The Green Hornet (2011) Poster

Great parody, rather than a classic super hero movie.
scarlatov17 March 2011
If you don't know what to expect and you haven't even seen the trailer than i believe you are going to have great fun. The movie is not a classic main stream super hero movie but a very nice parody making fun of the way super hero movies are made, emphasizing on their blank spots. Do not expect a meaningless script like "super hero movie". Green Hornet has its own storyline that is consistent, but the characters and situations are hilarious. I haven't laughed so much for a long time, which makes the movie a success judging by the result. I believe it is a great way to spent an evening if you want to relax and watch an easy entertaining movie.
96 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kato carried the film.
OllieSuave-00726 May 2014
This is a below average superhero movie where Seth Rogan and Jay Chou star in the movie update to the classic TV series starring Van Williams and Bruce Lee as the masked crime fighting team.

As with any superhero movie, there are plenty of fight scenes and alter-ego suspense. The special effects were quite good and the story is average, nothing too exciting or impressing about it. Jay Chou made a pretty good Kato with his serious and die hard attitude and his skillful martial arts moves. Seth Rogan made an awful Green Hornet - obnoxious, loud, annoying and unsympathetic. His gruff, raspy and incredibly irritating voice made me glad that Kato delivered him several good punches. Cameron Diaz looked like she was thrown in for good measure.

When you end up rooting against the lead superhero, there's really not much enjoyment in this movie.

Grade D-
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The hornet is back...
paul_haakonsen26 February 2011
I watched "The Green Hornet" with a sense of skepticism. Having grown up with the original TV series, this movie really had some big shoes to fill out. And surprisingly enough, it managed to do so in a good enough way. But there were also aspects of the movie that were less than successful.

First of all, Seth Rogen (playing Britt Reid/The Green Hornet). No, no, no. I know he was involved in directing and writing the movie and all, but he is not chiseled out for an action role of this caliber. I do admire his spirit and enthusiasm, but he is more suited for comedy movies. Seeing him in this role didn't go well with me. He did bring along some comedy, but it didn't work so well in this particular movie.

And the scene at the beginning where Britt Reid was bringing home a woman and they went through the garage and sat in all the cars (showing them off for the audience, actually) in high-speed capture, what was up with that? Already at that point, the movie started to falter and crash.

Jay Chou (playing Kato) certainly had HUGE shoes to fill out after the original role was played by Bruce Lee. And actually Chou did a decent enough job, with good acting and well-choreographed action/fighting sequences. So hats off to him for that.

However, the most memorable person in the movie was Christoph Waltz (playing Chudnofsky). He was fantastic as a villain and worked his role very well and very convincingly. Plus there was also a good sense of humor to his role, and it worked well.

The story told in the movie was fast-paced, captivating and interesting enough to keep you enthralled throughout the entire feature length.

For an action movie, then "The Green Hornet" is actually quite good. But for a follow-up to the legacy of the TV series, the movie is a mediocre attempt with good intentions. Had they cast someone else for Britt Reid, it would have worked much better. Now, I am not saying that Seth Rogen is a bad actor, he was just ill-suited for this role. "The Green Hornet" is good entertainment if you are in for an evening of action, corny one-liners and a trip down memory lane.
78 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Campy, corny, but visually entertaining.
jccwu15 January 2011
I've been keeping my expectations low for this film and I'm glad that I did. I was a big fan of the 60's television show, but I didn't watch any episodes until the mid 90's; so I've been waiting almost 15 years for a film adaptation on the Green Hornet.

The film is campy, the story is corny, the villain is wasted and Seth Rogen wrote the script. Based on the plot and the dialogs, it's not a well made movie; but it doesn't try to be. This movie could have been written more seriously and be on the same map as a Christopher Nolan's Batman film; but instead, it went on the road to be a comedic film with a lot of explosions. Some stuff didn't work, other stuff was clever & visually entertaining.

The stuff that I admired the most are the homage to the original television show. There were some criticism to the 60's show about how the Kato character was just a sidekick, butler, manservant, an aid or a chauffeur to the Green Hornet. Bruce Lee didn't have much dialogs and he didn't have much screen time. It was during the 60's and just having an Asian-American to be an everyday character on a show was a big deal, so I never saw that as an insult. In this movie, they make a HUGE deal about that subject as Seth Rogen & Jay Chou are constantly arguing about Kato's role throughout the whole film.

Other homage to the television show is a drawn image of Bruce Lee, Al Hirt's theme "Flight of the Bumblebee" tune, and there's even a scenario from my favorite episode that has been written into the movie. The Black Beauty is also a very awesome car! The funny thing is that in the TV show, the Black Beauty was a brand new & very recent 1966 Imperial Crown sedan. In the movie, it's the exact same vehicle; but it's now a classical vintage car.

I saw the 3D version and there were very few sequences where the 3D effects was worth the extra price of admission. I recommend saving your money and watch the 2D version instead.

To finally sum everything up; the movie isn't good, but it brought back my love for the characters inside the Green Hornet world. The film is visually entertaining for what it is. I hope there's a sequel, but that somebody else will write its screenplay.
132 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Split Personality
jdesando14 January 2011
"So this is what you want out of your life? This gives you sense of fulfillment? I spend all night, writing about the corruption in this town, and you do nothing." Jack Reid (Tom Wilkinson) to his son, Britt (Green Hornet Seth Rogen) The Green Hornet is unlike most other comic-book-hero film adaptation: Seth Rogen's slacker Hornet is a dipstick without a clue about navigating the crime world while Kato ( pop star Jay Chou), his valet/associate, pretty much plays the Bruce Lee/kung-fu role as cool, even when he's goofing with the Hornet, which is most of the time. It is also a bromance with Cameron Diaz as Lenore Case, a love interest who helps us get over the homoerotic subtext.

Geeks know the Green Hornet franchise well: radio show from 1936 to 1952; TV show in 1966 by the producers of the campy Batman TV series, while Green Hornet's greatest asset was emerging martial arts star Bruce Lee. Writers Rogen and Evan Goldberg renew that 60's camp but with it seeming out of date, as if the parodic part of the genre cycle had long ago been played out and not welcome anymore. Of course, you could argue that Despicable Me, Kick Ass, Megamind, and Iron Man 2 last year took to parody, but each one of those is more successful at marrying the satire to the action than Green Hornet.

The personality of the film is split—it's either satire or action, Hornet or Kato. The film is a bit away from the accepted concepts of this sub-genre except in Chudnofsky (Christoph Waltz), the arch villain whose ironic reactions are an adept amalgam of menace and insouciance.

As he did in Inglorious Basterds, Waltz commands the screen with his charming menace. Actually he is equaled in the opening sequence, the best scene of the movie, when he faces off James Franco in a cameo, two hoods pissing about their territory. Franco is quite good as a semi-clueless drug lord.

Britt has daddy issues, specifically making something of his life while newspaper owner dad. Jack Reid (Tom Wilkinson), is a hero to the city. With dad's death, Britt decides to fight crime as the Green Hornet while letting everyone think he is a criminal (as in the original versions).

The gadgets are Bond-worthy, and Kato has the Bruce Lee charisma; it's just Rogen who seems out of place—not believable as a hero from beginning to end of the film. He can be amusing as a man-kid, but the geeks will never accept him as their hero.

The Green Hornet has lost its buzz.
103 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not groundbreaking, but an entertaining superhero movie nonetheless
HideYoKidsHideYoWife10 February 2011
Despite some impeding flaws, The Green Hornet not only delivers as an action film, but goes one better by providing comedy and is an enjoyable movie overall. Comparing it to other superhero movies is an invalid way to assess the quality of the film; it's a more light-hearted take on the genre without becoming a fully fledged comedy, allowing it to fall into a class of its own.

Superhero movies usually consist of the main character(s) either having superhuman powers, or just money and initiative. This film falls into the latter category and is unique in the sense that they're heroes who pose as villains in order to fight real villains, but the concept doesn't advance any further than that. The idea isn't revolutionary, but good enough to be entertaining and in a sense, unique.

The wealthy and immature newspaper publisher Britt Reid teams up with his butler Kato to form a crime fighting duo, who begin by cruising the street to find criminals to beat up. Kato is essentially both the brains and the brawn, doing most of the fighting, creating their equipment and filling their cars with ejector seats, explosives and guns. Britt on the other hand is rather incompetent, but still arrogantly considers himself to be just as valuable to the duo and provides most of the humour. Both of the main characters are likable and the contrast between their actual superhero ability is often amusing. The plot eventually evolves enough to end in a standoff between the duo and the main villain, after some not very surprising plot twists.

The action sequences contain fighting with and without guns, the majority of it being Kato jumping in slow motion and kicking people in the face. The balance between the two different types of fighting is excellent; too many gunfights would ruin the not-so-serious nature of the movie. The action scenes aren't repetitive and keep things fresh with varied environments, Kato's ability to identify danger (weapons glow red while Kato surveys the situation in slow motion), martial arts expertise and creative use of their Chrysler turned killing machine.

Superhero movie buffs might consider the film to be 'lame' or say that Seth Rogen wasn't fit to play the role of a superhero, but it's supposed to be more light hearted than other movies of the genre. Most heroes intend to help society with their superhuman powers or avenge the death of a loved one etc., whereas the Hornet duo fight crime because they're bored. Those expecting a deeper storyline will be disappointed, but this film accomplishes what it's supposed to. It doesn't take itself too seriously and despite a few issues, it's an entertaining movie overall and definitely something to look into if you're willing to appreciate it.
33 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Good
michael_wl7 January 2011
Ever since I heard about "The Green Hornet", I expected a bad movie. It didn't seem like it would work...boy was I wrong. I saw a screening of this recently, and walked in with zero expectations, and walked out having laughed throughout the movie and REALLY enjoyed the action and chemistry between Rogen and Jay Chou. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg did a fantastic job crafting this script, which could have been truly horrible, into a fun ride.

The true star of the movie is Jay Chou, aka Kato. His accent was sometimes hard to interpret, but he was surprisingly funny, and Kato-vision (time slows when his heart starts pumping during fights) turned out pretty cool in 3-D.

Thank goodness Nic Cage walked away from this, and Christoph Waltz came in as the bad guy, because Christoph inhabited the role better than Nic could have. I enjoy Nic Cage, but he wouldn't of worked in this movie, and with that character. Nic Cage would have been too over the top, where as Christoph went a subtle route.

The movie isn't perfect, I didn't feel Cameron Diaz added anything to the movie expect being "the hot girl" to create a rift between guys, but if you're looking for a pure escapist fun ride, then look no further than "The Green Hornet."
197 out of 382 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad its good
Get_Murffd14 January 2011
I went into this movie having read reviews talking about how the movie "couldn't decide" what it wanted to be. And they were Absolutely correct, but i couldn't care less. The Green Hornet is so horribly acted and over the top that it easily fits into the category of "SO BAD ITS GOOD", For fans of slap-stick classics such as "Flash Gordon" or anything by Mel Brooks, this movie is a MUST SEE. There are at least 3 or 4 scenes sprinkled throughout the movie that are meant to be completely sincere and serious. They utterly and gloriously fail. Seth Rogan couldn't decide if he wanted to do Iron Man or Pineapple Express, so he just said "To hell with it" and did both. As i said before, he totally failed to produce any kind of real connection with the characters or make any sense with the story, misfit characters are sporadically flung into the mixture and cheesy unoriginal dialogue runs ram-pit through the film, but this movie is not what it seems to be. It succeeds because of how HORRIBLY it fails. Toss in easily the funniest fight scene ever captured on film and best usage of Coolio's "Gangsters Paradise" in cinema and you've got comedic GOLD. Please go into this movie with absolutely NO expectations and i promise that you will leave satisfied.
111 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my God it has imagination, humor and originality. It stinks!
hijosderoddaria27 February 2011
If you think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was an OK movie, then The Green Hornet is not for you. If on the other hand, you enjoyed the hell out of stuff like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, then you may spend two great hours with this fresh and irreverent take on an old "super-hero".

The Green Hornet answers the question: What if you gave an incredibly talented 10 years old kid a couple of million dollars to make an action-adventure movie? That's what Michel Gondry is. The film is full with all his beautiful creativity, simple but marvelous ideas that make you smile, like a LP record player in the backside of ejectable sits, to enjoy some classic tunes while you surf the sky.

If thinking outside the box scares you, if the thought of taking guys in spandex and crime-fighting with masks not so seriously makes you cringe, then stay away from this. Otherwise, prepare yourself for some fun.
42 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Express
kingcoyame19 January 2011
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! I Just saw The Green Hornet in 3D......Damn did I felt silly sitting in the theater watching what I vote as the worst movie of the year! The Green Hornet starts off promising in a scene with James Franco and the great Christoph Waltz from Inglorious Basterds 2009 (the last film he was in, And boy what a bad choice!) But The Green Hornet goes downhill real fast after that. Seth Rogan who I like and is a crack up in most movies he is in, single handed kills this movie! I like Superheros to be a bit humorous, but not incredibly annoying! It seems the director of this turkey had no control over Rogan (Playing Britt Reid alias The Green Hornet) goes crazy yelling in scene after scene, obviously improvising most of his lines. This might have worked for Pineapple Express but totally ruins this movie. I was rooting for Kato to kick the Rogan characters ass at any moment or hoping one of the bad guys would shoot him. I think Seth Rogan would have been a better choice as the villain in this movie and Waltz as The Green Hornet or a George Clooney, friggin Brad Pitt or someone like that. The rest of the cast sucks too, An aging Cameron Diaz has nothing to do in this flick, Edward James Olmos looked like he was about to climb out of the screen and hitch a ride home, the Chinese guy who plays Kato mumbles his lines throughout the movie. Shame on these Hollywood bozos! The Writers, Director, and Seth Rogan for destroying a cool comic book and the original sixties TV series that starred Van Williams and the great Bruce Lee. And if Bruce Lee were alive today I think he would have gave Seth Rogan and his Follywood buddies a good ol' Karate kick to the balls! P.S. the 3D sucked too
158 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
childish and stupid
jseltz3881213 March 2011
They could have done so much more with this movie. Instead they put out this junk. The movie is very childish and stupid. Someone other than Seth Rogen would have been a better choice. Jay Chou was good, but he had to work against Seth. We thought this would be a fun movie. Instead, it was a wasted evening. Cameron Diaz was OK, but I think that she may regret that she agreed to be in this farce. The cars were great, but they could have shown more of the technical stuff and less of the interactions between Rogen and Chou. Also, the interactions between Rogen and Diaz was down right terrible. Even the old television show as a lot better.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, Surprisingly Good, yes, yes, yes, not awful!
Scott_Mercer30 January 2011
The people who gave this movie a 1 are morons. The first two reviews here on the IMDb that I read savaging this film said that the "movie didn't even have a DC Comics logo at the beginning." Gee, Einstein, could that be because The Green Hornet is NOT a DC Comics character? It was first devised for a radio show that started before DC Comics even existed. If there was a DC Comics version of The Green Hornet, it was clearly licensed from whoever owned rights to the concept. The second review I read said that the only thing good in the movie was "Kato, played by John Cho." YOU IDIOT! Kato was played by Jay Chou, not John Cho! (John Cho is Harold in Harold and Kumar, Professor Hawking.)

If you people reading this are undecided about this filmand you choose to align yourself with people who just fling stupidity like that around, be my guest. But you'll be on the outs with right-thinking people who were able to accept this film as a fun time.

Now, I will grant that Seth Rogen can get a little overbearing at times, much like Vince Vaughn. But he rolls that tendency nicely into his character, since he was one of the screenwriters. You buy him totally as a selfish, lovably annoying (okay, for some people, not so lovably) cad who needs to grow up.

By the end of the film, his character has gone through a lot, learned a lot, and grown up quite a bit. Your main character can't improve if he starts off perfect! You people know nothing about screen writing.

The direction by Michel Gondry is impeccable. About the only complaint I might have is the rapid-fire action can be confusing and overwhelming at times. But I feel this is a fault of all action movies of current vintage, and not to be laid at the feet of Michel Gondry. I don't think anyone can or would find a complaint with the special effects, which are amazing. The 3-D was well utilized and thrilling, and not too obtrusive. It is this type of slick Hollywood action spectacle (not an insult in my book...necessarily) that Imax 3-D does so well.

Even my friend, a self-avowed Seth Rogen hater, said she found this movie to be entertaining, thrilling, and well worth the admission price. She even thought that Seth Rogen was good in this film, both as an actor and a writer.

This film certainly did not have the serious tone of Batman Begins, nor was it as wacked out as something like Mystery Men. But I thought it did strike a nice balance between non-stop thrills and well-constructed laughs. Probably the best superhero flick since Iron Man.
61 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
penname9028 May 2011
Okay, I'm going to get right to the point,this movie was hilarious, entertaining full of some fantastic action. Seth Rogen and Jay Chou...amazing.

One of the main complaints I hear is that some people couldn't understand Jay Chou, and I had no problem what-so-ever understanding him, unless he was speaking in Mandarin, which he randomly does, but I was okay with that because within the context of the film it was understandable.

Essentially, anyone that says this movie is not one of the most hilariously entertaining movies ever made is overly critical and bitter about life. Well, apparently fun isn't for everyone.

Anyway, I watched this movie in theaters, rented it, and will probably buy it, because it's friggin' GOLD.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Let's roll, Kato! "
jan_kalina29 January 2011
What or who is the The Green Hornet? A masked vigilante, who fights crime at night alongside his trustful sidekick Kato. This superhero comes from a radio show and a comic book series. He is a something of a grandfather to Batman. Sounds like serious movie, right? Well, it isn't. It's an action comedy starring Seth Rogen. Some may not like this comedian but I have thoroughly enjoyed Pineapple express. I enjoy his style, he seems realistic and I love how excited he gets in movies(especially this one)when he is about to do something crazy because that's how I would be like. Jay Chou shows that maybe he has some comedic timing, that he is very good at martial arts and looks good in slow-motion. He also shows that as an actor he is very wooden. He's got the same expression on his face the whole movie but he isn't that bad actor to downgrade the movie, I actually think he was like that on purpose. Christoph Waltz is the best thing in this movie. Every scene with him is hilarious. He plays the main villain, a gangster, who is being told from various people that he is not scary anymore so he tries to establish himself as a scary mob boss again. Christoph Waltz excellently plays the very goofy villain, I think that it's not the lines, it's the guy what's funny, he makes it funny. If it would be different actor I think the scenes wouldn't be as funny. The always funny and always beautiful Cameron Diaz doesn't really get much screen time here, which is a huge pity. She plays Lenore Case, Britt Reid's new secretary who is unknowingly the mastermind behind the crime fighting duo. There are great cameos by Edward Furlong and a recent Seth Rogen co-star James Franco. Franco's cameo is just brilliant.

The action scenes are great fun to watch, it's nice how they mixed the comedy into them, but they aren't that original but what the hell I will always pay to see cars blowing up and crashing into each other.

I have not seen this in 3-D and I think it wouldn't bring anything new, maybe some action scenes would look cool but that would be it, nothing more. Although it would be worth the money seeing Cameron Diaz in 3-D.

Overall this is very enjoyable fun action movie with some great one-liners from Rogen. Go and watch it, the year 2011 couldn't have started any better than with this movie.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why? Someone tell me WHY???
NYCBound00115 January 2011
Whoever allowed Seth Rogen to make this joke of a movie should be fired, then shot, then fired again. This film, filled with crass "humor", foul language, horrific acting and character assassination is a serious blight on "The Green Hornet" franchise, one of DC's best character properties. Why was Seth Rogen, one of the world's most pointless & idiotic human beings, able to make a mockery of a project that should be filled with class, intelligence and integrity? Not even the usually remarkable actor Tom Wilkinson can save this drivel.

Any fan of "The Green Hornet", please note: you will not like this film. In fact, I venture to say you will likely HATE this film. It is nothing like The Green Hornet. It is nothing like the comic book you've come to love and nothing like the TV show you remember with fondness. I'd be willing to bet that Van Williams (the original actor who played Britt Reid) is disgusted by what this film has done to the reputation of the character he so lovingly portrayed. And Bruce Lee (rest his soul) would no doubt be appalled by what Rogan did to Kato (Britt & Kato FIGHTING? WTF?). I hate to say this (in fact I rarely, if ever, do): The critics are right about this one. The only good part of this movie is when you see the end credits rolling. If I could give it negative stars I would.

Film fans, please, I implore you, don't give this film your money. Save your hard earned green backs for "Thor", "Green Lantern" and "Captain America", all coming out this year.
74 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was expecting a disaster
darkmax19 January 2011
Frankly, very few remakes are worth the time. I was expecting a disaster of a movie when I started watching, but was pleasantly surprised.

Seth Rogen is his usual self/character. He needs to learn more than one trick. I found his acting flat and his voice monotonous. So kudos to the screen and script writers for making it interesting enough that Mr Rogen's shortcomings are overcame.

Cameron Diaz.... Of the hundreds of actresses in the movie industry, why her? Is her character written in, in the last minute? Or is there some kind of compulsory need to add a female lead, so that the 2 male leads are not seen as homosexuals? She was refreshing a decade ago, now she is just.... boring and highly predictable.

Jay Chou. Being an Asian-Asian, I personally never like or dislike him. He has a zero-expression face, no matter what movie he is in. Putting him in the shoes of Bruce Lee is a tough order. Of all the characters in the movie, his is the most significant one. Ones with big expectations to fill, and I think he did alright. Do remember this is his first Hollywood movie. Other than that, I still say he can't really act.

Story/plot. The movie is fast pace enough that even the slow moments get by really fast. After a first 15 minutes or so, there is very little dull moments. One of the few things I disliked about this movie is the elevated level of gory deaths. Is it really necessary? As I said before the screen and script writers did a fantastic job in this adaptation.

For pure action entertainment, I'll give it 8 or 9 out of 10. However, overall it should only garner a 7, in my opinion.
28 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun movie...simple as that.
reijeanmiles1509 February 2011
I went to see this in the middle of the day on a weekday, and ended up being the only person there, which makes little difference in light of the fact that I enjoyed it.

A lot of reviews I've seen that are in the negative about the movie all seem to be coming from people who act like every single movie that comes out is supposed to have some deeper life altering meaning beneath it. For those people, I'm sorry to tell you, but this is simply the sit back and have fun watching popcorn movie.

It was campy, sometimes corny, but absolutely fun. It didn't take itself so seriously that felt weighed down at any point, considering it clocks in at around roughly two hours, it seemed pretty well paced to me. The story does play with the viewers consciousnes of the Hornet/Kato relationship in how it was originally portrayed in the TV show, with who the viewers saw as the star of that show, in the way that Chou's amazingly adept Kato and Rogen's somewhat Bumbling clueless Hornet interact on the regular.

Movies are supposed to be a fun break from reality, and suffice to say with the action, comedy, and camp homage made throughout this film. This is a really good break to take if you feel like one.

I saw it in 2d, which was how it was originally filmed and it was visually engaging the whole time. So either way I think you're in for a treat.
27 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Bad Way To Start 2011
aaronjbong4 February 2011
It's still four to five months before "Thor" starts playing and of course, movies that go on theaters before May are not usually super anticipated. However, January's "The Green Hornet", with Seth Rogen and international pop star Jay Chou is is one good, action movie. Action? Yes. Comedy? Yes. Worth to watch? Hell yeah!

First, "The Green Hornet" is about this one guy named Britt Reid (Rogen) who is the son of the boss of a large company that runs newspapers. One day, while Britt is still having fun with his girls, his dad's name James Reid rolls on TV with the years "1948 - 2010". He's dead in the age of 62. Britt becomes the leader and meets Kato (Chou), his father's assistant who's talented in martial arts, making coffee but not in swimming. Together, they fight crime in several unexpected and silly ways against Chudnofsky aka Bloodnofsky (Waltz).

The trailer, with Jay Chou speaking English, cool cars, Britt knocking himself out and others is quite interesting. Especially when it's in 3D. The pictures themselves look exciting and with idiotic Britt Reid, it seems like it's not a bad movie.

The action. Yes, you will definitely enjoy this movie. Britt's fighting will give laughs that will make you howl like wolves and Kato's martial arts skills will leave audiences breathless. It's definitely going to make this movie likable and I'm sure you'll love the action scenes with the explosions. Oh yes, and blood.

The comedy. I know it seldom appears but when it appears, it's going to make you laugh your head off. Such as Chudnofsky being said not scary and later scaring whoever said it. Or because Britt knocked himself out with his Gas Gun.

The 3D. This was weak. There were no eye-popping effects, just depths because as I sometimes take off my glasses to compare the movie in 2D and 3D. 3D works perfectly fine without the glasses, not blurry at all, very inconspicuous. So, I recommend 2D better.

Overall, "The Green Hornet" is not a bad movie. It's not a waste of time and it's possibly a good way to start out the 2011 movie season.

Thank you for reading and hope this review is useful.
29 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad script, Bad Comedy, Bad Movie
JDouglasJ_125 January 2011
I watched Green Hornet on Television when I was a kid. I loved it and looked forward to every show. I saw the new movie today. What a let down. The comedy was pathetic, the writing was miserable and the acting was lethargic. I could tell it was big budget by the stunts, bombs and cars that were used. However, the lead actor detracts from the plot with his spoiled rich kid part. He ends up being inept at everything he does and it makes you wonder if he is really related to his father. It was comedy, bad comedy and horrific comedy all wrapped up in one movie. Goofball acting and script writing. I almost walked out half way through. Don't waste your money at the theaters. Wait for it on TV and DVD. Hollywood is to blame for this mess up. No wonder patrons are turned off to the movies coming out these days.
27 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an god awful movie
michael-neichl-904-63288814 January 2011
The green hornet is one of the most awful movies i've ever seen in my life and i watched the legend of aang! It just does everything wrong a movie can do wrong! the characters are forgettable and completely unlikeable, the story makes no sense, the motivation for the main characters makes no sense and there are a thousand scenes that make no sense. How could anyone like the character of the green hornet he's a useless idiot, he cant do anything, he is totally unlikeable and doesn't develop the story in any way. The awful camera-shots, the bad acting, the stupid stupid stupid nonsense able scenes just everything is god awful. i just hope that christoph waltz still gets a good role after this movie he's awful in this movie but at least he has inglourious basterds.
21 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible waste of money, especially in 3D
rondadams16 February 2011
I gave this movie a rating of 1. If I could go lower, I would. We saw it in 3D because we thought that since it was an action movie it would enhance the experience. We were wrong! The acting, the dialog, the language, the story, were all absolute crap! I expected it to be silly, even somewhat slap stick and stupid, but it was worse than that. I feel stupid for not walking out and asking for a refund on this movie. I've seen some pretty bad movies, but this is one of the first in quite a while that I really wished I had walked out on. I kept expecting, hoping that maybe it would get better, but it never did. Save your money, wait for the dollar rental, which in my opinion is still more than it's worth to see this movie. I'm a male in my 40s, and like a good action flick with car chases and comedy, but believe it or not, I actually enjoyed the Justin Bieber documentary/movie more than I did this, and I'm not even a Justin Bieber fan. That's how bad I thought this was.
33 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny action, but not going to blow you away
justind-thompson16 January 2011
What I expected from a Seth Rogen film. I enjoyed the goofy humor mixed in with very cool weapons, and kick butt martial arts action. I would have to say this movie targets guys and people under the age of 30 or so. You have to take the movie for what it is worth, if you are a serious person looking for A+ acting with a top-notch storyline then you should skip this movie. However, if you still have a kid inside you that enjoys laughing, not taking things to seriously, and comic's/super hero action then you will enjoy this film. The villain Christoph Waltz who also starred in Inglourious Basterds also helped make the film worth seeing in my opinion, and he had one of the sweetest gun's I've seen in a movie. Other big actors in the film include Cameron Diaz & Tom Wilkinson.

Even though I liked this movie, I think most people would not feel liked they missed out on anything too special if they waited for DVD. It's a fun movie, with good special effects, fight scenes, and a laid back attitude, but nothing that will blow you away.

Read other reviews at: http://thompsonreview.wordpress.com/
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
abe-f14 January 2011
It's bad when you haven't seen it yet and the star is complaining about the fans.

It's bad when the screenwriter is the star and gives himself more dialogue then necessary.

And a movie that is based on a comic sucks when it is boring.

And this movie was a BORE.

Rogen failed to deliver on an action movie, as the fight scenes were lame. Cameron Diaz looks like she is on too much prozac, and the sidekick is as exciting as a limp Robin. I can't express the disappointment in this film. Rogen is on his way down, with Funny People losing money and this hyped film a let-down to sooo many.
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uninspired
CSHaviland15 January 2011
The Green Hornet is a very old hero character, dating back to radio dramas in the 30's, playing alongside The Shadow, Buck Rogers, and The Lone Ranger. (In fact, the Green Hornet was a spin off of The Lone Ranger... The Lone Ranger was the Green Hornet's grand-uncle, in the radio world.) Like his contemporaries he appeared in other media, including television. The television series, which featured 1/2 hour segments, starred Bruce Lee as Kato, and was his boost into celebrity. The great Bruce Lee martial arts movies might never have happened if it weren't for his gig on the Green Hornet.

The Green Hornet may have also been Bob Kane's inspiration for Batman in 1939. There are many similarities, which need not be listed here.

But alas, this feature film remake is a dull take on this old character, which deserved better treatment. I don't know exactly how Seth Rogen (who played Britt Reid and who has a writing credit) got a hold of it, but it's as though someone behind the scenes mistook the Green Hornet for a farce comedy like Get Smart and then failed to even make it funny.

The dialog had no horsepower at all, and while there were a few funny moments, after a while I got aggravated at the desperate attempts to make me laugh. Sometimes it seemed like the actors were derailed, trying to improvise, and it wasn't working.

There were two cool things about the TV series. 1) Kato, because he kicks butt. They got lucky, because Bruce Lee really was one-of-a-kind. 2) Black Beauty, their armed car that flips up from the garage floor and has guns built into it. While both of these aspects remained pretty cool in this movie, they were also elevated a little too far into the realm of fantasy. And it didn't need to be that way.

Not a good offering by director Michel Gondry, who gave us the brilliant and original Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind years ago, and it may mean that he's one of those directors who cannot improve -- or does not see improvements in -- a script. He therefore shines when he gets a great script and fails when he gets a bad one. Tim Burton falls into that category.

The movie villain was played by Christoph Waltz, whose character was no less dumb than Seth Rogen's. A bad choice for an actor who just won an Oscar for his brilliant role as Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds. What was his agent thinking? In all fairness, Waltz and his agent couldn't have known beforehand that The Green Hornet was going to be a sloppy script, and a sloppy execution. The super-hero wave is a big one at the movies these days, with one hit after the other, but they fail to remember other sloppy remakes of old radio heroes, such as The Shadow in 1994 starring Alec Baldwin, and The Legend of the Lone Ranger in in 1981 starring Klinton Spilsbury (who??).

The Green Hornet should have been a much more serious period movie set in the 30's about a man who is inspired to fight the mob in the fashion that his grand-uncle did as the Lone Ranger years earlier. That would have led to a serious Lone Ranger tie-in (a prequel as it were). Missed opportunities.

Save your $8, this movie isn't worth it.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie I've seen in 2010 if it still was 2010
kasmo-949-11963313 January 2011
Wow,

this was the worst experience i had in a movie theatre since Cable Guy. Why should i watch this ? Seth Rogen is bad, the other actors seem bad, the story is .... which story ? Everything seemed so pointless. Im not an enemy of cheap/easy to watch movies but this was no fun at all. Its just a cheap product manufactured by the Hollywood Machine hoping people with no taste at all will make the mistake to pay 10$ for this.

Please do not watch this movie, you'll regret it. I kinda suspect the guys with the reviews before me to be paid writers, no one can like this movie much.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.