Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011–2019) Poster

(2011–2019)

3,988 Reviews
It could have been the best TV series ever made...
danielkpkp12 May 2020
Till season 7 very likely the best TV show ever made in terms of suspense, character development, plot, effects, acting.... 10/10 with no doubt! But S6E10 is probably the point where you should stop and imagine your own ending. It is guaranteed better and has more character development. Otherwise you may end up rating it down by more than just one and are overcome by disappointment...
610 out of 675 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seasons 1-6: outstanding. 7: daft but good. 8: disappointing
dholliday-imdb21 May 2019
Let's say you're reading these reviews and haven't watched GoT yet, but now that it's finished are considering the marathon. What's the consensus? In this case, the consensus is accurate, and that is:

Seasons 1-6: outstanding. Deep world-building, intelligent dialogue, epic set-pieces worthy of Hollywood, expert acting, detailed plotting, genuine surprises, great soundtrack used sparingly. GoT is worth watching for these seasons, definitely.

Season 7: you suddenly notice the writing and plotting has taken a sharp dive downwards in quality. There are inexplicable ideas, inconsistent characterisation and soap-opera dramas. But at least the entertainment value is still very high, so it gets a pass.

Season 8: this drop chasms down to depths you didn't think possible. The writing has got so amateurish that the still-fantastic production values are no longer enough to save it. If you ever enjoyed Lost but were amazed at how bad the final season was, you're in familiar territory here.

The biggest problem with the final season was it took us out of the story and got us thinking about its many weaknesses. We lost our suspension of disbelief. Fatal for fiction. It also ruined the series-arcs to the point where a rewatch of the entire series is pointless.

So can I recommend a GoT marathon for newcomers? Yes, the first 6 seasons are worth the disappointments later on. But best series of all time it is not. It could've been, but dropping the ball in the final stretch puts it behind the following superior series more worthy of your marathon:

• Battlestar Galactica (2003-2008)
  • Twin Peaks (all 3 seasons, plus the movie)
  • Breaking Bad
2,800 out of 3,166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Imagine an Ice Cream Shop
kunkell2 November 2019
So imagine you go into an ice cream shop and you order a sundae. They've got all kinds of nice stuff going on, beautiful delicious soft serve vanilla bean ice cream, some hot fudge, freshly cracked up peanuts, woah what is that?? A brownie? Some delicious house made whipped cream... Man this sundae is gonna be spectacular. Wow what more could you ask for? Cherry on top? Bring it on!!

And then all of a sudden they put an anchovy on top, and then another, and then a couple more, and then squirt some Dijon mustard on for good measure.

You don't even want the sundae anymore, in fact, you can't even look back on how nice that sundae used to be without thinking about all the stupid s*** they did at the very end just when it was going so well.

That's essentially Game of Thrones. I tried to rewatch it, but as I got through the first season I began looking at where all the pieces land at the end it's literally impossible to go back to. There are just so many ruined character arcs, so much pointlessness, and every time I come back here I drop it one more star it seems like. Game of Thrones is a beautiful anchovy sundae.
1,113 out of 1,269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can you just make the remake the season finale?
SaifOVGU9 April 2020
I'm feeling so heartbroken to see everyone criticising my favourite show of all time. And yes of course that's because of the bad making of the season finale, I can totally understand that. After all these years hardwork, creating and developing each and every character from bottom to top, memories, emotions throughout the process all went to vain for one bad making. It's so painful to accept it for the audience who invested lots of time watching the show from the starting and then finishing it like this! It's a long long journey. I don't even remember the day I started watching it and since then I waited the next year to come for the new season. I can't say anything more. Only one last request, could you please delete the whole season 8 and make a new version of it? Please?
546 out of 622 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Beginning, WORST Ending!
el-absy20 May 2019
Started off as the greatest series of all time, but had the worst ending of all time.
1,577 out of 1,859 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHAME that the show is not re-watchable anymore.
damianhlebec15 June 2019
It use to be my favorite show by far and i never thought that could change,but it did.Last(8)season i watched only once but all the seasons before that i have seen 3 times,except the season 7,which i saw twice.Thank god that i did,because now i won't watch the show again.You really mess it up with the last season.
963 out of 1,132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When ending ruins an entire series
Mampire20 May 2019
For a series with such a complexity, many-layered characters, contradicted emotions & breathtaking events. you'd expect to get an epic ending but that wasn't the case with Game of Thrones which has an end that ruined it all & made rewatchability almost impossible. even the worst pessimists wouldn't ever imagined a series that acquired all this glory & hype to end up so terribly.

Shame on the writers to turn such a rich world & complicated structure into a pale & dumb pop-ish work at the last 2 seasons

Seasons 1-6 outstanding. season 7 that's when the dumb writing has begun. season 8 dumb writing has taken a whole new level, butchering all characters arcs & betraying the previous complexity of the world.

if you're new to the series do yourself a favor & stop watching after season 6.
1,071 out of 1,303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinary untill season 8
alshamari-marwa19 May 2020
This is the first series i would recommend to anybody , it is an amazing piece of work , the most stunning TV series you will ever watch. Why i gave it 9/10 because of the last season, it's still good but very disappointing compared to all the seasons. YOU will enjoy every episode
146 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The writers really let themselves, their audience & Martin down...
jules-378037 May 2019
The first 5 Seasons of Game Of Thrones are exceptional, a beautifully structured series. The sets, characters, pacing, twists - exceptional. I could not fault it, however, after that things went downhill.

When it came to Season 5, the author of the books (George R. R. Martin) and HBO had a disagreement. Martin wanted the show to run across more series, to give all his complex story lines the chance to grow & move at a natural pace. HBO declined and so he dropped off the project, which is extremely evident.

Season 6 & 7, although flawed, were still watchable. The books & George's earlier comments paved the way for both seasons, but you could feel that the episodes lacked substance.

This brings us to the latest season, and after 2 years of waiting expectations were very high. The first two episodes were very plain, the reunions were wonderful, however you could tell they were setting up for one of the biggest fights of the series, which had been greatly anticipated since Season 1. I tried to not to have too high of expectations, however the director referred to episode 3 as "bigger than Helms Deep" which is a comment that will always spark excitement.

Episode 3 was so utterly disappointing, in every way. If you were somehow able to see through the intense darkness (what was the director thinking?) you will crumble to the poor decisions made by writers. I will not stem into this too much, but basically Dan & Dave chose to go down the Hollywood path, completely disregarding any real story or strategy. Episode 4 was equally as disappointing, which I was hoping would redeem the final season.

The writers have ruined this final season by fast tracking characters (basically teleporting), making the smartest of characters docile, and letting plot armor protect 'favorites'. I am still going to watch until the end, but I thought I would warn any future viewer to prepare yourself, as there is nothing more heartbreaking than watching terrible writing ruin a otherwise tremendous series.
987 out of 1,258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best show turned disaster.
debanjanpaul-8396710 May 2019
As GoT started, the first four seasons were insanely great. The story, the characters, the mature plot points. Everything was just perfect. It was 11/10 for me then. But as the seasons passed and episodes increased, the show became dumber and dumber and dumber. The story became childish, and the premise deteriorated. And now in season 8, it feels like a bunch of kindergarten kids are given the task of writing the plot for this show.
677 out of 869 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shame of Thrones
type-a1pha24 May 2019
The ending of this series is a disservice to the public!

The first seasons are great as they are based on the books source material and, apparently, the writers are good enough at adapting other people ideas. After season four there's a decline, not so manifest at first since the goodness of the source material still lingers around. It's more of a slow deterioration, a spiral into shallow writing that peaks in a last season devoid of content and value. Where at first grand scale developments, societal issues and world-spanning intrigues dominated the narration with characters being the pawns of the true overarching story, later in the seasons characters and stereotypical interactions take the stage and the interesting, long developing issues that made the story captivating get resolved in the most unrewarding ways possible. It's incoherent, detached, uninspired writing. It's everything that is bad in mainstream media.

All of this because the writers decided they had enough with the show and grew bored with it. So they wanted to wrap it up as soon as possible in order to go on and ruin the Star Wars franchise (more than it already is). Thanks for your disservice!

It needs to be mentioned that the overall production, sound design, acting, cinematography, all of these are quite extraordinary and elevate the show quite a bit, even when the writing declines. The quality is amazing. It probably is still worth watching for its entertainment value. It just doesn't pay off. The ending season ruins quite literally everything.
340 out of 435 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE BEST SHOW EVER EXISTED
sewar-136757 January 2021
I'm giving 10/10 for the sake of the first 6 seasons and maybe 7, but season 8 is a disaster even though the acting on point, the cgi on point, music on point, everything but the writings, and we all know why, dumb and dumber/ david and dan It's sad... i used to rewatch all 7 seasons over and over and the boredom in me NEVER existed! I was dying for s8.. untill these 2 decided to ruin it for me, I don't have the guts to watch it again, because of the ending. But still no shows ever came close to game of thrones
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was an 10/10 until S08E03
SpitOnAStranger10 May 2019
I loved this series so much. Then came season 8 episode 3 and 4. Such a disgraceful ending.

Seasons 1-4 10/10 Seasons 5-7 9/10 Season 8 (Ep 1-4) 3/10
697 out of 932 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most stunning shows on television
paulday9819 April 2011
Do not believe any of those negative reviews. I honestly cannot understand why some reviewers have given this such a low rating. I think some people love the sound of their own voice and think their opinion is worth something and will be disagreeable simply for the sake of it.

Having said that, this show is stunning. I have never read the books and now I want to. There is so much crap on TV that is renewed year after year (CSI, House etc.) which uses cheap gags, pointless and sometimes ridiculous plots, unbelievable and many times one dimensional characters and yet all the truly great shows get cancelled.

There is enough brain-dead television. But once in a while a show comes along that transports you to another world and makes you believe in the magic of television again. Game of Thrones is one such show.

It is complex, multi-layered, surreal, vibrant, imaginative and it draws your eye in to the surprising level of detail, from the sweeping vistas, to the narrow dungeons, from the beautiful castles and magnificent trees, to the contrasting landscapes. It is worth watching just for the scenery alone.

Yes the acting seems a little cold and even wooden at times, but this is perfectly in keeping with the medieval look and feel of the show. Yes it is dark and gloomy, but again in keeping with the narrative.

The scripting is intelligent and well delivered by competent acting, led by Sean Bean perfectly cast as Lord Edard. Although Sean Bean is better known for brooding bad guys, he strikes the perfect balance between father, husband and Lord and soldier. He is well supported by other well known actors and many new to the scene.

After watching and sometimes enjoying Camelot, this show makes that one look more like "Merlin" by comparison. And where Camelot lacks in depth and scripting, Game of Thrones strikes the perfect balance between brooding medieval angst and wonderful fantasy story telling.

Even if you have never watched a fantasy show before, you should not miss this.
2,145 out of 2,989 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally, a Show that stays true to it's written roots
Jschool0318 April 2011
As an avid reader, I am often disappointed by what is represented by the silver screen. I initially get excited to see one of my favorite series on the big screen, and eventually walk away disgusted. For whatever reason, most shows and movies that are based on epic book series absolutely butcher the original content.

So when I saw the preview for "Game of Thrones" on HBO, I was immediately skeptical. Oh, I was going to watch it, but I didn't have high expectations. I did hold a little hope because HBO is known for their high quality shows.

I was absolutely shocked to watch the Pilot and realize that it followed the book almost to perfection. The language that is used by the actors is very similar to the way that it was written in the book, and events were not skipped. It stayed very true to the story without adding to it or removing from it.

The acting is superb and I actually felt like I was looking into Winterfell for the first time. I feel like I've actually got faces to add to the characters that I've been reading about for a long time.

If you have not read the books, you may feel as though the blatant sexuality is an addition from HBO to add some spice to the series. This is not the case at all. The books contained all of the sexuality that is shown in the Pilot. I am very proud of HBO for producing an amazingly accurate product. I will be watching every week for sure.

If you enjoyed what you saw in the Pilot, know that there are many other plot twists and action filled evenings to come. "Game of Thrones" has a ton of potential to be one of the greatest series that has ever been produced. I would highly recommend it to fans of the series and newcomers alike.

UPDATE:

I have now watched 3 Episodes and I wanted to come back and report some more. Even after 3 Episodes, the series is staying true to the written story. Overall the acting is still very good. I hate to watch a show that makes it look like the actors are reading a script. I don't get this impression with this HBO adaptation.

Each episode of this series leaves me itching for the next weekend. I really hate watching shows in real time because I enjoy absorbing several hours of a show at one time. But, a good show will keep you looking forward to it the whole week.

A special note to viewers that have not read the books... Keep watching! This series has numerous twists and turns and full of epic battles and action. It may seem like it's taking a little while to develop, but the reward is well worth the wait.

Even after 3 episodes, I would still highly recommend this to anyone.
1,870 out of 2,606 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should you still watch Game of Thrones?
alih76522 May 2019
So everyone knows that season 8 blows. It's common knowledge. For the people who haven't yet seen it, is it worth it to watch anyways?

Well, yes and no. I would definitely say for most you can still enjoy the majority of the show. However, if you are the type of person that values the destination MORE than the journey, I would be cautious.

Seasons 1-4: 10/10

Seasons 5-6: 9/10

Season 7: 7/10

Season 8: 3/10

Seasons 1-6 have some of my favorite moments in storytelling, ever. If you are a fan of intense, gritty realism, intriguing plot, and complex characters, I would definitely still recommend this show, just know what you're getting yourself into.

MY WARNING TO THOSE STARTING: DO NOT get too emotionally attached to the show. Enjoy it for its quality alone, and understand WHY the last 2 seasons are not as good. This way you will not be depressed for weeks on end after watching the last season like I was.

Let this show be the prime example of how a show goes from some of the most compelling narratives I've ever seen, to absolute trash at the end. From a purely analytical standpoint it is quite fascinating to watch.
219 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
almost perfect
LASTRONOME3 June 2020
A series like never seen before which rocked last season on a flop! congratulations anyway
96 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lord of the Rings - I think not!
unknownmirc18 April 2011
Seeing a review comparing this brilliant title to Lord of the Rings made me make an account here and post my very first review.

I had very high expectations from this series and I believed that it will (like most TV series) absolutely ruin the book. And I couldn't have been more wrong! Where do I start...

The cast is great, though not amazing with one exception - Sean Bean is perfect for the role of cold master of the North, Eddard Stark. The setting, the atmosphere is perfect and not boring at all! Some scenes are just amazing and are exactly as written in the book - for example the scene where they find the wolves, the nature and the dialogs are just as they should be. Now to get to the part most people are interested in: What is this? What can I expect of the series?

THIS IS NOT LORD OF THE RINGS. Now that I got that out, I can continue. The very idea behind the series is a lot different. It's based around great families on different sides of the world, the stories their members have to tell and the secrets they hide. And there are many secrets, You will have a chance to witness small portion of them in the first episode. If you cannot follow the story just yet, don't worry! It's meant to be like that, you will eventually get to know all the characters and get involved in the story so much you will BEG for next episode just to see what happens.

What to expect? Plots, love, action, war, hatred, quite a few surprises and much much more... All that after the first episode. I really hope they will not ruin it as the series progress.

Conclusion: Do not miss this! Yes YOU complaining that the book is better. And everyone else.
1,389 out of 1,984 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GOT ruined TV for me!
jcb04098 August 2018
Ever since I've watched the last available season of GOT I haven't been able to get into any other show. I've tried countless new shows and nothing even comes close to GOT! The way the multiple story lines and characters Intertwine with one another is absolutely genius! The idea that someone created this entire world from their imagination is unbelievable. The acting is suburb and you can't help but to fall in love or despise the characters. The cinematography and CGI is stunning. You'll be completely immersed in Westeros! Wishing you could just jump in and be a part of the story! So many twist and turns and things you'd never expect. GOT is incredible and definitely worth your time! However, be warned! Once you start you won't be able to stop and TV will never be the same!
847 out of 1,201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The beast
hf-156992 May 2020
One of the best series I've ever seen, but the last season was ruined.
81 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GOT
wonkru23 May 2020
At first I did not want to watch the series. But once I started watching it, I couldn't stop. It became more and more exciting from season 1-8.

Great actors.

I was disappointed with the end of the 8 season!
70 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goosebumps throughout seasons...
aini78676 April 2021
A larger than life experience that was...i started watching got back in 2012 and then after watching 1st episode i gave up on it ...and than 3 to 4 times again i started watching it and left it just after rewatching first episodes..but not this time .deep down i knew i have to watch it ...and when i finshed it i had just one regret why i didn't grew up with this show...i will always regret it .. A master piece...i cant remember the amount of goosebumps i got watching this show ...and the amount of emotions ...
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect!
DiCaprio-HardyFan16 December 2020
I know people say this about a ton of different shows but Game of Thrones is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the best TV shows ever created...it's perfect (except for maybe the last few episodes)! Yeah, the last few episodes of Season 8 weren't that good but the first 7 1/2 seasons were so amazing that it still gets a 10/10 from me! I'm pretty sure there's never been a show more talked about or more loved in the history of television than GOT. All you have to do is read through the reviews to see how loved this show really is! Again, this show is absolutely amazing!
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
G.O.A.T.
Damn good And only if you judge this whole series by its last season than that's not fair .. What took you to ending??

The first seven best season!!

Most recommended.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantasy has never seemed so real
gogoschka-122 July 2014
I don't believe there has ever been anything like 'Game of Thrones' on TV. The sheer amount of quality and talent in this series is staggering. The actors (and I mean really ALL the actors), the costumes, the visual effects, the make-up: everybody working on this show seems to have wanted to make Television-history. And the writing is just phenomenal.

'Game of Thrones' may belong to the 'Fantasy' genre, but the world of Westeros and its surrounding lands has been so amazingly well thought through and is inhabited by characters that are so well drawn and credible that everything you watch feels real. Every "country", every city, tribe or family has such a richly detailed history and even mythology that it just never feels like it was made up. Of course, that was all already there in the books – but translating that so perfectly to a TV-show and with such care as was done here really is a rare achievement.

Yet for all its grandeur, scale and breath-taking visuals, what really makes Martin's outstanding work come to life on the small screen is the fantastic ensemble of actors. At the core of this show (any show, really) are the characters. Tyrion, Cersei, Dany, Jamie and John (and all the – many – others) don't lose anything of their complexity; the amazing cast succeeds in showing all their respective characters' inner conflicts and often questionable motivations and virtually no one comes across as one-dimensional (except maybe for Joffrey).

There have been a couple of great TV-shows over the last years, but when it comes to scale AND quality, 'Game of Thrones' is – at the moment – in a league of its own. A joy to watch: breath-taking, epic – and highly addictive – Television. 10 stars out of 10.

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
547 out of 782 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.