The Rental (2020) Poster

(2020)

This was pointless.
maakus26 July 2020
A generic, pointless and anticlimactic movie that fizzle out into nothingness. It always amazes me when people get a shot at making a full length movie (in this case, Dave Franco) and when they don't have anything new or good to bring to the table. Then why even bother? A waste of money, time and talent (Stevens and Brie.)
214 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vacancy meets The Strangers
xbenx-7835225 July 2020
I wanted to like the movie, but sadly it's been done before and better with the movies in my title. That said the cast is great, I think Dan Stevens is one of the best actors around.

So In my opinion it just doesn't do anything new and the ending was also poor, let's hope Mr Franco can come back with something a little more original next time.
114 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent little thriller with third act problems.
faolanredwolf24 July 2020
Two brothers and their significant others spend a weekend in a beautiful beachfront villa. What could possibly go wrong?

Dave Franco does a decent job for a first time director. The Movie is beautifully shot, atmospheric and moody as all hell. The cast is awesome, I always enjoy Dan Stevens and he's a delight here, but so is everyone else. I almost loved this movie but sadly the whole thing falls apart in the third act. Its as if a tense thriller is interrupted by a slasher film and its as abrupt and awkward as it sounds. That said the movie does not go where you expect it to and it is shocking and surprising.
95 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vacuous garbage
brettacarson26 January 2021
Don't waste your time. This movie lacks any characteristics that constitute good storytelling. There's no character development, the plot is simple...I can't be bothered adding anymore, much like the folks involved with this cheesy production.
50 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
otnememento-224 July 2020
Way better than the ratings. It keeps the intrigue for the first part and the rest has a good rhythm. Pretty decent directing by Franco. I don't see it lower than at least a 6. It is one of the lowest ratings compared to the quality of the film I have seen in my whole life.
122 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent enough popcorn film.
shawthingproductions5 December 2020
Dave Franco doesn't bring anything new to the horror genre with his feature film directorial debut (which he also wrote) but he does provide an entertaining hour and a half (give or take) in this film about two couples who have booked into an AirBnB type property, only to discover a number of hidden cameras around the building.

Acting is decent enough and another good film for Dan Stevens' ever growing resume. Take this film as intended (a fun thriller - popcorn movie) and you will be entertained enough. Go in looking for the deep and meaningful and you'll hate it.

Ignore the reviews stating it is "pointless" - they clearly expected too much.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tense & uncomfortable... but definitely not scary
haydenpannell24 July 2020
Whilst this is a decent effort for a directional debut with a constant feeling of tension and uncomfortability, the R18+ rating and horror genre classification seems misplaced.

There's a real longing for a decent new horror film, and this isn't it.

If you've seen every other horror film and have nothing better to do with time to kill, then give this film a watch... but if you don't get a chance to watch it, you're not really missing anything great.
52 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dave Franco tries too many new things for the first time.
movieman6-413-92951024 July 2020
The Rental is a new horror thriller directed, written and produced by Dave Franco. This is the first film he has directed and he is more known as an actor in the film world.

In the film, brothers Charlie (Dan Stevens) and Josh (Jeremy Allen White) decide to go on a weekend trip with their friends. They have found a perfect house online by the sea and are trying to make it a pleasant weekend. They only suspect that their landlord is somewhat racist towards Josh his Muslim girlfriend Mina (Sheila Vand). Despite this mistrust, the four try to make it a fun weekend, but during this time together they get to know each other better than they expected. This is how their mutual relationships are tested. When Charlie discovers they've been secretly filmed all weekend, he must choose to find the hidden footage or confess what he secretly did over the weekend.

Dave Franco has portrayed this film as his first directed film, but he has also taken on a bit too much hay by partly writing and producing this film. By taking on all these different tasks, he still struggles to convey the film clearly. At one point, the movie almost comes across as a long episode of Temptation Island and turns more into a teen drama than a horror thriller. This aspect comes to the fore without further explanation. Due to these unclear and sudden changes of genre, the film can come across as tedious.

The acting comes across as nice, but due to the unclear script, the cast doesn't really have many chances to make something special out of their roles. The characters initially come across as adults with work, but later the characters behave more like teenagers.
78 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unlikable characters detract from solid movie
bt698nhj6 March 2021
The premise is interesting and the cinematography is good if understated. The story is a variation of others we've seen before. I'm sure that may detract for some but I don't mind twists on an existing idea. But the characters, ugh! I usually don't need to like the characters to enjoy a movie, but when a movie is so character-centric, it can detract, and in this case it did for me. Also, the ending implies something that seems implausible. I will have to Google to see if I can find any rationale for it.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good enough to want a sequel
yahel0226 July 2020
Even though the film is a long way from being perfect, I think it can defenitly open a modern slasher franchise, with great and uniqe storytelling for this ganre. I'm really intrested in what Franco can further do with this concept. Dear Dave, if u see this - please, I want a sequel!
51 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a waste of talent!
blpkst25 July 2020
Don't waste your money on this terrible clunker! What a waste of talent because the cast is top notch. The script is subpar and the story ridiculous. It was beyond amateurish.

So sorry Lip, Trudy and Matthew. Wink!
60 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please Don't watch this crap !
johnnash-1842025 July 2020
It's a complete waste of money. All this above 4 stars (those are paid promotions). Very very bad and cliche story. Too many holes and too much nonsense.
72 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A suspenseful and realistic horror/thriller!
orangelemon123424 July 2020
Overall I thought it was great! It was gripping, the storyline was solid and atmosphere was on point the whole way through. Would definitely recommend if you liked The Strangers and You're Next.
58 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling ride!!!
cartervanh1 August 2020
This movie is gonna be underrated and it shouldn't be! I am such a fan of Allison Bre so I was excited to see this movie considering it is Dave Franco's directing debut. I was not disappointed in the film. It starts off pretty slow, but halfway through the movie it gets so much better. Unpredictable flick. I was the most impressed with Shelia Vands performance and I'm excited to see her take on more mainstream roles!
46 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much underrated...
mariapasli24 October 2020
Although not a genuine horror movie theme, however it is a very good movie, atmospheric and with a great acting! Keeps you on the edge the whole time...
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
saphira_dragon-8027025 July 2020
It's pretty good. It's very slow. Some interesting character drama in here. There's a little twist at the end. Nothing very scary, but nice tense atmosphere at times. It's fine, no problem if you watch it! It's pretty good.
32 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want that 1hr 30m back
lukemurray-408467 February 2021
Please don't waste your time like I did. Full of plot holes, pointless actions by the cast like, let's go for a walk but leave the dog tied up.....calling the guy they rented it from a racist for some unknown reason. The woman saying they're there to have fun but spends the whole evening in bed. Randomly taking ecstasy. The whole thing is a mess. Prove me wrong. It took a third of the film for anything to happen at all. The characters were annoying, me personally I wanted the guy to start offing them about 5 minutes in.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Another Bad Movie
pos_itive29 January 2021
Movie went from dog crap to super crap! I want my time back.

Movie was ok until the "villain" revealed himself and it was just dumb, stupid, lame didn't fit in the story at all. The mask bit was what really ruined it.

Don't waste your time watching this one.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unoriginal and tries too hard.
SnobReviews27 July 2020
"The Rental" tries too hard to be something it's not and let me tell you, it's not a great effort.

In this horror film, two couples on an oceanside getaway grow suspicious that the host of their rental house may be spying on them.

Co-writer and director Dave Franco attempts his hand at being a filmmaker in this somewhat horror, maybe a thriller flick, and I felt absolutely nothing throughout. The four characters are one more annoying than the other and the overall "The Rental" is a flop. How this film is doing well amongst other critics is beyond me. The final outcome also raises the question; "but what's the point of all this?". I won't break my head to find out.

Follow @snobmedia for more reviews!
22 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not horror, zero tension. Zero stars.
paxam-4960824 July 2020
Two couples, cabin, weird land lord, cheating, death and no explanation, the end. Do not watch, anyone positive about this piece of feces is brain dead. Avoid like the plague!
76 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow this movie didn't suck like I expected it to
cameronjames-869593 August 2020
The rental was a movie that I honestly didn't expect to be that good because from the trailer it looked like every other horror movie and honestly it is but this movie is actually pretty good and honestly Dave Franco did a great job with this movie for his first time in the directing chair. There is a lot to like about this movie even though it's not a perfect movie. First of the cast in this movie all do a great job in there respected roles but the 2 main stand outs of this movie have to be Dan Stevens and Alison Brie are both really great in this movie. The music in this movie honestly is really good to and it plays a great part in setting up the creepy autmosphere in this movie. This movie also has pretty good cinematography and also is a really pretty movie. The scares in this movie are very little but when they happen they are very well done and honestly had a chill going down my spine. The movie also doesn't overstay it's welcome it's only a 90 minute movie and that is perfect runtime for this movie. The movie is also a lot of fun to watch. But this is not a perfect movie at all and it does have some problems to it. The characters in this movie are not likeable at all they are all jerks yes Stevens and Brie's characters are the only decent characters in this movie but they are still jerks. The movies also has a lot of horror movie cliches that can't be escaped. Also, this movie does have a lot of interesting plot points that just don't get any looking into which sucks because they were really interesting. Overall, I really liked the rental more than I expected to, yes it's not a perfect horror movie but it's for sure a horror movie you should give a try.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good, little bit predictable except the ending
jossanlindgren30 January 2021
It's a pretty good film, you can predict some events but that didn't make it less good. Little bit slow maybe but i enjoyed it overall!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under-rated acting, and a modern theme.
amandakociszewski17 December 2020
Quite enjoyed this one. The cast is comprised of talented and under-rated actors, and the plot is especially superb. It was a modern spin on a peeping tom. It felt real, and relatable. Yet I have to mention a previous review mentioning a "flawed third act." I can attest to this, as I felt that it had a rushed ending. I almost wish the story spent less time on character development (although still integral), and more time on the tension build up throughout. Still really enjoyed the film, it makes you feel a little more aware of your surroundings, and it definitely fulfilled my horror quarantine fix!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sooo frustrating to watch
ivana-6829925 July 2020
Nothing made any sense, all the conversations seemed pointless and lacked depth and-or witt. They mostly just fought over weird stuff that didn't add any development to the plot (if there was one) or the characters.

No resoulutions or consequenses to any of the issues they create/encounter throughout the movie. They created dilemmas, but no epiphanies... They just kinda ended the movie lol

Good actors wins an extra star.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.