The Other Man (2008) Poster

(2008)

Not your average thriller
Leofwine_draca15 December 2011
A bit of an unwieldy film. This one came out around the same time as TAKEN, and like that film it sees Liam Neeson traipsing around Europe in a bit to reunite his family. However, this isn't an action film at all, but rather an exploration of adultery and the effect it can have on people's lives.

It's hard to work out the target audience. The threat of impending violence keeps things moving along at one stage, as does the mystery surrounding Neeson's wife's secrecy. But it's not a thriller at all, and in fact it's difficult to pigeonhole. Really it's more of an excuse to ruminate on love, jealousy, rivalry and more.

It's also one of those twist films, in which plotting plays a major part. I was torn between being slightly bored and fairly intrigued. Neeson is good, if not great, but Antonio Banderas bags the best role and is a delight. Laura Linney and Romola Garai provide strong support.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great cast wasted
SnoopyStyle18 August 2016
Successful shoe designer Lisa (Laura Linney) dies from cancer leaving her husband Peter (Liam Neeson) and her daughter Abigail (Romola Garai). Peter is a successful software entrepreneur. He discovers a voice message from a mystery man looking for his late wife and he cracks her password for a hidden cache of love pics. His security team uncovers her lover as Ralph Cortez. He goes to Milan and befriends Ralph without acknowledging his wife. Abigail begs him to stop his angry obsession.

This is a great cast but the drama isn't there. There is no tension. There is a possibility of a dramatic turn but it goes in the opposite direction. There is a surprising reveal but it doesn't add to the drama. There is a message here as long as the audience is awake to see it. This is a short movie and yet it feels overly long.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adultery and Triangle of Love
claudio_carvalho27 June 2010
In Cambridge, the software engineer Peter (Liam Neeson) and the shoe designer Lisa (Laura Linney) are successful in their careers and have been happily married for twenty-five years. They have an adult daughter, Abigail (Romola Garai), and Lisa frequently travels to Milano to do business with the Gianni & Gianni Company. When Lisa is gone, Peter finds a message in her cellular and decides to snoop her e-mails and discovers in a secret folder named Love that she had a lover, Ralph (Antonio Banderas). Peter travels to Milano and stalks Ralph; he finds that the man plays chest in a bar. Peter gets close to Ralph that tells his relationship with Lisa without knowing that he is her husband.

"The Other Man" is an engaging romance about adultery and triangle of love among the husband, the wife and her lover. The story is supported by the excellent Liam Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas but unfortunately the suspenseful screenplay has a disappointing conclusion. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Amante" ("The Lover")
32 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Move On.
nogodnomasters14 June 2019
Liam Neeson discovers his wife has/had an affair with Antonio Banderas. At that point I would quit. Liam decides he wants to meet the guy. Then there is the idiotic twist that made a bad film worse. Is this a chick thing being in love with two men?

Guide: F-word, sex, nudity (Laura Linney)
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An intelligent film, which deals with the complexities of love.
Sleepin_Dragon19 September 2018
The Other Man is a very different, complex, yet intriguing film. It develops very slowly, with parts of the story being held back, and kept until the end.

It does get you thinking, this challenges anyone's idea that love is a simple idea, a straight line. This tries to show that it is possible to genuinely love, and be in love with more then one person.

There are times when it's deliberately slow, designed I guess to confuse you as to who's side you're on, where your sympathies lie etc.

It's very well acted, Neeson great as always, Banderas was superb, I would say the highlight of the film.

I didn't care for the production itself, it wasn't particularly well produced, the music didn't sit well with the film, and at times I was a bit bored with it.

Clever, watchable. 6/10
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obsessed
kosmasp29 November 2010
Liam and Antonio are in the heart of this movie. With Laura being their connection. Those actors really anchor the whole movie. It is really grounded in reality and might come too close to home for some. But as with life this isn't easy. Choices have to be made by the main character and he does choose ways that lead him deeper into trouble (and while you might not agree with his way of dealing with things, Liam is very convincing in his act(ing)).

There is deeper issues at hand here and this will not satisfy everyones expectations, but I really liked where the movie took it's theme(s). And it dared to do so with almost minimalistic effort.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Alright
gavin694220 February 2014
The story of a husband (Liam Neeson) who suspects his wife (Laura Linney) of adultery, and sets out to track down the other man (Antonio Banderas) in her life.

Frankly, I was not all that impressed with this film. What redeems it is the strong performances from both Neeson and Banderas, who could eat up screen time and entertain just by the way they deliver their lines. The game between them is tense and emotional, but also well-crafted.

The actual plot was just alright. I do not know that it was handled in the way we might expect a love triangle to be handled, and if the way it was happened to be the right way at all.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Character study, happily married couple have to deal with the possibility of one of them cheating.
TxMike21 October 2010
When the movie was over and the credits started to roll, I asked my wife what she thought the point of it was. That is not to necessarily say it was a bad movie, because it isn't, but it is not a very usual movie where all the pieces fit.

Laura Linney is Lisa, a shoe designer in England, and who often needs to take a business trip out of the country.

She is happily married to Liam Neeson as Peter, for perhaps 25 years, and they have a daughter. Peter is a successful software designer.

One evening over a meal Lisa muses to Peter, if he would give in to temptation with another woman. Of course he wouldn't and was puzzled by the subject.

Antonio Banderas is Ralph (pronounced Rafe) who lives in Milan. A phone message and a phone message indicate Rafe and Lisa may know each other, very, very well.

I can't say too much until the "spoilers" below, but this is a well-acted and well-edited movie, but it isn't about anything more than people and how they relate to each other, and how they react to unfavorable news. Most viewers won't like it that much.

SPOILERS: Nearly half-way through the movie Lisa leaves for her trip, we see her sort of go out the door and it closes in slow motion. The next scene is an abrupt cut to their home, as Peter is cleaning up and giving some of Lisa's things to the daughter. We, the audience, don't know much, just that Lisa seems to have disappeared. Then Peter hears a phone message from Rafe, then finds some emails and photos, it was clear Lisa and Rafe were having a love affair. What had happened to Lisa, we only learn near the end, is she had cancer, wasted away, and died, all before Peter found out about Rafe. When he did he looked him up in Milan, befriended him, wanted to kill him, played chess with him, found out Rafe was just a janitor, and eventually forgave Rafe and Lisa in his mind, nothing was really taken away from him, except that Lisa got sick and died, it was time to forgive and move on.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engaging drama
Gordon-118 September 2010
This film is about a man who discovers his wife having an affair with someone in Italy. He is enraged and is determined to find and kill the adulterer.

"The Other Man" is an engaging drama about the enmeshed relationship of three people. The composition of scenes and the use of appropriate music enhances the atmosphere of the film. Acting is uniformly good by all three leads. Laura Linney appears appropriately frail at the end, Antonio Banderas is the macho ladies man, while Liam Neeson suffers in anger and grief. Despite the limited amount material, "The Other Man" manages to be captivating and engaging. If the story of "The Other Man" could be expanded, it would have been even better.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Global Search For The Other Man
sunwarrior1327 September 2012
In The Other Man, it features Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas as competitors for a woman's love in Laura Linney. It was written and directed by Richard Eyre.

When Peter discovers evidence of an affair on his wife's laptop, he tracks down the other man in Milan and stalks him. But though there are taut moments of suspense, the movie's emphasis is on watching Peter's mind unravel and seeing the damage this does to his daughter Abigail.

The film is talky, witless, and tension-free despite best efforts of the talented lead stars.Also,it suffers from some confusing editing and a few implausibilities, but the main reason it languishes in obscurity is that it defies the usual expectations of a thriller. It could have been a fascinating case study as it is, it's intriguing but fails to fully satisfy.But nevertheless, Neeson is, as ever, compelling.In addition to that,it is beautifully shot on location in Milan and Lake Como as well as in London.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High Infidelity - High High High High!
hitchcockthelegend6 March 2016
The Other Man is directed by Richard Eyre who co-adapts the screenplay with Charles Wood from a short story written by Bernhard Schlink. It stars Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Antonio Banderas and Romola Garai. Music is by Stephen Warbeck and cinematography by Haris Zambarloukos.

Neeson plays Peter, a tortured husband who upon finding evidence of his wife's infidelity, travels to Milan to confront her lover in the hope of understanding.

There is nothing remotely funny about infidelity, it can wreck lives. Sadly The Other Man is a funny film, though not intentionally. It so often misses the beat of real grief and anger, throwing up ridiculous situations that beggar belief, it's often impossible to take seriously, so much so that when the big reveal etc comes crashing forward, the emotional impact is null and void. There's a couple of decent plot turns and the Italian locales are gorgeously photographed, but the script is trite, the score out of sync and ultimately it wastes a damn fine cast. 5/10
Lake Como
jotix10024 December 2010
Does anyone ever get to know completely the person one loves? For that matter, does happiness really exist? Or, better yet, is it possible to love two persons at once? Those are the questions Bernard Schlink, the author of the short story in which this film is based, asked from his readers, or in this instance, the audience watching the cinematic adaptation of his work. Charles Wood, and the director, Richare Eyre, in their treatment of the original material have gone for the potential mystery in which the characters are involved, rather in to make a point in whether Lisa, the woman at the center of a love triangle, really cared for Peter, her husband of more than twenty something years.

The narrative of "The Other Man" is not linear. The creators of the film held back key pieces of the story and make it confusing for the viewer to solve the puzzle they created. Thus, the perception of what is really happening is not exactly what logic tells us. When Lisa asks Peter about whether he would have considered going to bed with another woman, she is, in reality, confessing she has been deceiving him with Ralph for many years. Of course, most of the time, it is the other way around; the man is almost always the one cheating on an unsuspecting woman.

Then, there is a problem with the mere idea of Lisa, a sophisticated and worldly lady, falling for Ralph, who has all the makings of a man out to bed whatever woman he can find. Lisa, coming from money and class, would have spotted that Ralph was not on her same level. Yet, her marriage to Peter was not all what it appeared to be. Yes, she was happy, but something in their relationship was missing. That is the only explanation for having been swept by Ralph's charms, as well as his performance in bed. It was obvious Lisa was paying for their stay at Villa D'Este in Lake Como, something that poor Ralph could never dreamed to afford.

What baffles the viewer is the way the story has been set. One moment Lisa is going to Milan for work, and the next, she has mysteriously disappeared. Nothing prepares us for the reality of the situation. Lisa obviously has left all the clues in her notebook for Peter to find. In fact, she is almost at the point of confessing to her husband her deception, but she probably wanted to spare him the truth.

The three principals in this film, Laura Linney, Liam Neeson, and Antonio Banderas, are wonderful actors. Ms. Linney is perhaps the one that fares best because of the emotions she expresses with such ease. Haris Zambarloukos dark cinematography serves the film well. The editing by Tariq Anwar and the musical score by Stephen Warbeck also enhance the production.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinematic equivalent of a short story is an intelligent look at a man searching for answers
dbborroughs4 August 2009
Liam Neeson tries to find out about Antonio Banderas, the man who was having an affair with his wife, played by Laura Linney. Good small scale film from Richard Eyre that is more the cinematic equivalent of a meaty short story. Based on a short story this is a film that mimics the the feel and texture of the short narrative that seems to have fallen out of favor these days. Personally I was initially put off by the film because it didn't behave as I thought it should. I wasn't willing to give myself over to the rhythms of the film, which was a mistake since the film moves and behaves in its own literary way. What you think is going on is not what is going on and everything isn't revealed until the end. It wasn't until some time around the hour mark that the film suddenly clicked with me and not only did I start to enjoy it, but I also realized that my fighting it had kind of lessened the experience since I had missed so man little bits that I will now have to go back and re-watch the film to fully get the full effect. If you want an intelligent film and decry the lack of smart films this is it (just don't be like me and fail to embrace it when you see it.) I have to say that this is extremely well acted, I don't know when Banderas was last this great. Neeson is just as good, as is the rest of the cast, but its Banderas who truly shines here and its quite possible that you have to go all the way back to his days in Spain to find a film role that allows him to really shine and expose his acting chops. I really liked this a great deal and recommend it to anyone wanting a meaty small film that is intelligently made. (Though I will be honest and say that it is possible that I admire this more than I like it. We'll see how I feel when I see it again)
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspense Askew
gradyharp13 December 2009
THE OTHER MAN is a thinking person's film, a film well cast, finely acted, and well written by writer/director Richard Eyre based on a short story by master storyteller Bernhard Schlink ('The Reader', 'Flights of Love' - collection of short stories from which this story is excerpted, etc). If some viewers find the film confusing or too subtle in the unraveling of a fascinating tale, the problem is that the cast and director and writers demand more of the viewer's attention than in the usual movie fare. A suspense film should keep the viewer in the dark, or thinking in one direction, until a little twist changes the story that has been unfolding on a different level. That is what THE OTHER MAN does and it is a pleasure to be surprised in this way.

Peter (Liam Neeson) is a successful business man whose wife Lisa (Laura Linney) is a successful and high profile shoe designer. He spends much of his life in her shadow but the marriage works for them both and they obviously love each other and their young rambunctious daughter Abigail (Romola Garai) who is attached to the somewhat hippie, strange George (Craig Parkinson). Lisa's office comrades - Ralph (Patterson Joseph) and Vera (Pam Ferris) - are supportive of both Peter and Lisa and the world seems balanced. Very early in the film Lisa departs for Milan for another showing of her shoes, but she doesn't return. Peter grows suspicious when he discovers insinuating email messages from a man named Ralph, and once he discovers this Ralph is not her office comrade, he sets out on a mission to find the source of his wife' surprise infidelity. He discovers pictures taken in a special hotel in Milan, pictures that reveal photos of 'Ralph' (Antonio Banderas) in intimate situations with Lisa. Peter travels to Milan with the intent to kill Ralph, stalks him, and discovers his pastime of playing chess in a little Milanese café. And this is where Schlink and Eyre change the twist of the story, and Ralph is not at all whom he appears to be, nor is the direction of Peter's vengeance as focused as we expected. It is this crucial turn of storyline that make this film so endearing and to suggest, even slightly, the final moments of this film would destroy the suspense so well written and directed and acted.

Neeson, Linney, Banderas, and Garai are all splendid in these difficult roles - Linney continues to mature as an actress while becoming ever more beautiful in countenance. This is a tightly drawn suspense tale and well worth the attention of the public unafraid to think along with the development of the story.

Grady Harp
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
better than the imdb rating...
ksf-213 July 2021
Peter (Liam Neeeeeson) and Lisa (Laura Linney) have been married for many years, but suddenly Lisa is questioning things. And acting a little odd. Which makes Peter wonder if things are really okay between them. So when she disappears, he is sad. But not completely surprised. Then Peter starts to find clues as to where (and why) she is. The clues all point to an affair with someone in italy. So off he goes. Good things happen, bad things happen. Better not say too much. Just that it's excellently done. And all secrets are revealed in the end. Directed by Richard Eyre. Based on a story by german writer Bernhard Schlink. He's had several of his works turned into film. The leads were all oscar nominated for other things, so it's all done quite well.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obsession
lavatch2 April 2021
On the surface, "The Other Man" appears to be a romantic thriller. But it turns into a snoozefest due to the emphasis on the true, lugubrious nature of the film that is closer to a sob story.

At the heart of the drama is the obsession that develops with the character of Peter Riley, a CEO whose wife Lisa is a designer of women's shoes. There are some early ambiguous moments when it appears that Lisa may not be entirely committed to the marriage.

Structurally, the film is disjointed with awkward jumps where it is painfully apparent that the filmmakers are withholding information about Lisa when she instantly vanishes. Peter apparently pursues her from their home in London to Milan, after he discovers evidence on her computer that she was having an affair with a mysterious lover named Ralph (Rafe).

The most interesting character in the film is Rafe, a charlatan, loser, and apparent gigolo with whom Lisa apparently was carrying on an affair during her marriage to Peter. Antonio Bandaras delivered a memorable interpretation of a janitor with pretentions of living with the intelligentsia.

This dreary film was overly manipulative in withholding the backstory of Lisa's cancer and death. On the surface, the "obsession" of Peter was to locate Lisa. But in fact, the obsession was much more mundane in discovering the sordid details about her tawdry affair. This is manipulative filmmaking with a vengeance. Most of the roles were thankless (especially the daughter Abigail), as the film degenerated into a silly rivalry of the two men, as apparent in their intense duels in games of chess. The husband completely shuts down the good counsel given to him by others when they tell him, "Let it go, Peter."

Despite the good location filming and the decent performances, "The Other Man" was a shallow and unconvincing attempt to string the audience along for a ninety-minute vapid art film.
A Play for Today
JamesHitchcock6 June 2013
The plot twist is a cinematic device which we normally associate with the thriller genre. You all know the sort of thing I'm thinking of- a villain believed to be dead is suddenly revealed to be alive and the hero in mortal peril from him, or the hero's best friend/girlfriend/boss turns out to have betrayed him and to be in league with the villains. "The Other Man", however, is film that makes use of a similar twist ending, even though it belongs to a very different genre, being a psychological melodrama rather than a thriller.

As the film opens we are introduced to Peter and Lisa, a seemingly happily married middle-aged couple with an adult daughter, Abigail. They live in a large house in the Cambridgeshire countryside and both have professional careers, she as a shoe designer, he in the computer industry. As the story moves on, however, Peter begins to suspect that his wife may have taken a lover. (She by this time appears to have disappeared from the action). Documents and photographs found on Lisa's computer suggest that Peter's suspicions are justified and that Lisa's lover is a man named Ralph living in Milan, where Lisa frequently travelled on business. Desperate to find out more about his wife's lover, he manages to track Ralph down in Milan and meets him in a café without revealing his true identity. The two men play chess together and talk; in the course of their conversation Ralph begins to speak about his relationship with Lisa, unaware that he is talking to Lisa's husband. Ralph begins to see Peter as a friend, but Peter is obsessed with vengeance against the man who has cuckolded him. And then comes the twist. (I won't say what it is).

The film was directed by Sir Richard Eyre, perhaps best known in British as a theatrical director, but it does not have the stagey, claustrophobic feel of certain films made by directors whose primary work has been in the theatre. It is, however, worth mentioning that Sir Richard also worked on the BBC series "Play for Today" in the seventies and eighties, as "The Other Man" has something of the intimate feel of a television play- in fact it often seems closer to that genre than it does to the cinematic feature which it ostensibly is. That remark is not intended as a putdown. The television play was a fine dramatic and literary genre in its own right, and it was a sad day for British drama when in 1985 the BBC scrapped "Play for Today", and reduced the role of one-off plays in its output, in order to concentrate more on soap operas and serials. (Channel 4 did to some extent try to cover the gap in the one-off market with its "Film on 4" series, but there is a difference between a television play and a made-for-television film)

Advocating the return of "Play for Today", or something like it, to British television screens, the commentator and newspaper columnist Jan Moir wrote "A good piece of drama looks at the human condition, and tells us something we should know about ourselves," and this I think is what "The Other Man" does. It is not really the greatest film of its three major stars, Liam Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas, all of whim have given better performances than they do here, especially Neeson ("Schindler's List", "Nell", "K-19 The Widowmaker").and Linney ("The Truman Show", "The House of Mirth"), and the twist ending can seem like a bit of a gimmick. Yet I think that it works as a psychological drama, one that explores some of the darker areas of the human psyche such as jealousy and the desire for revenge, but one which ends on a note of hope and reconciliation. The dark nature of the emotions involved is emphasised by Eyre's restricted palette, dominated by browns and greys, giving the film a sombre, autumnal feel. It is in some ways a very modern film, with that quintessentially modern invention, the computer, central to the plot, but it is also one that explores the timeless aspects of human nature. A play for today. 6/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An underrated and chilling movie about the effect's adultery can cause.
callanvass10 May 2010
The Other Man was a movie that had intrigued me for a while due to its story lines, and the two main actors, considering I love both Liam Neeson and Banderas, but I avoided due to the critical reviews I read about it. Needless to say this is a movie that proves once more, that I tend to enjoy movies that critics seem to tear apart. I was absolutely fascinated by Liam Neeson's growing obsession of getting revenge on Banderas for having an affair with his widowed wife, it was intense and quite thrilling. But what I loved even more was the face to face sequences that Neeson and Banders had, they were heartfelt and emotional. This movie goes to show us how dangerous and hurtful affairs can be, and how the hurt one receives from it, can lead you into an obsession of darkness.

Performances. Liam Neeson is utterly brilliant here. He was a man on a mission, and his intense performance had me on the edge of my seat, it's one of my favorite performances of his. Antonio Banderas is equally as good as the slick, yet caring character who wants Neeson's wife's heart, his charisma and charm is hard to beat. Laura Linney is great in her screen time as the widowed wife, I felt for her, even if she was wrong.

Bottom line. The Other Man will stay with you for a while when it's all over. Don't be fooled by the somewhat lowish rating, this is an excellent movie on all accounts, and I classify it as a must watch!.

8 1/2 /10
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pain of loneliness...
Thanos_Alfie24 October 2013
In this movie the main thing that you can understand from the start of the movie is the loneliness which dominates. As we can also observe in this movie that Liam Neeson who plays the cheated husband, he plays really great and we see that his playing is different from other times. So as Antonio Banderas does who is the lover of his wife (Laura Linney).

"The Other Man" is not some special movie that you will watch and you will be speechless or something like that, but it's a movie that show us the loneliness that feels a person and the pain of this loss. It also show us the difference of behavior between the people and how people manage such a difficult issue.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but with some unexpected things
Rodrigo_Amaro16 January 2011
Looking at the cast of "The Other Man" you could consider in buying this film: Liam Nesson, Antonio Banderas, Laura Linney and Romola Garai. The movie delivers? Yes. All that much? No. And if you consider that this was directed by Richard Eyre who directed great ensemble casts in "Iris" and "Notes on a Scandal" there are things that makes of "The Other Man" an inferior film than this two examples.

Neeson plays Peter, a man married with a beautiful wife (Linney), that discover that she hides from him a long affair with Ralph (pronunced Rafe, played by Banderas). What Peter does? Tracks down this man in Italy and tries to see who he really is and what his wife saw in that men. His first idea is to kill this guy but he's always reluctant, so he keeps on playing games with his guy who seems to love Peter's wife very much.

The whole drama pretending to be a thriller goes well, it makes the story interesting until the ending which is quite disappointing and a little bit unexpected. But if you think I can buy the idea that these two guys reveal part of their lives to each other during chess games matches, well I did not buy it. And if they were drunk maybe but that was not the case. Two unknown figures sharing their romantic passages of their lives (with the same woman) is something unbelievable (or perhaps it's just me who likes to play the mysterious guy in front of other people so it's very difficult to make me really share something of this kind of nature). This scenes were great, interesting dialog, except for some angered reaction of Neeson throwing the pieces away after losing a match.

It's a very psychological work about how one can deal with adultery, different reactions might come from the audience, it's very interesting the way Peter does that, changing his persona all the way through this chase after his wife's lover. It's a great material for passionate people who can't forget a betrayal and feel a need to do something about it. This film will make that kind of people think again just like Peter changed his mind in the course of the story.

The acting is decent, the cast is at their best considering the material they were giving. More complexity, more realism and more thrilling moments instead of some bits here and there would make this film better. 7/10
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice as a drama. Awfully forced as a thriller !
elshikh421 November 2011
As you know, pure drama in Hollywood nowadays is a disease.

Whenever you have big stars, then it must be whether a comedy, or an action. Otherwise, it's an independent movie, or a disease to be cured of. And for this drama, they found the remedy of "let's make it a Thriller"!

The problem isn't in the misleading publicity. It's originally in the way part of this movie was written. See well how the script "hides" the wife weirdly since the start. In fact, it's not smart playing with time, rather an idiot attempt to make a thriller!

Speaking about faults, Antonio Banderas' character is relatively one. How come that this janitor wears deluxe outfits, or knows these people he accompanies? How come he knew the wife in the first place? How he afforded the room and the journey that hey had once? Why he wasn't made as gambler instead of chess player? (that would have explained the presence of money, and its vanishing as well). He calls himself a cosmopolitan citizen? He seemed more like a cosmopolitan beggar to me!

Cut to Banderas himself. OK, to solve his enigma; it must be 1 out of 2 answers. He was / is / will be typecast as the Latino lover. Or, he can't do anything but that! Banderas is a load of charisma, with not much of an actor. He's not bad of course, but he's a star; with a portion of the bad nature of the term. Still nothing glows by him, and pleads for him too, else his Zorro. I didn't see anything he pulled off, distinctly, here except looking dazzling as a Latino lover. And yet, I can't decide is it him? Or is it Hollywood that makes him away from getting roles like the one Neeson got in this movie for instance!

On the other hand, Liam Neeson ruled. True he evoked some of his last thrillers. Especially when he traveled to Europe to search for someone badly (in Taken "2008"; he was searching for his daughter, and in Unknown "2011"; he was searching for his wife and himself.). Though, and on the contrary of Banderas, he could establish a good character. Despite not that great writing, many moments witness that Neeson is higher actor. Just forget the many many times he said: "How Dare YOU?!", and recall the last 10 minutes of the movie. This man can sometimes make a character by being silent.

The director feels the story, however seems astray with it at times. I mean how many shot he took for Neeson in front of his computer?! So with the silly ambiguity that was made, or made up, since the start; the movie did have a free share of confusion, and bore, that the story didn't deserve. The editing, the music, and the cinematography did compensate a little. And with Neeson's acting; it's watchable, and particularly sensitive at last.

Yes, one heart can fall in love with 2. Yes, sometimes our closest person doesn't know the closest of us. And yes, these facts can be learned - sorrowfully - very late. But NO, playing with time for nothing but turning nice drama into thriller couldn't get more awfully forced!

To Hollywood: Don't do that again, unless rightly.

P.S: I watched the edited for TV version, so I can't speak about the sex and the nudity, but you can know my opinion about them in general, from all my other reviews.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interested, interested, interested....then I lost interest.
MBunge17 June 2011
In sexual terms, The Other Man is like having some pretty good foreplay but when you finally get around to doing the deed, the man's erection completely disappears. It slowly builds your anticipation, only to leave you with nothing but disappointment and frustration.

Peter (Liam Neeson) is a successful businessman. Lisa (Laura Linney), his beautiful wife, is a shoe designer for high fashion. Abigail (Romola Garai), his daughter, is in love with a scruffy looking guy of whom Peter disapproves. After a cryptic post-fashion show conversation with Lisa, the film jumps ahead to Lisa being dead. That's when Peter discovers she was having an affair with a Spaniard named Ralph (Antonio Banderas). Peter compulsively seeks out Ralph (pronounced Rayf) and discovers her lover doesn't know that Lisa has passed away. Peter befriends Ralph and gets him to talk about Lisa and their love, seemingly as a prelude to killing him. But then Peter discovers the truth of who Ralph is and the reality of his feelings for Lisa and…well, I'm not really sure how to describe what happens after that. I mean, I could describe it, but you'll think I'm making it up because it's really that ridiculous.

The first half of this film is quite effective. It treads a line between being an emotional drama and a thriller, always leaving you in of suspense about what's going happen. It subtly defines Peter as a man who's been unable to function since his wife's death until he finds a purpose in her adultery. You can see him wrap his arms around Lisa's betrayal as though it's brought her back to him and you can feel the tension build in him as he descends on the man who cuckolded him.

After delightfully tantalizing the viewer, however, The Other Man goes irretrievably flaccid. All the emotion, all the investment, all the interest is killed deader than Napoleon's boner. That's because at the moment when the movie finally brings Peter and Ralph face-to-face, it goes into a string of intermittent flashbacks that continue through the entire 2nd half of the film. It's flashback after flashback of Lisa and Ralph, Lisa and Peter, Lisa and Abigail and it just destroys the story because all of the flashbacks displace the conflict you've been waiting the whole 1st half of the movie to see. You want to see Peter and Ralph interact. You want to see Peter play a cat-and-mouse game with the man he intends to kill. You want to see Ralph slowly start to wonder who this stranger is who keeps asking about Lisa. You want to see anger and jealously and hatred slowly seep into their conversations before exploding into the truth. And none of that really happens because the damned flashbacks get in the way. Peter and Ralph don't have one extended talk that doesn't get taken over by a flashback and it utterly derails all of the momentum built up in the story. To use sexual terms again, it's like watching an x-rated movie and in the middle of every sex scene, an image of your grandma pops up on screen.

Now, Laura Linney does get naked, which remains a very good thing. She, Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas also try hard, but Neeson and Banderas' characters are so frequently interrupted and displaced by all the damned flashbacks that they never get the chance to do more than sputter.

The Other Man is half good, but the other half is so vexing that it ruins the whole thing. Unless you're somebody who only likes foreplay, don't bother with this motion picture.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a movie for those who pay attention.
jaybob6 February 2010
CeraThe basis of this film by Richard Eyre is a short story by Hernhard Schlink. It is a short film only 84 minutes before ending credits.

Most movies of the past were usually this length. They did not waste there time with boring effects or song scores.

Before I say more, I must add that the viewer MUST pay close attention to what is happening,If you let your mind wander,you may miss a change in viewpoint & you can become confused.

This story has a mystery quality to it & the small cast does it full justice. Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Antonio Bandaras & Romola Garai are all first rate. The first 3 are always first rate. Romola Garai is from Television, I feel in a few years she will be a major performer, she is excellent in her few scenes. I will be watching for her roles, so will you. Craig Partinson is also featured,I would have liked it if is role was a bit more explained.

NOTE this is not a great film, My rating of 7 indicates it s good, interesting & worth seeing.

Ratings: *** (out of 4) 84 points (out of 100) IMDb 7 (out of 10)
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clunky Cheap Trick
pc9514 October 2013
"The Other Man", directed by Richard Eyre, is a fairly clunky movie. It goes on for quite awhile before pulling it's big turnaround which in fact turns the movie upside down and makes it fairly inert in terms of it's intended potency. I did like Antonio Banderas character who sparkled the most in the runtime. That particular setup was interesting, however Neeson's character was particularly pathetic and terrible to watch. (major spoiler) When we are finally told outright that Linney's character has passed, all of the sudden the whole movie feels like a cheap rip-off, and the motivation involved all of the sudden becomes nothing but obsession. It became a cheap trip. 5/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Love Story
bob-rutzel-126 December 2009
Peter (Neeson) discovers his wife Lisa (Linney), is having an affair. He vows to find the Other Man, Ralph (Banderas).

This is a strange love story, but a good one nevertheless. No, nothing uncomfortable in here. There will be a bombshell almost near the end. Deal with it. We all had to.

To have Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas in a movie together is pure gold and the performances by the rest of the cast are extremely well done.

It's kind of hard to talk about the story without giving the bombshell away. Many will say it was predictable and that's a cop-out as yes, there is nothing new under the sun. But, it's all in the telling and that is why we watch. We know the outcomes of most stories, but again, it's in the telling that counts. And, this one is good in the telling.

And, also there is some suspense and tension and those are needed for a good story. At times, you really are not sure where this is going and you may find yourself holding your breath.

The only complaint I have are the flashbacks. Until we really get to know the characters we are not sure if we are in the present or are taken back in time. But, we catch on, we usually do. But a different color filter could be used for flashbacks and we would quickly know we are in a flashback. Hey, I'm just saying.

This probably went straight to DVD because there were no explosions, shootings, unbelievable stunts or the almost ever-present CGI. Hey, it's a love story.

Violence: No. Sex: No, but you see positions for. Nudity: Yes. Language: Yes, briefly in the beginning
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.