Thor (2011) Poster

(2011)

The Mighty "Thor" God of Thunder must be worthy decent superhero film ©
rambofan4life24 September 2018
The origin story of The Mighty "Thor" is revealed of how Thor become a superhero and a team member of "Avengers" he was a stripped of his powers and banished to earth. I like the film it is a good film but is not my favorite MCU or my favorite origin film. It is a dark sci-fi fantasy about good VS evil and how arrogant and cruel god of Thunder becomes a good heart person.

Thor banished to Earth from Asgard, stripped of his powers and his hammer Mjölnir, after reigniting a dormant war. As his brother Loki plots to take the Asgardian throne, Thor must prove himself worthy. His brother Loki betrayed Thor lied to Thor that he's dad is dead while he was alive in a coma at sleep. Loki took the thron of Asgard and make sure that Thor never returns home. Now is up too Thor to get his power back and returning home to Asgard to stop Loki with help from his friends.

Directed by Kenneth Branagh and the script was witten by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne. Thor is a good origin movie decent, solid movie good performance from Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander and Clark Gregg. Music was by Patrick Doyle.

I like Superman The Movie more, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man and Ant-Man which are all origin story's that I enjoy it more. My favorite Marvel hero is Captain America. So I prefer Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Iron Man 1 and 3, The Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Punisher (2004) movie those are my favorite MARVEL films.

Clark Gregg is in this movie and he reprises his role as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson from the Iron Man movies and his performance in the movie is excellent. Here we first time see Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton Hawkeye with bow and arrow I wish we would have see more Renner's Clint Barton in the movie.

Chris Hemsworth is good and excellent as Thor the mighty god of thunder. I love Natalie Portman as Jane Foster a scientist who becomes love interest of Thor and she helps him out trough harsh times. Jane Foster is a sexy babe man Natalie Portman was so hot that time, I am in love with her. Stellan Skarsgård is great as Erik Selvig. Kat Dennings as Dracy Lewis is a babe and I love her so much. Jaimie Alexander as Sif is an excellent warrior great performance from the actress. I always enjoy Tom Hiddleston as Loki in "The Avengers" and in the sequel Thor: The Dark World. Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins are also In this movie.

I like how Thor comes to earth and he is strapped off his powers from his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and banished from his home Asgard. Thor has to get back his powers by getting his hammer back. I like the sequence in which Thor fights off 20 agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in which Thor jumps with his legs in a wrestling match and kicks the guard to the ground. I love the scene and the music in which Thor try's to lift his hammer but can't. I love that Jane asks Erik to bail Thor out. The fight scene in New Mexico Thor fights off Destroyer in the town and get's his power back excellent bad-ass scene. I like that Thor tried to get back things from Jane Foster that Phil Coulson from S.H.I.E.L.D. stole all Jane researches. I enjoy the romance and the love between Thor and Jane.

A good decent solid superhero flick I enjoy it and I like it, not a bad one for the first movie in the trilogy I like it a lot. 7/10 not bad, not bad at all ,good MCU superhero movie.
84 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very pleasant surprise
Argemaluco1 May 2011
The idea of a "classic" director like Kenneth Branagh making a superhero film might initially sound strange, but in the case of Thor that ended up being very appropriate, because the comic always used Shakespearean drama and archaic language to tell the story of the God of Thunder, the political/family conflicts in the Asgard kingdom and its interaction with the universe of Marvel Comics. And Branagh's competent direction, the excellent performances and the solid screenplay make Thor to be a very entertaining movie.

I honestly had always preferred the character of Thor in small doses or as part of an ensemble, like he was on the beginnings of the comic The Avengers and in its modern reinterpretation The Ultimates. So, I did not have big expectations on a movie exclusively focused in that character; however, Chris Hemsworth brings a brilliant performance in that role, because he could perfectly combine the pompous and operatic "classic" Thor with the dynamic and unstable modern Thor. I do not know how the purist fans of the Kirby/Lee era will take that mash-up, but I think it was a very good decision, specially because Thor does not only work as an origin of that superhero, but also as an efficient preamble of the highly anticipated film The Avengers, which will be an unification point of Marvel's film universe.

For example, we also have the character of Agent Coulson conducting scientific investigations from S.H.I.E.L.D. with his accustomed astuteness and efficiency; we also have a cameo of one of my favorite Avengers (even though without his traditional uniform); and a post-credits scene where a few concepts we are surely going to see in that future movie are established. But well...it would not be fair to only consider Thor as an extra-large trailer of The Avengers. As I previously said, it is a very entertaining movie with various positive elements, like Branagh's efficient direction, which drives the movie at a perfect rhythm. As for the cast, besides of the previously mentioned Hemsworth, I think that the rest of the actors is also worthy of applause, starting by Natalie Portman, who can perfectly express her character's emotions. I also liked the work from Stellan Skarsgård; his participation is relatively short and it would seem irrelevant if it was not for the dramatic weight this actor brings to the character with his mere presence. And Kat Dennings is quite funny and credible as the comic relief.

As for the screenplay, it is very well written; the only thing I would say against it is that it makes a few "traps" which feel a bit forced. As for the action scenes, I found them to be well filmed, with the exception of a few excessive close-ups which made them occasionally confusing; I think that is the only thing I can say against Branagh's direction.

In conclusion, I took a very pleasant surprise with Thor, and I can recommend it as a very good re-invention of a difficult to handle superhero. It might not be a great film, but it definitely made me have a good time.
219 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor proves a strong contender
rparham3 June 2011
In the pantheon of Marvel Superheroes, from my vantage point, Thor is a second-tier player. Even amongst non-obsessive comic aficionados, such as myself, Thor doesn't quite have the readership draw or the common familiarity in the public that heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, etc., have. However, that doesn't mean that Marvel Studios, the filmmaking wing of the company, feel inclined to give the filmic adaptation of Thor short shrift. The cinematic entry for this character, titled simply Thor, is among the better of the Marvel adaptations of recent years, mixing a good sense of fun, strong acting, and some Shakespearian level drama that makes for an especially entertaining time at the movies.

Liberally adapting portions of Thor comic book lore to fit in a more modern comic book film reality, Thor introduces us to a centuries old war between the Asgardians, beings that live for long periods of time and can travel through space from their home realm of Asgard to various other worlds, such as Earth, via the Bi-Frost bridge, and the conflict centric Frost Giants, whom the Asgardians conquered some time back. Odin (Anthony Hopkins), ruler of the Asgardians, is preparing to abdicate his throne to his son, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), but on the eve of Thor's inauguration, agents of the Frost Giants infiltrate Asgard and attempt to steal back a device that is the key to their power, which had been taken by Odin at the end of their long struggle. When Thor disagrees with his father's desire to not to retaliate in order to not disturb the peace that currently exists between the Asgardians and the Frost Giants, he takes matters into his own hands, traveling to the Frost Giant's realm with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), and compatriots Sif (Jaimie Alexander), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Hogun (Tadanobu Asano) and Fandral (Josh Dallas) in tow. When the encounter with the Frost Giants ends with tensions re-ignited between the two factions, Odin decides that his son is not prepared to lead his people, and exiles Thor, sans his powers, to Earth.

When he arrives on Earth, he is discovered by astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and her associates Professor Selvig (Stellan Skarsgaard) and Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), who are convinced that he isn't a random homeless vagabond that they found in the middle of the desert. Thor must attempt to locate his power hammer, Mjolnir, from the government agents that have captured it, and attempt to reclaim his place in Asgard. However, he finds that, without his super-human abilities, and surrounded by humans, perhaps some of his previous attitudes were incorrect, especially when he connects romantically with Jane. Meanwhile, Loki, who turns out to have some ulterior motives, seizes control of Asgard following the collapse of Odin from strain, and begins to hatch a grand scheme involving the Frost Giants.

Thor, much like Iron Man before it, proves that, in the right hands, a comic tale that appears silly on the surface can have hidden depths when properly plumbed. Sure, Thor has elements that, on the face of it, may lead a bit to some audience snickers (Thor's ability to pick himself up and fly and defeat attackers with little effort are a bit cheesy at times), but the creatives behind Thor, including director Kenneth Branagh, manage to develop a story for Thor that deals with elements of tragedy, pathos, selflessness and, perhaps even more surprisingly, involving character development. Thor is more about the lead characters at its core, again akin to Iron Man, than some other comic book films and this draws the audience into its tale.

When it was first announced that Kenneth Branagh would be taking the reins of Thor as a director, it seemed something of an unusual fit for someone best known for his cinematic adaptations of the works of Shakespeare, but the final results of Thor bare out that Branagh was just the right man for the job. Considering the larger-than-life origins of the Thor comic, involving beings with the power and appearance of Gods and the various machinations of their story, the material fits fairly well with Branagh's body of work to a great extent. Especially strong is the development of Loki, who proves to be less of a traditional mustache twirling villain, and more of a misguided soul, trapped between revelations he makes about himself and his past and his respect in his father, making him more of a tragic figure than a black and white comic book antagonist.

Thor benefits from strong acting from its leads, Hemsworth and Hiddleston. Hemsworth embodies Thor, first as the brash, acting-before- thinking hero, and later as a man faced with the reality that some of his choices and attitudes were not becoming of a king. Hemsworth really makes you empathize with Thor, and gives you a reason to root for the character throughout the film. Hiddleston, working with the somewhat subdued (at first) Loki eventually transforms him from a seeming weak, malleable person into one who's penchant for vengeance and control is revealed in layers, peeling back one by one through the development of the narrative.

Thor isn't without its weak points, however. The romance between Thor and Jane Foster is practically and afterthought, rushed into the narrative at light speed and then not given any room to breathe or develop, it plays more as a requirement of adapting the comic story than something that works organically in the film. Portman is fine in the role, but the screenplay doesn't give enough to this relationship for it to be more than a bump in the road of the film's story.

Once again, Marvel has managed to take one of their lesser known heroes and make them the subject of an entertaining film version, with energy and depth that is a bit unexpected. May they keep on making comic book films of this caliber.
82 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intelligent and fun comic-book popcorn epic!
sidfargas18 April 2011
Thor was much much better than I expected. I didn't know if they could pull of the balance between the Norse mythology stuff and the real world Marvel Universe. I should've known better because Marvel knows their characters and knows what we want to see. Spider-Man set a new standard for the superhero film genre back in the day. Iron Man upped the ante. Thor takes the ball and runs with it and places that bar even higher. I look forward to seeing it again and know it will do well enough to be worthy of a sequel because word of mouth is going to be great. Trust me when I say Thor REALLY IS as good as Iron Man and is most worthy to be called one of the greatest adaptations ever.

Chris Hemsworth as the Norse god Thor, and Tom Hiddleston as his villainous brother Loki show they have the acting ability and star quality to become mega-marquee names in the future. Marvel found two absolute diamonds in the rough. Both actors make a HUGE impression and are wonderful on screen. You knew Acedemy Award winners Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman would bring it but these relative unkowns more than hold their own on screen. I know the script is written mostly for them but they carry it in a big way. From what I've read, Hemsworth and Hiddleston were cast almost a year in advance of filming the story so, they had time to get into shape and do character research. They certain did these long-time Marvel greats proud. Intelligent comic-book popcorn epics are rare and this one is definitely a cut above the usual fare.
374 out of 612 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor: The Mighty Avenger
BiiivAL8 June 2018
It remains only to marvel at the company Marvel, which gives an impressive amount of money for the implementation of films on their comic books under the guidance of "newcomers" in the genre of "summer blockbuster." Four years ago they did this with John Favreau, who previously filmed family comedies and yet surprised many with his "Iron Man". Now, the honored actor and director of the dramatic cinema and theater Kenneth Brana demonstrated miracles by taking off a large-scale fantasy comics epic.

Actors

Chris Hamsworth

Taking advantage of the tested scheme (to take on the role of the protagonist of a little-known actor and surround him with "loud names"), Brana did not lose. Chris Hamsworth is the perfect Thor! Possessing not only impressive physical training and memorable appearance, Hamsworth was able to convey the power and emotions of this character. In some places it is threatening, in places it's funny when it's necessary to be gallant. Yes, and in general, throughout the whole movie you penetrate to the Torah sympathy and you empathize with it.

Natalie Portman

As always, she is charming and charming. The first falls on the Torah and runs after him all the remaining time :)

Anthony Hopkins

Worthy performance of a worthy role. The first experience of Hopkins in the film kinomics was a success.

Tom Hiddleston

Sly, a jealous manipulator. Another one hundred percent hit in the role!

Jamie Alexander, Ray Stevenson, Joshua Dallos, Tadanobu Asana and Idris Elba

Well-written characters, which should still be given a little more time, because each is interesting in its own way. Action

It is many, it is diverse, large-scale, beautiful, impressive and fascinating. The best episode is the battle of the top five warriors with the Ice Giants and a huge monster.

Special Effects

Looking at the trailers it seemed that the "Thor" would not be particularly pleased with the special effects, for both the monster's drawing and the Torah's hammer in action were not so impressive. But fortunately, the effects brought to shine and you can with full confidence to say that the "Torah" is the most grandiose special effects from all the films Marvel.

Locations

Ah, this Asgard! He is beautiful! Incredibly beautiful and the viewer is not satisfied with the monotonous views of the city. In each of Asgard's places shown, there is something unusual and unique. And the more interesting are the transitions from the deserted quiet town of New Mexico to the majestic palaces and structures of Asgard throughout the film.

Music

Patrick Doyle has proved since the time of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" that he is an excellent composer, skillfully combining different musical styles. The "Torah" is mostly dominated by pathos and heroic music, but in times of dramatic moments, sad compositions play.

Humor

Humor in the film is not as much as we would like. But he is funny and in no way slips into jokes below the belt. True, it would have been more ridiculous to beat the scenes of "God Tor in the modern world among ordinary people."

Plot

Enough fun and interesting without obvious stupidities and sagging. Although Torah's "rebirth" was worth paying more attention.

Surprises

In the film, a lot of Easter eggs for fans and attentive viewers. Starting from the most obvious (mentioning the Hulk and the Iron Man), ending with the hidden ones (Falcon eye). And at the end of the final credits, the audience expects another bridge to the upcoming "Avengers".

Undoubtedly, the most beautiful and grandiose film Marvel. Excellent entertaining summer movie. Satisfied should remain both the audience and the fans. I want to wish the studio to continue making films about my superheroes with the same love and warmth.
110 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, but not as good as it should have been
aernest16 May 2011
Though I'm old and did read some comics in my time, Thor was never one of them. I do teach some Norse mythology, though, so that aspect interested me. There was an odd steampunk approach to the mythology, which was OK, I suppose. I really didn't expect this movie to be War and Peace, and I was certainly right on the money with that. It went for the snarky Iron Man approach more than I thought it would. It's hard to pull off without veteran snarkmeister Robert Downey, Jr., though. Chris Hemsworth is impossibly charming and good- looking in the title role, and does pretty well, considering some of the lines he had to say. Anthony Hopkins is a safe choice for his patented Older Mentor/Authority Figure performance (enjoy that check, Anthony), and Tom Hiddleston is somewhat intriguing as Loki. Stellan Skarsgard is completely wasted in a role that could have been phoned in. But you know who really stinks up the joint? Natalie Portman. It was DAMN hard to believe she was an astrophysicist, but it was even harder to believe that THOR (god of thunder, possessor of unspeakable power) would find her even remotely interesting. All she does is whine. The alleged falling in love is quite unbelievable, BTW. Yeesh. I hope the inevitable sequel loses her character.
73 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An immensely enjoyable Marvel entry that complements the tone of Iron Man films
theycallmemrglass20 April 2011
I watched this last night at a preview screening in London.

I prayed that Kenneth Branagh would learn from his mistakes with handling a big budget movie, namely his Frankeinstein. Thankfully, I am glad to say he learnt a great deal from those mistakes. Of course, this is no Henry V, this is just pure popcorn entertainment but a thoroughly enjoyable introduction to Thor for the big screen. Chris Hemsworth played the part with a lot of energy, charisma and I have to admit from a bloke's point of view, annoying good looks. Anthony Hopkins added much needed heavyweight presence as Odin but its a role he has quite frankly played a gazillion times but I never tire of it, so I'm not complaining. In a year long span of brilliantly playing vastly different roles from psychotic to swashbuckling heroine, Natalie Portman this time plays the sweet determined scientist girl who falls for the strangely mannered good looking guy. Nothing too taxing for any of them but they do give a re-assuring aura about them.

The visuals were quite spectacular, mainly, the sweeping canvas of Asgard. The action scenes were also good though I thought could have been executed better with lesser use of the fast cut edit style that is too often the norm in action film these days.

There is plenty of humour when Thor is on Earth but not in a put-off way as there is a suitable contrast of a serious tone with everything set in Asgard. Even though the storyline was somewhat predictable, it was still a riveting one.

For those like me, who were concerned about how Thor fits into the established Marvel connected universe set by the Iron Man films need not worry. That is just another thing that Branagh and crew pulls off very well. We can now fully embrace the forthcoming Avengers where a God, a man who transforms into a giant green beast, and a man who flies in a hi tech amour suit can share the same screen. So its all coming together nicely.

And make sure you stay for the end credit scenes. In case you did not know of this before, I urge you to go back to the previous films (Iron Man 1 & 2, Incredible Hulk) and watch the end of credit sequences if you haven't already. They tell a separate story strand that will culminate to a certain upcoming Marvel movie. The end credit sequence of Thor is the most fascinating yet as it actually takes a major plot development in the story strand ;) And it was the longest bloody end of credit sequence I've ever seen in any movie! One last thing, the film I saw was in 3d and once again, it practically nearly ruined all the action scenes for me. In the non action scenes, it was pretty useless and just simply made the film much darker.
215 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter garbage written around SFX
ocacia7 May 2011
Did professionals write this film? Did Antony really read the script or did he just see the figures in the contract? I think Nat and Tony need new agents, because you do not go from Silence of lamb and Black Swan *respectively* to this utter junk.

I do not know what other people saw but there is nothing good or unique in this film. The special effects actually made me tired. And lets talk about the story? My Lord, where was it and when did it begin. I got the feeling that the script was written after the action sequences were planned. They therefore said we want this effect and this effect now lets write a film around that. We need to use up Nat so lets force a romance into the script. We want jokes, so lets force a few of those in there. So much dead space in the film that doesn't arch into anything.scenes seem random and disconnected, like writing in junk to get it to a feature length time. drifting focus, drifting priorities. And no great moments that saved the film.

Also it is an overnight transformation from utter arrgoance to humility. Does anyone identify with any characters here? Did you understand the brothers motives? Makes no real sense in the real world. Did the film introduce anything for anyone to attach themselves to emotionally? No. Characters appear in odd order without any development. Actually while I am here typing I just realized something : This film is below the dignity of critique. It is so poor, so badly directed and written that to even point out the weak character development or random script turns give too much credit to it. I will therefore cease to add speak about it for fear of giving someone the illusion that there is anything to actually speak about in terms of artistic critique.
194 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful Family Dynamic and Beautiful Landscape
featheredsun8 September 2011
This is a throw-off piece of Marvel fiction that is packed full of cliché and predictability...to a point.

I found myself cringing at a lot of the scenes of heroism and there's a definite stink of pure cheetos-stained fanboyism in many of the scenes in general, with the usual over-the-top "glory" of this old four-color trope.

But certain things caught my attention as well-done.

First, Asgard is absolutely beautiful. They went all out in making a realm of metallic and elemental grandeur. I had no trouble in buying this as the realm of Asgard, the ultimate land of beautiful heroism. In particular, the rainbow bridge, the weaponry, and the interior scenes were very fitting in general style and specific detail. Very impressive visually and even thematically.

Second, Branagh's touch can be seen with Shakespearean flair in the family of Odin the AllFather. Odin himself is brimmed with both the rime of age and the wisdom that comes with it and yet his voice can instantly summon fearful authority. Hopkins does well with that balance, even through some cheesy scripting.

And the brothers... the sibling rivalry here is very very potent in that it is nuanced and fully realized by both actors. There is love there, but also a lack of understanding, envy, and hate. Loki is far from a cardboard villain, in that we see, all in one package - a fighter who protects his allies, an honest counselor, a liar, a cautious thinker, a smooth tongue, and an awkward one. He loves and reveres his father, but comes to almost fatally doubt him and even hate him...but it's all very real and very stirring. And even when it's clear that he's done very grim deeds, you can actually understand and accept his motives...and his last scene in the film brings all three of the family men together in a very poignant moment of utter loss.

I was pretty surprised how moving this all was, especially when put in the middle of some otherwise-uninspiring hero pablem.

So in summary, this movie both met my negative expectation of disappointment and surprised me with some purely moving content. See it to see if it surprises you at all as well, and forget the whole comic-book hero thing, since that's been done far better.

Thanks for reading.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An insult to Marvel fans, movie goers, and human intelligence in general
feelinesound28 April 2011
Honestly, seeing that Branagh directed and J. Michael Straczynski wrote the script is a large part of why I went to see the movie. Plus I'm generally a big fan of Marvel and their movies.

Unfortunately it's one of the dumbest things I've seen in years, and is completely full of moronic clichés and the most superficial faux morals. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money on things that are more deserving of it, especially if you've worked hard to earn it.

Just in case you want to know what you'll be missing ---

* spoiler alert * (though really I'm giving this film a massive compliment by suggesting you could 'spoil' anything in it)

Thor's father takes his hammer away and sends him to earth for punishment. While there Thor literally changes overnight from being an arrogant, rash and violent idiot to a wise, humble and pacifist purveyor of all things noble, and the only possible reason for this that's presented in the movie is that he met Natalie Portman and was then told that his father died while he was gone. Once Thor the god of thunder completes this astonishing and instant transformation and sacrifices his life for others, his hammer flies back to him, revives him and he beats the bad guys with it.

If you really, really love Marvel movies and viking folklore (to the point where you don't mind these things being made a joke out of) and have 2.5 hours in which you'd otherwise be causing harm to humanity or this planet, go see it. Otherwise you might as well spare yourself from this glorious waste of time and brain cells.
324 out of 601 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter, utter tripe
cre8toruk9 May 2011
Sorry, to all that have given this "movie" more than 1 out of 10. This has to be one of the most sorry excuses for a movie I've ever seen. Actually less interesting and more poorly written than Pokemon the movie and even that was a new low for me... It cost me £10.00 to see this (I had my own 3d glasses)!!! I'm considering asking for a refund.

What was the point of Natalie Portman or the other mortals presence and the 5 minutes we spent in their company?

This movie is nothing but a 2 and bit hour long trailer for the undoubted THOR 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 which will have all the drama and normally good content that Marvel based movies have (I can only hope).

More time is spent (nearly half) developing characters and giving us background information on how we've got to where we've got...rather than telling the story that we paid to see....

There's no depth of character, (Anthony Hopkins was the best actor in it and he spent most of his time in a coma, I'm guessing after he read the script !), there's no plot other than arrogant son, exiled to earth. He spends 5 minutes (yes 5 !) not understanding anything that's going on or how society works (despite him and his people being deified for at least 2,000 years) and then gets sucked back to his own "realm", there's little in the way of good dialogue, the special effects are Dr Who'esq and the 3D is forgettable.

There's no menace from any of the baddies, his "bad" half / non brother seems so nice that you think "ah it's all an act and something terrible is going to happen"... but no, he is quite a nice guy only really dabbles with naughtiness.....

This film was supposed to be in 3D yet I completely forgot that it was after the first 5 minutes and only at the end when I realised that I was wearing the stupid glasses did I remember!!

In a time where we have transformers, X-Men and the like, the special effects were weak and pretty poor. There's no humour no camping it up to rescue it either.

My worry is that if this is the best movie of the undoubted quadruology that we're about to be subjected to, then God help us.

I warn you we may have another Iron Man 2 (a movie I still haven't been able to stay awake all the way through yet!!) or Spiderman (anything other than 1) on our hands and can I bring myself to part with another £10 on the strength of that?... almost certainly not.

This could and should have been great, it wasn't and I'm left feeling cheated !

Cre8.
154 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Distracting spectacle but disappointingly empty of ideas and full of franchise "stuff" (mild SPOILERS)
bob the moo21 September 2011
I had heard a lot of good things about this film before I eventually saw it. I had decided that I wasn't going to go and pay loads of money to sit in noisy cinemas and be bombarded with disappointing blockbusters this summer, but I figured that this had enough good word of mouth to be worth seeing. After watching it I browsed through the user comments here of writers I generally trust and found that most of them had loved it too; so why did I find it to be all a lot of fuss and nonsense that ultimately amounts to very little?

I came to Thor with some worries despite the good word of mouth, I never cared for the character generally and he always seemed a little silly to me, with the Nordic god dialogue just making it worse. As a result I guess the script could have been worse because it would have been bogged down in this stuff but it never was, however this is not to say that it worked well. What it does is take us from point A to point B without ever really doing a huge amount of interest. It has enough humour in to stop it being too serious, but not enough to actually be light and fun. It has enough character in it to avoid it feeling wooden, but not enough to make one care. It has enough drama in it to set up the action, but not enough to provide actual tension or a sense of danger. To me it didn't seem to do anything in particular. I was looking for more sport to be made of this silly God once he was on earth but it didn't happen. In particular I was looking for Loki to be a more interesting "baddie" since he could have been a tragic, haunted character – but we don't see this outside of his actions.

This all came together for me to limit my interest in what was going on. The stuff in the heavens was all too full of mock Shakespearean shouting but without dramatic substance, while the stuff on Earth was too fleeting and lacking fun and entertainment value. For sure the film provides spectacle but again I just found it to be rather hollow as I watched it, enjoying it for the noise but not much else. The cast are varied. Although limited, Hemsworth is well-cast because he has the body and big voice to fill the character. He needed a good opposite number though and in Hiddleston he doesn't have it – he doesn't have the presence needed or the depth of character. Portman has almost nothing to do and it shows in her performance, she is here for the sake of it and you could have digitally removed her from this film and made no difference to it. Ditto Skarsgård– at least Dennings provided some light relief. Hopkins adds a bit of gravitas to proceedings, while Elba has the frame and voice for his character. Like everyone else it surprises me still to think this was directed by Kenneth Branagh, but it is a smart career move for him to show he can do big budget effects movies – if it does nothing else, it shows that.

Thor feels like a film that had to be made rather than one that was created on its own merits. Of course, as part of The Avengers, this is true but it is irritating that you feel that way while watching it. It has noise and spectacle for those looking for that, but it lacks too much in the way of character, danger, humour and good old fashioned entertainment. You know when you buy a new product and the first few days it is shiny and great but then, in using it you spot lots of gaps and think "why didn't they do this?" and "why did they not expand this function?" – well Thor is that product, shiny and noisy but ultimately one is left wondering why the makers didn't do a lot more in some regards and a lot less in others. Not an awful film – but just a bog-standard one with a massive effects budget.
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thunderously good entertainment !
janus-2025 April 2011
Straight to the point, this was not only one of the better ones, its one of the few really good ones. I'm sure anyone reading this knows what i'm getting at, they either get these right or they get them wrong. Well this ones right, very right, from start to finish, epic, spectacular, warm, funny, action packed.

The story draws you in, the characters are likable, the pace is just right, doesn't race along, but doesn't plod either. Great cast, particularly Chris Hemsworth, if Captain America and Green Lantern can keep up this standard then it'll be a good summer season.

Ken's pulled it all together. Go and watch it, i cant imagine you wont enjoy it and if you think i'm being paid to say this then get stuffed !!
157 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hail the Mighty Thor!
ChadFeldheimer19 April 2011
Okay, so Thor is pretty darn decent. Phew. Without revealing anything regarding the plot, I'll just say that I enjoyed this film quite a lot, and would rate it above both Iron Man films, but not by too much. (If you hated them maybe just stay away from Marvel movies in general?) Very good in all areas, without achieving greatness in any sums up this movie nicely I think. Beautiful costumes and set design, solid acting all around, and much better action than recent movies have offered up. The world of Asgard has been handled wonderfully, looking absolutely gorgeous, and with all of its denizens very well spoken without their dialogue ever being as obtuse or clunky as Thor's 'Ye Olde' English has been known to be in the past. Special mention to Idris Elba for being friggin' awesome. I'm a pretty big Marvel fan, but not knowing what Mjolnir is won't harm your enjoyment of Thor to any great degree I don't think. Also, side note, I personally dislike 3D with a great, burning passion (thank you Clash of the Titans), but it is relatively well done here, never distracting from the film. I would still recommend seeing it in 2D if you can though, as it is quite dark in parts. Several parts. Bring on the Avengers!
134 out of 255 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Thundering Triumph!
assman20020 April 2011
The first blockbuster of 2011 may be the best. They certainly set the bar very high. It's an exciting and certainly an all-around entertaining comic book adaptation. Nothing in this genre since LOTR has been any better. Everyone involved in the production should be proud to know that their movie can stand toe-to-toe with the likes of anything else that summer can throw at them.

They found the perfect combination of spectacle and guts and passion balanced with the human dynamic of the character. It delivers mind-bending visuals but it still very intelligent and thrilling. How many summer films can you say that about that you've seen over the past ten years or so???? The actors REALLY brought the characters to life. It was really amazing to see it develop on the big screen. There's no doubt that Hemsworth is a star in the making and a rather astounding leading man. Thor is a dazzling example of the superhero movie done right. There were some parts in the movie where I was just blown away. This film has a depth that no one could have expected and is very impressive in scale and design.

I love how the movie played out and it exceeded all my expectations. This was by far the adventure movie I've seen in years. Not too many movies continue to have character growth from start to finish but still pack in the action and heart.
230 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?
flemming-903-9270423 November 2011
Again we witness how you spoil a rather good movie. After 5 minutes I was ready to stop it, and read a newspaper! WHY...please tell me WHY is there Asians and Afro Americans in Asgard? I'm ABSOULTE NOT racist, but I'm Danish, and when I watch a movie which should tell a story from the Nordic mythology, It p..... me off that it has to be "sooo political correct", no matter that it totally spoils the movie.

Could have been a rather good movie, but turned out trashy. No, I won't see no. 2-3-4-5-6 or 7 in the series. All this because Americans need to please the political crowd. That's just awful.

If toy want to make a movie like this, then please research, and cast as good as you can. This is just so wrong.
55 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow, Superficial, Boring...
keremgo22 July 2013
It was really a bad movie. Sorry Thor fans. I personally never been a fan of these fake god characters. Humans with superpowers who believe they are gods. Never made sense since I was a little kid.

Perhaps I don't like it, because of the effect of deep and well executed stories of movies like Drive and Europa Report, everything on THOR felt like shallow, superficial and boring...

There are 3 worlds in total, one little town in earth, one world of the ice dudes and Asgard (or whatever) - Most of the movie took place in a little (I mean really little) town in USA (perhaps nothing but a movie set). You can see it's ending on high altitude shots and population was perhaps 100 people? Dialogs are meaningless, character interactions are superficial (an ordinary girl of earth fell in love with a handsome "god" wow!) story is extremely simple. I'm taking that much simple stories as an insult to my intellect. I think the people hated from Prometheus are probably people who loved THOR, since there's nothing deep and complicated going on, to think about after movie.

These line of characters and stories were good on earlier movies. Iron Man 1 and 2 was good, The Incredible Hulk was really good. But with Thor and Avengers they started to ruin it. Iron Man 3 wasn't different also. Pointless, repetitive, superficial, shallow...

I still didn't see Captain America which has connection to these series of movies because of the Avengers. I don't know if I can stand with another "America saves the world kills all the bad guys with different colors and cultures from other countries" flick.

Watch it only if you are HUGE fan of that comic character...
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice visuals but terrible movie
Asbjorns19 May 2011
The graphics and visuals of the movie were impressive. However as a movie it was no better than a B-movie. Storyline is dull, and something we have seen a million times before.

An untried youth (Thor) who wants to prove his worth, but manages only to invoke the wrath of his elders (odin), he is then cast into banishment where he must prove his worth and make wise decisions in order to prove himself and return to his home.

While this concept may still work, I think the characters are extremely superficial and boring. And furthermore, as a Scandinavian I'm pretty disgusted by the rendition of Asgard and its inhibitors. They have only scratched the surface of the characters (how they originally were described) should behave, and they are in no way as barbaric as they should be.

Also, what the hell is up with the casting? Some of the gods are Asians and black, and Sif is dark-haired and not the wife of Thor? Taken from Wikipedia "Sif is the wife of the god Thor and is known for her golden hair." That is literally what she is known for. I am no racist person but they should all be tall, blond and brutal.

Terrible movie :(
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really don't understand all the positive feedback for this film
jprslattery21 May 2011
This film was one of the most tedious experiences of my life. I enjoy a good cheesy action film like the next guy and was genuinely looking forward to a mindless 90 minutes of fun. What I actually experienced was self important, overly buff, lord of the rings reject extras spouting some of the worst lines in film history. How Natalie Portman, let alone Stellen Skarsgard, got roped into this I will never know. Repetitive actions scenes, awful editing that cut the middle of conversations and light humour from Thors friends (puke) and the terrible Kat Dennings made for a challenging viewing experience all round. Where Iron Man went so right with its self depricating humour and quick wit Thor has languid scenes, flacid romance and wooden character interaction.

The picture lacks a decent development of storyline and character which is always difficult when introducing a character with a deep backstory but it has been done so well recently with Batman Begins et al. There is a definite smell of studio meddling in the final cut with some scenes jumping all over the place. Loki (Tom Hiddleson) changes from loyal brother/Son to evil traitor with no story or character development. Anthony Hopkins spends most of the film in a coma. Chris Hemsworth can't be to blame for a film which seems over produced, over edited and that was marketed as Return of the King but was more Masters of the Universe. The decision to assign 'Ice Giants' (yes Ice Giants) as 'baddies' falls flat as they are about as scary and menacing as frosty the snowman.

The whole project felt a thin and is so poorly put together you could see it unravel before your eyes. Fingers crossed for a better Summer Blockbuster in the near future...
110 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Englishman, an Australian & a Hammer
bassrourke17 April 2011
Having just seen the global premiere of Thor - God of Thunder, in Sydney Australia, all I can say is ....wow! Don't worry readers I am not about to give away one single spoiler, however after some time and anticipation, Thor is a winner. Australian Chris Hemsworth graced the red carpet in all his native glory, talking up the film and his future entity in The Avengers. He was joined by Shakespeare aficionado Director Kenneth Brangh and co stars Jamie Alexander & Tom Hiddleston who plays crowd favourite Loki. Thor is a good movie, plenty of action, a lovely heroine (Natalie Portman) and some interesting sidekicks. Costumes rock, not to mention the obligatory Marvel characters making significant cameos, not just the extra scene after the credits, but within the film itself. I was a little over superhero movies recently but this is not to be missed.
83 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God of Slumber
RhyanScorpioRhys8 May 2011
Hmmm, Thor… where do I begin? I have long since given up the erroneous notion that superhero movies should be true to its comic book counterparts. I also have lived long enough to see superhero titles rebooted so often that they bear no r...resemblance to their origins as told in my youth (Jane Foster is an astrophysicist stormchaser?) So, I entered Thor with absolutely no expectations. Good thing, too, because if I had any, they wouldn't have been met. First, I must agree with Sir Anthony Hopkins and state that there is far to much CGI in this film and not enough character development. There were opportunities to delve into characters and their back stories that were simply ignored.

Other problems include: Fight scenes that played out like video game ads, with actors trying to strike the right "badass" pose for the cool action shots. Annoyingly silly humor that wore thin quickly. Conflicts that were one-dimensional and built no real suspense. A forced love story. And I understand that even a god of thunder must have a character arc, and Thor's was a common one that I could have overlooked… had it been better acted, and yes, better directed.

The whole movie lacked gravitas. Plain and simple.

There are some that have said it's nothing more than a two-hour preview for the upcoming Avengers movie and I can't totally disagree with that. But it is not the worst superhero movie ever made (far from it), it is simply the weakest Avengers prequel movie made to date (and yes, I'm including Iron Man 2 in that category).

Who knows? Check your brain at the door and you might just enjoy this special episode of "Donald's Creek."
109 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasant Surprise
smlubecki20 July 2011
When I heard they were making a movie of the character Thor I had serious trepidations. When I heard that Kenneth Branagh was directing it I had even more trepidation not due to the fact that it was Branagh but the fact that all he's ever directed was drama's.

Going into the theater I very low expectations from this film and man was I blown away. I like the fact that Branagh didn't approach the story as a super-hero film but more of a Shakespearing epic. The fantasy elements alone were marvelous.

Anthony Hopkins IS Odin...I cannot imaging another actor portraying him. His performance as Odin captures the essence of the character and the delicate balance of ruler verses father. He exudes power with subtle touches of vulnerability.

Chris Hemsworth is outstanding as Thor. He's got such a likability about him that even at Thor's most arrogant point in the story you can see how his friends stand by him. His performance is rock solid and extremely enjoyable.

Tom Hiddleston is THE perfect Loki. He's captured the sleazy, slimy, be nice to your face but looking for a place to drive the knife in your back nature of the character.

As I had stated earlier the story plays out as more of a fantasy epic than a dyed in the wool super-hero story. The journey into Jotenheim was stunning and Asgard itself was just beautiful to behold. The set designs were excellent. The humor in the film was very organic and never seemed forced. The story itself was very well balanced and didn't leave you wondering what the heck was going on. I almost wish they'd have kept it separate from the upcoming Marvel films. It works very well as a stand alone epic.

The effect's that I was expecting to be sub-standard were in fact top notch and even Thors trademark spinning hammer from the comics didn't look as cheesy as it could have.

This movie is a gem. All parties involved should be proud of themselves for bringing such a great piece of work to the screen. I for one cannot wait to see a sequel to this film. With any luck we'll see some of the other nine realms such as Muspelheim, Alfheim or even Vanaheim.

This is definitely a MUST SEE film
35 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible Action and Fantasy but with a Superb Story! Best in Years!
John_T_Chance26 April 2011
Another outstanding effort, Marvel does it again! It's hard to believe that a movie with this subject matter can make you think and challenge all your movie viewing skills but it does so and more. It's very artistic and you would expect no less from Kenneth Branagh. He presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It's a perfect blend and this movie is far deeper then I would've thought. The pacing was perfect as is the link to the Marvel movie Universe... I can't wait to see what Captain America brings us. Overall, a summer movie that's superior to everything else that I've seen in years.

The director's background in Shakespearian themes comes in to play right from the beginning of the film and run throughout. Thor is a super-strong "god" and can travel through space with supernatural powers yet the story is paradoxical and contrary about those elements instead choosing to focus on the human elements. THAT elevates this film far beyond anything I was expecting but I should have known better considering the source material and the director.

The genuine and relatable qualities of these characters are what make it a great film. Sure, the action and fantasy are incredible but the story works so well. The family dynamics between fathers & sons along with sibling rivalry and the price of vanity and lack of humility all resonate. The choices made and the relationships on display are as wonderful as the brawling and action... which are as good as any summer movie that I've seen in years.
65 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Offers absolutely nothing.
motif13 May 2011
This film was an amalgamation of every "superhero" cliché from start to finish. It did absolutely nothing for me or my girlfriend. Seems like a script by committee situation. An artless product by all accounts.

The only redeeming quality was the lead actor. Despite having a strong cast and a respected director, the film delivered Hollywood triteness at its worst.

I'm not sure why Hollywood penguins insist on making products terrible. No matter how many trend data sheets they sift through, a good story is not a sum of popular topics or a mix-and-match of proved techniques. A good story has a voice of its own and this had none. Branagh obviously didn't fight hard enough to get anything valuable here. It shows no effort. As I said, artless.

I only speak so harshly here because in 2011 there's no excuse to spend 150mill and this is your end product.
79 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you've read the comics or at least have a brain, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE
pobigs7 May 2011
First of all, after seeing both, I'd recommend you watch this movie in 2D. It is one of the worst comic book adaptations I've ever seen. All the fight scenes happened to fast and you could barely see it if you watch it in 3D, all the female characters are portrayed as useless idiots and if you haven't read the comic book this movie will not make any sense. Just don't waste your money. It has ruined my childhood. The plot was strung together very loosely as well. Don't get me wrong, some of the acting was very good. For example, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddlestone really brought this screen to life when they were given time behind Chris Hemsworth and his horribly cheesy acting. The directors could have done so much better. I guess that's what happens when you sell your soul to Disney (Marvel was sold to Disney). What a shame
73 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.