Breaking Bad (TV Series 2008–2013) Poster

(2008–2013)

3,915 Reviews
Really Great
FiRE0104 July 2021
I have never watched a show that is as consistently genuine and engaging as Breaking Bad. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest shows ever, and it consistently improves as it progresses.

The Journeys of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are unforgettable. These are some of the best-written characters to ever come from a pen-hitting paper.

My praises for the acting and cinematography are unending. Some of the shots are intricate works of art, and I was rarely distracted by the acting. The performances are excellent to the extent that it feels improper to refer to them as performances.

Overall, Breaking Bad is able to consistently maintain the engagement and technical quality seen in only the best of movies, and in terms of tone, every intense moment is executed with excellence, and always achieves the impact it reaches for.

I feel like the show's plot in the early seasons lacks a certain level of complexity due to it not having a vast amount of plot threads, and the start is a bit slow-paced, but Breaking Bad is an absolute must-watch. If you have mixed feelings towards Season 1, trust me, it is only uphill from there.

If there was ever a series you could call perfect, I think this might be it. This show is about as pure as Walt's meth.
820 out of 864 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn near perfect!
Supermanfan-139 November 2021
Breaking Bad is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the greatest tv shows ever created...it's damn near perfect! I know that people say that about a ton of different shows but Breaking Bad really is universally thought of as one of the greatest shows of all-time. All you have to do is go google "greatest tv shows of all-time" and I guarantee you that it's at or near the top of every list you'll find and there's a reason for that...because it is! Every season is just as brilliant as the others, which everyone knows is almost impossible for a show to do but one which Breaking Bad absolutely pulls off!! If you're one of the few people who still haven't seen this amazing show then do yourself a favor and go watch this immediately...you will not be disappointed!
177 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Among the best and most addictive shows there is
TheLittleSongbird13 November 2017
'Breaking Bad' is one of the most popular rated shows on IMDb, is one of those rarities where every season has either been very positively received or near-universally acclaimed critically and where all of my friends have said nothing but great things about.

Very few shows in recent memory had me so hooked from the very start that before the week was over the whole show had been watched, especially when for a lot of shows now airing watching one episode all the way through can be an endeavour. 'Breaking Bad' had that effect on me, and its reputation as one of the best, consistently brilliant and most addictive shows in many years (maybe even ever) is more than deserved in my eyes. Its weakest season is perhaps the first season, understandable as any show's first season is the one where things are still settling.

Actually everything is established remarkably from the very start, but once the writing and characterisation becomes even meatier the show reaches even higher levels.

Visually, 'Breaking Bad' is one of those shows that is both stylish and beautiful, with photography and editing that are cinematic quality and put a lot of films today to shame, where there are a lot of visually beautiful ones but also some painfully amateurish looking ones. The music always has the appropriate mood, never too intrusive, never too muted.

The writing for 'Breaking Bad' is a fine example to all shows of how to have a lot of style but also to have a lot of substance. The dialogue throughout is thought-provoking and tense, while also have a darkly wicked sense of humour and heart-tugging pathos. The stories are texturally rich, intimate, tense and layered, with the pace of them consistently deliberate but taut. The direction couldn't be better.

Can't say anything bad about the acting. Bryan Cranston is phenomenal as one of the most fascinating anti-heroes, or even of any kind of character, in either film or television. Aaron Paul has never been better and Anna Gunn is affecting. The characters are compelling in their realism.

Overall, describing it as brilliant doesn't do 'Breaking Bad' justice. 10/10 Bethany Cox
385 out of 440 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
99.1% pure
KinoKoopaKid30 July 2021
One of the greatest shows ever, the pacing is excellent. The characters are well developed and entertaining. The show ties everything together very neatly. It's honestly a show that get's better each time you view it. It's cathartic to see Walter break bad and how the story unravels is the best way it could have. Very good storytelling, well done to Vince Gilligan.
210 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you mix Scarface, Robin Hood and maybe Tyler Durden with enough meth - you'll get a mean cocktail called 'Heisenberg'
gogoschka-112 January 2014
If you are among the few who haven't seen it yet: believe the hype, it really is THAT good. Breaking Bad may not depict reality the way 'Generation Kill' or 'The Wire' did - but then it's not about that, either. From an artistic point of view - performances, writing, direction, camera, music - this show is every bit as good as the other two mentioned above, but unlike those, 'Breaking Bad' just wants to entertain and therefore enjoys a lot more creative freedom.

The show plays like the daydream fantasy of any underachieving, struggling middle class family man who's had to bury all his dreams (I mean: who wouldn't want to be a meth-kingpin for a little while?), before it turns into a nightmare. One could almost say that 'Heisenberg' is Walter White's 'Tyler Durden'(for those who don't get the reference: watch 'Fight Club' - you won't regret it).

For pure entertainment value, this is simply the best show I've ever seen. Every single one of the main characters has already reached the status of a screen icon - when does that ever happen?! Most fun I've ever had watching a TV-show and an instant classic.
983 out of 1,176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best
jehuschultz19 February 2020
I cannot stress enough how good this show is. I've watched a lot of TV in my life and this show still remains the best show I've ever seen.
1,427 out of 1,577 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok I guess
bruhperson7 March 2019
Re-Watched it 7 times and counting. I guess I liked it.
3,761 out of 4,093 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!!!!

Casting-PERFECT!!

Beginning-PERFECT!!

Climax-PERFECT!!

Acting-BEYOND PERFECT!!

Overall-(as I said) ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.
202 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By far the greatest show I've ever watched
FishDrowned9 November 2021
Breaking Bad feels like fever dream. A really REALLY good fever dream. The directing is absolutely perfect. The characters bounce off each other in this really well done way. I can really feel the true emotion and pure character coming from each one. I can feel the greed, lust, money hunger animals each of these characters are. There are no true heroes in this story (except hank I love u).
60 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Greatest of All-Time!
DiCaprioFan1314 October 2022
Breaking Bad is every bit as good as everyone says it is. It is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the greatest tv shows ever created. I know that people say that about a ton of different shows but Breaking Bad really is universally thought of as one of the greatest shows of all-time. All you have to do is look at the ratings and read through all the reviews to see how loved this show really is. Every season is just as incredible as the others, which everyone knows is almost impossible for a show to do but one which Breaking Bad absolutely pulls off!! If you're one of the few people who still haven't seen this amazing show then do yourself a favor and go watch this immediately!
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I could rate it 20/10, I would.
lerrom11 October 2022
Where do I even begin? The writing is near perfect, the actors and characters are all amazing, the over-arching story just gets only better and better. This show is just a bullet train, this just goes and refuses to stop. It pulls no punches, everything that happens has all the impact. And honestly, there isn't a single bad episode. Every episode, yes even "Fly", serves a purpose, and honestly, shouldn't be skipped over upon first viewing. And for a show that ended in 2013, it's still relatively popular and beloved among people. Everyone I know still loves the show and loves it to death.

There isn't much else to say, other than that this show is perfect. 10/10.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind Blowing
valis194926 February 2009
BREAKING BAD:Season One explodes like a sucker punch to the gut, and is nothing short of mind-blowing. The pilot for this series is a definite "Must See", and stands with the greats of Action/Adventure Television and Cinema. This segment begins at such a giddy peak, that you think the only way forward would be to tell the tale as a long flashback. However, through a marvelous piece of editing and writing, the plot miraculously moves forward from that point. Bryon Cranston's idiosyncratic performance is a joy to behold. He embodies a man who is against a rock, and an even harder place, who has no other option but to throttle his higher aspirations and grimly carry on. His solace and validation in middle-class morality and virtuous conduct is long gone. I eagerly look forward to more of this ambitious, entertaining series.
775 out of 1,042 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont watch this show
Dont you ever watch this show as it is so perfect u will never be able to watch another show
2,609 out of 2,916 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
arguably the greatest dramatic series... ever?
Quinoa19848 February 2015
It's hard for me to be super objective about this show. Over the course of 62 episodes, right from the start, for me, Vince Gilligan and his team of writers and directors crafted a piece of neo-noir-western American tragedy that almost never, if ever, lost its footing. In its story of the rise and fall of Walter White (or his fun alias Heisenberg) and how he becomes a Meth "Emperor" in Albuquerque during his run of lung cancer, we get all kinds of dramaturgy here. There's conflict, conflict, conflict going on in this show, always, from the familial (what do I tell my wife, Skylar, or not tell her, what doesn't she tell me, how far do the lies and deceit and horrors go?) to the more genre-leaning (how much criminals go in their crazy s***, which is established early on with the throw of the particular chemical and the "This... is not Meth" explosion) to the dark comedy that gives the Coens a run for their money (Better Call Saul!) - not to mention how it made Aaron Paul just as much as star as Bryan Cranston, both working actors along with Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt and Bob Odenkirk. It all... fits.

Often with a show it's easy to let things slip, even (or especially) on the great shows when it comes to character dynamics, repetition, things that can be hard to control over the space of such a long period of time. But everything is so carefully mapped out, season after season, for the unpredictable to keep happening and for the dramatic beats to gain tension and mystery. Just take how the writers set up, so patiently, over a season, the opening clues of objects and debris all outside of a house, and when you finally find out what all this is about - BAM right to the gut.

What one comes away with, outside of the tremendous performances (you might gripe that Cranston got too many Emmys, but... what didn't he deserve with every fiber of his acting bad-assery?) and the consequences that are built up for all the characters, including those we think are made of rock and steel (Mike Erhmantraut), is the world of moral terror. What is morality in this world? There isn't any. It's the Wild West, but crossed with something like, I dunno, American Beauty. What happens when you take a hardcore drug-gangster tale of suspense and warp it with dark comedy about what it means to be a man in society today, or what it means to have a family (and believe me, there are many moments that are downright haunting, harrowing to the soul that speak to this, especially as it builds and builds in its last eight episodes)? You get... this. Perfection.

I wish I could tell you there's problems with the show, but rarely can I find any. I'm sure if I dug deep enough some might be there, a cliché exploited for the drug-war scenarios or having a baby around for easy drama or theatrics. But so many times on this show you - or I should say I - get thrown curve balls that really have no other way of working out except how they do. When a moment like Walter White in his crawl space discovering a terrible revelation and going from agony to abhorrent laughter arrives, it's just one of those amazing moments of drama in any American medium. It might be throwing praise like gravy on a Thanksgiving platter, but I'm reminded of Nicholson's comment once on Kubrick: everyone acknowledges he's the man, and I still think that underrates him.
65 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the GOATest GOAT of all GOATs
FeastMode18 August 2019
PERFECT

Season 1: 8 stars. Too awesome (3 viewings)

Season 2: 9 stars. Amazing (3 viewings)

Season 3: 9 stars. (3 viewings)

Season 4: 10 stars. (3 viewings)

Season 5: 10 stars. Perfection at its finest. So smart. So amazing. Best show ever. (first half - 3 viewings, second half - 2 viewings)
58 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best
otnememento-221 February 2020
The best series I have seen in my whole life, even better than the wire.
316 out of 433 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As close as one can come to view perfection
alexander-434489 August 2021
Everything from the subtle details, to the unmatched writing and the perfect cast, to the very beautifully shot scenes. It may very well be the best Tv-show out there. The story, even with some creative liberties, is well grounded, believable and feels very real. The show, unlike others, ages like fine wine. The more you watch and the longer you sink in the better it gets. I can think of few series which grow stronger and better every season. It's not only worth sinking your teeth into, it's worth eating. Breaking Bad is a timeless piece and it will stand even long into the future, and will forever be one of the best Tv-shows to ever come out.
51 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is brilliant
tobydale4 October 2022
What hasn't already been said about Breaking Bad?

It's brilliant.

4,500+ reviewers here on IMDB have probably said all that needs saying - but I've just watched it all through again and I'm gonna add my bit.

We don't know the drug producing criminal underworld. We don't know the anger of a frustrated genius. We (in the main) don't know how we would think if we had cancer and not much time to provide for our family. Breaking Bad starts with these things and boy - does it get bad...!

Everything about this works. There is a bit of Jesse in all of us, a bit of Walt in all of us, Skyler, Marie, Hank - they are all a lot like us. But some have different capabilities than others.... The characters and acting is excellent, the camera work in New Mexico superb. The story, drama and the build-ups are relentless.

It's the descent, the ego, the destruction of - pretty much everything. Then there is the fragility, the feeling of "in-too-deep"; so many feelings are brought to the surface here - all in a completely extreme but somehow believable way. Breaking Bad is extraordinary.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS is a cautionary tale!!!
mamasan41-829-17555311 August 2021
Everything at every moment could have been decided better if truth had been told! Am watching a few seasons to remember! I proped up in bed and got over surgery with this series and LOVED MIKE!!! Wanted to strangle Marie!!! Good acting when you feel like strangling them! Don't smoke. Tell the truth. THINK before you act. Love, Granny.
33 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those days ain't gonna come back..
manishsingh-0329931 May 2019
When you finish the show you'll never be the same..I guarantee you
1,756 out of 2,002 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Addicted: Meth or Math.
alanbenfieldjr27 June 2017
Drug wars, meth, the lot. I thought no thank you. I kept hearing how good it was and I kept saying: "No thank you" Last January I got sick, one of those illnesses you can't quite figure out. Maybe it was pre and post election depression, I don't know. But I stayed in bed for almost 10 days and then it happened. I saw the first episode and I was immediately and I mean immediately, hooked. I saw the entire series in 9 days. Voraciously. Now I had time to reflect. Why I wonder. When I think about it the first thing that comes to mind is not a thing it's Bryan Cranston. I know the concept was superb as was the writing but Bryan Cranston made it all real. His performance, the creation of Walter White will be studied in the Acting classes of the future. He is the one that pulls you forward - as well as backwards and sideways - then I realized that his creation acquired the power that it acquired, in great part thanks to the extraordinary cast of supporting players. I could write a page for each one of them but I'm just going to mention Aaron Paul. I ended up loving him. I developed a visceral need to see him find a way out. Well, what can I tell you. I know that one day, maybe when my kids are old enough, I shall see "Breaking Bad" again. I can't wait.
662 out of 865 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drugs
bevo-1367830 March 2020
I like the bit where they make crystal meth in the back of an RV
59 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best TV show ever made.
xpinerhd16 November 2019
I wanna delete my brain and watch it again like I never knew it.
1,309 out of 1,510 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hello, Mr. Cranston - Meet Ms. Emmy...
cchase26 January 2008
As the clueless, hapless and hopeless father of four on the celebrated series MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, Bryan Cranston came into his own, as he did an amazing balancing act that juggled slapstick, pathos and insanity all at once, proving that not only did "father NOT know best", but more than likely never would.

Now he essays the role of another father in the new series BREAKING BAD, but it's a shocking, bracingly refreshing turn that takes his 'Three Stooges' repertoire of grunts, shrieks, barks and neurotic ticks and virtually throws them out the window. Some of those qualities are still there, but unlike MALCOLM, BREAKING is the blackest of black comedies. When I first heard about it, the reviews I read compared it heavily (and favorably) to the Coen Brothers' dark crime comedy FARGO. And the comparisons are aptly warranted.

This is one of those series where the less you know about it going in, the better, but just to set your mind reeling with the possibilities, here it is in a nutshell: Cranston plays high school chemistry teacher Walter White, who is constantly battling the lackadaisical attitudes of his disinterested students, the looming specter of financial disaster - by supplementing his paltry teacher's salary with a second job at a local car wash, and trying to cope with the impending arrival of a new baby, even as he and his wife raise their disabled teenage son, whom unlike many stereotypical portrayals of handicapped kids is no Pollyanna-like angel.

Then in the midst of all this, Walter makes a shocking discovery: he has inoperable lung cancer, and therefore only a few years left to live at best. Facing the very real possibility of leaving his family struggling not only with his death, but a financial situation that could only end in catastrophe, Walter suddenly has a revelation, thanks to an idea handed to him by his boorish brother-in-law, who works with the DEA - he decides to become a crystal meth dealer.

Okay, so while you're letting your brain take that all in, you also need to know that this is one of those defining roles where you just know that the lead actor will get Emmy recognition, whether he intended to or not. That is just how good Cranston is as Walter. In fact, he's every bit as good as Michael C. Hall's Dexter Morgan, James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano or Harold Perrineau's criminally under-appreciated Augustus Hill. And he's backed by an amazing supporting cast of mostly new or unfamiliar faces (with the exception of Dean Norris as the brother-in-law).

You can tell from the word 'go' that writer/producer/director Vince Gilligan (former head writer/exec producer on THE X FILES) has been champing at the bit for a while to let fly with a project like this. And if the first episode is any indication, AMC has another real winner on its hands. So MAD MEN will need to move over and make some room...since BREAKING BAD isn't the kind of series to "ask nicely."

Which brings up another important point: this is not a series for everyone, the way that FARGO and Showtime's kindred-spirit drug dramedy WEEDS are not mainstream, either. This is sharp, biting, satirical social commentary that draws blood when it sinks its teeth in, and you are guaranteed to wince even as you laugh out loud at Cranston's dead-on portrayal of a MAN on the edge of a nervous breakdown (well, more like over the edge.)

A caveat for would-be viewers, though, and a very ironic one at that: AMC has applied its ham-fisted method of editing its movies to this series as well, unfortunately, making the channel the LAST place you want to see it. The best thing to do is to check out the premiere episode whenever you can catch a rerun on AMC, then hustle on over to iTunes and download it so you can watch it again. Some very important scenes and some impressive establishing shots have been "edited for time and content" from the broadcast version, and this is material that IS essential to your experience viewing this show. There is a lot more to the characters and situations than you will be allowed to see on basic cable. So as you watch, keep that in mind.

And after you are done marveling at this magnificent character study sketched in desperation, you can wonder as I did, whether Bryan Cranston will bother preparing a speech for next year's Emmys. I sure hope he does...thanks to his work on BREAKING BAD, he'll need it.
518 out of 782 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 10/10 show.
d_sa13 October 2019
If there is any show deserves a 10/10, it's Breaking Bad, Simply the greatest.
571 out of 724 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.