Pineapple Express (2008) Poster

James Franco Is The Real Thing
littlemartinarocena24 September 2008
I laughed more in this movie than in any other of its ilk. Mostly thanks to James Franco. Yes, the James Dean Franco. His comedic timing is startling and his sympathy is all consuming. I think the secret is that we can (Franco allows us) see the human being behind this irresistible caricature. I was totally taken by the strange kind of innocence he exudes. We sense a loyal buddy who is capable of extraordinary generosity. His smile is already an iconic movie landmark. Seth Rogen is also very funny but you can guess that this is actually his character. Nothing wrong with that but James Franco's range is infinite. David Gordon Green makes his "commercial debut" very successfully. The showdown at the end takes a bit too long but all in all this movie is throughly worth it.
223 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Older Viewer
beepboopbeep7 August 2008
I was not interested in seeing this movie as I thought it would be a stupid teen story. My daughter went with her older cousins, she is only 16 and since the theater had strict security I was forced to go in as her guardian. I am 46 years old and I laughed the whole entire movie. By the end I was laughing SO hard that I could not take it anymore. I think I laughed more than the kids. There were so many laugh out loud scenes and the interaction between the characters was pure gold.It really took me back to my younger days-so for you older people this is really one movie you do not want to miss. Be sure to go to the bathroom before because this is definitely one of those pee in your pants movies.
364 out of 588 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vibrant, hilarious mesh of genres, and a different sort of film for David Gordon Green
ametaphysicalshark6 August 2008
There will be many who will dismiss "Pineapple Express" as immature, overly silly, disjointed, and scatter-shot. There will be others who recognize it as a bizarrely artful, playful, loose genre-bending comedy with some outstanding performances, an inspired comedy script, and some great work from director David Gordon Green, certainly one of the finest young directors around.

The latter group is correct. "Pineapple Express" is, as a whole, the best movie the Apatow clan has produced yet. David Gordon Green is unquestionably the best director to direct one of these movies, but this is also a very different sort of movie than the films he usually directs. Does he rise to the challenge? He certainly does. I never would have believed that he was capable of directing such exciting and fun action scenes, or keep the movie's tone steady despite the different elements it consists of being so wildly disparate, but somehow he pulls it off. No other stoner movie can claim to be as artful and well-directed as this film.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's much-anticipated follow-up to "Superbad" is an excellent screenplay, but expect none of the realism and resonance of that film; "Pineapple Express" is all about the laughs, and the laughs are certainly here, and they are practically non-stop, with just about every scene featuring some great dialogue, acting, or the sort of incredible sight gag this movie does so well. This is just great comedy throughout.

In addition to David Gordon Green's excellent work as director, the film is technically superb. The soundtrack and use of music is brilliant, and frequent Gordon Green collaborator Tim Orr's cinematography is consistently great.

"Pineapple Express" will be an inherently divisive film. It didn't get the sort of critical accolades many previous Apatow clan movies did, and I expect audiences will also be a little less unanimous. Indeed, there's little of the critic-pleasing dramatic scenes Apatow's comedies have been praised for, and even when they do pop up they're usually deflated instantly with a joke, and credit has to go to director David Gordon Green for his expert handling of the film's tone, which never becomes schmaltzy, thank the heavens. Really, the whole film is throughly enjoyable except for the very last scene in the film, which contains one of the film's best jokes, but is really hard to buy given the state the characters are in, and also more than a little forced. Aside from that moment the whole thing works beautifully, quite astounding given the mesh of many different genres and sorts of comedy that this is. You either go with this movies sense of humor or you don't, and I imagine more people will enjoy the first three quarters of the movie, before the big, long action scene happens, and lots and lots of violence occurs. I guess you have to have a somewhat morbid sense of humor to laugh at ALL of the jokes in the film, but so what? There are also some nice little tongue-in-cheek references to the film's influences ("they messed with the wrong melon farmers").

The cast really give it their all. It was great to see James Franco back in a comedic role, and his performance steals the show. Rogen is good as usual, Gary Cole is a perfect villain, and it's nice to see the gorgeous and talented Amber Heard finally make a quality film (and get one of the film's funniest scenes as her character's final scene). The supporting cast are also all good in their roles.

There are a lot of reasons why "Pineapple Express" won't work for many people, and they will probably end up being the very reasons the film works for those who like it. The film's plot is inherently silly to an extent (although this is nowhere near the "Anchorman" style of comedy), and one must be prepared for an outright comedy and not something in the vein of "Knocked Up". "Pineapple Express" may end up being more enjoyable for stoners and those with friends who are stoners, but it works on its own as great comedy because the humor has much more range and scope than just marijuana. One of the best comedies in years.

199 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely my favorite Apatow-brand product, and one of the funniest of the year. A comedy with real heart
The_Amazing_Spy_Rises6 August 2008
It's been a year since the glorious Superbad hit theaters, and here we go again: Pineapple Express is the best comedy of the year, at least in this man's opinion. I haven't laughed this hard in a very long time, nor have I enjoyed myself more while doing so. It's got everything! Fire, weed, guns, car chases, explosions, a beautiful lady, Ed Begley Jr., and of course, blood and guts. Yes, I'm reviewing Pineapple Express, and not some twisted horror movie.

What makes this movie so great and accessible (to the viewer that is allowed to see it, mind you) is that it's got something for every kind of comedy fan: ridiculous action gags, the witty and snappy Apatow-brand dialog, funny cops, hilarious pot jokes, and James Franco playing the most lovable stoner of all time. What I really enjoyed most about this movie is that it has real heart and is not afraid to make the audience know it. It's a great buddy movie to see with all your friends. It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl, you'll love Pineapple Express.

James Franco (yes, THAT James Franco), taking a break from the latest intense drama or Spider-Man film, delivers the funniest performance since Sacha Baron Cohen in Borat. His Saul is quite the character, and many people in my audience were hopelessly in love with and rooting for him. Though he's a supporting role, the movie belongs to Franco in every way. His honest, sweet, and hilariously charming performance will have you dying of laughter. Seth Rogen is no slouch on the jokes as well, though his character is somewhat similar to his character in Knocked Up (I really hope he doesn't begin replicating his performances like some other comedians do). Danny McBride of The Heartbreak Kid is a scene stealer as well. I found him absolutely hilarious and great even if his character was a total ass. Gary Cole (who has become like, a cult favorite of mine) is nothing but a bonus as the "villain".

I think a lot of credit needs to be given to director David Gordon Green, who had to have noticed how excellent the first act of the film is, because the film was in serious danger of pulling a "Hancock" and falling flat on its face after the first act because of a somewhat serious second act (I say somewhat, because this is when our characters realize the danger they're in). However, instead of that happening, Green turns the action packed third act into one of the most ridiculously hilarious scenes of recent memory. Of course, what happens is absurd, but because you've had the time of your life up to that point, you really don't care. Featuring one of the greatest lines of all time (in slow motion, uttered by Franco of course), Pineapple has one of the strongest third acts of any comedy out there.

Another very strong thing about this movie is that it never drags, and is almost a complete opposite of Superbad. The style of the jokes is different as well. In Superbad, we had the hard hitting, gut wrenching laughs, and in Pineapple Express, we have a steady flow of crack ups that leave the viewer in stitches and hurting by the end of the movie. It really is an experience to behold. It's one of the funniest movies of the decade, and one of the best theater experiences of this year. My theater clapped several times throughout the film, including at the end (and at the iconic slow motion line).
131 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made me Inhale my popcorn!
braindead-and-happy8 August 2008
Yep, this movie made me laugh so hard at one stage I inhaled a piece of popcorn.

This movie is excellent, It has so many funny moments you'll be laughing through the whole thing. I'd even go as far as to say that it's funnier than superbad.

James Franco gives a spectacular performance as a lazy stoner, at times I believed he was actually under the influence...hmmm.

Seth Rogen once again proves he can put on as good a comedic performance as the veteran comics such as Jim Carrey and Will Farrel, His career will definitely go a long way.

The supporting cast was great and made me laugh a lot which is good since usually you'd be relying on the main actors for a laugh.

I'd recommend this movie mainly for Young adults and teens but if your looking for a silly movie good for a lot of laughs, this is it. 10/10
143 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
idk
carolinesilver5 April 2020
I don't know maaan, i feel like they could've made it better. i mean, they have good actors and the plot is funny... buuut there is something missing
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Franco was the best thing in this movie
her1222 June 2020
James Franco was the best part about this movie. Apparently , Seth Rogan wrote that part for himself but somewhere they gave it to James. That was the last time a good decision was made. I didn't laugh at all. I'm unsure of what people think is so funny. The scenes last way too long, there aren't any jokes and too many characters to keep a cohesive story.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
chrispag21 July 2008
Several laugh out loud moments. I thought that I had seen every funny part in the previews but they did not do this movie justice and James Franco steals the show as Saul.

Seth Rogan is very good and entertaining and Rosie Perez whom I had no faith in for this movie actually performs very well and fits her character perfectly.

But like I said before, this is James Franco's show and he is just hilarious in every scene. I did not expect much from this as I had gotten bored with the previews I was seeing everywhere but the funniest parts of this movie are not shown on TV. Spend the 11 dollars and go see it.
84 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another great comedy from the Apatow group.
mekk20 June 2008
I was lucky enough to see this movie at an advance screening last night, and it was hilarious. Franco's first project with Apatow (in a major role) since "Freaks and Geeks" is another hit in the string of adult comedies from Apatow and co. "Guy humor" dominates the film (crude, rude, and "immature"), but everyone can appreciate the brilliant little quips that come out at the most random times, the great little names the characters call each other, and over the top stupidity from the entire cast which you can tell is generally having a good time with the film. After the bust that "Harold and Kumar 2" turned out to be, this film will be the stoner-comedy of the year and become an instant DVD classic.

Rogen is great in his element again, and Franco is fantastic as the out of whack pot dealer who you just have to love. Even if one does not recreationally ride the "Pineapple Express", this film will still be a complete hit, the film isn't situated around the marijuana element but uses it as a intro to a much grander story and plot that allows for some fantastic action scenes, chases, and plenty of gun fights. Overall, yes this movie is completely silly, immature, and the story is completely illogical, but it doesn't even try to take itself seriously and if it did it would just ruin the magic. I can't wait for the next Apatow/Rogen project and I hope Franco becomes a repeat performer with the group. If you liked my review of this movie, check out my reviews of other movies at "mosmovies"."blogspot"."com". It's been awhile since I went to a movie that had a standing ovation at the end.
74 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kickass Action/ Comedy
beneaththemassacre120 July 2008
I saw Pineapple Express last night At the Just For laughs Festival in Montreal, Canada.

I don't know where to start. First we can all wash out the bad taste that was left in our mouths by Drillbit Taylor. This was by far the best of the Apatow Productions. THANK YOU. The boys have not lost it. Seth Rogen and james Franco were funny as hell. This was not just a stoner movie. Like its predecessors the theme of friendship was prevalent throughout. However the boys added something different to the mix this time, besides weed. Pure OVER the top action, i'm talking explosions, car chases, Ak 47's, guns galore. It was a solid R rated movie, with comedy always there to overshadow the badass action and violence. In an effort to keep this a spoiler free review , All i can leave you with is, go watch this film. I haven't laughed this hard at the movies for quite a while. I was seated next to an old lady who was laughing her brains out, she was like 75 years old.

The poster has earned the space on my bedroom door, need i say more? --- The film was followed by a Q and A by Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow, Ken Jeong, Danny Mc Bride, Craig Ferguson and Evan Goldberg. Who were as down to earth and funny as one would expect. The Q and A alone was worth staying there until 1:30 am.
82 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pineapple Express is good for many things, but the thing that it does best is in making you laugh.
Otoboke10 September 2008
There's no doubt about it, Pineapple Express is a relentlessly funny stoner movie, start to finish with little in the way of compromise; telling the story of two stoners, who end up entangled within a drug conspiracy plot that threatens their lives while smoking plenty of pot along the way, this year's latest instalment to the genre is the finest example of dumb -but well delivered- comedy yet. One discrepancy against it's classification as a stoner comedy however lies in that even if you're not high yourself; even if you've never even been high in your life, there's still lots of fun to be had here as the jokes are broad enough in their design to apply to any ridiculous situation. So while the plant obviously makes a starring role here, the focus is not primarily on it, and the movie is better off as a result.

So far this year we have been treated to an unusually high dosage of stoner comedies, with Pineapple Express being a late third behind the too-dumb-for-it's-own-good Strange Wilderness and the dumb-but-fun Harold & Kumar. However, despite coming in late to the game, the old expression of "saving the best 'till last" seems applicable here. Where previous instalments from this year combined the dumb with surreal through incoherent situations obviously dreamt up from people who were under the influence at the time, Pineapple Express feels silly, but not the extent where the entire feature boils down to caricature comedy. Here the writers take two characters, start them off one place and take them on an adventure not just through crime, car-chases, comical fight scenes and little personal squabbles, but through themselves. It's a combination which could have had a disastrously polarising effect, but the writers get it spot on here.

Main characters Dale Denton (Seth Rogan) and Saul Silver (James Franco) may have alliterative names akin to comic book heroes, but they're certainly not of that kind. Instead, they deal with drugs; Saul is Dale's supplier, and as much as Saul would like to think of Dale as a buddy, Dale wants nothing else to do with him outside of the service he provides. However, after Dale witnesses a murder involving some drug-dealer crimelords, the two are forced to embark on a journey that will have them at odds with each other whether they like it or not. What results of this is a story of friendship, and while the unlikely premise of these guys not exactly getting along does seem a bit shifty, the chemistry between Rogan and Franco is superb enough to allow their characters plenty of growing. To be sure, this isn't a hallmark drama, there are no grandeur statements and no tears are provoked from director David Gordon Green but that's what makes it lovable; it's a story about two regular guys, who get into crazy shenanigans, smoke weed and crack some jokes. It's not enlightening per se, but it's entertaining, and down to earth.

This is where Pineapple Express begins to take the lead in front of its predecessors, as it actually attempts to tell a compelling story with an undoubtedly overblown amount of action, but with grounded drama to bear the weight of its fabrications. Through this fusion of solid characterisation with a ridiculous but conceivable action-packed plot, the film succeeds in creating an engagingly entertaining experience that doesn't just provide excitement and memorable characters, but also manages to tickle the funny bone just as frequently.

Coming from the three guys who last year blessed the screen with the hilarious Superbad, Pineapple Express is a riot start to finish, combining lots of blunt dialogue with slapstick and farce to great effect in ways which made the aforementioned creation as funny as it was. It has to be said that this time around, the pacing isn't quite as tight, and the script's insistence on some scenes' ability to sustain laughter is a little off, and this in turn leads to the movie's only real technical fault. In such moments, jokes will be drawn out for long stretches of time, losing momentum, yet thankfully such scenes are far and few between, and with the pace heightening the more film reaches the conclusion; the frequency sharply decreases with time. Nevertheless, if you don't mind profane dialogue, blunt jokes and plenty of passive violence used mainly for comic effect, then Pineapple Express should please any desire for laughter that you may have.

And that's all it basically comes down to, but what else were you expecting? As a movie, Pineaple Express is an entertaining and at times sweet take on friendship based around two very down to earth characters that most people should be able to relate to in some way or another. As a duo, Rogan and Franco are extremely well matched, with the interplay between the two coming off as naturally comical and aptly delivered to the point of satisfying the movie's biggest pulling point and focus. With some great action scenes tinged with plenty of comedy, all revolving around some memorable characters portrayed by enthusiastic, suitably cast performers who end up within a plot which is admittedly hammy, but fun all the same; Pineapple Express is good for many things, but the thing that it does best is in making you laugh, and it does so with enough frequency to make this one of this year's greater comedies.

• Written by Jamie Robert Ward (http://www.invocus.net)
28 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Laughs
Michael_Elliott12 January 2009
Pineapple Express (2008)

*** (out of 4)

A pothead (Seth Rogan) and his dimwitted dealer (James Franco) hit the road after witnessing a cop (Rosie Perez) murder a man. Pretty soon the two are trying to get away from the cop as well as two drug lords in the middle of a war. As far as pot comedies goes this one here is nearly the best the small genre has to offer. I'm sure Cheech and Chong would give this thing two bongs up as it does contain plenty of laughs but I couldn't help but feel it had the same shortcomings as other Judd Apatow movies. That one issue with this film, as well as the others, is that it runs too long for its own good. Clocking in a nearly two-hours I couldn't help but feel that the film could have lost thirty-minutes and not much would have been missed. This is especially true during the ending shoot out, which just keeps going and going. Outside of that issue this film contains some great big laughs with most of them coming in the form of pot jokes and stuff dealing with stoners. Seth Rogan turns in another winning performance as he gains plenty of laughs from his older guy. James Franco is the real jewel in the film as he's dead-on perfect as the drug dealing loser who just sits around his house getting high, selling pot and watching reruns on television. Franco gets the look down just right but his facial gestures and voice tone perfectly capture that pot head many of us have met in our lives. I thought Perez was pretty much wasted in a thankless role that didn't offer her too much to do. Ed Begley, Jr. has a funny bit as Rogan's girlfriend's father. The screenplay really doesn't offer us any jokes we haven't seen countless times before and in many ways there's not an original idea here but that doesn't really matter because the performances are what makes the movie funny.
33 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Vile, Too Racy, Too Brutal...Loved It.
dcpunkrocka366 August 2008
I went into this thinking I was going to see a drugged up Superbad, let's be honest a lot of Apatow Productions aren't very diverse. This really took a step away from the everyday new generation comedy and did something a little different. This movie just felt like an action all the way, if that's what they were going for then bravo. Of course it had more drug use than most movies, but hey it's Seth Rogan, what did you expect.

The actions scenes were not only original, funny, and different, they were entertainingly brutal. This movie does have a lot of gore, but it is used in the best sense. As far as James Franco, I have never been a fan. I thought he was kind of over the top in Spiderman, I haven't really liked him in any other movies, but I loved him in this, in my own opinion he should stick to comedy.

The only reason I gave this a 7 out of 10 is because as I was writing this I more and more felt like it was one of those movies that will get old if you watch it too much. Don't get me wrong, I was highly entertained, but I don't think I want to see it TOO much.

Overall though...Seth Rogan you've done it again.
58 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not this years SuperBad, but still hilarious.
Colaman136 August 2008
Midnight showing, everyone's stoked to see what may be the biggest comedy of the summer, there are way too many high school kids, and the guy to girl ratio is way out of whack. Not really important because we were all having a good time.

There is no doubt Pineapple Express is highly entertaining; the film is filled with chase scenes, fire, weed, vomit, and even a nice dose of blood and gore. However, the laughs in Pineapple Express aren't so much a waterfall as they are a stream, moving slowly and steadily, never very fast and hard hitting.

You will definitely laugh though, the whole cast put on a great performance. James Franco really shines, and his depiction of a stoner/drug dealer is almost worth the price of admission. I don't think this film hits all the right buttons to make the audience laugh as well as some of Judd Apatow's more recent productions, I remember opening night at SuperBad it was impossible to hear a lot of the jokes through the laughter, and maybe even some crying, this wasn't so much the case with Pineapple Express, but it was still definitely worth watching.
43 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total garbage. Is the average American really this stupid?
bjav42826 September 2008
I'm shocked that this movie currently displays a 7.9/10 rating. Most of the jokes were incapable of making me laugh. Even the best material only drew the slightest chuckle. You know a film is bad when the characters are pot heads and they don't make you laugh. The main character, who was so terrible I won't even waste my time attempting to learn his name, took comedic overacting to a level even the late Chris Farley was incapable of. Every time someone is injured they go into a lengthy screaming and stumbling around session. It's funny seeing people hurt in bizarre and creative ways but this film had neither. It wasn't funny the first time so the other dozen times grew *sarcasm* slightly *sarcasm* repetitive. The story line was too intense and focused at times making me wonder how in the world they thought a serious murder plot could be mixed into a slapstick comedy. Even those with a stoner mentality should be offended at this asinine disaster.
23 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action comedy
masonsaul11 April 2020
Pineapple Express is a great action comedy that balances the action and comedy effectively. Seth Rogen, James Franco and Danny McBride are all great and have amazing chemistry. Craig Robinson and Ken Jeong are really good. David Gordon Green's direction is really good and it's well filmed. It's really funny throughout and well paced. However, it is brought down by its boring villiains.
great
theteamavengers18 March 2020
So i went to see Pineapple Express. I had some exceptions from the IMDb rating, the cast etc. But oh my god this movies was super funny. The acting perfomances were awesome, James Franco gave the best perfomance. The comedy is gold. I laughed through the whole movie. This movie has one of the best comedies ever made. If you wanna sit somewhere for 2 hours and laugh sooo hard during these two hours, then watch Pineapple Express.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
james franco takes this movie to another level
FeastMode24 June 2019
One of my favorite comedies ever. hilarious throughout with an awesome story and good action, lots of memorable scenes and Franco's character is one of my favorite in any movie (about 8 viewings, 5/29/2020)
The Weakest of the Apatow Gang Films
shiftyeyeddog14 August 2008
Easily the weakest of the movies from the Apatow gang. Seth Rogen and James Franco both do fine jobs at portraying their characters, but this one just fails in the writing. The movie is actually quite dull, and all but the two main characters are fairly lame. The story is simply not engaging and individual scenes aren't even funny on their own. And what is the deal with Danny McBride?!? He's not the slightest bit funny, but suddenly he's getting all these featured roles. Let's hope he disappears as fast he appeared on the scene.

Maybe it's funny if you watch it while high yourself. But for the rest of us, it's just humorless and boring.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good... not good at all...
eXsio19 January 2009
This movie is a proof, that IMDb's average rating can be deceitful... Pineapple Express is the worst pot-smoking movie, I've seen so far... it is boring and not funny at all...the plot is silly, dialog lines are poor...If you really want to see a smoking film, see "Up in Smoke" or "How High". These are way better than Pineapple Express. There isn't much more to tell You guys about this flick (But I have to fill 10 lines in order to post this comment :P) It's just so poor and overrated... so if you haven't smoked couple of joints, don't watch this movie...it will suck for You just like it sucked for me. Wasted 2 hours of my life.
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
you don't need to go to this movie high to find it funny, even though half the theater will be
allthatremains886 August 2008
Overall movie was really good it'll make you laugh literally every 5 minutes

James Franco played the stereotypical stoner very well. and Seth Rogen can make a movie funny just by standing there.

It's one of few comedies with legit action scenes in it. The fight scenes were hilarious because its exactly what you would picture a stoner doing if he got in a fight.

Ex: Purple Nurples

No special KUNG FU training for this movie or anything like that.

WEED AND FIGHT SCENES, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT GUY
37 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst films I have ever seen
jasoncermak23 February 2009
This was one of the worst films I have ever seen. You truly get a sense that this was written and filmed by high school students.

People being high isn't funny. Just because some guy is stoned on screen doesn't make the scene funny.

Maybe stoners that can relate to the idiocy and bland humor would find this film enjoyable.

James Franco and McBride were the best part of the film, with some great performances, sadly even those couldn't save this one.

I'm blown away how a film like this could get the budget it did, and the cast that signed on, it really amazes me that a cast like this would do such a bad film.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7,2 ??!! you have to be kidding
gee81-115 September 2009
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Not funny at all. You have to be very very drunk or under dump making chemicals to find this movie entertaining or even funny. Just don't waste your lifetime on this bullshit. Go out with your friends and smoke some pot, or not, just don't watch this crap. If you don't have any friends go find some or watch Chinese soaps or commercials, just everything is better than this. Movies like Pineapple Express are just created to make stupid people even more stupid. It is ridiculous how people who are NOT stoned trying to play stoned. But as long as there are stupid teenager kids spending their money for films like that, some greedy assholes will produce something like that to entertain them with their on stupidity.
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's just like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle but without a plot and not funny
rann-524 August 2008
The trailers are really, really funny. Too bad they couldn't get whoever put the trailer together to direct the film. It's like they took the plot of Harold and Kumar, changed the names, threw in a chase scene, a love scene and a "I'm going to kill you" scene or two and tried to duct tape it together. Duct tape can be used for many things but not even duct tape could help this movie.

Someone did their homework and put together all the elements of a successful movie: A fat guy, a thin guy, a black-haired guy, a blonde-guy, love interest, a few minorities, drugs, awkward scene where the leads kind of get a little gay (subconsciously,) car chases, violence, the mob. However, this film should be on the unemployment line as it just doesn't work.

Very predictable plot, what there is of it. A few one-liners that are funny and crooks that are just too namby-pamby to be taken seriously. It's a comedy but the villains should have watched a movie or taken an acting lesson on how to be the bad guys. It's billed as a comedy but it's more of a disaster film.

This is like one of Jim Carrey's movies where all the funny moments can be packaged into the trailer. The only bright spot in this film is that Jim Carrey and his badly capped teeth isn't in this picture.

I don't smoke so maybe it would have been better watching if one is high but I don't even think being wasted is going to help this film. The pseudo-gay scene where they're tied up is much more funny in the trailer than in the movie. In fact, everything in the trailer points to a really great movie but somehow it just doesn't work.
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grist for the weedwhacker
ween-312 April 2009
Sometimes you just have to wonder who's greenlighting this kind of unwatchable boring stoner garbage. You're gonna need heavier drugs than marijuana to find this puppy even remotely funny. "Pineapple" makes you're average Cheech and Chong movie look like "King Lear" by comparison. Look..if you're into this sort of thing, might as well pick up a Kevin Smith flick and do it the right way. And for those Hollywood geniuses who insist on foisting Sean Rogen films on an unsuspecting populace, may the good lord have mercy on your souls.

Give this waste of time the "Sticks and Stems" award it deserves. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.