WALL·E (2008) Poster

(2008)

1,076 Reviews
Who says popular films can't be art? "WALL·E" is magical
ametaphysicalshark27 June 2008
Who says popular films are not and cannot be art? If anything is proof that popular films can be of a stunningly high quality, the beauty of the animation, writing, music, and sound design in "WALL·E" is it. "WALL·E" eclipses even Andrew Stanton's "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" in the Pixar pantheon, is perhaps Pixar's best film to date and, call me crazy as I've just seen it, a contender for the title of best animated film, period.

"WALL·E" is everything we've come to expect from Pixar and more- colorful, vibrant, imaginative, exciting, involving, beautiful, and most importantly a film with interesting, involving characters. Sure, WALL·E is adorable, and as much credit as the animators get for that, this film would be nothing without Stanton's screenplay, which features very little dialogue but is still notably intelligent and surprisingly subtle, making a refreshing change from the 'go green' campaigns we're all so used to. Does "WALL·E" have a message? Sure, but it's an important message and it is delivered subtly and beautifully.

"WALL·E" operates on two levels (and works spectacularly well on both). It is a majestic science fiction epic like we haven't seen in a couple of decades and it is a genuinely touching and never cheap romance. "WALL·E" will never get points for originality but it doesn't exactly need them because the homages to great films and figures of the past- Chaplin, Keaton, Tati, the Marx Brothers, "2001: A Space Odyssey" (this one is particularly spectacular), "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" are actually homages and not ripoffs. "WALL·E" is a wonderful tribute to a bygone cinematic tradition (well, two or three of them actually).

The social commentary in "WALL·E" is sobering because it's never overbearing and most importantly because we see the world through machines, machines who feel more about Earth and life than the humans do. The depiction of humans on the ship could have been incredibly offensive, cheap, and tasteless in concept but the execution here is absolutely perfect.

What is most surprising about "WALL·E" is how sad it is. Not even in the 'how will they get out of this, oh I feel so sorry for them' way "Finding Nemo", a previous Stanton effort, is, but in a truly melancholy sense. The early portion of the film maintains all the playfulness of a Jacques Tati film but also evokes a striking and powerful feeling of loneliness. It's a brilliant introduction to WALL·E, given that the rest of the film is too wacky to bother with long scenes focused entirely on character, and works beautifully with the ugly yet beautifully-rendered future Earth, a barren wasteland filled with nothing but garbage, a seriously resilient cockroach being WALL·E's only companion before EVE shows up, but I won't go into the story- it's best you see it unfold for yourself.

From the entertaining shorts shown before the film to the memorable characters, locations, and animation we have come to expect, Pixar films are now event cinema, and they have outdone themselves with "WALL·E". This film is spectacular, majestic, touching, involving, and achingly beautiful. Most importantly, however, it is perfect entertainment. I may be saying this too soon, but I don't think I have ever seen an animated film that has satisfied me more than "WALL·E", and 2008 is going to have to work hard to keep this from being the top film of the year, which it most certainly is at the moment.

9.5/10
995 out of 1,143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie of the century
MR_Heraclius15 February 2020
To this day, this is still my favorite pixar film. The animation is stellar, its heartwarming, funny and proves that pixar movies are always bound to be great (except for cars 2 but thats a different story). This has a shot at the title "best movie of the century"
126 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Most Endearing Love Story In Space...And Back
Chrysanthepop2 November 2008
Over the years I've become quite a sucker for Pixar movies and just love each and every one of them. While there are the states of the art animation and sound effects, the stories have heart. The characters are adorable yet real. It reminds one of those charming movies Disney used to make but Pixar films are very much a unique cinematic experience.

'WALL-E' is quite unusual compared to the previous Pixar movies. There's hardly any dialogue between the two protagonists other than saying each other's name. In fact, barely a word is spoken in the entire first half hour but WALL-E and Eve's silent and playful love story is such a joy to watch. Even though of few words, both characters have strong personalities and the character development is wonderfully done.

The animation is colourful and vivid. Sound effect is amazing. The robot characters are cute and charming. The score deserve special mention as it's mesmerizing and beautiful. Andrew Stanton has done a terrific job as director and co-writer. The portrayal of WALL-E's loneliness and need for love is very well done and then the change that is brought within after the entrance of Eve and his eventual determination to rescue her is effectively shown. There are many genuinely funny and creative moments and it manages to stay away from being 'just plain silly'. The story is rich with humour, action, drama and adventure.

Ben Burtt and Elissa Knight do a fabulous job with the voice acting for WALL-E and Eve. John Ratzenberger, Kathy Najimy and Sigourney Weaver lend great support. While 'WALL-E' tells a magnificent love story it reminds us that Earth is our home and nothing can replace it. It's a joyous magical experience and another sure winner from Pixar.
63 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing!
TheLittleSongbird1 December 2009
I heard mixed reviews on WALL-E, there were those who said it was magical, and those who said it was one of the most overrated movies ever. I will say I loved this movie, it is a truly beautiful movie. It could have done with being a tad longer perhaps, but essentially this is more than a movie with A List vocal talents, WALL-E has genuine heart and will definitely enchant children and any Pixar fan. All I will say is that I am sorry it took me such a long time to see it, I will admit I was differing whether I should see it or not. But I am glad I did. The animation is simply incredible, the whole film is wonderful to look at. The whole movie is done in a very sophisticated visual style, and the bright colours and sublime backgrounds were a delight to the eyes. The music is stunning, the orchestral themes are gorgeous but the song from Hello Dolly! was great and fitted in with the story well. Speaking of the story, it may seem thin to some, but it is a very simple heart warming one all the same with depth and poignancy. There are some very imaginative moments, such as the zero-gravity dance and the ride through space. The voice cast that includes Fred Willard, Sigourney Weaver and Pixar regular John Ratzenburger did an exceptional job, and all the characters were endearing. What made the movie was WALL-E himself, he has to be one of the most lovable and in-depth Pixar characters ever, and the writers create a very haunting atmosphere in the early scenes to match our little hero's isolation. All in all, brilliant, quite possibly one of the best films of 2008. 9.5/10 Bethany Cox
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not only great, but a new plateau in animation
buiredintime27 June 2008
I can't say enough about how good this movie, that you probably haven't read, so I'm going to keep this short.

This is the best thing out there in theater's right now, and might just be the best animated film of all time, whether you believe that or not, is your own opinion, but what Pixar has done here, can put companies like Dreamworks, Sony, and Blue sky to shame.

Wall E also may go down as the most lovable character ever to grace the movie screen, I praise Ben Burtt and Andrew Stanton, and the people at Pixar for what they did, and will continue to do.

This is why Pixar is the top studio in the world.

498 out of 675 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar does it again!
DrWetter8 June 2008
I just returned from an advanced benefit screening of WALL*E, and I want to be careful not to spill too much regarding the movie. I had the added privilege of watching the film at Pixar, which in and of itself, was amazing.

This picture is not a cartoon; it is a film. In fact, it even has the LOOK of film. One of my complaints of more recent 3-D/CG animated films (not from Pixar) is that they all seem to look the same... clean lines, crisp colors, and very "virtual", for lack of a better term. WALL*E transcends the typical look of CG animation, and has a true to life "grit." The creators at Pixar are true artists, and are indeed masters of their craft. Not only are they masters of the technology, they are masters of telling a story. WALL*E is no exception.

The best way to describe the film is as a science fiction, comedy, dramatic love story. WALL*E, as a character, has dimension, personality, and heart... pretty impressive given that he is essentially a trash compactor. It is true that there is little dialogue in this feature, but I personally did not feel it detracted from the story at all.

WALL*E is very much a different Pixar film from it's previous features. I will be curious to see how it is received by others, but in my opinion, I think Pixar has stayed true to itself, demonstrating a commitment to telling great stories and pushing the edge of technology to leave your jaw dropping! My most sincere compliments to Andrew Stanton, Jim Morris, John Lasseter, Ben Burtt, and all the creative forces at Pixar. Can't wait to see what the future brings...
826 out of 1,004 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An A+ for Wall-E! One of the best movies this century!
jedi-jones29 June 2008
Wall-E is the movie experience I've been looking for. I haven't seen a new film this richly entertaining, thrilling, touching and satisfying since Spider-Man 2. It is truly the finest Pixar or animated CGI film to date. I can discuss it without spoilers easily because it's one of those films, like 2001: A Space Odyssey, that exists more as a pure experience of the heart and the senses than as a collection of events that we're supposed to keep track of intellectually. Wall-E rises above that kind of unnecessary complication into the same kind of space occupied by dreams and the imagination.

This film is beautifully animated, of course, to that magical Pixar point where even piles of what should be disgusting trash somehow look breathtakingly gorgeous and even fairly realistic-looking roaches look cute. But much more importantly, the heart, the emotion in this movie is unlike anything I've experienced at the cinema since Forrest Gump. Certainly my tear ducts have not welled up while watching a movie this much since then. I fell in like with the character of Wall-E when I saw the trailer. Watching the movie, I fell in love with him within about 2 minutes. Shortly after that, I fell in love with the idea of Wall-E falling in love.

My previous favorite movie romance is Superman and Lois Lane in the original Superman films. The love story, or the love experience of Wall-E and Eve is perhaps the first I've seen since then that operates at and succeeds on that same level. These couples create an uncomplicated, innocent, simple, yet deep and powerful bond. They capture the experience of love at first sight, writ large. They possess an instant chemistry that tells you they belong together from the first time they see one another and makes you root for their relationship throughout the film. Wall-E and Eve share moments together of real cinematic beauty, true hilarity, frightening sadness, frustrating difficulty and delightful satisfaction. It's a testament to the level of genius at which the Pixar storytellers are operating that we feel every beat of this relationship resonate every step of the way despite the fact that the characters are robots that are not modeled off of humans and speak no more than a handful of words throughout the movie (this animated movie is refreshingly free of obvious "guest star" voices or any over-the-top stand-up comedians trying to upstage the movie).

Just like in the first Superman films, once you care about the characters as individuals and care about their relationship, it's almost impossible for the rest of the movie not to work. You're hooked at hello. Wall-E adds all the expected complications to keep the would-be lovers from getting together most of the time. There is a truly great "McGuffin" that keeps the heroes and villains busy for quite a while (the item in question is something outwardly simple that ends up holding the key to something more important than anything in the world). The pacing during most of these adventures is as breakneck as anything out of the Star Wars films and the action is always staged with crystal clarity. There are several scenes of peril for Wall-E that are reminiscent of that oddly powerful sequence in Short Circuit 2 when Johnny 5 is almost killed. The filmmakers pull absolutely no punches when it comes to running your heart through the ringer over characters you care about. It probably helps that you can do a lot more physical damage to a robot character than you can to a human character while keeping a G rating and still getting the audience dramatically worried about their survival.

Even on top of the action, the emotion, the visuals and the humor, Wall-E goes the extra mile into thought-provoking thematic territory. The film never hits you over the head with anything preachy and doesn't really even outright tell you what its opinions on the subjects it raises are. It also doesn't explicitly lay out explanations for everything that exists in Wall-E's world (there are no "talking killer" scenes and very little verbal exposition). I think the bits of ambiguity work here because they add to the sense of mystery, helplessness and alienation that most of the characters in the movie feel to some degree.

There are human characters in this movie too, quite a few. I think that's necessary because if humans aren't shown in a robot world, you have to wonder what purpose were the robots designed to serve? That was a curiosity of the earlier CGI movie, Robots. Most of the humans in Wall-E aren't as developed as the robots, but I think that's because they exist more to represent the whole of humanity rather than particular individuals. We're asked to ponder the consequences of the choices they make as though the whole society was moving in that direction, not just one person. Wall-E and Eve are the heart of this movie but the humans are used to add some intellectual gravity for the audience to chew on.

Other choices made in the movie might also leave room for debate, such as the integration of some live-action footage into the film. But because the movie as a whole is so audaciously stimulating and brilliantly satisfying, it's a plus that they left us with a few unresolved or unusual things to think about and question after getting off of the great emotional and visual roller-coaster experience. Wall-E truly serves up everything that I think an audience could want in a movie experience. It will be very easy for me to watch this one over and over again. It is a modern-day classic that I believe should earn a place in cinema history as the "2001" of CGI animated films, both of them movies of indisputable brilliance, unyielding imagination and unending entertainment.

Footnote: The pre-movie short is an awesome, violent Looney Tunes/Roger Rabbit-esquire toon. It wants only to entertain and does.
476 out of 637 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar Hit a Home Run with Wall-E, They Just Didn't Hit It Out of the Park!
KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
From PASTO, COLOMBIA-Via: L. A. CA; CALI, COLOMBIA+ORLANDO, FL The ONLY Tony Kiss Castillo on FaceBook! ....................................

Shame on me for ignoring my own rule of thumb and slurping up so many of the gushing reviews for Wall-E. My expectation was somewhere around Pluto, but this only managed to take me to Saturn. Normally, Saturn would warrant a rave review, but not when a film falls somewhat short of that ever-so-high bar you've set for it! Don't get me wrong. Pixar has hit a home run with Wall-E. They just did not hit one out of the park, as so many others would have you believe.

The movie really does work on just about every imaginable level. The Pixar animation team most certainly outdid themselves, taking CGI to an impressive and breathtakingly realistic new level for 2008. Wall-E is, at times thought-provoking, ironic, laugh-out-loud funny, poignant, entertaining, and perhaps, somewhat romantic. Yes, all of this with a highly original story line and offbeat musical accompaniment. Those elements which are borrowed from other movies are at least incorporated with a fresh twist.

Wall-E most definitely has its shortcomings: A little over the top at times in the "Gee, aren't we just the cutest on screen Bots you've ever seen?" Department. There are also a couple occasions where the substitution of dialog for assorted sound effects becomes a bit tedious.

Fortunately, the movie is very low key as regards the results of long term ravaging of the environment, not at all in-your-face as so often is the case with movies made in the recent years. Taken as a whole, though, Wall-E deserves between 8 and 8 1/2*. In any case, please, simply put aside the reviews and just watch Wall-E, hopefully, leaving your expectations behind. You'll probably have a very enjoyable and entertaining 90 minutes.

8* STARS*...ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!
31 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's still producing the best movies out there
CA_movie_fan7 June 2008
We went to the San Francisco Film Institute's first public screening at their campus in Emeryville. Everyone's sworn to secrecy, but for a film with little dialog, it carries more of an emotional punch and has a richer story than any live-action movie this year. The tone and style of the film is completely different for Pixar, and Disney haven't tried to override the darker thematic elements at all, making the story surprisingly three-dimensional.

This will end up being the animated film of the year and I had the same 'wow' feeling as after seeing Ratatouille. Considering that animated films have always played second-fiddle to live-action, and have been aimed at kids, it's ironic that once again Pixar produces a film that rivals any live action on every level. Bravo!
643 out of 815 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Message
claudio_carvalho8 December 2008
In the Twentieth-Eighth Century, Earth is completely depleted and with the ecological system destroyed. The powerful corporation Buy N Large builds a huge spacecraft called Axiom and sends the entire civilization for a five-year cruise while trash collector robots called WALL-E (Waste Allocator Load Lifter – Earth) would clean the planet. However, the equipment fail and seven-hundred year later, only a single robot WALL-E is performing his duty. His only companion is a cockroach and his great entertainment is watching an old "Hello Dolly" videotape. When a spaceship lands on Earth out of the blue and leaves the probe Eve, WALL-E follows her and falls in love for Eve. After a hostile initial contact, the dangerous Eve gets close to WALL-E and he gives a small plant to her. Eve gets the plant and automatically sends a signal to the spaceship that returns and takes Eve back. However, the desperate WALL-E grabs on the hull and travels through the space chasing Eve until they reach Axiom and find a full automated facility crowded by lazy and fat human beings unable even of walking with their legs. The expectation of life on Earth brings hope to the Captain against the will and prime direction of the auto-pilot that organizes a mutiny on board.

"WALL-E" is one of the best animations I have ever seen, with adorable characters and a deep story, showing a possible scenario of the depletion of our planet caused by the lack of concern from the big corporations with the environment. In addition, there is the beautiful love story of WALL-E, the importance of small and forgotten things; a great nostalgia of the old times among many other message. The story is very well developed in spite of having very few dialogs. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "WALL-E"
35 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WALL-E is one of the most cutest, lovable characters Pixar ever invented!!
michael1139126 June 2008
Not only it's Pixar's best film of all-time but it's the best movie of this year and one of the greatest imaginative, visually, moving & excellent animated films in years and surprisingly, one of the best sci-fi movies since E.T.!! Coming with high expectations, it definitely succeeded mines. It's so beautiful, moving, hilarious & sad at the same time. And for those who has been anticipating Thomas Newman's score for WALL-E, it's certainly one of his best right behind Finding Nemo in which I thought was his best score to date! Like I said it's Pixar best film so far, WALL-E knocked off Ratatouille of the top spot in which I thought it was their best film to date and officially, WALL-E is the best Pixar film i've ever seen with Ratatouille right behind and Finding Nemo, third. Pixar fan or non-Pixar fan, you'll definitely enjoy this one. WALL-E will forever be remembered as one of the most lovable characters ever created on film!!!
391 out of 581 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoughtful and Kind
Hitchcoc14 August 2009
I was skeptical when I heard that this was a movie about machines falling in love. This kind of thing has been done before and has left me cold. This movie, however, takes a character who has endured in his lot, a romantic robot at that, and gives him a chance to realize his dreams. He has learned about love from watching a dull old Disney-like musical. One of those forgettable things that children hated, but were frequently brought to by their parents. He has established himself a sentient being with a loving soul. One day a slick rocket ship drops a probe into his garbage infested landscape. It is a porcelain-like, egg shaped beauty with deadly capabilities needed for self-preservation. This critter is egg shaped, unlike Wall-e's dumpy presence. He falls in love with her (she is definitely quite feminine. Like all desperate males, he does what he can to impress her, almost at the expense of his existence. The other interesting aspect of this film is the human element. Humanity has devolved into fat, slovenly lumps, with no thoughts or ambitions. When Wall-e shows up in their spaceship, he throws a wrench into the works. This little commentary is inadequate. Mainly, I found the whole thing quite charming and the evolving love affair believable.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The People At PIXAR are geniuses....
likeminded23 June 2008
Just got back from a special sneak peek/advance screening of this movie, and I must say, Pixar continues to amaze. They just can't seem to make a bad move. Heck, they can't even make a mediocre movie. Now, I will admit, there have been a couple that I would classify as my "least favorite" of theirs, but even they were actually very, very good. This one, though...it just may take the cake. Ranks up there with the absolute best they have produced. Hysterical, emotional, meaningful -- this movie succeeds on every front! I am not going to get into spoilers or specific plot aspects, but I will say that I am almost definitely going to see this one again in the theater..and it will be worth every dime. Come Friday, be in line to see Wall-E. You don't want to miss it!
303 out of 438 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshing, limitless landmark
StevePulaski12 October 2013
WALL-E is perhaps one of the most subversive films by Pixar Animation Studios and one of the most significant animated films in many years. The film is comprised of little dialog, breathtakingly clear, but often dirty visuals that contradict the bubbly, colorful palette of colors we're used to seeing in contemporary animation, and can be seen as a showcase for several motifs and deep themes.

We open in the year 2805, where Earth has become a haven for mass amounts of garbage thanks to extreme levels of consumerism perpetuated by a massive corporation called "Buy N Large." Earth's population was evacuated in the early 2100's to reside in certain ships in space. Left behind were "WALL-E" robots, small trash-compactors that would make identical cubic blocks out of the trash left behind by humans before stacking them into gigantic skyscrapers. Eventually, all the bots died off, except for one, who is still mindlessly operating and compacting trash day-after-day.

WALL-E lives in a storage truck, kept cozy by pieces from human civilization that bring him comfort. One day, he is brought more comfort by discovering EVE, a much-more advanced robot who is deployed from the Buy N Large spaceship to track down vegetation on Earth. WALL-E meets and is attracted by EVE, and the two form a bond, communicating through ambiguous sounds and the occasional disjointed line of robotic dialog.

There is hardly any dialog during the first act of the film; the second act is populated by a bit more than the first and the third is largely devoted to speaking because our focus has shifted from the dilapidated Earth to the more populous Axiom spaceship. Much of the film is largely focused on showcasing the variety of sounds WALL-E and EVE make, leaving the viewer to utilize those little bits of sound as the main point of reference when it comes to trying to define the emotion and the feelings the characters are currently going through. The sound design was largely conducted by Ben Burtt, the so-called "godfather of sound" for the film industry, and his meticulous craft shows. A viewing of the making of WALL-E reminds - or perhaps informs us - that when animation is made, nothing has a sound. Animated character movements are, by default, silent and every sound, down to the footsteps, must be done in real life before being uploaded to the film itself. The meticulous craft of Burtt and the entire sound team is an act of devotion and perfection that may go noticed by an inattentive viewer.

Returning to my point made about WALL-E being the most thematically heavy film Pixar has ever made, such themes are technological advances, mass-consumerism, Christianity, love, corporation-takeover, and conformity. Consider the Buy N Large, the massive store in the sky that caters to an obese population of men and women that ride around in hovering seats, consuming food and drinks out of a cup, and wearing whatever the loudspeaker tells faithful shoppers what to where. The scene exploring the Buy N Large warehouse is a fascinating but poignant look at the effects of mass consumerism in America. It shows the kind of thing we'd like to believe we're immune to as humans but, unfortunately, are not and can be manipulated and directed in ways we never truly thought possible.

The film was directed by Andrew Stanton, who largely led the team in creating Finding Nemo, one of Pixar's most renowned pictures for its emotionally touching story and beautiful animation. Finding Nemo featured some of the best animation, I believe, the CGI world has ever seen, and WALL-E's grittier, darker animation is not to be dismissed either. Stanton and the team of animators capture the vast landscapes of Earth and its desolate state, as well as space and its limited state. The animation is put to an incredible effect and Stanton proves to be worthy of operating with the animation company.

WALL-E, too, shows a future where conformity is incredible. Everyone wears the same thing, possesses the same features, operates with little individualism, and function in the way where laziness appears to be something of an achievement. This is a frightening feature in a kids film; one that I don't see many young children picking up instantly. This isn't just the part of the film that keeps adults awake but keeps adults questioning the future we may be in for.

Furthermore, the film works beautifully as a tone-piece and an amazingly made film in terms of grandiose animation and sound design. Ben Burtt's sound design and meticulous craft in pairing each obscure movement with a practical sound is easily the strongest thing in the film. Despite the lack of dialog, the film never fails to engage a viewer by showing them an unconventional love story that is made unpredictable because the way that Wall-E and EVE communicate is nonlinear and often ambiguous. These ingredients make WALL-E a truly stunning piece of animated art.

Directed by: Andrew Stanton.
They did it again
kosmasp30 January 2009
Apart from Cars (which as I heard will get a sequel, surprisingly for me at least), every movie Pixar made until this point in time, was at least excellent, imho. And even Cars, was still pretty good, just never hit as high, as the other ones did. WALL-E is proof yet again, that there is only one true animation champ!

Yes there are other good, funny animated movies, from other studios, but only Pixar has a strong enough story to mix with all the little jokes. Only they can appeal to a young audience and a mature one. Wall-E seems like a strange idea. Something that might not get you emotional involved (the main characters are derived of many facial expressions, due to the fact, that they are robots and are lacking some facial similarity to a human being. Yes there are the eyes, but many other things are absent. Not that you would want to have it any other way. The movie is pretty silent (especially in the first part of the movie), but you still get attached to this robot being.

There are many in-jokes for the mature audience, a message delivered with the right notes and many other funny things, that makes WALL-E one of the best movies. Not only in 2008, but overall.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Animated Film
mycannonball19 November 2021
A futuristic animated film with gorgeous visuals and important things to say - earth 700 years in the future full of trash? It's not exactly a far-fetched prediction! WALL-E was a magical character and a magical story. Probably my fave animated movie.
A Nutshell Review:
DICK STEEL29 August 2008
In some strange twist of Fate, the local release of recent Pixar movies always had us here twiddling our thumbs wondering when it'll finally make its way to the screens, while we hear the accolades ring from the rest of the world in marvelling at the quality that Pixar continually churns out. It's likely that the distributors want to coincide the release with the local school holidays, but frankly, the money also comes from the adult crowd, as testament to this full house in one of the largest screens downtown during a late night screening with nary a noisy kid in tow.

And I may sound like a broken record, but Pixar has done it again. Quality stories with quality animation, and it kept the run time to a manageable under 100 minutes, compared to the previous offering Ratatouille, which clocked near 120 minutes (or actually felt that long). I never expected WALL·E to pack in such a strong emotional punch, not that Pixar has never animated non-living objects before (such as Cars), but there's a certain child like innocence appeal that WALL·E possesses, that makes him very charming, and very endearing to the audience.

As a Waste Allocation Load Lifter-Earth-Class, Isaac Asimov's Robot directives has him firmly and dutifully carrying out his duties of compacting Earth's rubbish, as the last of its class on Earth to clean up the mess. Humans have now polluted the world so much that they took to Space in Star Trek inspired ship designs, to live out there while WALL·Es take over to do some massive spring cleaning. Until of course, our WALL·E becomes like The Last Man, erm, Robot on Earth with a cockroach companion, acting and emoting superbly that puts Will Smith to shame.

The fantastic thing about WALL·E is that it can tell so much by so little. The first few minutes establish everything we need to know about the current world, and paints a very humanistic, soulful value to the dusty, dirty and rickety robot. He (see what I mean?) has a lot of eccentricities, and in performing his duties, develops quirks and becomes a collector (of junk) of sorts, which allows the creators to pump in plenty of sight gags and inside jokes ranging from sound effects (I swear my Apple is now a WALL·E pre-cursor) to paying homage to movies such as 2001: A Space Odessey.

In essence, WALL·E is a love story in human terms, where the boy tries hard to get the girl, only to have her spurn his advances. EVE (which stands for Extraterrestial Vegetation Evaluator) is WALL·E's object of affection, who got sent to Earth as a probe for life. And my, she's a difficult one to handle, being state of the art, as well as packing a mean self-defense mechanism that makes breaking the ice really difficult. Not to mention as well, a fiery temper to boot. Which means our guy has to really try, and try hard, to break that wall down. Poor thing really, because all he wanted to do, was to hold her hand. The Beatles would have been proud.

But of course you'll have to throw in tougher adversary and events to make it all the more worthwhile in WALL·E's pursuit of EVE, which spans lightyears and a plant that becomes the catalyst for their romance. A lot of the movie takes place on board The Axiom, the human ship where a vision of the future is presented, which metaphorically holds a mirror up to ourselves in our over reliance in technology that we're beginning to grow sideways, and not noticing the things that nature has in store for us, human to human communication, and the things that matter. It also has an soft environmental message and stance thrown in, but done so subtly that you wouldn't feel that it's being preachy and a turn off.

I hate to admit it too that the movie turned me into a big softie, especially its clichéd finale, where you know what will happen, but yet want to second guess if the filmmakers could be so heartless with an ending that I thought would really make me shed a tear. However, it's Disney after all, and when you think of merchandise opportunities, then business sense prevails.

WALL·E deserves every acclaim that it's got, and let me contribute mine too. If you have time to only watch one animated movie this year, or want to bring your kids to one, then make no mistake, WALL·E is the perfect choice, without a doubt, hands down. It makes it to my books as contender for the top 10 movies of the year. Highly recommended stuff, and the leads don't even speak much save to call out to each other!

Oh, do put your bum on the seat early too, as with all Pixar features, there's always a short that preluded it, and Presto is nothing short of hilarious, and a crowd pleaser to rouse the audience into a frenzy before the main act takes over. I guess it's high time I purchase the collection of Pixar shorts available on DVD as well.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Stunning B-D Visuals & Audio
ccthemovieman-17 December 2008
Boy, the visuals were as stunning as I had read they were; absolutely spectacular. I hate to use this cliché, but this is a "must" for Blu-Ray fans. You have to see - and hear - this film in HD because it is a great treat for your senses. The surround sounds are everywhere while the colors and artwork are something to behold! And, yes - it's still very pretty on a regular DVD, too.

The story is "cute," but nowhere near the visuals and audio. It's okay, subtlety humorous, dramatic and romantic parts. It gets a tiny bit preachy with the usual environmental digs and a comment about how fat we humans can get by lying around too much, but otherwise just plays it for comedy and cool-looking characters. Everyone and everything in this film is pretty amazing-looking.

It's kind of a strange story, with much of it taking place on a big space ship. My favorite parts were in the beginning on Earth with the little robot WALL-E and his cockroach friend.

There is so much to see in this film, it makes multiple viewings all the more attractive but, I'll assume, you're always going to catch some things you didn't see the first few times. Overall, not a super story but yet an amazing film, one that is one you want to show off your Blu-Ray DVD player to friends. This sets yet another new standard in animation.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Certainty of Seeing
tedg2 July 2008
You can read elsewhere the ordinary stuff — about how wonderful this is; about how it exploits cinematic characterization, and even how conservative bloggers have decided to criticize it supposedly leftist premise. (Jees)

I did enjoy it. Its an amazing experience. But while watching it, I also was admiring the minds behind it.

There are sometimes intelligent movies being made, and a surprising number of them are from Hollywood. I believe though that in most cases, it is because there is a critical mass of intelligent writers, filmmakers and decisionmakers that are working at the fringe of the establishment. Not so with Pixar. I've been constantly surprised at each project how they encapsulate essays in the advance of the cinematic vocabulary.

Its a bit like French new wave films made by film theorists, the films being more about what can be done than doing it in the service of effect that matters. (Their retort would be that it DOES matter if it changes the vehicle.)

But this Pixar business is a different model. Folks can come and be entertained without having to dip into vats of self-reference. Oh, there's plenty of superficial self-reference, but its all in the service of jokes, and they are all in the service of the narrative.

But other folks — like me and perhaps you — can also see that they are doing a few things that no one else is in quite the same advanced way, and they mark them so that you can read it as a sort of metanarrative. Jobs does the same thing with Apple. They make products that people use and like. But they also are in the business of defining what it is to be cool. They manufacture cool like they manufacture electronic products. You get both, and even in the products there's a reference to leadership, because being cool is all in who defines cool.

So when I saw this, I saw self-conscious art, and stories about the future of cinema. We've always gotten that with Pixar. Usually, it has to do with space, and what you can do with this new medium that is impossible with "real" cameras and places.

This last movie, "Ratatouie" added in the notion of control. Pulling the strings. I'm sure many have noticed that the shorts that Pixar creates to play before these features are a sort of synopsis of the reflective ideas they will use in the film. Last time the short and film were about control at a distance, with both the puppetmaster and puppet being featured, but the star was the puppetmaster. You can almost see how the whole story could have been generated by this idea: chef, French (who claim to have invented folded cinema of the reflexive kind), and rat. Secret recipes. Love always.

This time around, the cinematic sensibilities are profoundly deeper. A deep certainty. You have to know about 2001 as a start. Kubric's interest there was the warring narrator. Whose world is telling the story, man, machine or god. There is a story, but it hardly matters. Its all about who is telling the story, whose chair you sit in as the viewer. Its a masterful work.

Here, its bent only a little: mankind, machine and nature, but its folded back on the story — which here has effect. Wall-e is natural, machine in form, but more human than the humans we see. But watch how they fold it again. Its a movie about the truth in movies, how the power of cinema can reach into the real world. A handholding there and here is a handhold between the worlds.

And also watch how they built movies in. This isn't accidental. When they put a movie within a movie like this, the intent is to have the watcher of the outer movie join the world of the watcher of the inner movie. Its a reliable trick to get us to invest in what we see. But they go further. When we see the humans — who are supposed to be like us but clearly aren't — we note that THEY are hypnotized by the movies in front of them and cannot see the larger world beyond, and we can.

It happens to also spill over into the great narrative about how some of us can see that the planet is being destroyed and other blithely putter on. That business about saving image- laden artifacts as a memory storehouse... All these layers — yes they are engineered by what is now the most intelligent and adventuresome narrative engineering lab in a studio.

All this extra introspection is used not as dry thesis, but in the service of the love story. It made it deeper, and more true. Knowing makes love true. So yes, it is effective, and fun, and deep.To compensate, the camera and space manipulation is less radical than usual.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't want to survive. I want to live.
lastliberal25 February 2009
I am not a fan of animated movies in any form. The only one I recall that was worth watch was Fritz the Cat back in the 70s. That one was X-Rated (NC-17 today).

Of course, I had to watch this, not because it won Best Animated Feature Film at the Academy Awards, but because there was a push to get it nominated for Best Picture period. It did win a couple of Best Picture awards from film critics, but the Academy wasn't buying it.

I feel that it did meet the requirements for consideration as Best Picture, as it presented a story that was interesting and credible, and just had animated robots instead of humans. Of course, nominating it for Best Picture means someone would be left out, and I can't see that as there were other films that had a better claim to be included.

It was charming, tender, funny, and exciting. A film that is worth watching over and over.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Persoanlly romantic picturesque picture
Stampsfightclub31 January 2010
The cleaning of earth has been left to sentimental robot Wall-E and when EVE visits the planet looking for plant life Wall-E's love takes him into space where mankind live.

Described as Pixar's 'biggest gamble' this 2008 animation showcases a near speechless adventure in time and space, being both constantly humorous and breathtaking in its approach to get a message of human destruction across.

Any viewer of any age or gender will find their own interpretation of exploration and personal meaning in this picture which, nominated for numerous Oscars, inevitably winning best animated picture, has countless reasons to view.

For uniqueness this is one hat proudly sits on top of the pile. An animation showcasing humans destroying themselves and earth this has a strong encoded message specifically designed to shock other animations.

Apart from Warner Brothers terribly awkward Happy Feet there has been little in animation genre to say a great deal about the earth's natural wellbeing. Even that paper thin plot crammed it in to the last twenty minutes whereas here everything is thought of and built around. The shot as the spaceship takes off from earth into the rubble surrounding it is brilliant. The nature of Wall-e himself is to clean up earth's wastage. The point of EVE is to salvage a rescue attempt. Bearing in mind this film has so little dialogue this is a remarkable achievement to get across. It is told through movements through actions and the saying "actions speak louder than words" is more than recognizable in this picture.

Wall-e a lovable appearing robot becomes infatuated with EVE when she arrives on earth and the time the two spend together is heart-warmingly sentimental. When EVE goes into sleep mode that actions Wall-e takes to revive her are adorable, and not in a cheesy way. His holding the umbrella, the sunset picturesque montage, the trip in the boat all demonstrate a kindness and typically romantic conceptual motives for a character who has been alone for such a long time.

The character development of the central protagonist plays a pivotal role in the emotional core of this film. Wall-e, a robot, has over the years developed a human personality, collecting items that mean something, caring for insects and greeting people and machines and becoming friends. And the contradictory in humans is remarkable. Like today's modern stereotype, we are obsessed with technology and food, which in this picture leads to our demise, sitting in chairs and having everything on a plate for us.

The score for this picture is truly excellent also, having intertextuality from 2001 and Hello Dolly allow us to be brought into the moment and dare I say such a claim, the finest score Pixar have generated? Pixar get better with every outing and Up! was a marvellous showcase of adventure and love which just topped his outing and yet this is still one of the finest animations you will ever see.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Destined to be a classic
rogerdarlington9 March 2009
The odd title is actually an acronym: Waste Allocation Lift Loader, Earth-Class. This little robot unit is the last of a series originally intended to clean up a massively polluted Earth while humankind left the planet for a temporary five years which, after the failure of the project, has resulted in an absence of 700 years. The pacing and atmosphere of the movie would be remarkable for any work, let alone one of animation, with a long opening scene with little action and no dialogue. Even when another robot EVE arrives from outer space and a technical romance ensues, the dialogue is minimalist but the action accelerates at a exciting and satisfying pace.

Pixar have here given us outstanding work and Andrew Stanton, who conceived the story and directed the film, deserves special praise. The film is entertaining with action, humour and great visuals, but its is also subtly instructive with clear messages about the damage to the planet and to our bodies from our adoration of consumerism, making it appealing to children and adults alike. Many science fiction classics - from "2001" to "Silent Running" - are referenced, but the treatment is so original that "WALL·E" itself is destined to be a classic.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most charming cartoon I've ever seen. Nearly perfect in every way!
TOMNEL27 June 2008
My favorite animated movie was, and still is The Nightmare Before Christmas, but Wall-E comes in at close second. Pixar outdid themselves in every possible way, and it seems that though they've done that with each of their films, this one stands above the others. It's cute, without those lame sappy moments that cause you to uncomfortably stare at the floor. It's emotional, with some scenes even leaving a lump in my throat. The animation is amazing and the story is both inventive and original (for the most part). Wall-E is the quintessential Pixar film...no, it's the quintessential animated movie.

Wall-E (or Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth class) is a lonely robot on futuristic Earth. The year is around 2800 and all the humans have "temporarily" been taken off of Earth into a space cruise where they are awaiting Earth to be cleaned up. Wall-E's only friend is a cockroach, and he lives in a little storage shelter where he keeps interesting items he finds in the trash he compacts. One day a spaceship drops off another robot, this one named EVE. Her mission is to find plant life on Earth, which would signal that the humans can return. Wall-E is fascinated by EVE, and more than anything just wants to hold her hand, like in his favorite musical, Hello Dolly. EVE sees a plant that Wall-E had previously found, and they both end up being taken up into space on the space cruise ship. All the humans on board have lost track of reality, don't walk or do any exercise, and they are all morbidly obese. Wall-E and EVE end up having to save the plant life they brought up to show to the ship's captain so they can go back to Earth, but the ship computer doesn't like that idea.

I have no critiques for this film. As I've said, this is about as close to perfect as you can come, I'll just explain what I really liked. I enjoyed the romance between Wall-E and EVE, which was so sweet, sort of sad at times, and more real than the typical teen comedy romance. The human characters were great. Jeff Garlin plays the ship captain and does an excellent job. One of the best scenes in the movie has the captain studying up on Earth wide eyed, learning all the things humans (now adays) have known since we were infants. John Ratzenberger and Kathy Najimy voice two humans who face reality before the others and get off their fat rears to have some fun and take a moment to notice the stars. The animation is the best Pixar's ever done, and even with the cartoonish designs of the characters, sometimes I'd forget I was watching a cartoon. Wall-E, as a character, was an amazing lead. Amazing in that he carried the movie flawlessly, and made me truly feel for the poor guy, and amazing in that the only thing that he says in the movie, along with some grunts and squeals, is "EVE-a!". I have no clue how Pixar molds these likable characters, but they did a fantastic job. I'd see it 10 more times in the theaters, and I hope it makes a billion at the box office.

Pixar's done it again! They hit gold, more so than any of their other pictures, and Wall-E ranks up there with one of the best animated pictures of all time. It was the first film in months to leave me 100% satisfied. I loved it!

My rating: **** out of ****. 100 mins. Rated G.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wall E
haydenluz5 January 2021
Wall E, originated, directed & written by Andrew Stanton & Peter Docter, was easily one of Pixar's best! Andrew Stanton shows once again that he is one of the best directors in the Pixar family, yet again making another instant CLASSIC! He incorporated so many magnificent shots, utilizing the perfect balance of slow, wide, and close up shots.

The story was well told, being an innocent, yet complex rom-com, while having some great sentimental notes. Don't be fooled, even though this is technically a children's movie, there is so much adult entertainment, that the whole family will do nothing but fall in love with this film! The first act is one of the most enjoyable first acts Pixar has offered yet. Stanton & Docter started off building this grimmy world, set about 700 years from now, incorporating these two polar opposite, but super charming and enjoyable robots in Wall E & EVE. Their chemistry and charm is what drove this film! With the first half started off with a bang, come the second half, it gets taken to a whole other level! This is where Wall E & EVE get their defining moments, with greatly placed action.

Wall E, voiced by Ben Burtt was one of Pixar's most lovable protagonist, though having this rusty, ruggid look, and not having much to say. His humanized traits, curiosity, and pure charm is what made his character so lovable. EVE, voiced by Elissa Knight, was a very intelligent robot solider, that turns out to have great character development. She basically steals the main protagonist label from Wall E, though sharing the wealth very generously. Stanton & Docter somewhat refrained from giving us true back stories to our main characters, but in return, they gave us good information to be able to infer where they comes from.

The screenplay didn't have much importance in the first thirty-five minutes or so, but come the second, and mainly the third act, Pete Docter & Andrew Stanton put together a well thought-out, passionate script, incorporating a lot of heart.

The cinematography and animation was absolutely GORGEOUS! The back drops were so deatiled and vibrant, really mashing well with the vibrant colors, and color contrast. The animations were stunning as always, with realistic detail in the metals, dirt, rocks, and everything in between.

The score by the very popular Thomas Newman, was very dramatic, and created this great connection between the audience and the characters. The music was a pretty good touch, really coming alive in the third act.
PIXAR does it again
SnoopyStyle4 May 2014
The world is one giant garbage heap. Humanity under BnL Corp has taken off on giant cruise spaceships for a 5 year tour but they have been gone for much longer. Meanwhile they have left garbage collecting robots like WALL·E to clean up the earth. It spends it's days packing garbage into cubes. Then one day, an advanced robot EVE is dropped off to do reconnaissance. EVE collects samples and blasts everything that moves. When WALL-E shows EVE a plant, her mission is complete and she is retrieved by a spaceship. WALL-E follows EVE and grabs a ride back to cruise ship. It finds the human race are now chubby blobs who are always eating and sitting on their floating chairs.

This is a cute movie. There is no dialog with the robots. The use of robotic beeps and tones create their voices. It's as much fun as any of the best silent movies staring Chaplin or Keaton. Most of the movie takes place without human dialog. It is imaginative and original. It is another one of the amazing offerings from PIXAR.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.