Boardwalk Empire (TV Series 2010–2014) Poster

(2010–2014)

Don't Miss It!
Supermanfan-1311 November 2020
Boardwalk Empire is absolutely, without a doubt one the best gangster shows ever created. Every season is as addictive as the last. Steve Buscemi leads an amazing cast as he gives one of the best performances ever put on tv! This is tv at its best so don't miss it!
58 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific!!
DiCaprioFan1328 September 2022
Boardwalk Empire is absolutely, without a doubt one the best gangster shows ever created. It tells the story of Atlantic City politician/gangster, Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (Steve Buscemi), and how he runs the town both legally and criminally. He runs it with his brother Elias (Shea Whigham), who is also the Sheriff, and their gang of tough guys. It takes place during prohibition and Nucky is the #1 distributor of illegal alcohol. He does this while doing business with some of the most notorious gangsters in American history like Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Jim Colosimo, Arnold Rothstein, among others. Every season is as addictive as the last. Steve Buscemi leads an incredible cast as he gives one of the best performances ever put on tv. This is tv at its best so don't miss it!
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bullets and heads will role
Clive_W24 December 2020
This show has to be one of my personal favourites, I would always recommend people to check out. In terms of the show itself, you've got an awesome cast of great actors, with some the most beautiful cinematography, and hands down the story is just fantastic. You've got historical true elements mixed of course with fictional aspects, more so on the fictional side but it's just amazing to see these actors play out some the most iconic historic mobsters, Stephen Graham as Al Capone is just amazing, one my top favourite actors to see on screen. And ultimately one the best endings to a show, with no spoilers the story comes full circle, with a satisfying end.
50 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My 347th Review: ...this is as good as TV gets....
intelearts4 November 2010
With production values that are mind-boggling, cast, and a budget to die for HBO is now what film studios were in the 1930s, they have the clout and the ability to go way further than most films can - and you get episode after episode.

the detailing is beyond accurate and lavish - every stitch, every furnishing, every telegraph wire looks and feels authentic and it is all shot and lit to the highest standards of film not TV.

The story of prohibition and Atlantic City is fully detailed, complex, with Steve Buscemi heading up a great cast. I have a gripe that the F-word was not ubiquitous at the time and strikes a jarring note in an otherwise near perfect production.

Where this shines is in the details - I just hope the story lines and acting live up to the promise - they certainly have so far.
131 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece !
dogonlion16 August 2020
The writing, acting, music, historical events. It's all there. Then you have Martin Scorsese involved, so what can go wrong?
35 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant from top to bottom.
rukstar698 November 2020
This show is amazing all around such great acting and story line. It's one of those shows that needs time to set things up so if it seems slow and confusing at first try and stick it out. I love seeing all these big time crime syndicates come up and thru the ranks. The way they can transform a set back 100 years with such precision and accuracy is astounding to me. Sopranos is my favorite show ever and you'll see a lot of these actors and actresses in this series.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
ben-mckimm16 July 2022
It was nearly perfect. I feel like the final season was a little unnecessary but they made it work. Richard Harrow is probably my favourite character from anything ever and I know they think they used him just enough but they could have featured him just a little more.

I feel sorry for everyone who says they stopped watching after season 2.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a show! 🎥
oscarjneklund3 July 2022
This show, wow! High quality, old history environment at it's finest. Steve Buscemi has to be one of the greatest actors of all time, he really knows how to get into character. 🇺🇲
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply ... WOW!
85122222 September 2010
Greetings from Lithuania.

What a wonderful pilot!

First i read some reviews before watching pilot, and they where saying how "boooring" this episode was. Hell no! That was one of the best pilots in a ... ever! When you have screenwriter of "Sopranos" and Mr. M.Scorsese in a director chair - nothing can go wrong! A pilot of "Boardwalk Empire" reminded my of "Goodfellas", "Sopranos" (i read that behind this show is a writer of "Sopranos" after watching pilot) and ... "Departed" - it's was THAT good.

If this show will live up to the pilot - we have a new Emmy winner in all possible categories.

Watch it and don't wary about negative reviews - this is a really great show.
169 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts off great, interesting ending
soulfx-17 August 2021
Starts off great as you learn about the corruption spreading as prohibition takes off. It's a story of morality and it doesn't have a happy ending.

You're reminded this an HBO show that loosely follows real life historical figures through the rise of organized crime and the forces trying to stop them.

The later seasons start to get a bit tired and boring, but it has a strong ending.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing show, almost like a prequel to Sopranos. But where's the Capone sequel series?
ColtPython8211 August 2022
I love Boardwalk Empire, it's like a Soprano's mafia origin story. But a lingering question I've always had is why didn't they make a Boardwalk Empire sequel series starring Capone, Meyer, and Lucky? The show set up a new series perfectly with the introduction of these characters and a sequel show set in Chicago would've been amazing. Actually the actors who played them are the perfect age now to play these historical characters, so hopefully the show runners give it a thought.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding
luckeyburrows8 March 2022
This is is definitely worth watching. From the year 1920 to 1931 this classic gangster show and it's music and the character Richard Harrow is one of the best ones I've ever seen. I highly recommend you watch this, from the writer of The Sopranos.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can't be half a gangster
meeTarantino18 April 2021
You know it is going to be good when it is produced by Martin Scorcese and starred by Steve Buscemi.

The directing and writting are incredible, it never looses quality and you know that no matter who gets wacked it never fills like something is missing.

It isn't as good as The Sopranos, though. Both shows have their slow moments/episodes, but the comic side of The Sopranos and the funny acting of James Gandolfini makes the show more entertaining.

Still, another incredible success from HBO.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1920s gangsters at their best
robalexhawk25 May 2020
At first when I started this series, I thought it would be just another typical gangster TV show with not much of a plot or well developed characters. However, season 3 onward, the show really grew on me.

The overall story arcs I found really engaging and interesting. You weren't just watching one gangster shoot another gangster, you were watching characters you cared about get into interesting and varied predicaments. Though each season was often slow at the start, though I didn't mind this personally, the way they built up to the finales was fantastic, not a single one disappointed.

The characters were also really well developed. Again unlike your typical gangster flick, where you like the characters because of the stealing and murdering and racketeering they get into, in Boardwalk Empire you actually get the sense that the mob bosses are real people with real motivations. This is best seen in Nucky Thomson but also with others, though in Al Capone's case I found he got crueller, nastier and less humorous as the seasons went by.

The setting and cinematography was also great, helped by the show's choice of music. Previously, I'd never thought of Atlantic City as much of a place, being an Englishman, but by the end I felt like I had gotten to no and love it. Overall, a great TV show which I would think is suited to quite a wide audience, not gangster film fans.
42 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal
swyatt-457046 December 2019
Terrific from start to finish. Can't say enough about how entertaining this show is.
69 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TV's best drama that's compelling and informative it shows the early days of America's Playground as it ran with politics, corruption, greed and power struggle!
blanbrn9 November 2010
HBO has once again done it, they are simply the best at putting out provocative, and compelling interesting original series and this time period piece drama "Boardwalk Empire" is clearly a big knockout winner. It's filled with enough drama, intrigue, suspense and complex emotions to make a viewer hooked and addicted to me it's like an early version of "The Sopranos" as producer and creator Terence Winter does a crafty and great job with this new work just the way he did when he wrote for "The Sopranos".

As long before the days of slot machines, Donald Trump, Chinese massage places, street walking hookers, and rundown buildings this period piece shows the real and early days of Atlantic City. Set in 1920's Atlantic City, NJ when Prohibition has just gone into effect this series shows how the city's kings became outlaws. Dealing with the real life Nucky Johnson, yet the series changes the name to Nucky Thompson(played brilliant by veteran Steve Buscemi)who is A.C.'s treasurer and as with any central character Nucky is a complex man. He's a good politician standing for what he believes in, still he's quickly amoral by doing favors and bribes overseeing criminal enterprises and money from booze that's imported with the help of his brother the sheriff. Still Nucky has a soft heart for people in need especially for that of a local lady Margaret Schroeder(played wonderful by Kelly MacDonald)who captures Nucky's fancy with her loving care, a big difference from the hot steamy passion that Nucky has with hot spirited flame Lucy(Paz De la Huerta).

Aside from that a good supporting turn for the series and Nucky is that of hot young buck sidekick and want to be leader Jimmy Darmody(Michael Pitt)who's an aggressive loose cannon kick butt kind of guy. As he skates in the business of battling rivals while trying to impress Nucky with scores and he even brushes in business for Nucky in Chicago and New York as this series even shows the early start of legends Al Capone and Lucky Luciano. As Jimmy's the great wild card of the series a hot headed war war I vet who couldn't be tamed at home by his sexy wife Angela(Aleksa Palladino)as this boy is just a little complex from having a showgirl for a mom Gillian(Gretchen Mol).

And with any early mob drama it's only fitting to have a good guy trying to sort out the mess and bring corruption down well enter federal agent Nelson Van Alden(played with toughness and zeal from Michael Shannon)an intense by the book lawman who's determined as it's always interesting to watch him follow Nucky's dealings and travels.

Overall this now is the best show on TV and only the best in the business HBO could have done it. "Boardwalk Empire" shows the roaring twenties as vibrant and classic meanwhile the life of this place is a violent underworld that had to be in a time of social prosperity and progress that was upstaged by corruption and booze debauchery in the Prohibition era. It's such a historical drama that it's educational really as it shows with it's central character Nucky Thompson life is complex and always temptation will override playing by the book as easy money is the way to live, still when dealing with money, booze, and sex it's tough and violent. Still "Boardwalk Empire" does all of this in such a classic way that's exciting and exhilarating as it's dazzling make it a must see for yourself and toast up and drink up to this it should last a little bit.
54 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant crime story filled with flare, emotion, and memorable characters.
wwe79616 December 2010
I am not a big TV lover. Mostly I watch South Park, but this show has gotten me interested in more live-action shows. It tells its stories with the same quality as a normal theater film for each episode making it feel like a massive crime drama experience. I have been waiting for a while now to review it, and now that the first season is over I can make my honest opinion clear. I live on a barrier island in New Jersey named Long Beach Island. It is about an hour drive away from Atlantic City so as you can guess I've been there a few times. My favorite part about Atlantic City is the boardwalk. Since this show is named Boardwalk Empire it should do a good job at showing what it looked like back in the 20's. Simply put it captures the 20's perfectly. The show is directed so well I felt like I was transported back to those days. They also capture the feel of the 20's in other ways by showing historic events such as the World Series scam. In the end though it best captures the spirit of the 20's on the boardwalk. As for the plot it is set in the 1920's. Prohabition has begun starting a whole decade of illegal alcohol smuggling. The Treasurer of Atlantic City Nucky Thompson is starting a smuggling business that results in some bloody consequences. Along the way he meets a woman named Mrs. Schroeder, deals with an oncoming election, and more. It is a very well told story. It manages to tell several different stories throughout the show, but none of them feel underdone. They all are extremely well put together story lines. You have the main alcohol smuggling story, the story of Nucky and Margaret, the story of Jimmy, the story of Capone, the story of Lucky, the story of Eli Thompson, the story of Agent Nelson Van Alden, and many more. All these different stories keep things fresh. The emotions that are shown in the episodes are powerful. As the episodes go on emotions get stronger like layers of an onion. Something that is also present in this show is flare. Every gangster flick needs that style to it. It needs to have that gangster feel. While this show doesn't have a lot of that when it happens it is really cool. Now I end this review on the acting. Everybody does a swell job. Buscemi is great as usual, and everyone else is great. The person who I'm most interested in is Michael Pitt who is a relatively unknown actor, but here is great and I would like to see him other things. He could make it real big. Overall I love this show. I will be a viewer of the next season for sure.
67 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never Better
twelve-house-books16 February 2020
There has never been a mob/mafia film like this one, and there never will be again. Phenomenal writing, dialogue, acting, directing, photography--the works. I only give the series a 9 because many of the sex scenes, and much of the profanity, could have been left out and the story would not have suffered at all. Ultra-violent, authentic dialogue from that era, and touching in many parts.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of HBOs finest shows!!
daycu-16 July 2022
This show is pure art!! It's easily one of the best gangster dramas out there. From the amazing lead performance from Steve Buscemi, to the precise attention to detail, the casting, and most of all the production design... Man it's just breathtaking at times. Each episode feels like a movie and is very cinematic. Boardwalk Empire can be surprisingly funny at times, but at it's core it remains a very dark lavish show with lots of twists.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series
davidnewell-119 October 2020
A must watch series Brilliant acting and story. Thought ending was slightly rushed
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show was everything for me while it was on.
mehobulls16 September 2020
Slow at points, but also incredibly gripping. This show is the best example of Fifth Business in television.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
nwdean-862-1869034 October 2021
Painful, but the pain is worth it! Defining performances by Buscemi and Williams.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show
elliotjeory15 February 2021
Boardwalk empire is a brilliant show, I love prohibition-era films and TV shows. It has so many great characters, Chalky White, Mickey Doyle, Remus and of course Nelson who I think was my favourite. I liked the inclusion of historical crime figures too. Capone, lucky, Meyer etc. You learn a lot of key events from the 1920s era. The work that has gone into the production really deserves credit, great acting and script.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Buscemi should get an Emmy.
svenoli16 October 2010
This show is loaded with excellent acting and writing!!!!! It's worth watching every minute and shot. Steve Buscemi definitely deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of "Nucky." I haven't enjoyed a show from HBO this much since "Deadwood." The characters are well layered and the dialogue is fantastic. The supporting cast is immensely talented and the scenery is simply gorgeous. Michael Pitt is a pleasure to watch in his, complex role of the war hero gone bad. I hope this show lasts a lot longer than "Deadwood" did and makes household names out of its cast. I'll keep my HBO subscription forever if more shows like these are on the horizon.
183 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I Am Not Seeking Forgiveness"
douglasmcbroom18 June 2021
Boardwalk Empire is a brilliant series, created by Terence Winter and exec produced by Martin Scorsese and Mark Wahlberg. It also showcases the work of director Tim Van Patton and many of the actors involved with The Sopranos-still the G. O. A. T. Yet, whilst Empire is one of the greats, in my book, it is on the second tier of that list. That is mostly because of the 5th Season, but I'll get to that later.

Firstly, why it's a great series. Most of the key players are, both on and off the screen, Sopranos alum. Tim Van Patten is the best in the business. Steve Buscemi is compelling in his starring role role as 'Nucky Thompson' the Boss of Atlantic City. Buscemi continues the theme, established by The Sopranos, that character actors can carry a series. Kelly Macdonald also delivers as Nucky's protege-cum-lover-cum-wife-cum-nemesis-cum-friend. The standouts on the supporting cast include: Shea Whigham, Michael Shannon, Stephen Graham, Vincent Piazza, Michael Kenneth Williams, Charlie Cox, Gretchen Moll, Jack Huston, and Michael Stuhlbarg. Also, an admiring nod to the unique characters created by Michael Laciura and Stephen Root. Which brings us to Michael Pitt. What a shame no one wanted to work with him, such that his character was written out at least a season before I believe it was planned. He was a co-star and created a compelling, complicated character.

The writing, when it's good, is first rate and unafraid to take its time and develop characters. The sets, costumes and photography are stunning. The attention to period detail is impressive. The story captures family, friendships, loyalty, betrayal, crime, politics, history and race relations-no mean feat. The best episodes of the series can hang their hat on any series' coat rack: 'To The Lost', 'Two Imposters', 'Margate Sands' and 'Farewell Daddy Blues' being my favorites. Best Season: Season 2.

Now, let me explain why I only rate it in the bottom tier of first-tier series'. There are too many bad episodes, often back-to-back and sometimes back-to-back-to-back. The writing ranged from brilliant to sketchy to downright boring. My partial list of the worst episodes includes: 'Bone For Tuna', 'Ging Gang Goolie', 'What Does The Bee Do?', 'Resignation', 'Acres Of Diamonds', 'The North Star', 'William Wilson', 'The Good Listener', 'What Jesus Said', 'King Of Norway' and the ENTIRE 5th Season. In fact, I based my rating of a 9 stars on the first 4 Seasons. I would rate Season 5 as 2 stars. The series could have, and should have, ended with a 2 hour Season 4 finale. We did not need the deadly-dull, incessant flashback plot. We did not need to catch-up with the despicable Gillian. We did not need to bring Margaret back into the picture. We did not need Willie's startling and unexplained character turnabout. Season 5, hands down, is the worst season. I also would have preferred an ending for Enoch that mirrored that of the real-life character he was based upon.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.