Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008) Poster

An Unlikely Film of Soul...
Jay Addison27 October 2008
In this age of super-broad comedies and sexed-up teen films, there comes Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It's all-too-easy to groan at the thought of sitting down to a high school film these days, yet 'Nick & Norah' attempts to make you rethink that. It tries to achieve that so rare of an achievement; it tries to make a genuine and honest teen comedy.

It succeeds.

Michael Cera, that king of adorable dorkiness, stars as Nick, the sole straight member of a queer-rock band. Kat Dennings plays Norah, a rocking rich chick who is just as unattracted to teenage pettiness as the rest of us are. These two meet through a random encounter and together set out to try and find the secret show of the aptly titled rock band Where's Fluffy? They cruise the town like grown adults, yet underneath both are incredibly naive. They argue, fight, flirt, and, yes, fall in love; what makes the film great is how mature and honest a relationship they create. We know from the beginning that it is the destiny of Nick and Norah to get together, yet when they do it is nothing short of soulful. With a wonderfully witty script along for the ride, it's apparent that this is much more than your average teenage comedy. 7/10 stars!

Jay Addison
70 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sweet and silly fun with an indie rock backdrop
lostmyhairbrush4 October 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It's not as raunchy as its teen comedy predecessors, yet not as cloying as the usual chick flick. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist manages to strike up a nice balance between the two with a dash of hipster thrown in there. However don't let the title fool you. It isn't all about the music!

The movie is very character-driven and, fortunately, the cast was strong enough to carry it. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings make one quirky and fun on screen pair. The supporting cast members also shine in their roles. Ari Graynor, for instance, plays one of the most ridiculously likable drunks I've ever seen. The performances delivered by this young cast are really what make this movie.

Overall I enjoyed what I saw and can't wait for the DVD release. You don't have to think too hard about this one. It's a quick glimpse into the NYC music scene, light on the drama, but romantic and funny where it needs to be.

Ah, and, for the record, you don't have to be into the hipster subculture to appreciate this movie. It's definitely an accessible story, whether you've heard of Vampire Weekend or not.
64 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's about the atmosphere...
Jobi144 October 2008
All right. Listen up out there. You could say this is Juno without the baby...or almost as useless and watered down as a straight to DVD movie...but you would be missing the point--not that every movie has to have a point.

N&N is not trying to sell something or be something--it's not even trying to be great...because most love stories that try to be great fail. When you see N&N (and if you're in the mood for a lighthearted enjoyable movie, you should), don't go with an expectation of grandeur or even for the entire thing to be great. Alexis Diziena is as useless in this film as she is anorexic and whorish--her part is almost explicitly sexual. And there are so many subplots that their lives appear at times to be exaggerated. What matters almost seems to be camouflaged by what should be secondary.

The movie succeeds in a number of understated ways, though. Ari Graynor's part is by far the funniest character of the bunch and Ari plays the part extremely well. The gay band Michael Cera is a member of adds a quirky afterthought to his character's back story. And what's most important--the characters Nick and Norah act like slightly more interesting versions of normal people. They have their flaws and their disagreements but they're capable of finding the beauty in each other and their story along the way.

Movies should be about the creation and expansion of a spark of magic--not about giving you exactly what you expect or want. The perfection of the movie lives in its imperfections. The love is in the relationships that are real and what is fake gets left behind in a sketchy area near 10th street (that's not a spoiler). It amplifies grace with its soundtrack and hope with its random culmination of peculiar events over a single-night.

So just let the infinite playlist play and enjoy it already.
117 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sweet Tunes
Joseph Belanger4 October 2008
On one particular night in New York City, an elusive band by the name of Where's Fluffy? have announced a secret concert. The word spreads through the city's underground punk scene faster than it can go out of style and before long, it reaches Nick and Norah. Nick and Norah don't know each other when this news reaches their ears but before the end of the night, they will each find something infinitely more important than Fluffy. NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST is a contemporary romantic comedy that sets itself in an entirely unconventional place and time (can you think of another way to describe a straight romance in the queer punk underground?), but presents itself in a sometimes far too conventional fashion. While it can at times be too cool for school, it is the roughness around its edges that give it an unexpected and genuine warmth. Like any finely balanced playlist, it works its way into your head and your soul.

Nick (Michael Cera) has been down as of late. It seems his fragile heart has been trampled by Tris (Alexis Dziena), a girl so clearly wrong for him but whose physical beauty is apparently capable of diverting people from noticing her lack of a soul. Norah (Kat Dennings) has some trust issues as she naturally assumes that any man interested in her is likely more interested in her connections (her dad is an enormously successful record executive). As a result, both Nick and Norah have withdrawn – not externally as they both still function amongst the other humans but they do so at arm's length. Like sleeping beauties though, they are both awoken from their waking comas by a shared impromptu kiss. Suddenly, worlds they never knew existed have become possibilities and an ordinary evening becomes an adventure. While the twists the evening takes are at times unrealistic, they do give the night and the film a sense of spontaneity that makes the viewer believe that anything can happen.

Peter Sollett is a delicate director. His first feature, RAISING VISTOR VARGAS, in which a group of Hispanic youths in New York's lower east side figure out how to stop playing and how to be themselves instead, was a singular revelation. He created a strong sense of hesitation in face of the unknown and a desire to be something more. He has an ease with creating simple, real spaces that foster intimacy and humble his characters and Nick and Norah are no exception to his treatment. Outside of these two though, the remaining ensemble are little more than comic relief and functional plot progression pieces. They can come across as occasionally transparent and one-dimensional but thankfully never enough to distract from the delightful romance budding at the center of all the chaos. Cera proves his versatility once again by showing that there are hundreds of facets to being an awkward teenager, that awkwardness does not define you but is rather just how who you are can come across. Dennings is his perfect counterpoint; she is sharp and strong, a worthy adversary, but frightened underneath it all, an ideal match. The two are so strongly suited that they transform the sometimes too facile script into something much more mature and meaningful.

NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST made me want to fall in love. It also made me laugh and swoon, delight in the magic of music and believe in the transformative properties of one crazy night. It made me long to be in New York City. It made me wish that I was that young again and that believing in possibilities was that easy to do. It may not be perfect but it is almost better that way, more real. There is something so genuine at the heart of this film that makes it almost impossible not to want for Nick and Norah to realize their potential – a potential that is just as infinite as the playlist they are about to create together.
63 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun romp through New York's night-time music scene.
Stefan Ellison6 September 2008
For years, teenagers have connected with one another through music and the discovery of new and different bands. Even though technology has allowed music to be more widespread and portable, there is still the thrill of late-night adventures seeking live performances from favourite bands. In Peter Sollett's Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, he brings this out on screen in a fun manner that shows you do not necessarily need crude humour or death-defying encounters to make a night out with friends an interesting and worth telling story. Throughout the film, the audience becomes more enriched by the characters and their ideas. Nick and Norah could have easily become a smug "teenagers rule over all" tale like this year's Charlie Bartlett, but is instead is a sweet romance between two individuals that most people can easily relate to.

Nick (Michael Cera) is the guitarist for a queercore band with his two friends Dev and Thom (Rafi Gavron and Aaron Yoo). He is currently grieving over the separation between his former girlfriend Tris (Alexis Dziena), but decides to join his friends for a performance out in New York City. In an act of desperation, he encounters Norah (Kat Dennings), who asks Nick to be his boyfriend for five minutes. After her drunken friend Caroline (Ari Graynor) runs off into the city, Nick and Norah along with his friends scour the city in search of her. Meanwhile, Tris is decides to go after Nick to find out if it truly is over between them.

One of the key successes of this film lies with the ensemble cast of talented young actors. Adults are barely featured in this film, as the teenage characters are given the overall spotlight here and Peter Sollett has hired some very good actors to play these parts. Michael Cera is still playing the awkward individual he has been doing since Arrested Development, but he still grows into the part well, as his character is not quite as nervous as previous roles. He proves to be likable and relatable in the part and his chemistry with the other actors comes off very well. Kat Dennings surpasses him, though, giving Norah a sarcastic wit and coming off as very easy to relate to. The way Nick and Norah progress throughout the film is handled very well by Cera and Dennings. Ari Graynor deserves some acclaim for her wacky, but still nuanced performance as Caroline. She is given the bulk of "stunts" in this film, particularly when sharing the screen with a piece of gum that ends up becoming a separate character by itself. Aaron Yoo, Rafi Gavron and Jonathan B Wright allow their best friend roles to become more than just simple stereotypes as they prove just as likable as the leads. Jay Baruchel also does a fine job in a small role that is definitely very far from the meek actor he played in last summer's Tropic Thunder.

Credit should also go to first-time screenwriter Lorene Scafaria, adapting the original source material by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. She writes a funny and intelligent script with well-developed characters who evolve effectively and realistically as the film goes on. She also does not go the Adventures in Babysitting route by showing New York after hours as a grungy underworld, instead opting for a more light-weight approach to the material. She understands the independent musical scene of the Big Apple and she portrays it effectively throughout the course of the film. Director Peter Sollett and Cinematographer Tom Richmond also do well in lighting the city and allowing it to breathe. Even though the large majority of Nick and Norah takes place at night, there is still plenty of light that shines through, particularly in showing the vast culture. Legendary locations like the New Jersey Turnpike, Times Square and Pennsylvania Station also make appearances to give the film an even more New York feel.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist simply wants to be a fun, breezy ride through New York's music scene and the audience is happy to go along with it. The characters are easy to relate to, the writing is intelligent and the direction is solid. Though there have been plenty of "one night in the city" films, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist manages to stay fresh and original and unique through its running time. Overall, this is definitely one to watch at the evening showing with the buddies.
87 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great night out
Danielle6 October 2008
If they gave an Academy Award for Most Adorable Movie, this would definitely win. I'm NOT a teenager, so I'm certainly NOT the target audience for this movie. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the casting was perfect, the performances were delightful and the music was terrific. What more do you want from any romantic comedy, except for it to be funny and romantic? This qualifies. You're rooting for Nick and Norah, almost from the first frame. And all the supporting characters are wonderful. Also, there are some fun cameos, which gives the movie that Inside Baseball feel that makes it that much more of a hoot. I may even buy the DVD (which makes this a rave review!)
46 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nick and Norah's Passionate Playlist
Chrysanthepop3 February 2009
'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' turned out to be a sweet and cool surprise. I was just expecting another usual teen flick and while the main storyline does follow the formula, its the treatment that appealed. The director really shows that even though there is a physical attraction between the two leads, they also have characteristics that repel each other. But, what really brings these two people closer is their passionate liking for music. Both have the same taste and the best parts of the films are the sequences where the two talk about their favourite songs and singers.

The movie pretty much takes place during an entire night and Sollett's portrayal of night in the city is amusing and exciting. Lighting is cleverly used and the yellow tinted colour adds more excitement into the night. With the exception of that Spice Girls track, I like the soundtrack.

Michael Cera and Kat Dennings suit their parts wonderfully. They maintain a good chemistry (even though their love scene looks a little awkward). Aaron Yu, Rafi Gavron and Jonathan Wright provide some fun comic relief as Nick's friends/bandmembers. Ari Graynor is hilarious.

I like the title of this movie and how the movie stays true to it. It's a charming little film that is perhaps best enjoyed at night.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I have seen Jesus!
aharmas2 November 2008
This is a film that made my day, put a smile on my face, and made me believe in films again. One goes to the movies to be entertained, to see something that doesn't happen everyday, and Hollywood, as of lately, seems to be think there are only two types of good movies: The ones that make a ton of money, or the ones with a "serious" message that end up winning all the awards. Apparently, the other ones aren't good enough, and boy, are they neglecting most of the good stuff.

For starters, this is a joy to watch. It has the same tone of "The Breakfast Club" a whimsical and true recollection of what it is like to be a young person, searching for companionship and understanding, and still not bound by society's adult demands. When the characters interact in the film, there is much fun to be had, even when the practical options are well, more logical. Kids go out, meet, enjoy a good concert, have too much to drink and have consequences to deal with, but it's all lighthearted, and everyone knows it's some sort of imaginary fantasy.

After all, people don't fall in love in seconds, and you don't get to have all your dreams come true overnight, but where else are you going to have a piece of chewing gum with that kind of history? Then there is the chemistry between the two leads, something that is rare in movies nowadays, one that offers you an insight into the working brain of two young people with much more than sex and special effects in the script.

People will talk about this film for a while because it is enjoyable, fresh, and something worth discussing. It has a couple of shocking moments, but they are funny moments, silly stops on the trip that Nick and Nora allows us to become a part of. As they said in '39 "follow the y..." wait a minute, wrong movie, but same ton of fun.
46 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly funny
Kristine10 October 2008
I had a small feeling about Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist that it was going to be a decent hit, with the popularity of Juno, not to compare, but this movie had similarities. This movie has my main pet peeve with the younger generation of today, the people who are the "I heard this band before you did so I have better taste than you do" type of mentality. The independent rock music movies are just not my thing, so I wasn't too excited to see this movie, but when some friends invited me to go see it with them, I had low expectations and actually ended up having a great time watching Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It's honestly one of the better comedies that is out in theaters right now, although I have to admit I feel so dirty watching all these horny teenage girls, I'm a girl, and it just made me feel uncomfortable, this is how teenagers act? Scary; anyways, the story is really fun and gives you a great time laughing.

Nick is having a hard time after his rough break up with super slutty Tris, he continues to mix CD's for her that her fellow student, Norah listens too and enjoys it. By chance Norah meets Nick not knowing that it's Tris's ex and says that he's her boyfriend to show Tris that she's no prude. But when Norah learns that Nick is the ex, Nick also won't shut up about Tris, but they find out throughout the night that maybe they're musical soul mates and can really dig each other's vibe. But in the mean time with their crazy friends, they try to find their favorite band that is hidden in New York.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is definitely worth the look, I would say that it's worth full price. The only thing I have a problem with is our leading man, Michael Cera, this guy is a nice actor, but he hasn't really expanded himself into different roles, he's been playing the same character since Superbad to be honest. But I'm seeing Kat Dennings more and more, I'm enjoying her presence on screen, she's very lovely and has potential. But the person who definitely stole the show was Norah's drunk friend, Caroline played by Ari Graynor, she was just beyond hilarious and stole all the laughs. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is a great new teen comedy, though I really hope teenagers don't act like this... if they do... oh, I'm praying that our future is going to be alright.

30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fails to live up to its promise
Roland E. Zwick19 April 2009
With his roles in mainstream hits such as "Superbad" and "Juno," Michael Cera catapulted himself to the head of the class as the modern-day geek of choice for teen comedies (he's sort of to the 2000s what Molly Ringwald was to the 1980s, a figure average adolescents can relate to). In "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist," Cera continues in that mode, playing a straight member of an otherwise all-gay rock band who can't get over the fact that his pretty but snooty girlfriend, Tris, has dumped him for another guy. One wild night, while in the city with his band mates, the lovesick Nick hooks up with Norah Silverberg, a less pretty but far more authentic girl who attends the same Catholic girls' school as Tris and who discovers, much to her delight, that, in Nick, she may have finally found her "musical soul mate."

With a screenplay by Lorene Scafaria (derived from the novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan) and direction by Peter Sollett, "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" is an amiable but scattered little comedy that never seems to completely find its footing or to come up with any kind of purposeful meaning or direction. Filled with jokes and comic concepts that either don't lead anywhere or that simply fall flat, the movie fails to do justice to its youthful and exuberant cast that includes, in addition to Cera, Kat Dennings, Alexis Dziena, Aaron Yoo, Rafi Gavron, Ari Graynor and Jonathan B. Wright.

The movie does an impressive job not overly stereotyping its gay characters (though a little of that sneaks in anyway), and there are fleeting moments of tenderness and charm as Nick and Nora work on cementing their relationship, but the movie's lack of a clear-cut focus proves yet again that "niceness" alone isn't enough to guarantee a quality movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh.My.God
Evolution_Baby7 February 2009
I LOVE indie comedies,and hell,with a little bit of romance,ever better. Saying that,I found this film AWFUL. There are many many reasons,of which I will now list. 1.Michael Cera-I like him,he's a funny actor,but he is quickly getting typecast...seriously,If I see him play another sweet dorky boy who plays music,I might vomit. 2.There was absolutely NO character development,most of them were unlikeable,especially the main characters.The only saviours were the drunken friend and the camp friends. 3.The plot,the premise was just stupid....it just left me walking out the cinema thinking "who the hell cares" 4.The fact that it was one of the most pretentious films I have EVER seen.It felt as if the writers had simply thought of all "cool" and "alternative" teenage things that they could,and randomly spat them into one film. It just felt contrived. 5.The "non-wit" of the characters. Juno it was not. 6.The fact that the audience is expected to care,and empathise,with two people who have just met, being jealous of each others exes,etc...THEY HAVE JUST MET!! Why would they care,unless they were annoyingly neurotic. 7.It feels like it was written by a child...you know in English where you have to write a story and try to pack EVERYTHING in....This epitomises it....Then they did this,then they did this..then they did thiiiiis....cue marginally exciting ending. 8.The epic love story...seriously....they shag..after meeting a few hours previously,and were expected to think its sweet.Its not.

The film had a few funny lines,but it wasn't enough to save it.
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pass this movie into the dumpster...
friedhippie19 February 2009
This movie has nothing to offer that will make you care about the characters let alone whether or not they find Fluffy. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings had absolutely no chemistry at all. Watching them act side by side was the equivalent of watching a balloon deflate very slowly. I'm all for love at first sight, fate induced romances but this movie really kicked the bucket. The only good thing about the movie is the little drunken blondie roaming around New York. Out of the entire cast I must say that she really showed superior acting skills. I believed she was drunk. Did I believe it was love at first sight for our star crossed indie lovers? About as much as I believe a meteor the size of Texas is coming to end life as we know it.

On a positive note this movie made me realize that Michael Cera needs a good supporting cast in order to make his type casted awkward/shy shtick shine. In Arrested Development and Superbad the outgoing supporting cast allows Cera to have minimal spotlight allowing the viewer to not become bored with the character and at least allowing some comedy to manifest from it....which is what this movie is lacking entirely.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is one of the most sweet teenage romantic comedies of the year
tavm11 November 2008
When I was in Maryland to see my sister's firstborn get baptized, we both decided to see this movie when I was there. This was a nicely cutting edge teenage romantic comedy about two strangers played by Michael Cera and Kat Dennings who find out about their similarities only after their friends accidentally put them together. Cera still is pining for an ex he puts a mixed CD for while Dennings is friends with that ex. Michael's character is also a member of a band whose other members are gay while Kat's character has a girlfriend who likes to drink. And all this happens while Cera and Dennings and their friends ride around New York City all night looking for their favorite indie band. Plenty of sweet and funny (and a little gross) moments abound and while my sister and I might have a little problem with a sex scene with the leads, the romance was good enough to overcome that. So on that note, I recommend Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. P.S. There are cameos of a couple of current SNLers I pleasantly noticed right away...
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow that was annoying
Jake Ray25 December 2008
Well that was pretentious! Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist was one of the most self-obsessed films I have ever seen. We get it- YOU ARE INDIE!! Stop insulting the fans of independent comedies with this bloated self-insistent nonsense. The acting was good, but we expected tat to happen. It was the story that grinds my gears. This may go down as the film that ruins independent comedies for those of us that like decent film-making. The cast and crew need to realize that not every other teen comedy has to be Juno. In fact, that will probably never happen again. Whatever- It is good enough to see, but annoying enough to hate. Think Garden State X 100.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cohn & Levithan will have a LOT of upset fans...
kelseykaboomx34 October 2008
Because this movie was absolutely nothing like the book. The plot was completely changed, the relationship between the main characters was flipped, and the whole story just played out WRONG. The casting choices, in my opinion, could have been better. I am a huge fan of the novel, and I was really disappointed.

And, to yessdanc's comment, if THEY knew anything, they'd know that the screenwriter did not choose the character's names; Rachel Cohn and David Levithan did. If you read Cohn's website, you'd learn that she intentionally chose the names of the characters to pay tribute to the movie.

"I wanted to write about two New Jersey, straight-edge characters named Nick and Norah (after the Thin Man movies)..." "...we weren't trying to write an updated Thin Man (though the temptation to put a dog named Asta in our book was certainly there). Mostly what we both always liked from the original books/movies was the warm and fun banter between Nick & Nora Charles, and we hoped to somehow infuse that spirit into our teen characters."
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Infinite" Digress
Jonny_Numb4 March 2009
From the slickly-animated opening titles to the hipster-jukebox soundtrack selections to the casting of Michael Cera as the neurotic hipster-kid who just can't let go of his manipulative bitch of an ex-girlfriend, "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" sets out to be the "Juno" of 2008, but falls short of entertainment...and substance. While overrated (particularly in Roger Ebert's glowing review), the latter film was a tricky balancing act of aching-to-be-hip dialog and seemingly loose characterization that, surprisingly, worked its way inside-out to leave an endearing, heartfelt impression; the energetic and caustic lead performance by Ellen Page didn't hurt, either. While "Nick and Norah" pines for the same audience (and will likely get it), its shallow story (two star-crossed, would-be lovers exchange missed signals under the New York City skyline over a night-long search for a show by underground rockers Where's Fluffy) is all about pretty faces and surface qualities; the cast is attractive, but the characters never feel more than two-dimensional (and some are simply grating), and most attempts to elicit an emotional response from the audience come from dishonest manipulation (preferably by some swelling, low-key ballad on the soundtrack). That Nick (Cera) and Norah (Kat Dennings), the star-crossed, would-be lovers in question, hook up by night's end goes without saying; it's the artificial roadblocks that stand in their way that make the film tedious amid some genuine laughter and emotion. It's not bad, but certainly not inspired, especially standing in a shadow as immense as "Juno."

5.5 out of 10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uninteresting characters make for a snooze-fest
Foux_du_Fafa27 January 2010
Having liked "Juno", I thought that I would like "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" since it had many attributes similar to that little winner: quirky teens, a protagonist played by Michael Cera, a setting in the North-East of America and a prominent use of indie-music. However, things don't always turn out how we expect, and it actually transpired that I disliked this film. It runs for around 90 minutes, but it really did feel ten times longer than that. I kept on looking at the timer on my DVD player to see how long was left, and there were numerous points when I felt that I ought to simply turn it off altogether and give it up.

The problem is mainly to do with the fact that the characters just aren't all that interesting and are hard to sympathise with; Nick, Norah, and their friends, are essentially anxious and/or lazy teens. Their worries don't really seem all that sincere and it's easy to lose interest in them. Norah's drunken friend, the obvious comic-relief figure, is also just not all that amusing. Perhaps if I were a few years younger and still felt like a breakup or a friend's homosexuality were major dramatic events worthy of international media coverage, then I would feel differently. But I think that to anyone over the age of 17, these characters and their misadventures would seem bland.

The film, I should mention, takes place over the course of a night, and ends at around 5 or 6 in the morning. I became so bored, however, that I kept on posing myself the question: wouldn't all these people just want to go to bed by this point? Obviously I'm simply becoming middle-aged in my early 20s.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
John Hughes Meets Kevin Smith And Wow! - One of the better date movies ever---
intelearts25 January 2009
I've seen a ton of romantic comedies, some are good, some are awful; very few are really really good....

You guessed it... wow! Did we love this: smart, dippy, cutting, funny in all shades of funny, sweet romantic with a down low low-fi edge, up to date and even occasionally over the top this was far and away our favorite romantic comedy of the year and I'm giving it a solid ten in its genre.

Need to go on a date movie? This is your bucket of chicken - I promise you'll leave feeling lighter and curly wurly.

Very well directed by Peter Sollett it really brings an affection to its making and he's a name to look out for if you ask us...

All in all kind of our bag through and through... go see...
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nick & Nora 's Infinitely Boring Movie
Danielle3121 April 2009
When I saw this movie, I wasn't expecting it to be Oscar winning material, but thought it would be at least mildly entertaining and would have a good storyline. The trailer seemed slightly promising. In the beginning of the movie, when it was shown that Nick has a passion for music and constantly burns CD's of his favorite songs in order to woo his beautiful but very young looking ex-girlfriend Tris, I mistakenly assumed it had the potential to be a good film. You see, I was the mix tape queen in high school. And like Nick, I would send mix tapes to my boyfriend (now husband), including decorating the cases, all the time. But unfortunately, the movie went down hill from there.

This isn't the worst film I've ever seen, but it's definitely the most boring. Why, you ask? There are many reasons--the main one being that the main characters Nick and Nora are both very vanilla. They're nice kids, but I wasn't given enough info and back story to want to sympathize with them and care about their lives and their blossoming relationship. Also, the actors' who play Nick and Nora have absolutely no chemistry together. I believed they liked each other, but didn't believe it was the hip version of 'Romeo and Julliet' the movie was making it out to be. It was more like a one night stand at best. Also, the movie itself tried too hard to be artsy and cool, and utterly failed at it. Instead, it was more like a gross-out teen comedy minus the comedy and double the grossness. Beyond making me want to lose my lunch, I found it to be very very dull. The entire movie involves Nick, Nora and their friends going to various venues in NYC to find their favorite band, Where's Fluffy. Yep, that's it. Honestly, I think I've seen more interesting things take place on C-Span in the same 90 minutes.

Also, the movie is extremely unrealistic. There is no way in real life Nick would be able to date anyone like Tris or Nora. He's very average looking, working class & acts kind of nerdy. Perhaps being in a rock band would give him that extra charisma needed to attract very rich hotties, or maybe he's just good in bed and word got around. It's slightly possible but still it's not enough to be believable. Also, these kids are 18, 19 at the oldest (all are still in high school), how are they able to roam about NYC club hopping at ungodly hours? Don't you have to be 21 to get into these clubs? And all their parents are okay with this? (I know a few parents are like this but most aren't) So, I suppose that it's not only a 'comedy' but a 'fantasy' too.

Maybe if you're 13, you'd like this movie because it seems 'cool'--that is, if you're an immature 13 year old. If you're over that age, and especially if you're an old fart like me, who saw 'Sixteen Candles' and 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' at the movies, you are not going to like this film, trust me on this.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Remember that One Day You Were a Teenager and You May Enjoy this Teen Romance
Claudio Carvalho18 August 2011
In New Jersey, the straight high school student Nick (Michael Cera) plays guitar in the gay band Jerk Offs with his gay friends Thom (Aaron Yoo) and Dev (Rafi Gavron). Nick misses his sweetheart, the bitch Tris (Alexis Dziena) that despises the CDs he gives to her. The teenager Norah (Kat Dennings) that studies in the Sacred Heart school with her best friend Caroline (Ari Graynor) and Tris, has never had a boyfriend and does not know Nick but loves his musical taste, and collects the CDs that Tris throws in the garbage.

In the weekend, Norah and Caroline hang around to see the concert of the Where's Fluffy band and they meet Tris dating Gary (Zachary Booth). Meanwhile, Nick drives his old Yugo to meet Thom, Dev and his boyfriend Lethario (Jonathan B. Wright) and play in the same club where Norah, Caroline and Tris are. Tris gibes the lonely Norah and she asks Nick to be her boyfriend for five minutes without knowing that he was the ex to Tris.

When the alcoholic Caroline is completely wasted, Thom and Dev offer to take her back home and ask Norah to date the brokenhearted Nick. Along the night, they learn that they are soul mates.

"Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" is a typical teen romance for teens. However, it is possible to an older guy like me enjoy this forgettable film. It is just necessary to remember that one day you were a teenager and you may enjoy this teen romance. The characters are very charismatic and it is only hard to believe that a pretty and cool girl like Kat Dennings does not have a boyfriend. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Nick & Norah - Uma Noite de Amor e Música" ("Nick & Norah – A Night of Love and Song")
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful movie - had me hoping it would be better
andrewpoe31 March 2009
I had high hopes for this movie -- the starting intro with Chris Bell's "Speed Of Sound" made me think this would be indie rock's High Fidelity in New York music scene. Nick and Norah would talk about which album was better -- The Replacements' Let It Be or Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime? Which is the better Belle & Sebastian album? It would keep music junkies into the movie and make the characters more likable.

Instead, it became a very gross and stupid comedy that was vaguely about music. The bands weren't real and neither were the characters. I couldn't even tell why I should like the characters at all in the movie. Norah's dim-witted friend vomiting in a train station bathroom then getting her piece of gum out of the toilet was purely for shock value and was like most of the movie. Pointless and rather disappointing.

Honestly, if the movie consisted of mixtapes being traded back and forth and Nick and Norah not aware of each other would have been a more compelling movie.
I think you need to be under 25 to enjoy this movie
gelman@attglobal.net27 February 2009
Michael Cera plays pretty much the same character he played in Juno -- and that's pleasant enough. Kat Dennings is okay as his new love interest, and Alexis Dziena is plain awful as his old flame. But maybe that's what the script called for. Who knows? I'm in the wrong age demographic for a peripatetic, all night high school chase from night spot to night spot in search of a particular band that the kids all love. And the music, for me, held zero appeal. Still the premise is mildly interesting and Cera, though reprising Juno, is again rather charming. If this movie is supposed to be in the same league with Juno, however, it flunks calculus; hell, it flunks arithmetic. It's neither sweet (in fact, with the passed-out drunk girl who is Kat Dennings' pal, it's rather disgusting in part), nor is it in any way compelling. I'll go again with mildly interesting for adults. Perhaps another demographic will find it wildly funny and love the music.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teens will appreciate it, but it is doubtful anyone else will
DonFishies8 October 2008
Nick (Michael Cera) is a bit of a mope, being freshly dumped by the girl of his dreams, Tris (Alexis Dziena), and is the only straight guy in an all gay band called 'The Jerkoffs'. Norah (Kat Dennings) is one of those lonely souls, searching for the right person and pines after the Tris' stalkerish ex, who she has never met. By chance, they meet at a club the band is playing at, and then begin a night's adventure searching for a secret concert being put on by their favourite band, Where's Fluffy.

It may not sound like much on paper, but after seeing the trailer for Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I was kind of hoping for something that would be more than your typical teen flick. And with Cera coming fresh off Superbad and Juno, I could have only hoped that my own hopes would not go unanswered.

Of course, I may have been expecting too much. From the moment the movie starts, it is clearly aiming itself directly for a young teen audience. Yes, the whole idea of being able to search for this mythical band until all hours of the night seems like a bit of a stretch for a normal teen with curfews, but the immature and inexperienced attitude it took about relationships, life and hard drinking seem heavily seated in the realm of a young teenager's fantasies. This is the type of movie I would have been hard pressed to not have enjoyed five or ten years ago, and I imagine most young people feel the same way.

But looking at it as an adult, the film only makes me feel older. It has a very nostalgic aura about it, and a type of innocence that only a person in high school could appreciate. It lacks the real world implications of Juno (or even Dennings' own turn in The 40-Year-Old Virgin), and lacks the all around appeal of Superbad, or even seminal teen flicks like The Breakfast Club or Rebel Without a Cause. So how can one who has experienced the life of a teen, appreciate it when they have moved past that stage in life? Should it not have even made a sheer attempt at being able to be accessed by more than one demographic?

One problem it has is a lack of focus. In 90 minutes, the filmmakers seem to want to throw every sort of issue a 17-year-old might face, from sex, to making adult decisions, to relationships, to understanding life, into a subplot for the main characters to face. And unfortunately, these two characters are not written in a way that makes them able to deal with all of these things. Yes, the dialogue between the two is incredibly awkward, but both Cera and Dennings seem quite able to play it into something that still sounds natural. But this comes at the expense of never quite understanding the full motivations of either character, and merely having a small idea of where either is coming from. Sure, there are glimmers of issues either faces (Dennings' Norah seems to have an orgasm problem, in one very out-of-place subplot), but never more than a hint. By the end of the film, I was still attempting to totally grasp how these two lost souls managed to find each other in the first place (other than for the sake of a fantastical teen romance).

What is worse is that the supporting characters have a bad habit of getting in the way of the two main characters' story. There is an ongoing bit about trying to find Norah's drunk friend Caroline (Ari Graynor), but every scene she has just seems forced and merely placed as a means of padding out a movie that feels too long already. Much the same goes for Nick's gay bandmates Thom (Aaron Yoo) and Dev (Rafi Gavron). Sure they get the most poignant and hilarious moments in the film (alongside their gay friend who is credited merely as "Beefy Guy", and is played by Jonathan B. Wright), but their importance to the film seems a bit skewed. Taking away the fact that their being gay feels more like a gimmick than anything else, all three just seem to have little bearing on the film's events other than to drop hints of wisdom and help search for Caroline and Where's Fluffy. Jay Baruchel, fresh from Tropic Thunder, does okay in a small role as Norah's on and off boyfriend, but he does not get nearly enough screen time to make an impression.

It seems the only person who is right on the money is Dziena. She plays the manipulative and spoiled ex-girlfriend to great effect, and seems to be the only person who wants to be taken seriously by all the non-teens watching the movie. She takes great pleasure inflicting pain on Nick, and her brazen control-freak chemistry with Cera is a particular joy to watch. Sure Cera basically ends up playing the same shay and nervously introverted character he became famous for last year, but Dziena's extroverted, over-the-top performance contrasts it so well that Cera almost comes off as being better than he actually is here.

I think with a little more focus on appealing to all ages instead of just teens, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist could have truly soared as a film. As it stands, it has the makings of a good movie, but not the proper creative output. More development on the main characters, and less scenes with the supporting ones could have only helped make this film great. At least it packs a hell of a good soundtrack.

6/10.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
trash
mayonaissesandwich20 May 2009
No wonder the kids of this world are so screwed up. You portray this supposed fun life that looks pretty empty to me. And isn't sex thrown in kids faces enough? The orgasm scene was totally unneeded, and made the girl out to look cheap. And the gay guys carrying bras around.?! Do they do this? This crap I wish I could have printed on soft paper so I could wipe then flush it. Pure dee trash.

This girl was pretty good in 40 year old virgin and Michael Cera has been good in everything I have seen him in..superbad, juno...and he wasn't bad in this movie it was the material that was bad.

I know that there has to better movies out there waiting to be made. This can't be all there is to choose from. And I heard all these raves about how funny the drunk girl was in here, i say it was a pathetic ploy to encourage underage drinking. Somebody help us!!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
TIFF 08: Where's Fluffy? Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
jaredmobarak8 September 2008
What do you get when you cast Michael Cera as an awkward late-teen/quasi-geek; a sassy, smart, attractive girl who is a better catch then she thinks; a killer Indie soundtrack; and comedic side characters that deliver the goods? Juno? Not quite. What we get is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, which debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival. It is a real good time; maybe not as fresh or original as one would hope, the laughs are there and the story is enough to hold your attention. Taking place during the course of one night in New York City, searching for an elusive band's secret gig, two lost souls find each other and discover what love is despite the preconceptions they had before meeting. Reminiscent to me of Adventures in Babysitting—the journey's detours and mood, not the story—Sollett enhances the based-on-a-book script with songs on "five star" rotation from his iPod, (he told us after the screening, it's true), and some great work with his actors to stay realistic and keep all that awkwardness of adolescence intact as these young kids open up and find out who they really are.

It's an interesting twist on a common premise—guy gets dumped by girl and makes a series of "break-up" mixes, leaving them at her door, complete with handmade packaging. The egotistical brat ex-girlfriend Tris is, each disc is carefully discarded only after showing how sad Nick is losing such a great girl as she. Enter fringe outcast Norah to scoop up the discs and discover how their maker has her exact taste in music and may be her soulmate, without even knowing who he is. That set-up can only lead to a chance encounter at said sadsack's next gig with his band, completed by his two gay friends on vocals and guitar. Norah sees Nick onstage, has a connection to him and eventually cons her way into using him as a fake boyfriend to prove she isn't a loser to Tris. Only she doesn't know that he is her Nick—oh the battle is on as the trio discovers the relationship each has with the other and both girls embark on a journey to win the geek over. Wow, if only real life could be this good for the nerdy sadsacks … only in Hollywood.

While Nick and Norah slowly open their eyes to each other and see how compatible they are and Tris journeys on her mission to grab her ex back, (no way can he go from her to Norah), we also follow Caroline's drunken stupor through the city. Known to have specific places to throw-up in, Norah enlists Nick's bandmates to help her find the lost and clueless friend while also hoping to uncover Where's Fluffy?'s concert location. Our cast of characters here meet up with some interesting creatures. Sollett spoke how he tried to get each locale to be that from the book, actual East Village/Lower East Side haunts he himself frequents. They all needed authenticity in detail and therefore needed waitresses of equal loathing and bands that would actual play there. The look and feel are definitely genuine and help give us, as an audience, the ability to believe it all despite the conveniently contrived plot progressions utilized.

The supporting characters we meet are usually a lot of fun, especially cameos from Kevin Corrigan, (he does wonders without even uttering a word), and Andy Samberg, (a riot as a homeless man Cera's Nick stumbles upon at a church around 3am). Sollett spoke of Samberg's willingness to improv and the multiple takes filmed. His favorite alternate take was hilarious and probably better than what was used, but this is a film trying to get a PG-13 rating, so all you out there will have to wait for the DVD to hopefully see a gag reel. I really hope it gets on there because I'd love to see Cera's reaction to the raunchy exchange. The larger cameos, those of friends on screen often, are very effective as well. Aaron Yoo and Rafi Gavron are fantastic as Cera's bandmates/best friends, trying to show him that Norah is the girl he wants, not Tris, while also just having a good time being themselves … never pushing the gay comedy far enough into stereotypical drivel. Ari Graynor is wonderful as Caroline, inebriated throughout, she brings some big laughs and a few cringes, especially when playing off her wad of chewing gum, a character worthy of credit itself.

The true winner of the film, though, besides the amazing soundtrack of people you will probably start hearing about with their next albums as the mainstream moves to include them, is Norah herself, Kat Dennings. This girl is perfect for the role. She is cute in a humble, "I don't think I am" kind of way, with a biting wit and sarcastic defenses. She is the kind of girl you would fight for, but also the one that will not make it easy for you to win. Intellectual and unassuming, she shies away from her father's fame—you should figure out his job early on, but I don't want to be the one to ruin the reveal—and attempts to be original, much like Juno and even Jaye from TV-show "Wonderfalls". Her exchanges with Cera are always endearingly funny, if not laugh out loud—love when she drives his car—and while the awkwardness gets overplayed, ruining some of the chemistry, you do want to see them get together in the end. Not because you know they probably will, but because you agree with Yoo and Gavron, she is the one for Nick and nothing should stand in the way. Oh, the power of music, Sollett has something with his idea to use breakup tapes as unknowing relationship builders. It may not be as good as those it tries to copy, but it definitely deserves a place snuggly next to them.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this