Fantasy Island (2020) Poster

Look, it's a B horror movie with hot people . . .
jaskell17 February 2020
What the hell do people expect? Watch it with popcorn, booze, and a few buddies.
50 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No. No. No. No. No!
kban49515 February 2020
Bad movie! Bad, bad...bad movie! Go to your room! Forever!

I don't know where to start. The convoluted attempt at anything close to a plot? The juvenile writing? The bad acting all around? The movie should not have been called Fantasy Island. It should have been called Clue. Cause no one involved had one.

However, I do credit it for a first in the life. As in the first time we in the audience had a conversation, with show of hands, just how bad an experience this was. It was like Lifetime and the CW had a baby. A horribly, disfigured baby.

Please spare yourself. Don't watch it. It's too late for me. But if I spared just one of you, maybe my sacrifice is worth it.
121 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
C'mon people, this is a good, fun little flick
rcnaylor16 February 2020
Oscar worthy? No. But, if you're in the mood for a nice, fun comedy, action, thriller... it is A-OK. Has a couple of twists. Keeps you wondering where its going. If the plot gets a little sketchy here and there, have some more popcorn and give it a bit!

I enjoyed it more than many higher rated, more pumped movies I've seen lately! Grab ya a bucket, a nice beverage and have a little fun with this one!
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has potential, but ruined by the lazy plot twist
EveryAgent13 February 2020
Despite plot holes all over the place, the storyline is quite enjoyable at the first and second act. BUT then the writer suddenly decided to rush it at the third act by creating the worst plot twist.
51 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than I expected
geislekm22 February 2020
I almost didn't go see this movie after reading the reviews, but I had two hours to kill, so I did. All the people who gave terrible reviews are crazy. People were claiming they couldn't follow the plot, but I didn't have any problem at all. In fact, I rather enjoyed myself. Now this movie will not win any Oscars, but neither will it be listed among the worst of all time either. Watch the movie with the notion that you will not see a cinematic masterpiece, but instead will be able to spend two hours where magical islands exist. The TV show Lost had a similar plot, and it was one of the most successful shows of all time. Watch this movie with the same mindset.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got me thinking but rushed ending
mariam170120 February 2020
The ending irritated me because I feel like it undermined what could have been a great thought provoking Movie. Now to what I loved about the movie: The movie explores the human side of regret, resentment and how we become entrapped in the past, so much so that we lose our present.

we are prisoners of the past, resentful of all the wrong done to us. We are captives of our own imagination when we dream about different outcomes of past events. We are slaves to our minds when it starts asking What if.....?

every choice we make in life , is a crossroad and every-time you make a different choice a storyline is revealed and another alternative remains unexplored. The alternative becomes an untold story that disappears into thin air. When we think of regret ... when we look back and say I wish I made a different choice , we are transfixed on that one immediate effect that we want to change; But we rarely think of what comes after, the butterfly effect of that choice. How this one diverge in the road will change the whole story because It will change all of the next chapters of your life. you wont be the same person you are today, you wont be in the same place you are right now. It Could be better or could be far worst.

Now the question : given the chance, would you rather accept your reality or go back , change that one choice and risk it all?

Now if you risk it all and get to see the other outcomes to your story , do you imagine you would say: hell yeah I am so glad I rewrote this whole book! I have finally let go of all regret Or I hate this, this is terrible I 100% prefer my original reality. I am sorry. I accept my original fate. I want to go back ?
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Campy, funny and with the worst meaningless plot twist I've ever seen
pedroquintaoo14 February 2020
I must confess I hadn't high expectations about Fantasy Island because seemed to be another horror movie with the same vibe of Truth or Dare. The story is interesting and makes us think about what we would wish if were in that island, but unfortunately turns to be a little annoying in due of the lack of tension and violence. I just can say this film is more a drama with comedy and fantasy elements than a horror movie.

The other problems are the acting of some characters (I don't think Lucy Hale is a bad actress, she's just unlucky about the roles that she accepts) and the main plot twist that doesn't make ANY SENSE.

SPOILERS: During the final act, everything reveals to be a revenge plan made by Lucy Hale's character. She tried to bring all the people involved in the accident of the man who she loved. That doesn't make sense because during the movie she helps some people and is surprised about everything that happens in the island. During the first act she goes to that torture room alone and she's in shock when finds everything is real and the kidnapped woman in front of her is also real, but in the ending she says that knew everything about the powers of the island.

ENDING OF THE SPOILERS!

For me, Fantasy Island is a campy film, it's really weak however can be so funny and entertaining to watch with a nice group of friends.
50 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad reviews from those who wanted the original Tatoo
Aggiemba9517 February 2020
If you go to this expecting to see the original you will be disappointed. If you go expecting a Blum House Film you will love it. The plot twist is perfectly done. The villain is kept secret. Yes, it is formulaic but they aren't chasing oscars here. They are creating a BLUM HOUSE film, and they did a good job. The film is fun to watch and entertaining.
32 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure why the bad reviews?
daleer14 February 2020
People seem to rate these types of movies badly and I am not sure why. I think this was very unique, not many movies are made about islands that manifest your fantasies in a dark, twisted way. Despite anything it should get points for creativity. Secondly, it was thrilling, and kept you thinking about who was behind jt all, and managed to surprise me completely. Obviously with a group of 5-6 main characters it is hard to flesh out all of their development but even that did a good job and managed to get a few emotional moments. In conclusion, campy, gimmicky horror is a style of its own and doesn't deserve to be rated badly.
38 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as people make it seem
alexponce-2792416 February 2020
The movie is not that bad and it is entertaining but it's not worth anticipating its just the kind of movie you watch on Netflix when you're bored and don't know what to watch
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is more than 4.6/10. Go to watch it!
CiNEMAN_19 February 2020
I was hoping not to be bored with this movie, looking at the score of 4.6/10 but I was amazed. Mystery must be the genre, not horror. There is almost no horror inside but so many unexpected things. I believe that the idea is great and the hidden idea even better. This move deserve at least 7/10. Go watch it by yourself.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantasy Island
Jo_Blo_Movie_Critic17 February 2020
6/10 - despite overwhelmingly negative reviews, I was thoroughly entertained by the this off-the-walls BSC thriller even though I could have easily reduced a substantial amount of the runtime (unnecessary and dragged out storylines)
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the bad reviews
brainsmasher-6618 February 2020
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It's not worthy of an Oscar; but I was entertained. Technically I guess you could call this a horror movie; but it wasn't scary. I don't like being scared.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good experience.
XDannyGuffeyX18 February 2020
An entertaining plot, a nice acting cast, and I liked the fresh take on a classic franchise.

Too many people on here are just crybabies behind computer screens. Get a life.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, it was awesome
curtinleslie5617 February 2020
Really enjoyed it, and without reading other reviews or being influenced by anyone, on see it and hoping I hadn't wasted my money, and wow I loved it.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let the sea wash it away
DJKwa13 February 2020
You know Oscar season is well and truly over when a film like Fantasy Island is dropped into cinemas, ready to remind audiences that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. No, I'm not talking about the fantasies turned nightmares at the centre of the film, but rather the need for films like Fantasy Island to remind audiences what constitutes a good film to begin with.

At the top of that list should be a coherent storyline, something which Fantasy Island didn't seem able to budget into its meagre $7 million price-tag. What begins as a fun B-grade horror/thriller quickly descends into abject nonsense, with a last act that will either have you howling in laughter or utter disbelief... or both. It's like the studio decided to take the supernatural elements from Lost, but forgot to bring the nuance, depth or philosophical pretence that made that show (mostly) work. Or they just hired the guys who wrote Truth or Dare.

Full disclosure, I have never seen an episode of the same-titled 70's show upon which the film is based on. Maybe those who find the show a guilty pleasure will be more forgiving of the film's utter nonsense. But, if there's one thing they are less likely to forgive is the film's treatment of an iconic character. Contrary to reports, "Tattoo" is in the film, but after watching it you'd probably prefer he wasn't.
43 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuine little gem of a modern B movie
nicolailaros23 February 2020
Let me say first that I don't care if this movie is an adaptation of a famous 80s serie and even less that a lot of people here are in need of a (very) good ophtalmologist and a (brilliant) brain surgeon: Fantasy Island delivers on so many levels that it would be a joke to sum it up for these guys here... Let me just say that this movie will be a true BlumHouse classic in a few years. Bravo to Jeff Wadlow; what an improvement over Kick Ass 2! A sequel please. Quick!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anybody Recall The Very First Fantasy Island movie?
richardfuller-9297314 February 2020
There were actually two movies before the tv series, but the first one was basically very similar to this one. A famed hunter wanted to be hunted, a woman wanted to attend her own funeral and a WWII vet wanted to relive his lost romance. In some way, the fantasy worked, in another way, things didn't, or, as happened in the movie, the fantasy ended. I really didn't enjoy the tv show giving way to Love Boat on land as it did, with each person finding romance in the end as well. I think only one time on the show did the fantasies crossover. Granted, there seemed to be some bits that were a tad clunky, but in the end they all came together, . . . . somewhat connecting. Hardly the worst movie, as all the other posts seem to think, and they did seem to be along the lines of what the people on the show always wanted. Won't give away what happened to anybody, but it was together as a movie. Do I think a sequel would be possible? Possibly.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie seen in years
ephrem_ez12 February 2020
After a few dialogs the only thing you'll want is to run away from the theater. There's nothing to save from this movie except maybe Maggie Q. Don't know how I stayed until the end it was a torture !
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch!? Don't watch.
mexi_babyboy15 February 2020
This movie is so convaluted. Is this a horror, a comedy, a drama or a revenge mystery? This movie is so laughably terrible! The acting is terribly bad, the dialogue is extremely bad and at times this movie wanted to flex its 'woke' muscles by inserting social commentary as well.

Their is no clear motivation of who is behind the evil, because it bounces back and fourth between what 'he wants' 'she wants' or what the owner of F. I. wants. At times it felt like it wanted to be an action movie and it carried different tones throughout the movie (which I think dragged and soul have been way shorter) and even during the second act it felt it wanted to be like 'Indiana Jones' and go on a mission to :destroy'the Island' The LACK of exposition really infuriates the audience watching because it makes it hard to follow.

Terrible movie. The only reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because of its amazing location shots and georgeous setting. They wasted Micheal Pena and Rookers character. Michael Penas character had a strange accent that disrupted the energy and took you out of the flow of the film.

Do yourself a favor and make sure to make your fantasy be to avoid this movie at all costs.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice Friday night movie
brainsmasher-6618 February 2020
The reviews I have been reading and seeing on YouTube are so bad that I had to go see for myself. I would rank this movie up there with Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. I got what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was shocked to find myself LOVING this!!!
mickdansforth17 February 2020
It was not expecting to like it, but I really loved Fantasy Island. There was a twist I wasn't ready for, but I feel they really stuck the landing and I had a great time watching this movie. This movie is more horror than not, but not by much, and surprisingly true to the original show while still doing something new.

This movie cost $7M to make, and if not profitable already should be by the end of next weekend. So there's a decent chance they make a $10M sequel. And as every review is people pissed this wasn't more extreme, I will have to check spoiler reviews before watching Fantasy Island 2-7.

The post credits moment actually happens at the end of the movie before the credits so there's no post credits scene.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspensefull!
deelremick16 February 2020
Loved this! It was very good. Suspenseful, not gory. The characters were great. I loved the story. The location was beautiful. I thought this was going to be more of a slasher fim, but it is not. I was surprised I liked it so much! If you like thrillers, Fantasy Island is for you. Highly recommend!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why 1 star reviews
cvdw1216 February 2020
Dont understand why this movie has or gets low ratings. Saw it yesterday and im sure its worth 7 stars. And I like good movies. If I see a bad one I know.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed the film.
lkbradshaw923 February 2020
Fun suspenseful surprisingly entertaining. Good special effects for a low budget film. Good storyline a surprise around every corner.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.