Asuka, haunted by childhood memories of her mother's suicide and a notion that she "lost" to Shinji in the previous battle, begins to lose her precious self-confidence as a pilot. A new Angel appears in space and invades Asuka's psyche through a strange beam of light, rendering her helpless.
Did You Know?
A different version of "Fly Me to the Moon" is played in each episode. See more
Changes and additions present in the "Director's Cut" version:
- There are minor animation improvements in various scenes.
- In a new opening scene (set the night before the events of episode 8), Asuka and Kaji converse about their futures.
- The normal opening theme sequence is not shown.
- A scene features Asuka unsuccessfully phoning Kaji and staring at Shinji and Rei enviously.
- A scene depicts Asuka naked by the bathtub, angrily expressing her hatred for Misato, Rei and Shinji to herself.
- There is an extended set of scenes with Asuka's thoughts as her mind is being contaminated by the Angel.
- Lilith's lower torso and legs are regenerated after EVA-00 removes the Lance of Longinus.
- The Lance is shown striking the Angel's AT Field and expanding itself before finally shooting through the Angel's body.
- The Lance no longer merely floats in space; it also spins.
Fly Me to the Moon (Aya Bossa Techno Version)
Performed by Kaoru Morota
Music and Lyrics by Bart Howard
Arrangement by Toshiyuki Ômori See more