Eat Pray Love (2010) Poster

(2010)

Me,me, me, me, me and the others
liufilms-yl15 August 2010
I felt self conscious and embarrassed somehow. Is this the model woman we should be inspired by? Oh my God! She's like a bad replica of a mediocre man. She abandons her husband and he's the one, quite rightly, who feels betrayed. She uses James Franco and then throws him away. Keeps Richard Jenkins at arms length until she discovers he has something that may be useful to her and then, Javier Bardem...She shouts at him I don't have to love you to love myself. What? She reeks of an awful case of selfishness but as she is played by Julia Roberts the whole thing becomes rather confusing. Is she a modern heroine? Oh God, I hope that wasn't the intention. I felt as far away from her even further away from the character she played in "My Best Friend's Wedding" Remember that one? In that one she becomes a criminal, really, yes, a criminal, to ruin her friend's wedding. Oblivious to the fact that's he's clearly happy with Cameron Diaz. No, she's only worried about herself. I'm giving "Eat Pray Love" a 3 and not a 1 because some landscapes, geographic as well as culinary are, quite simply, breath taking. Also Javier Bardem is worth the price of the very expensive ticket.
344 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Epidermic Journey
claudiaeilcinema19 August 2010
I did read the book but, I had hoped that this was going to be like "The Bridges Of Madison County". The film so much better than the book thanks to Meryl Streep's Francesca, a woman I could follow and learn from in every way. Here, my hero, Julia Roberts is as static as the page that originated her character. I couldn't and wouldn't get interested in her. Women, no matter how independent, remain nurturers by nature. I was desolate. I sided with her husband, Billy Crudup, totally. And what about the younger guy, James Franco, she takes instead of giving and she also takes from Richard Jenkins and Javier Bardem in Bali. It is in fact in Bali where I detected a glimpse of real emotion an emotion provoked by somebody else's feelings. I could see a film about that woman. Julia feels detached, as if she was just going through the motions. I'm sorry critics and public ganged up against her for her work in "Mery Reilly" An actress of Julia's talent and beauty could have contributed a sensational gallery of different women. Instead she seems stacked in this shrill, angry lady with very little to say.
178 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
aawhitham13 August 2010
I loved the book. I thought Julia Roberts as Liz was fantastic casting. The trailer looked awesome. I smiled every time I saw it. Turns out, I loved everything about this movie except the movie.

Long story short, it's all of the arc of the book, without any of the passion. While never horrible, this film simply made me feel nothing.

I found the book soulful, moving, even transformative at times. The greatest emotion I felt from the film was hunger (for Italian pizza), thirst (for Italian wine), and an occasional dizziness due to director Ryan Murphy's apparent recent discovery of how to "pan." It was laughable camera-work throughout the first 45 minutes, and occasionally throughout.

The first 1/2 hour of the film was almost unbearably bad, even though the first section of the book was amongst my favorites. Perhaps someone who did not read the book could enjoy this movie, but I somehow doubt it. One time Liz made a joke, that was a nice break from the feeling of being in a lukewarm bathtub for 2 1/2 hours. Not unpleasant, just meh.

Instead of finding Liz intelligent and thoughtful, she seemed selfish, boring, and obsessed with men. Instead of finding spirituality, she seemed vapid. When the character becomes shallow, a film centered around that character becomes a throw away. Maybe I'll just watch the trailer again.
272 out of 353 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What planet is she from?
roastmary-115 August 2010
I love travelogues and I'm a fan of Julia Roberts but, what happened here? I'm not sure in what period, time wise, it this set. The only turmoil seems to be in this very selfish forty-something. What about the rest of the world? She goes for a sort of journey of discovery in a world that doesn't really exist. Did I miss something? No wars, no economic crisis, no nothing, only the intimate qualm of a woman who I, personally, cannot feel represented by. I grant you I'm from another generation but, please! What is this. I loved the food and Javier Bardem and it is in fact the Bardem episode that brings some kind of recognizable something to the proceedings. So, let me recapitulate and ask you if we've seen the same movie...A woman facing an existential crisis and moves out from her marital abode without even having a discussion about it with her husband - a scrumptious Billy Crudup - then she has an affair with James Franco - who wouldn't, right? - but the Franco in this movie is just a plain reflection of the Franco from "Milk" just to name one title. The Naples presented here seems out of the mind of someone who's never been to Naples. I don't know what to say. I'm a bit puzzled and, I should confess, a bit annoyed.
293 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This. Movie. Sucks.
flh46200218 August 2010
Never read the book and thanks to this well-produced wretched film never will. The IMDb synopsis is inaccurate... you get no sense this broad is trying to have a kid or that her marriage has been failing. She one day decides she doesn't want it anymore and, props to the acting of Crudup, the husband has no reason to know why. Her subsequent lover is left with the same "huh?" moment. It's as if she needs to punish anyone who treats her well.

Only good looking men fall in love with Liz, and everyone admires her. She dumps her lovers and husband and the only friend that will tell her what she needs to hear, in the belief that "balance" lies so far outside herself that she has to travel the world (on a very tight schedule) to seek enlightenment. How she pays for it is never hinted at. And to have this bone-thin creature lecture another bone-thin creature on the need to "just enjoy eating, we can always buy a bigger pair of jeans" is insulting AND laughable. That the scene is followed by two bone-thin actresses faking attempts to "squeeze into" jeans is just insulting.

And the punch line? The woman who has wasted 2.5 hours of your life whining that everyone around her says she needs a man finally finds "balance"... by finding a man. And FYI EVERY man in this film is sensitive and caring. I have to say that the direction and very good supportive acting presents an effective image of all sorts of energetic life going on around Liz (and inviting her to be part of it) while she sits whining to herself in voice-over. But the unreality of EVERYONE LOVING HER is just a bit lame.

Fiction? Not much.

Oh, and why did I spend money to see this? A friend convinced me it would be great, and she is such a good friend and enjoyed it so much I will never tell her exactly how much I despised it. See? For people you care about sometimes you hold yourself back.

FYI Richard Jenkins is the only person Julia Roberts' Liz really connects to... and even that is ruined by a last-minute "Hollywood" moment. No spoiler here, you'll see it lumbering toward you like an elephant in the desert.
272 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Narcissism on Steroids
jeannel2003-618-51128113 February 2011
I didn't read Elizabeth Gilbert's autobiographical book on which this movie is based (and I'm not sure I want to after viewing this movie, although I'm sure the book is wittier and more inspiring), but even reading the New York Times book review I can see that the movie missed the boat. As such, Julia Roberts plays a character who takes the prize for being a world class narcissist. A more self-centered heroine would be hard to find. After asking her heartbroken husband, played by Billy Crudup, for a divorce because she is not happy and needs to find herself, she jumps into an affair a struggling actor, whom she leaves as soon as her divorce becomes final and she is free to travel to Italy, India and Bali, to spend a year trying to sort out her id. I do not recall the movie making clear how she can financially afford to do so (she forfeits everything to her husband in exchange for the divorce), but elsewhere I read that Ms. Gilbert obtained an advance from her publisher to write a book based on her experiences eating, praying and loving for the year.

In the movie, Liz eats her way through Italy, struggles with meditation in India -- where she meets the most obnoxious, arrogant fellow traveler, played by Richard Jenkins, who browbeats her until she learns to cherish him as a friend -- then moves on to Bali where she falls in love and literally sails off into the sunset with him.

Throughout this tedious film, Liz's actions seem to reflect the influence of the person or persons with whom she has been with most recently; she doesn't seem to have a mind of her own, or heart, for that matter. The only spark of humanity that we see in Liz is when she emails her friends asking them to pass on getting her a birthday present and instead send month to help a divorced woman in Bali to afford a house for her and her young daughter; apparently divorced women in Bali have a rank slightly higher than dogs (nice place).

I've experienced the charms of Italy--its wonderful scenery and food, and somewhat insane men--and don't need this movie to entice me; however, I might be put off India and Bali as a result of seeing this movie. One could argue that it is always a pleasure to watch Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem and Billy Crudup, who blessedly all played themselves and not their miserable characters, none of which I would ever want to meet.

Is there a woman -- or man -- who would not love to chuck it all for a year and travel the globe in search of self-discovery? Most of us cannot do this because we have responsibilities and loyalties and are not financially independent. This drab story fails to connect on any level except for pointless self-indulgence. Instead, treat yourself to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant, dab on a little Shalimar and watch Gone With The Wind, a truly romantic epic with a narcissistic heroine who is interesting.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I have never written a review before....
EvilDonut1313 August 2010
But this is easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. However, there are some (very small) silver linings.

For instance, with Julia Roberts, Richard Jenkins, Billy Crudup, James Franco, and Javier Bardem, I had high expectations. I award one half star for each actor, and round up out of kindness.

But then... the movie started, and the most agonizing 2+ hours of my life ensued.

First, some background information. I went to see Eat Pray Love for my dear mother and free popcorn. She asked me earlier today, and I, being the loving son, agreed to accompany her.

Within ten minutes I had realized what a disastrous mistake I had made. I am an empathetic person, and I had no idea it was possible for a film to give me have no feelings whatsoever for protagonist.

That is not true, at times I wanted her to be hit by a train. I have never left a movie that I had paid for, but eventually my mother and I were plotting ways to escape. We settled on screaming "Mouse!" or "Rodent!" or "Fire!" but decided it was not worth the social awkwardness.

Instead we sat through, as I said, the most agonizing 2+ hours of film, ever. A summary ensues...

Whine-Whine-Divorce-Whine-Cry-Travel-Whine-Eat-Whine-Feminist Bullshit-Whine-Elevate Importance-Whine-Whine-Travel-Whine-Attempt Meditation-Whine-Get Better at Meditation with help of Hippie-Whine-Elevate Importance to Unknown Levels-Whine-Whine-Travel-Whine-Whine-"Fall in Love" I think that is pretty much it. Do not see this film.
175 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
400 pages or 2.5 hours of BS
tavives20 August 2010
Who writes these types of stories, and why does Hollywood have to keep churning out these types of movies? Successful woman with a husband who loves her isn't happy with her life because she has some sort of neurosis and feels "trapped." So we all get treated to 400 pages or 2.5 hours of BS while said woman goes and "finds herself." And we are all supposed to believe that this is all just hunky dory? And we're supposed to excuse the fact that she is acting selfish by tearing apart people's lives (mostly the aforementioned loving husband) because she has go on this "liberating" journey of self-discovery where "she doesn't have to love the man to love herself?" I'm sorry, I'm calling BS on this. If the main character of this story were male, women's groups would be screaming, protests would be taking place, and the movie would be the punching bag subject of every talk show from Oprah to The View.

A message for anyone (but particularly women) that sees themselves in Julia Roberts character: Get some much needed and overdue professional help with your problem. You have a deep psychological disorder and it is NOT OK to make people miserable because of it.
61 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Freudian Pizza
marcosaguado14 August 2010
Two moments have stayed with me, one in particular: Javier Bardem crying as he says goodbye to his 19 year old son. The moment provokes a reaction on Julia Roberts's character that makes her totally human. The moment comes on the last third of the film so I thought it was a bit too late to start my relationship with her. The other moment happens at the beginning after she decides to walk away from her marriage and realizes she has broken her husband's heart. Terrific Billy Crudup fighting back tears as the elevator door closes. I love Julia Roberts but I can't quite buy her "philosophical face" 42 years of age in the new millennium is far too young for that kind of crisis, specially when the crisis is provoked by something missing in her. So, okay, a journey of discovery, but then...? The discovery is that she knew it all along. What next. I must say the guys in the movie get the prize, third price really. The first price goes to the location, second price to the food - goodness, the food! - and third to the guys. Bardem fantastic, Richard Jenkins superb - Billy Crudup surprisingly real, James Franco also great and Luca Argentero another plus.
161 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful to look at -- but impossible to care about
fifibelle12 August 2010
When I read the book last year, I had just lost my job, was looking for a new one and eating everything that was bad for me, so I enjoyed Liz's misery and newfound joys. But now that I'm content, in this new phase of life, I find myself annoyed by people who create their own drama and then whine about it. So I would not have enjoyed the book if I were to read it now. Although everyone does a good job in this film, and the scenery is breathtaking -- now I want to go to Rome!!!-- I really couldn't stand Liz. She has everything but whines about how "I don't even know how to be HERE!" I meet people in my new job who are fighting cancer every day -- they deserve the opportunity to whine (and few do, I might add). But pretty people who have everything and think they deserve more just tick me off. And it was a long painful sit. I do love the men in this movie -- each one of them is so good. And Julia Roberts does what she can with this selfish character. I just don't want to spend any more time with spoiled Liz. The time I spent watching her only ticked me off. I cannot recommend it, unless you're self centered, indulged and rich -- this could be your inspiration. Phoo!
275 out of 399 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boring, boring, boring.
Heath2114 October 2010
This film has nothing going for it. - Cardboard characters, puerile story, cheesy dialog. Did the characters draw me in - no - I didn't care what happened to the characters and I would have walked out except I was with friends. I got sick of close ups of Julia Roberts trying to act, and the predictable and clichéd script. I looked at my watching twice during the film - something that I can not recall doing before. The scene with the women buying a bigger size jeans was laughable, as there was absolutely no difference in their appearance and they were still very slim. The man that she met in the Ashram's story was acted out in such a dreadful way. It is such a skill to create emotion in movie-goers, and no way was this achieved.
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A shallow selfish tale...
tanjotasu15 August 2010
Since I haven't touched the book, so I can't make that comparison. I walked in the movie thinking this lady's going to find herself through her travels and somehow inspire millions of us.

It turns out that the movie is about a smart, successful, somewhat good-looking author who has a very loving husband, am amazing job that lets her travel the world - and is still confused about her life and what she wants.

I thought there was going to be some tragedy or something that makes her want to leave her life.. but nope.. she's just been looking for a way out the whole time and putting the responsibility on a medicine man's palm reading, she leaves her husband, and her life.

As we travel with her, we realize that she's not really taking in what each of these places have to offer (except maybe for the language and non-verbal communication in Italy). The only thing we saw in India was the traffic and the arranged marriage of a minor. And Bali was more of a tourist departments commercial.

Essentially she was a superfluous tourist who just went to three different places without really making any kind of real journey.

The ending is formulaic with no deep meaning. The pace of the movie was very slow. Slow pace can be very good, if it makes the audience think or empathize. In this case, it didn't manage to do either.

I really wanted to walk out of this one. And now I'm curious why the book was so popular?
75 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Women Have No More Honor
whitakeroh7 November 2010
Just like Sex in the City, this film glorifies female borderline personality disorder. This film highlights fundamental flaws and defects in a woman's character and frames them as character assets. The film starts out with a pampered princess who has a loving and decently handsome husband who falls over himself for his wife (Julia) yet she is discontent due to major character flaws which are likely attributable to selfishness, self-centeredness and arrogance so she she decided to go "find" herself with foreign lovers while eating Italian food.

If this movie's main protagonist were a male, oh my God, could you imagine the female response? A male leaves his adoring, attractive wife to go bang foreign chicks while eating food? He would be considered a complete pig and further considered to be worth killing. These romcoms are now depicting women as these spoiled, privileged brats who are entitled to leave everybody else miserable while they "find themselves". And the people they destroy both mentally and emotionally still "understand" that their torturer is just finding herself. These movies continue to portray hurtful and harmful behavior as a "spiritual awakening". Julia Roberts plays the role of a spoiled, arrogant brat who is full of herself. After her jaunt to India maybe she wants to go join the other vapid female crew over in Dubai for a walk in the desert with no water.

In typical romcom fashion we have the arrogant female who leaves a trail of emotional wreckage in her wake (which we're supposed to discount completely as a sacrifice to the greater good of the female) while she searches the world for hippies, food and lovers. We have these sorry sack men who continue to tell her how great and special she is although she is the complete opposite of these things. We have arrogance and selfishness put on display and covered with a false veil of gold. This woman should be in court losing 1/2 of all her earnings to her husband whom she left to go whore about for no good reason. This woman should be the scourge of the Earth and should receive social contempt for her behavior. However, like most romcoms the female can hurt everyone she knows if it will aid her superficial quest for some kind of make believe fulfillment and then, like Stockholm Syndrome, all her victims will forgive her or tell her she is the most important thing in the world and her happiness comes before anybody or anything else. I can't believe men are still depicted as the heartless characters in films when every romcom depicts evil as good.

This movie made me cringe. I was forced to see it with mom, sister and wife. I told them all that the film literally made me sick. They agreed. This sort of behavior that is being engendered into women is sickening. Women who believe such a film represents anything positive about anything need to have their head checked for borderline personality disorder. Men need to stop treating women like little precious pieces of glass when those same women are not pieces of glass, are not these cute little powerless creatures but are instead, like Liz in the movie, arrogant, snotty, pampered, privileged, rude, morally bankrupt, conniving, selfish dolts who believe that their superficial happiness is worth any emotional cost to other people.
42 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More like "Sit, Stare, Yawn"
Harleyflhrc17 August 2010
The only way to make a movie with an unlikeable, selfish, self-absorbed protagonist worse is to make it WAY too long. That is what we have here, folks. This movie is a monument to both feminist narcissism and boredom. Robert's character whines and complains about a life that most people would love to trade places with. The direction was surprisingly sub-par, as was the acting. Overweight lonely secretaries that have read the book MAY make it through to the end, but everyone else will either be in deep REM or left the theater. Nice scenery for a bicycle ride does not a great movie make. Not kidding, the storyline here is so bad that it makes "Showgirls" look like "L.A. Confidential." This is not even worth a Redbox buck.
170 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Vapid
jpatters-315 August 2010
Wow. I've always admired Julia Roberts, and was wondering how she would transition to a more mature actress. Not well. Why in the world would she have read this abomination of a script, and said, "Yes, I want to do that movie!"? And the other fine actors must have agreed because Roberts signed on. All the talent in this film can't correct the atrocious script. The film has four chapters, each of which introduces a new male character in a different part of the world, and charts her dysfunctional response to each. It's impossible, I suspect, to have developed each character and story all in a two hour movie. It was so hollow, not only did I feel nothing for the characters (except Bardem), but I felt ambivalence toward them. Lots of narcissistic angst over nothing. The movie had nothing to say.

I want my money back. More important, I want my two hours back.
161 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mystic Julia
M. J Arocena14 August 2010
Most people I know are going to see this film for Julia Roberts. It is that mysterious link that film stars create with their audiences. We develop a sort of craving to see them again. So a new Julia Roberts movie? Sure. Absolutely. I'm only a few years younger than Julia Roberts which means we have grown together. So, to see her play a woman facing a sort of middle age crisis makes you look inwards with a smile, the nervous kind. I must also say I'm a guy, heterosexual, but not fanatically so. I don't have the fears that, Jay Leno for instance, shows, when confronted by a "chick flick" If anything "Eat Pray Love" proves that men and women are not that far apart, we simply deal with the same problems in different ways. Here, the filmmakers don't shy away from the conflict and the balance is real. Julia's husband, played beautifully by Billy Crudup, accuses her of leaving the marriage without an explanation. He is the one with the broken heart. In Italy, Julia eats and our own gastric juices start to do their thing. I glanced at my watch, I was ready to run into the nearest Italian restaurant and have a relationship with a pizza myself. Italy, Rome and even Naples look so clean that I hardly recognized it. CGI? Luca Argentero plays Julia's tutor/tourist guide. He is a good looking guy that after appearing in the Italian version of the Big Brother reality show, he became a sort of local movie star and shows promising acting chops. Here, strangely enough, he looks small but charming all the same. India brings the wonderful Richard Jenkins and a solid piece of advise: "don't give up on love" Bali, well, Bali is something else and it is there that Javier Bardem comes into the picture and provides us with the best scene in the film. I'm not going to tell you what it is but let me just say that involves his son and gives us, finally, a side of Julia we didn't know how much we missed. Empathy. Feeling something for somebody else's feelings. I think I may see the film a second time just to see that scene again. I also should mention that James Franco plays a young actor - not what I call a stretch - considering he is my favorite of the young actors around. I will challenge other members of my sex to go and see it. Not to be afraid to feel identified or even chocked up. I can assure you it's not going to diminish you manliness in any way and will awake your appetites, big time.
165 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pray for mercy
If you've kept up with my reviews (lets pretend you have), you are going to find that the genre I touch most seldom is the romantic comedy. They are by nature a contagious quagmire of failed puns, roads repaved with familiar plots, and their stars have signed with the devil. Enter Julia Roberts, queen of the romcom. No doubt a talented actress, if not the most famous of her generation, Julia has played a big role in cashing in on the average woman's dream.

In her latest effort Julia plays Liz Gilbert in the autobiographical book turned movie Eat Pray Love. Liz is a writer visiting Bali in search of a wise/toothless medicine man. He reads the palm of her hand and she takes everything to gospel. Leaving behind husband Stephen (Billy Crudup), Liz seeks out new adventure in the form of exotic cuisine, Eastern religion, and male suitors.

Eat Pray Love is directed by Ryan Murphy. Murphy is best known as the creator of Glee, last year's breakout TV show about misfits who triumph through song. With his name in the mix people are going to be disappointed that Julia and friends don't break out into song and dance. Even if you consider that Murphy could have interests outside of musicals, you'd expect some sassy dialog exchanges like those seen on the show between the characters Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester. Hate to disappoint you but that's not going to happen either.

Julia Roberts is a darling despite the degrading material and I'm sure the draw of her chowing down will appeal to the target demographic until they realize that phase is left behind once Liz leaves Italy. If this were the story of a woman looking for the best things in life, I wouldn't take as much issue as I do. See, that's how one half of the population would view the plot. I see it more along the lines of a typical entry in the long catalog of films where the female lead has no idea what she's looking for in her life so she does whatever is irrational and fun because that's how movie magic works. Liz throws out a man who has given the viewer no reason for dismissal, but this is standard procedure in a chick flick because here woman can do anything and their lives will always improve. I've encountered far too many girls who take these plots to heart and implement them in the real world, leaving a trail of confused men in their wake. I'm a guy, and I'm not dumb enough to think that all the explosions I see in the films designed for my gender need to be realized at home.

What Eat Pray Love has going for it is a borderline competency that lifts it slightly above film festival rejects. Actually the presence of A-list talent and obvious travel expenses add more to the production value than any cinematic technique on display. Many scenes are littered with mishandled lights, resulting in a glaucoma simulation that gave me a headache. It's even a tossup as to whether or not to anoint the audio as clear since half of Javier Bardem's dialog would be read as inaudible should one rent the Blu-ray down the road and turn on subtitles. Speaking of Bardem, his character's late appearance goes against every screen writing rule. In fact, it felt like I was two hours into Eat Pray Love before I started to question whether or not I had seen him in the TV spots.

There is so little of consequence taking place that I don't understand why this is a movie. Plenty of books have plots that don't equate into a two-hour film and many of those actually have tension. Liz's only conflict is from her own sociopath concepts. She's established early on as a poor playwright, highly gullible, and dare I say spoiled. These are not desirable traits. It's amazing how easily everyone accepts Liz. Italy, India, and Indonesia extend nothing but open arms and everyone who she turns to for advise is essentially the same character with the one exception being Richard from Texas (Richard Jenkins)—the sole character that doesn't seem to exist for Liz's personal amusement. I haven't seen such a patronizing, boring, alleged comedy in years. Eat Pray Love is a marathon that will surely test any burgeoning relationship and possibly cause a divorce. Girls, if your male friend can stomach this you've either found an idiot or a liar. Pray for mercy.
259 out of 421 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Guess Money Can Buy Happiness
Brent Trafton27 December 2011
"Eat, Pray, Love" is about a wealthy, over-privileged woman who has a mid-life crises and instead of buying a sports car, she divorces her husband, has some affairs, and spends a boat-load of money.

I guess the moral of the story is that money can buy happiness.

This is the type of movie that makes people want to join the "occupy" movement. The whole point of the movie is that over-indulging is the way to find yourself and be happy.

And just to pour salt in the wound, in the scene where she is eating pasta in Italy is done to the music of Mozart's German opera "The Magic Flute." I guess nobody associated with this piece of trash was smart enough to tell the difference between Italian and German.

Do yourself a favor and skip this garbage.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ugh...
btal4710 August 2010
I'll start out by saying that the description of this movie didn't appeal to me, and I only saw it because I got a free ticket to a preview.

I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 because a few of the supporting characters sometimes call out Liz (Julia Roberts) on her self-absorbed superficial antics. I liked them (the characters, not the antics).

Basically, Liz has a very nice life that is already pretty exciting. She's a writer in NYC who sometimes travels for her job. Her perfectly nice husband appears to love her a lot, thinks about issues like public education, and is interested in going back to school for an MA.

It just isn't enough for Liz, though.

She ditches her husband, has an affair, and speeds off to Italy as soon as the divorce is finalized. She eats. She goes to India, where she finds her ex-boyfriend's guru and prays. She goes to Bali, where she eventually falls in love.

Everywhere she goes, to the very end, Liz needs constant validation and guidance from others. She doesn't grow as a person; she just sees a bunch of stuff and meets a bunch of people.

The movie is too long, but Italy, India, and Bali are showcased nicely (if superficially). I bet Julia Roberts signed on because filming this must have basically been a paid vacation.

The script is pretty bad. Liz complains that one character always seems to talk in bumper stickers, but she should look at her own speech patterns.

I could see how this movie would appeal to some people as an escapist fantasy -- every once in a while, most people think about pushing the eject button on their life and doing something completely different. Still, the impulsive-decision, life-changing journey of self-discovery is a common movie type, and others have done it far, far better.
144 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch, sleep, forget
jc-osms7 May 2012
...or everybody loves Julia. Free-thinking, never-been-to-me writer Liz, (Julia Roberts) decides to escape the rat race and her well-meaning but smothering husband to, of course, find her true self by travelling to Italy, India and Bali, as you would and experiencing real life in the process. We all should have her problems.

And yes, by the end, she's made umpteen life-long friendships, found her own guru and the power of zen, built a new home for a single-parent and child from contributions solicited from the afore-mentioned new pals and of course to top it all off, finds true love way out east to a handsome, swarthy Brazilian, who openly discusses his sex-life with his 19 year-old Australian (don't ask me why) son whom he kisses on the lips at goodbyes. Along the way she breaks the hearts of two young handsome guys, turns down another and connects seriously with everyone from a Swedish tourist and her tutor in Italy, a recovering Texan alcoholic and teenage girl going through an arranged marriage in India not forgetting her Latin lover, toothless ancient swami and his homeless nurse in Bali. Yes indeed, love surely grows where Lizzie goes.

The writing and acting are frequently look-away bad, the whole thing looking like a woman's magazine piece bloated out of all recognition. For some reason too, 70's music features heavily in the soundtrack - I just wondered what Neil Young might have made of two of his songs being pressed into action in support of this unbelievable, over-sentimental nonsense.

I can think of only one praiseworthy thing to say about this film...er, nice locations.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Word: Cancellare...
Momary984 September 2010
Yes, "cancellare" this movie from your list of things-to-do! I would say it was a waste of time but I've spent so much time thinking about why I thought it was a bad movie I've actually had some self-discovery moments.

But enough about me, the supposed heroine in this movie is rather selfish, the movie applauds her selfishness, and in the end I don't think she has actually moved from where she started. I read another review that questioned why this is even a movie. My thoughts exactly. At one point in the movie Julia Robert's character, Liz, asks another character if he always speaks in bumper sticker. I was thinking that about the entire movie, almost right from the start. The only thing that got me through it was that I am an optimist and kept thinking it would get better. Some of the views were beautiful but there were moments when the camera was spinning around so much I was almost nauseous. So to sum it up, in Italy I wasn't watching Liz learn to enjoy nourishment, I was wondering who was going to do all the dishes. And in India I wasn't watching Liz learn to pray; I was wondering why she was praying to a picture frame of her ex-lover's guru. When she finally gets to Bali I thought maybe the movie would gain substance. Instead Liz jumps on a boat with a guy who was a little heavy handed in the control department because her guru gave her permission. In my opinion there was no "attraversi" for poor Liz. The only crossover she made was across the Atlantic.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Starving for entertainment and praying for the end
aharmas15 August 2010
Julia Roberts is one of my favourite performers and Viola Davis can do sublime work, so what happened in this adaptation of the fantastic memoirs in the original source? For starters, we have a complete lack of coherence and inspiration, and for a non fiction account which is based on the up and downs of someone's accounts in one very crucial year of her life, we are presented with a shiny package with nothing in its core, a flatline, a boring piece that doesn't even have enough of the usual glow in the leading lady's smile. She wanders around some of the gorgeous and spiritual locales on this planet, and we are left wandering why is it that no strings have been pulled, that I haven't even felt a hint of manipulaton for us to surrender to the idea that we are supposed to be traveling this road to self-fulfillment and redemption with her. There are some glorious moments in the book about the experience of having that food in Italy, and yet, we don't even know what makes the pizza in that scene worth the trip there... Not that people have to read the book to understand what's going on; the adaptation should give us enough to know what is going on, and the director should provide us with the product that will makes us feel something.

The audience I sat with was just sitting there, waiting, wondering, expecting something to pop and take us away from that state of lifelessness. The film dragged interminably, and not much was happening. The experience was worse than seeing someone's vacation pictures. At least, there we have some meaning behind the shots, someone gives us a personal graphic representation of the trip, of those special moments. Amazingly, this film doesn't give us anything but some beautiful takes, some very boring scenes, a couple of tears for no reason at all, and lots of time to pray that this mess ends quickly.

Recently, I sat in another film, and by its exciting climax, after 90 minutes of subtitles and some tight writing, I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest with all the emotion that was building there for a while. It wasn't a loud movie, a simplistic tale, or a gimmick. It was s simple story of someone's dreams coming true, only in the way movies can show it. Now, if that fictional piece delivered, why someone's real life experience, a proved fact by the way the book had been embraced, had failed some miserably.

Can we eat something while we pray that there is a remake we can love?
46 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Only see this movie if you have read the book AND/OR love Julia
Parisa Michelle12 August 2010
When I first heard that Elizabeth Gilbert's book, Eat Pray Love, was being adapted for film, the first thought that ran in my mind was, "How could that book be made into a movie?" The book seemed too big for a single movie. I thought, perhaps a mini-series could encapsulate all that is required to fully tell the whole tale, but not a single movie. Also, for me, the most interesting parts of the book are Elizabeth's honestly-raw yet oft-humorous introspections and thoughts and I just couldn't imagine how thoughts could translate well on film without producing one hell of a dull movie.

When I found out Julia Roberts was cast as the main character of Elizabeth, my interest was piqued, so, I looked forward to seeing the movie despite my initial hesitation.

Eat Pray Love opens this Friday but I had the chance to view the film early at a screening tonight. As I had feared, Ryan Murphy's film adaption of the book is flawed, at best. The short synopsis of my review before I give away spoilers is: You should not see this movie if you do not L-O-V-E Julia Roberts or if you have not read the book. As to the former, Julia is the only saving grace in this extremely prolonged movie--her natural charisma and charm are the only reasons I don't say run and run fast away from this movie. But even she cannot make this movie good given its many flaws. As to the latter, if you have not read the book, you just won't get what happens in the US, Italy and India. You all will probably enjoy the scenes in Bali, but then again, that doesn't justify seeing the movie in its entirety.

(Spoilers ahead.) The parts of the book which made the reader relate to Elizabeth on any level are entirely absent on film. Gone is any explanation of the breakdown of the marriage between Elizabeth and her husband, Stephen (played by Billy Crudup) or the prolonged struggle Elizabeth experienced before abandoning her marriage. There is no mention of the fact that Stephen wanted to start a family and Elizabeth's repulsion of the idea. There is no talk of both partners having witnessed the breakdown of Elizabeth into a "madwoman" or that they had been "fighting and crying" or that they had "the eyes of refugees." They are simply shown as a normal couple, living the high life in NYC until Elizabeth decided to leave Stephen.

Also painfully absent is any intensity, addiction, passion or heartache experienced with her boyfriend, David (played by James Franco). If you see the movie without having read the book, you will not understand why Elizabeth leaves this relationship either. She just looks like a shallow, pleasure-seeking, escapist.

Other major themes of the book are entirely stricken. You are never told that Elizabeth got an advance for her book and that is how she paid for the year-long trip or that she practiced celibacy on purpose on her trip to self-discovery. Like the major events in the States, the ones in Italy and India are equally rushed and glossed over. What's worse is that the movie lacked spirituality which is the underlying theme of the book.

At this point, I am running out of steam of how else to convince you that this movie is not very good - I think this movie sucked my energy. So, I will leave you with: See it if you love Julia or have read the book. Otherwise, go see something else. --Parisa Michelle, author, CelebMagnet.com
64 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Avoid.At all costs!
cipri_alex8 November 2010
it's that simple, this movie is just an insult for women(more or less intelligent),which i presume is the target audience. for the guys is,well, how should i put it gently, a neverending nightmare of whining,crying, feminist craptalk/attitude, some Italian recipies and goofy love postlude. oh, did i mention selfishness as the main trait of the heroine? in the so called journey she takes to "rediscover" herself, she does nothing more than showing her immense selfish nature fueled by inexplicable feminist outbursts, considering the men around her not only did never abuse her but were(strangely enough)fascinated by her. avoid, time and money are better spent even if watching a "b" minus zombie movie.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was awful!!!!
dayana ruffalo13 August 2010
Okay, I really wanted to like this movie, but my first clue that it was going to be bad was Jullia's "comb-over" head of hair in the beginning. My friends and I couldn't get past her very obviously over-botoxed upper lip (and I'm a Julia fan since "Mystic Pizza" days), or her near identical resemblance to Kyra Sedgewick (Kyra post plastic surgery, not before). It may not have been so obvious if she still weren't trying to pull off her old trademarks of either licking her lips constantly or opening and closing her mouth, or had we not had to have been exposed to close-ups of her slurping spaghetti and tagliatelli in Italy. Julia aside, the visuals were beautiful, plot sucked (stretched a bit of the book). Doesn't everyone go to Italy and meet a group of gorgeous people in no time (then cook them all a nice Thanksgiving dinner), or head to India and become the hostess for all of the new arrivals. By the time Julia got to Bali and was dancing drunk with some bongo drummer (and guffawing her loud he-haw laugh), my three girlfriends were begging to leave the theater, which we did.
56 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this