Semi-Pro (2008) Poster

(2008)

Actually pretty good fun
bowmanblue20 November 2014
I always find that Will Ferrell's films can be a little hit and miss. He's either funny, or he tries a little too hard to be funny. Luckily, in the case of 'Semi-Pro,' he's the former. The film is clearly his vehicle, so whether it works or not is largely down to him. Here he plays Jackie Moon – the owner, coach and player of a low league basketball team who are about to get disbanded, unless they can scrape fourth place in the league.

For a start, you don't have to know or like basketball. I know nothing about it, but I enjoyed the film anyway. Yes, Ferrell is a little over the top here and there, but his performance never really borders on 'annoying.' It's not a long film, only an hour and a half, and most of it is packed with gags (all pretty adult in nature) and the majority of those work.

There are minor plot lines, but they're all secondary to Ferrell. Most other characters are only there to tee up Ferrell for him to deliver the punch line. Woody Harrelson is about the second most important character and he has a little more screen time. He's totally functional too, but Semi-Pro is still Ferrell's baby.

Just beware of escaped bears!
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A damn good comedy.
lucas_mrz7 August 2019
When you watch a comedy -at least when I do- you want to laugh. If the movie doesn't make you laugh then is a bad comedy. If it does, then is a good one, even if it doesn't have any sense. This is the case, a good comedy, really funny, and yes, totally stupid but in a good way.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Like Will Ferrel? Go on ahead and see it then...
retrorocker1980s14 March 2008
This movie hinges on one simple fact: do you or do you not just enjoy Will Ferrel?

If the answer to that is yes, then you will enjoy this a lot. Because there's not much new doing here: it's Ferell as another idiotic, self-loving, loud and beef-headed, dim-witted professional...insert obscure profession or athlete. This is just "Anchorman", "Ricky Bobby", "Blades of Glory", or what have you, except in basketball. If you enjoy those movies, and Will Ferrel's shameless antics (I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying I want to see him try something else now and then) then here's one for you.

But I also give kudos to the supporting players (like Woody Harrelson, who in a stroke of brilliance, is acting like he's in a real drama and not a spoof), the inspired 70's soundtracks and references. 6/10
57 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs more Doctor J
jkauf38 February 2008
One of the joys of being a university student is getting invited to free sneak previews. I went to one last night, where the front half of the theater was packed with students while the back was filled with members of the writing team, taking careful notes on which jokes we did and did not laugh at. For the most part, the reaction was positive, and the jokes that failed miserably will probably get edited out by the time the movie officially opens.

The movie was pretty sports-comedy formulaic, with the down-and-out lovable losers getting a big chance, then introducing a new character who will inspire them, and a few montages later, the big finale. The R-rating was used mainly on adding in lots of cuss-words, with mixed humorous results. There was a really funny joke about masturbation. I was hoping for a little more basketball craziness, but oh well.

The highlight, of course, was Will Ferrel meeting the 70s. I myself was not alive in the 70s, so I only know about the culture through the disco-funk lens of caricature cinema. Ferrel is one funky mofo so he thrives. I would say this was one of his better efforts, topping Taladega nights, Elf, and the ice skating one. It's not as good as Anchorman, mainly because it's just not as quotable.

In short, if you like Will Ferrel, or 70s funk (the soundtrack is hella dope), see this movie.
131 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Darn Funny
BettyChampagne13 June 2008
I really can't stand the site of Will Farrell, and I usually find him anything but funny. I hated Ron Burgundy and thought Elf was trite, but i have to say I pretty much laughed my way throughout this entire movie.

It was made as a comedy, which it excels at being, but it is also a really good period piece on the 70's (love the fro's). The story was also really good, a bit predictable but well done - I found myself caring about the characters and the out come of the story.

I was entertained throughout this entire movie, and i would add this movie amongst other American comedy classics such as Family Vacation, Uncle Buck or even Planes, Trains and Automobiles... all very different movies, but ones that made us laugh and kept us smiling.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good Will Ferrell Vehicle
hamiltoba1 March 2008
Semi-pro will not go down in the anals of great comedies.

If you are looking for a plot synopsis, well this movie is not for you. It's pretty short on story and pretty high on funny bits.

The one thing I will say is that the film is not overpowered by Will Ferrell silliness. Oh don't mistake me there is some silliness but it is only part of a greater picture.

It has 4-5 hilarious scenes and many lines that will be quotable for a long time. I left the theatre laughing and repeating line with my friends. And really what more are you asking for in a Will Ferrell Comedy???
90 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Semi-Pro is only semi-funny, but Will Ferrell is still at the top of his game.
stewiefan20120 March 2008
Semi-Pro takes place in the 1970s and is all about a small time basketball team named the Flint Michigan Tropics. The head coach, owner, and promoter is Jackie Moon (Will Ferrell) and he and his team dream of expanding to be part of the big time NBA. However Jackie is told that in order to actually have a chance at getting into the NBA, the Tropics have to get at least 2000 fans in their stadium by deadlines. The problem is that the Tropics do a little more dancing, fighting, and flailing around the court than actually playing the game. So Jackie hires a new team player named Monix (Woody Harrelson) who actually used to play for the NBA. From there on in it's up to Jackie, Monix, and the whole team to fire up some wild and crazy events for the crowd and actually learn to play the sport properly for once in order to reach their dreams.

Will Ferrell has made a bunch of funny movies already. Whether it be Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Blades of Glory, and Old School. I haven't seen all of them but I heard they were all funny, mostly because of Will Ferrell's comedic brilliance. Semi-Pro is a funny film but it's really only semi-funny, whereas the rest of Ferrell's movies were hilarious romps. Semi-Pro seems undercooked in the hilarious gag department offering a few very funny moments, but the rest of the movie only has little jokes that usually only offer giggles. My favorite moment in Semi-Pro is when Jackie Moon gets called on a foul by the ref (Also the church priest), and Jackie yells in his face an obscenity and "I'll kill your family!" Another scene that will end up a Will Ferrell classic is when he wrestles a bear, and it ends up attacking him and then getting loose in the stadium.

The music in Semi-Pro is awesome with its funky 70s soundtrack. There's also a song played through the movie sung by Jackie Moon called "Love Me Sexy", and it is as funny a song as Will Ferrell can bring. The rest of the cast includes Outkast's talented Andre Benjamin, Maura Tierney, and Will Arnett and Andrew Daly as two hilarious TV show hosts and broadcasters for the Tropics. Woody Harrelson does a fine job in Semi-Pro but he's never funny, all because the script makes his character Monix serious instead of funny. Maura Tierney really just sits around without much to really do, and even Andre Benjamin's character is made too serious to give us any laughs. I just don't understand why so many of the characters in Semi-Pro were so serious. This is a Will Ferrell comedy, everyone should have some funny moments. This problem is what makes Semi-Pro a mixed bag because only half the movie is really very funny, the rest of the movie is pulled down by far too much seriousness.

Will Ferrell and the musical soundtrack are what elevate Semi-Pro to the point where I can recommend it. Will Ferrell is still a very funny guy and I'm sure he has a lot more hilarious comedies on the way in the mere future. But Semi-Pro pretty much gives Ferrell all the funny moments, when his other movies like Anchorman gave the other characters classic moments as well. I give Semi-Pro a 2.5 out of 4, and a recommendation. It has its moments but is dragged down by far too many unfunny characters.
27 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly movie...but what did you expect?
velcrohead21 March 2008
I never for a moment believed that this movie would be earth-shattering or mind-blowing. I expected it to be along the lines of "Talladega Nights" or "Kicking & Screaming," and it was. There were a few laugh out loud moments, and a few mildly amusing stretches, and then there were parts that just weren't funny at all.

But the overall experience wasn't that bad, considering I was just looking for a movie that would make me laugh and pass the night away on those rare date nights with my wife.

The only real complaint I had about it was the language. I thought some of the profanity was a bit excessive, especially considering past Will Ferrell movies. And that's really all the R rating is there for.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually pretty good fun
bowmanblue7 September 2019
I always find that Will Ferrell's films can be a little hit and miss. He's either funny, or he tries a little too hard to be funny. Luckily, in the case of 'Semi-Pro,' he's the former. The film is clearly his vehicle, so whether it works or not is largely down to him. Here he plays Jackie Moon - the owner, coach and even player of a low league seventies basketball team who are about to get disbanded, unless they can scrape fourth place in the league.

For a start, you don't have to know or like basketball. I know nothing about it, but I enjoyed the film anyway. Yes, Ferrell is a little over the top here and there, but his performance never really borders on 'annoying.' This is largely because, as insufferable as he could be perceived, he's actually got his team's best interests at heart and, despite his minor fame and fortunes, he's quite a flawed and insecure character. Also, 'Semi-Pro' isn't a long film (only an hour and a half) and most of it is packed with gags (all pretty adult in nature) and the majority of those work.

There are minor plotlines, but they're all secondary to Ferrell. Most other characters are only there to tee up Ferrell for him to deliver the punch line. Woody Harrelson is about the second most important character and he has a little more screen time and, whereas Ferrell provides the laughs, Harrelson's character actually has something in the way of 'character development.' But, despite him being the 'heart' of the story, Harrelson is more of a 'functional' part of the tale and 'Semi-Pro' remains Ferrell's baby. David Koechner and Jackie Earle Haley are also on the cast list, but both of them - although always enjoyable in anything they do - are merely there as kind of 'extended cameos.'

Basically, Semi-Pro won't win any awards. It's daft, loud and dumb, but ultimately very watchable if you're in the mood for a film like that. Even though it's probably never going to be considered as good/funny as 'Anchorman' it could be thought that 'Semi-Pro' could be set in the 'same universe' (if we're talking in Marvel Shared Universe terms!).

Sit back, enjoy and just beware of escaped bears!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proof of Ferrel's weakness
chi-cerca-trova7 April 2008
This movie is a perfect example of why Will Ferrel needs to find his purpose quick before he becomes irrelevant.

After sitting through this movie, I began to ponder why I did not like it. It had all the Ferrel-isms of movies past. Ron Burgandy, Chad Michael Michaels, Ricky Bobby, etc. all made an appearance. So, why had a classic formula failed so miserably here? And then it hit me. It's because Will Ferrel CANNOT carry a movie on his own. He is a great catalyst for the actions with in a movie, however he cannot be a movie. True, Ron Burgandy was a hilarious character, but what about his news crew? How many lines are quoted from this quartet of idiots? Or Chad Michael Michaels? Will Ferrel needs to remember his strength lies in a strong comedic ensemble. While he has demonstrated some actual acting talent, he still will never be able to carry a film on his own.
57 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Semi-funny
tastyhotdogs12 May 2008
Figured the holiday was a great time to catch this movie, which I wasn't overly excited about, but thought it would be something to do on a lazy afternoon.

Got to the cinema a tad early and sat down and played some golf on my phone. About 10 mins in and I was the only one there. Awesome. Sadly about 5mins later two losers with no friends walked in, making it a cosy cinema of 3.

The film starts with a pre-game intro of the Flint Tropics, a struggling team in the former ABA basketball league. We learn from the get go that Jackie Moon (Ferrell, in a role not much of a stretch for him) is the team owner, promoter, coach as well as a player. Jackie brought the team on the back of his one-hit wonder "Love Me Sexy" and is in it just for the fame and fun. Before too long Jackie finds out his team will absorbed by the ABA-NBA merger...unless he can get them in the Top 4 teams. Jackie goes out and signs (from a trade for a washing machine) Monix, played by formerly good actor Woody Harrelson in a minor attempt to tun things around. Soon he makes some other changes, such as agreeing to let Monix become coach to get his team into the NBA. Will it work......? See it to find out.

There's some more good quirky Ferrell humour, but this isn't a classic. The story had a lot more potential but in some circumstances went too oddball and weird and missed some good opportunities, probably largely due to the extra screen time given to Ferrell. Give him a few better support comedians and this could have been a classic. They missed some great opportunities with the basketball action too. One of the early scenes was gold.....but then after that very little was paid attention to.
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish it was semi-funny
cwitkowski29 February 2008
Take the cutting room jokes in Anchor Man, A not funny Woody Harrelson and the inability to take jokes far enough to make them funny and you have semi-pro.

A few cheap laughs here and there and a bare chested Will Ferrill weren't enough to keep me awake during this poorly written failure of a comedy. Co-non stars weren't funny and the direction reminded me of one of my 1st college films.

When the openings credits started to the 70's sexual funk sung by Ferrill I thought I was in for a good time. 10 minutes later I was looking at my watch hoping for a phone call to have an excuse to relieve myself of this dull, thrown together, forgettable flick. With so much material to reference to - Short shorts, Afros, mustaches, and over the top announcers you would think there would be more comedy than a few masturbation jokes.

Save this one for a rental when you have time to consume plenty of alcohol before viewing.
37 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People forget that Will Ferrell's movies are randomness.
m-rugen29 February 2008
So far I am the fourth person to rate this movie; and I honestly don't agree with anybody else here. I really only rate movies I truly enjoyed, and this is one of them. I don't think anybody that has seen Will's movies and disliked them should be commenting on here.

This movie, along with Anchorman and Talladega Nights, is just a whole bunch of funny, cruel, and vulgar jokes thrown into a 90-minute story line...and it's awesome.

Also, the fact that it's loosely based upon a real merger between the ABA and NBA fits the movie. Sports movies with fake teams and cities is getting overly boring.

As many people will tell you, the unrated versions of Anchorman and Talladega Nights blow the original PG-13 rating out of the water. And for this, is why the writers had to make this movie rated R to begin with.

The movie was designed for Will Ferrell. Granted, it's another sports movie with him, but he pulls it off again. Wrestling a bear, performing dance, and singing a song called 'Love Me Sexy' has absolutely nothing to do with basketball, but it works. Like I said, all his movies are a bunch of random jokes thrown together to fit a storyline.

This movie, to me, is better than Talladega Nights. If you like Will Ferrell, you will LOVE this movie. If you don't like Will Ferrell, you need to get yourself checked out.
37 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will Ferrell is on top form / shame about the movie though
lee-kemp31 March 2008
the first 30mins of this movie is as good as anchorman i mean i was laughing out loud in the cinema. after that it goes down hill though i don't think will ferrell is to blame. while anchorman and dodgeball had a great supporting cast of characters semi pro only has will ferrell and the two commentators that raise a laugh.

many jokes didn't work for me because of the subject matter (i don't know much about basketball) and the sex scene falls flat on it's face and is embarrassing to watch. the jive turkey scene i didn't get and when will ferrell is off the screen the film starts to take it self too seriously and you're just wanting will to come back on the screen and do something funny.

will ferrell is on top form in this movie but a lot more could have been made of his character. the premise of a washed up singer spending ridiculous amounts of money is a good idea, but is stuck in a sports movie were the loser team comes good in the end. we've seen so many times before and sadley done better.

i love will ferrell but i can see why he has so many haters. while i think he'll never better anchorman semi pro and blades of glory for me show a decline and his next film needs to be a step in the right direction.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very little of the magic of TALLADEGA NIGHTS is evident here.
MartinHafer15 June 2008
In SEMI-PRO, Will Farrell is the owner-manager-player for the fictional ABA franchise Flint Tropics. For those of you too young to remember the ABA (American Basketball Association), it was a rival league to the NBA that really suffered due to lack of fan support as well as having teams in amazingly small markets in many cases. Unfortunately, even for an ABA team, attendance is lousy and the players are mostly untalented losers. However, when it's announced that the league is folding and four of its premier teams are moving to the NBA, Farrell is excited when it's agreed that the four teams that have the best record will become NBA franchises. This motivates him and his hapless players into finally playing like a team and it's rather predictable that they manage to pull it all together leading up to the final "big game".

In many ways, the script is quite formulaic and you know what's going to happen, but there are a few cute moments that keep it interesting. SEMI-PRO is in some ways like TALLADEGA NIGHTS and SLAPSHOT rolled into one with one major exception--it doesn't come close to either of these movies in quality or especially laughs. This really surprised me, as I was expecting a sense of humor like TALLADEGA NIGHTS, but sadly there were only a few small moments like this--scenes Will Ferrell was doing promotions for his basketball team. The best of these insane promotions was probably the bear wrestling scene. I think the biggest problem was that in TALLADEGA NIGHTS, the races weren't really that important--the humor was. In SEMI-PRO, the film seemed to bog down when they actually were playing basketball--especially since, within the rules, you can't do anything THAT crazy. I really think the film would have been better served with either less basketball or by simply throwing reality out the window during these ballgame scenes. Plus, while it sure looked like SLAPSHOT at times because of some of the fighting and a team's efforts to avoid folding, it never really went far enough regarding social commentary or the likable humor of SLAPSHOT.

In addition to not quite succeeding like these other two films, SEMI-PRO was extremely vulgar--and often not in a funny way. Too many testicle jokes, crude language and vomiting references--and these were supposed to be the funny moments in the film. Sadly, the crude humor didn't work and really make this a film that is NOT child-friendly.

If you are a Will Farrell fan, there's enough to this film that you'll like, so give it a shot. If you are not a Farrell fan, then this film will do nothing to convince you otherwise. My advice is see TALLADEGA NIGHTS and STRANGER THAN FICTION--two exceptional films that show Farrell has some depth and can make a real crowd-pleasing film. SEMI-PRO is a bit of a dud.

FYI--Check out the trivia section on IMDb about this film. Apparently, only a short time after this film the bear used in the fighting scene actually killed someone!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will Ferrell can hold a 15 minute skit, not an hour and a half movie
Smells_Like_Cheese2 March 2008
I work in a movie theater part time and we got Semi-Pro, now I hate Will Ferrell with a passion, I don't get how people love his movies, some of them are funny, but it's more of his side characters that get the laughs from me. But I figured, I needed a laugh after work and I decided to just go ahead and see the movie, it might have a few good laughs, I saw it for fee and even that was too much for what this film was. I'm very much not kidding, this movie, the theater was about 75% full and there was only two people who laughed, even that was just a chuckle. I don't get what is so funny about making Will Ferrell puke, in fact let's play on that joke quite a bit so it becomes more awkward. Let's also put in jokes that refer to "the future" since it's set in the 70's, that'll be a blast. And also, let's put in some extremely uncomfortable shots of Will Ferrell's crotch, yeah, that was so funny, that I wanted to puke.

Jackie Moon is a one hit wonder in the 70's, but with the money he made off that, he buys the Flint Tropical's, a team that once was great, but now stink. They have an opportunity though to go to the NBA if they can be one of the top four teams to win the games. With the help of a former champion basketball player, Monix, who has lost it basically, they'll try to achieve the best, by getting fourth place. Jackie comes up with some stupid publicity stunts to get an audience as well.

Semi-Pro is seriously, just stupid, I'm not saying that because of Will Ferrell, I just mean this film is very unfunny and the only part that made me laugh was the bear attacking Will Ferrell, sad, huh? I'm really not trying to be a hater on this film, but how do people laugh at this junk? Will Ferrell plays the same character in each of his films, doesn't anyone catch on? The characters in this film are not likable at all because they're not explained well. Semi-Pro was just a bad movie, I promise you, I'm not saying this because of Will, I'm saying in general, just stay away from this film.

25 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been...
jon.h.ochiai2 March 2008
In the opening of Director Kent Alterman's "Semi-Pro" Will Ferrell as 70's One Hit Wonder Jackie Moon provides his musical stylings of his song "Do Me Sexy". Will Ferrell sings his disco song straight up in character and is hysterical. Although given the promising start Alterman and Writer Scot Armstrong's movie really falls flat, despite some big laughs. I particularly cracked up at the halftime bit where Jackie dressed as 'Mr. Sun' and the rest of his Tropics teammates are dressed as sea creatures. Some of the supporting performances are pretty good including Woody Harrelson playing a quasi-realistic Monix and Andre Benjamin as Tropics leading scorer Clarence Black. Will Ferrell is at his best playing obtuse, lovable, and arrogant Jackie. However, the problem with "Semi-Pro" over the long haul (all 90 minutes) is that it is not smart stupid—it is stupid stupid. I was really a fan of "Blades of Glory" and "Talladega Nights". "Semi-Pro" is not nearly as funny as either. Understandably, if you are not a fan of Big Will, then disregard the previous, and pretty much most of this comment. The ending of "Semi-Pro" is incongruously bittersweet. This seems so out of place. Then again, arguing for context in "Semi-Pro" is futile.

The premise of "Semi-Pro" is actually funny. Realize I am referring to the premise, only. 70's disco star Jackie Moon (Ferrell) scores with his number one smash "Do Me Sexy". He parlays his new found wealth by buying ABA Basketball Team—the Flint Tropics. This vanity project also includes Jackie being the Tropics Player-Coach. Having no basketball acumen as player or coach, the Tropics reign the cellar of the division. Then the ABA Commissioner (funny David Koechner) announces that 4 ABA teams would merge with the NBA. Unfortunately, that does not include the Tropics. However, natural promoter Jackie convinces the ABA Commission that the 4 teams with the best records should be allowed to merge. Still the Tropics are not among the top 4 teams, yet. In an edgy move Jackie trades the Team's ice machine for retired NBA player Monix (solid Woody Harrelson). Monix had won an NBA Championship with the Celtics, although he spent his time on the bench during the playoff run. Minor detail. All the narrative elements are poised. However, "Semi-Pro" misfires on all cylinders. Granted there is a hilarious gag that runs a little long with Jackie wrestling a bear. One hysterical bit has Jackie conflicted as his Tropics lead an opponent; however, if they score more than 125 points, it's free corn dog night. And Jackie doesn't have the corn dogs.

It's too bad that "Semi-Pro" is not completely hysterical. Perhaps, the Will Ferrell sports' farces have run their course. Maybe next time Will fares better with X-Games or Extreme Fighting? Maybe.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious movie! MUST SEE!
keith-7671 March 2008
OK, like most Will Ferrell movies...don't go in expecting an art house classic, but the gags and movie are funny the entire time. There are some serious moments interspersed, but Ferrell balances those serious moments with hilarious comedy that will leave you crying. I went to go see it with a friend, and she and I laughed so hard from the opening credits all the way until the end of the movie...there were some points I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to wet myself :) You have to give the people who put this movie together a lot of props because the use of costumes, dialog, and music are just all so reminiscent of the 1970's that you just can't help but laugh at how strange everyone is dressed, their cars, etc.

The writers of this movie really outdid themselves, and I think that anyone with even the slightest sense of humour will appreciate this movie for what it is - a really good time. You won't be disappointed!
14 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And I thought it was actually going to be funny.
portnoys_disciple11 March 2008
For the most part, I like Will Ferrell's comedy. I really do. I loved Talladega Nights, to be honest. I laughed throughout the whole thing. I had expected this to be a good bounce-back from Blades of Glory. I prayed that Mr. Ferrell just happened to make a flop and was back to making good movies. I was wrong.

I felt the plot itself was solid--I really like it as a non-comedic movie. But it insists on itself--it just begs to be laughed at. The problem with that is that it insists in all the wrong ways. For example, Shaun of the Dead is one of my all-time favorites, mostly because of the fact that it is a rather serious subject with scenes that could be seen as horrific and yet maintains to be laugh-out-loud hilarious every time I watch it. It insists on being a good movie, not on getting you to laugh at cheap jokes. That's where Semi-Pro went wrong. You have to either be ridiculous with a handful of serious elements (ala The Big Lebowski) or serious with a handful of comedic elements (ala Shaun of the Dead). Semi-Pro doesn't fit into either, because it's not good enough in either one of those categories.

I probably only laughed out loud maybe three or four times throughout the whole movie, and more out of a response to pure nonsense than actual comedic value. Like, "....what?!" rather than a response to pure hilarity. I am reminded of the "I'm on fire!" scene from Talladega Nights--hilarity. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous--you just couldn't NOT laugh at it. This movie attempts to achieve the same ludicrous hilarity that Talladega Nights had...and fails miserably.

If you're a huge fan of Will Ferrell's comedy, or just Will Ferrell in general, then you may like this. Again, don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible movie, but don't expect anything epic. Unless, of course, you expect an epic fail, in which case you may be pleased.

So overall: decent movie, good storyline, great cast, horrible jokes and even worse comedic value lands it a 5 out of 10.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for a laugh
charissajoy6 March 2008
This movie definitely has to be seen with an open mind for Will Ferrell's comedy. It was good for a laugh. The movie wasn't as funny as I expected from Will Ferrell, but good enough to recommend. This is more of a middle-of-the-week type of movie instead of a weekend type movie. The romantic plot line seemed obscure and unrelated to the movie but I think it was added for all the females dragged by their significant others. During the movie it was as if the cast was following their script and Will F. was improvising his comedy into the movie. This part was genius and funny. I would recommend seeing this movie for what it is...A light-hearted comedy.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Darn Funny if You Ask Me
Scars_Remain5 July 2008
I hadn't heard much surrounding this movie at all but a friend and I rented it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm actually pretty disappointed to see that it only has a 5.8 rating on IMDb, but I guess everyone has different opinions. It's certainly ridiculous and over the top but i think added to how funny it was. All I know is that I was laughing pretty hard most of the way through.

Will Ferrell is a favorite of mine, i grew up with him on SNL and I've loved most of his movies. He was just as hilarious as usual in this one. The rest of the cast was great as well. The story is pretty weak but it's just random and funny enough to be okay without it. I thought the randomness was amazing.

Check this movie out if you're a fan of comedy. It's not amazing but it is a good laugh. Hell, you even get to see Will Ferrell wrestle a freaking bear!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm getting tired of saying...
day_andy30 March 2008
if you like cheap and nasty...

Although this movie is entertaining and semi funny,(like my little pun I put in there?)it lacks any kind of evidence that anyone put thought into it... another Hollywood movie thats is wrecking Will Ferrell's reputation.

If your looking for a movie to watch when your mentally tired... this is the perfect pick. There is no thinking involved and you can summon enough energy to laugh at the jokes in it.

Andre Benjamin puts in a good performance - never once do you realize he's acting.

I did enjoy this movie - but I was severely disappointed when it came to my expectations of the movie.

Watch this movie when you have nothing better to do and you wont be disappointed.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i'm a Will Ferrell fan, this disappointed me
woody_darlo10 March 2008
i'll be honest there are a few laughs in this film. But do not go to the cinema to see this film, just catch it on TV otherwise you'll come out of the cinema feeling you could have spent your on money on something more useful...like a pen, paper and proceed to write to the production company to let them know that they flaked out with this movie.

Ferrell is funny, its just the rest of the cast that aren't. The jokes throughout aren't particularly great. But i guess it is watchable.

I just hope this formula of sport/comedy film's is either scrapped. If it is used again hopefully someone will do a good job.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie that is funny when it tries and stupid when it tries to be serious
GIdan4542 March 2008
I hated the woody harrelson story line, his plot with the girl was like from another movie except for that funny bit about her husband coming in on them.Will Ferrell does the best he can, feels like a waste of actors, Andy could of been used much more effectively, also the team wasn't used very well they didn't say much. The two announcers stole the show for me, they were hilarious, Daly was by far the most quotable "they are doing just a horrible job at supporting his spine" or "id like a guarantee" it was a decent movie, wish they would of cut a few things with woodys character and that stupid costume dance thing was terrible, as was the puking. Wills best scenes have to be when hes introducing the characters and at the end with his speech (friend son) Wish they had spent more time with written jokes instead of stupid over the top dance numbers and forced drama story lines (leading player doubting woody and his ring). I hope someone cuts all of dalys great lines and posts them on youtube. There is 15 minutes of pure genius in this movie, 30 minutes of laughs and the rest is sorta dumb or wasted. Jive turkey...
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money...
dreadnaught332 March 2008
As a huge Will Ferrell fan, I was incredibly disappointed with this flick. Plain and simple: it sucked. The comedy failed to deliver the quotable lines, punchy comedy, or even slap-stick humor. It is very obvious they forced this rating up to 'R' with the addition of as many F bombs as possible, making the dialog choppy and reminiscent of junior high. I typically don't mind language if it's funny or appropriate, but this was neither. I give it one extra star because of maybe a couple chuckles.

All in all, don't bring your kids, don't even bring yourself. Save your money for the Step-Brothers movie they previewed before this one, which had me laughing harder in 30 seconds than this entire movie did.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.