Game of Thrones (2011–2019)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 45 items
Sex & Nudity
- Three nude women ride a man. (breasts, butts and pubic areas visible) The scene might be more funny than sexy.
- A fully nude woman walks through a city as punishment in front of 1.000.000 of people , she survives
- A completely nude man is seen being dragged/tortured by a horse in front of 100 people , its implied that he die on the way
- When dragons appear for the first time, a nude woman can be seen.
- A man puts his hands down a woman's trousers while they're both on a horse. She later reveals to him that she's his sister and that she was only testing him.
- Female nudity is limited to pubic hair as no actual female genitals are shown. But male nudity shows genitals graphically.
- There is a scene where two fully naked women are being taught by a fully clothed man how to sexually satisfy another. It appears that one woman is fingering the other.
- There is close up of male genitalia of a young boy.
- Extensive full-frontal nudity; sex is graphically portrayed. Characters cheat on partners sexually, engage in sex work, use sex to bargain, and incest takes place between adults.
Violence & Gore
- There are prolonged and chaotic medieval battle scenes, skirmishes, 1 on 1 fights, and fights against monsters and dragons.
- Each season gets bloodier, gorier, and more violent as the series goes on. Seasons 3 and 4 are by far the bloodiest, goriest, and most violent since they're based on A Storm Of Swords, while season 8 comes close.
- There are numerous gory images that will be unsettling to some viewers.
- People are consistently kidnapped, some fight back in violent methods.
- We see these violent scenes onscreen and hear them referenced in dialogue as well.
- Sexual violence is shown in the series, particularly during the early seasons.
- During battle scenes you can see stabbings, mutilations, beheadings, people being crushed by horses, and blood flying all over the screen.
- Violence and bloody execution of people is shown in all seasons.
- The torture and genital mutilation of one of the main male characters. Very disturbing.
- Frequent extremely graphic, gory violence, including murders, executions, and their aftermath. Large-scale battles with long, gruesome fight scenes. Swords, crossbows, clubs, and many other weapons are visible. Sexual violence is graphically depicted. Skeletons, zombie-like creatures, and dragons are among the show's scary fantasy creatures.
- Beheadings are shown (heads falling/rolling away), even in combat.
- Jousting is present in the show, with bloody results.
- The battle sequences are very prolonged, extremely bloody, and extremely gruesome. During these battle scenes, a numerous amount of soldiers will get stabbed by swords, get chopped in half, get their heads split in half, etc. with tons of blood and gore. Some of the battle scenes are more of an adrenaline rush while others are more vicious and terrifying.
- The show is very violent but the combat is fast paced.
- There is some violence against frail, young women and children.
- 200+ uses of fuck and 50+ uses of cunt throughout the whole show
- "Fuck," "shit," "dick," "cock," "twat," "whore," "slut," "bitch," and other profanities are used throughout the show. The word "bastard" is used in a sense of illegitimate child.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- "Nightshade" is used as a sleeping drug and agent of euthanasia.
- There is tons of wine, ale and beer drinking in every episode and people are shown getting drunk. Drinking plays a very big part in the show. Pubs are also shown in some scenes with drinking and brief glimpses of pipe smoking in the backround.
- Pipe smoking. Characters are frequently depicted drinking excessively and sometimes behaving irresponsibly or violently as a result. Drugs used for various motives.
- Wine is consumed in almost every episode, particularly during feasts and gatherings. It is implied that some characters drink for the sole purpose to get drunk. It is quite a big feature of the show and often influences character behavior.
- "Milk of the Poppy" is used as a painkiller.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is graphic violence in almost every episode. There are also several intense action sequences throughout the show.
- The show includes a few instances of sexual violence predominately (but not always) towards women. One major male character is gelded, another major character already a eunuch describes how he became that way when he was very young (not graphic).
- The second to last episode of the entire series is very intense and violent.
- While "Game of Thrones" has many fantastical elements, it is important to note that it is realistic in its portrayal of violence.
- The character Ramsay Bolton is a complete and utter monster and an incredibly vicious psychopath who is also a sadist. He enjoys feeding people to vicious dogs for his own sick pleasure. Each scene with him is incredibly frightening.
- Not for the feint of heart. Many people are killed. Children and even babies are sometimes seen being murdered.
- Well liked major and minor characters are unexpectedly killed. A lot of fights and brawls occur throughout the course of the show.
- There are occasional scenes showing "white walkers", man-like monsters that live in the ice and seemingly have bodies made of the same, intense blue eyes, grimacing faces and scrawny bodies that might scare younger viewers. There is a gigantic battle scene in the final season with these creatures, they are constantly seen eating people alive and destroying everything.
- Many viewers will find parts of Season 3 disturbing in the fact that a major character is held hostage by a psychopath. Afterwards the nature and identity of the character being tortured is forcefully changed because of the physical and psychological torture. The character is enslaved by the torturer.
Sex & Nudity
- Incest occurs between several leading characters: a brother and sister, resulting in 3 children; the same female character engages in sexual activities with her first cousin, as well. An aunt and a nephew, who are approximately the same age, engage in an affair before they know of their relationship.
- A sex scene between emilia and Jason where she is shown sitting on him while he thrusts her.
Violence & Gore
- A man battles another much larger man and at the end of the battle impales him with a poisoned spear. He then circles the man, demanding him to confess to the rape and murder of his sister and her children. Eventually, he lets his guard down and the man tumbles him to the ground, punches him in the mouth, causing his teeth to fall off, with some blood splattering on the ground and subsequently, the man confesses the murder as he gouges his eyes out with his thumbs and we see plenty of blood coming out from his eye-sockets as he screams in extreme agony and eventually, due to the extreme force applied to his skull, his head is crushed into a bloody, gory mess with an explosion of blood, brain matter, bone and skin bursting out and splattering everywhere, as his lover reacts by screaming in horror and later, we see the extremely gory aftermath, displaying his now fully smashed head, with gore surrounding the area and a large pool of blood forming on the surface. This entire sequence is EXTREMELY graphic.
- A main character goes insane and burns down an entire city along with thousands of innocent people. Civilians are shown getting engulfed in flames and brutally mowed down by soldiers. There is also an incredibly gruesome fight scene between two brothers.
- In what starts as a happy wedding with all parties seemingly fully at peace three major almost universally well liked characters (by other characters and audience alike) are unexpectedly, and brutally murdered during the wedding banquet with much bloodshed. During this scene a pregnant woman gets repeatedly stabbed in the womb, mortally wounding the woman and her unborn baby followed by graphic depictions of men getting slaughtered by the other army. An older woman gets shot in the back by an arrow, but lives. Her son gets repeatedly shot by arrows, but lives. You also see men with crossbows shooting a direwolf in a cage (firewood dies) and other men being slaughtered. Later in the scene, the woman who was shot in the back grabs the other army leader's wife and demands mercy for her son or she will slit his wife's throat. After the man refuses, her son's bannerman betrays him and stabs her son in the heart, which kills him. After witnessing his death, his mother wails and screams in agony while slitting the man's wife's throat. After slitting her throat, a soldier grabs the mother and slits her throat, killing her as the episode ends in complete silence. The following episode, you see those who murdered the man display him on a horse as a form of mockery. The man is now decapitated and wearing the head of the killed dire wolf. There is also discussion that the mother's body was thrown into the river.