Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019) Poster

Well done - clear, powerful and sad - just like her vocals.
lauelxo31 August 2019
No need for pretentious bs and more tales of sex and drugs. Just a rare and remarkable voice surrounded by devoted musical relationships. The archival footage looks and sounds wonderful. Her thoughts on a dirty rotten business from early on are fascinating. She was something - no vanity. Crystal clear pipes that for youngsters should be a revelation. In the end, in English or Spanish - that voice knocks you back on your youthful heart.
75 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you heard her music in its era, you will enjoy this film
nyccents8 September 2019
I loved this film, as Linda Ronstadt's music is part of my history growing up. It was great to see the vast range of her styles and variety of her many, many hits --something I didn't take note as it is happening amidst all the other factors of growing up. I would have given this movie 10 stars but it is more of a positive spin with some allusions to the obstacles she faced, rather than a revealing bio-pic. Nothing as telling as the bio-pics of Freddie Mercury or Elton John that are both truly superb pictures because as fans we gained insight into their struggles as well on their way to success. To be fair, there is some discussion about drugs, sexism and health issues, but it is not critical to the film. I totally enjoyed the film because it was sort of "greatest hits" of LR, (her actual performances) with famous people commenting and some fun collaborations thrown into the mix. Well done and keeps your interest throughout. If you like Linda Ronstadt's music, you will enjoy this film!
27 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see if you love music and want to be inspired...
nlynn179 September 2019
This is an uplifting, beautiful chronicling of Linda Ronstadt's life and career. Her versatility, independence, goodness, intelligence and amazing talent are inspiring, and we sure need some inspiration these days. Many don't know that Linda has Mexican roots, and that her forays into so many genres (pop, country, folk, rock, opera, classics, Spanish-language albums...) were generated by the eclecticism of her early family life - from singing with family at home, and sitting by the radio (her "best friend" as a child) listening to musical broadcasts. The movie emphasizes Linda's true love of singing, her commitment to being authentic, being one of the first women to lead in the male-dominated music industry, and her enduring friendships with both men and women. This is a wonderful documentation of someone achieving the American dream with honesty and authenticity - and overcoming limits for women via talent and presence of mind. And, ultimately, she teaches us by giving us this film how to LIVE after having been diagnosed with a progressive fatal illness in 2009 (Parkinson's).
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning voice is an understatement
markanthonyparra8 September 2019
What a wonderful experience... lots of terrific concert footage. She truly could sing anything, any style. This is a must for fans and those who, for lack of age or perhaps being in a long-term coma, are unfamiliar with her delightfully outspoken character and phenomenal pipes... my only regret is that it could have easily been an extra half-hour long. Cannot get enough of her!!
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To Know Her is to Love Her
jadepietro14 September 2019
GRADE: B+

THIS FILM IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

IN BRIEF: A very entertaining documentary that showcases one of America's most legendary musical icon's diverse legacy.

JIM'S REVIEW: It is that voice, that distinctive sound that ranges from vulnerable laments to hard rock belting that made Linda Ronstadt a musical icon. Directed with loving care by filmmakers Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, this documentary follows this singer's journey from her early days with The Stone Poneys to a solo career which encompassed rock, pop, country, Broadway, American standards, and traditional Mexican music. A rich and varied musical legacy unmatched by anyone else.

Back in the late sixties, while rhythm & blues, folk, pop, and country music openly celebrated the female singers of that era, rock & roll was mostly a man's world. Sure a few powerhouse female vocalists broke through and made their presence known... Janis Joplin, Grace Slick...and a young unassuming talent named Linda Ronstadt. A new documentary, Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice, is a straight forward biography about this trailblazer who championed women's rights and many liberal causes. One remains in awe of this spirited singer who was more interested in facing her own vocal challenges to excel in her craft than stay the course with a successful formulaic musical career. She was unafraid to try a host of musical genres even when the record producers said no to her requests. The film showcases many of her concerts and musical performances with archival footage that captures her unmistakable artistry and determination.

The filmmakers compile some wonderful musical segments and intersperse them with praise-worthy interviews by friends and colleagues. Providing background information and exposition of Ms. Ronstadt's legendary career are: Jackson Browne, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Bonnie Raitt, Peter Asher, and Aaron Neville, to name a few. Now that's a cast of characters! Directors Mr. Epstein and Mr. Friedman craft their documentary skillfully mixing the narrative with the song lyrics so seamlessly that the end result never feels like short snippets of a performance. One savors the words and the music throughout this excellent documentary.

The film is highly entertaining with a touch of the bittersweet, as Ms. Ronstadt was forced into an early retirement due to the loss of muscle control from her on-going bout with Parkinson's disease. (There is a touching moment that shows her inner strength and willpower when she and family members sing a song together that is quite moving and brought this reviewer to tears.)

Still, like many biographies, the storytelling is conventionally presented. The beginning of the film uses Ms. Ronstadt's own narration from her 2011 memoir and her line delivery comes off as too businesslike and awkward. She sings much better than she reads. Fortunately, the filmmakers lose that approach very early and focus more on the music and comments from others to tell her backstory, which works beautifully. Another minor flaw is the avoidance of any negative information as the film skims over her diet pill addiction issues and her romantic relationships, strictly staying in line with only her musical accomplishments. (While former lover, J.D. Southern, is interviewed for the film, the absence of former Governor Jerry Brown is quite telling and a real omission to her personal story.)

For a woman who took such bold and great stride to advance her craft, the singer deserves a more fearless and daring treatment of her life story. But that is not the intent of these filmmakers (or perhaps Ms. Ronstadt herself). Instead, they create an affectionate tribute and a long-standing testament to Ms. Ronstadt's varied career choices with a myriad of her achievements (10 Grammy Awards, an Emmy, Tony Award and Golden Globe nominations, etc.). It is a loving valentine, a warts-and-none retelling of her life and her numerous musical highlights. Just being able to see and hear her vocal interpretations to songs such as Blue Bayou or Long, Long Time or Get Closer confirms a remarkable repertoire that will last for decades to come.

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice may be the sweetest sound you'll ever hear. Go see this documentary and be totally captivated by this superstar and her rich musical heritage. To know her is to love her.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect doc for a perfect singer.
jdesando17 September 2019
"I had a galvanised voice: I could sing through a 105 fever or a flu or a root canal or anything that you could throw at me." Linda Ronstadt

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice is a perfect documentary about a rock star: It's not the confessional like David Crosby: Remember My Name, not fanciful about Bruce Springsteen in Blinded by the Light, nor romantic like the Beatles' almost-tribute Yesterday.

It is authentic about the titular gifted lady, who could step into any genre easily, and who could win the audience's heart without falsification.

To hear her sing Different Drum is to be hurtled back to the '60's and '70's when a good folk-rock song could make you believe that women were empowered: "All I'm saying is I'm not ready/For any person, place, or thing to try and pull the reins in on me-e-e-e-e." When you see her, Dolly, and Emmy sing together, you want more, and you forget how tough it was to break through the male-dominated rock scene.

Directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman deftly guide the audience through the small lives of friends as well as the big musical moments that define Linda's life. As she guides herself through light opera and Mexican music, we can't help but be further curious while respecting her we'll-earned privacy. That the Mexican album sold the most for Spanish-speaking albums in history is testament to her ability to do well whatever she wanted to do.

This doc is exemplary for giving some lengthy time watching Linda sing as well as just right for the biographical information and talking-head commentary. Her acceptance of Parkinson's disease later in life is another testament to a woman of courage. In fact, there are more achieving women in this doc than in Wonder Woman.

"I miss singing every day. I can't sing anymore. My voice doesn't work. I have Parkinson's disease, and it sometimes takes my words away from me." Linda Ronstadt

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice is all you need to know about her and her music. Enjoy.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Informative and well done doc of a legendary voice!
blanbrn2 January 2020
"Linda Ronstadt:The Sound of My Voice" is one strong doc that shows and tells the story of a folk rock music legend. From her humble start in Arizona to her travel to L.A for fame and stardom, it was clear that Linda was determined to make it big! Also family and her Mexican background would always blend her music which included country, pop, rock, and love folk ballads. Interviews from family, friends, and other acts are touching. It was clear too that Linda had a gift of a strong voice and she shined as a female in a dominated male field of singers. She was also outspoken for women and human rights, also spotlighted is her relationship with former California governor Jerry Brown. Overall well done doc of a singing legend who touched many of our hearts with her voice!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"When will I be loved?"
Red-12522 September 2019
Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019) is a documentary based on Linda Ronstadt's autobiography. The film was directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman.

Ronstadt was a superb artist and she has had a fascinating life. She mostly appears in the film via clips of her varied artistic endeavors, most of which are wonderful. (Yes--I'm a Linda Ronstadt fan.)

Also appearing are performing artists who knew and performed with Ronstadt: Bonnie Raitt, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Jackson Browne.

The movie is a musical delight, and a tribute to a wonderful performer and a wonderful human being. If you enjoyed Linda Ronstadt as a performer, this is a must-see film. Even if you haven't heard of Ronstadt, the movie is worth seeing.

We saw the film at Rochester's great Little Theatre. If you have a chance to see it in a theater, go for it. If not, it will work on the small screen. The movie has an extremely high IMDb rating of 8.2. Trust IMDb raters on this one.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bittersweet and heartfelt docubio on one of the greatest entertainers of our time; one of the year's best films.
george.schmidt8 September 2019
LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE (2019) **** Reverent and well-executed biographical documentary on the pioneering rock star Linda Ronstadt depicting her career as a female entertainer who made an indelible impression in her field beginning in the 1960s as a folk rock singer to a quartet then inevitably a solo career the likes the world had never witnessed with a string of hits, platinum selling albums, concert tours, and her forays into Mexican music and standards that solidified her as a performer whose soulful and passionate voice that has recently been side-lined with her contracting Parkinson's Disease. Directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman incorporates talking head tributes from her friends/peers like Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris and Don Henley with vintage footage of her singing with deep impact. One of the year's best films.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a voice!
rossanova13 October 2019
I have been in love this voice for decades. Didn't realize just how amazing she was. From rock to country to light opera to great standards, she blew the lid off of all of them.

I don't think you have to be familiar with her to be knocked out by these performances. Sadly, Parkinson's has silenced her professionally but this tribute will hopefully make some new fans.

Beautiful.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic documentary-Heartfelt and honest
johnchristopher-19 September 2019
I became familiar with Linda's music in the 70's, and followed her career throughout my life. The filmmakers do a fine job of telling her story, and Linda herself does voiceover narration seamlessly which was created by using snippets of Linda's many interviews over the years.

You will appreciate the film even if you are unfamiliar with her as performer. Hearing the performances and recordings remind us of the power, range and soulful voice she had.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a different drum
ferguson-613 September 2019
Greetings again from the darkness. This may be a conventionally-structured documentary profiling a well-known person, but that person possessed extraordinary talent, and her story deserves to be told ... or better yet, heard. Parkinson 's disease has robbed Linda Ronstadt of her celestial vocal gift, but co-directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman succeed in proving how dynamic she was as a singer, and also how she influenced so many others.

The film opens with the audio of Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett introducing her on their respective TV programs, while a montage of magazine covers and album covers remind of us of her once immense and widespread popularity. We then take a journey through Ronstadt's childhood. Her grandfather invented the electric stove and electric toaster, and music played a significant role in all family gatherings. She describes how, as a young girl in Tucson, the radio was her "best friend in the world" as she listened to music from both sides of the border.

In 1964, at the age of 18 and the urging of her musician friend Bobby Kimmel, Ronstadt moved from Tucson to southern California to join a community of musicians. She rented a flat in Santa Monica for $80 per month - a price point that barely secures a meal at a decent restaurant in the area these days. Thanks to The Byrds, folk rock was exploding on the scene. Ronstadt sang back up on Neil Young's huge hit "Heart of Gold", and she, along with many others, performed regularly at The Troubadour. It's here where she crossed paths with Don Henley, Jackson Browne, and JD Souther, the latter of which became her boyfriend, songwriter, and producer.

The steady stream of interviews includes Henley, Browne, and Souther, as well as LA Times music critic Robert Hilburn, Asylum Records founder David Geffen, Bonnie Raitt, producer John Boylon, the legendary Ry Cooder, Cameron Crowe, Karla Bonoff, and (former Beatles) agent and producer Peter Asher. Most memorable are the recollections of Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, who collaborated with Ronstadt on the 1987 Grammy winning album "Trio". Ms. Parton's segment is especially insightful as she contrasts her own instinctive singing style with that of Ronstadt's analytic and perfectionist approach. Ms. Harris is featured in a clip of herself performing at a very young age, and she's quite emotional when discussing Ronstadt's gift.

It's quite fascinating to follow the number of shifts in her career and musical style. After achieving so much as a folk and pop singer, she was incredibly successful in country music, and as a tribute to her mother's favorites with American Standards arranged by Nelson Riddle. She also mesmerized with the operatic songs in "Pirates of Penzance" and stunned the music industry with her best-selling album of Mexican standards. Although she labels herself a balladeer and harmonizer, those descriptions are far too humble, and underscore the opinionated talent she was. The clips of her performing onstage are breath-taking. Her voice combining power, texture and nuance.

Linda Ronstadt was never a songwriter. She was an expert song interpreter like Elvis and Sinatra. She claims "every song has a face", and the numerous clips of her singing provide visual proof of what she means. The film touches on her early addiction to diet pills/speed, as well as her relationship with Jerry Browne, the duets with Aaron Neville and Ruben Blades, and for bonus points mentions the influence of the late great Harry Dean Stanton. We see her 2013 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame tribute performed by five fabulous female singers ... and it's their performance that really drives home just what a pure and unique voice Ronstadt possessed. While the trip through the many genres is interesting, what really stands out are the clips of her on stage ... making yet another song all hers. Linda Ronstadt certainly sang to the beat of a different drum, and we were fortunate to hear her.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spellbinding
ronterry557 November 2019
I waited so long for this documentary to play in my area. It arrived, along with Linda's nephews, The Ronstadt Brothers, for a Q&A afterwards. I was spellbound during the entire movie. Linda narrates and provides insight into her life and career. The clips of her singing all the songs I've loved her for had me weeping. Her pure soprano is overwhelmingly beautiful. She can go from singing a heartbreaking ballad to wailing country, rock, and standards. There are tributes from many, many other stars. There are interviews she gave that I've never seen before. The movie was very well made. I did not want it to end. The bittersweet end with Linda singing with her nephew also showed how her Parkinson's has progressed. Her hands shaking are noticible. It is an extremely wonderful movie about a true superstar with a vocal gift that is unmatched. I've pre-ordered the blu-ray so I can enjoy this movie many more times.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Artist
M_Exchange14 September 2019
The thing that should strike you most as you watch this film is the fact that Linda Ronstadt never stopped challenging herself, and she always succeeded. She changed genres several times, she challenged herself with singing a foreign language, she tried stage acting, and she revitalized lost gems that were considered "elevator music." She removed herself from her comfort zone many times, and she could have fallen straight on her face. But she did it anyway. She is one of the boldest musicians ever. As people state in the film, any one of the things that I listed could have damned her to obscurity forever because the general public also doesn't like to leave *its* comfort zone with a known performer. They want the familiar hits and a familiar genre. Familiarity bored Linda. As she stated in the film, when she played the same songs in the same arenas time after time she could practically hear the guitar solo from last week echoing in the building. Boring. A true artist wants challenges. She is a true artist, and her life is well worth researching.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Music Movie To Date
devilwolfdog22 September 2019
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody and I loved Rocket Man. This movie is better than either of them. A must see.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Pure, Biographical Gem!
lbenot10 October 2019
Well edited and powerfully assembled, this beautifully done narrative begins with the calm words and pure voice of the star herself recounting her parents and early life, followed by just the right amount of commentary from those who know and love her. The vintage video of her performances tells the rest.

As will be the case with anyone who sees this important biography, I now understand and appreciate her important professional accomplishments and unique talent far more, but more importantly, now have a heartfelt and deep respect for the beautiful person she was, and now is.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best music documentary of the Year.
beauxleex26 November 2019
The filmmakers never get in the way of the subject's musical journey. A straightforward reminder of a glorious voice and why Linda Ronstadt was the beloved Queen of her Scene. With the rare grace to never crave her own reflection, the film exposes much of what makes Ronstadt, once the embodiment of Southwestern cool, such a remarkable National treasure. The audience, to my surprise, shared both tears and cheers. Naturally smart, heartbreaking and a voice from the Gods - no wonder it had legs.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why hasn't this women been given a Kennedy Center Honor Already?
Dan_L10 November 2019
That's the question that'll be on your mind after viewing this splendid and loving docu-bio of Linda Ronstadt. Far more entertaining and informative than "Echo in the Canyon" which was about the southern California music scene, "The Sound of My Voice" offers more insight and a far more enjoyable song selection. And it's got Linda Ronstadt singing in all her multitude of styles. It's a great story, hr life, one that should inspire young women the world wide to chart their own paths and not let us guys push them around. Ronstadt herself is a refreshing change from the typical ego-centric, take-myself-oh-so-seriously pretentious rock and roll singer. It's hard to image she had so little confidence in herself when the world around her loved her singing. I wish they would have at least noted her frequent covering of songs by the late Warren Zevon (Carmelita, Poor Poor Pitiful Me, etc.) and that her long time manager Peter Asher was half of the delightful British Invasion duo Peter & Gordon. But overall, they produced a lovingly crafted biopic of what seems to have been a very wonderful person. The main thing I cannot understand is why Linda Ronstadt has not received a Kennedy Center honor? Most deserving.
Go see this!
jacleary-5876022 September 2019
What a great movie. I definitely recommend going to see this. The music is great in the storyline touching.
Memorable
Intermissionman_21 September 2019
Wow this Documentary really brings back the memories for me. We had a console stereo and my Mom and Dad had a ton of 33 records including Linda Ronstadt records. Even as a 9 10 year old kid i used to Love to play her records and cassette tapes with the volume set high. Can whistle all her hits. I remember seeing her on Johnny Carson as a teenager. I looked her up on Wikipedia after the Film, quite the read. So Sad she can no longer perform. This Film will churn up the memories of Linda for you too ! Her Voice and Songs will be heard and remembered forever.
Desert Angel
virek2136 October 2019
She was born into a prosperous family of mixed Mexican and German heritage in the extreme heat of the Sonoran Desert in Tucson, Arizona in 1946. She left her home for Los Angeles at the end of 1964 to follow her dreams of being a singer. And from her official debut in 1967 to her final live concert in the fall of 2009, she became one of the most respected, loved, and appreciated figures in American popular music history. She is Linda Ronstadt. And although her already-lengthy career was abruptly ended by a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease in 2013 that crippled her voice, she had already achieved far more than she ever dreamed possible, while still being modest and forever plagued with self-doubts about just how great a singer she truly was. This great life is laid out in the heartfelt documentary film LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE.

Bracketed by a visit she made in early 2019 to her family's ancestral home of Banamichi, a four-hour drive across the border into the state of Sonora in northern Mexico, THE SOUND OF MY VOICE charts all the myriad musical influences inside her family and through her love of the radio that sparked the desire in Linda to be a singer. She narrates a fair amount of the film in her own low-key, modest fashion as to what she encountered in her first few years in the music business, including her appreciation of The Doors as a band (but not their lead singer Jim Morrison); how she needed a band for a 1971 tour, resulting in the birth of the Eagles; and then the monstrous breakthrough she had at the mid-point of the 1970s with "You're No Good". Alongside dozens of clips of interviews that Linda gave over the decades, thee are also interviews with the many friends and colleagues she associated with, including long-time producers John Boylan and Peter Asher; singer-songwriters J.D. Souther, Karla Bonoff, and Jackson Browne; record mogul David Geffen; Joe Smith, president of Elektra/Asylum records during Linda's peak years of the 70s and 80s; and music critics/friends Cameron Crowe (of JERRY MAGUIRE and ALMOST FAMOUS fame) and the L.A. Times' Robert Hillburn. All of them discuss the impact that Linda made on the music business and more than a few of their lives as well. And they also talk about how, after conquering the once male-dominated arenas of rock and pop, she branched out to explore other equally valid styles: opera ("The Pirates Of Penzance"); American pop standards (WHAT'S NEW?), the Mexican mariachi/ranchera music of her father's heritage (CANCIONES DE MI PADRE), and many others, all of which put a lot of terror into her handlers and her producers, who feared how such diversions would derail her career. Those were risks that she was willing to take at a time of safety-first in the record industry, though she did acknowledge that they were risks; but she also felt that playing in big arenas and stadiums, though they made her tons of money, were absolutely not conducive to good music making, either for her or her fans (and indeed they weren't).

Linda's career was not without political controversy; but most of that is shunted aside for her music (notably there is no mention of the 2004 firestorm she created be advocating Michael Moore's film FAHRENHEIT 9/11 onstage at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, and only a few minutes on her relationship with California governor Jerry Brown). However, there is a telling interview she gave to an Australian talk show host in 1983 with respect to her then-controversial decision to tour apartheid-ridden South Africa, and her astonishment as to how other aspects of her political beliefs (especially her disdain for nuclear power and then-president Reagan) could possibly be controversial. The great ride, of course, slowed down when her voice started faltering after the turn of the millennium, though the career-ending diagnosis wasn't made official until 2013. Filmmakers Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Freedman (THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK), however, don't dwell extraneously on this tragic aspect of Linda's life, only showing that it was there. And as Linda says near the end, she had a wonderful life, and she still intends to live out her life the way she had always done: with a lot of heart and stoicism.

While seemingly short at slightly under 100 minutes, LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE is an absolutely brilliant, uplifting pop music documentary on a woman who defied the historical sexism of the music business and became a shining light for future female artists to follow. Linda Ronstadt is an American treasure, and this movie officially seals that deal for all time.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make sure to see this film if you love music and want to be inspired...
nlynn179 September 2019
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see for music lovers
natcalgary9 January 2020
I always thought Linda Ronstadt was a country singer and never really listened to her music growing up. It was not until I watched this documentary that I realized the range of music this incredible woman had.

Rock, pop, Latin, country , opera... she truly had a very memorable career that touched the lives of many. Some of the notable musicians she worked with throughout her years astounded me.

Over all a great movie for anyone who respects the music industry.

8.1
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Documentary
Johnny_West5 January 2020
I was a casual fan of Linda Ronstadt, so much of the information provided in this documentary was amazing and it made me appreciate and respect her talents a lot more.

I never knew how close Ronstadt was to The Eagles, and how she helped create The Eagles, and promoted them during their early years. She also had some strong roots with many other great singers and musicians back in the early 1970s. Ronstadt never has gotten the credit for a lot, and this documentary provides great background info. There are also many great interviews with 1970s musicians that worked with her, and their memories of her are very honest and touching.

I re-discovered Linda Ronstadt thanks to this documentary, and it was great to also find out cool stuff about some of her famous friends.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
benarden235 January 2020
A great documentary competitive with current film biopics. Head and shoulders above most. There are many fascinating bits within this film, including very personal and moving segments of her just describing her life. . 10 out of 10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.