The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) Poster

Fun
FiendishDramaturgy25 July 2010
Dueling sorcerers, a compelling back-story, top-notch acting talent, and the Disney brand bring the idea born of Fantasia's Sorcerer's Apprentice to the big screen in a live full movie adaptation. While this film did not fully live up to its potential, it is a fun movie which will find its way into the collection.

This is silly and sappy just like any other live action Disney movie, and if allowed, will worm its way into the heart in a disingenuous way. If you view this film expecting Casablanca or the Godfather, you WILL be unimpressed. But if you go in expecting to be entertained, you shouldn't be disappointed.

The action sequences between Cage and Molina aren't elevated as much as many would expect, due to the story centering around the kid's battle, not Balthazar's. This is another standard Disney formula wherein the kid is undeserving, unprepared, and uneducated in the ways of the Samurai but is thrust into the center of the fray, regardless. Those who would rail against this formula, obviously weren't there to see a Disney movie.

All in all? The five of us ranging in age from 45 to 15, loved it. It is clever, and creative, marrying the science of magic known by today's standards with the arcane stories of our past. I found it intriguing and adventurous enough not to be preachy, while still managing to educate even the most unwilling movie goer.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.
129 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light and entertaining fun for the whole family
phd_travel6 August 2010
Overall, this is entertaining and well done. The effects are not revolutionary but at least fit in to the story rather than detract from it. No violence or mayhem - its OK for a younger to general audience. Main fault is the hero Dave played by Jay Baruchel isn't up to the part.

The script is pleasant if predictable - does the nerd hero rise to the task and vanquish the evil forces. There could have been more historical witches besides Abigail Williams of Salem. There are some humorous bits but not too many.

Acting is better than expected. Nicholas Cage is quite good more serious and less horsey than usual. Monica looks a little older and has too little screen time. Alfred Molina is convincing without being annoying. Alice Krige (Morgana) is good and looks young. Teresa Palmer (Becky) the girlfriend acts and looks like a blonde Kristen Stewart.

The main problem is Jay Baruchel (Dave) is a too geeky to the point of spastic sometimes. It is painful to watch him. He lacks charm and charisma nerdy or otherwise. He is not a cute geek. He speaks like he has a speech impediment. Would have been better with someone more like Shia Labeouf, Justin Long or Michael Angarano if they wanted one of the new nerd/geek heroes.
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic adventures set in Manhattan plenty of necromancy and witchery
ma-cortes20 June 2011
Amusing film is packed with intrigue , comedy , tense and especial effects galore , dealing with a Master sorcerer named Balthazar Blake who recruits a seemingly everyday guy in his mission to defend New York City from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath . It starts in 740 A.D., in Britain, the disciple of Merlin Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina) unites forces to the wicked Morgana Le Fay (Alice Krige) and betrays his master. However, the other two disciples of Merlin Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage), a descendant from a historical line familiar whose mission was defeat nasty witch and Veronica (Monica Belluci) defeat the evil and Balthazar catches Horvath in a magic recipient and Veronica merges with Morgana and they are seized in another vessel. Along the centuries, Balthazar unsuccessfully seeks out the Prime Merlian, the only sorcerer capable to destroy Morgana, using a dragon ring and he finally finds him in the present days in Manhattan . Balthazar can't do it alone, so he enlists Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant pupil. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice. The young is spontaneously implicated as key on find out the weird events .However the sorcerer's apprentice is in love with Becky Barnes (Teresa Palmer) and Blake doubts whether he is actually the chosen one .They will take on lots of adventures, risks and confronting a stubborn enemy. The sorcerer and his new friend undergo a chase that take them throughout the N.Y. streets .

This entertaining movie displays suspense , noisy action, intrigue, humor and extraordinary adventures. The picture blends rip-roaring feats , thrills , mystery and witchery , along with a Walt Disney style . It's a cinematic roller coaster pretty amusing that have you on the edge of your seat. The tale is silly and laughable but the effects and action are quite well. Among the most spectacular of its visuals there are a metallic eagle , the attack of a sculpture showing a giant bull brought to life and other monsters roaring menacingly towards the camera. Some illogical parts in the argument are more than compensated for the excitement provided by the excellent visual effects by John Nelson . Stimulating action set pieces illuminate the full-blown adventures of ours protagonists with breathtaking final attraction in the scenes of the ultimate confrontation among wizards . Stirring and lively musical score by Trevor Rabin . Cameraman Bojan Bazelli makes a glamorous cinematography though mostly night. The flick is lavishly produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and professionally directed by John Turteltaub (the kid , Phenomenon, While you were sleeping) .Both of them have collaborated in two hits as ¨National treasure¨ and ¨National treasure : Book of secrets¨ . The picture will appeal to Nicolas Cage fans and Jerry Brukheimer movies enthusiasts.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easy charming fun - perfect summer fare
archravenstorm16 July 2010
The same people who to me are surprisingly rudely negative about this film would probably say I'm too easily pleased, but I enjoy movies as escapism for the most part and see no need to pick this very enjoyable vehicle to death. Actually, some early negatives I'd read had me worried that I would be irritated I spent the money, instead I've already decided to buy this when it comes out.

Overall, I'd say if you like romping easy movies like The Mummy, National Treasure, and Lake Placid you'll like this, plus refreshingly (without being sickeningly sweet) there is not one swear word or sexed-up scene, so take the older kids and Grandma. I thought Nicolas Cage was excellent, he looked great and can wear a leather duster better than most, and there was some nice chemistry between Cage and Baruchel. Alred Molina looked like he was having fun and is such an enjoyable villain. Baruchel does a good job - he is so geeky at times it is a tad painful - and I found myself rooting for him. The 2 main female characters are lovely and appealing personalities.

More pluses: A lively pace and I never lost interest plus a fair number of laughs. Some interesting character twists with the oily young rock-star magician helping Molina, and some very funny cheeky nods to the original animated Fanatasia - watch for the nod to Star Wars. Great and interesting special effects that made sense when they were used. Even the way the actors moved when they were doing magic was very good (for some reason the wand-waving in Harry Potter sometimes reminds me of people using a flyswatter or shaking a bug off a stick, that didn't happen in this film).

So no, this isn't some classic of cinema, it is what it is and is a bit thin here and there, but it's also quite good for a "magical romp" and is in no way a bad film or a waste of money. I could have done without the occasional background songs which seemed designed to emphasize romantic angst or appeal to young teenagers, but that was bearable. I saw this at an early evening show and there were not many people in the theater, but we all laughed and there was applause at the end, and we left the theater smiling. Personally I think the critics panning this are full of BS or are trying to prove what intellectuals they are. In the meantime see this with your family or take your friends, and then go out and get some ice cream and sit outside and enjoy summer. Hope they make a sequel, too.
203 out of 252 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves Better!
g-bodyl3 December 2010
Believe it or not, this is actually a pretty good movie. I was annoyed with a few aspects of the movie such as my extreme annoyance with Jay Baruchel. But I think Nic Cage carried the movie. He is a very talented actor and he proves it in each movie he's in whether it's good or bad.

This is about wizard named Balthazar who lives in modern day New York City. He has been searching for many centuries for the perfect kid who would be finally be his apprentice. He finally meets that kid and he trains him to be the one to save the world.

The acting is pretty good. Of course Nic Cage is more than good. I was also impressed at Alfred Molina. Jay Baruchel is very annoying here. I just wanted to punch him in the face.

People compare this movie for some reason to Harry Potter. I'll say now that this is no Potter. This film is no masterpiece like the Potter series but it still is good.

Overall, this is a pretty good family movie. I would turn a deaf ear to the critics and watch this. I rate this film 8/10.
57 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun, cynics need not apply
supercygnus17 July 2010
Jay B. is funny and charming in a believably nerdy fashion; Cage is at his quirky but charismatic best; the effects are plentiful and top notch; there's both a tragic love story and a young cute one plus a healthy dose of clever references to Disney's epic Fantasia (from which this film is partially inspired). If you read this list of attributes and it caught your interest and like the idea of centuries old sorcerers doing battle across New York in spectacular fashion then it wont matter what any other review says, you're going to want to check this flick out. It's funny, the cast is likable and there's a freaking dragon tearing up Chinatown (and that isn't even the finale!). On the other hand if all of this made you cringe, well nothing is going to persuade you to see it either. The truth is SORCERER'S APPRENTICE is fairly predictable, and the opening few minutes suffer a great deal from a completely distracting (and not needed) bit of narration but it is also solid matinée fun that I know I (and apparently the theater of folks I saw it with) really enjoyed.
111 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great flick for kids even...
echozdog31 August 2010
The kids & I were trying kill some time while Mom had a baking party at the house so we went to this with zero expectations. I was very pleasantly surprised. Nicolas Cage does a great job at the sorcerer who is looking for the "Prime Merlinian". He is the sorcerer who will inherit Merlin's powers. Our hero (David) is of course that person. The fun is in Cage's ability to be annoyed with the kid and like him at the same time. The CGI is enough to enhance the story but not overwhelm it. All four of my kids (ages 4-11) liked it. Some parts might be a little scary but not too bad (a dragon clomping around is all). Fun family flick.

PS I also liked that the hero held a door for a girl. I pointed that out to my boys who need to learn that.
73 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful Collection of Clichés and Special Effects with a Dreadful Nasal Lead Actor
claudio_carvalho20 November 2010
In 740 A.D., in Britain, the disciple of Merlin Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina) joins to the wicked Morgana le Fay (Alice Krige) and betrays his master. However, the other two disciples of Merlin Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) and Veronica (Monica Bellucci) defeat the evil and Balthazar traps Horvath in a magic vessel and Veronica merges with Morgana and they are trapped in another recipient. Along the centuries, Balthazar unsuccessfully seeks out the Prime Merlian, the only sorcerer capable to destroy Morgana, using a dragon ring and he finally finds him in the present days in Manhattan. The clumsy nerd Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel) is chosen by a magic dragon ring and Balthazar teaches magic to him. However the sorcerer's apprentice is in love with Becky Barnes (Teresa Palmer) and questions whether he is really the chosen one.

The deceptive "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is an awful collection of clichés and special effects with a dreadful nasal lead actor. The annoying Jay Baruchel is not funny and is also one of the worst actors I have ever seen, and he ruins the film. The predictable story uses all the imaginable clichés, with explosions, car races and special effects trying to be attractive. I do not understand how a producer invests millions of dollars in a film with Jay Baruchel in a lead role, and why Nicolas Cage and Monica Bellucci accepted to work in this flick. Jay Baruchel should use his payment to go to a speech and language pathologist and have acting classes. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "O Aprendiz de Feiticeiro" ("The Sorcerer's Apprentice")
58 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a movie featuring Nicolas Cage and Alfred Molina as dueling sorcerers shouldn't be this... bland
Quinoa198418 July 2010
Jerry Bruckheimer, you should usually know what you get and pay for with his films, but every so often one hopes that the bar will be raised. Sometimes the action and excitement works in delirious ways (a former Nicolas Cage vehicle, Con Air), and other times it sinks to new lows (Bad Boys II). Most other times, it's the home of the mall-cineplex brand of generic, mundane action movies that have competent direction and cinematography and are so over-produced that they sound much like the over-produced pop songs featured on the soundtrack. The Sorcerer's Apprentice, another Bruckheimer movie directed by Jon Turtletaub and starring Cage is no exception. But the potential that is squandered is what is kind of sad. Kind of, I say, since it could have been worse.

It's the old story of a young guy plucked up to be the "chosen one" because he has some kind of gift (or he's just interested, both are the case here), and has a 'master' (not a mentor, there's a difference I guess) who teaches him the ropes. Jay Baruchel and Cage play apprentice and master, and they're facing off against Alfred Molina's Horvath, one of three Merlin students who are now foes in 2010 vying to stop/open a vase with an evil witch in their who can destroy the world, yada yada, Baruchel has a girl he wants to be with and/or protect, so on so forth. The script is by the numbers, so much so that watching the trailer you only get a hint as to how laid-out everything is. If you guessed, for example, that there will be a moment when the young hero decides this isn't for him because it's "too hard", you guessed right. And if you guessed that he comes back, you just won the 64,000 dollars.

What's the potential here? Not so much Jay Baruchel, who once again plays the wimpy nerd who has a few clever one liners and is mostly just a by-the-book nerdy guy (worked much better in How to Train Your Dragon by the way). It's the older stars, Cage and Molina, that could have so much fun with their roles. On occasion they do, and one can tell they had some thrills putting on their old-style costumes- Cage in particular looking like he could be out of film-noir as much as a sorcerer- but the script gives them little to do except declare things to other characters and deliver exposition. It's sad especially to see Cage, who had two roles in a role where he came alive (Terence McDonaugh and Big Daddy), slumming it in ways reminiscent of Next or Bangkok Dangerous. He takes the role where it goes, but he's just really there, all apart of the bland action-movie veneer. Where's the excitement, even if it's bad excitement, when he flies a mechanical eagle across the sky or shoots fireballs?

Perhaps for children this should do; watching it I could imagine the Nostalgia Critic (or Nostalgia Critic Jr) taking it to task, years down the line. It has cool special effects and a modern soundtrack and a good-lookin' female supporting love interest for Baruchel who will probably get a lot of work soon. It's also got a wooden plot and only one really neat action/chase scene, in Times Square with mirrors. It's a mostly flat Hollywood endeavor with a few really talented people.
23 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh oh oh it's magic, you know, never believe it's not so.
hitchcockthelegend10 March 2013
The Sorcerer's Apprentice is directed by Jon Turteltaub and collectively written by Matt Lopez, Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (poem). It stars Nicolas Cage, Alfred Molina, Jay Baruchel, Teresa Palmer, Toby Kebbel and Monica Belluchi. Music is by Trevor Rabin and cinematography by Bojan Bazelli.

Film is based on the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment in Disney's Fantasia. The plot finds Baruchel as a science geek who discovers he has hidden talents as a magician when ancient sorcerer Balthazar Blake (Cage) appears in modern day Manhattan. Unfortunately this also means as apprentice to Balthazar, he is thrust into doing battle against Maxim Horvath (Molina), a skilled sorcerer of old who has some devilish plans he wants to enact.

The Disney/Cage/Turteltaub combination once again deliver family friendly high jinx for the target audience. It's an engaging fantasy adventure that has some thought put into the script, it zips along thanks to Turteltaub's direction and it features some high energy action backed up by excellent special effects. Molina is having a great time of it, so too is Kebbell, who looks like he has wandered in off the set of Velvet Goldmine. Cage less so it seems, his moody broody approach is a small detriment to the picture's over all fun ethic. Film also lacks an emotional core, though it does try to amend briefly with a tween romance thread, but it's no major problem as this is countered with some lovely stabs of humour and nifty film references.

Fun family film, flaws and all. Not for the highbrow though, obviously. 7/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flavorless Fantasy Rides Heavily on Effects But Lacks Genuine Heart
EUyeshima4 August 2010
It's sad to see the current state of Nicolas Cage's once-promising career stuck in Jerry Bruckheimer's series of bombastic blockbusters like this uninspired 2010 Disney fantasy adventure. One wonders if the actor's current financial woes have forced him to make heavily commercial choices at the expense of worthwhile projects like his Oscar-winning turn in Mike Figgis' 1995 "Leaving Las Vegas" or Spike Jonze's 2002 "Adaptation". Apparently, Cage is the one responsible for the concept behind this movie based only tangentially on the famous Mickey Mouse sequence in the 1940 animated classic, "Fantasia". There is a weak homage to the earlier film with a series of uncooperative wet mops, but the rest of the story is calculated, hokey Arthurian legend, the patchwork result of three credited scriptwriters, Matt Lopez, Doug Miro, and Carlo Bernard, who play strictly by the cliché guidebook.

The convoluted plot, such as it is, focuses on one of Merlin's apprentices, the noble Balthazar Blake, who must fight to save mankind from the evil machinations of Horvath, who of course, wants to destroy it. It's a grudge match that starts in 740 AD when Balthazar's lady, Veronica, gets stuck in a nesting doll called a grimhold with the malevolent Morgana le Fay. The action moves forward to Manhattan at the millennium where ten-year-old Dave Stutler meets the ageless Balthazar in an antique store. Complications ensue, as Horvath shows up and both mythical characters get locked into a vase for ten years. The story moves forward again to current-day New York with Balthazar finally freed and Veronica's liberation dependent on the discovery of an enchanted being called the Prime Merlinian. This turns out to be the now-twenty-year old Dave, a NYU physics student who epitomizes pure geekdom. Meanwhile, Morgana plans to gather an evil army to destroy the world when she gets freed. Dave also has a love interest in a comely student named Becky who has been his crush for the past decade.

As elaborate as the special effects are, they strike me as standard-issue and at times downright cynical with very little of a wow factor. The film is at its best only when Cage and Alfred Molina as Horvath are trying to outwit each other with competing feats of screen magic. It's a credit to both seasoned actors that neither embarrasses himself too badly in the superficial roles they accepted here. The same cannot be said for Jay Baruchel ("Knocked Up") who plays Dave as an excessive case study in constant awkwardness. The women fare even worse with Monica Bellucci and Alice Krige in barely-there roles as Veronica and Morgana, respectively. Teresa Palmer nicely underplays Becky, the girl of Dave's dreams, although her character's role in the climax is absurdly contrived. Leaden direction from Jon Turteltaub does little to offset the manipulative nature of this Disney-merchandise extravaganza, which by the end, leaves very little impact. In fact, I'm having trouble remembering it now.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Baruchel ruined it
alen-k6 December 2010
This Disney movie is fun and the effects are first grade.

Nicolas Cage is good as expected. Same goes to Alfred Molina and it's always nice to see Monica Bellucci.

BUT, there is one BIG problem and that is Jay Baruchel. Why, o why, they had to put him into this movie? He ruined it completely with his annoying appearance, voice and, above all, irritating not-at-all-talented acting. They should have find different actor for this role. I don't have someone in mind but this one is very wrong. Without him it would be a much better movie.

But, it's still entertaining, in spite of occasional not funny jokes which are forced into scenario. The story is bearable and neat effects pulls it out of average, slightly.
83 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical but fun blockbuster
helmutty24 July 2010
In USA, this is clashed against the highly superior Inception and therefore, it has not earn as much money as it is thought to be. Inception is a great movie with not so straight forward storyline. So there is a movie oppose to Inception, The Sorcerer's Apprentice with its straight forward cliché' story. Singapore is smart to release them in different weeks.

The story: How many times have this kind of 'be a hero and get the girl' premises been in movies. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is the latest movie to feature that. The only thing different is the cool action scenes. With much special effects as enhancement, the action scenes are candy eye which try to replace the cliché' story about a nerd training into an apprentice of a sorcerer and getting the girl he is so mad in love. I had fun seeing the characters whacking out each other with magical balls and powers. Trevor's score is good as usual.

Overall: I guess this is for those who don't like complex movies like Inception which need some thinking. This is a typical blockbuster movie with CGI and action scenes towering over its simple plot. I like it for its brave front of just having cool CGI action scenes to keep the story going. When the movie ended, I felt that I would actually like to see more adventures of them. It is good for what it is. A full-blown CGI action movie.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cage and Molina are perfect. Fun Film.
DUKEJBM17 July 2010
A mild surprise but a pleasant one at that. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect but the performances and the special effects elevate the film to better than average popcorn summer fun. This movie serves its purpose and brings a smile to your face. Cage and Molina are perfectly cast and deliver exceptional performances. In fact, the entire cast does a really nice job. The story doesn't exactly have tremendous depth but it sets up enough and certainly delivers enough emotion to make it worthwhile. Honestly, the characters give off a serious "Dr. Strange" vibe and for a Marvel fan like me, that's a very good thing.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Potentially good film spoiled by inept comedy and lead actor
svw4 January 2013
This fantasy film has a lot going for it: an engaging story, lavish Disney production, the exciting location of New York City, and a talented cast including Nic Cage, Alfred Molina, Jake Cherry and many strong support actors. Unfortunately all this was wasted by casting the dismally tedious Jay Baruchel in the lead role, and demanding that he act in a knockabout comedy style which is jarring and out of place. Cage and Baruchel share many scenes, but they appear to be acting in two different films. Without the incredibly annoying Baruchel and the poor script he was given, this could have been a great (non-comedy) film.
25 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sorcerer's Apprentice is another entertaining summer adventure movie from director Jon Turteltaub and producer Jerry Bruckheimer
tavm19 July 2010
You know, when I first heard about this movie loosely based on the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" animated sequence in Walt Disney's Fantasia and they showed a trailer which I watched with my movie theatre working friend and he said automatically, "That's gonna be good!" which occasionally made me cringe (though I never told him so) as it did here, well, I wasn't sure I really wanted to see this. Still, since I don't discriminate when I pick movies (unless there was something that I really wanted to see right away at the same time), I decided to humor him and go to this. I'm glad I did since while the beginning had lots of exposition that I could take or leave, at least that set up some exciting sequences later on and while the humor that appeared early on wasn't very funny, it did have me laugh a little more as the picture went on. Oh, and yes, there was indeed a sequence inspired from that Mickey Mouse cartoon scene with that classic orchestral accompaniment written by Paul Dukas that was pretty amusing, if not hilarious. So kudos to Nicolas Cage (Balthazar), Jay Baruchel (Dave), Alfred Molina (Horvath), Teresa Palmer (Becky), Toby Kebbell (Drake Stone), Monica Bellucci (Veronica), and Alice Krige (Morgana) along with director Jon Turteltaub and especially, producer Jerry Bruckheimer for providing such fine entertainment for this pretty good summer movie season we're having so far. Yes, that's a recommendation!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
bob-rutzel-118 January 2011
Balthazar (Cage) is a Sorcerer in the present day and finds Dave (Baruchel) who will become his apprentice to help defeat Horvath (Molina) another Sorcerer who has designs on ending the known world. This can't be good.

I was afraid there would be too much CGI in here, but I think the right mix was found. When you have Sorcerers you know you are going to see magic and these days you need CGI - otherwise what's the point?

This was highly entertaining and good family fun.

Okay, some downsides. Okay, picky ones. Dave was portrayed as too GEEKY and, at times, mostly in the beginning as a 20-yr old, he was annoying. Also when he broke with Balthazar and says he cannot do it (defeat Horvath), the very next scene he is in has him backing Balthazar up and getting him out of Horvath's clutches. What changed his mind? Where was the epiphany?

Also, here Dave has an opportunity to save the world and he is more concerned about being next to Becky (Palmer) his love interest. The enormity of the world-saving-bit hasn't really hit home with him. Yes, yes, we know about conflict, hormones, indecision, and a moment of truth, but this went too far into unbelievable even for an unbelievable story about Sorcerers in the modern world.

However, the real winner in here is Molina's Horvath. Horvath is kind of a nice bad-guy who we wished was a good guy. He played it perfectly mixing comedy with meaness. The interplay between Balthazar and Horvath was very good and issued some good lines. For the most part, Molina's Horvath saves the movie.

As for Nicolas Cage, he was the straight man (um good Sorcerer) in all of this and played the part perfectly.

All in all a good time for the family.

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: No.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you apt to miss the best summer flicks? Don't skip this app, its great!
inkblot115 August 2010
Balthazar (Nicolas Cage) was one of the three apprentices to the great Merlin, nearly 1300 years ago. The other two, Veronica (Monica Bellucci) and Horvath (Alfred Molina) were all quite skilled at sorcery but, one foul day, Horvath turned to the dark side. Now, his master was Merlin's foe, Morgana Le Fey (Alice Krige). While attempting to destroy Merlin, Balthazar watched helplessly as Morgana invaded Veronica's being, a sacrifice she made for him. It took all of Balthazar's power, over Horvath's prowess, to encase Morgana in a "grim", a sort of nesting doll for evildoers. Flash forward to modern times. Balthazar runs a magic shop in Manhattan and is constantly searching for an apprentice to fit Merlin's ring, a ring that will bring down Morgana and Horvath for all time. So far, no luck. But, on a school trip, Dave (Jay Baruchel) wandered into the shop and got into the middle of another fight between Balthazar and Horvath. The ring jumped onto Dave's finger, signally him as the chosen one. Horvath turned his wrath to the young lad and to save Dave, Balty got himself and Horvy locked into a large covered urn. Unhappily, Dave accidentally dropped the grim in the street. Now, ten years later, the two great magicians have broken out and are ready to do battle again. They both find Dave, presently an excellent physics student at NYU, with Balthazar making him his true apprentice and Horvath out to defeat them both. Love could complicate things, for Dave has his eye on a pretty co-ed, Becky, and Horvath decides he needs a punk-looking app, too. The "grim", incidentally, was picked up by a lady from Chinatown, where it has been kept for 10 years. Will Morgana be released, along with Veronina, and who will win the battle of the sorcerers? This film is excellent entertainment, despite what you may have heard. The acting is stellar, for Cage is one of the finest American thespians ever to appear on screen and Molina, Baruchel, Bellucci, Krige and all of the others do very fine work, too. Incidentally, for those who care, Cage looks terrific and his voice is as seductive as ever. Moving on, the art direction of the film is also superlative, with tremendous sets, costumes, and special effects. It rates a 10+ on the wow-o-meter. With a great story and an unflagging direction, what more could one truly want? Also, watch out for the modern take on Mickey Mouses' famous cartoon of the same name. In brief, if you have read lukewarm reviews of this flick, don't you believe it! This is one "app" you must choose, all fans of cinema, so get off your duff and out the door. Today.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot is really nothing new, but the movie itself is fun enough on its own.
Ryan_MYeah26 July 2010
This weekend, I got to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the latest Disney released film from producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The plot of the movie is pretty much textbook Bruckheimer, like his film Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time which was released earlier in the year. While it's not quite as good as Prince of Persia, The Sorcerer's Apprentice is still not bad.

The premise is simple enough. Dave Stutler (Played in his youth by Jake Cherry), is a kid who one day wandered into a bizarre shop, run by an out of the ordinary man named Balthazar Blake (Played by Nicolas Cage), a sorcerer. Blake offered him a mysterious ring shaped like a dragon, and after a bit of unfortunate mishaps, Dave set free Blake's arch-nemesis Maxim Horvath (Played by Alfred Molina). Cut to ten years later where Dave (Now played by Jay Baruchel) is in college, and has become quite the physics nerds, and fallen in love with an old classmate (Played by Teresa Palmer). But now, Balthazar is back, and tells Dave that the ring means he is the Prime-Merlinian, a powerful wizard who will become the successor of Merlin himself. Dave becomes Balthazar's apprentice, and together the two must stop Horvath, and an evil sorceress from, you guessed it, taking over the world.

So, yeah, story is been there, done that. Awkward hero and scary mentor, threat of global apocalypse, simplistic action plot, silly comic relief, awkward romance, it's all there. But, it's what the movie does with that is why it's so fun, and the action is actually fun to watch. Fast Paced, Well staged, and I have no problems with the pacing, except for the prologue which feels pretty rushed, and the ending which feels rushed and kind of abrupt as well.

Performances in the movie are fun too. Jay Baruchel and Nicolas Cage's chemistry on screen is so much fun, not only that, but they're good on their own as well. I want to give some serious credit to Alfred Molina as well, who's practically made a career out of being a scene stealer in any movie he's in. The rest of the cast, while not fully developed, most of them are fun to watch.

The tech design of this movie is cool too. The visuals are nice to look at, the sound mix and design is great, and the production design is also cleverly done. Nice cinematography too, and Trevor Rabin provides a typical, yet not too shabby orchestral score.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is far from perfect. It's no Inception or Toy Story 3, but if you're looking for a fun, entertaining popcorn flick to spend two hours at the cinema, then this one isn't a bad choice.

I give it **1/2 out of ****
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as people are making out...Take it with a pinch of salt!
djsneakypeaky21 July 2010
There are quite a few negative reviews here on IMDb and after watching this movie I decided to give my opinion.

If you liked 'She's Out Of My League' chances are that you'll like 'Sorcerer's Apprentice'. Keep in mind that this film is aimed at a younger audience.

Jay Baruchel has got to be one of the luckiest actors at the moment after recently being paired up with the incredibly beautiful Alice Eve and now in this film with the gorgeous Teresa Palmer.

There are people who say that the writing is cheesy but what do you expect from a film aimed at kids. I enjoyed the film and at times found myself laughing out loud.

Cage provides decent acting in his role, considerably better than he was in the abomination that was 'Kick Ass'. Baruchel's acting is very much like he was in 'She's Out Of My League' but he does it well enough so why change it if he's getting movie offers, plus he's still young enough to develop his repertoire.

Some people have made reference to the special effects not being brilliant but I didn't notice much difference to the stuff you'd see in the Harry Potter films.

To sum up - Maybe not a big enough film to go and see at the cinema but can easily fill a slot on a lazy afternoon in-front of the television.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, witty and edgy. An enjoyable modern Disney film.
amesmonde11 January 2011
After a search of more than a thousand years, Sorcerer Balthazar Blank (Nicholas Cage) must recruit an apprentice to become the successor to the infamous Merlin. However, Horvath (Alfred Molina) has other plans, to resurrect Morgana (Alice Krige) to take over the world.

Frequent Disney film director Jon Turteltaub delivers a wonderful fantasy family film set in present day New York. The special effects and action set-ups are first rate, as to are the cast which includes the ever reliable and diverse Toby Kebbell of RocknRolla (2008) and Prince of Persia(2010) and Italian beauty Monica Bellucci to name a few. Cage is on surprisingly likable good form and looks particular comfortable in his role.

At first lead actor Jay Baruchel as Dave, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, is annoying, a mix of a bad impression of Chris Kattan's Corky Romano voice and gawkiness,who is reminiscent of a young Mike Myers. But as the film progresses he becomes as likable as the dancing mops, magic fights and sorcery stand off's.

It's has modern Disney stamped all over it, it's a little darker, with a witty and edgy screenplay by a number of competent writers. All in all its a great take on the elements of classic magical Disney films and other fantasy timeless tales.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give this poor movie a break it was made for kids!
Jack_Luver8710 August 2010
First I should start off saying I love all Jerry Bruckheimer productions, with the exception of CSI: Miami, but that is more David Caruso then the show. I also feel I should admit that I was excited about this movie since I first saw the previews.

That being said I felt the movie was very well put together in some ways not so much in others. I never read reviews until after I see a movie to be able to make my own ideas about it. Then I check to see it I'm in the minority. I'm shocked to say in this film I was. I felt that Nicholas Cage and Jay Baruchel did very well with the parts they were given. I do wish they had more screen time to gel a little better. Alfred Molina as usual does a wonderful job as the evil villain, but I wish his apprentice Toby Kebbell got more screen time. Some of the love story plot could have been given up for more magic scenes. I felt that Dave and Becky didn't really need all that screen time. I feel the movie is geared toward a younger audiences so to compare it to Inception is unfair no 10 year old is going to get that plot what so ever. Yes it was very predictable to me but not to my 5 year old sitting next to me. I went in expecting a well acted, predictable, easy plot, with some things that would make me chuckle, And that's exactly what I got.

Overall the plot was easily understandable, the actions a little predictable, and the chemistry a little off with some of the characters. However give it a break I'm 23 and a mother of 4, and with all the children's movies I have seen this summer this is one I will actually buy when it come to DVD.

Also I just have to say I love the main song Secrets by Onerepublic I have had it stuck in my head since I left the theater!
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An exhilarating blast that greatly adapts the classic fairy tale
MCMAYNERBERRY16 July 2010
Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. Though cheesy and a bit pop-cultured, this film proves that classics can be resurrected with the proper people working with it. The Sorcerer's Apprentice 10/10
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie, sad it never got a sequel
Laura_Ratings19 April 2022
Good movie to watch. It's quite entertaining and has a good story, though I would have liked to see more backstory. It's sad that the movie never got a sequel, the movie/story had so much more potential to become a succesful series. I like to rewatch the movie from time to time and it's still entertaining each time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
AllTheBuzz8 July 2010
Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

With a wonderful nod to the original Sorcerer's Apprentice scene in Fantasia, this is a fun summertime adventure for the entire family. The timing is perfect for a hit, being that this summer's run has so far been pretty dry, outside of a couple of films. The magic, adventure, humor and visuals are all pretty darned good in this movie.

I invite all to don their "old man shoes" and settle in for an absolute magical adventure we have not seen the likes of in several years now.
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.