The Nines (2007) Poster

(2007)

Major spoilers in second half of post.
crisnyc31 August 2007
I saw the premiere in NYC tonight. Ryan Reynolds and one of the producers (Bruce Cohen) spoke beforehand.

I thought this film was first-rate. It quite bent my mind. Often after seeing a film that affects me I can't get up from my seat (like most people do) when the credits roll, or even when the credits end (like everyone else does) because I need to process what I have just seen, plus it's hard to bring my self back to reality when a film has taken me to a profound place, like this one did.

What I noticed after this film was that practically the whole theater sat in pensive silence until the end of the credits, something I think I've never seen. For me it was stunned silence.

I can't see The Nines playing in the big Multiplexes, but no bother. Most of the best films don't.

____________________

Spoilers start here.

____________________

I think I understand about 75% of the script, the rest I figure is ambiguous or inscrutable. Here are my takes. I'd love to hear other's:

• He is a god (i.e., a "Nine"), not The God, but one of many. For 4,000 years he has been creating Universes for his amusement. He is addicted to doing this. - In each Universe he has a different persona. At some point, he eliminates the Universe and starts another one. (Why doesn't he know Who He Is in each incarnation?) - The 3 recurring characters (Hope Davis, the guy who plays the policeman, and the woman who plays the prostitute) are from his cosmic "world." They are trying to bring him out of his addiction and get him to return "Home," i.e., back to being a celestial being without a body. - I'm not sure of the Melissa McCarthy character(s). She is clearly a human (a Seven) and is very attached to him. She is trying to keep him on earth because she enjoys, loves, needs him. There is a battle between her and the Hope Davis character(s) over keeping him human versus spectral. I think this is why several times Hope tells him "We had to get you away from her," because she (McCarthy) is the embodiment of his addiction to being human.
70 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A predictable 9 for The Nines
standeman19847 December 2007
I wrote this without reading any of the other reviews, mostly cos i didn't want them to influence my own, and partly cos i'm lazy. This was a very interesting film that left some to the imagination and a lot to interpretation (but not too much).

The film consists of 3 stories: the first about a house-arrested destructive TV star, the second a TV show writer with a new show in the works and the third a computer game creator stuck in the woods with his family. All three are played expertly by Ryan Reynolds. He is supported by two women, Hope Davis and Melissa McCarthy, who are also very good at enforcing the bizarre yet irresistible vision of John August, who has a good track record of writing screenplays, most notably with Tim Burton (it's worth ignoring the Charlie's Angels jobs though). The three leads play different parts in each. That alone should prepare you for the world he has created in The Nines.

It is difficult to talk of the story without giving too much away, John August has found a great concept and worked it brilliantly into a interpretable screenplay and image. The world he has created seems very real, with characters that operate in abnormal situations, but ones in which i think we all can relate, given our excessive access to reality TV and celebrity.

The direction is good, you know from the very start that the green woollen wristband holds significance, and the witty, experienced, inflective screen writing is a joy (though at times August gives a little more away than is necessary).

The film is a fantasy and the nines are a mystery, both collaborating in a way that captures the imagination. The three stories intersect and overlap with themes that confuse and inspire, which will leave many audiences pondering for awhile. But it is not as confusing as it may appear as the plot unfolds fairly intricately to those paying attention. All of the stories hold explanations, and the last explains it all.

I saw this with a friend who i wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but surprisingly they did. I giggled, guffawed and gasped, while we exchanged plot ideas and interpretations, throughout. Sometimes it became a little dry, but on the whole this a very well thought out drama mystery thriller with an excellent philosophy.
140 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Look For The Nines
kixbooty1 February 2008
I started watching this movie after looking it up on IMDb. The plot summary said: A troubled actor, a television show runner, and an acclaimed video game designer find their lives intertwining in mysterious and unsettling ways.

I thought it sounded interesting, but never did i expect it would be such a thoughtful, intelligent and awe-inspiring experience.

At first, I'll be honest, I didn't understand it. It was extremely random and didn't seem to make much sense. It seemed like Ryan Reynolds' character might be a little insane or something, as he played these three different personalities, whose only connection was the people in their lives. But as the movie progressed and I learned more about what 'the nines' actually are, it starts to dawn on you that this movie has a very unique twist.

When the whole thing comes together and the big secret is revealed, everything else in the film falls into place. It is very rare for that to happen in a film, especially in such an effective way, and it is a product of fantastic writing. To have the audience realize what the whole movie has been about at that one revealing moment is a great achievement. And it is accomplished in this movie.

So don't worry if you have trouble understanding what is going on at first. When you do find out what the movie is about, I guarantee you will experience an "oh i get it now!" kind of feeling.

This movie is sensational and subtle at the same time and i recommend it to anyone who wants to have their minds blown!
97 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Nines Keeps You Guessing Till The Very End
Matt_Layden26 March 2008
The Nines tells three short stories, the first of about an actor who is under house arrest after flipping over his car, the second is about a writer who's pilot TV show is in jeopardy and the last deals with a video game designer lost in the woods after his car breaks down. All three stories are told with the same actors.

When I first heard about The Nines, everyone was raving about how original it was and how it was like nothing they have ever seen before. So obviously it peeked my interest. After finally watching the film, I can see where it gets it's praise, but don't fully understand why it's getting so much of it. Yes, The Nines is original and keeps you guessing until the very end, but the pay off isn't as good as the rest of the film.

This is John August's directorial debut, if you don't know who August is, he's the writer of such films like Big Fish, Corpse Bride and Go. The Nines is another impressive entry to his already good resume. It seems that August was confident enough to tackle this big project. I applaud him ambitions. He didn't fail by any means, but he didn't blow me away either. It is always a love hate relationship when the writer is the director. When it works, you get Pulp Fiction, when it doesn't you get Blade Trinity. When the writer is the director, he knows exactly what he wants, he knows the characters inside out and how to bring everything together. The Nines doesn't seem to fall into either category, it seems to sit on the fence.

Ryan Reynolds proves again that he has more range then people give him credit for. He might have painted himself into a corner with Van Wilder and Waiting, but he seems to be slowly breaking free of it. He showed range at the very end of Smoking Aces and in the recent rom com Definitely Maybe. With The Nines he again proves why he is underestimated and will bring greater things in the future. Reynolds plays the lead in all three shorts. We see him as a crack addicted actor, gay writer and family man video game designer. While he doesn't blow you away with his performance, he does manage to capture you and bring you along for the ride from start to finish.

Hope Davis appears here in a supporting role, again playing three different characters in all three shorts. She manages to get so much across the screen by doing so little. A look here or move there and you know exactly what she is thinking. Melissa McCarthy plays herself in one segment, I think she had the hardest job. She has to be bubbly, scared, mean and informative.

The three segments are all shot differently. The first segment, titled The Prisoner, showcases bright reds and yellows and was shot on 16mm. The second segment, titles reality television is shot on video. The entire segment plays out like a reality TV show as we follow Gavin (reynolds) and his troubles in trying to get his pilot on air. The third and final segment, titled Knowing, is darker and shot on 35mm. The third segment has the same title as the pilot that Gavin in the second segment is writing. Even the same events take place. Without giving too much away, all three segment interconnect with each other. But not exactly in a way you want or think.

If you are confused after watching the film, join the club. I knew what happened and sort of got some things, but had to read up on it to see what others thought to finally connect the dots. The films does a very good job of teasing the viewer with bits of information and bringing them along asking questions left right and centre. As the film concludes you sit there wondering if you are satisfied or not. I still do not know really. I like the idea behind the film and the presentation was nice, but the way they dragged us along seemed like it would amount to something bigger, something deeper, something more then what we are ultimately given.

The film doesn't answer everything and it doesn't need to. It's a film that leaves it's answers up to the viewer, to make whatever assumptions they want. But even this isn't satisfying enough. I guess because all the hype I head prior, I expected more. If you go into it not knowing anything about it, you will be pleasantly surprised.
55 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Splendid Little Film the Challenges the Mind and Forges New Ground
gradyharp2 February 2008
THE NINES is a film that may seem like a tough story to follow, but the concept and the 'autobiographical' script by the gifted John August are so fine that once seen, this film demands re-visiting. It is tremendously entertaining, blessed with a superb cast, and offers food for thought far beyond the running time of the film. For this viewer it falls into the 'brilliant' category.

More of an existential exercise than a traditional movie tale, THE NINES has the courage to challenge our concept of that is the real world, what is fantasy, what exists beyond our concept of our 'space' here on planet Earth, and just how significant is the current obsession with television reality shows and videogames on the way we are stuck in the present. John August explores these issues by interweaving three stories, using the same actors to change vantages and personalities to raise questions and pose problems for the audience to attempt to resolve. It works.

Part I ('The Prisoner') views the life of a famous television personality Gary (Ryan Reynolds) who naïvely takes on a 'crack' trip that results in a house arrest controlled by a jovial officer Margaret (Melissa McCarthy) and whose only outlet is a neighbor Sarah (Hope Davis) with whom he has a seductive affinity: while both women appear real, events occur that make their existence questionable to the crack-addled Gary. In Part II, 'Reality Television', Gavin (Reynolds) is a television writer attempting to get his pilot film accepted by executive boss Susan (Davis), but falls into troubled times when he is told his best friend Melissa (McCarthy) must be dropped from the project. In Part III, 'Knowing', Gabriel (Reynolds) is a gentle video game creator, happily married to Mary (McCarthy) with a daughter Noelle (Elle Fanning) who has been weaving in and out of the film as different characters, gets stuck in a forest and in attempting to seek help encounters Sierra (Davis), a strange woman who finally approaches the possibilities of Gabriel's 'mission on earth'. The title of the movie becomes apparent when Sierra informs Gabriel that while God is a 10, human beings are only 7s, koala bears are 8s because they control the environment, and Gabriel is a 9 - an extraterrestrial being in a human incarnation to test the goodness of the earth. How this information affects Gabriel and how the story is resolved is yet more of the intellectual exercise and joy of THE NINES.

Ryan Reynolds is extraordinarily fine in his three roles: he is a far better actor than the usual films he makes would indicate. Hope Davis and Melissa McCarthy are as always reliably excellent. But the magic of this film comes form the mind and direction of John August who thankfully gives the audience much to ponder. It is a gem of a film. Highly Recommended.

Grady Harp
40 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See The Nines
moviewizguy11 April 2008
The film is divided in to three acts: "The Prisoner" tells of a troubled actor, Gary, under house arrest living in another person's house because he burned down his own. While living in the house he is befriended by both a P.R. 'handler', Margaret, and the single mom next door, Sarah, who may or may not be interested in him romantically. Over the course of his house arrest, Gary becomes convinced that he is being haunted by the number nine.

"Reality Television" tells of a television writer, Gavin, trying to get his pilot made. The house he lives in is the house Gary later stays in. During the process of post production and the 'upfronts', a television executive, Susan, pushes for Gary to ditch the unconventional lead actress of his project, Melissa. This segment was somewhat inspired by writer/director John August's own experiences in the television industry.

"Knowing" tells of an acclaimed video game designer, Gabriel, who is lost when his car breaks down, a situation shown in Gavin's pilot. Gabriel leaves his wife and daughter with the stranded vehicle and meets up with Sierra, a mysterious woman.

"The Nines" is a film definitely worth watching, just for the weirdness of it and how thought-provoking and unlike any film you've ever seen. It's in the vein of, let's say, "Being John Malkovich" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." This is the film where you won't stop thinking about it and that you'll talk about it with the people who have seen it.

It's not a film that you'll forget after the credits start rolling. Now that you get the point, it's time to talk about the movie. Even so, it's hard to describe this movie in words. When you ask people if this movie is good or not, they'll either like it or not, but it's hard to explain their reason and it's hard to explain why I love this.

The performance by the three main characters from the three stories, Ryan Reynolds, Melissa McCarthy, and Hope Davis, were all fantastic, having themselves to change their personality so much. It's pretty amazing. But of course, the movie will arise more questions than answering them. It's like "Donnie Darko," per se. This should be a cult hit, even though it isn't right now.

This is a really weird film and it's hard to explain anything, as you can tell. All I can say is watch it because the way the stories are told, the thought put into all of this, and the strong performances are already some reasons to watch it.
42 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it isn't artistic
reneweddan7 October 2010
Underrated, overlooked, under-appreciated.

Ryan Reynolds has yet to let me down, he's always been excellent, you can tell he has passion in his roles and this is no exception.

Melissa McCarthy did excellent, her portrayal of her character is spot on, makes me wonder why she isn't given more quality roles, she has potential Any film Hope Davis is in has always been good, she knows how to pick her roles.

This film is a bit confusing, complicated, and you might need to search for some information afterward, but it's a solid film.

The only advice I could give without spoiling the film is to pay close attention to the ending of each chapter in the film, in particular, what is decided.

I enjoy films that bend the rules, thought-provoking films that allow for creativity to seep through the screen into your own life. Artistic and creative, the possibilities in life and/or the meanings of life are endless, so it's great some films focus on something other than the normal linear perspective.

If you enjoy any of the actors listed, or sci-fi, or under-appreciated films, check this one out.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautifully Surreal
Brooke26 January 2008
John August really outdid himself in his directorial debut. We all knew he could write, and now we know that he is one hell of a director. He took risks, and accepted major challenges, including filming out of his own house to save budget. With a cast lead by Ryan Reynolds, who really exceptionally out-did himself, this movie was the best movie nobody has ever heard of.

Filmed in three parts, "The Nines" connects the three worlds using a simple, common term...the number 9. Now, this isn't like The Number 23. There are reasons, and there are valid points to why 9 was chosen, and you'll just have to watch the film to figure it out. The result is something very existential and outside the box when it comes to typical cinematic works. The relationships between Ryan Reynolds, Hope Davis, and Melissa McCarthy are so perfectly intertwined, and little Elle Fanning deserves major credit for playing what role she did. (a mute child who has a curious omniscience about her) She's really following in her sister's footsteps to becoming a fantastic actress.

This film did not get the credit it deserved in the theaters. Let's make sure it does on DVD.
41 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it's not metaphysics
fester-1517 January 2008
-- possible spoilers --

Seeing all the comments, I was just wondering if I'm the only one seeing this film differently. In my mind, there's a much simpler perspective to this film than the 'metaphysical' one. I think it is all about writing. The protagonist is the Writer, and what we see is a clever unfolding of the creative process. Writers tend to fully live and inhabit the world they are creating, at least at the time of the creative process. If you watch the film through this perspective, all the references and happenings fall into place. The god-like protagonist, his relationships with the characters - especially the painful parting -, etc, etc.

Having said that, it's a great film, and even its indecisive filming tone falls nicely into place when you finally get to realize what is it that you're watching.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant in all aspects.
AwQuity22 January 2007
As I sat in the packed Sundance theater watching the final scene of John August's, The Nines, I shuttered. The film had sent chills down my spine, and it lasted into the night. The script was brilliant beyond anything I have ever experienced, the character development between the three parts dissecting the film was astonishing. The metaphorical tie- ins left your mind racing and your imagination spinning. It was not ironic in a sense that it allowed you to contemplate the scenarios that had just unveiled. John August is a brilliant writer and holds himself magnificently in front of the film industry. Ryan Reynolds blew me away and Melissa McCarthy was amazing. The character interaction between them and Hope Davis reflected on the complexity of the dialogue and scene structure. The film is broken into three intertwining sections, serving as "acts" that play into a plot scheme that defies the contemporary and conformist thought of todays screenplay writers.

The best to come from sundance this year... by far. John August matches Charlie Kaufman as a writer, and parallels Michel Gondry as a director He is outstanding in himself The film is one to reckon with and hopefully will hit the big screens but last its authentic, rare, independent flavor.
185 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best movie I saw at Sundance
joshuahickman1 May 2007
It's a "9" This was the best movie I saw at Sundance Film Festival. An extremely creative script broken into three smaller stories where the actors play three sets of different roles... or do they?

Spoiler Alert!

This movie encompasses Psychology, Metaphysical multi-dimensional Theory, personal philosophy, and Theology. As a Seminarian, I loved this movie. It demonstrates an image of God that is believable but challenges most religions view of the omni-present, omni-loving, and omni-powerful God. It begs the question and reminds you of the song title, "What if God was one of us?"

Practically, this movie is three smaller stories all brought together when the secret is revealed. The first segment is a Comedy, the second a reality TV series, and the third a Drama. When the third segment starts you're ready to get serious, and delightfully surprised.

I gained a new respect for Ryan Reynolds as an actor, you fall in love Melissa McCarthy, and in the all is well with God... and all is well with us.
40 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting idea but ultimately disappointing
AllStarAlun1 October 2008
The Nines has some fantastic ideas and some really rather good performances (Melissa McCarthy is a constant joy throughout and Ryan Reynolds shows an impressive diversity for his acting league) however, after a promising start, loses its way as the story progresses.

A film of three distinct parts in a Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) style, The Nines deals with some seriously deep themes including philosophy, theology and betrayal. However, unlike Eternal Sunshine, the direction of John August (writer of Go and Big Fish) seems too straight and, dare I say it, Teen-like for such a film where a better choice of helm would have seem to be someone like David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks) or maybe Darren Aronofski (Pi, The Fountain). As it is the film progressively gets weirder and weirder and with it surrealism jars with the previous tone to the point it feels preposterous.

Worth a watch and nice to see someone try something new but ultimately disappointing.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Give it a chance
necron991 February 2008
I will not spoil the movie for anyone. I watched this film last night. This is a film that is worth renting and watching. It has a Donnie Darko flavor to it and is very interesting. The script is solid and very intelligent, as well as the acting. There are three different movies all linking up into one movie about creation in my opinion. All three films contain the same characters, it is just that the roles interchange and do not make sense until the end of the movie. The film begins as almost a comedy and turns into a thriller so just be aware of this and do not get turned off too early. I give this a 7 (as opposed to 9) for a truly unique film with a solid cast. This one is worth renting.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film to make a unintelligent person feel intelligent.
jedijosh-19 November 2009
This movies suffers from one major flaw, it goes from being a really good movie to a really bad movie and back again. During the times when this movie was good was when it wasn't trying too hard to explain things. However when the explanations come, the movie becomes a exercise in patronization. Apart from these flaws and a musical number during the first act in the film, this film is pretty good. Sometimes I think these type of movies are made for the purpose of making people feel more intellectual than they really are. Nonlinear mysterious stories such as this one deserve more than what this movie has to offer. This movie had so much potential and in the end I'm left wondering what might of been.
30 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
outstanding
sfelix7527 January 2008
My mind just been blown away. I know that many would disagree, but god bless eMule, cause I am pretty sure that this beautiful piece won't ever hit the big screen over here. I have grown to forget the storyline of the picture I saw day before, yet this one... You would never realize how bad you missed a quality staff, till you come around one. Besides the fact that every part was masterly seamed around the main character, and extraordinary performance of Ryan Reynolds (he is unbelievable) I was pleasantly surprised by the way the storyline had clashed with the real world. Can't elaborate on anything more, just go and see...anyway...
40 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strange. . .and strangely thought-provoking
Bruce Burns14 November 2007
Normally, I don't like gimmicky movies. All right, I'll admit that I enjoyed "The Third Man", "Vertigo", "Psycho", "The Usual Suspects", "The Sixth Sense" and "Memento". But usually when I see something like "Persona", "Miller's Crossing", "Jacob's Ladder", "Mulholland Drive", "Lady in the Water", or "The Prestige", I want to throw something at the screen because I feel the writers and directors of these movies are either insulting my intelligence, or displaying a lack thereof on their part. "The Nines" is that refreshing sort of gimmick-film that shows intelligence on the filmmaker's part, but doesn't insult the viewers'.

The film is divided into 3 distinct chapters, each starring Ryan Reynolds as the protagonist, Melissa McCarthy as someone who clings to Reynolds, and Hope Davis as someone who is trying to pull Reynolds away from McCarthy using the phrase "Look for the Nines." And each chapter ends ironically in a way that partially reveals what the catch-phrase means and connects the chapter to the other two.

In chapter one, Reynolds plays Gary, an actor under house arrest for buying crack. Since he doesn't have his own place, he is assigned to live with his hyper-perky publicist Margaret (McCarthy) in a house belonging to a TV producer, currently in New York shopping his new show. Gary and Margaret eventually develop a flirty relationship, even though "flirting" tends to involve viciously insulting each other. Eventually, the idyll ends when next-door-neighbor Sarah (Davis) takes an interest in Gary, and tells him that since he is a nine out of ten on the attractiveness scale, he should dump the overweight Margaret and "look for the nines".

In chapter two, Reynolds plays Gavin, the TV producer who owns the house where Gary is confined in chapter one. He is in New York shopping a new supernatural series starring Melissa McCarthy (playing herself in this chapter) as a mother who is left sitting in a car with her creepy mute daughter (Elle Fanning) while her husband looks for help. Test audiences love the show, but want him to replace the overweight McCarthy with someone more conventionally attractive. Gavin resists because of his feelings of loyalty towards McCarthy, and eventually network exec Susan (Davis) steps in, and tell him he needs to see how the test audience voted from one to ten and "look for the nines" and see what they have to say about the show.

The third chapter is the drama that Gavin was producing in chapter two. Reynolds is Gabriel, a software designer out for a drive in the woods, when his car runs out of gas. He leaves his wife Mary (McCarthy) to care for their creepy mute daughter Noelle (Fanning), while he looks for help. Eventually he runs into Sierra (Davis) who leads him on a wild goose chase before finally telling him what the phrase "Look for the Nines" really means, and why he has to abandon his family.

I like that each chapter has its own genre. Chapter 1 is a musical romantic comedy shot conventionally on film, with lots of close-ups. Chapter 2 is a pseudo-reality-show shot on shaky-cam DV that never gets particularly close to the actors. And Chapter 3 is a thriller with cinematography that splits the difference between the first two chapters: It's shot on DV; and when the characters run, the camera shakes; but in the still moments, the camera is still; and there are plenty of close-ups of people's faces.

I also like that when the secret of "The Nines" is revealed, it doesn't feel forced or like writer-director John August has pulled a fast one on us. And I thought it was cool that the female lead went to someone who doesn't fit the conventional body type of a Hollywood actress.

The only complaint I have about this movie is that the acting, directing and camera-work were merely adequate. Only the writing was truly exceptional. But good writing can absolve a multitude of sins far worse than what this film is guilty of. 8 out of 10.
39 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Somewhat fresh concept - Gets boring at times
Vishal Kumar24 October 2012
This is one of those movies which scatter all the pieces and in the end all of them start fitting together into something beautiful. So as expected the best parts of the movie are towards the end but what 'The Nines' lacks is that these pieces get pretty dull and boring at times. One cannot watch an entire 90+ minutes movie just for a pleasing end and exploration of concept. When done with the movie i got that 'not worth it' feeling with a mixture of dissatisfaction for a good concept been wasted.

Should you watch it? Yes, it is watchable.

If the story ended in a way where it left the movie open to various interpretations (a presentation very much possible with this one) and left the audience in surprise and with questions, would have been more appropriate than the usual happy family ending. A Donnie Darko end with a sad mysterious feeling could have added great quality to the movie.

I had a feeling that i was watching a sitcom the entire time with Ryan Reynolds in it. Give me that movie feel and add one more star but for this its 6/10.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
outrageously rubbish
rhys_cranfield1 June 2008
I have never felt the need to write / post anything on the internet however, i deem it to be my civic duty to inform and try and help as many people not make the same mistake that my girlfriend and i made while picking a film to watch. Having just watched 'The nines', Im left feeling upset that i invested, just over an hour and a half of my Sunday afternoon watching and scratching my head over a ludicrously over- complicated piece of nonsense that goes nowhere fast and then has the cheek to be described as a 'Intense psychological thriller'. I do not wish to sound rude or negative but this film is very poor and even on a basic level it just doesn't cut the mustard.
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More Than I Expected
SwapnalPatel20 January 2008
I have just finished watching 'The Nines' and felt compelled to rate it. The Nines is a movie that is well...very hard to describe. It has behind it a wonderful storyline with unbelievable detail right form the start. Ryan Reynolds in this movie is amazing. Played his parts wonderfully and supported by a great cast. Very good directorial This type of movie has many genres and is difficult to pick just one and i love this about it. Though a warning for this movie... you should only really watch with people serious about film...as it will just ruin the whole atmosphere of the film if you watch it with people who aren't. 10/10 Perfect.Amazing and would happily watch it again...and again. I fully recommend this movie to you.
27 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
...okay?
Lily Ohdundee11 August 2012
If the whole point of that movie was to leave you in the dark, it certainly did its job. When I saw it on netflix with the great cast that it has I was excited for it! But it just seems like this movie doesn't know what it wants to be! It starts out a drug like hallucination, then starts of in the comedy direction. It gets a little horror movie, a little scifi and none were really that enjoyable. The whole world of this movie was just confusing and rather overwhelming. Not one that brings whimsy to your mind or makes you want to jump in. It doesn't really give a point of why we should care for this protagonist at all either. This movie just did not have me interested, though it seems like it would have a better premise as a novel.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Hated It And Couldn't Wait For It To End
Scott Carlson2 March 2008
This film should have been titled Cutesy Wootsy, Trendy Wendy and the Faux Boho Wannabe. Although the premise of the script was quite interesting, it was presented as a self gratifying homage to the annoying world of Hollywood cell phone attachment and nouveau cuisine addiction. Sorry, after years of being there I dropped out and have realized how much better my life is now that I avoid those horrible impolite and self-centered people. However, if you like that kind of thing then this film could really tickle your pleasure center, and I'm sure it does the trick for some people, just not me. Consider this review a polite warning for those that dislike the exciting fast paced world of obnoxious California Feral Swine.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant piece of work
seawalker2 December 2007
Ryan Reynolds is Gary, a slightly dim and befuddled actor, under house arrest.

Ryan Reynolds is Gavin, a gay writer, trying to get his TV pilot picked up by the network.

Ryan Reynolds is Gabriel, a games designer, trying to get a signal so that he can make a call on his mobile phone.

Who are all of these people and why do they all look like Ryan Reynolds?

It's an almost impossible task to review "The Nines" without the risk of spoilers, so I am not going to try. It would be a vile crime against one of the best films of the year for any spoilers to be aired here. So, in the vaguest possible terms I can muster, "The Nines" is about alternative realities, games, God, TV, friendship, betrayal, drugs, family life and numbers.

"The Nines" is a brilliant piece of work, in the tradition of the fractured storytelling of movies like David Lynch's "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive". It is a true jigsaw puzzle of a movie and will leave you scratching your head and wanting more. Great performances from Ryan Reynolds (who would have thought it?), Hope Davis (expected) and Melissa McCarthy (never heard of her).

I thought that "The Nines" was a really great film. Straight into my top 10 of the best films of 2007.
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful, loooong, boooring, movie, not worth the paaain.
compmend17 January 2008
This movie was long drawn out and boooring, in my opinion. I fully understood the movie and the overall concept was intriguing and the acting was great, but, all the stories seemed to have a lot of unneeded footage and dialog. It seemed as if they tried to fill time by shooting footage of meaningless, unrelated, scenes. In getting to the point of the movie there could have been a little action or something thrown in to add a little balance to the movie.

I also just don't get why people think this movie was thought provoking, the concept of multiple gods dabbling in human existence has been around for millenia, this seems to be just a rewrite of an old Greek myth, with more modern dialog.

Conclusion, I would not give my worst enemy a copy of this movie as I don't hate anyone enough to let them sit through this painfully agonizing film.
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I have just wasted part of my life........
hugosaner29 September 2008
What was all that about? It made no sense from beginning to end......if there was an end! I would recommend to anyone who was thinking about watching this to save their time and do something more constructive with their lives like eating rust or sticking pins in their eyes. A truly awful film in every sense.

A film should have a story line that makes sense and not be arty for the sake of being arty. I mean at what point did the actors read the script and goes "Hmmm that makes sense on so many levels...I must put my name to that". If you enjoyed it you seriously need to get out more and think about meeting people and socialising.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"thank you"?
Rodrigo Calderon10 February 2008
the best thing about this film is the trailer... cause that was what draw me to this movie. its a movie for people who like "feeling" they are looking at art, when they don't know crap! it not only looked like a Sunday night movie made for TV, but it even has to explain everything with their characters in order for the audience to "understand" the concept. a semi-god being pursued by others to go back instead of being addicted to thought-creating realities??? if taken literally, it would have been a hilarious comedy. and, to end up my hate-comment... it even ends up with a happy ending, along with the murmur "thank you" by one of the main characters. nothing can make a crappy movie crappier than that, NOTHING. so no, i wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, unless it was downloaded by someone else and given to you... cause it would have made me angry as well to waste my broadband with a movie like this.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this