Fantasy Island (2020) Poster

Look, it's a B horror movie with hot people . . .
jaskell17 February 2020
What the hell do people expect? Watch it with popcorn, booze, and a few buddies.
81 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as some people may think
alexxanderrdarth28 February 2020
Yes, of course, this genre of movie, with this kind of story will never win the Golden Globe or the Oscar, but it is the kind of movie you would watch after a hard day of work with your partner or your buddies to relax a little bit.

I have to admit that this movie exceeded my expectations, because I was expecting a careless and predictable story with cheap jumpscares. Even though the movie had very very few jumpscares that were not really that creepy, the story was pretty well made and I did not predict the multiple twists it presented.

One of the most interesting things about the movie is the way how the stories of the main characters intertwine with each other in a way that could actually be believable, with a person that somehow connects all the protagonists.

So, if you are not the kind of person that wants to have a good time with his friends, just to relax and also enjoy a movie, you should give it a go. I was not disappointed and I feel like you will not be either.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed the film.
lkbradshaw923 February 2020
Fun suspenseful surprisingly entertaining. Good special effects for a low budget film. Good storyline a surprise around every corner.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
C'mon people, this is a good, fun little flick
rcnaylor16 February 2020
Oscar worthy? No. But, if you're in the mood for a nice, fun comedy, action, thriller... it is A-OK. Has a couple of twists. Keeps you wondering where its going. If the plot gets a little sketchy here and there, have some more popcorn and give it a bit!

I enjoyed it more than many higher rated, more pumped movies I've seen lately! Grab ya a bucket, a nice beverage and have a little fun with this one!
53 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the bad reviews
brainsmasher-6618 February 2020
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It's not worthy of an Oscar; but I was entertained. Technically I guess you could call this a horror movie; but it wasn't scary. I don't like being scared.
36 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad reviews from those who wanted the original Tatoo
Aggiemba9517 February 2020
If you go to this expecting to see the original you will be disappointed. If you go expecting a Blum House Film you will love it. The plot twist is perfectly done. The villain is kept secret. Yes, it is formulaic but they aren't chasing oscars here. They are creating a BLUM HOUSE film, and they did a good job. The film is fun to watch and entertaining.
53 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good experience.
XDannyGuffeyX18 February 2020
An entertaining plot, a nice acting cast, and I liked the fresh take on a classic franchise.

Too many people on here are just crybabies behind computer screens. Get a life.
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No. No. No. No. No!
kban49515 February 2020
Bad movie! Bad, bad...bad movie! Go to your room! Forever!

I don't know where to start. The convoluted attempt at anything close to a plot? The juvenile writing? The bad acting all around? The movie should not have been called Fantasy Island. It should have been called Clue. Cause no one involved had one.

However, I do credit it for a first in the life. As in the first time we in the audience had a conversation, with show of hands, just how bad an experience this was. It was like Lifetime and the CW had a baby. A horribly, disfigured baby.

Please spare yourself. Don't watch it. It's too late for me. But if I spared just one of you, maybe my sacrifice is worth it.
156 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than I expected
geislekm22 February 2020
I almost didn't go see this movie after reading the reviews, but I had two hours to kill, so I did. All the people who gave terrible reviews are crazy. People were claiming they couldn't follow the plot, but I didn't have any problem at all. In fact, I rather enjoyed myself. Now this movie will not win any Oscars, but neither will it be listed among the worst of all time either. Watch the movie with the notion that you will not see a cinematic masterpiece, but instead will be able to spend two hours where magical islands exist. The TV show Lost had a similar plot, and it was one of the most successful shows of all time. Watch this movie with the same mindset.
37 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice Friday night movie
brainsmasher-6618 February 2020
The reviews I have been reading and seeing on YouTube are so bad that I had to go see for myself. I would rank this movie up there with Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. I got what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair movie. Go on cinema.
gamekapocsviktor17 February 2020
Why was that bad? I think it is a very fair movie, it was not predictable, there were surprises in store, its atmosphere is really cool. i loved it
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really enjoyed it!
rhondareed-3807124 February 2020
I really don't get why this movie got such bad reviews! I really enjoyed it! It has great production values. It kept me on the edge of my seat. The scenery and people are beautiful.The acting was not bad! It hit me on emotional levels. It had humour, suspense, action...it was creepy...what the hell were they hoping for that they didn't get??? an Oscar contender? It is a Blumhouse movie! It is good!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure why the bad reviews?
daleer14 February 2020
People seem to rate these types of movies badly and I am not sure why. I think this was very unique, not many movies are made about islands that manifest your fantasies in a dark, twisted way. Despite anything it should get points for creativity. Secondly, it was thrilling, and kept you thinking about who was behind jt all, and managed to surprise me completely. Obviously with a group of 5-6 main characters it is hard to flesh out all of their development but even that did a good job and managed to get a few emotional moments. In conclusion, campy, gimmicky horror is a style of its own and doesn't deserve to be rated badly.
53 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anybody Recall The Very First Fantasy Island movie?
richardfuller-9297314 February 2020
There were actually two movies before the tv series, but the first one was basically very similar to this one. A famed hunter wanted to be hunted, a woman wanted to attend her own funeral and a WWII vet wanted to relive his lost romance. In some way, the fantasy worked, in another way, things didn't, or, as happened in the movie, the fantasy ended. I really didn't enjoy the tv show giving way to Love Boat on land as it did, with each person finding romance in the end as well. I think only one time on the show did the fantasies crossover. Granted, there seemed to be some bits that were a tad clunky, but in the end they all came together, . . . . somewhat connecting. Hardly the worst movie, as all the other posts seem to think, and they did seem to be along the lines of what the people on the show always wanted. Won't give away what happened to anybody, but it was together as a movie. Do I think a sequel would be possible? Possibly.
38 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of twists, and great fun
sophaljonesy15 February 2020
Fantasy Island is nothing like the TV series. It is a fantasy horror thriller with lots of twists and turns. I like how the story went. Judging from the trailers, it looked like Saw on an island, but it is definitely not that. I liked Michael Pena as Mr Roarke. He was quite a character. Though he does not possess the gentlemanly charm as Ricardo Montalban from the TV series, he is an interesting character. The other cast did a good job too. I also like the nods to the original series and hope to see the sequel.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was shocked to find myself LOVING this!!!
mickdansforth17 February 2020
It was not expecting to like it, but I really loved Fantasy Island. There was a twist I wasn't ready for, but I feel they really stuck the landing and I had a great time watching this movie. This movie is more horror than not, but not by much, and surprisingly true to the original show while still doing something new.

This movie cost $7M to make, and if not profitable already should be by the end of next weekend. So there's a decent chance they make a $10M sequel. And as every review is people pissed this wasn't more extreme, I will have to check spoiler reviews before watching Fantasy Island 2-7.

The post credits moment actually happens at the end of the movie before the credits so there's no post credits scene.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got me thinking but rushed ending
mariam170120 February 2020
The ending irritated me because I feel like it undermined what could have been a great thought provoking Movie. Now to what I loved about the movie: The movie explores the human side of regret, resentment and how we become entrapped in the past, so much so that we lose our present.

we are prisoners of the past, resentful of all the wrong done to us. We are captives of our own imagination when we dream about different outcomes of past events. We are slaves to our minds when it starts asking What if.....?

every choice we make in life , is a crossroad and every-time you make a different choice a storyline is revealed and another alternative remains unexplored. The alternative becomes an untold story that disappears into thin air. When we think of regret ... when we look back and say I wish I made a different choice , we are transfixed on that one immediate effect that we want to change; But we rarely think of what comes after, the butterfly effect of that choice. How this one diverge in the road will change the whole story because It will change all of the next chapters of your life. you wont be the same person you are today, you wont be in the same place you are right now. It Could be better or could be far worst.

Now the question : given the chance, would you rather accept your reality or go back , change that one choice and risk it all?

Now if you risk it all and get to see the other outcomes to your story , do you imagine you would say: hell yeah I am so glad I rewrote this whole book! I have finally let go of all regret Or I hate this, this is terrible I 100% prefer my original reality. I am sorry. I accept my original fate. I want to go back ?
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspensefull!
deelremick16 February 2020
Loved this! It was very good. Suspenseful, not gory. The characters were great. I loved the story. The location was beautiful. I thought this was going to be more of a slasher fim, but it is not. I was surprised I liked it so much! If you like thrillers, Fantasy Island is for you. Highly recommend!
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the negative reviews.
matferrell23 February 2020
This movie had everything you need in a thriller. I am normally one to listen what critics are saying. This movie was so much better than I expected it to be. It keeps you pulled in entire time, pretty fast paced and it wraps everything up perfectly. Lucy hale was phenomenal in this, spot on for the part. As well as the the brothers. They did Ana amazing job on this movie would definitely recommend!
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky action, adventure and fantasy elements but disappointing in the horror department
kluseba27 February 2020
Fantasy Island is a movie based upon a popular television show of the same title of the seventies about a magical island resort. The movie tells the story of five young adults who have won a contest to come to a magical island resort to make their wildest dreams come true. Two quirky half brothers dream of throwing a big party and having sexual intercourse with hot girls and guys, respectively. A lonesome woman regrets not accepting when her former boyfriend proposed to her five years ago and wants to change the past. A young man dreams of becoming a soldier and wishes he could save his father who was killed in action in Venezuela. A young woman wants to take revenge on a school bully who had terrorized her for years. All their dreams become true but soon take a sinister twist they didn't anticipate. The five protagonists soon realize that they have something in common. They must find out what that is in order to leave the island alive.

This movie convinces in numerous departments. The story has multiple twists and turns that will make your head spin. The individual fantasies of the four groups of protagonists are diversified and entertaining. The locations are absolutely stunning and deserve the title Fantasy Island for sure. The movie mixes intense action sequences, gloomy fantasy elements and mild horror moments in a balanced way. The film has steady pace and entertains from start to finish. The film includes some interesting side characters such as the mysterious host of the island and a man who lives and hides on the island and seems to have his own agenda.

On the other side, some of the characters are rather shallow, especially the two half brothers who seem to be rather dim-witted and only think about booze and sex. The film's horror elements aren't really spooky and the movie overall rather qualifies as quirky adventure flick. The story ends up having so many forced twists and turns that the viewers will end up being all confused in the final twenty minutes.

Still, Fantasy Island is thoroughly diversified, entertaining and fast-paced. It's not the most creative, memorable and profound film but it never attempts to be that way and delivers the goods in the action, adventure and fantasy departments. Many people who rated this movie down obviously had wrong expectations right from the start. This movie isn't among Blumhouse greatest productions such as Happy Death Day, Insidious and The Gift but it's certainly better than Paranormal Activity, Truth or Dare and Unfriended. Fantasy Island is good for what it is.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie should not have been tied to series
darwinh1122 February 2020
I did read the negative reviews and understood what the movie was before I went. They should have called it the Horror of Fantasy Isle and not used the names from the TV show and the ratings would be in the 6's. So don't stop from seeing the movie if you read the negative reviews because you know this is a horror comedy going in. A high percentage of the people that rated it negative are rating it because it is not what they expect of the happy Fantasy Island TV Show. I took the positive reviews and took 2 people to the movie and we all enjoyed it.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has potential, but ruined by the lazy plot twist
EveryAgent13 February 2020
Despite plot holes all over the place, the storyline is quite enjoyable at the first and second act. BUT then the writer suddenly decided to rush it at the third act by creating the worst plot twist.
59 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is more than 4.6/10. Go to watch it!
CiNEMAN_19 February 2020
I was hoping not to be bored with this movie, looking at the score of 4.6/10 but I was amazed. Mystery must be the genre, not horror. There is almost no horror inside but so many unexpected things. I believe that the idea is great and the hidden idea even better. This move deserve at least 7/10. Go watch it by yourself.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best in years
disney-1102416 February 2020
Im gonna make this a short review. I was curious when I was walking into this movie after seeing all the bad reviews its been getting so I sat down at my local AMC in Burbank and by the end of the movie I was surprised how much I loved it, this movie is not for everyone and I can see why its getting hate but I feel like moviegoers these days can't enjoy a good little horror film its a monkey paw story don't take it to serious go see this movie have a good time you won't be disappointed.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was fun
rish200615 February 2020
First, this wasn't actually a horror film but it was so fun to watch like a ride on the seat. This film was a jumanji kind of film with a sprinkle of inception. Full score coz it was worth it.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.