Gintama (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

One of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever
wakemeup3619 December 2009
Every anime has it's funny, even hilarious moments. But not many are built around these moments. Gintama, for the most part definitely is.

This anime is completely insane. It's full of random hilarity and antics, while still maintaining a storyline (per episode and arcs). You don't even have to worry about fillers, because you won't know when they hit you, as there is no general plot. Plus, the fillers are just as funny and awesome as the other episodes, if not more. There are tons of references to anime and Japanese culture, which is kind of a down side for a person who isn't familiar with either or both. This reason also makes this anime almost impossible to dub and very hard to even sub! However, if you do get the jokes (and not all of them are reference related), you'll be in tears. It's not all just laughter though. There are definitely some heart touching, throat lump forming, beautiful moments in the anime too (though not as much).

All I can say is, if you're an anime fan and haven't watched it, you're doing yourself a big crime by missing this one. As the title says, I not only class this as one of the greatest anime, or even one of the greatest TV shows, but one of the most brilliant pieces of entertainment mankind has ever created.
100 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wayyy Better than Most Comedies and Action Flicks
arctikice8 February 2016
I've been watching TV shows, anime and movies for a very long time and i have watched shows like Seinfeld, How i Met your Mother, Friends, Curb your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, Two and a half men, and many more. However, after watching Gintama, i have to say that this show is better than any other comedy show i have ever seen. The jokes are done so brilliantly that it legitimately makes you laugh out loud. Furthermore, every single character has been given a persona which suits their personality so incredibly well. The best part of the show is that each character is treated as they are the main character. If one of them doesn't show up for some time, you'll start to miss them.

This is just the comedy part though, when the show gets serious - boy it gets serious. It's like you're transported into a completely different anime. The action scenes are so fluent and so perfectly crafted that you will be at the edge of your seat the entire time. These action arcs last for about 2 to 5 episodes - they have a beginning, a mid-point, and an end. They aren't dragged like most anime. Each serious or action arc of the show highlights the characters and provide hindsight in their lives, allowing viewers to know them better.

This emotional connection with the characters is what's missing in most action movies, TV shows and anime but in Gintama, it's remarkably well done. Also, there's a balance between comedy and action, so you won't be stuck in one genre the entire time.

I had my reservations about watching Gintama, especially after watching the first few episodes. However, when I got through them, the show started to get a whole lot funnier and better. It seems that writer wasn't too confident in his work in the beginning but when he started to see how well his work can be, he started to take risks and came up with some of the best comedy and action arcs that I've ever seen.

Having watched a ton of TV shows, movies, and anime - I have to say that Gintama is (and probably will be) the best piece of entertainment I've watched in my whole life.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THis anime is a QUADRILLION times better than Cowboy bebop
Erdallianz22 September 2012
This anime is the funniest show ever created - not even the simpsons, south park and Family guy combined would have 1/3 of the funniness of this series.

It doesn't have an overall plot - but as a comedy series it doesn't need one - and there are a lot of longer stories which serve to give you spledid action and emotion.

But what makes this series really epic is the fact that it manages to stay funny for every minute of every of the over 250 episodes! At some episodes you simply cant stop to laugh - not for one single second - And this despite the fact that many of the references are aimed for a Japanese audience.

But even without getting all the Japan- related jokes one still has to watch out not to die from laughter! I would give this show a 11 or 12 or 15 out of 10 if I could!
60 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lmfao
blackmamba999717 July 2014
When it comes to comedy this show delivers just about the nastiest, funniest, and down right gritty series to date. Gintama, quite possibly the dumbest individual on the planet. But in all fairness his sight for the obvious can often leave you in stitches with endless laughter. The series takes place in old Edo where in iron town the populace is protected by just about anyone that has grown up there.

However, with Gintama, and his oddball group doing odd jobs around the neighbourhood it's no wonder that nobody asks them for help. He is a samurai, one that delves in the old school way of wielding a sword although the alien groups that landed on earth forbids it at any cost. Now and then his posse must fight off the outcast aliens with every resource in their arsenal. That is with slapstick jibes, jokes, insults, and rather skanky girls dressed kimonos.

Pair this up with an objective within his group they create scenarios for themselves, which often gets mixed up with other scenarios that leads to other scenarios, and so on... etc etc. Yet through all of their mishaps, and tongue tripping ideas they always manage to come out smelling like a rose.

I found this series to be a kind meant for the low brow, low education, and nearly poor crowd. But it fits for the times of yesteryear struggles in Japan. Everyday conflicts with endless hierarchy misfits in the background watching their every move ready to strike back at the common folk who built the cities for the Shogun families. One needs to have a sense of humour to live or to die on their knees facing defeat.

Gintama has it all... humour, laughs galore, great music... crude, and often gross conduct in certain montages of story telling. It also shapes the human condition with stories of sadness, and some tragedies, which befit some of the more colourful characters. Especially with Gintama, and his partners Shinpachi, and Kagura. Without them his way of life would be boring.

I have to give this series ten stars for all of the ingredients put into it. If you have a day off, try and watch this funny, and fast paced show. You will not regret it. Highly recommended to those aged 14, and above. Not for minors.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funniest show I've ever seen, super enjoyable!
black-3214713 August 2017
I absolutely 100% recommend everyone to watch it from the very start and please ignore the image quality, before you know it you will love the show so much it won't matter and then the quality gets much better in 2015 and 2017 releases. An anime that suits almost everyone..great comedy, tons of parodies, very likable characters, great action and fights, very heart warming at times...just about everything you could think of!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I don't need to understand... Chocolate Parfaits?!"
aensen-1602517 March 2016
So here goes, this is my first movie/anime review ever, but I shall try and be as unbiased as possible (which will be hard).

"Gintama" revolves around a man named Gintoki, a samurai. In always dire need of money, together with his associates Shinpachi and Kagura, they do all kinds of tasks: menial or noble.

The story is set in a futuristic Japan, called Edo. Controlled by powerful alien Amanto; leaving only a small vestige of power to the human shogun, trying his best to scramble the pieces of a war-torn country. There are several factions involved, inspired and drawing many references from feudal Japan. We meet Gintoki as an owner of a not so prosperous establishment, which deals in so-called "odd Jobs".

Driven by a rather ambiguous moral compass, Gintoki tends to find himself in rather wacky situations. The show is hilarious to say the least, though on the other end of the specter, tear-invoking and/or bloody serious. There is a loose red thread, mainly focusing on Gintoki's past as a samurai, but the general theme of the show is episodic comedy.

Gintama has a lot of pop- and cultural references, which might leave many non-Japanese clueless about what they are actually laughing about. Which brings me to the magic of this show: you don't have to get it, you simply don't. First things first though, pop-references aside, Gintama might deliver the very finest comedy on this planet. Slap-stick, smart jokes, dark jokes, one- liners, facial expressions, awkward silence, body language, embarrassing sexual tension, this show plays all the right strings. Though slightly inconsistent, enhanced by an good display of animation, Gintama brings comedy, action and drama on screen like no other anime.

The animation is usually done in a manner befitting the current state of the show. When there is no overlaying story-arc involved, the animation may even be down right non- existent. This is intended though, as a running gag through the series play on the "fact" that the producer of the show is actually a gorilla. Needless to say, the show do tend to break the fourth wall, leaving some rather hilarious interactions with it's audience. On the other hand, when the story moves from episodic silliness to the more story-driven arcs, you will notice a clear shift in the animation style. The combat scenes are especially delightful, full of gritty swordsmanship and martial arts. The movements are sharp and visual, though it might get a bit gory, as one might expect when dealing with samurai and aliens.

On a personal note, I've watched Gintama since the beginning, and I must say it has given me tremendous joy. I take a general assumption that many who watch anime usually read the manga first. As an avid manga reader I'm always rather skeptical about watching an anime before I read the manga. Thrilled to say, I'm glad I did the opposite in this case. The impact Gintama's wacky universe landed on me was immense, and I'm more than happy to say this one last thing: if you should ever watch and anime, watch Gintama, it's one of those very rare.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An anime could brought you all kinds of emotions
Midori Kurosaki14 May 2016
Gintama is probably my favorite anime ever. It contains almost all kinds of tags (well, maybe not all but it's a lot). One of the best comedies ever. The firstly episodes, the anime was somewhat boring but if you keep patient and continue to watch, it will eventually become much better. The jokes are super hilarious and could makes you have a stomachache from laughing too much. Though the jokes are somehow ... dirty (some of it talk about balls, penis, etc. but still awesome jokes). The anime was also unique and famous for the ability to 'break the fourth wall' - in some episodes, even the characters just sitting there and complaining about the staff was too lazy, or the anime was too boring. The anime is just too funny and too good for entertaining. But that's not all. Gintama is the kind of anime could brought you all kinds of emotions: Happy, sad, angry, ... This anime is funny but it do have serious and tearjerker scenes (this happened surprisingly often in a comedy anime). When it comes to serious, the action was great and the power was so wonderful than you ever expected in a comedy anime. And especially Gintama have lots of tearjerker moments and sad pasts. Gintoki, the main character is a 'lazy poop samurai' - everyone think like that. Nobody knows that he has a sad past (he has no family, his teacher dead because of him, became homeless, ...) So as Kagura, the main female character - her mom dead, her dad always go away without looked after her, her brother joined Harusame, her whole family was corrupted...). The lately arcs in the anime (and chapters in manga) show that the anime is not always funny as everyone thinking. Highly recommended. It surely suitable for comedy - fans and sometimes tragedy - fans too.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Most underrated anime
ronin14125 January 2017
I'm not anime veteran (I've seen only few dozens titles), I'm not Japanese, I haven't read manga, but I'm still able to enjoy Gintama anime. And enjoy it a lot. Perfect drama / comedy ratio for satirical show keeps me watching one episode after another. Arcs are mostly short, condensed and even recaps for them are really refreshing. I know it is almost impossible to sub/dub this thing (without or even with comments) but people make a great things great and even I could understand most of the puns / jokes. And there is a lot, even in one sentence. That's Gintama for you :D. And now for really technical review: - Story: None - or almost none. There's some background, but it's irrelevant in most cases. It's slowly revealed in some arcs. What could you expect from satire / comedy? - Characters: Awesome - as one of the episodes claims - there isn't one main character - and it's actually true. Fact: Gin-san is most recognizable but most of the episodes doesn't revolve around him. There are a lot of multi-dimensional characters, which makes this anime working. - Visualization: You cannot predict what would be presented to you in the next episode. It could be standard slow paced animation (even some stills), CGI/3D saturated picture or even live action. - Music - It is well paced, suitable. Some pieces are borrowed / covered, but still epic (i.e. Madao send from DMC4). Overall: I could recommend this for all anime fans. It could be hard to watch for inexperienced watchers, which could not understand some of the references / digs (like me), but I am sure they'll have a lot of fun watching this. PS. This is my first review after ~2k watched movies/series and about the same or even more review - so be gentle, please. PS2. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any mishaps. PS3: I''m really disappointed by so few reviews on Gintama. PS4. Watch Gintama: it's awesome
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome anime!!
tbogttlad13 January 2017
I've not mentioned any spoilers, though just in case I tell one.... So anyway, Gintama is a fantastic anime to watch, it's overall very nice and interesting. There's no main character, but each and every character combined makes a single main character. Not only that, but there's a a huge variety of jokes - Situational jokes (the funniest ones), Sexual adult jokes, poop jokes, fart jokes, vomit jokes, word plays, parodies of other animes and what not, the list keeps on going. Not only that, there's also a lot of badass serious arcs with badass fights, emotional moments, painful deaths and epic conclusions to these arcs.

All these things makes it a perfect Action-Comedy anime.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this