Hotel Transylvania (2012) Poster

Let the child in you enjoy this adventure
jancr5728 September 2012
Cute movie. Has a couple of great messages -- especially one about prejudices. There are some adult jokes, some childish jokes, lots of laugh out loud moments but most importantly the following messages: Hatred against those we don't know is wrong; Let yourself get to know a person before deciding whether they are good or not; and go along for the ride and let yourself enjoy life.

I also love the fact that this is a Dad raising his child situation. There are really few movies that show a Dad can step up and do the right thing for their children if given the chance.

While I didn't particularly care for the fart joke or some of the childish parts the kids in the theater laughed and laughed.

Well done!
98 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable experience
nightbiker-128 September 2012
I gave this a complete 10 because both the wife and I (as well as the other movie-goers -going by their reactions) thoroughly enjoyed it from the beginning to the very end.

Was it predictable? Of course. Its an animation geared towards children (what would you expect?) -but like most of the animation movies of today, there were quite a few 'hidden humor' spots as well which would be completely missed by the younger audience (not unexpected since it is the adults, after all, who are forking over the bread and it doesn't hurt to keep THEM entertained as well). The movie is fairly fast-paced and the animation well done. I'm usually a little apprehensive when I've harbored good expectations from a movie based on clips/previews, but in this case I felt it truly delivered. This one will be added to our library when it (eventually) hits the shelves. Too many people look for a great amount of depth and unpredictability in animation movies -but THAT is a bit unrealistic (no pun intended) -think about it: These things USED to be called CARTOON MOVIES for a reason. They weren't intended to fit that kind of expectation. They ARE intended to be fun -and this movie is just that: FUN.
121 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best (funniest) animations I've seen in years!
eshghefilm29 September 2012
I went to see Hotel Transylvania last night in a small group of adults aged 24-30 and I LMAO as did the others. The theater was packed with little children who mostly laughed at not really funny parts and adults who laughed when the children were quite silent. The story is about Count Dracule trying to raise his only child safe and sound away from terrifying humans and invites all the monsters to his hotel to relax and celebrate his very young daughter's 118th birthday which is accompanied by a surprise visitor!

This is a really funny movie with a simple predictable story line and tons of characters that you will love. My favorites were the zombies who were the hotel staff and it took them forever to finish a task. I recommend this movie to anyone who like monsters ( so afraid of a little boy licking ice-cream)and want to have a good laugh and take a break from Disney.
106 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Count me among those who thought the movie was surprisingly good
TheLittleSongbird27 October 2012
After reading reviews that either disliked or were indifferent to Hotel Transylvania and being dubious because Adam Sandler(who has been in a lot of really bad movies recently) was in the lead role, I was unsure of whether to see the film. But my love for animation and the appetising trailer over-rode my doubts and I saw it anyway. And you know what, while The Pirates and ParaNorman were better animated movies from this year in my opinion I found Hotel Transylvania much better than expected. More could have been done with the relationship between Jonathan and Mavis, it is a romantic angle that has been used many times before and as well as feeling somewhat under-baked very little new was done with it. While a vast majority of the film is fast-paced with no real dull spots, some parts of the film did feel rushed. On the other point of view, the animation is excellent, the backgrounds are both beautiful and Gothic and that is the same with the colours. The characters are well-modelled. The soundtrack is catchy and upbeat, though some of the songs could have been more than just snippets. The writing is zany and often witty with a surprising amount of heart also.

The story is predictable, but not dull. It has a number of great moments, the genre references are not as inspired as they were in ParaNorman but they are fun to spot, and I loved a lot of the slapstick-in-style gags. Especially the zombie Beethoven, the scream cheese Hors-D'Oeuvres, the shrunken heads do not disturb tags and the digs at Twilight(much more fulfilling than any of the movies combined). But it does have a lot of heart. Is the over-protective father idea clichéd? Of course. But I did find it genuinely touching instead of overly-exaggerated as I have seen described. Dracula's past is also shown in a darkly emotional way. The characters are not the most memorable I have ever seen, but they do have their likability, my favourite here was Dracula. And the voice acting was surprisingly great, to me from a non-fan who has liked him in some movies(Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, Spanglish and Happy Gilmore) and hated him in others(Jack and Jill, Going Overboard, Zookeeper and Mr Deeds) Adam Sandler gives one of his better performances of late in the role of Dracula, he is actually funny as well as emotive in alternative to irritating. Selena Gomez is endearing as daughter Mavis and Adam Samberg brings some heroism to Jonathan. Kevin James, David Spade, Jon Lovitz, Fran Drescher and especially Steve Buscemi give solid support. In conclusion, surprisingly good. 8/10 Bethany Cox
54 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Family Entertainment
drew_atreides8 October 2012
..took my family to see this one today, 6 year old son, 3 year old daughter..

Both of them really enjoyed the experience, though to be honest i think my daughter connected with the movie more because of the plight of Dracula's young daughter being the focal point of the story. That really surprised me!

Any horror fan with kids will get a real kick out of this one. And even non-horror fans should find the story cute. Sandler and company really pull it together for this one, after their last couple of films were less then stellar.

Definitely a pleasant surprise, and good fun for the whole family.
44 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far exceeded my expectations!
cal-acadia19 October 2012
I went into this movie really with no expectations. I had only seen a few fragments of commercials and got nothing at all interesting from them. So, WOW, was I surprised and impressed when I saw it!! The movie was a creative story, quick moving action, funny, heartwarming, visually interesting and sometimes surprising - this film had a lot of great things going on, and I found myself really engaged and far more interested in the characters than I would have guessed. Sure, there were a few "as if" moments, but for the most part I found it to be fun, funny, and a film I heartily recommend! Kudos to the writers, voice actors and animators.... With a youngster in my home, I'm sure we'll be seeing this again soon.
42 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable Family Film
anastasiyaxox8 October 2012
The, I think, is a movie that is fun for the whole family. Youngsters will like the characters, the older children will enjoy the jokes and plot, and the adults will likely enjoy the movie as well, being able to catch on to the more "adult" funny references and a story about a father-daughter relationship that can be appreciated.

The movie is fairly fast paced, but most cartoons are, especially ones that are just 91 minutes long. If you're planning to take your 3 year old to appreciate the plot, connect with the characters, and understand the meaning of family and love... that's not happening... it is a children's movie but it's not Sesame Street.

My husband and I took our 2 1/2 year old because it seemed like a cute movie to watch. It was. Our son sat through the entire movie and danced with the music, etc. We enjoyed it as well.

Was it EXTRAORDINARY? No. Was it a good, fun family film? Yes.

I would recommend it. If you're unsure about paying for a ticket at the theater, you can always wait for the DVD to come out.
38 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sucking the blood out of animated movies?
kosmasp9 May 2013
Not really. But not giving it new life either! Now that we have cleared the puns (you may come up with some of your own, if you like), let's get to the meat of things ... Alright almost cleared. But while I do have fun writing the review, I wish I had more fun watching the actual movie. Now I know this is meant to appeal to children (though there are a few scenes, that are borderline to say the least, if shown to the little ones), but that doesn't mean it has to be stupid. Pixar set a high standard of course, but other studios have followed and there have been quite a few entertaining fun animated movies.

While this isn't DOA (or undead to stay with the theme), it clearly lacks heart. This pun was not planned, but it is in tune with the jokes of the movie. Most seem not planned and just ridiculous. Does that mean you won't have fun watching this? No, you might even have more fun with this than I had with ParaNorman (a far superior movie, though not perfect either). As the rating shows on IMDb, many loved the movie and I hope you do too. I'm just telling you to not raise the stake here ...
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monsters Going Wild
billygoat107112 October 2012
Hotel Transylvania has a simple concept: classic campy monsters staying in a hotel where humans are not allowed because they think we're evil. It doesn't sound too fresh but it looks fun. Behind this concept is a father-daughter-relationship that seems to follow the footsteps of other great recent animated films. The result is, it's not getting there yet but it's still as delightful as it's suppose to be. It's one of those films that it's so crazy, you'll instantly like it. Most of the gags are clever and ridiculous. Overall, it's an endless fun entertainment.

Though, the film sometimes feels like a mediocre animated kids film. Generic family film elements are there but they are used in a different way. There is often slapstick and toilet humor but the gags are best when it's outrageously absurd. Every set pieces are swift, quirky, and exciting. The voices of the characters sound silly at glance but the actors made them pretty likable.

When the craziness slows down, there's a sweet bit of Dracula's relationship between Mavis and Jonathan, and some brooding. The drama is a little effective. It's not as strong as most recent animated films. It's more focused at being fun and hilarious. It's great when it stays to the roots of a cartoon like showing peculiar looking characters acting like lunatics. The best laughs are when the monsters are expressing their misanthropy in a ludicrously paranoid way, and when they're just making fun of each other. Mainstream pop culture song numbers kind of tone things down, but the song number at the end didn't affect the breathtaking and emotional climax.

Hotel Transylvania is good enough for the whole family even though it's raucous. Fans of the animation genre would enjoy this a lot more. Since it's directed by a cartoon expert, it contains a lot of absurd and exciting scenes that is similar to his shows. Although, some might expect something more since many animated films these days are deeper and powerful, leaving the old habits behind. Hotel Transylvania still has the heart but it's just not as compelling as the others. If you're in for the joys then this will give you a good time. My rating may be too high, but this my thing. I always enjoy this kind of animation.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fresh family fun! - Pretty Good
White_Prophet2 July 2018
I did not know this movie was directed by Tartakovsky, which is probably why I liked it as much as I did. He is one of my favorite animation directors and he does a great job in directing this movie as well. The humor is a bit hit or miss, mostly kid-oriented but there were some creative jokes and I laughed out loud a couple times. The cast does a good job for the most part and the movie has some heart to it. Overall, a pretty pleasant surprise that could have benefited from some better writing.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some jokes are forced, but an overall enjoyable film!
joe-is-sexy3 November 2012
Hotel Transylvania stars: Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Kevin James and David Spade. It goes for approximately 90 minutes. It fails to deliver GREAT 3D moments although some could be classified as 'GOOD'.

The first half of the movie is what is called 'Jokes Are Failing' Syndrome. Although they do crack in a couple of good laughs in the first half, majority don't live up to expectations that animations nowadays do. Too many slapstick moments and unnecessary forced jokes... NOTE TO FILM-MAKERS: If jokes are forced... Don't even bother with the joke!

The movie has heart though, which kind of makes for it's first half. The second half however is fun, cool, funny and surprisingly a bit thrilling! It does have it's fun moments... I will admit. Although some of the 3D doesn't work I still found it to be a good animation... Is it the best animation of the year? NO WAY! But is it great as an animation? No, not really it is what I call 'A good animation if you just let your mind do nothing!' A B from me.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this movie!
mackenziekaylyn21 October 2012
Everyone remembers that special movie they saw or that one that was the best for your mind, that one which really stuck. For me that movie was "Hotel Transylvania". I think it was one of the best children's movie ever made. It conveys humor, creativity, action and freedom.

Set in Transylvania in modern time, Dracula (Adam Sandler) hosts all the legendary monsters at his hotel to celebrate his daughter's one hundred and eighteenth birthday. But he works overtime to keep Mavis (Selena Gomez) from falling for a human boy named Johnny (Andy Samberg), who miraculously stumbles upon the hotel. All Mavis has ever wanted is to leave home and see the real world and see if humans are as bad as her father says they are. The main characters are Selena Gomez as Mavis, Andy Samberg as Johnny and Adam Sandler as Dracula. It is a brilliant cast for this movie.

Selena Gomez was perfect for the part of Mavis and did a great job while Andy Samberg was good but wasn't perfect for Johnny. I think he could've done a much better job. Adam Sandler was born to play the part of Dracula. He did a magnificent job and was extremely humorous. The other characters were great and they matched their roles perfectly!

I liked that we got to know the characters and what their goal was. For example Mavis wanted freedom and wanted to leave home. What I didn't like is that it was a bit confusing. For example, "Why was Johnny hiking in Transylvania at night?" or "Why didn't Mavis just turn in to a bat and fly away to see the real world?" These questions make you wonder but I still think it was a wonderful movie even for my age group.

I think the moral of the story was trust your children to make the right decisions no matter what you think about them and from the child point of view the moral was to know your parents are always just trying to protect you. And both are true and if you look at them from both sides you will get the full story. I think that this is a movie for age groups above five and below fifteen. Reason being because Dracula does a fang up where his face goes a bit creepy but other wise I'm sure parents will love it and children between the ages of five and fifteen will love it to.
23 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, but not executed very well
bazmitch2322 March 2013
My friend and I wanted to go see this for Halloween. We liked the idea of a hotel for monsters. We both hated it. The characters moved in very OTT way and it was distracting. Every shot was a close up on someone's face, I just wanted to push them away from the camera. The jokes weren't funny, it has the typical Adam Sandler toilet jokes that just make me groan. Jonathon was REALLY annoying. He was this films' Jar Jar. But worst of all we have the "Liar Revealed" cliché. Dracula pretends this human is a monster, they keep the lie up, at the end everyone finds out, they banish the human but then they realize they liked human so they want him back before he gets home.

We've seen this MILLIONS OF TIMES!

However, there were a few things I liked about it; the flying tables scene was very creative. It was like a Terry Gilliam scene, Steve Bucemi's wolfman was funny and there were a few good gags. The animation was nice and Mavis was cute in a very goth way.

I hated it, but I'll give it a 4 for at least trying.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horribly Unfunny
heatherleefox12 January 2013
I don't understand why this got so many stars by so many people. And I love cartoons.

If you loved "Up," "Finding Nemo," "Monsters Inc," "WALL-E," and/or all of the "Toy Story" movies (and you're an adult), you will be disappointed with this movie. Through the whole movie I was just waiting for something to grab my interest, but alas, I waited in vain. Maybe if you assume it will be bad, it will be better than expected, but I thought it would be good and was pretty disappointed with the whole thing. From the jokes to the creativity of the characters and even the voices were just lacking something. The animation was good (what animation isn't good these days?) but unoriginal and boring.
29 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meltingpot of celebrity monsters meets human Amurican
perica-431518 December 2020
The movie, mostly for kids, is quite lame. But it redeems itself a bit in the second half where roles are somewhat reversed. However, it does not have much to offer, except maybe for little kids. Still, it is not the worst cartoon there is.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not That Funny...
brown-faith92229 July 2013
This movies is funny, but not that funny. Obviously that is an extremely opinionated assertion, but it's my opinion. There just wasn't enough humor to cover up the obvious annoying clichés and the painful lack of likable characters.

This movie does absolutely nothing to draw you in and make you care at all about what happens to these creatures. The premise is great - a hotel where all the terrors of the past and present congregate? How could such an interesting idea be messed up? Like this.

For one thing, there were no surprises. Without giving too much away, I can say that it was obvious from the beginning what was going to happen to each one-dimensional character, and even more irritating was that it all happened using the same formula as every other stupid teen angst movie ever made. None of the characters interested me. None were developed enough.

Were there funny moments? Yes, and of course they managed to fit in the tiny, harmless yet funny reference to the certain famous/infamous series regarding sparkly fanged creatures, and that was all good and satisfying. Still, there were few rib-crackers... nothing that made you fall out of your seat giggling.

Okay, I'm only just getting to my real problem with this film - it's obvious political and social messages. Bottom line, let your kids go, they should be given room to breathe, etc. Whether you agree with that message or not, we see it so sickeningly often in film these days, it's become a kind of disgusting platitude. Originality? Anyone? And also, they do next to nothing to veil the obvious metaphor of monsters living in hiding (literally in closets, for some of them) misunderstood by the rest of the world. I make so social or political statements here when I say that it was way, way too obvious. And it makes the movie, for me, far more dramatic than it needs to be. Obviously, no one is going to take such a silly animated movie seriously, so why try to stuff dramatic messages in there? And why is it that a kid's movie is all of a sudden the place to be stuffing these political messages? In short, there was nothing about this movie that made me think, "Heh, that's interesting. I like that." I'd seen it all before. If it had cracked me up, perhaps I could have given it a pass. But it just wasn't that funny.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining.
invisibleunicornninja1 April 2018
This is a fun, dumb movie with cute animation. There is simple message in this entertaining and emotional movie for children. This movie is hilarious and can be enjoyed by both kids and adults. I enjoyed this movie, and I'd recommend it.
Hotel Transylvania Review
keithlovesmovies25 September 2015
When monsters want to go on vacation, they turn to Count Dracula's (Adam Sandler) Hotel Transylvania, a luxurious castle resort where they can simply be themselves without the possibility of being bothered by humans. For one special weekend, Dracula invites some of his creature friends: The Invisible Man (David Spade), The Mummy (CeeLo Green) among others to celebrate the 118th birthday of his daughter Mavis (Selena Gomez). Things do not go according to plan when a human named Jonathan (Andy Samberg) manages to crash Dracula's party and then begins to fall in love with Mavis.

Since I plan on seeing Hotel Transylvania 2 tomorrow, I thought I would first look at Hotel Transylvania. Adam Sandler has not had too many good movies this millennium. Most of them are just bad, stupid comedies. This one is a little stupid but I wouldn't call it bad. This is an animated kids movie so I wasn't expecting highbow or too deep. I thought it did its job with what it was trying to do. The animation isn't groundbreaking to say the least but I thought it was decent. The monsters all looked the way they were supposed to and their powers and abilities were well done as well. I can't speak too much more about that seeing that the theatrical version was in 3D and had more bells and whistles and I just saw it on Netflix. I also thought that the voice-over work was pretty good all around. Adam Sandler was great as Dracula and had some funny moments and some good one liners while also having great chemistry with the other characters. He was supposed to be Dracula but he was really just another Adam Sandler character but I didn't mind. What was also odd was the french accent Jon Lovitz used as Quasimodo. Being that this is an Adam Sandler film, the other characters are voiced by actors who have previously worked with Sandler in other films. The film did have other funny moments not involving Adam Sandler as most of its comedy comes from its portrayal of all the different monsters and their interactions with Dracula and one another. Most of the jokes were childish but I still found them funny. Underneath all of that is just a story about a father-daughter relationship where the father is just trying to raise his daughter and wanting what is best for her and trying to keep her safe. There's also a good message on stereotypes and prejudice. Sure the story may be a little cliché but it is just so damn cute.

Score: 7/10 keithlovesmovies.com
role choice, not sure
italian_guy16 April 2013
the movie was pretty good, but i will say it right off Adam Sandler sucked as Dracula, it was not the right roll, the personality and voice of the Dracula was not believable at all. he would have made a great addition but not the lead. his voice is to common in relation to his other roles. its a kids movie but its still also very cheesy was OK to watch but as a adult with a child it would be been nice to have some more underline jokes. how quickly Mavis fell for Jonathan was a little silly it went from 0-9 in one scene. kinda enjoyed the side story's more then the main one. the animation was really well done a lot of depth and render in the images.
I Loved this Animation
claudio_carvalho20 January 2013
In 1895, Dracula builds a resort in Transylvania, hidden from the humans, to raise his beloved daughter Mavis in a safe environment. In the present days, the place is the Hotel Transylvania, where monsters bring their families to spend vacation far from the frightening humans.

Dracula invites his friends – Frankenstein and his wife Eunice; Wayne and Wanda, the werewolves; Griffin, the invisible man; Murray, the mummy; the Bigfoot, among others – to celebrate the 118th birthday of Mavis. When the party is ready to start, the 21-year-old Jonathan is walking through the forest and stumbles at the hotel. Dracula sees Jonathan and disguises him as a monster to hide Jonathan from his guests. But Mavis also sees Jonathan and Dracula forces him to pose of a monster. Soon Mavis believes that Jonathan is the "zing" of her life despite the advices of her father about the humans.

"Hotel Transylvania" is a delightful animation and a wonderful family entertaining for adults and children. The plot has a great message against prejudice and racism and the funny story made me laugh a lot with the gags. Dracula and his friends are certainly among the loveliest monsters of the cinema with "The Munsters" and "The Adams Family". My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Hotel Transilvânia" ("Hotel Transylvania")
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very un-unique animation which is still surprisingly good in its own way
illbebackreviews22 February 2013
When 'Hotel Transylvania' first came out, I had absolutely no intention of seeing it for two reasons: Adam Sandler and vampires. I thought a comedy about Dracula would be boring. This movie isn't that bad but at the same time isn't that funny In this movie, we have Count Dracula who has organized a building called Hotel Transylvania to keep his fellow monsters safe from the evil humans. Now, doesn't that sound familiar? From a Pixar movie? MONSTERS INC! One day, a human accidentally ventures into the monster world...Hmm...Still familiar and meets Dracula's daughter, Mavis voiced by Selena Gomez and falls in love...Still remind me of the Sully and Boo relationship as well as segments of Twilight.

I'll start off by saying that voice acting is brilliant. Adam Sandler really was great as Count Dracula, Adam Samberg was great as Johnny and Kevin James was a great Frankenstein. Selena Gomez also did a great job. The story however isn't anything special by any means. Too much of the story is from Monsters Inc but there are parts of Twilight in this movie which I love as a lot of it is indirectly mocking that god-awful series. The characters are funny but by no means any memorable. The dialogue is actually the movie's greatest strength. It really is hilarious in so many ways. There are so many one liners and Johnny's line "Wow man! Your Dracula impression is way over the top!" is simply hilarious as is the woman with the annoying voice saying to the monster in the kitchen "Your voice is annoying" If it weren't for the dialogue, this movie could so easily be horrible. The visual animations in the movie are stunning with each scene being carefully visualised and is truly a treat for the eye.

The film's main problem is its very close resemblance to Monsters Inc which makes the movie nothing unique. However, the mocking of Twilight is handled very well, the animations are superb, the characters and voice acting are done well and is well directed but a bit rushed at certain points during the film. The film could also have been a good ten minutes shorter and we wouldn't have missed anything funny or special. Overall, a good animation movie which isn't unique but funny
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite Funny
gavin694225 April 2016
Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count's teen-aged daughter.

As far as plots go, this one is pretty simple and not all that deep or clever. The characters are also not that deep. Often, this will take away from a film (or completely ruin it, like it did for "The Good Dinosaur"). But this was also a very funny movie, and that more than made up for it.

I confess that I was hesitant about it being a film coming out of the "Adam Sandler camp". It seems Sandler has more misses than hits these days, but this was clearly a hit. Funny for both adults and children, great use of characters to drive the humor home. I wasn't super-crazy about Andy Samberg's character (who sounded like Steve Zahn), but it wasn't a deal-breaker.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would only recommend if you have nothing else to watch.
singingmaiden10 August 2014
We watched with my husband "Hotel Transylvania" yesterday, thinking it would be a funny and easy movie. I think I laughed at just 1-2 points. We both got kinda bored halfway through the movie but kept watching it nevertheless. The idea and the story was nice but the whole movie is just a fast paced thing that I felt didn't give us a second of peace to breathe and think and enjoy what was going on. It just tired me. Graphics are good, voices so and so (but that is just a personal opinion), music/songs nothing special. So no, I wouldn't watch it again and neither will I recommend it to anyone I know. It's not terrible it's just that I feel there are so many other movies that I would recommend instead of this.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost on the Edge of Giving It a 7, But WTH!
ivern-326-7116368 October 2012
Hotel Transylvania is the latest Sony Pictures Animation movie. It's about Count Dracula, who builds this hotel for monsters where they can relax and be isolated from humans. But secretly, the main reason he creates it is so that his daughter will be safe from danger. So when a human accidentally enters the hotel, Dracula has to do everything he can to prevent the other guests to find out or even suspect anything about the human being a human. But at the same time, his daughter gets involved, and there's this whole comedy-thing with wacky animation and over-the-top characters and all that.

Hotel Transylvania is a movie that I was very unsure if I really liked or just liked. It was kind of in the middle. But after some long thinking, I came to the conclusion that it's a very good movie that I really enjoyed. The main reason this movie is so good is because of the sense of humor. There are references to classic horror movies such as Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Fly. There are also just plain LOL-jokes and even a joke that directly criticizes Twilight. I mean, wow! Sony Pictures Animation have always been known for their great sense of humor (most notably in 2009's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs). But I think this one takes the cake.

But the reason I was skeptical whether I really liked it or just liked it was that the story is incredibly uninteresting. Ironically enough, for a movie that has a scene making fun of Twilight, the main plot of the movie is a love story between Dracula's daughter and the human visitor. The love story isn't bad, just cliché and forgettable. The story also doesn't really have any true twists and turns, besides one that's small and pretty insignificant. It's basically just the "it's been a misunderstanding, we have to get back the person that misunderstood before it's too late"-type of plot points.

The story also had potential. There is one scene where we learn about Dracula's past, and it's actually pretty dark and emotional. But they blew it by not doing anything with that plot and just kept on going with the romantic comedy story.

With all these gripes aside, I really did enjoy Hotel Transylvania, mainly because it is such a good comedy. And not just for animation, it is right up there with being a great comedy. It's not as funny as The Dictator or Ted, obviously, but it is a very enjoyable movie that's hard not to enjoy.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family Friendly, Festive and Fun!
kab66099 October 2012
There are very few movies anymore that are truly kid friendly, but i truly enjoyed this one! The best part is it has nice messages for both kids and parents. My boys loved the whole monster theme. I personally would wait till a child is 8 or 9 before letting them see it only in case they may fear goofy monsters and voices. It was nice as an adult to have some unexpected clean laughs. The many generational perspectives, and even in an odd way, cultural perspectives can make this an easy film for a broad range of ages to enjoy, from 8 to 70 years. I also enjoyed hearing good old stars like Kevin James, Adam Sandler, and Fran Dresher as the voices. As an 80's teenager i have a natural respect for these actors, actresses, and "90's feel" films. I did not see it in 3D, but based on the animation i just saw, i am sure it would even be better in 3d. So this would be a fabulous film to add to the October/Halloween festivities. It really put us into the spirit of fun and laughs.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.