The Adventures of Tintin (2011) Poster

An intrepid report on The Adventures of Tintin
creepysammich13 October 2011
First off, this is the first time I ever write a review in here. For once, I felt compelled to do it because... Well... because I'm Belgian and grew up on a steady Tintin diet, like most Belgians my age and older. The comics... not the cartoons. Needless to say I'm a old fan.

I also happen to be a fan of Spielberg's, probably since seeing E.T. when I was about 5 years old. The two could be mutually exclusive. I could take the role of the harcore comics fan who despises the adaptation, or the rabid Spielby fan forgiving everything.

Thankfully, after having the chance to see it before most people out here in Belgium and everywhere else thanks to a journalist buddy, I found out I can to be none of the above. Spielberg and Jackson and all the team behind the adaptation obviously gave the original material the love and respect it deserved, while making it their own.

To clarify the origins of the story itself, you have to know that it isn't the adaptation of one, but three Tintin comics. Its beginning takes root in "Le Crabe aux Pinces D'or", while the rest of the movie revolves around the two-albums story of the hunt for Rakham the Red's treasure, "Le Secret de la Licorne" and "Le Trésor de Rakham le Rouge". While it could seem like a lot of material for a whole movie, the choice of blending those three (two and a half) stories together turns out giving the movie a rather perfect pacing.

To kill a double controversy in the making, and like I've already read in a couple critics: Tintin has always been a "bland" character in the comics. He has no asperities. He is brave, always gets out of the tangles he gets in, he is a good guy, he doesn't know doubts... Tintin as a character has his limits, dramatically speaking, and even Hergé knew that... It is actually the reason for the appearance of Captain Haddock after a few albums. Haddock is the dark side of Tintin, prone to anger and shouting insults, hard drinker, natural born loser... Far from a being just a comical sidekick, Haddock is the human counterpart to the flawless hero that Tintin is (remember, this is a comic, originally aimed at kids and older kids). The movie has the intelligence of starting off the big screen adventures of Tintin with the two meeting up and becoming friends, a real turning point in the continued adventures of Tintin.

The movie also deftly skips what could have been a typically Hollywoodish mistake of giving Tintin exposition. But none of that nonsense here. Tintin is a reporter, that's all you need to know. That's all the comics ever told us about him. None of them ever showed Tintin doing actual reporter work. I don't think he ever used a typewriter, he has no boss, no workplace. Tintin just finds himself where adventure is. Because he's a reporter. Hergé never needed more, kudos for the guys behind this movie for keeping true to that. It will be held against them, but that will be coming from people who don't know the original material.

But I somehow had little worries about that, honestly. It was only obvious they wouldn't touch the spirit of what's considered a classic worldwide. Well, not those guys. I had more doubts about the transition from Hergé's "Ligne Claire" type of drawing to CGI's and even more so to the use of 3D. And that's where I was truly impressed. Not that I'm adverse to CGIs, mind. In fact it's the cartoons that bred those doubts in me. The varied 2D, celluloid adventures of Tintin always bugged me, because of that transition from the seemingly simple but incredibly dynamic looks of the books, looking so wrong when brought to animated life. Yet the movie did a great job of shutting up the Tintin geek. It simply looks stunning, and your mind easily jumps back and forth between forgetting these are cartoon characters and appreciating their transition to a 3D environment, respectful of the original designs but literally bringing them to life.

In short, all these elements drew me to the same conclusion, Spielby and co. managed to deal a great adaptation. One that has true respect for the original material, and the great ambition of adding something to it. Yes, not everything of it. "Le Crabe aux Pinces D'or" could have deserved a whole movie. Shortcuts are taken, and as true to their originals as they are, the characters have been redesigned. But in the end you have a movie that can be appreciated both by fans of the comics as well as people who have "just heard about them". It is fun, packed with adventure and action, enjoyable at all ages. And most of all, you can go see it without having to worry about seeing another piece of Hollywood-flavoured perversion, a fast-foodified betrayal. If that's what you like, note, there's been that Smurf thing, recently (another childhood favourite). You know, that other Belgian comics adaptation that took the little blue dudes from their tiny corner of European medieval forest to... Modern New York? But if you have more gourmet tastes, better bet your money on Jackson and Spielberg. Trust this true childhood Tintin fan.
467 out of 538 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually stunning, perfectly done & thoroughly entertaining
MUFCOK24 June 2013
I never saw the original Tintin cartoons and before this film new nothing about it.

I watched this film this evening, two years after its release .. and i'm left thinking, why did I not watch this film before now?!

This was such an enjoyable film, it was much, much better than i thought it was going to be, there are so many great things about this movie:

THE VISUALS: Easily one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen, i wish i had watched this at the cinema - especially in 3d. The animation is perfect. it's bright, colourful and scarily lifelike. The characters, scenery and landscapes all look incredible and so creative. Even the opening credits look fantastic! I can't stress how good the visuals are in this film.

THE DIRECTION: Spielberg has done an incredible job here, nothing could have been improved in this aspect. The way the movie flows and the way the scenes intertwine and change is beautiful. There are scenes where it switches from past to present and back again in such a way that you just get lost in it.. you will understand what i mean when you see the movie. There are scenes of fights and chases which are so creative and so imaginative, the way he uses angles and the way everything links on is a real joy to watch. Its hard to explain, watch the film and you will know exactly what I mean.

However, the film is not just a visual feast like many films are. It has a good solid story with likable, interesting characters - I found the story line kept my attention throughout. A very original adventure/quest film, searching for hidden treasure and defeating the bad guys along the way!

I cannot recommend this film enough, i was so surprised by just how good it was. As i said earlier I am sorry I didn't go and see this in the cinema as it really would have been a fantastic experience.

Watch it!
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Adventures of Tintin" is quintessentially the perfect family film: incredibly joyous, thrilling and comically genius adventure.
info-130-28869616 October 2011
Before his passing in 1983, Hergé said that if any filmmaker was to adapt his collection of timeless tales following the adventures of a Belgian reporter to the big screen, Steven Spielberg was the only man for the job, and after two decades of trial and error, the cinematic version of Tintin has finally reached our screens with the desired director at its helm. Alongside Spielberg sits Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) maestro Peter Jackson as producer and three of Britain's brightest writers (Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish) who have that almost impossible task of translating the stories from comic strips to 35mm. This 3D motion-capture and CGI extravaganza combines three of Tintin's most beloved outings (The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure) and hits UK multiplexes just before the school half-term.

After discovering an elegant model of the ship the 'Unicorn' at a market, Tintin (voiced by Jamie Bell) and his loyal dog Snowy are intrigued as to why so many desire it, and comment on the secrets it holds. When the model is stolen, more information surfaces and the pair set out to discover the truth, teaming up, after a surprise meeting, with the boisterous drunkard Captain Haddock (voiced by Andy Serkis). The group's adventure spans the globe, with each destination bringing more danger and that crucial step closer towards unravelling the mystery.

From the moment the picture opens, the film's tone and mood is set: mystery and adventure merged with fun and frolics. The classy, hand-drawn, animated titles use the signature silhouette imagery with style and sophistication, making the wit and wonder evident even before audiences have graced their eyes on the monumental motion capture work.

In a rather lacklustre year for animation, with the only true blossom of beauty being Studio Ghibli's impeccable 'Arrietty', Spielberg's latest thankfully ends this dry-run with a picture that explodes with vibrancy, craftsmanship and realism. Unlike Robert Zemeckis' motion-capture entries (The Polar Express [2004] and A Christmas Carol [2009]); The Adventures of Tintin is an entirely different bunch of blistering blue barnacles – every frame enforces impeccable detail and naturalism, and like the best animated pictures, viewers will forget they are watching digitalised representations in no time. Whether the visuals are mind-blowing as in the all-important action sequences – or brilliantly subtle – like the red, sweat-streaked cheeks and brows of Tintin and Haddock as they trek through a desert – this film is a clear example of just how magnificent technology is in this day and age.

Without a shadow of a doubt this is the year's finest animated entry – expect an Oscar nomination and a deserved win. As well as its tremendous visual flair, the feature's script is a revelation: beautifully written and whimsical dialogue that is frequently hilarious and manages to merge the three classic tales so seamlessly. Considering Hergé's stories are separate volumes, the typing trio behind this movie are able to make a sensible structure with the texts, making the film flow as gracefully as its perfect imagery. As well as the laughs, the script provides great character development for those new to the world of Tintin without insulting audiences with an hour's lesson. Young children will have no trouble picking up who's who in the early stages, before settling back for the incredible roller coaster ride of the second and climatic act.

Action fans will gain greatness from this movie too. Expect high octane chases, pirate swordplay and more bullets than a Sylvester Stallone entry – just a lot less gore and swearing. In fact, although The Adventures of Tintin is action-packed, its PG certificate is justified; I cannot recall anything remotely damaging or frightening for young eyes, so parents have nothing to fear with this one when deciding on their half-term picture.

The film also sees the much needed return of composer John Williams who provides yet another dazzling and effective score. The music captures the essence of the film in an instant and compliments it throughout.

The voice casting is collectively brilliant with Bell and Serkis being the obvious standouts. Bell's inquisitive tone and frequent high-pitched bursts mirror the speech bubbles Tintin utters in the comic panels. When reading a Hergé story, this is exactly how the character sounds in your head. Serkis steals the show as Captain Haddock and is given splendid dialogue to growl through bitter Scottish chords. Haddock's often stupid remarks and forgetfulness is beautifully represented through the animated character. Daniel Craig is also fantastic as the less-than-trustworthy Ivanovich Sakharine while Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are side-splitting as the lovable policing dunces Thomson and Thompson. Plus Snowy is absolutely wonderful.

There is no doubt that Spielberg's adaptation will be top of the box office upon release and hopefully those new to Tintin will be influenced to re-visit the books and television shows of yesteryear and become more involved with one of the century's most beloved and important literary creations.

Verdict: ••••• 'The Adventures of Tintin' is quintessentially the perfect family film and has plenty to offer audiences of all ages. This is an incredibly joyous, thrilling and comically genius adventure. Hergé was onto a winner with his thoughts towards Spielberg and he can rest easy now knowing his tales have been faithfully and beautifully translated into a cinematic masterwork. Great Snakes, it's good.
200 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a Splendid Re-creation!
aaronjbong11 November 2011
Since 1981, Spielberg has become an avid fan of this gorgeous "Tintin" comics and has been longing to create a film about it. Before he and "Tintin's" master, Herge could meet, Herge passed away. However, Herge's widow decided to give them the rights and began the adventure to re-create this marvelous wonder of art.

Adapted from three of the comics, Spielberg's re-creation of the comics introduces us to Tintin (Jamie Bell), a Belgian reporter who gets caught up in all sorts of adventures. One day, he found a model of a ship, the Unicorn and bought it and brought it home. However, when Tintin was buying the ship, two men came to try to buy the model, Sakharine (Daniel Craig) and Barnaby. Later, Tintin discovers that the model holds an important secret and somehow, the secret is linked to the real ship itself. On the way for answers, he meets the grumpy Haddock and head off to an adventure spanning around the globe with his white fluffy dog Snowy.

The animation is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. It's not right to call it a CGI film as the motion of the characters are much smoother than that of CGI films. Tintin's animated self looks stunning (even though he looks kind of different from his comic-self) in his blue long sleeves. Snowy is fluffier than ever. Captain Haddock is grumpier than ever. All of the animation is simply breathtaking and the best I've ever seen.

I like how they change scenes. While most other movies just shift scenes normally, this film uses a little imagination and is ingenious in shifting scenes. They can change from a scene of shaking hands to a desert scene by using the outline of the two hands into the surface of the desert. This thing is just entertaining and great in its own right and deserves some reward.

The movie itself is fun to watch. The story is compelling, the lines are natural-sounding, and the action is plenty of fun to watch. It is great excitement to watch and I was hooked from beginning to end. Great plot + awesome action + breathtaking animation equals up to amazing movie.

The 3D is perfectly fine. The depth is seen and the 3D just makes the movie even more fun to watch.

I definitely recommend you to watch this film. "Tintin" fan or no, this is sheer fun to watch. If this movie is out in your country, watch it immediately. For U.S. citizens, I'm sorry if you still have to wait for a while but I promise you, this is like no other movie. This movie is over the top and is plenty of fun to watch. A full 10 out of 10! Thanks for reading my review on "The Adventures of Tintin". I do hope this review is of good use to you.
121 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riding and Remembering the shivers of an adventurous childhood
Lyra-gp25 October 2011
When about a year ago, at the supermarket, I saw on the Empire magazine's cover the 3D reproduction of one of my childhood's toon-idols my eyes popped out. 'WHO is directing WHAT???' - the question that echoed in my mind: It was a bit of shock finding out that one of my favorite directors was working on a movie from a character I considered buried under the dusts of time. The astonishment was soon replaced by excitement and I made the way back home from the supermarket hopping and smiling.

Today I decided to take an adventurous break from my dull academic life and went to the cinema to watch it. No wonder the room was almost full, despite the fact that the movie will be officially released tomorrow. As soon as the opening credits appeared on the screen I felt a shiver of excitement running through my spine as I was visually meeting an old friend from my childhood again; to my pleasure I felt the same sensations I would feel when I was a child. That's one of the VERY good points of this production: the spirit of Herge's Tintin, in Spielberg's movie, remains UNALTERED. There are some cases, though, in which the characters are even better and more deeply characterized than in the comic strips.

OK, let's release now all the excitement about this movie. If I had just five short seconds to say how I think this movie is I'd chose 7 words: Mesmerising from the beginning to the end. That's quite true if you consider that even the opening credits are little shining pearls of direction and creativity.

The general impression you get from this movie, talking about direction, is that nothing could have been better. Spielberg's direction is, in this case as well, a real warranty of general great quality. Three things I particularly appreciated: -The movie flows perfectly; it is kind of a pleasure for your eyes and for your brain to follow the adventure. -There's literally a STORM of brain-waves (and here comes the Spielberg's touch); especially, in the connection phases between one scene and the other the director totally expresses his genius, turning the open ocean into a pond, making two shaking hands become dunes in the desert and so on (you'll understand what I mean when you'll watch the movie) -The 'camera's movements' literally pull you into the movie and you can't help feeling excited or scared according to the situation.

You can tell it's a Spielberg's movie even just looking at these things.

Although all the things I have listed until now are enough to candidate the movie as the best movie of the year (in my opinion) there's still something I must remember: The quality of animation. I really could not find a proper term to define my astonishment when my eyes approached the beautiful places and landscapes shown in the movie. They look perfect, shining and bursting with emotions, sensations; they almost look like paintings: For instance, there's a sunset in the movie that I will hardly forget. It's the same with the CGI models: you can see the wrinkles on the character's faces, even their sweat.

Furthermore, some words about the actors: Bells and Serkis are maybe the sole two living beings who could have given birth to the cinematographic version of the two main characters. The first succeeds in the hard challenge to provide the audience with a convincing and faithful interpretation of the beloved protagonist (he did A GREAT job indeed), the second is a delightful surprise again, with a funny Scottish accent and a very good interpretation.

One last word goes to one of the best composer alive: Sir John Williams. There's nothing to do, every piece of music he creates is able to touch the deepest strings of our hearts. With a soundtrack (already bought at the HMV store) that ranges from the epic tones to the mysterious ones he gives us another example of his limitless genius, because he still remains one of those composers able to make us cry.

Finally, Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn, is one of the greatest surprises of the year. Another great adventure in the archive of the most spectacular stories of humanity, told by a MASTER story-teller (Spielberg). A movie you will hardly forget.
156 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rollicking good adventure
Sevenmercury724 October 2011
What begins as a fun, nimble little mystery in the first act soon kicks into comedy-action-adventure high gear when junior reporter Tintin, with his brave dog Snowy, stumbles upon boozy Captain Haddock (an excellent Andy Serkis), whose family legacy may prove pivotal in a race to uncover the secret of the Unicorn.

From that point on, it's more or less non-stop comedy—some fizzles, most of it works—with gags ranging from jaw-dropping blockbuster chase antics to throwaway background humour. Captain Haddock works brilliantly for the most part: he's unpredictable, endearing, and colourful in all the ways Tintin himself isn't. While the youngster is well played by Jamie Bell, he's mostly just there to work out the clues for the audience. Tintin and Haddock make for a good double-act, though: brains and brawn, cunning and in-over-his-head rashness; together they'd make a good Indiana Jones.

The plot is a by the numbers mystery/adventure/treasure hunt, complete with bumbling detectives (so-so comic support from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost), exciting sea plane action and hidden clues, but it's brought to life in gorgeous visual style. While the script only comes alive in fits and starts, the whole film is bursting with rich detail, and is given added depth by a good, solid use of 3D. The virtual camera-work throughout is stupendous.

One extended chase sequence through the flooding streets of a North African city is so dazzling and dizzying it reminded me why no other filmmaker can match Spielberg when he lets his imagination out for a spin. Another action scene, told in flashback, depicts a breathless pirate showdown in a storm, and features some of the most playful transitions I've seen since Ang Lee's Hulk. There's a pretty good villain, too, played by a wily Daniel Craig.

Snowy, while definitely smarter than your average cute canine, is also given to chasing cats, digging up fossilised bones from the desert, and gobbling sandwiches at decidedly inopportune moments. In other words, he's an instant audience favourite.

All in all, it's a rollicking good adventure, one of Spielberg's most fun movies in a long time, and I'll be buying it on Blu-ray next year.
108 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great film for all ages
DrunkUniStudent22 October 2011
I went to see this film in a free screening and took my nephew and niece with me, seeing as it was a family film to try and get different reactions to the film.

Let me start off with my view of the film, I've been a fan of Tintin since I first saw the cartoon back in the early 90's, though never read the comics. When I saw the credits of who wrote, produced and directed the film, you think to yourself this film is going to be awesome, there is no way with all that talent they can't possible f**k this up (and they didn't). You have Spielberg directing, Peter Jackson as a producer. Also the writing team great with Steven Moffat, known for Sherlock, Dr who, Coupling and another of my child hood favs, Press Gang. Finally you have Edgar Wright, who wrote and directed Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

The version of the film i saw was 3d, as it was a preview and i didn't have a choice. Normally i watch all my showing in 2d as i think its personally a fad and a rip off and the films i have seen excluding Avatar, i didn't think the 3d aspect improved the film going enjoyment one bit. This again is my option while the 3d is nice, and the shots going through glass and water was really good, there was nothing else that would have me pulling out another £2 a ticket. I would have been happy with a basic 2d version.

On to the film story, TinTin (voice by Billy Elliott's Jamie Bell) buys a handmade ship in market. As soon as he buys it he gets a number of offers of people willing to buy it from him, which TinTtn rejects. When he gets home Snowy, Tintin dog, breaks the ship and a hidden clue rolls out, which begins Tintin trying to work out what it means. Tintin then gets kidnapped by the evil Ivanovich Sakharine (Daniel Craig), who is after the clue. This where Tintin mets up with Captain Haddock as they set of trying to work out the meaning of Tintin clue.

The film is a really mixture of action and adventure. We see the heroes on board ships, rowing boats, fly airplanes, riding camels, having car\bike chases and crane fights. The time flew past for me and not once did i feel bored, this was probably down to the amount going with the film, the quick pace of the action and the different locations of the characters were always in. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones films a lot, where he is on the hunt for treasure, and he only has half of the clues, and the bad guys have the others half and both sides are trying to get the other half for the themselves. He then needs to go around the globe via different transportation to get the info he needs to find the treasure.

There is also a large amount of humour in the film, seeing as Moffat, who wrote coupling helped write it, this is no big surprise. While i got the jokes neither my nephew (3) nor niece (8) did. So I am assuming that these were aim at the adults watching.

The characters the film makers can't chance much from the original Hergé comics, but Tintin I did find too goody goody, the captain is great character, who is drunk loser, but has a kind heart and wants to do the right thing. The bad guy, Sakharine, is perfect, scary enough to make you believe that he is ruthless killer who is a greedy and after revenge, but on the other had not going over board to make the kids feel scared or afraid of him when he was on screen. There is also the two comic relief characters of inspector Thomson, who are on screen just enough to make you smile at the pratfalls and their stupidness, but not too long for the jokes to wear thin so you're sick of seeing them.

My rating of the film would be 4 out of 5.

On to the kids view of the film. 1st my nephew who is 3 years old (4 in November). He told me he liked the film a lot especially the pirate bits, but he didn't understand why the pirates were bad. He also said he liked the motorcycle chase because the bikes were cool. As i was sitting next to him i could tell the film was slightly too long for him as he started to fidgit a bit in the last 15 mins.

My niece who is 8 (9 in December), i didn't get a lot of information from her, when i asked if she liked all her answer was yes it was good, and when i asked what her favourite bit was, she told me all of it.

As a reference for taking children during the half term break, i would say 4 and under while enjoy the film like my nephew did, but they won't fully understand the plot of the film or why certain things are happening, but for 5 years old and up this film and adults included this is a must see.
146 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good family action
dfranzen7011 November 2012
Even if you've never heard of the Tintin character, let alone read the classic Herge comics, this movie of his adventures is terrific from start to finish, complete with invigorating characters, dazzling effects (special and otherwise), exotic settings, and unabashed, wall-to-wall exhilaration and excitement. I enjoyed it.

Tintin (voice of Jamie Bell) is a young-lad reporter who, apparently, finds himself in extraordinary situations with some frequency. While shopping in a local market, he purchases a model boat called the Unicorn. Almost immediately, Tintin and his faithful canine friend Snowy are pursued by the mysterious Mr. Sakharine (Daniel Craig), ostensibly so that the latter can complete his collection. But of course that's not the real reason, is it? No, he's after more, much more. It all has to do with the Unicorn's real-life namesake and what happened to it (scuttled at sea) and, more importantly, what it carried. Right off, Tintin (okay, Snowy) discovers a scroll hidden in the model's mast that may be a clue to something bigger - but there are two other scrolls.

It's an old-fashioned treasure hunt. Tintin runs into a frequently inebriated Captain Haddock (voice of Andy Serkis), who has a strong connection to the original Unicorn and to the scrolls themselves. With Haddock and Snowy at his side, Tintin races across the globe to solve the mystery before Sakharine, a journey that takes him to multiple continents, fighting bad guys with swords, guns, fists, and feet. It's a throwback movie; a movie quite similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark, itself a throwback to the serials of the early 20th century. And, of course, the director here is one Steven Spielberg, whom you might recognize as a progenitor of that Raiders universe himself.

The movie is animated, both literally and figuratively, and the animation is so exquisitely realistic that it's easy to perceive it as completely lifelike. The action is intense and relentless, but because of the depth of detail in the animation, it's tough to imagine it as anything other than a terrific live-action film. When Tintin leaps from building to building or from a moving car, we actually cringe - can he make it?

Here's an added bonus - apparently, the movie is very close to the source material. Tintin has not been updated or modified to mollify new audiences; remember, so many Americans have never heard of the intrepid reporter. And there's no time waste on explaining who Tintin is, or what he is, or how old he's supposed to be. You know why? Because it's irrelevant, that's why. He's just an adventuring dude with a smart dog and a lot of panache.

Bell, Serkis, and Craig are all superb in their roles (the latter two have dual roles each). Simon Pegg and Nick Frost show up as Interpol agents named Thompson and Thompson and offer excellent comic relief; are they bumbling, or are they just that good? It's the latter.

There really is so much to like about this movie, and it's one of those rare films that can be recommended not only to children in general but to girls and boys alike. It's artful, engaging, fascinating, and wonderful to behold.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I will find that ship. With or without your help!"
jan_kalina30 October 2011
And Steven Spielberg has found that ship and that ship has sailed him to a brand new technology for filmmaking. Yes, I'm talking about motion capture or as Spielberg calls it "perfomance" capture. This technology is a like a new toy for Steven. You can feel the joy for filmmaking from every shot, every detail. He plays with the camera in a way he never could while making a live-action film. For example in probably the best scene of the film the main character, Tintin is gliding on a wire and the camera is following him throughout the whole scene in a continuous shot. But you can still say, you still see that this is a Spielberg movie. You know this is a Spielberg movie since the opening title credits that will remind you a lot of the opening credits in Catch Me If You Can. Even the music is very similar.

The main character is Tintin, who is a journalist who we never see doing any journalism though, but that doesn't matter because he is the textbook example of a heroic boy with boy scout qualities. The voice of Jamie Bell fits perfectly for the character. Andy Serkis gives here an incredible performance as Captain Haddock, the drunken sailor who to me was often reminiscent of a grumpy Harrison Ford. The story did seem as too much centered on Captain Haddock though, you could even say this should have been called "The Adventures of Captain Haddock" instead of Tintin. Daniel Craig is unrecognizable as the main villain Sacharine. Although his voice did jump to his normal voice in one line but otherwise you didn't know it was him. Of course I can't forget to mention the lovable dog, Snowy. He steals almost every scene that he is in. He is very realistic, he acts like a real dog and even gets his own chase scene. I'm telling you will adore this dog.

The animation is magnificent, the motion capture has gone a long way since The Polar Express. It looks very realistic, especially all the features on Captain Haddock's face. The beard, the wrinkles and the eyes, they all looked amazing. Especially the eyes, they aren't so dead-eyed anymore as in The Polar Express.

The action scenes are brilliantly written and directed, the angles of the camera, the drive of the action scenes, timing of all the jokes(physical or visual) is genius. Because Spielberg is a genius. He is the master of adventure movies and there never will be another genius in adventure movies like him.

Overall Spielberg has created an old-fashioned style adventure movie for the whole family to enjoy,where the important things are just the hunt for the treasure, the friendship two people can make and the most important thing of all that it is an entertaining ride. Spielberg never disappoints, it doesn't matter if you are a fan of Tintin or not, you will enjoy this film nonetheless
85 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blistering Barnacles! The adventure film of the year!
keuhkokala20 October 2011
Having grown up with the Tintin comic books, I was doubtful of this project. I'm not a fan of the motion-capture technology and I feared the world created by Hergé would be sanitized for American audiences. But there was no need to worry. Tintin is a funny, exciting and tremendously entertaining adventure movie. It's also Spielberg's most entertaining film since Jurassic Park.

Tintin (Jamie Bell) is a young reporter who gets tangled in the affairs of smugglers when he buys a model ship from a scrap meet. When he gets kidnapped to the smugglers' ship, he meets Captain Haddock (Andy Serkis). He's a pure-hearted old drunk, who has information on a great treasure, told as a legend in his family for generations. He just needs to get sober enough to remember it. The adventure takes the pair to the Atlantic, Sahara, Morocco and finally back home. Tintin lives in an unmentioned European city that could be Brussels, London or any other one that has a sea port, really.

True to the comics, Tintin himself doesn't really have any strong characteristics. So it stands to reason that the minor characters steal the film again and again. Captain Haddock's alcoholism may not be suitable for the younger children, but it provides some of the film's most hilarious jokes. Almost as good are Nick Frost and Simon Pegg as bumbling Interpol detectives Thompson and Thomson. Familiar faces from the comics pop up now and then, but don't overcrowd the film. The focus is still on the main characters.

Even the 3D isn't just a distraction, as Spielberg has truly gone off his way to make use for the technology. Action scenes are shot with a long single shot, where the camera goes around to wild angles. There's a strong sense of being in on the action and forgetting you even are wearing a pair of painful glasses. The film takes a while to pick off steam at first, but after that the action varies from pirate battles to crane fights. The most outstanding scene is the motorcycle chase near the end, which would give Indiana Jones a run for his money.

The film's story is faithful to the comic book, and thus ends promising more. I hope there will be, because I was willing to follow Tintin and Haddock on new adventures straight away! I'd say it's among the best, the most innovative comic-book films with Sin City and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. The film is excellent escapism from the dreary day-to-day life and it made me smile for the rest of the day.
77 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been great
thehairthieves27 December 2011
I was really excited to see this film, as I'm a big fan of Tintin, both the comics and the TV series from the early 90s. I was also pleased to see that the American influence would be primarily limited to Steven Spielberg, with the cast being mostly British and also having Peter Jackson on board. Things started off quite well, with the film sticking closely to the comics and TV episodes, keeping a good pace which got me into the film early on. I was also very impressed with the motion-capture animation and the 3D effects, even if some of the characters didn't look quite right.

However, soon after Tintin and Haddock crashed in the desert, things started to go rapidly downhill. The key to this was the fact that the story suddenly veered off onto its own tangent, almost disregarding the original story and the fact it had based so much of itself on the originals up until that point.

What also infuriated me was the silliness of it. Of course, a film like this should have a dose of silliness, there's no question of that. But there was far too much, which really ruined it for me. The climactic scene of the duel in the cranes is a prime example of this. It was just too silly for me to take it seriously. Not only that, but this would never have been in one of Herge's original stories.

My last gripe is that the film seemed far too long, particularly towards the end. A lot of scenes could have been either shortened or cut all together, as they didn't further the plot or provide anything to the enjoyment. This is another reason why I didn't enjoy the climax of the film, I was bored by the time it got around to it.

Overall, I would say that this is a film which had great promise, as Tintin is perfect for an action-adventure movie, but the fact that a lot of the film ignores the original stories ruins any chances of that. I would say that any major deviation from the original stories should only have been done if absolutely necessary to make the film work.
70 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just too.... ridiculous
sdebeaubien28 December 2011
Aside from the badly stereotyped characters, and the overly ridiculous action sequences, I liked the movie, and thought it was OK. But, I just came away feeling like somebody had put me on a thrill ride and told me I was supposed to have fun and that I would come away feeling exhilarated but instead I came away feeling set up.

I just couldn't shake the feeling. My wife loved it, thought it was every bit the thrill ride. Well, I have to give it those moments. Visually it was very appealing. But then, I started wondering if I'd ever seen any of the original comics that this was based upon. Turns out I haven't seen those either. So, I won't downgrade it on the fact that apparently, it was not very true to the author's original intent.

Instead, it felt like Indiana Jones on steroids. It seemed to me they did things just because they could. You know what I mean, they took the type of silly Raider's stunts and had them move to the next level of ... difficulty. That's a poor word to describe action shots, but you get my drift. They just stretched it a bit too far I thought. Then, there's the plethora of silly characters who add nothing to the story but give us some bizarre attempt at comedy.

I liked the dog Snowy the best. As he had to be mainly a dog and be subject to some limitations, his portrayal in the movie was at least mostly believable. Not that a comic book should be believable or anything - it's just that I think I wanted to like Tintin and even to think he was a hero, but I couldn't because of all the far-fetched stuff happening around him and to him. Dueling cranes ... what next Mr. Spielberg, dancing hippos? Oh, no, Mr. Disney already did that.
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film doesn't completely work for Tintin loyalists (like me who rates the Tintin Comic Books 11/10)
rangdetumpy21 December 2011
Billions of blue blistering barnacles, Ten thousand thundering typhoons – for a whole generation these were the epitome of cuss words thanks to Captain Haddock. I am one of those in late 20s who grew up reading ( mugging to be precise as Thomson & Thompson would have said) Tintin and almost worship Herge for the genius intelligent stories created in the black and white times of our grandpas. Being an hardcore Tintin loyalist the excitement to see the boy sleuth of screen was certainly brewing high. But the movie left me wanting more. It left a mixed reaction in me and here I come one by one at different levels.

Story Level – Hollywood have adapted many novels for big screen and most of the times it has failed to recreate the finesse of the original work. Spielberg's rendition of Tintin somehow managed a mixed reaction in terms of story. Firstly selecting "The Crab with the Golden Claws" make sense as that shows the boy sleuth meeting the gold hearted Captain Haddock for the first time and in the first encounter Tintin comes face to face with the perennial drinking habit of Captain. "The crab with the golden claws" had enough spice for a full fledged film but may be Spielberg wanted some adventure which prompted him to juggle with "The secret of the unicorn" and "the crab with the golden claws" thus making a concatenation of two stories. Personally I felt that the two stories have been woven wisely with liberty taken in creating an ancestral fight between Captain Francis Haddock and Pirate Red Rackham. Somehow the cocktail was well crafted with the story oscillating between two original books. But the second half was outright outlandish as Spielberg merges his own imagination in creating a full fledged action film which took away the essence of Tintin. The subtlety, intelligence were missing as the director chose to make a 80s Bollywoodish action climax which had no connection to the original one. Moreover the movie ended in the way the comic book "Red Rackham's Treasure" ends yet Spielberg hinted a sequel which is related to Red Rackham's treasure. That shows the sequel will be a total new story by Spielberg (or Peter Jackson) with touches of original. It will be strictly for those who have no idea of what actual Tintin is all about. I mean Spilberg could have named it anything Tom Dick and Harry if not Tintin specially for the second half.

Character Level – Spielberg is almost perfect in designing the characters. The look and the way the screen Tintin reacts brings in nostalgia of childhood days when we imagined (and discussed amongst friends) how Tintin would have behaved if made on screen. The attire to expression was all nicely done. Same goes for Snowy, the cute loyal dog of Tintin who can fight with the goons to save his beloved master. In fact children will fall in love with Snowy after watching this film. In one of the scene when Tintin gets kidnapped Snowy follows the car of the goons to the ship were Tintin was deported. The scene indeed brings out the pathos and concern inside Snowy for his master. Coming to Captain Haddock the characterization isn't as perfect as the comic book. The laziness and craziness in the first half were apt but then Captain fighting in the second half is too hard to digest. The detective duo Thompson and Thomson is appropriate and so is famous nightingale singer Bianca Castaphiore. But Spielberg should have included the verbal fights between Castaphiore and Haddock though he hinted Haddock and Snowy's disgust for Castaphiore's opera. Coming to the villains I am not convinced of Sachcharin as the main villain. The original had Bird Brothers as the villain duo which was more convincing than the screen one. In fact if they wanted to include a dreaded notorious villain then Rastapopulous (the evergreen big nosed enemy of Tintin) would have been the right choice. Even malicious Captain Allan has been relegated to side kick of Sachcharin. Captain Francis Haddock and Red Rackham's characters were true to the original book and it worked well.

Technical Level :- Frankly speaking the 3D effects were disappointing though the animation was top notch. The shadows and the structures created the by gone era with utmost precision. The fight sequence between Captain Francis Haddock and Red Rackham was one of the best sequences in the film. With brilliant camera-work and fine editing the scenes looked captivating on screen. Thought the fight sequences in the climax were loud for Tintin purist but at technical level those are a treat to watch and would be lapped by those who don't have a clue of "actual" Tintin. Dialogues were plain pedestrian and thanks to morality lectures by Captain it becomes ridiculous as a Tintin loyalist to sit through in the second half. As a director Spielberg has lost his midas touch long back which is echoed by this film again.

As a whole Adventure of Tintin started of brilliantly but lost its true sense with faulty narrative towards later half. Tintin loyalists would feel cheated but then they would still watch it for Nostalgia. Non-Tintin fans would lap it for the action. But believe me the Belgian reporter who resides in the heart of millions deserve a better on-screen representation thus doing justice to original masterpiece created by genius Herge. Whatever may be the fate of Spielberg's Tintin please go and read the original comic series. Each is brilliant in it's own way..On-screen or off-screen Tintin and Snowy rocks!! Tintin the film 6/10..Tintin the comic book 11/10
52 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Buy the book instead of wasting your money on this
AusSIe862 January 2012
***WARNING*** CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!

I am a HUGE fan of the Tintin comics and have read them all countless times and was excited to hear that Steven Spielberg was making a movie based on one of my favorites: "The Secret Of The Unicorn".

After hearing some reviews from "loyal" Tintin fans I went to see this movie hoping that it would at least be OK. Boy was I wrong. Tintin has been betrayed people. Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson should be ashamed of themselves. It seems like they were so in love with their technological toys that they forgot the most important thing about the film - the story, the characters and respecting Herge. They have practically spat on the great man's grave with this horrible movie.

1) Story - Why did the writers find it necessary to mix three comics into one movie? The Secret of The Unicorn clearly has enough material to make an entertaining movie with Red Rackham's Treasure as a sequel. Sakharine was never a villain. Nor was he Red Rackham's relative (that really is retarded). Nor did he have a pet falcon. Nor was he obsessed with revenge on Haddock. He was simply an innocent antique collector. The Bird Brothers were great villains in the comic and the story had a lot of mystery and intrigue in it - which this movie has NONE.

2) Characters - This is where I hated this movie the most.

Haddock - How could they get this so wrong? Haddock comes off overacted, silly, unfunny and just plain annoying. I never knew whether he was drunk or sober. A distinction that is always made in the comics. And why the hell is he Scottish? There is a scene in the movie where the plane is running out of fuel so Haddock burps medical alcohol into the fuel tank of a plane. That is after the alcohol slipped out of the bottle and was floating in the plane like they were in space. When Sakharine threatens to kill Haddock I was hoping that he would...cause that Haddock was a jerk.

Tintin - So dull, annoying, lifeless and just frustrating. Tintin also did something in this movie that he never did in the comics. He gave up. And then Haddock does something that he never did in the comics. He gives some garbage speech about pushing through walls and being true to your self. What the hell?? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Please people go and buy a copy of "Tintin in Tibet". You will find that Tintin never gives up and Haddock does. That was about the 6th nail in the coffin for me but it was certainly the biggest.

This movie is nothing but boring Hollywood rubbish made by two men that ruined a great story and some great characters and made it into a typical American blockbuster filled with CGI and special effects crap. It is not fun and it is not interesting. The special effects and CGI are not a big deal and I don't know what the fuss is all about with the Baghaar chase scene - I couldn't even tell what was going on, it was like a pinball machine. Tintin was never about action scenes or CGI. Tintin was always about the story and the characters and that is what people fell in love with when reading the comics. And that is what has been screwed up the most in this horrendous piece of crap.

Please people do yourself a favor, save your money and go and buy a comic book and experience the real Tintin. You won't regret it.

Rating: 1/10...
124 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell was that?
richard-856-60064012 December 2011
Went to see this last night. I had serious reservations, because of what I had heard about the film, and because frankly, the previews just didn't look right. But I had similar reservations about Avatar, and I ended up liking that one a lot. The technology: The opening sequence was a tribute to the original animated TV series, where Tintin seems to run pretty much everywhere, but seemed disjointed and odd. When the photo-real action began, it didn't get any better for me. Tintin looked greasy, and his eyes were like glass balls in his head. None of the characters seemed to be able to walk normally. I got the impression they were all weightless, sort of like the characters in Shrek. This is odd to me because mocap should capture an actor's weight as he moves around, but this didn't make it into the film. There is one scene early on when a character runs into a light post, that makes it look like the light post had a force field around it. Other scenes, where Tintin is running and jumping, or when Haddock stumbles and falls, and particularly everything Milou does... just don't look right. I've seen other mocap films where the characters moved very realistically - Monster House, Avatar, even Final Fantasy. So why do they not look right in this movie? Maybe I'm too hard to please. The 3D was nice, however: never jarring, rarely gimmicky. I got a nice feeling of depth without the forced look that post-produced 3-D movies get.

The story: There are some spoilers here, but quite frankly, if you haven't read the books, it won't make any difference to you; if you have read the books, you might as well read on, so you won't end up sitting there for 100 minutes waiting for Tintin to go off on a trip to recover the sunken treasure. I grew up reading Tintin in French. I know all of the Tintin stories. Le Secret de la Licorne / Trésor de Rakham Le Rouge was one of the best. Some people who also have read Tintin say that it was good for the producers to throw in the Capitaine Haddock meeting Tintin story from another Tintin adventure - why? That took up about half the film, and caused the producers to throw out pretty much all of the second book - yes, they totally deleted the entire expedition to the tropics, the underwater adventures, meeting Professeur Tournesol, and put in scenes that were probably deleted from the last Indiana Jones film. There were some laughs, and from time to time, I saw past the dead eyes and clumsy movements of the characters, but overall, it just didn't work for me. Some of the minor details also left me cold. At one point, Tintin pulls a gun out, and it's not a Browning Hi-Power. It looked like a Walther PPK, or some other smaller handgun. I can't be sure, but I fondly remember Tintin ALWAYS using a Browning Hi-Power pistol. It's the Belgian pistol of choice, and Hergé was a proud Belgian. I could be wrong about this, so call me on it if I'm wrong.

The 1930s: it looked like a 1930's period piece. Interesting, because Tintin's early adventures were set in pre-war Europe, but it's going to be odd in the sequels when they try to make Objectif Lune, when Tintin goes to the moon.

Language: I saw this in French in the theater, and quite frankly, it was disappointing. Everything was in English. I was hoping for some sort of attempt to retain the core language of Tintin, including props, news clippings, street signs... it's all in English. I guess I was expecting the same sort of excellence you get in a Pixar film, where they take the time to change the title sequence, and some if not all of the text in the film to the language that it's dubbed in.

Chase Scenes: Spielberg can't seem to let this go. He inserts incredible chase scenes into his films. The scenes go on too long, and the characters perform stunts that are completely ridiculous, even in Tintin's world. The Morocco chase scene that everyone is talking about just went on and on and on, with weightless CG characters bouncing along like pin balls. One chase scene inexplicably had a tank appear, dragging a stucco building along with it. Not sure what that was about.

Overall: It was a crushing disappointment. It played like a Tintin- flavoured pulp action flick set in the 1930s. So, should you go see this? I have two recommendations for you: 1) If you like Tintin, and hate it when producers make unnecessary changes to good stories when they make a movie, don't pay money to see this in the theater. 2) If you thought the last Indiana Jones film was good, run! don't walk to the theater to see this. I swear, the only missing was the nuclear bomb/fridge stunt.
32 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing like the books, what a disappointment.
jacquescronje28 December 2011
Spielberg ignored the story lines of the book completely and created a messed up hodgepodge of random events that made no sense. Why did Sakharine become the villain? He was an idiot ancillary character in the books, not related to Red Rackham.

No Bird brothers, no trip to go look for the treasure, no Calculus, no personality for Snowy....

The whole thing brought back horrible memories from Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. It just made no sense, Spielberg blew it.

For all Tintin fans, this will be a huge letdown, but for people looking for a standard 'dip your head into the trough' movie.....

Oh well, 2/10 for the CGI.
46 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg Strikes Again
piratecannon26 December 2012
When I learned that Steven Spielberg was tackling the beloved TinTin comic strips so as to make a feature film faithful to the source material, I was admittedly indifferent. I didn't read these particular comics as a kid, and I wasn't a fan of the Polar Express gloss that (I imagined) would lend an unwelcome veneer to what could have been a lively action movie a-la Indiana Jones.

I suppose I owe the venerable director an apology. The Adventures of Tintin thrives on its comic roots (as opposed to being hindered by them), and the seamless transition viewers are treated to finds our not- so-innocent hero—he is carrying a pistol, after all—globe-trotting between some truly spectacular action sequences that are directly reminiscent of Spielberg's actioners of old.

The story we're presented with is a nifty little mixture of what I can only label a Holmes-esque detective story and a whip-crackin' adventure tale that—as many other critics have noted—takes some of its cues directly from Raiders of the Lost Ark. There are times where some of the action is a little too slapstick for my liking, but there's no getting around the fact that Spielberg once again showcases his bravado as a creator of ingenious thrill rides (the sort that, in my humble opinion, are often conspicuously absent in recent Hollywood fare).

Where the movie stumbles is in its decision to have the rosy-cheeked Tintin dole out lessons on alcoholism to a blissfully out-of-touch sea captain who exists for little more than comic relief. In fact, there's a particularly awkward scene where our protagonist barks at his sidekick at the mention of alcohol, only to never revisit the issue (and, in fact, to completely ignore it until said captain symbolically kicks a bottle of whiskey over the side of a slick pier.

This is small potatoes, though, because Tintin soars in almost every other aspect—in fact, one has to wonder if there's much more that Spielberg and company can do to perfect the formula that's made him the blockbuster mogul that he is.

If you're looking for a family movie with some teeth, Tintin is just what the doctor ordered. That's a nice contrast to the usually gooey stuff that crops up during most holiday seasons, isn't it?
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg has done it again!
GTDMAC2 July 2012
It took both Spielberg and Peter Jackson to put this film together and it shows. Two supreme storytellers who's combined efforts are better than the sum of the parts. How often does that happen? I've read tons of reviews of John Carter that talk about how good it is and how it got bad press from the start. John Carter didn't make 370+ million dollars worldwide! (I wish it did but it didn't.) Tintin did. Why? It gave the fans EXACTLY what they wanted. A magnificent adventure! And who better to give it than the two greatest adventure creators of the 21st Century! John Carter would have been MUCH better done as an animated adventure but they wanted to go live and look what happened. These days you need real buildup not just a "who's on the list to be John Carter this year?" kind of attitude. JC didn't have the buildup like Tintin or certainly not like the Avengers and so there was no momentum to carry into seeing the movie. With Tintin everyone was stunned BOTH directors were collaborating and it shows. It's a work of art in every sense of the word. From the magnificent vistas to the hair-raising action sequences this is the state of the art in adventure movies today. Of course, Andy Serkis, Cary Elwes, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, Daniel Craig and Toby Jones wouldn't have it otherwise! and let's give credit to Jamie Bell for the most believable Tintin voice yet! Great job all! The only bad part of all this is that there are certainly Tintin characters the fans would have wanted in the movie but aren't present. Chief among them is Professor Calculus. My hope is this is the first of many Tintin adventures and the dowsing doctor will be appearing in the next film coming soon.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler alert: Spielberg made a very long boring trailer for a video game
jakobtm29 October 2011
It looks and feels like a video game, technical gimmicks and some very looong action sequence.

Sorry to say it, but the story is so thin and the tempo is like watching a hyperactive spoiled kid, trying to make a movie on fast forward mode.

Spielberg got the power in the industry, but has become the spoiled child, nobody dares to tell when his ideas is counterproductive for the "good story" .

Jurassic park was magic, with CGI-effects the right places.

Spielbergs Tintin is a CGI-nightmare on steroids, drained for soul and story.
57 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't like cocaine, just the way it smells
tieman649 December 2013
Guaranteed to bring you to arousal, if you're sexually attracted to crap, "The Adventures of Tintin" is an animated adventure by director Steven Spielberg. The film was based on a series of graphic novels by cartoonist Georges Remi.

Remi's strip-cartoons revolved around Tintin and Snowy, a young adventurer and his trusty canine. Billed as "movies on paper", they offered complex (for their time) plots, an impeccable sense of pace and were renowned for their "ligne claire" style, which utilised uncluttered panels, no hatching and bold, clean imagery. This style would go on to influence everyone from Warhol to Lichtenstein to Chris Ware.

In almost every respect, Spielberg's "Tintin" is the opposite of Remi's. Whereas Remi's aesthetic is minimalist, Spielberg's is one of excess. He opens with an over-long title sequence, for example, and uses a roving, constantly moving camera which simply can't compete with the elegant, locked down compositions of Remi. And where Remi's characters and landscapes were beautifully abstract, Spielberg has opted for a wholly awful aesthetic, with photo-realistic locales and creepy, pseudo-realistic characters. It's uncanny valley hell, especially if you're familiar with the real-life actors upon which Spielberg's heroes and villains are derived.

Epitomizing Spielberg's obsession with excess is the motion capture technology used to animate "Tintin's" characters. Such technology allows computer models to replicate even the minutest of expressions as they occur in real-time on live actors. But every cartoonist knows that less is often more. Remi conveyed more with a simple black dot than Spielberg's army of microprocessors and virtual muscles. Like "Avatar", Spielberg's "Tintin" is art for technology fetishists. Those who fall for the latest product roll-outs and believe that technological objects are empowered by dint of their intrinsic properties.

"Tintin" takes 24 slow minutes to get to its first action sequence. Here a realistic looking dog in a realistic looking town does cartoonish, unrealistic looking things. It's a tasteless juxtaposition. Compare to Disney's action-pups in "Bolt". Compare too to Yuri Norshteyn's many primitively designed, yet wonderfully animated animals.

"Tintin" then enters its best segment, our heroes battling villains on an old cargo ship (taken from Remi's "The Crab with the Golden Claws"). From here we progress to a desert town, where Spielberg attempts to dazzle us with an elaborate long take in which Tintin bumbles from mountaintop to coastline. Like all the exposition and action in the feature, this sequence is dull, and pales in comparison to Zemeckis' many recent, similarly conceived sequences ("Beowulf"). Also included are a battle on a pirate ship and a climactic fight in which dockyard cranes spar. The latter sequence is dull, the former shows us two things we've never seen before: ships firing their cannons at one another through the crests of waves, and ships entangled at their masts, swinging wildly like oceanic pendulums.

Old fashioned (they're based on stories almost a century old), "Tintin's" plot needed severe updating for savvy audiences raised on modern animated films. Likely to appeal to those unfamiliar with animated features, Spielberg's tale is predictable, slow, never surprises, and his audience is always ten steps ahead. Worse still, Tintin's an annoying character (why British and Scottish accents?), soulless in the eyes, built by morticians and devoid of personality. Tom McCarthy, Tintinologist and author of "Tintin and the Secret of Literature", would accuse Spielberg of not understanding Remi's creation. "Gauche and anachronistic, Spielberg's adaptation is not just a failure," he'd say, "but an assault on a great body of art so thuggishly moronic as to make one genuinely depressed". "Tintin" made almost four hundred million world wide. Spielberg spent a little over 2 weeks doing hands-on direction.

3/10 – Better recent animated films outside of Pixar, DreamWorks, Disney and Miyazaki: Chomet's "The Illusionist", Lunak's "Alois Nebel", Hosoda's "Summer Wars" and "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", Oshii's "The Sky Crawlers", "From Up on Poppy Hill", Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" and Yeon Sang-ho's "The King of Pigs", arguably the best animated feature of 2011. Worth one viewing.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Interesting but...
Redcitykev16 November 2011
First up I have to admit that as a kid I was never a big fan of Tintin - he was always that strange kid in a comic book from some other place! - so, with no great expectations regarding this film, I approached it with an open mind.

What I discovered was a film that, although visually very interesting, seemed confused and muddled. First off Tintin is, as I understand it, a Belgian boy reporter, so why were all the characters in the early market scene talking in mock cockney al-la Dick Van Dyke and doing deals in pound stirling and why were all the big houses seemingly a mix of North European Chateaux and English Country Houses? Next the story line starts off with an interesting premise - a mystery hidden within a model ship - but soon descends into a flimsy excuse for dashing from one big set piece to another - including a totally bewildering sequence in Morroco with tanks and bazookas etc (were these left over from the war, or is the story line set during WWII? If the later then where were the Nazis? etc), and by the time any real conclusion is reached I felt so exhausted by all the chases, explosions, pirates, opera singers who can shatter glass (like I didn't see that one coming from a mile away!) etc I no longer really cared! And of course there was the now obligatory open end allowing for the inevitable follow up! What so disappointed me about the film was the fact that this came from Spielberg, a past master at such fast paced adventure films. It seemed that he was not certain himself as to which film he was making - an animated version of a world-wide classic series of books or an animated version of Indianna Jones? There were odd little clues littering the film (a tail of a crashed plane in the dessert with a swastika on it, the aforementioned tanks etc) that seemed to suggest the later but the whole enterprise became so muddled that I guess in the end it didn't really matter.

Finally, for all the marvels of the animation this was, for me, a film without soul. The character of Tintin was just a cipher (as I believe he is in the books), Haddock was just a buffoon, the Thompson Twins plan silly and the other characters utterly forgettable! The only character I came away really like was Snowy the dog! For all the hype this is basically, like this years version of The Three Musketeers, a film that may keep the youngster quiet for a couple of hours, but one that made me feel like "ok, watchable but so what"!
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant film, even better in 3D...
BPHprojectionist30 October 2011
As you may know Tin Tin is a very old character and there has been books and TV programs made about his great adventures by his inventor Hergé. This new film has been voted the best animated film and once you've seen this film you'll know why. The film is well paced out and there's never a dull moment in this film. The 3D in this film is spectacular and it's well worth seeing this film in 3D if you can. The film is around 1 hour 47 minutes long and in this time Steven Spielberg manages to squash in a good few adventures into one in this film. This makes it much more exciting and you really get to know how Tin Tin and Captain Haddock were in the old days. As a projectionist, I've seen this film about 6 times now and I still don't get bored watching it. Absolutely brilliant film, I really recommend going to see this film as soon as you can. Hope the review helps your thoughts on the film. Thanks for reading, I'll be making more reviews on the films that I see at my cinema so you can get the latest thoughts from me on the films. Thanks again BPH projectionist
66 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles! Tintin and Haddock make a spectacular debut!
GirishGowda13 November 2011
I still clearly remember the first time I was introduced to Tintin's world. It was the winter of 1997 and I was just an 8-year-old kid who had come home from the hospital after a freak accident. I was supposed to stay in bed for a month. The next day after coming home from work, my mom brought me "The Black Island". I instantly fell in love with the artwork, the soulful story, the endearing nuanced characters and exciting adventures of Tintin. I quite admired Tintin and during the course of the month I devoured all the books in the series. I kept re-reading them till I was 14 or thereabouts and every time I delved into the world of Tintin, it was like an epic adventure. Frankly it didn't matter that I knew what the story was or how it ended. That was the power of Herge's masterful storytelling. Subsequently, I also loved the 1991 TV series which was extremely faithful to the narrative of the books. So, as you can well imagine, I was very excited when I heard that one of the best and one of my most favorite directors, Spielberg was directing its big screen adaptation.

Herge was a fan of Spielberg's early works and had written in a note that - "If anyone can bring Tintin successfully to the screen, it is this young American film director, Steven Spielberg". Almost three decades after Herge's death, his wish has finally been fulfilled. "The Adventures of Tintin", the first big screen adaptation of the world-renowned and beloved classic comic books of the same name has been released all over the world. The animated world of Tintin is amazing to look at; every little scene has been done in great detail and care. This isn't Pixar CG animation, nor Disney's hand-drawn animation. Herge's world is created wonderfully using WETA digital by motion capture technology. The sense of wonder never ceases to exist in this world and the human emotions on the animated characters have never been richer. We can sense Spielberg's love and admiration for the original source material through the almost noir atmosphere of the film and the effort put into the characters to make them as interesting as they are in the books.

PLOT: Our young, well-known reporter Tintin buys a regal model of a three-masted sailing ship, 17th century "The Unicorn", for a good price. But he is then immediately accosted by the sinister Ivanovitch Sakharine and the mysterious figure of Barnaby, who both try to buy the model from Tintin, without success. Tintin does his research on the ship and discovers that Sir Francis Haddock was the sole survivor and captain of the ill-fated ship. Sir Francis' last words were that only a true Haddock would figure out what happened on that last voyage of The Unicorn. He returns home to find his model of the Unicorn stolen. When he breaks into Sakharine's mansion, he uncovers the truth about the existence of other Unicorn models. Along his journey to uncover the truth, he is kidnapped by smugglers. While trying to escape, he teams up with the drunkard, Captain Haddock of the Karabudjan and thus begins the epic adventure of Tintin.

The movie is a combination of three books - "The Crab with the Golden Claws", "The Secret of the Unicorn", "Red Rackham's Treasure". The desert scene is taken from "The Land of Black Gold". While the narrative of the stories remain somewhat the same, the creative liberties taken somehow takes away the essence of what makes the character of Tintin - "TINTIN". I didn't admire him, like I admire the comic character. Due the fact that this movie is being released in 2011 and aimed for a completely new generation of kids and adults who may have never even touched one of Herge's masterpieces, the writers have gone for the quick paced roller-coaster ride form of storytelling. But Spielberg knows that at the center of every great movie, the hearts of the audience must empathize with the characters. He makes one of the most memorable, lovable, animated characters in history with Captain Haddock. Haddock shines over Tintin and it is to be expected since all the three books which were adapted were telling the story of Haddock's ancestors and his origins. While I did enjoy the movie, it was very jarring to see Tintin chasing after the falcon in such an unrealistic way. Herge's Tintin, while being intelligent, courageous and caring, never would have done what Spielberg's Tintin did in that particular sequence. I am not being a purist and blasting it apart. On the contrary, I got over it soon enough and even enjoyed it. Also, its quite refreshing to see that even though it is PG movie, it still showed drunkards, murders and Haddock's swearing. Interpol agents Thompson and Thomson have a small part in the movie and they are hilarious. I was glad they didn't overuse the incompetent, blundering idiots. That made them all the more likable.

The movie ended with the possibility of a sequel. I hear Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) will be bringing "Tintin and Prisoners of the Sun" to the big-screen next. I hope to see many more Tintin movies if it has its heart in the right place like this one did. Die-hard fans of Tintin may not find the movie to be as emotionally engaging as the books, but its an excellent endeavour nonetheless. This is the one of best action-adventure movies of the year. Master filmmaker Spielberg's first foray into into the world of animation and motion capture, "The Adventures of Tintin" is a spectacle to behold and cherish. It may even be nominated for Best Animated Picture next year. Take your kids, friends, family and have a jolly good time at the movies.

34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg+Jackson=Epic
arginnon4 May 2012
As a fan of Hergé's comic book series, Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg and Andy Serkis, this film was a must see for me. And I wasn't disappointed! It was fun, action packed, enjoyable, well made and had a great score by John Williams.

The story's basically a bunch of Tintin comics merged in one epic adventure, but it's mostly based on 'The Secret of the Unicorn' (and possibly the sequel will be 'The Treasure of Red Rackham!) and it has some great little treats for the fan-boys. The motion capture technology really delivered, the characters looked amazing, halfway into the movie I even forgot I was watching animation.

Andy Serkis did a really good job, I loved him as Captain Haddock, who was my favorite character in the comics too. The storyline was great, lot of funny scenes and lines, I had a great time at the movies. I recommend it to those who are familiar with Hergé's series or are fans of Spielberg and Indiana Jones… or just great action-adventure movies in general.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice animation, boring story
judywalker229 December 2011
I knew Tintin from childhood cartoons so I was excited to see the movie version. I was sadly disappointed with this film and I hope Spielberg won't make another. The only reason I gave this film a 4/10 was for the animation. That being said, the computer generated characters were probably great to some but to me they seemed creepy. I story was corny and telegraphed itself to all but the feeble of mind. I wish they had updated the story a little. I also forgot how annoying the two comic relief characters could be. This movie's story was so bad that any small child would be bored to death. Too bad, Tintin had potential but I hope this is the end.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.