Carriers (2009) Poster

(2009)

Decent Thriller
Raage4 September 2009
It's hard for me to precisely categorize this movie. Drama? Sure. Thriller? For sure. Horror? Mmm, I don't think so. It's funny, because it's hard not to label the movie horror, seeing as how it deals with a grotesque infection, that spreads worldwide terror and brings civilization to its knees. However, the infected aren't the antagonists here. Once you've been infected, you're basically already dead.

Ultimately I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. After reading other comments here, it seems the general consensus is that the pace is too sluggish. I'd have to agree that it was a long 90 minutes, but as someone who is prone to falling asleep during movies, especially after an 8 hour shift, my interest was effortlessly sustained throughout the movie.

The production values here are top notch. I was never bothered by bad acting (or at least too bad). The cast fit my tastes, maybe only falling short with Piper Perabo, but that would only be nit-picking. The photography wasn't jaw-dropping, or even slightly innovative, but it was still more than adequate.

What actually impressed me most was the writing. There are some real gems in there, but mentioning them would be spoiling some great scenes. I seemed to sense some anti-religious or religious undertones, however I honestly can't decide which. I suppose that's what I liked so much about it, the morality was left quite vague.

Anyway, a solid effort. It's possibly lacking some more gore, and action, but that also could have just made it tasteless. I would recommend this to anyone who's a fan of biological horror, but I'd say ultimately you should see it for the story, and not the action.
135 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First of all, this is NOT a horror film.
Mori7 December 2009
Second this is NOT a zombie film. So don't be fooled by the idiotic marketing of this fine little gem. What this is, is a deliberately paced drama about a group of survivors in a world plagued with a virus that's pretty much killed everyone and the hard decisions they have to make on their way. It could be a companion piece to The Road almost, a sort of prequel set a few years before.

While it is "slow" it only clocks in about 84 minutes which is far too short in my opinion and I wanted more really. Something tells me that the film was originally much longer but cut down by the producers to please the teens who all seem to hate it anyway.

Good film, crap marketing.
106 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Frightening In Its Timing
Kashmirgrey24 October 2009
We are warned that the rules are simple: 1. Avoid populated areas at all costs. 2. If you come in contact with other people, assume they have it. 3. The virus can survive on surfaces up to 24 hours so never touch anything that is not disinfected. 4. The sick are already dead and they cannot be saved. Easy enough, huh?

A deadly avian flu pandemic has swept across the country leaving a multitude of bodies in its wake. Two bothers, Danny and Brian, along with their female companions, Bobby and Kate, are making a beeline across country to the west coast where they hope to find solace from a world in rotting decay. It's along the way, however, that they are confronted with their worst horrors: making moral choices in a world void of conscience.

If loving your loved ones meant cracking the seal and becoming vulnerable to a diseased death, could you do it or would you opt for life and cast those you hold dear aside? At first take, the question seems like a no-brainer, however Carriers complicates the question in an uncomfortable manner. It's a game of fetch and flinch in a dog eat dog world.

An unnerving and powerful film, Carriers is not legendary, but it does leave a nasty bite... That is, if you begin to dwell too long on its suggestions. It is timely in its sting, what with H1N1 and bird flu and evils scarcely whispered behind closed doors away from the prying lick of government ears. My only major complaint is its rather relatively short length. I wish it would have "digressed" deeper.
60 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How do you survive when there's no one around?
moviesleuth24 January 2010
Despite its premise, "Carriers" is not a zombie movie (there is a hint that this may be a possible outcome of the unspecified disease, but it's quickly dropped). It's not even a horror movie. There are a few tense moments, but overall, the film is a tragedy.

Four young people are traveling together after most of humanity is wiped out after an unexplained outbreak of a fatal, and highly contagious disease: Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci), a would-be Yale student, if it weren't for the epidemic, his brother Brian (Chris Pine), who's a self-proclaimed jerk, Brian's girlfriend, Bobby (Piper Perabo), and another friend, Kate (Emily VanCamp). They're all trying to get to the beach where Danny and Brian vacationed together as kids. To do that, they're following three of Brian's rules: The infected are already dead, and they can't be helped. Always wear a mask around the infected. Wipe anything down that the infected have touched within the last 24 hours.

"Carriers" is interesting because it explores something that movies of this ilk leave as an afterthought: how would you function when society has completely vanished? No government, no jobs, no politics? The only rule here is to survive at any cost. It's an interesting question, and film-making brothers Alex and David Pastor pose a few interesting conclusions.

The acting is solid, although the characters are only as interesting as the actors who play them. Chris Pine is making a name for himself as the guy who's a complete dick on the surface, but with a heart underneath. Think the beginning of his performance in "Star Trek" taken to the next level. Lou Taylor Pucci, who burst onto the indie film circuit with his performance in "Thumbsucker" (unseen by me), is also good as the brother who is straddling the line between compassion and selfish survival. Piper Pearabo is good as Bobby, whose compassion for others can get her into trouble. Unfortunately, Emily VanCamp, who was terrific in "Black Irish," doesn't have much to do. Special note has to go to Christopher Meloni, who manages to tug the heart as the father of a sick little girl, and his daughter is adorable as well.

The problem with this film is I wanted more. I wanted to see more of the little things that people would do without any rules. The film is a very short 87 minutes, so it had some time to spare. This would allow for some character development, which would make this a lot more effective.

It's a movie to watch if it's on TV, or if you're interested in exploring a situation, not a zombie movie.
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good, but somewhat slow Horror-Drama-Mix
Andreas Huettner1 September 2009
I just left the screening of "Carriers". It was the opening Movie on this years Fantasy Film Fest. At least here in Munich. Well, my first reaction to this film was something like "Wow... this where long 90 Minutes". Most of the other crowd thought the same and their comments where quite similar to mine. Meaning: Good, but a bit slow.

This Movie needs a little tightening to speed it up a little bit. It does a lot of things right! The characters are worked out properly, the camera-work is top notch and the acting is very good. But sometimes there are scenes, that last too long. You know where the Directors want to go, you know how the scene will play out in the end, but it still goes on and on and on... So again: a little trimming would do the film good!

Well, and then there is this whole "Wrong Marketing"-Thing. At least here in Germany they try to sell this movie as a Horror-Movie. That's just wrong. Sure, there are the classic Horror-Elements, but overall "Carriers" is a strong, heavy Drama. There is virtually NO Action and even less gore in it. Instead there are long dialogs, dramatic events and more dialogs. That's fine with me, but it makes the movie hard to find it's audience. The GoreHounds will be disappointed by the lack of blood and guts and the Drama-Fans will be pushed away by the apocalyptic Elements...

So. Once again: "Carriers" has great potential but is a little bit to slow and to heavy on the drama to pass as a great movie.
81 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Easily One of the Best of the Summer
beckwith107 September 2009
Haven't been to many movies this summer, however, I caught Carriers this afternoon, playing to a near empty theater, and was very glad I saw it. The film deserves an audience. The themes - an end of the world plague that leaves 4 young survivors traveling the empty backroads of the US - may not be exactly be new, but it's done with exceptional style that elevates the film beyond standard issue horror. Eschewing gratuitous effects or overblown shock value, Carriers tells its story and builds strong suspense with fine pacing and some terrific ensemble acting. There's no big budget here, but the filmmakers have done wonders in creating a post-plague world eradicated of all but a few remaining inhabitants; those remaining cling to one another while fearing abandonment should they become infected. Human bonds are even more tenuous than life itself. The filmmakers explore fear here in a compelling, genuinely human - at times, even poetic - manner. Hope people see this.
105 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very slow horror movie
kosmasp29 October 2009
But still very good. Chris Pine (you might have seen him in a little movie called "Star Trek" by J.J. Abrams) & Piper Perabo star in a very low key Horror movie, that doesn't even try to make you believe it has any big action scenes in it. It's more about the characters and how they react to certain situations.

Quite a few people were appalled by the fact, that there is not that much happening in the movie, but I liked it, because it was slow moving, because it took it's sweet time. Another criticism is that the movie is predictable. Again it's not so much about where it's going, but how it gets there (the "road" so to speak, even literally in this case).
53 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Small little thriller is a nice find.
dbborroughs28 October 2009
Two brothers and two girls are traveling across country trying to avoid those who are infected with a horrible disease. The disease has killed most of the population. They are doing okay until they run across a father and his infected daughter, who are looking to get to a government clinic with a serum that promises a cure. The two groups are forced through circumstances to hook up and the journey changes their outlooks on the situation. It also marks the beginning of events moving out of everyone's control (or at least the realization that things are not in their control).

Small scale film is a nice compliment to films like 28 Days Later or even the recent zombie cycle, though there are no walking dead or crazed cannibals here. It's a dark horror tale more about the horrors of life then of monsters and madmen. How would we react to a situation like this? This might be an indication of what we might do. I like that the film doesn't full tell us everything that happened before. Things are not overly explained. We're given enough to work things out for ourselves and its more frightening that way. Its not a perfect film, but it is compelling and tense. It's a good enough film to make me wonder why this film hasn't gotten a big release. Perhaps the lack of monsters and its reasonably realistic (and bleak) nature have made it a film the studio doesn't know how to market. I really like this film, it's a nice find. Recommended.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just as it begins to 'carry' you away, the credits roll...
the_rattlesnake2518 December 2009
The key, unequivocal problem with the Pastor Brothers film 'Carriers' is that it just doesn't go anywhere: it begins, eighty minutes go by, and then the credits roll. The narrative just trudges along from start to finish without further challenging the audience or without placing further emphasis on the dramatic choices at hand. Which is disappointing as this film had a lot of unearthed potential that would have certainly set it apart from simply being 'just another zombie/pandemic' film. Instead, it is unfortunately, just another viral pandemic flick.

Brian (Chris Pine), his brother Danny (Lou Pucci) and their two female friends Bobby (Piper Perabo) and Kate (Emily VanCamp) are your four typical just-out-of-college kids who are on the road to nowhere, literally. After a viral outbreak incapacitates almost the entire population of the United States and potentially the world, they decide to hit the road and hopefully find somewhere to stay or somebody to engage with who is free of the virus.

'Carriers' would be more aptly placed in the drama genre than the horror or thriller section of the local video store as nothing as note actually takes place in regards to the latter genres. There are maybe two or three scenes ranging from two to three minutes in length which contain some suspenseful elements, however the rest of the film is rather conventional. Even regarding the lack of blood and on screen violence, after all, the central on screen element is the deteriorating relationships between the characters.

When the teens encounter Frank (Christopher Meloni) and his infected, young daughter Jodie (Kiernan Shipka) in the middle of a desolate stretch of road just waiting for somebody to "lend them some fuel," the first of a few moralistic situations are shoved towards the audience. Would you leave them? Would you help them? The crux of 'Carriers' is based around one simple principle; don't help anybody infected, not matter how young or how vulnerable they are and YOU will stay alive. And it's how the characters engage with these various situations which they encounter along their journey, and this manages to breathe a little life into this heavily deflated film.

Chris Pine, pre Star Trek, gives a brilliant performance as the brother who has had the emotional consciousness beaten out of him throughout the pandemic to the point the where the survival of himself and his younger brother is the only objective. While Lou Pucci, who portrays Brian's younger brother Danny, also pulls out an equally inspiring performance as the younger brother who is constantly fighting with his conscience with regards to the tough decisions that Brian has to make.

If Alex and David Pastor were given the opportunity to go back and shoot around thirty-to-forty minutes worth of extra footage, then 'Carriers' would have the potential to be a very good film. Instead, however, we are left with a film so short in length that once we have just connected and engaged with the characters and their desperate situations the credits begin to roll and the lights come up leaving you feeling incredibly empty inside and asking one brief question; "Is that it?"
47 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wait a minute...it's not a zombie flick...
Chrysanthepop25 April 2011
It's no zombie flick. Unlike most virus flicks, 'Carrier' focuses on the emotional and psychological aspect of the survivors especially their struggle when they have to leave one of their own behind (or even commit the act of taking their life) in order to ensure their own survival and the despair of the soon-to-be-deceased after they have been abandoned on their own to die a slow painful death. Yes, there are a few jump sequences and a few clichéd 'horror' scenes where the infected scare and chase the survivors. In my opinion, most of these sequences weren't even necessary. Yet, the writing is mostly good and the atmosphere is well-created (even though nothing outstanding). The cinematography too is adequate. The two female leads lacked character development. Even so, Piper Perabo manages to somewhat rise above, especially in her final sequences and Emily VanCamp fails to impress. Chris Pine is quite irritating while Lou Taylor Pucci carries the movie. Christopher Meloni does a brilliant job in a supporting role. 'Carriers' is quite a change from the traditional zombie flick and even though it doesn't match up to 'The Road', it's a decent effort.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One HELL of an Emotional Trip
ProtoGiraffe27 November 2009
Carriers, Wasn't sure about it, We got it in At work and I decided to Rent it out and try it, Wow. I was Shocked. For a "No nothing" film, It was actually very very good. Not what You'd except seeing as how it was advertised as "Horror".

Believe you me, It was anything BUT scary. Sure they tried to pull it off with some "jump" scenes but nothing really horrible, Really this movie was So emotional, So powerful, About the power of friendship and Family. It made me tear up from time to time, you just felt so ...bad for them and there situation. Really I would check it out, It is worth the watch.
52 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Horror Drama but not for everyone
billsorensen381 September 2009
I saw this at the opening of Fantasy Filmfest and was totally surprised. Although I was expecting a typical zombie virus movie, this turned out to be a much more character driven story. The horror came not from blood, gore, or undead...but from the living. What the living characters in the film were willing to do to survive...to others and to themselves was chilling. I found it incredibly disturbing, suspenseful, and even touching. However, my friend fell asleep in it..so, it's really not for everyone. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy their horror a bit more subtle and intelligent. I really wanted to talk about it afterwards,to discuss what I might do in this situation but as I said my friend missed most of it...so I posted on IMDb instead.
29 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The story of a jerk
upsilon4828 November 2009
(SPOILER) Although, the film sells itself as something entirely different - the story of a group of people trying to survive in the aftermath of a devastating catastrophe, Carriers is really the story of a jerk. A jerk named Brian. Sure, here and there we are reminded that there has been a devastating catastrophe but this fact is entirely overwhelmed by a far more unpleasant fact - that there is a huge jerk called Brian who has not been devastated or even affected in anyway by the aforementioned catastrophe. The catastrophe, a virulent and highly contagious disease is actually of no consequence. For Brian is such a jerk that it might as well have been a giant asteroid strike, an enormous tsunami or hordes of giant cockroaches. It would have made no difference to Brian who is without doubt in the top ten of cinema's all time irritating on screen jerks. Brian talks like a jerk. Brian acts like jerk and in fact, Brian IS a jerk.

This film is no thriller. This film is actually a mystery and the mystery is - why make a film about a complete jerk called Brian? After 10 minutes, of watching you'll be thinking, 'Goddamn it, I can't wait 'til that jerk called Brian gets killed and we can get on with the movie. That guy Brian has GOT to die real soon, it's obvious, the director wants us to hate him, he's so irritating, he's just a minor character and he'll be out of the way any second'. But no. And here's the only thing actually scary about the movie - Brian doesn't die until the last 2 minutes! Yeah, that's right! Unbelievably, Brian is THE main character. The movie is ALL about Brian the jerk.

So to summarise - if you've ever wanted to see a movie about a one dimensional, monosyllabic, irritating, pain in the ass, non-stop jerk called Brian then, Carriers is the movie for you.
25 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a horror film???
weasl-729-3106822 August 2016
Warning, Spoilers ahead! Please don't read this if you haven't enjoyed the film yet.

Several reviewers have said this is not a horror flick, but I have to disagree strongly.

Leaving a good man and his sick daughter behind because she had to pee? Shooting a couple old ladies because they wouldn't give you their gas because they were just trying to survive too? Kicking your own infected girlfriend out on the side of the road to almost certain death? Mind, she became infected because of overwhelming compassion for a sick child. Then, if that is not enough, the younger brother character (Danny) must ultimately shoot his, admittedly repellent older brother character (Brian). And all of these terrible acts are committed by normally law- abiding people who would not dream of doing anything close unless their very lives depended on it?

I imagined myself in the situation with my own little brother. How much horror do you people want? This film delivers a boatload if you can drum up a modicum of empathy.

That said, it is certainly more of a thinking person's movie than your average slasher fan's.
good thrilller!
deatman927 July 2011
I thought this movie was a pretty good thriller. It had loads of riveting scenes and some decent acting considering they made it with not a very high budget.

This movie is about four friends who are trying to survive this pandemic outbreak. Most of the worlds population has died of disease and they are doing their best to survive the coming apocalypse. As the movie progresses they have to come to terms with doing things to survive they may not do normally.

This is a great tale of humanity and what would happen to mankind if you take away society. This movie is not so much about the infection as it is about how the infection affects the people and the way they act towards others.

This is a good movie, i only say good because it could have used a bit more action though i did not find it boring in the slightest. If you like a good thriller with some very intense scenes then this one is for you.
Straight to DVD "Pandemic Genre" film that is worth checking out
KineticSeoul19 April 2010
The main reason I decided to rent this straight to DVD movie, is because it had Chris Pine in it, who was recently in the new "Star Trek" movie which was actually pretty good. Plus I was just in the mood to watch a horror film, and I wasn't disappointed. Although there isn't much of the horror elements what it does offer is some good drama amongst the survivor and has a lot to do with humanity in it, in fact this film reminded me of films such as "The Road" except not as good. But still pretty darn good for a straight to DVD movie, me and my brother started watching it late at night and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the survivors making really dumb decisions which can get a bit annoying, but since this is suppose to be a horror movie it is somewhat forgivable. Plus the plot is alright, the acting is well done, and the cinematography is very good for a straight to DVD release. Although it felt a bit short though and felt there should have been a bit more, it's still a satisfying "Pandemic Genre" movie to check out, especially for a straight to DVD.

7.4/10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could have been something, but wasn't
fung05 December 2009
There's a good movie lurking here, but this isn't it. The basic idea is good: to explore the moral issues that would face a group of young survivors of the apocalypse. But the logic is so muddled that it's impossible to get involved.

For example, our four heroes are (understandably) paranoid about catching the mysterious airborne contagion that's wiped out virtually all of mankind. Yet they wear surgical masks some times, not others. Some times they're fanatical about wiping down with bleach any area touched by an infected person. Other times, they seem completely unconcerned.

Worse, after apparently surviving some weeks or months in this new kill-or-be-killed world, these people constantly behave like total newbs. They don't bother accumulating proper equipment, or food. They're forever running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. They don't take elementary precautions when meeting strangers. And after wading through the rotting corpses of the entire human race, they're as squeamish as sheltered debutantes. You have to constantly wonder how they could have survived this long... and even if they did, why anyone would want to make a movie about them.

So when these dweebs stop to agonize over the moral dimensions of their actions, it's impossible to take their soul-searching seriously. Their actions would first have to make some kind of minimal sense.

On top of all this, we must contend with the dubious acting abilities of Chris Pine. His portrayal of an arrogant young James T Kirk might have seemed shrewd, when viewed in isolation. But in Carriers he plays on exactly that same note: arrogant and boneheaded. It's impossible not to suspect that this constitutes his entire dramatic range.

On the positive side, the film *looks* excellent. It's got an over-sharp, saturated look that really suits the southwestern US locale. But that can't save the truly feeble writing nor the paper-thin (and annoying) characters. Even if you're a fan of the end-of-the-world genre, you should save yourself the agony of watching Carriers.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Virus strain storyline overdone?
thekyles991 June 2010
Watched this one on a whim and also cause i wanted to see something else Chris Pine (young capt kirk) did. He is a pretty good actor and i look forward to seeing more of him in the future. This movie is surprisingly very good! However just be forewarned its another virus strain infection storyline that i think is being overdone as of late. U want to see a good virus strain movie be sure to catch either 28 days later or its sequel 28 weeks later. Like i said earlier this is a well acted and often suspenseful movie about 4 young people just trying to survive a serious viral outbreak and get to the ocean where they aren't certain is clean but its where the two brothers grew up and would be a nice place to end if it comes to that.A good watch!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another "Deadly Virus Genre" Movie
Claudio Carvalho14 May 2010
In a world devastated by an outbreak, Brian (Chris Pine), his girlfriend Bobby (Piper Perabo), his brother Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci) and their friend Kate (Emily VanCamp) are heading to a beach where the brothers spent vacations in their childhood and they expect to be a sanctuary. When their car breaks on the road in the desert, they negotiate with a man called Frank (Christopher Meloni) that run out of gas while driving his infected daughter Jodie (Kiernan Shipka) to the hospital and they travel together. Along the journey, Bobby tries to help Jodie but is contaminated by her blood; however, she does not disclose the truth to Brian and her friends. Further, they lose their humanity in their fight for survive.

"Carriers" is another "deadly virus genre" movie that uses the same premise of dozens of films and maybe the greatest difference is that there are no zombies in the plot. The beginning of the dramatic and hopeless story is not well-developed and does not explain the origins of the outbreak. The plot is indeed about the lost of humanity by the survivors, and in this regard the film is bitter and gives absolutely no hope to the human race. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Virus" ("Virus")
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I saw the screener and was on the edge of my seat!
emjipson29 April 2007
Every now and then you see a movie that has so many elements that you keep thinking and talking about it. I saw the screener for Carriers and can't get it out of my mind. It has suspense, drama, strong character relationships, and a theme that keeps you thinking.... "what would you do?". I don't want to spoil it, but this film makes you wonder what would happen to real people (not scientists, politicians, etc...) if we were hit with a pandemic like the bird flu - there is no black and white clear answer. Go see it when it comes out (and I hope that is soon, I want to see it again!) - if you are looking for a thriller, this is it. If you are looking for a drama, this is it too.
57 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best horror movie this year, go see it now!
Barshki15 September 2009
It sounds like nothing too special and it's only PG-13 but this movie is brutal. The acting is great, usually in a horror movie about young people dying the actors just terrible, but these actors, both major and minor, are fantastic. It's more than just "look scared!" "act cocky!" "act snooty!" Everyone has a real human range of emotion, this movie will break your heart at least a couple of times. It dares to stare in to the souls of the victims and the actors pull it off great. Of course having great dialog helps too.

The writing and story are very well thought out. This movie has a lot to say about being human. Make no mistake that it is bleak and it is terrifying. I felt real danger and tragedy in their situations. Sure it's PG-13 and lacks the horror of mutilated corpses and whatnot, but it's doesn't need it, it is scary enough on its own. It could have very easily gone the zombie route as far as the infected go but that would have castrated the emotions of the story. It's also partially a Body Horror movie, since it's about a virus that can take a few days to show up in its victim and is airborne. It analyzes the terror of wondering if you're infected, constantly searching your body for signs and being afraid of not only other people, but of yourself and what you can do to your friends. It also explores what inhuman lengths people will go to preserve their survival. It's not about the death of humankind, it's about the death of humanity.

This movie scared me and made me very uncomfortable but I think it only works if you really let it put its hooks in to you. It's not the greatest movie ever but it deserves so much more recognition than it's receiving right now.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE IN THE THEATER WHILE YOU STILL CAN!
44 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A different take on Apocalyptic Horror
lovecraft2318 December 2009
Like most horror nerds, I have an aversion towards horror that's PG-13. It's usually either an unremarkable remake ("The Ring" being a prime exception to the rule) or dull teen centered horror. Few people seem to realize what can be done with a PG-13 horror movie. Well fortunately, "Carriers" manages to be an exception to the rule of PG-13 horror sucking.

The film deals with two men and two women-Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci), his brother Brian (Chris Pine), Kate (Emily Van Camp) and Bobby (the usually likable Piper Perabo)-who are all headed to the beach. Well, there is a problem though: a deadly, incurable virus has wiped most of humanity out. As they try to make it in time, they are forced with tough decisions that test them mentally and physically. As the film continues, it becomes more hopeless, and our protagonists soon realize the only thing that may be worse than the epidemic is themselves. Plus, Brian's behavior doesn't help matters either.

Sounds like a zombie flick, doesn't it? Well hold your horses Sherlock, because that's not what you get here. That's right, this isn't another apocalyptic zombie flick-there are no zombies to be found here. What it is though is a smart blend of horror and human drama about loss-the loss of friendship, the loss of life, the loss of family, the loss of the human race and the loss of one's humanity. Fortunately, the filmmakers responsible know how to work this within the PG-13 rating, making it a movie that stands heads and shoulders above much of it's similarly rated ilk. The acting is mostly good, with Pine doing a great job of making Brian both an complete a$$h@le and a somewhat sympathetic man forced into extreme circumstances, and Perabo and Van Camp doing great jobs with their roles. Chris Meloni also shows up, adding to the moral fiber and quandary the film has.

And the moral fabric is what makes the movie work the most. This isn't a movie of huge action scenes and apocalyptic grandeur. This is a movie about human reaction to dire times. What would one do in a world mostly robbed of humanity-both people and what makes them human? It's a slow horror flick, but one that's more about the journey than it is action. There are a few flaws-Pucci is a bit weak as Danny, and a few shots and directorial choices reek too much of obvious symbolism.

That out of the way, this is a mostly great take on the plague movie that focuses more of human drama than it does "gotcha" moments. It's a shame Paramount barely released it in theaters-it's a movie that will probably disappoint those hoping for a zombie flick, but those wanting something different should check it out-it could very well become a cult favorite on DVD. It sure does deserve it.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thrilling film about mysterious epidemic spreads across the planet , being well directed by Spanish filmmakers David and Alex Pastor
ma-cortes16 August 2013
Intrigue, intense drama , action and suspense film about a deadly and rapacious virus spread by means of infection and contagion . This interesting film is set a few years from now, a dangerous, desolate world of the future where a virus outbreaks , annihilates population and there rules the strongest law . As four friends fleeing a viral pandemic soon learn they are more dangerous than any virus . They are : Brian (Chris Pine) , his girlfriend Bobby (Piper Perabo) , his brother Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci) and their friend, Kate (Emily VanCamp) . Their rules are simple , you break them, you die ... They take extreme necessary measures to stop the rapacious epidemic . When their car breaks down on the road and stranded in desert they agree a covenant with a man named Frank (Christopher Meloni) who carries his ill little daughter (Shipka) . The virus expands rapidly and they look for a doctor (Mark Moses) who has found a healing potion .

Suspense thriller that deals with an intense drama , a special relationship among two brothers and intrigue about a deadly virus is spread by contagion . The pictures results to be a metaphor for AIDS panic in the same way that 50s extraterrestrial films mirrored fears of Red Menace . Nice performance for a promising all-star-cast as Chris Pine , future ¨Star Trek's captain Kirk¨ , Piper Perabo of ¨Covert affairs¨ , Emily VanCamp of ¨Revenge¨ and Christopher Meloni of ¨Law and order¨. Colorful and appropriate cinematography by Benoît Debie . Stirring and adequate musical score by Peter Nashel . Good direction by Pastor Brothers who do have its thrilling moments , most of them in the first half , though the second half being mostly dramatic and tragic . The motion picture was compellingly realized by David and Alex Pastor . They offer us an intelligent flick of the apocalyptic world movie, intimate and committed . This one resulted to be their first film and David and Alex Pastor Brothers have directed in 2013 ,¨The Last days¨ , with Quim Gutierrez , Jose Coronado , Marta Etura ; also dealing with a strange virus in which humanity develops an irrational fear of open that causes instant death , as the world population is trapped inside buildings and Barcelona descends into chaos . ¨Carriers¨ rating : Better than average . Well worth watching .
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Almost completely the wrong way to start a film
MBunge5 June 2012
Most films, especially genre pictures like horror or suspense, are initially strong and then fade a bit as they go along. Pretty much every aspiring screenwriter and director gets hammered into them the importance of grabbing the audience right away, though few are capable of sustaining that attraction through an entire story. Carriers is the exact opposite. This thing actually gets a bit better as it goes along. Unfortunately, it has one of the weakest and most dramatically ill-conceived beginnings I've ever seen. This movie opens up by completely emasculating its own premise and spends the rest of its time on screen struggling to overcome that crippling mistake. And since this is a PG-13 horror/suspense flick, it doesn't have nearly the amount of violence, nudity and other provocative material to get the job done.

The plot concerns a quartet of young people driving through the country in the wake of a disease outbreak that has all but destroyed civilization. Brian and Danny (Chris Pike and Lou Taylor Pucci) are brothers. Brian is the older bro and is sort of the high school jock a few years after graduation who hasn't quite realized his best days are behind him. Danny is the younger, smarter brother who's always played second fiddle to his more assertive sibling. They're joined by Brian's girlfriend Bobbi (Piper Perabo) and Kate (Emily VanCamp), a girl who knows Danny but the two of them are not together. They're traveling to a beachside hotel Brian and Danny's family visited in the past, now long abandoned, and hope to set up camp there and stay alive until the outbreak ends. As you might expect, they run into other folks along the way that complicate those plans and find that avoiding infection is harder than they thought.

Now, I want to emphasize that Carriers is not a bad little film when taken as a whole. It's fairly clichéd but those clichés are well utilized and it throws a few new wrinkles into the mix. For example, Brian and company live by a set of rules. Avoid the infected, disinfect anything they've touched and you can't save the sick because they're already dead. They wear surgical masks and rubber gloves and always have bleach at the ready. Then they encounter another band of survivors who've taken it to the extreme of always wearing full-on gas masks and home made haz-mat suit and it's interesting to compare and contrast the level of fear and social disintegration between the two groups. Chris Pine and Christopher Meloni, as the father of an infected girl, also do very good work conveying the inner struggle of what it's like to be the guy who has to try and keep it all together when the world is falling apart.

I'm not sure any of that ultimately matters because Carriers comes damn close to ruining itself within the first 15 minutes. Brian and company encounter the aforementioned father and infected girl on the road. To that point, the audience hasn't seen any bodies or heard any terrible stories of the outbreak. This is the moment in the story where the amount of physical danger is supposed to be established and, by extension, the level or moral and ethical pressure facing all these characters. This is the scene that sets the stakes and asks the audience to consider what they would do in such dire circumstances. So, what do Brian and company do with the father and his infected daughter? They let them hitch a ride in the back of an SUV with only a thin layer of plastic and duct tape separating Brian, Danny, Bobbi and Kate from certain death.

Really? Millions, possibly billions of people are dead from disease that's very easy to catch and is 100% lethal. The crisis is so severe that basic government functions have ceased and the world has become a jungle of all against all. And in that situation, rather than take more conclusive action to protect yourself, you rely on a plastic sheeting and duct tape, risking miserable death just to be kind to a couple of strangers. Really?

I'm sure writer/directors Alex and David Pastor could provide a reason for why they started their movie like that and how it fits into the rest of the plot, but it doesn't matter what they intended. What they did, in fact, was to fatally undermine and defang the threat that is at the core of their story. Instead of the disease being a civilization-ending catastrophe, it's presented to the viewer as a bad case of measles or the mumps. It's something you don't want to get but nothing so virulent that it justifies extreme action to protect yourself. Even if you don't want to crank the Drama-o-meter up to 11 right away and leave yourself nowhere to go after that, you also can't turn it all the way down to zero and leave the audience wondering what the big deal is supposed to be. The rest of Carriers does an okay job of trying to crawl out from under such a glaring and massive error. I'm not sure anyone who watches is going to care.

Without such disastrous storytelling at the opening, I would have said this film was worth watching. However, the rest of it isn't good enough that I can honestly recommend something with such a self-negating start.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Spoilers, but heed this warning.
Tom Orrock17 February 2010
Do not be mistaken, this is neither a horror, nor really a film. I firmly advise against watching this 82 minute failure; the only reason it merited a star was the presence of Chris Pine.

Nothing happens. You wait patiently in the hope that there may be a flicker of a twist, a hint of surprise, a plot to emerge - but no.

The characters take erratic turns of pace in their actions and yet don't have the time to develop - thanks to the thrifty editors and frankly ashamed writers - before returning to an idyllic and playful (bring on the teen rock montage) state. The only thing that could have made it worse would be adding the perishable token ethnic 'companion'.

Their encounters with obstacles (be they human or physical) are brief, confusing and entirely pointless.

Chris Pine fights to keep himself above the surface whilst being drowned by a misery of a lightweight cast. Lou Taylor Pucci couldn't be dryer if he spent the summer with Keanu Reaves combing the Navada desert.

Watch 'The Road', watch '28 days Later', watch day time TV...anything but this; I implore you. Suffer the boredom, unlike you may be led to believe in the film, this film is no cure.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this