Thor (2011) Poster

(2011)

1,057 Reviews
Thor
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Thor is a film that takes risks - and they pay off wonderfully. The movie grounds itself in reality while keeping a mythological and fantasy-esqe tone, and it never loses sight of the humanity within the characters, with elevates this above standard superhero fare.
48 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor proves a strong contender
rparham3 June 2011
In the pantheon of Marvel Superheroes, from my vantage point, Thor is a second-tier player. Even amongst non-obsessive comic aficionados, such as myself, Thor doesn't quite have the readership draw or the common familiarity in the public that heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, etc., have. However, that doesn't mean that Marvel Studios, the filmmaking wing of the company, feel inclined to give the filmic adaptation of Thor short shrift. The cinematic entry for this character, titled simply Thor, is among the better of the Marvel adaptations of recent years, mixing a good sense of fun, strong acting, and some Shakespearian level drama that makes for an especially entertaining time at the movies.

Liberally adapting portions of Thor comic book lore to fit in a more modern comic book film reality, Thor introduces us to a centuries old war between the Asgardians, beings that live for long periods of time and can travel through space from their home realm of Asgard to various other worlds, such as Earth, via the Bi-Frost bridge, and the conflict centric Frost Giants, whom the Asgardians conquered some time back. Odin (Anthony Hopkins), ruler of the Asgardians, is preparing to abdicate his throne to his son, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), but on the eve of Thor's inauguration, agents of the Frost Giants infiltrate Asgard and attempt to steal back a device that is the key to their power, which had been taken by Odin at the end of their long struggle. When Thor disagrees with his father's desire to not to retaliate in order to not disturb the peace that currently exists between the Asgardians and the Frost Giants, he takes matters into his own hands, traveling to the Frost Giant's realm with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), and compatriots Sif (Jaimie Alexander), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Hogun (Tadanobu Asano) and Fandral (Josh Dallas) in tow. When the encounter with the Frost Giants ends with tensions re-ignited between the two factions, Odin decides that his son is not prepared to lead his people, and exiles Thor, sans his powers, to Earth.

When he arrives on Earth, he is discovered by astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and her associates Professor Selvig (Stellan Skarsgaard) and Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), who are convinced that he isn't a random homeless vagabond that they found in the middle of the desert. Thor must attempt to locate his power hammer, Mjolnir, from the government agents that have captured it, and attempt to reclaim his place in Asgard. However, he finds that, without his super-human abilities, and surrounded by humans, perhaps some of his previous attitudes were incorrect, especially when he connects romantically with Jane. Meanwhile, Loki, who turns out to have some ulterior motives, seizes control of Asgard following the collapse of Odin from strain, and begins to hatch a grand scheme involving the Frost Giants.

Thor, much like Iron Man before it, proves that, in the right hands, a comic tale that appears silly on the surface can have hidden depths when properly plumbed. Sure, Thor has elements that, on the face of it, may lead a bit to some audience snickers (Thor's ability to pick himself up and fly and defeat attackers with little effort are a bit cheesy at times), but the creatives behind Thor, including director Kenneth Branagh, manage to develop a story for Thor that deals with elements of tragedy, pathos, selflessness and, perhaps even more surprisingly, involving character development. Thor is more about the lead characters at its core, again akin to Iron Man, than some other comic book films and this draws the audience into its tale.

When it was first announced that Kenneth Branagh would be taking the reins of Thor as a director, it seemed something of an unusual fit for someone best known for his cinematic adaptations of the works of Shakespeare, but the final results of Thor bare out that Branagh was just the right man for the job. Considering the larger-than-life origins of the Thor comic, involving beings with the power and appearance of Gods and the various machinations of their story, the material fits fairly well with Branagh's body of work to a great extent. Especially strong is the development of Loki, who proves to be less of a traditional mustache twirling villain, and more of a misguided soul, trapped between revelations he makes about himself and his past and his respect in his father, making him more of a tragic figure than a black and white comic book antagonist.

Thor benefits from strong acting from its leads, Hemsworth and Hiddleston. Hemsworth embodies Thor, first as the brash, acting-before- thinking hero, and later as a man faced with the reality that some of his choices and attitudes were not becoming of a king. Hemsworth really makes you empathize with Thor, and gives you a reason to root for the character throughout the film. Hiddleston, working with the somewhat subdued (at first) Loki eventually transforms him from a seeming weak, malleable person into one who's penchant for vengeance and control is revealed in layers, peeling back one by one through the development of the narrative.

Thor isn't without its weak points, however. The romance between Thor and Jane Foster is practically and afterthought, rushed into the narrative at light speed and then not given any room to breathe or develop, it plays more as a requirement of adapting the comic story than something that works organically in the film. Portman is fine in the role, but the screenplay doesn't give enough to this relationship for it to be more than a bump in the road of the film's story.

Once again, Marvel has managed to take one of their lesser known heroes and make them the subject of an entertaining film version, with energy and depth that is a bit unexpected. May they keep on making comic book films of this caliber.
118 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best MCU stories and productions
Top_Dawg_Critic19 June 2019
Who knew Thor was the perfect drinking buddy and is domesticated lol? Perfect writing. Perfect directing. Perfect casting. Perfect cinematography. Perfect amount of S/VFX. Perfect score. Perfect comedy/drama/thrills. Etc... 10/10
39 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intelligent and fun comic-book popcorn epic!
sidfargas18 April 2011
Thor was much much better than I expected. I didn't know if they could pull of the balance between the Norse mythology stuff and the real world Marvel Universe. I should've known better because Marvel knows their characters and knows what we want to see. Spider-Man set a new standard for the superhero film genre back in the day. Iron Man upped the ante. Thor takes the ball and runs with it and places that bar even higher. I look forward to seeing it again and know it will do well enough to be worthy of a sequel because word of mouth is going to be great. Trust me when I say Thor REALLY IS as good as Iron Man and is most worthy to be called one of the greatest adaptations ever.

Chris Hemsworth as the Norse god Thor, and Tom Hiddleston as his villainous brother Loki show they have the acting ability and star quality to become mega-marquee names in the future. Marvel found two absolute diamonds in the rough. Both actors make a HUGE impression and are wonderful on screen. You knew Acedemy Award winners Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman would bring it but these relative unkowns more than hold their own on screen. I know the script is written mostly for them but they carry it in a big way. From what I've read, Hemsworth and Hiddleston were cast almost a year in advance of filming the story so, they had time to get into shape and do character research. They certain did these long-time Marvel greats proud. Intelligent comic-book popcorn epics are rare and this one is definitely a cut above the usual fare.
382 out of 624 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Adventure
claudio_carvalho25 September 2011
In 965 D.C., in Tornsberg, Norway, the Frost Giants from Jotunheim led by King Laufey (Colm Feore) attack the locals, and the Allfather Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and the warriors of Asgard protect the humans and win the battle against the invaders. They take their source of power and bring it to Asgard and they start an armistice with Jotunheim.

When three Frost Giants break in Asgard trying to retrieve their source of power, they are destroyed by the Destroyer. The arrogant Thor (Chris Hemsworth) decides to attack Jotunheim with his stepbrother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and four Asgardian warriors and disobeys the order of his father Odin. In order to avoid war against Jotunheim, Odin removes the powers of Thor and exiles him on Earth to live among the humans. Odin also throws his hammer Mjölnir to New Mexico and orders that only the one that is worth will get the powerful hammer and achieve Thor's powers.

In Puente Antigo, New Mexico, the physician Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is researching a phenomenon in the desert with her professor Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and her mate Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings). Out of the blue, Thor is hit by Jane's truck and she takes him to the hospital. Thor unsuccessfully tries to retrieve Mjölnir that is protected by agents of the government SHIELD. When the Machiavellian Loki sends the Destroyer to Earth to kill Thor, he needs to retrieve his hammer to save not only the humans, but also his Allfather Odin and Asgard from the evil Loki.

"Thor" is an entertaining adventure based on the character of the comic book published by Marvel Comics. Natalie Portman is usually the synonym of a good movie and she is delightful in the role of a scientist. The plot is funny and the scenes with the human Thor; the Nordic black gatekeeper Heimdall (Idris Elba); and the Vikings and Gods speaking in English are hilarious. The special effects are top-notch and the viewer may bring the popcorn and delight with a pleasant family entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Thor"
39 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An immensely enjoyable Marvel entry that complements the tone of Iron Man films
theycallmemrglass20 April 2011
I watched this last night at a preview screening in London.

I prayed that Kenneth Branagh would learn from his mistakes with handling a big budget movie, namely his Frankeinstein. Thankfully, I am glad to say he learnt a great deal from those mistakes. Of course, this is no Henry V, this is just pure popcorn entertainment but a thoroughly enjoyable introduction to Thor for the big screen. Chris Hemsworth played the part with a lot of energy, charisma and I have to admit from a bloke's point of view, annoying good looks. Anthony Hopkins added much needed heavyweight presence as Odin but its a role he has quite frankly played a gazillion times but I never tire of it, so I'm not complaining. In a year long span of brilliantly playing vastly different roles from psychotic to swashbuckling heroine, Natalie Portman this time plays the sweet determined scientist girl who falls for the strangely mannered good looking guy. Nothing too taxing for any of them but they do give a re-assuring aura about them.

The visuals were quite spectacular, mainly, the sweeping canvas of Asgard. The action scenes were also good though I thought could have been executed better with lesser use of the fast cut edit style that is too often the norm in action film these days.

There is plenty of humour when Thor is on Earth but not in a put-off way as there is a suitable contrast of a serious tone with everything set in Asgard. Even though the storyline was somewhat predictable, it was still a riveting one.

For those like me, who were concerned about how Thor fits into the established Marvel connected universe set by the Iron Man films need not worry. That is just another thing that Branagh and crew pulls off very well. We can now fully embrace the forthcoming Avengers where a God, a man who transforms into a giant green beast, and a man who flies in a hi tech amour suit can share the same screen. So its all coming together nicely.

And make sure you stay for the end credit scenes. In case you did not know of this before, I urge you to go back to the previous films (Iron Man 1 & 2, Incredible Hulk) and watch the end of credit sequences if you haven't already. They tell a separate story strand that will culminate to a certain upcoming Marvel movie. The end credit sequence of Thor is the most fascinating yet as it actually takes a major plot development in the story strand ;) And it was the longest bloody end of credit sequence I've ever seen in any movie! One last thing, the film I saw was in 3d and once again, it practically nearly ruined all the action scenes for me. In the non action scenes, it was pretty useless and just simply made the film much darker.
232 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie
AngelHonesty28 December 2019
Great movie! The storyline is very well done! I love how they show Asgard and explain how everything fits into place. The humor is very tasteful, mixed with a good amount of action. The only thing that could have used some improving was the way they filmed the film. The shakey camera and weird angles are a little annoying, but the rest of the film makes up for this. Very good choice in the cast, could not have picked a better actor for Thor or Loki. Natalie Portman's part isn't the best. She has cheesy lines and her acting doesnt flow right, even though she is a talented actress. She does better with serious parts inatead of light and comical. This movie is very clean and makes a great fun movie for the entire family.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie, I like it! Another! *smashes movie to the ground*
Chalice_Of_Evil21 April 2011
I'd never read a Thor comic, nor had I been following this movie's progression until a trailer was released, the first of which I didn't think was great, but the second of which I thought looked promising. To my surprise, this film turned out to be one of my favourite comic book films ever. The story's interesting without being overly convoluted, starting in an unlikely place as we meet astrophysicist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who works alongside scientists, Darcy (Kat Dennings) and Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård), and she makes a memorable first impression as she accidentally hits Thor (Chris Hemsworth) with her car (on more than one occasion). He's been cast out of Asgard for going against the wishes of his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), and picking fights with the Frost Giants. Meanwhile, his devious brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is plotting against him (which Odin *really* should've seen coming, as having two sons and telling them that only 'one' can be King never ends well).

Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth (who did a lot with a little in 2009's Star Trek) is easily likeable in the role, not only meeting the physical requirements of a god, but also displaying a comedic side and at the same time proving himself capable of selling the more serious/dramatic moments (there were two scenes which stood out to me. The first being his fight with his father just before he's banished, which felt like a very *real* father/son argument, as Thor clearly realizes he's gone too far after insulting his dad. The other moment was a particularly emotional one once Thor is delivered some devastating news by his manipulative trickster of a brother whilst being stuck on Earth without his powers. Hemsworth really sells that despite his bravado, Thor is just a son who misses home and cares about his father even when he doesn't see eye-to-eye with him. It was a very underrated scene, I felt).

I, for one, felt Natalie Portman's Jane Foster wasn't the typical dull 'love interest' role that seems to plague a lot of comic book movies. She's intelligent and actually has a lighter side than most love interests, thankfully not being dead serious all the time. She's ably supported by Skårsgard (this is the first time I've liked him in a role) and Dennings (who steals every scene she's in as Darcy, bringing some genuinely amusing humour to the film). While it would have been easy for the scenes set on Earth to feel 'slower'/more 'boring' than those set in Asgard, it's these three human characters and their interaction with Thor that keeps their scenes interesting/entertaining. There is much humour to be found in the fish-out-of-water situation that Thor finds himself in, the relationship that develops between him and Jane isn't over-done and where we leave the two of them at the end of the film wasn't quite what I expected.

Thor's allies back on Asgard prove interesting as well. His friends (referred to at one point as "Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood". I'd add that the fourth looks like a taller version of Gimli from LotR) aren't just one-dimensional characters. They're actually each unique, bringing something different to the table (I especially enjoyed the moment where they're reunited with Thor on Earth and wave to him happily, thus showing they're just your typical best friends albeit with godly powers). The one who made the most impression, though, was Lady Sif played by Jaimie Alexander, who kicks just as much ar$e as the 'Warriors Three' but isn't just a 'tough chick', as she also displays real emotion...especially for Thor, as evidenced by her beaming smile when his powers are fully restored after his self-sacrifice. I found the moment where he looked to have been dealt a fatal blow by a giant metal energy beam-shooting robot called the Destroyer (the noisiest damn thing I've heard at the cinema in a LONG time) emotionally impactful (the music also helped). Anthony Hopkins commands the screen whenever he appears, though spends the latter half out of commission. Loki, meanwhile, I thought was an okay villain. I know he's got his fanboys/fangirls, but I personally found his character to be the typical jealous brother with daddy issues and I grew tired of shouty moments. His helmet left a bigger impression on me than he did.

What the film excels at is the visuals. Asgard is truly a wonder to behold. There's a rainbow bridge, the city looks like a giant golden pipe organ, and the way they travel to Earth is particularly memorable. Then there's the fights Thor gets into. Everything from fearsome battles with Frost Giants on Asgard to rough & tumble fist fights in the mud with burly humans on Earth, taking on the Destroyer (despite all odds against him), and finally his inevitable fight against Loki at the end. The film certainly has no shortage of fight scenes, each one well-done/different from the last. When Thor finally regains his powers and once again wields his mighty hammer, Mjölnir (which Darcy hilariously calls 'Mew Mew'), aka the BEST. WEAPON. EVER...it's quite the sight to behold.

Kenneth Branagh's direction is a large part of what makes this film so good (even if he tends to overuse the 'Dutch angle' camera shot). The costumes look great and the movie manages to make them, as well as the Frost Giants, not be laughable in appearance. Apart from the look of the film, what also helps it feel epic is the score. The music adds SO much, being majestic/memorable, and I also liked the rockin' end credits song. Speaking of the end credits, as with previous MCU films, there's an extra post-credits scene. For a film I hadn't given much thought to, it was a delightful surprise to find myself thoroughly enjoying Thor. It's a comic book movie that stands out from a lot that have come before, and is genuinely entertaining on all accounts. I, for one, can't wait to see more of ol' Blondebeard.
29 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect popcorn entertainer...
Bioscopic_Wonders28 June 2020
The Marvel magic continues with Thor, as they create yet another throrouly enjoyable, fun, action packed and humourous adventure, where we're introduced to a bigger universe extending far beyond Earths realm.

What this movie does perfectly is ground the characters, and link them to our reality so that even though we're dealing with the mystical Frost Giants or the humoungous Destroyer, the characters do not appear other worldly or over powered to the existing superheroes.

The visuals are captivating, whether it be the splendours of Asgard or the chilly Jotunheim, the CGI is excellent. The story is crisply told, fast paced and simple, taking us across the realms and giving us a background to some really interesting, well written and well portrayed characters.

Chris Hemsworth nails the role of Thor with this charm, comic timing and of course good looks. He brings across the carefree, impulsive Thor while also showing a compassionate, gentle side to the character who'd otherwise have been all brawn and no brain.

Antony Hopkins is brilliant as ever, playing Odin Allfather with all the gravitas that the ruler of the nine realms should possess. He shows his steely, ruthless side, as well as his soft, wise nature with elan.

With Tom Hiddleston Marvel have struck gold when it comes to antagonist. His portrayal of Loki is by far the best negative character in the Marvel universe thus far. The God of mischief oozes charisma and brings out his underlying conflicts to perfection.

Natalie Portman and Stellan Skarsgard play important roles in helping Thor in his transformational journey, and we get small bits and pieces of Idris Elba and Jeremy Renners Heimdall and Hawkeye with a hope that they'd play meatier parts in future movies.

The action sequences are frequent and fun, there's a lot of humour, especially as Thor adjusts to the ways of the Earth and it keeps you engaged from the start to the end.

All in all, this film provides a perfect introduction to other worldly elements to be incorporated later in the MCU while managing to hold its own as a spectacle.

It may not be on par with Iron Man when it comes to a deep, rich story line, but it's the closest a movie in the MCU has come so far in touching those grand heights.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Distracting spectacle but disappointingly empty of ideas and full of franchise "stuff" (mild SPOILERS)
bob the moo21 September 2011
I had heard a lot of good things about this film before I eventually saw it. I had decided that I wasn't going to go and pay loads of money to sit in noisy cinemas and be bombarded with disappointing blockbusters this summer, but I figured that this had enough good word of mouth to be worth seeing. After watching it I browsed through the user comments here of writers I generally trust and found that most of them had loved it too; so why did I find it to be all a lot of fuss and nonsense that ultimately amounts to very little?

I came to Thor with some worries despite the good word of mouth, I never cared for the character generally and he always seemed a little silly to me, with the Nordic god dialogue just making it worse. As a result I guess the script could have been worse because it would have been bogged down in this stuff but it never was, however this is not to say that it worked well. What it does is take us from point A to point B without ever really doing a huge amount of interest. It has enough humour in to stop it being too serious, but not enough to actually be light and fun. It has enough character in it to avoid it feeling wooden, but not enough to make one care. It has enough drama in it to set up the action, but not enough to provide actual tension or a sense of danger. To me it didn't seem to do anything in particular. I was looking for more sport to be made of this silly God once he was on earth but it didn't happen. In particular I was looking for Loki to be a more interesting "baddie" since he could have been a tragic, haunted character – but we don't see this outside of his actions.

This all came together for me to limit my interest in what was going on. The stuff in the heavens was all too full of mock Shakespearean shouting but without dramatic substance, while the stuff on Earth was too fleeting and lacking fun and entertainment value. For sure the film provides spectacle but again I just found it to be rather hollow as I watched it, enjoying it for the noise but not much else. The cast are varied. Although limited, Hemsworth is well-cast because he has the body and big voice to fill the character. He needed a good opposite number though and in Hiddleston he doesn't have it – he doesn't have the presence needed or the depth of character. Portman has almost nothing to do and it shows in her performance, she is here for the sake of it and you could have digitally removed her from this film and made no difference to it. Ditto Skarsgård– at least Dennings provided some light relief. Hopkins adds a bit of gravitas to proceedings, while Elba has the frame and voice for his character. Like everyone else it surprises me still to think this was directed by Kenneth Branagh, but it is a smart career move for him to show he can do big budget effects movies – if it does nothing else, it shows that.

Thor feels like a film that had to be made rather than one that was created on its own merits. Of course, as part of The Avengers, this is true but it is irritating that you feel that way while watching it. It has noise and spectacle for those looking for that, but it lacks too much in the way of character, danger, humour and good old fashioned entertainment. You know when you buy a new product and the first few days it is shiny and great but then, in using it you spot lots of gaps and think "why didn't they do this?" and "why did they not expand this function?" – well Thor is that product, shiny and noisy but ultimately one is left wondering why the makers didn't do a lot more in some regards and a lot less in others. Not an awful film – but just a bog-standard one with a massive effects budget.
34 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertainment At It's Best!
namashi_129 April 2011
Based on comic book character of the same name published by Marvel Comics, 'Thor' is Entertainment At It's Best! Put on your 3D glasses, and I can assure you, your in for a roller-coaster ride, that is filled with stunning effects, entertaining moments & intriguing performances.

Directed by Kenneth Branagh, 'Thor' tells the story Thor, The god of thunder based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name. It's the Journey of Thor, the powerful, arrogant yet heroic character, that is the latest addition to the host of Superheroes.

The Writing is Spot-On from start to end. In fact, Thor and his entire motivations, powers & ark, come out wonderfully. The Action Sequences are bombastic, while the Special Effects, as mentioned before, are stunning and come as a pleasure to your eyes. The 3D impact is definitely not missing here, as there are truly clap-worthy moments that look even more bigger due to the glasses on.

Kenneth Branagh's directs this Heroic tale, efficiently. And He is blessed with a catchy storyline & rich special effects. Cinematography is picture-perfect. Editing is good.

Performance-Wise: Chris Hemsworth as Thor, is awesome and carries the film on his shoulders from start to end. He is indeed a mega-star in the coming time. Natalie Portman is very sincere. Sir Anthony Hopkins is okay, while Tom Hiddleston is every effective as the bad guy. Stellan Skarsgård & Kat Dennings are passable. Ray Stevenson, Idris Elba, Colm Feore & Joshua Dallas leave a mark. Rene Russo gets limited scope.

On the whole, Don't give 'Thor' a miss. This one's a winner all the way!
68 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thunder? More smoke and mirrors
adrongardner13 September 2011
Plain and simple - when the humans show up the movie dies a slow death.

It's a superhero movie so you know what the plot is. Hero comes to Earth to help humans. They're basically riffing Superman to the Nth degree here. But on to the important stuff...

What the heck is Natalie Portman doing in this movie. I mean that in two ways. First why is she even in the movie? Second, what did she do other than stand there and let her hair be blown around by the off screen wind machines? It felt like all of her scenes were filmed in one day and she looks so bored in all of them. Chris Hemsworth was fine as Thor and Hopkins played a good Odin, but it was the human characters that kill this one.

At least Branagh threw in Skarsgard for the Swede inside joke. But as usual Stellan Skarsgard is totally wasted. After Insomnia I was just in awe of what the man is truly capable of and here in the states they always use him as a window curtain.

I didn't mind the first act all that much, but for a movie about the GOD OF THUNDER, it comes off surprisingly meek.
39 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kenneth Branagh adds heavy dramatic depth to an already quite-unusual superhero flick
dvc51596 May 2011
Alright, back when this was into preproduction, I (and so many comic book fans) were surprised when Branagh was slated to direct. Here we have Thor the god of lightning and his mighty hammer, directed by a man who works mostly around William Shakespeare plays.

Thankfully, this helps. A lot.

Almost every superhero movie (Marvel, lately) focuses on more action instead of character development. Sure, they may look awesome, but you get used to it. Branagh bravely steers away from this predicament and directs the actors with such skill and flair you may mistake this film for yet another Branagh/Shakespeare costume epic.

Make no mistake this is still a superhero film, with some nice special effects and a stylish production design for Asgard, but there's a nice human twist to the story - that of dueling brothers, or gods, or god- brothers... you get the idea. Chris Hemsworth looks just about right for the part and shows some charisma as well as the hero. Branagh has assembled an interesting mix of actors - we have the great Anthony Hopkins, the cute Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba and even Rene Russo. Tom Hiddleston however steals the scene as the mischievous brother Loki.

Here's another good thing about the movie - the story and acting outweigh the special effects and action sequences. For a superhero film, this is extremely rare. Branagh deserves kudos for the effort, however some parts do not gel in nicely and there's some action bits that are not too well-filmed.

All is forgiven though - "Thor" is an above-average superhero movie, not extremely exciting, but definitely intriguing. Fans of both comic book films and costume dramas will certainly enjoy this.

Two words of caution - one, keep an eye out for some cameos, both during and after the film. Two, for goodness sake do not watch it in 3D. I saw it in normal 2D and that's fine enough by me. I didn't see anything worth watching in 3D in it.

Overall rating: 68/100
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thrilling blend of action and drama- with some comedy thrown in for good measure- Marvel's latest superhero addition is perfect summer entertainment
moviexclusive29 April 2011
The Norse god Thor is admittedly one of Marvel's second-league superheroes, but just like Iron Man, both are inevitable steps in Marvel's continuing march towards arguably the most highly anticipated comic book adaptation in movie history next year- "The Avengers". Yet, if there's anything to learn from the "Iron Man" experience, it's that it's entirely possible to turn a B-league superhero into an A-grade feature film with just the right star and the right director. And kudos to the Marvel team for doing it once again with "Thor", a thoroughly entertaining blockbuster of a film that succeeds thanks to the unlikely choices of Kenneth Branagh as director and Chris Hemsworth as the star of the titular character. Kenneth is the English director best known as cinema's foremost exponent of the Bard, while Chris is the Australian actor probably only known as the father to James T. Kirk in last year's "Star Trek". Both are equally unlikely choices to headline this US$150mil tentpole, though Marvel's gamble has paid off handsomely. Unlike Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, or for that matter the upcoming Captain America who were products of science, Thor was the hammer- wielding alien-god who was always going to be a tricky proposition adapting for the big screen. After all, the combination of Norse mythology and science fiction could easily have degenerated into kitschy camp, so it's a good thing that Kenneth knows when to get serious and when to have fun. He films the scenes of Thor in his homeland Asgard with the utmost gravitas, while leaving the humour for his brief fish- out-of-water stint on Earth. Indeed, Kenneth handles the power feuds and sibling rivalry with the same intensity as he would a Shakespearian production, and brings a deeply human perspective to his godly characters. In particular, the tussle between father and sons is emotionally charged- whether Odin's heartbreak at banishing his son Thor, whom he was about to coronate as king, out of the kingdom for arrogantly and impetuously reigniting a war with an ancient enemy; or Loki's confrontation with Odin about his true origins- and therefore electrifying to watch. To add weight to the proceedings at Asgard, Kenneth brings in two excellent character actors alongside Chris- Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston. Anthony's patriarchal role isn't new for the actor, but he delivers a restrained yet powerful and dignified performance as Thor's father Odin. Tom, on the other hand, is deliciously snarky playing the sibling jealous of Thor's impending ascension to the throne, and the British actor gives a surprisingly intimate and affecting villainous turn that brings unexpected depth to his character. In contrast to the godly solemnity, Kenneth brings some welcome Earthly humour to Thor's subsequent banishment. The trio of scriptwriters Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne (working from an effective origin story by J. Michael Straczynski and Mark Protosevich) reserve the movie's wittiest lines for Thor's interplay with three mortal beings- astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), her gal-pal/assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) and Jane's mentor, Dr. Erik Sevig (Stellan Skarsgard), while Kenneth directs Thor's awkward adjustment to life on Earth (an absolutely hilarious scene has Thor storming into a pet store and asking for a horse to go about his mission to find his mysterious magical hammer Mjolnir) with just the right amount of infectious fun. There's also an intercelestial romance thrown in for good measure, as Thor and Jane develop a growing attraction for each other. But more than just obligatory, the love between god and human becomes a lesson in humility and self-sacrifice for the fallen Thor to pave his restoration back to glory. Though thinly written, Portman makes the best out of her role, and it is to her credit that Jane becomes an engaging and believable character that the audience roots for. Portman also shares a warm chemistry with Chris, which brings poignancy to their relationship as well as Thor's subsequent transformation. Thor's time on Earth is also used to forge the necessary narrative links with "The Avengers", in the form of Clark Gregg's S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Coulson, an unbilled cameo by Jeremy Renner as the archer Hawkeye, and Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury appearance right at the end of the credits. Fans of the Thor universe from the comic books will also delight in the awe-inspiring presence of Heimdall (Idris Elba), as well as Thor's entourage of Asgard warrior pals Sif (Jaimie Alexander), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Fandral (Josh Dallas), and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano). These pals also add colour to the action sequences, which Kenneth choreographs with surprising aplomb. He stages a thunderous battle very early on as Thor leads an attack against the Frost Giants on the planet of Jotunheim with every bit of might and muscle one would expect from a clash of godly beings. There are at least two other money sequences- Thor's duel with a hulking piece of metal known as the Destroyer (which Coulson first tongue-in-cheek mistakes to be one of Stark's equipment) in a small New Mexico town; and the thrilling climactic battle between Thor and Loki back on Asgard. But the star that holds it all together is really Chris Hemsworth, his performance a well-calibrated blend of brawn and heart that will put sceptics to rest. His physicality is apparent right from the start, but Chris gradually reveals a winning charm and a heartfelt sincerity that enables his audience to relate with his character's inner struggles. It is a breakout star-making turn, which shows Chris adept at action, comedy and even romance. And certainly, it is to Kenneth Branagh's credit that these disparate elements can belong so comfortably in a movie that also combines mythology and science fiction. True to its origins, "Thor" is nothing less than superhero entertainment, and a definitive A-list one -despite the initial regard of its source character- that kicks off this summer with a bang, boom and rumble.
39 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter garbage written around SFX
ocacia7 May 2011
Did professionals write this film? Did Antony really read the script or did he just see the figures in the contract? I think Nat and Tony need new agents, because you do not go from Silence of lamb and Black Swan *respectively* to this utter junk.

I do not know what other people saw but there is nothing good or unique in this film. The special effects actually made me tired. And lets talk about the story? My Lord, where was it and when did it begin. I got the feeling that the script was written after the action sequences were planned. They therefore said we want this effect and this effect now lets write a film around that. We need to use up Nat so lets force a romance into the script. We want jokes, so lets force a few of those in there. So much dead space in the film that doesn't arch into anything.scenes seem random and disconnected, like writing in junk to get it to a feature length time. drifting focus, drifting priorities. And no great moments that saved the film.

Also it is an overnight transformation from utter arrgoance to humility. Does anyone identify with any characters here? Did you understand the brothers motives? Makes no real sense in the real world. Did the film introduce anything for anyone to attach themselves to emotionally? No. Characters appear in odd order without any development. Actually while I am here typing I just realized something : This film is below the dignity of critique. It is so poor, so badly directed and written that to even point out the weak character development or random script turns give too much credit to it. I will therefore cease to add speak about it for fear of giving someone the illusion that there is anything to actually speak about in terms of artistic critique.
236 out of 454 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superhero movie that sets the standard for the genre.
Enchorde1 May 2011
Being a comic book based movie, Thor comes with a special set of expectations. Good action, a myth based story of heroes, high level of special effects, and some quick one-liners. Thor meets and in my opinion surpasses all these expectations.

Actually, Thor, is a really good, entertaining movie. It is two hour pure entertainment, handled skillfully by Kenneth Branagh. That gives the best of two worlds, the supernatural story combined with the touch by acclaimed director and actor Branagh.

But Branagh has had good help on this one. Especially the effect makers has had great success. I loved how they portrayed Asgard, and they handled all the effects very well. Apart from being entertaining, Thor is also impressive and surprisingly rather beautiful. The casting department also has made a great job. Combining solid veteran actors as Hopkins, Portman and Skarsgård with virtual newcomers as Hemsworth and Dallas. Hemsworth is well casted as Thor, having both the right physique, looks and talent to deliver such a role. Hiddleston as Loki was a good choice as well. But the gem among the characters, and a personal favorite must be Idris Elba as Heimdall.

Well, the main thing anyhow is that Thor is an action filled movie spiced up with some good humor. It had both thrilling fights and good laughs. And it stood upon a good story as framework. As I said above, it was entertaining all the way.

I like the tie-ins with the other superhero movies released and look forward to seeing the Avengers, but I also hope that Thor itself might get a sequel. They certainly laid the ground work for one.

25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thunderously good entertainment !
janus-2025 April 2011
Straight to the point, this was not only one of the better ones, its one of the few really good ones. I'm sure anyone reading this knows what i'm getting at, they either get these right or they get them wrong. Well this ones right, very right, from start to finish, epic, spectacular, warm, funny, action packed.

The story draws you in, the characters are likable, the pace is just right, doesn't race along, but doesn't plod either. Great cast, particularly Chris Hemsworth, if Captain America and Green Lantern can keep up this standard then it'll be a good summer season.

Ken's pulled it all together. Go and watch it, i cant imagine you wont enjoy it and if you think i'm being paid to say this then get stuffed !!
166 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful Family Dynamic and Beautiful Landscape
featheredsun8 September 2011
This is a throw-off piece of Marvel fiction that is packed full of cliché and predictability...to a point.

I found myself cringing at a lot of the scenes of heroism and there's a definite stink of pure cheetos-stained fanboyism in many of the scenes in general, with the usual over-the-top "glory" of this old four-color trope.

But certain things caught my attention as well-done.

First, Asgard is absolutely beautiful. They went all out in making a realm of metallic and elemental grandeur. I had no trouble in buying this as the realm of Asgard, the ultimate land of beautiful heroism. In particular, the rainbow bridge, the weaponry, and the interior scenes were very fitting in general style and specific detail. Very impressive visually and even thematically.

Second, Branagh's touch can be seen with Shakespearean flair in the family of Odin the AllFather. Odin himself is brimmed with both the rime of age and the wisdom that comes with it and yet his voice can instantly summon fearful authority. Hopkins does well with that balance, even through some cheesy scripting.

And the brothers... the sibling rivalry here is very very potent in that it is nuanced and fully realized by both actors. There is love there, but also a lack of understanding, envy, and hate. Loki is far from a cardboard villain, in that we see, all in one package - a fighter who protects his allies, an honest counselor, a liar, a cautious thinker, a smooth tongue, and an awkward one. He loves and reveres his father, but comes to almost fatally doubt him and even hate him...but it's all very real and very stirring. And even when it's clear that he's done very grim deeds, you can actually understand and accept his motives...and his last scene in the film brings all three of the family men together in a very poignant moment of utter loss.

I was pretty surprised how moving this all was, especially when put in the middle of some otherwise-uninspiring hero pablem.

So in summary, this movie both met my negative expectation of disappointment and surprised me with some purely moving content. See it to see if it surprises you at all as well, and forget the whole comic-book hero thing, since that's been done far better.

Thanks for reading.
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Continues to Build Up the Momentum for The Avengers
estebangonzalez102 May 2011
¨Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.¨ With Thor, summer movies have officially started in Hollywood. It's not one of my favorite seasons of the year for films, but if the rest of the movies can live up to what Kenneth Branagh has accomplished with Thor it will be an exciting and entertaining season at the movies. I wasn't a huge fan of Thor before this movie came out, I wasn't even expecting too much out of it, but I decided to go see it because he's still one of The Avengers and I couldn't miss out on all the propaganda that began with Iron Man. With each one of these films my expectations for The Avengers is rapidly building, and even Thor managed to win me over to his side. The first thing I can say about the movie is that it was entertaining enough for me to want to go see it twice in two days. The story, the visuals, the strong performance from two relatively unknown actors like Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are all factors that contribute to making this movie successful. Include Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins into the mix and you have an even better film. The directing had a lot to do with it as well because Kenneth Branagh is a serious and dedicated director; he has proved it time after time with his adaptations of Shakespearean plays. He was dedicated with this project as well; adapted this Marvel comic superhero and prepared him for the big screen. Like most every Marvel character, they are very well developed and the film is no exception remaining true to the comic.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is the son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) the god of Asgard. He is a great warrior and his father has been preparing him to be the future King of Asgard. It is no easy task because Asgardians are the keepers of the peace in all nine realms (Earth being one of those realms). They can travel from one realm to another through the Forest which is guarded by Heimdall (Idris Elba). Odin saved Earth from extinction many centuries ago when the Frost Giants tried to destroy the planet. Odin defeated them and took away their power so they could no longer leave their planet, Jotunheimr. Odin has kept the peace during all these years but now it's time to proclaim Thor as his heir to the throne. On the day of his proclamation something unexpected occurs and three Frost Giants manage to enter Asgard and almost steal the cube which holds their power. However The Destroyer does his job and kills the invaders before they can do any harm. Thor is furious and wants to give the Giants a lesson, but Odin wants to maintain peace and orders Thor to remain in Asgard. Against his father's command Thor travels to Jotunheimr with his younger brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the 3 warriors: Volstagg, Hogun, and Fandral, and Sif (Jaime Alexander). Together they face the Giants who tell them there is a traitor in Asgard. Odin discovers that Thor disobeyed his command, rescues the warriors from the Frost Giants but vanishes Thor to Earth without his supernatural powers. In Earth Thor meets a group of scientists: Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard), Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), and Darcy (Kat Dennings) who help him rediscover his path.

I can imagine how difficult it was to try to make a serious movie out of all this Norse mythology about the nine realms and so on, but Branagh pulls it off by combining humor with the story. For instance when the three warriors come to Earth to find Thor, the unbelievable situation is toned down with a lot of humor. The same can be said with the Destroyer when he arrives at Earth to try to destroy Thor. When the SHIELD agents first see this metal giant they believe it could be one of Stark's creations. So whenever the plot seems to be getting ridiculous, the tone of the film is cooled down with a lot of humor. The funniest character is Darcy who with clever one-liners manages to steal most laughs. I liked Kat Dennings in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but here once more she proves she is a talented actress. The true stars of the film however are Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth plays Thor to perfection, and Hiddleston is excellent as Loki. The scene where he realizes his true identity is perhaps one of the most dramatic and best acted sequences in the movie. I know we are being bombarded with a lot of superhero movies, but as long as they keep on making them this entertaining I have no problem with that. Thor is no Dark Knight, or even Iron Man for that matter, but it still is a very good film. I will end my review by quoting my six year old brother's words after the movie ended: ¨I don't want to have an Iron Man party for my birthday anymore. I want it to be Thor!¨ http://estebueno10.blogspot.com/
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hammer Time!
billygoat10718 May 2011
In "Thor", I don't think the action is the big deal here while it's a movie from Marvel. Kenneth Branagh is more fond to tell the story, which is a better thing. The changes of the story of "Thor" is very fascinating. It's not a generic superhero movie that has a weak man becoming a superhuman then ends with a lot of action mess. It's more of a compelling drama fantasy with a little action and a lot more sense. "Thor" has some problems with the action but who cares, it's definitely great & entertaining.

First goes to the performances. Chris Hemsworth hams it up (no pun intended. he really did) although he is quite entertaining. Anthony Hopkins, he made Odin more than what we expect him to do. Tom Hiddleston's portrayal made Loki the best villain in the universe of the Avengers so far.

The action of the first act was pretty good. Plodding at times but when it comes to earth scenes, it's becoming somewhat unexpectedly boring. Kenneth Branagh has problems in making some of the action scenes but he has the heart to tell the story. It's amazing how the changed story and the performance are more mind-blowing than the action since this is a superhero movie. As you expected in a Marvel movie, "Thor" is hilarious at times.

While some of the action scenes weren't mind-blowing, The visuals were good. Asgard is beautifully made by the effects and the solid production design. Some of the effects are like video game graphics though. The cinematography has a tilted camera style to make it a better experience to the movie. The score is your standard fantasy music.

"Thor" is a little disappointing but it's still good because it's compelling. It's not an ordinary superhero movie. It's a drama fantasy movie with true depth. The storytelling made it more interesting. "Thor" has more magic than superhero action. It can be one of the best superhero movies although it isn't really loyal to its superhero movie elements. "Thor" is pretty unique to its genre and it's a good Kenneth Branagh film.
43 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, but not as good as it should have been
aernest16 May 2011
Though I'm old and did read some comics in my time, Thor was never one of them. I do teach some Norse mythology, though, so that aspect interested me. There was an odd steampunk approach to the mythology, which was OK, I suppose. I really didn't expect this movie to be War and Peace, and I was certainly right on the money with that. It went for the snarky Iron Man approach more than I thought it would. It's hard to pull off without veteran snarkmeister Robert Downey, Jr., though. Chris Hemsworth is impossibly charming and good- looking in the title role, and does pretty well, considering some of the lines he had to say. Anthony Hopkins is a safe choice for his patented Older Mentor/Authority Figure performance (enjoy that check, Anthony), and Tom Hiddleston is somewhat intriguing as Loki. Stellan Skarsgard is completely wasted in a role that could have been phoned in. But you know who really stinks up the joint? Natalie Portman. It was DAMN hard to believe she was an astrophysicist, but it was even harder to believe that THOR (god of thunder, possessor of unspeakable power) would find her even remotely interesting. All she does is whine. The alleged falling in love is quite unbelievable, BTW. Yeesh. I hope the inevitable sequel loses her character.
85 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An insult to Marvel fans, movie goers, and human intelligence in general
feelinesound28 April 2011
Honestly, seeing that Branagh directed and J. Michael Straczynski wrote the script is a large part of why I went to see the movie. Plus I'm generally a big fan of Marvel and their movies.

Unfortunately it's one of the dumbest things I've seen in years, and is completely full of moronic clichés and the most superficial faux morals. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money on things that are more deserving of it, especially if you've worked hard to earn it.

Just in case you want to know what you'll be missing ---

* spoiler alert * (though really I'm giving this film a massive compliment by suggesting you could 'spoil' anything in it)

Thor's father takes his hammer away and sends him to earth for punishment. While there Thor literally changes overnight from being an arrogant, rash and violent idiot to a wise, humble and pacifist purveyor of all things noble, and the only possible reason for this that's presented in the movie is that he met Natalie Portman and was then told that his father died while he was gone. Once Thor the god of thunder completes this astonishing and instant transformation and sacrifices his life for others, his hammer flies back to him, revives him and he beats the bad guys with it.

If you really, really love Marvel movies and viking folklore (to the point where you don't mind these things being made a joke out of) and have 2.5 hours in which you'd otherwise be causing harm to humanity or this planet, go see it. Otherwise you might as well spare yourself from this glorious waste of time and brain cells.
365 out of 720 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Englishman, an Australian & a Hammer
bassrourke17 April 2011
Having just seen the global premiere of Thor - God of Thunder, in Sydney Australia, all I can say is ....wow! Don't worry readers I am not about to give away one single spoiler, however after some time and anticipation, Thor is a winner. Australian Chris Hemsworth graced the red carpet in all his native glory, talking up the film and his future entity in The Avengers. He was joined by Shakespeare aficionado Director Kenneth Brangh and co stars Jamie Alexander & Tom Hiddleston who plays crowd favourite Loki. Thor is a good movie, plenty of action, a lovely heroine (Natalie Portman) and some interesting sidekicks. Costumes rock, not to mention the obligatory Marvel characters making significant cameos, not just the extra scene after the credits, but within the film itself. I was a little over superhero movies recently but this is not to be missed.
86 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It will blow you away.....unless you are dead!
planktonrules5 May 2011
I had very low expectations for this movie when my daughter dragged me to the 12:01am showing of "Thor" on opening night here in the States. After all, I've never read the comic and there didn't seem to be all that much publicity concerning this film--and I just thought it would be one of Marvel's lesser films. However, when the film began I was absolutely blown away. It had to be the most beautiful and mind-blowing superhero film ever--with gorgeous visuals of other worlds that even sci-fi films haven't come close to matching. And, combined with nice 3-D effects and an exceptional score, you just turn off your brain and absorb it all--like some sort of mind-altering drug! And speaking of the score, while the "Iron Man" soundtracks were great (with LOTS of great AC/DC tunes among others), "Thor" chose instead to mostly use original compositions--and they were gorgeous.

Fortunately, in addition to the gorgeous visuals and music, the film had a very good story, nice acting and great direction--by none other than Kenneth Branagh (yes THAT Kenneth Branagh). I also admire the script--it had a lot of excitement and occasional humor that made the film more than just an action film crammed with amazing stunts. Well done--and hopefully the film will catch on--it deserves to do very, very well. I'd say this one was about on par with "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" in quality and entertainment value--proving that even film snobs like me can enjoy some good escapist entertainment now and again.

By the way, I did have one complaint about the film. It had among the most obvious and annoying product placement I've ever seen. I got absolutely sick of seeing 7-11, Southwest Airline and Kashi crammed onto the screen. Could Paramount Studio do any worse to whore out this film?! For shame, as the film was terrific but was cheapened a bit by this crass corporate decision. Oh well, at least they weren't paid to place laxatives or hemorrhoid creams in the film!
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Me Thor, You Jane
bkoganbing27 May 2011
The Marvel Comic hero Thor of course based on the ancient Norse God of Thunder comes to the big screen in a fine version with very nice computer graphic special effects. And it has the added attraction of a classical actor like Kenneth Branagh directing and having the lines of the Norse immortals spoken as if the Bard had written them.

As played by Chris Hemsworth, Thor's been exiled to Earth, the last time he visited there was when the ancient Norse were worshiping him and other such beings who visited from Asgaard. Thor's a warrior, but it takes more than being mighty in battle to rule as his father Odin keeps patiently trying to tell him.

Anthony Hopkins another actor with classical acting chops plays Odin and I wonder if Hopkins might have envied Laurence Olivier for getting the plum role of Zeus in a film. He's now equaled him in playing another immortal deity.

Thor lands on Earth, New Mexico to be specific and runs into scientific researcher Jane and she tickles his fancy the same way that other Jane rang Tarzan's bell. Natalie Portman is the object of Hemsworth's affections.

But back on Asgaard Thor's brother Loki as played by Tom Higglesworth is plotting a palace coup of his own. That leads to a really spectacular fight to the finish as Thor's mighty hammer gives a few folks an attitude adjustment.

Branagh served up a fine tasty dish for those who like their comic book heroes. Hopefully we'll see these folks again in some further adventures.
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.