The Witches (2020) Poster

(2020)

What a piece of garbage
rikard_alvestad23 October 2020
What the F... is Going on? Im a norwegian, and one of the best things about the original, is that the beginning is set in norway. Bergen. The story about the girl in the painting. Dahl had norwegian parents, so i really love the beginning of the original.

Why do the keep making terrible remakes of really good movies? The make up in the original is far surperior to the terrible CGI in this movie. If you check out the drawings in the book, the Grand witch is way off in this movie. The CGI is more like the Scorpion King.

That someone in the comments gave this movie 7-10 is just nuts. So incredible bad
421 out of 575 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WHY? WHY? WHY!
sueziq24 October 2020
I just don't get it??? Why do producers think it's a good idea to re-make an already fabulous movie????? WHY???? Why not remake a movie that should have been good and wasn't!?
186 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anne Hathaway is not the only one killing this movie
treborquest28 October 2020
The Grand High Witch is killing it. but seriously, she's terrible. From the start on, with the weird Chris Rock voice-over, this remake goes wrong wherever it can wrong. The acting is stiff, the focus is hardly on all the other witches, the CGI is not good. Even the housekeeping cart seems to come from the CGI box. Positive thing: Octavia Spencer is doing her best to be a genuine grandmother, and she succeeds, but that's about it. OK, yes, I am a fan of the 1990 movie. Even though it wasn't as close to the original story, I really can't believe Roald Dahl would recognize his book in this mess. The first movie was gorgeous in it's authenticity. It has folklore, it has an edge, it has a heart. This is Hollywood factory work and seems to want to be much more than it can deliver. It made me miss much more than the purple glow in the witches eyes. It made me want to just throw up like a witch who smells children. I'm not saying you shouldn't watch it. I am sure that an entire generation who never grew up with the original will disagree, but to me, this is like cursing in a church. It's horrible.
138 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why even bother
johnnynotty22 October 2020
Total tripe from start to finish. The only one good thing about this movie is Anne. The CGI is shockingly bad and cartoonish. A British story set in Britain that's been Americanised and therefore completely ruined. Hideous doesn't even come close to describe this movie.
302 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anne Hathaway should never do accents
roxannajlc23 October 2020
This was horrible I can't believe they would remake this amazing classic and cast Anne Hathaway at the grand high which. No offense to her she's an OK actress but this was not a role for her. This was Anjelica Huston's part it's like could you imagine anyone else playing Morticia Addams? And also no offense to Chris rock but the narration was no Bueno
170 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The remake does not exist
brooklynblax22 October 2020
The remake has no story line, no emotional connections to the characters. Nothing compared to the original and yes you should be comparing. The only good actress in this film is Anne Hathaway who did alright. The director should be ashamed. What a waste of money and talent. I'm going to go have some Cress soup and enjoy the rest of my night watching the original version. More talent in just the pinky of that movie.
302 out of 435 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another remake nobody asked for
jcorbancm23 October 2020
I love Octavia and Anne, but this movie seems like it was rushed and that they were just phoning it in.

To begin with, the original is a cult classic, so how dare you mess up with it. Then, if you are gonna do it, well, do it well. They were clearly going for a kids friendly movie but I mean, this story is creepy. The mouse animation takes you away from it, specially coming from Henson's animatronics. The Great Witch reveal is underwhelming, and the changes/additions to the story don't serve it. It just doesn't adds up.

It pains me that Cuaron and Del Toro are attached to this project as producers. Zemeckis seems to be going in decline and it just sucks. Dahl's fans may be happier with this ending, but with all the other changes I dunno how they can be happy with the movie in general.
163 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shameful - straight from the opening scene; you could tell it was going to be dreadful!
laplayaponiente23 October 2020
There is going to be a lot of unemployed actors in Hollywood, very soon.

Is there anyone left who understands the public mood?
182 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everybody Hates the Witches remake !
marshcady22 October 2020
This re-make of the witches is very short and very simplified from the original adaptation of the film. The cast doesn't seem entirely engaged in their roles. Too much auto-tone and CGI used here to the point that it's not as effective as one might hope it to be. Very bland sets and much smaller scale compared to the original version. Ultimately, this is just another bland Hollywood low budget re-make film.
256 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BLAH!
artistcrazy22 October 2020
This whole movie is a mess! The cast all seem very dis-interested in their roles. The plot is a shot by shot re-make of the original and overall, I don't feel like there is any spirit or enthusiasm in this project at all! Don't recommend at all! Skip it and watch the original more engaging version of the film!
226 out of 335 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Medicority wrapped up with terrible CGI.
dvergaserdir8223 October 2020
Anne Hathaway can't hold a candle to Angelica Houston and neither can the rest of cast against their 1990 counter parts. Zemekis's direction is bland and unimaginative. Avoid.
148 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash
designxcentric22 October 2020
Worst remake so far. Don't waste yours or you kids time. Just watch the original
172 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely Pointless
Golden_Hope29 November 2020
This was one of the most pointless remakes i have ever seen. It just takes away from the original and that is not what you want when you are making a remake.

Like i was looking forward to seeing the hotel in this film. The original hotel was so iconic to me, it just really stuck with me and when i watched it was like like i really want to go to this fabulous hotel on the cost in the UK. This hotel looked so bad, i honestly think it was CGI. It looked fake, like all the exterior shots looked like it was a CGI hotel.

Speaking of CGI, there is so much in this film and it just looks stupid. They lean so heavy on it. The original uses make up and animatronics so well and it just works to make the film seem more rooted in our word and just more pleasing to look at. I also think it is incredibly lazy to just CGI. That word pretty much sums up this movie.

The acting was fine apart from Anne who was chewing up the scenery like it was going out of fashion. She was the best part of the move i guess. Well her costumes were to be honest. But they even used CGI in her costumes!! It was infuriating. Her accent was absolutely horrible tho. She should have just used her normal accent.

I would say you could defiantly skip this one. Just watch the original.
61 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NOT EVEN A MOVIE... JUST ANOTHER BIG COMMERCIAL!
saralittle-0291222 October 2020
What they end up doing in this movie makes the film less of a movie and more of a commercial for something stupid , if you see the film you will know what I'm talking about. It was cute and fun. But NOT at all a good movie nor a classic. It's barely considered a movie. Not sure what audience this movie would even appeal to. I would skip this and either read the book or watch the original movie instead. Not worth the time!!
192 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Useless
phosk-9997825 October 2020
The original was better. They should of just left this movie alone all together
96 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch something else. ANYTHING ELSE.
saradisc24 October 2020
Some 80s and 90s family movies look incredibly cheesy and bad compared to modern releases... Well, now we have the opposite! The 90s adaptation is a masterpiece compared to this. It's incredible how many talented people worked on this mess. The cringiest thing about it is Anne Hathaway's accent, which jumps from Russian to German to Swedish, and it's never funny because she's trying too hard. There are many other talking animal movies that your children will enjoy, spare them, and don't succumb to the voice in your head asking "how bad can it be?". IT'S REALLY BAD.
83 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everybody hates chris meats the witches
hawkedriot-122 October 2020
Terrible. The witches are pathetic, the original had over twice the amount in the hotel. Anne Hathaway WISHES she has the poise, energy and even the accent.
189 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bland and boring re-make!
dahlroald-8903623 October 2020
Nothing new nor exciting here at all! Makes sense why it's free to watch with hbo max subscription! Terrible re-make of a classic! Don't even waste your time!! BOO!
123 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another remake, another pile of garbage
jonasatmosfera22 October 2020
Well, it seems any of these days someone in the Louvre Museum will paint Mona Lisa's face....Michelangelo's Davis will wake up missing a part of its anatomy... I have the impression that any of these days, people will start burning books, or that it will be acceptable to destroy any piece of art, literature and even scientific advances that does not conform to some form of acceptable collective thinking.

The funny thing is that these remakes are, without exception, unimaginative toothless messes when compared to the originals.

Can´t writers and directors come up with original ideas?
104 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?!
cnorfleetc22 October 2020
Again I ask...why?! Why God why?!?! These extra words are because my review is too short. How long does it need to be because there is nothing else to say about this basura. And just in case that is spanish for trash so if you do decide to watch it...you've been warned.
121 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The potential was there, but it never came through
letitring22 October 2020
So I wanted to like this and had some hopes for it, but it honestly fell pretty flat. I even thought that with actors like Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci and Anne Hathaway that it might be saved, and they were great in their roles as far as remaking/re-imagining movies go. But even with that, the grandmother is sort of a rehash of Spencer's character Minnie from The Help, Stanley Tucci hardly gets ANY screen time or character development, and Hathaway, while nailing so many of Angelica Houston's mannerisms, is still a bit overdone on her character. But also the remake lacks the character/story development, decent plot, dialogue and even the action and tense scenes from the original. And the transformation scenes (minus the one in the beginning which I thought was a good add) were extremely short with bad CGI. Overall, this was no improvement over the 1990 version, and not different enough to be all that good.
119 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG The CATS of 2020
awesome-413284 December 2020
Saw this yesterday and as much as I was warned it had poor reviews I thought there'd be some redeeming features.

The CGI is appalling and drags you out of the film into the wtf's. Even the 1977 version of Star Wars had better effects.

Then there's Anne Hathaway. Grand High Witch. The character needs to be a real villain who you fear, not a screechy wisp of a woman who looks like a female Joker.

I did not last beyond the first hour and I am certain it did not improve.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annoying
mhuseman-2025525 October 2020
Anne Hathaway is so annoying; her voice, her look, her acting...She is and never will be on Anjelica Houston's level. This is not a good kid movie. I don't see how anyone could find it entertaining. It's a waste of time because they're too busy filming anne singing and making weird faces - which to me would be scary for kids. The "conference" scene was too long and boring
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They ruined it! Why oh why?!
alimuzamil-4433623 October 2020
This was one of my favorite stories growing up. The old movie was not the best but good enough for the technology they had back then. I always dreamed of them remaking it! But lo and behold this was terrible. Everyones acting sucked and there was no good direction nor good effects. The cgi of the old film was actually better. Ahh they ruined it for me! Please don't pay to watch this movie.
82 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the grouches, it's just good fun!
benp-6983230 October 2020
An awful lot of grumpy reviewers here.. Yes it's animation is a bit Stuart little/cartoony, and Anne Hathaway's accent is all over Europe.. but as remakes go it's well thought out and just plain Dahl-esque magical fun!

I really enjoyed the 60's Deep South reimagining of where the story is set, and octavia spencer is always good as a sagely and wise older figure. The story is similar enough to be considered a remake, but the minor differences keep it interesting!

It's been given the Hollywood treatment for sure, so it's far glossier/more polished than the original, but having just watched them back to back, unless it's just nostalgia you're after, then that's no bad thing I promise.

Overall the quality of the story itself shines through, and if you just want to have some fun watching it then you will certainly do just that.

If you're looking to review it for Oscar-worthiness then maybe reassess your expectations, chill out and grab a drink. It's a fantasy film people. Let the fantasy breathe!
105 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.