Journeyman (TV Series 2007– ) Poster

(2007– )

A show with potential were it not cancelled so soon
Mel J13 March 2008
'Journeyman' is one of those shows which was slow to start but did eventually find its feet and deliver an interesting idea that posed many possible stories to explore. As it was, morons at NBC (the American television company which produced it) decided to cut short the endless possibilities that the show never had the chance to portrayed by cancelling it after the first season. Yet another potentially good show cancelled to, no doubt, make way for more rubbish reality shows which seem to be endlessly churned out these days.

The show revolved around Dan Vasser, a journalist who lives with his loving wife Katie and their young son Zack. He lives a busy but normal life until the day when he steps into a taxi and ends up suddenly finding himself back in time, circa the 1960s. As the show progresses we learn that Dan has the ability to jump back and forward in time, with the goal of altering events for the better. He is guided slightly by Livia, his thought-to-be dead former girlfriend who he finds out faked her death because she too has time travelling abilities.

Initially, it was hard to like anyone but Dan and Livia. While these two came across as fairly likable characters who carry the show well, Katie Vasser came across as a nagging irritation who seemed to think preserving her precious normality was more important than saving people's lives while Dan's cop brother Jack was depicted to be bitter and childish to allow his jealousies to cloud his realisation that there was something else going on with Dan rather than believing him to be unhinged. However, towards the end of the season, Katie and Jack were fleshed out and became easier to relate to as they accepted Dan's abilities.

'Journeyman' walked a fine line between being a time travelling sci-fi show, the 2007 version of 'Quantum Leap', and being a drama that portrayed the difficulties in maintaining a normal family life in the face of a troublesome, hectic 'job'. It would have been interesting to see how Dan and Katie preserved their life as the years passed or even how their son coped if he found out the full truth when he was older. The show also dealt with interesting story lines such as Dan accidentally changing his own future so that he had a daughter instead of a son, leaving him with painful dilemma of having to erase her to get his son back.

As I said, this show had much potential and could have explored many issues if it had the chance. It certainly deserved more than one season to prove itself and to build a fanbase. Here's hoping someone with sense at NBC will reconsider and give 'Journeyman' that chance.
35 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I just CAN'T believe this show is to be cancelled
Greg7526 January 2008
Watching this series from a European point of view probably doesn't differ much from an American one, but, even though I've been a series buff for quite some time now, I've seen the 13 episodes in a row and have NEVER been that excited for a very long time. The potential of "Journeyman" is so rich and dense that the first season only explores an infinitesimal proportion of it. That's what differs from many shows, which stand out on their first episodes, but then keep on somewhat repeat themselves. Here, the multiple layers (Livia's point of view, scientific point of view, time travel paradoxes) add up to a totally unpredictable show, at the same time totally down-to-earth and philosophically challenged. And I love the fact that it never relies on the Sci-Fi usual excuses to make the audience believe in what's going on.

Sure there are some minor flaws, like the fact that no one (except Zack) ever sees Dan ACTUALLY disappear or appear (not very believable IMHO), but otherwise the whole show is fantastic, and this is going to be HUGE when it comes to Europe.

I can't believe it probably won't be renewed for a 2nd season & more. The ratings are important, sure, but the blooming cult following this first season would increase with a further development of the show. Characters and cast are just totally great So, people at NBC, give yourselves a little more time before definitely calling it quits. PLEASE DON'T CANCEL JOURNEYMAN ! This was my plea to the NBC execs from Paris France, on a nice Saturday afternoon. (and please forgive my English mistakes, don't worry I understood the show perfectly well :)
49 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Incredibly Awesome Series
fyrmedic-130 November 2007
Thank goodness for my DVR. After having recorded the first 10 episodes of Journeyman, I thought I better take the time to check this series out. I loved the series Quantum Leap and was eagerly anticipating Journeyman. I was not disappointed. I watched the first five episodes back to back. I couldn't turn the television off. I took a few days off and then watched the remaining episodes. Again, I'm really enjoying this series and can't wait to see the episode on December 13th. The story lines are wonderfully thought out and the acting is superb. If you've read any other comments that speak unfavorably about the comparisons between Journeyman and Quantum Leap (two totally different plots), Kevin McKidd's accent (I detected none...but I am not a linguist by profession!), or a perceived notion the successive episodes do not relate to each other (they absolutely do tie in together), please take them with a grain of salt. Each episode keeps me at the edge of my with the anticipation of what's going to happen next. I urge everybody to give Journeyman a chance.
91 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Rip-off isn't just harsh ... it's untrue
oakyo411717 December 2007
Everyone was up in arms when the show started about what a rip-off it was of The Time Traveler's Wife (and yes, I read it, and yes, I loved it)--but the fact is, the only thing it has in common with the book is that it's about a dude who travels, and, oh, his wife happens to know about it. The similarities pretty much end there, and as the show continues, it has taken on a fabulous life of its own.

(Honestly, will every time travel tale hereafter be compared to TTW, if it happens to include a traveler who can actually make other people believe that's what's happening? It's like comparing Moonlight to Buffy just because they both had a scene where the woman allowed the vampire to drink from them. There are so many sci-fi tales that can be interpreted in so many different ways; there's no need to compare everything.)

AND YES, it is fabulous. The characters are well-drawn and interesting and complex; the writers are doing a wonderful job with continuity (hello, $20 bill!); and there's a new mystery introduced with each episode. But, as happens with most of the better shows that are undiscovered gems, word on the street is that an axing is in the near future. But of course. Why waste time nurturing it when there's a plethora of reality TV to be scheduled?
62 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Truly a gem
eclectro22 November 2007
I do not enjoy shows about time travel, as it seems to be an overworked plot device. But the show has skillfully done away with any preconceptions that may exist about time travel and is exploring new dynamics that I have not seen before. All the acting is superb. This show is better than Heroes this season, and those who say differently have not been watching Journeyman. If there was ever a reason to give a show another chance, this would be it. After a few episodes of watching it because it happened to follow Heroes, I suddenly realized that this was my favorite show on TV. This is definitely "appointment TV" for me. People really need to give this one a chance.
96 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The details elevate this show to greatness, and beyond.
Cimta-16 November 2007
Journeyman is a prime example of a creative show that builds upon ideas and concepts that were established by shows before it. It is a show that feels polished, and holds a unique style to it. The concept of time travel is realistically portrayed, while the the periods in time are very accurately depicted (including many subtleties which add to the nostalgia). Everything just fits; the acting is superb, and the music is spot on. Every week this show manages to captivate me, and I really hope it sticks around. Overall, Journeyman is a fresh, modern take on the time travel genre as a whole. Anyone who is still reading this review should really go watch this show instead.
107 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
NBC's best show.
chris_finnerty20 December 2007
Without a doubt, the best show on on the big 3. Hopefully NBC can overcome it's recent history of myopic behavior and give this show a chance to catch, something they didn't do for Studio 60.

I recently was telling a friend that I've never seen a show that was cast so perfectly. I had to check on IMDb just to see if the actors that play the characters Dan and Jack Vassar were brothers in real life. The cast is outstanding, the writing is intelligent and compelling. Very rarely do I get excited about watching a show, but I truly look forward to every episode, and the show keeps getting better and better!

I just read on a forum that NBC has yet to resign the series... I hope they get their act together as I am quite honestly disheartened right now :( If you haven't seen the show you're missing out on something great!
47 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A very enjoyable show to watch !
derek_t_robertson8 January 2008
This show has not really been advertised in the U.K. very well by the TV company showing it but after seeing the first episode, I found it very quickly became additive to watch. The different characters story lines have got very good twist and turns in the episodes, making me trying to guess what was going to happen next. As I watched each episode, I found that actions happening made me think back to other episodes and then saw the connections to that action. Hats of to the writers as they continue to write great story lines, and create edge of the seat watching. It will be a great shame if the show is cancelled as I am looking forward to seeing more episodes of this great show.
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Best New Show of the Season!
juanita21 October 2007
What sets this series apart from other time travel shows like Quantum Leap, is that it actually takes a serious look at how being tossed around in time would effect a person's life and relationships. This show also takes a more realistic view of marriage than most. You have two people totally devoted to one another, but it's still hard, especially when the totally unexpected enters into the mix. The real center of this show isn't time travel, but relationships. Each one of Dan's assignments has dealt with the central theme of broken relationships and how they affect the bigger picture; which is exactly the situation that Dan is dealing with in his own life. This show truly stands out from just about anything I've seen before. I hope that NBC knows what it has and decides to invest in it. I think it's a classic already.
86 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
It will be Missed!!!
ayaa197726 December 2007
Let me start with this statement: I LOVE THE SHOW!! It is one of the best of this year, and this year featured quite excellent shows, Pushing Daisies, Aliens in America, Chuck, Reaper, and Gossip Girl, to name a few. Alas the rating system failed the show and the plug is almost pulled off that show. However the show is amazing and it can be considered as a mini series, an excellent one.

I want to mention the acting, it was good across the board even though the stars of the show aren't exactly household names. Kevin Mckidd as Dan did an excellent job, it seems that American networks can always rely on Brits to deliver. As for the two leading females Gretchen Egolf who plays the wife Katie, and the extremely beautiful Moon Bloodgood who plays Livia the past lover and fellow time travelers, they both fit right in. The other supporting characters and guest stars did a fairly good job. The show started formulaic, not that there is anything wrong with that, but as the episodes progressed, the show evolved and became much more interesting as the stakes became bigger, that started with episode 5 "The Legend of Dylan McCleen". The consequences and the fall out from that episode effected the outcome of the following episodes. Finally someone wrote that this is show is "Truly a Gem" and I can't agree more, it is a gem that will be missed come 2008.
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Still holds up today in 2017
kmaestro2716 May 2017
I loved this show when it first premiered in 2007 and after 3 episodes I lost track of it. I recently found all 13 episodes online and watched them. Journeyman pushes all the right emotional buttons and even has a conclusion you should be satisfied with. Seems they knew they were cancelled and wrapped things up, somewhat, in the final ep. This series had many more stories to tell and it is a tremendous shame it will never happen. Four or five seasons would have been perfect and we'd now be enjoying them in syndication. Journeyman will be the first thing I blurt out when getting together with friends and talking about TV and shows that were axed too, too soon. I hope you are able to find it and watch it yourself. I rarely review shows and I don't toss around "10" ratings willy nilly. Thank you for reading my thoughts on this matter.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I hope to see you again Journeyman.
subroutine624 September 2008
This is a great show. I am glad that all the episodes are now running in entirety on the Hulu site. I got to watch the series all over again. I hate that it was canceled. I guess the show wasn't stupid enough or it didn't have a bachelor banging a group of gold diggers, strangers living in a reality house or old comedian helping people pick numbered cases.

I really looked forward to this show coming on every week. But you never know, Family Guy came back, Firefly returned as a movie, so anything can happen I suppose if the fans are noisy enough. I would rather see it on a different network though, USA if you wanna keep it in the NBC family. It seems like this show is a better fit for USA anyway.

Until then, go watch the show online, the whole series is available. I hope to see you again Journeyman.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A very good 1st season that could get even better if given a 2nd seaaon.
Kane D Williams13 July 2008
I agree that it's a good show. Kind of a Quantum Leap for the Naughties. I find Livia's character intriguing. How long as she been travelling through time, has she ever used her 'gift' for personal gains? How is Dan and Livia aging differently to the rest of mankind? Will His wife grow old whilst he is still in his 40's etc? Is Elliot Langley a proper good guy? Why do they have this gift? Is the commet thing a red herring? etc, etc...

This show needs at least another series to see how it does. I'm sure with the right marketing it would get more viewers.

All in all, a quality show, that although not the best on TV, certainly very good.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The San Fransisco Treat
yoshids-129 May 2008
As with Firefly, Freaks and Geeks, Jerico, Sports Night and many other shows, this is one of those gems that will live on in DVD/BLUERAY format. You buy it, then share it and those fortunate to watch them will also agree that it shouldn't have been canceled. The problem was marketing and time slot. NBC really needs to reevaluate the department in charge of these choices and possibly restructure it. Too many shows start and loose funding or support because they are afraid that it will end up loosing the company money. So they cancel a show and give it a try with a completely new show the next year. The problem with this is that it takes about 1 season to get characters to where they need to be for a group of people to really like a show. And with todays' Metacritic and IMDb star/score systems in place, its just a matter of time for people to research what's hot and whats not. This show would have eventually been a 7.5/10ish show which definitely would stir curiosity. The only good thing from this cancellation is that it will stand in history to be a great show for the little time it could have the spot lite. And that season after season, it would not be drawn out and destroyed. If you have the time, give this time traveler a chance. I guarantee you will enjoy it. McKidd is awesome here as he was in Rome and I look forward to Thor.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Intelligent Show-- fun to watch
cewtv3 May 2008
I think this is a great show. And it comes into this without T&A, guns, or over-hyped out-of-place excitement. Journeyman is a prime example of a creative show that builds upon ideas and concepts that were established by shows before it. Tho similar to other time travel shows like Quantum Leap, what sets this series apart is that it actually takes a serious look at how being tossed around in time would effect a person's life and relationships. It is a show that feels polished, and holds a unique style to it. The concept of time travel is realistically portrayed, while the periods in time are very accurately depicted (including many nostalgic details). Everything just fits and the acting is superb. Every week this show manages to captivate me, and I really want it to stick around. Marriage is hard, especially when the totally unexpected enters into the mix. The real center of this show isn't time travel, but relationships. Each one of Dan's assignments has dealt with the central theme of broken relationships and how they affect the bigger picture; which is exactly the situation that Dan is dealing with in his own life. This show truly stands out. I can only hope that NBC knows what it has and decides to invest in it for several more seasons. As someone else here in the comments said, I think it's a classic already. But, then, what would I know-- I'm just a viewer who likes intelligent shows featuring intelligent characters trying to make do in unexpected situations.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The best show on TV!
jlca6114 January 2008
I Love This Show!!!

Journeyman is a rare gem in network TV. From the moment I saw the pilot, I got hooked, and Journeyman became my favorite TV show, period. Why NBC has decided to pull the plug on Journeyman baffles me, because network TV NEEDS shows like Journeyman, or they'll face extinction.

The acting is superb and the story lines are engaging and thought provoking. I can't remember the last time I felt this way about a TV show. In fact, Monday nights to me were appointment TV for Journeyman. I just couldn't wait for the next episode to find out where would Dan Vasser go on his next time travel and how he will cope to keep his marriage and job in the process.

A big THANK YOU TO Kevin Falls and the entire cast a crew of Journeyman for giving their very best for 13 amazing and extraordinary episodes. I hope we get to see many more of them.

Please NBC, reverse course and bring back Journeyman! How about a marathon to entice new viewers while keeping your loyal fans happy, huh? I really miss this show.

In case you didn't know, there's a "Rice-A-Roni" campaign, similar to what Jericho fans did with the nuts, to convince NBC executives to bring back Journeyman. There are also online petitions and a letter and e-mail campaign to NBC executives to persuade them to reverse course on their decision to cancel Journeyman. There's more information on the "12 Days of Journeyman" thread in the Journeyman Board on www.NBC.com.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Best Show on Television
snagswolf18 December 2007
For any fan of Sci-Fi, this show has it all. Time travel, plot twists, and characters who you really care about. With the show teetering on the brink of cancellation, NBC needs to step up and take a stand behind quality.

The show is about Dan, who unexpectedly jumps back in time, guided by some unknown (as yet) force. His jumps are always to the past (and then back to his present), and within the past 40 or so years. In each episode he has a 'mission' (which he has to figure out what it is) to fix something that went wrong in the past.

Things he changes in the past affect his present time, so as he jumps back and forth, he gets to see the results of his changes. Sometimes the changes are good, and sometimes they aren't.

For example, in one episode he changes something in the past, which results in a present change of him having a daughter instead of a son. His wife, who knows about his time traveling, knows nothing about the son he talks about, and is frightened that he's going to go back in time and change things to take away her daughter.

The season started a bit slowly, with the writers having to resolve the conflict of Dan's wife and brother not knowing about his time jumping, but now that they're on board, the show is really taking off. All of the actors are top notch, and they bring out the human side of their characters.

Please please please bring this show back. It's a welcome refuge in the blizzard of dumbed-down reality shows. If NBC does decide to cancel it, hopefully it will have a second life on another network.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Journeyman is the best show on TV
pgreene434227 May 2008
I consider this to be one of the best shows that I have ever seen. I wish there was some way to bring this show back. My daughter and I loved every episode. The storyline was new every week it was interesting and I loved the way the story evolved. I could not wait to see what would happen next.

The stars were surprising and the whole cast is talented.

I never comment on TV or movies, but I felt compelled to comment on this one.

I hope all the viewers make their voices heard and bring this one back.

Devastated fan.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Bring it back!
bigcal2110 May 2008
NBC, if you bring this one back, I promise to watch it religiously! This show was full of wonderful material... yes, I thought it was similar to Quantum Leap via storyline, but quantum physics lies at the heart of time travel.

I wish that the writers' strike had not interfered with good programming, and I understand that the strike happened for legitimate reasons, but this show (it's actors, and it's viewers) should not suffer as a result of bad timing. Bring it back, please! My parents like it. My aunt and cousin like it. My friends like it. And all the happy people will like it once you begin to air this series again. If you have to, start off with repeats of the first season. See how ratings do now, and then coax the original cast into recording new episodes right away. I know that'll work. Who's with me?
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Quantum Leap for the New Millennium!
mocha82646 April 2008
I love this show! If you were a Quantum Leap, Sam Beckett watching junkie, like myself, then you will love Journeyman. Lead actor, Kevin McKidd, isn't bad to look at either. I also like Jouneyman because it's different from the usual shows the media has been trying to reconstrue and repeat for the past decade. Although, it is set upon a them like Quantum Leap (jumping into the past to make right what once went wrong), it's been a long time since we've had a show that actually requires the use of one's attentions and intellect. Yes, LOST is good, but let's face it, it doesn't require that much brainpower to figure out that whatever you think is happening - isn't. Again, Journeyman is a refreshing series that takes a blast from the past and makes it present. I urge anyone interested in action, sci-fiction, and thoughtful entertainment, to watch.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Journeyman is a fresh, new show riddled with talent
Lauren Nieman6 December 2007
I have to disagree with some of the previous comments about this show. The claims that the show is "slow-paced" are exactly what's wrong with the world today. We are simply too impatient. We don't have time to sit down with our families to enjoy a nice dinner anymore, so we run out to the nearest McDonald's drive-thru to grab some supper. We don't have time to do hardly anything anymore. We all want answers right now; we don't have time to wait, which is incredibly ironic, considering the show's time-traveling plot.

Maybe Journeyman isn't the sex and drug filled typical show your are used to, but that's what is so refreshing about it. Yes, you may not get answers in the first fifteen minutes, but you just have to wait it out and see. That's partly what makes this show so great - you never know exactly what's going to happen or why he is intervening with these people's lives and what may come of it. Also, the relationships portrayed by these talented actors keep unraveling as the story progresses, which keeps you wanting more. You feel for basically every character in the show and wonder how each one of their stories will end. So sit back and enjoy watching T.V. for once! Yes, the characters are faced with some tough conflicts, but overall, the message this show is sending is a positive one: Help people; save lives. While not everyone has the opportunity to travel back in time and change the world, they can still change lives in the present.

Some people are irritated with the fact that they, and the main character himself, have no idea why he is traveling through time. We don't know who sent him or why, but that is the beauty of this show! It leaves it open to interpretation. Whatever you believe in, whether it be God or any higher being or even science, regardless of whether or not you think travel to be actually possible, this show lets you decide.

The fact this show does not have as high of ratings as NBC would like is not due to the show itself. The placement of the show, following the new comedy, "Chuck," and famous "Heroes" series is not the best time slot for it. Journeyman is a show the entire family could watch and enjoy and therefore it should have the slot from 8-9 on another night, like Wednesday for example. The only night I actually watch NBC is Monday and occasionally Thursday, however I watch FOX and ABC more than just one night a week. Because NBC has mistakenly placed all their good shows consecutively on one night, of course one of them is going to fail because it is very uncommon for people to watch TV for three hours straight on one channel only.

So please, give Journeyman a try, and have faith in the show. Allow yourself to truly get into it and you will be rewarded.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Journeyman is the best show on television
rad_ar28 November 2007
I actually thought Journeyman got off to a slow start. The time-traveling seemed very cheesy and I thought for sure that, as in many other shows, Dan would lose his family so he could be a sufficiently tortured character to go on these escapades (like Gary in 'Early Edition'). When he didn't, I thought maybe, just maybe, the show had a chance. I was right.

Every one of the episodes has gotten progressively better until I was floored by the most recently aired episode to this writing (Episode 10). The fact that this show is about time travel is almost irrelevant. I find myself caught up in the story, Dan's story, and just how he connects with Livia, makes excuses for himself with his boss, struggles to keep his family together, and actually manages to have his disappearances not be witnessed (except by Zack)! But especially nice for me is the fact that they can do all this and have such an amazing show and still have it be squeaky-clean. No, you don't have to have sex and the f-word in a show to make it worth watching. This is the best, smartest show I've seen on TV in years, and I hope it stays around for a good long while.
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The show composed entirely of plot points.
MCKirner25 October 2007
Remember in Spider-man 3 when Peter says something like "I'm really happy" to Mary-Jane and then a meteorite falls from the sky? That was an obvious plot device. The subtext of that scene: "Hey, this status quo needs to be changed. I wonder if a plot device would fall from the sky."

With that said, Journeyman's take on the plot point and plot device makes Spider-man 3 look like a Tarkovsky or Godard masterpiece. If you turn your head for just a second, you'll miss the last seven plot points spouted by such characters as "Random Science Guy" that works with Dan at the newspaper or "Obituary Man," who, for some strange reason, appears for five minutes just to tell us about every person who ever died in San Francisco.

Then, there's the pacing of the show. In the second episode, Dan delivers a baby on a plane and his wife accepts his random sojourns through time. Can you say "Jumped the shark?" By the third episode, Dan's wife and fellow time-traveling ex-girlfriend both find out (and subsequently accept) the fact that Dan sees his ex in the past and is married to her best friend in the future. The wife/ex-girlfriend subplot should contain a perfectly good premise for character tension and drama. However, the writers of this show decided that any tension between characters should get summed up by the end of the page. More often than not, this requires one character to just say "I'm OK with you seeing your ex/time-traveling/missing work/marring my girlfriend/leaving me on the street." I guess I missed that lecture in Screen writing class, the one where I learned to remove all recurring drama by having totally honest characters whose arguments never last longer than a minute and end with everyone accepting the other person's reasons.

Journeyman is an uplifting experience. When watching it, one realizes that yes, they too can write for television because they'll put any re-envisioning of an 80s series on screen. It's also a great show because you don't need to follow it from the beginning; in fact, you can tune in for just a few minutes whenever you want because of the incessant recounting of past plot points. In case you missed my sarcasm, this show is awful. But, I'll keep watching it until they cancel it next week.
48 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It felt like a close friend died
Killa4210 January 2008
No Spoilers Here

This was a great series. All of the actors did an A+ job, every moment was driving, and also, McKidd is great. You have to see each episode to understand what's going on... considering that the end explains the beginning. It also helps to not compare this to other shows such as Quantum Leap, Sliders, or even Time Trax, being that this is a very different show. Unlike the others; this one has a guy going back in time at random for reasons always vague at first. Dan (McKidd) and his supposed diseased lover figures out each quest together while Dan continues to keep his family in one piece. Totally worth seeing!
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Been on this Journey Before
brooksm25014 September 2007
I saw the pilot for the show on a free Blockbuster DVD. I was hoping to like it more, especially since I like the main actors. But 10 minutes into this one, and I knew I was just watching another formulaic network show.

There are definitely some interesting twists in the pilot; however, the writers insist on establishing atmosphere and introducing characters in such a heavy-handed/seen-it-a-million-times kind of way.

Some comments have been made about make McKidd's accent -- believe me, if you saw him in a British film like the very fine, very intense "Dog Soldiers," you'd be reaching for the subtitles button in a hurry. As for Moon Bloodgood, who always lights up the screen, it's been noted that she was in the short-lived "Daybreak," which also had a time shifting premise. That was a far superior show, which was not afraid to keep us off balance (and that might have spelled its demise), but it was an engaging, challenging and enjoyable viewing experience. Even when I really didn't know exactly what was going on, I was hooked strongly enough to endure the discomfort of watching six unaired episodes online.

I can't predict if this show is going to make it because I'm not a good judge of mass-market appeal. It's obvious from the pilot that nothing in "Journeyman" will get you too excited or unsettled. It's a by-the-numbers network narcotic that will wash over you, without disturbing your TV expectations. So sad to say, but my first trip with the "Journeyman" will be my last one.
81 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?