Flawless (2007) Poster

(2007)

Not quite flawless, but quite a little gem
Simon_Says_Movies8 January 2009
Flawless? Not Quite, but it is certainly a little heist gem. This year, with so far a fairly disappointing turnout of high calibre movies, a very narrow niche has been reinvigorated. That little slice of the celluloid pie (mmmm, sounds good) belongs to the British heist flick. With The Bank Job, and now with Flawless, this could mark the beginning of a revamp of all capper films to follow. Or at least we can hope.

Directed by Michael Radford, who has had little mainstream acknowledgment, (save perhaps the star studded Merchant of Venice) makes his shove into the limelight with a film although never destined to make the big bucks, hopefully at least will be sought out by some. Similarly to The Bank Job, Flawless concentrates more on atmosphere and character development then flashy drawn out robbery sequences, although that can most defiantly be rewarding, as seen in The Italian Job. The opening sequence is a hybrid of Blood Diamond and Lord of War, showing the journey of a diamond from a muddy African field to a throne atop a ladies dainty finger. This film has similar political views to that of Blood Diamond, and such morals are imbedded into multiple facets of the story. It also has elements of Pay it Forward, numerous cat and mouse thrillers, even a scene reminiscent of the opening monologue of Titanic. But as such, Flawless never rips of any of these films, and instead, combines a number of classic elements to create a riveting and original picture.

Most heist films either follow a straightforward narrative, where we follow key characters as they assemble their teams, and carry out the theft or, the other broad characterization is to opt for a scattered chronology, beginning with the hero in prison, where their fate is (sometimes) certain. Flawless manages to incorporate wisps' of both these narrative flows, and is better off because of it. Set in 60's London, we meet Michael Caine, who plays janitor "Mr Hobbs", a 15-year veteran employee of the largest supplier of diamonds at the time, The London Diamond Corporation. Still coping with the loss of his wife, he recruits the help of American Laura Quinn (Demi Moore), who is a sour senior administrator; sour because she has been passed up for promotion one too many times. (In addition to the fact that she learns she will be terminated shortly) Using their opposite shift work and positions to their advantage, they plan to steal enough diamonds to live their lives out in comfort.

Demi Moore has never been much of an actress, but despite her slipping English accent, she gives probably her best performance to date, fading into her role, and for once, playing a character that looks their age. The problem with her character is not with Moore's performance but with how she is presented; unsympathetic and shrill. She always seems unwilling and bitchy, which could be partly due to the stark contrast between Moore and her male counterpart's composure and cool. That "male" of course being Michael Caine, who is solid as always and makes for a very atypical criminal which is part of the films charm. He is sweet, old and can barely walk, but his history (which does not include training for a career in janitorial work) makes him a formidable foe. We get nice supporting work from the always devilish Lambert Wilson, who we all remember as The Merovingian from The Matrix Reloaded, as the internal investigator and from Joss Ackland as one of London Diamond's heads and who is a powerfully menacing figure. (He played Arjen Rudd, the evil African diplomat in Lethal Weapon II)

Flawless has a good feel for the times, in reference to the setting, clothing, dialogue, etc. The inevitable twist that is associated with almost all heist films stands alone in its uniqueness, which you will have to see to truly understand why it is different. Director Radford gives us some powerful sequences; one which perfectly captures the political intentions of the film involves Michael Caine's character tossing one of the largest cut diamonds in the world into a bin of tiny uncut stones, which the executives wouldn't floss their teeth with. It is a vivid reminder of what diamonds really are, and what we are willing to give and do for such.

Destined to be a ghost in the theatres, this is definitely a film to scrounge for on DVD shelves. Presenting emotionally charged and involving performances and extracting a blind-siding twist from a source which I though must have been drained years ago, Flawless is a solid and intellectually stimulating movie experience.

View all my reviews at Simon Says Movie Reviews: www.simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com
39 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
flawless indeed
Josh Kaplan18 January 2008
Everything works in this movie : The direction, the acting, the shooting, the story and the script - one commentators claimed that it was limited and one dimensional but it is quite on the contrary : the script was written very elegantly with quite a lot of subtelties and these would probably be missed by those who are used the usual wham bahm great Hollywood films.

The only (small) flaw in the film was its so called "feministic" flavour, it was completely unnecessary - any, if all, "politically correct messages", would have been understood from the story itself - there was no need to shove it in the audience face.

All in all this movie is intelligent, interesting and exciting. I highly recommend it.
122 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Terrific Little Heist Movie
john9073 October 2007
I just watch this movie last night and let me say that I thought the movie was terrific. Since the movie hasn't even premiered in the US or Europe, I was hesitated because there were no reviews at all out there. But I'm glad to say that I enjoyed every minute of it.

The story is set in the 1960s, so don't expect the heist to be high-tech or complicated like the Ocean's series, Entrapment or The Italian Job. The real gem in the movie is the way it explains itself, all in good timing - it's nice to see a movie that still makes its viewers guessing.

Demi Moore and Michael Caine did a good job, and so is the supporting characters, played by Lambert Wilson and Joss Ackland. I am surprised however that Demi Moore can carried the whole movie, she was practically almost in every scene, and she proved that given the right material, she can make the viewers empathize with her. I certainly felt cheated, nervous and uneasy during the last half of the film, just like her character did.

If you appreciate a smart, subtle and entertaining movie, this is the movie for you. I highly recommend it!
87 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Michael Caine Stars In Excellent Crime Drama
lambypie20 March 2008
I recall some woefully erroneous movie critic writing about Michael Caine in the late 1960s that Caine was the sort of actor whose career would have three brief stages: 1. Get me Michael Caine; 2. Get me a Michael Caine type; 3. Who is Michael Caine? Needless to say, that movie critic is now long gone and forgotten, while Michael Caine has simply gotten better and better, aging like fine wine. This is not a big "message" movie, or a huge budget extravaganza, but rather it is an extremely well-made and entertaining and suspenseful crime film with very human characters you can really care about. It is set in 1960 England, in which Caine, a janitor, attempts a spectacular robbery of precious jewels. With the able support of Demi Moore, in one of her best performances, and the fine direction of Michael Radford, and a wonderful attention to the little details that make a film so much better, FLAWLESS is very much worth the price of admission. And Mr. Caine, with his finely nuanced performance, a man who can make a glance or a subtle movement speak more than a ton of histrionics by lesser actors, is topping the bill. Need I say more?
65 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
gem of a heist movie
eagleroost31 August 2008
If you are looking for car chases, kidnappings, and violence- you won't like this little gem (can't resist the pun) of a heist movie. Instead you have a clever plot that unwinds in small and subtle bits, like a trail of bread crumbs. Just when you think you have it figured out, another quiet twist sets your theories spinning again.

It keeps you on the edge of your seat, not because you are afraid of the next gun fight or bomb blast (there are none) but because you care about the characters and what happens to them. The casting is perfect, with Moore as the smart, strong, but emotionally stoic diamond manager; and Caine as the simple janitor with a brilliant plan. It was refreshing to have the "relationship" between the male and female lead not be a romantic one- there are so many more dimensions to human interactions.

While this movie is appropriate for the whole family, it may be too subtle to hold the interest of younger audiences. Also its themes- a woman in a man's world, career disappointment, mourning a lost love- are not themes that children relate to. A movie my boyfriend and I both enjoyed.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Caine once Again shows his Talent
borncliche19 January 2008
This is a well done film with Michael Caine and the not so young Demi Moore. Regardless of their ages, the depth of the characters puts together a timid plot to make an enjoyable film, with a feel good film/ story. Okay for a night to replace boredom with small laughing outbursts on the quirkiness of subtle underlying jokes. It is a slow movie to begin, and is so through out the rest of it, but it does it in such a way to continue the growing curiosity and find out the sum of the show from the small twists and plays of the storyline. It is mostly the lovable character (Caine) that keeps the viewer involved so deeply in the story, also his lost but not forgotten past. It leads to a cliché ending but still very acceptable in my view. And the actor whom plays Mr.Finch also plays the Merovingian from The Matrix. A small plus to see his acting career develop and hopefully become more mainstream.
57 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice Retro Caper movie
intelearts28 April 2008
Flawless is a charming, tense, and nicely executed caper movie.

I had absolutely no idea how the robbery was done until the revelation: and, like most of us, I have watched enough heist movies to quickly go "Yup, got it!", more often than not, but not here.

Excellent understated performances from Demi Moore and Michael Caine, especially in the small facial gestures when stressed and so on. The settings etc; all add to a nice retro feel. You really get a sense that they tried hard to build the 1960s into this - very buttoned-down, very regimented, a very male world.

One of the major attractions for us was that the sense of pace builds slowly - and compared to the Bank Job I have to say this is the better movie.

All in all a clever, entertaining film, with a good script and very nice central performances, and even a human message.

Definitely recommended
35 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Story, Acting, & Atmosphere combine...Flawlessly!
AudioFileZ8 June 2008
Start with two of the most reviled yet tolerated institutions: diamond broking and large insurance underwriting. Spin a story around these heartless institutions getting their "just comeuppance". Justice is served by two very different individuals who quite remarkably find themselves in this extraordinary situation. Singularly they wield no power over such old established hallmarks, yet together they bring these "takers" to their knees.

Speaking of together, Michael Caine continues his low key return to excellent work ever since Ciderhouse Rules. He's great here and surprise...Demi Moore is spot-on in her portrayal as the brilliant, yet stepped-on lone female executive who sacrificed too much before she realized too late it was for naught. These two elevate the all ready good story to great heights.

Special mention is due to the set design. It really nails the 60's-some of which I recall and all of which looks totally appropriate. The directing is most excellent too as it builds the story slowly, never revealing too much, and allows the tension to slowly mount. The movie has a quite satisfying ending that you really couldn't figure out exactly until it too was revealed. Really a great movie, highly recommended.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
first-class diamond heist drama
Roland E. Zwick19 October 2008
Set in London in 1960, the aptly named "Flawless" features Demi Moore as Laura Quinn, the first woman to become senior negotiator at Lon Di, the world's premier diamond firm. However, Quinn has pretty much hit the glass ceiling career-wise with the company, and when she discovers that she is about to be let go from the firm, she agrees to join forces with the night janitor (Michael Caine) in his plan to rob the vault of a thermos-full of uncut diamonds.

"Flawless" is a good old-fashioned caper tale done with an abundance of wit, intelligence and style and just enough twists and turns in the plot to keep the audience on its toes throughout. Moore and Caine make a perfect team as the duo plotting the heist, while director Michael Radford generates enough suspense for a dozen average thrillers. The script by Edward Anderson even manages to squeeze in some points about early '60's feminism and South African apartheid along the way.

Definitely worth seeing.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
stroke of absolute brilliance
cpp_hacker24 February 2008
Probably THE BEST heist movies without all the cutting edge gadgets and eye-candy CGIs. Brilliant execution, this movie proves again that a heist movie can be pulled off only with a good story and plot and good acting as well as direction along with camera-work. When I started to watch this movie, the first thought that came to my mind was, here we go again another heist movie with a diabolical plan or to take revenge on the company that terminated you. But don't know why, still hanged on and thank god, I did. Otherwise I would have never known how old wine can be presented in new bottle while making it more better. Hey!!! what are you still doing reading this boring comment, shuuu!!, go!!! and watch the movie.
62 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant story
msia_male16 March 2009
2 things that i want to comments here. 1st : Brilliant story. 2nd : No sex scenes. (Great to have this movie). Opening of this movie was attracted me very good with 50's background music playing along, so curious. All actors & actress role acting very solid. Me just keep on thinking how a lot of diamond can be disappear a few hours. But only one things that look not so natural was during Laura Quinn old. Her eyes look so fresh!!!..... Anyway it was a really really great story. I suggest you people out there recommend this movie very much. You will know how much your money can by. I would like to give seven out of ten for this brilliant story.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nearly flawless, but still very enjoyable!
Ryan Jafri18 March 2010
A very intelligent, heist thriller, OVERALL. Moore has aged well but is still charming as ever. Caine was terrific as usual. However, some major stereotypes occur, like the clumsy guard for instance. And some thing's don't match up, like Hobbs being the official culprit, how would they know? And why wasn't Moore's character allowed in London for 40 years if she didn't go to jail? Despite the two things mentioned above, this is a lovely film. And I mean that literally. The cinematography is beautiful. I'm so glad I caught this on Blu Ray. The production designer did a fantastic job re creating the 50's it truly had that authentic look.

I hope more people view this rarely seen gem, even though it isn't completely flawless.....
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mostly Costume Jewelry, but totally fun.
secondtake22 June 2009
Flawless (2007)

Another jewel heist film, where Michael Caine as a lovable old janitor masterminds a two- person plan. His partner in crime? Demi Moore, playing a woman who has hit the glass ceiling in the 1960 London business world. The two are working at Britain's biggest diamond merchant, a dirty, white male company with a vault the size of God (though easier to understand).

Of course, the plan is clever, close calls abound, doubts and double-crossings are timely, and glitter is everywhere. It's a fun period piece and completely enjoyable. You might say the movie is flawless if you remember its ambitions are low--it's a perfect average film, or something like that. Caine is spot on, but isn't he always a terrific Michael Caine? You can't go wrong there. And Moore is steady and consistent, the way Moore is, I guess. Nothing to write home about.

Twists? Yeah, one or two you half expect. Caine and Moore don't have sex, which is a twist of its own. Let's see. Oh, yes, Caine pulls a trick or two on Moore, who is really the dupe through it all. Come to think of it, she doesn't show too many facets as a brilliant young woman, does she? So much for feminism.

And the film does have one big flaw, after all, in the setting, not the stone. It begins and ends with a very 21st Century cocky young woman rudely interviewing an elderly Moore character, and the feminist patter is like water on a small fire. The first time, we cut to Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and the movie is off and running with a lot of style and confidence. The second time we moan as it gets improbable and silly. Between these parentheses, director Michael Radford pulls off some lighthearted fun. Which last night was all I needed.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Demi Moore YES Demi Moore is great!
bfitty25 March 2008
This is a very well told original story. The characters are interesting and complex. It is a period piece and stays very accurate in costume and set design. That alone is fun to watch. The cinematography is spell bounding and helps sell the movie. This will be an academy winner.

Demi Moore is a real surprise in this movie. She acts her age and becomes the character. You forget it is her, which is the most you can ask from an actor. This is her best work. The attention to period detail in this movie makes it a living museum piece. It opens a whole world I knew nothing about in an inviting way. The Director really created a beautiful picture. Micheal Caine produces his usual performance.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well-done heist movie.
Panterken28 January 2008
'Flawless' is a relatively conventional heist movie that offers a little extra to the genre. Some nice little themes and motives are worked into the movie and the story doesn't flow according to the conventional heist movie-scheme (planning, executing, exiting and rejoicing or being caught in the end). The heist happens early on in the movie, which gives the director a lot of time to explore the motives behind the robbery. What bugged me was that a lot of time was spent on explaining the plot, which is quite a common feature in these kinds of crime movies. I feel those parts dragged a bit and should've been cut shorter.

Otherwise, the movie was quite good, Caine entertaining as always and Demi Moore in her only good post-comeback role so far (well, I liked Mr. Brooks but she was wrong for the part).

In the end, 'Flawless' entertains and leaves the viewer feeling satisfied since it offers everything a heist movie is required to offer and more. Certainly worth a look...

7.1/10
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the better heist Films
dvdbuff-122 June 2008
Heist movies are among my favorites and this jewel (no pun intended) is among the best. Superb acting by Moore and Caine, excellent direction and a great script add to a very enjoyable movie. Too often today, movies don't take the time to develop a story or get the audience involved with the characters. This one does. The atmosphere of the film (early 60's)is extremely well created. The film has a strong jazz score which adds to the films atmosphere. This movie has an engrossing plot with no gimmicks or over the top action. The ending, which is so important to the total film experience is very cleverly done while the solution to how the heist was "pulled off" is not easily guessed. I'm hoping that people will give this movie a chance. It will keep you involved. Highly recommended
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting and exciting movie, with very good performances by Demi Moore and Michael Caine.
psagray29 October 2011
London sixties. "Laura Quinn" (Demi Moore) works in the "London Diamond Corporation", the main diamond company in the world. She is an executive dunk in their work but dissatisfied. You feel a great frustration to see how his career was hampered by the dominant machismo. Then decides to ally himself with Mr. "Hobbs" (Michael Caine), a veteran and modest employee says he has a perfect plan to execute a robbery he did not leave any trace.

Draw a plan, runs to the millimeter and unforeseen circumstances become adversity and intrigue for the viewer, tying the neck of the characters. Anyway, Radford, to propose a theft of time, can not raise a theft technology, but with wit, dismissing magical resources so fond of the viewer.

"Flawless" is a wonderful movie about a heist that also has a strong political component and has a great human story. "Laura" is a woman who has to confront the sexism in the workplace. He gets angry and acts out by that feeling, but eventually learns a lesson about life. From the viewpoint of the character played by Demi Moore, one of the most interesting aspects is the lack of predictable situations. It is an intelligent adult film without emotions banal.

Demi Moore acts very well in the film, but Caine demonstrates, as always, be a great actor who can handle it all. The sudden transformation of a man timid and short-sighted to plan evil brain, and other aspects are the best surprises we save this film. Therefore, the versatility of this British actor, who plays a South African here, gives the film a category that would otherwise not reach.

The setting is magnificent, and a couple of scenes police rounded up the good time spent watching something quite like heist films of the sixties that, while not perfect, had its charm. "Flawless" is a film recommended is a good time and leaves good memories.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Sparkling Movie
Chrysanthepop21 July 2010
Most heist movies of the last 10 years tend to share the similar done-to-death storyline as they fail to come up with any originality. Such films mostly rely on extravagant special effects and over-the-top action sequences to capture the audience's attention. Of course there are a few exceptions and a majority of these exceptions tend to be gems. Such is Radford's 'Flawless'. Of course merely labelling it as a heist movie wouldn't be doing justice for the depth of the story exceeds beyond the robbery.

The opening sequence of a diamond being extracted from the African mud and then it's transformation till it lands on a woman's finger may look familiar but it doesn't feel stale especially how it gets straight to the point in the following sequence where a pompous young journalist meets an aged Laura Quinn for an interview. The sequence thereafter takes us back to 60's London. Radford cleverly tackles themes of sexism, blood diamond, class etc by incorporating them withing the story and never sounding preachy. He deals with some heavy issues in a cleverly subtle way.

Through scenes in the bank, he also distinguishes the contrast between the status of men and women in 60's London. It doesn't feel to be such a long time ago yet it is surprising that Quinn is the only woman in the bank (and perhaps the world as is hinted) to work as an administrator while each and every one of her colleagues are men. Clearly she's a woman trying to survive in a man's world and continues to struggle as she is continuously passed over for promotion and soon learns that her employment at the bank will be terminated shortly. However, when the janitor comes up with an unexpected proposition, she reluctantly sees a way out.

'Flawless' is both story driven and character driven while being atmospheric. The writing is solid. The witty dialogues are loaded with dry and sarcastic humour and there's a philosophical element to most of them. The characters are wonderfully developed and the story moves at a smooth pace. The 60s atmosphere is well created and I liked how it contrasted with modern day London.

Caine and Moore are in top form. Caine's gentlemanlike Mr. Hobbes is not your typical criminal. He's polite, charming but eventually the viewer sees that things are not as they seemed. Michael Caine easily plays his part with élan. Demi Moore is fantastic too. Many have complained her accent bouncing back and forth between British and American but that makes sense because Quinn is an American who's been living in London for more than fifteen years. Thus it is believable that her accent would be distorted. Her reaction in the scenes with Hobbes and Finch are remarkable. Some of the best sequences in 'Flawless' are the ones between Moore and Caine and Moore and Wilson. Lambert Wilson delivers a very good performance in a strong supporting role.

I didn't know much about the film before seeing it. Unfortunately, such movies do not get the deserved attention during its release but I hope it gradually gets the well deserved recognition. What caught my attention prior to viewing was the odd but seemingly interesting pairing of Caine and Moore and when I finally got to see this refreshing gem, I was more than glad with a more than satisfying film experience. I've already included this little film treasure in my shelf of DVDs.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Extremely fun and entertaining!
georgia-2312 March 2008
Very clever and fun heist movie. Great character development leading up to the central hook of the movie, which kept me intrigued throughout. Michael Caine is absolutely brilliant, and Demi Moore is very believable as a frustrated executive who's been passed over for a promotion one too many times - this is her best role yet. The pacing is good and the director (Michael Radford) does a great job building tension through the climax of the film. I also love that the heist is actually believable, unlike so many films that try to be too slick and flashy. The time period (1960's London) is well captured and the musical score is great. This was a terrific film and I highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Leftist Propaganda at EVERY turn...
Mitch A6 January 2012
This movie was horrible. What "could" have been a decent flick turned into a nonsensical movie that cared much more about getting a leftist "message" to us dumb bumpkins out in fly over country than entertaining us with a decent quality movie.

1. Woman are smarter 2. Woman work harder 3. Woman care more 4. Woman getting repressed 5. Fat white guys with cigars are evil 6. Evil Corporations greedily stashing money from the people 7. Robinhood syndrome 8. Making the script fit your Political narrative at every scene. Why did the investigator let her go? Nobody noticed this woman spending a 100m lbs?

As bad of hidden leftist dribble as I've ever seen in my life.

Time these elitists learn a hard lesson...

The Nazi's would be proud of today's Hollyweird...
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Engaging
bob-rutzel-129 June 2008
Hobbs (Caine), a janitor in the London Diamond Corp tries to persuade Executive Analyst, Laura Quinn (Moore), to help him heist the diamonds in the vault. Of course, she thinks Hobbs is mad.

This is like the old time movies and takes place in the 1960s in London so……………no CGI for you.

This is very engaging but you really have to pay attention because the audience is whispered to in many secretive meetings like we are part of the conspiracy. What I mean is I had either a bad DVD or the audio quality within the movie was bad. Sad to say but Michael Caine may be getting too throaty when he talks too low and there is some difficulty, at times, in hearing him clearly. But, overall you forgive him and you do know what is going on and this keeps you engaged.

The heist is flawless and so are the performances of all the cast. Very good. Demi Moore's Laura Quinn is perfect as she tries to conquer her nerves after the heist goes down. Hell, I was ready to break down too and I didn't know where the diamonds were. Neither did Laura Quinn. How did Hobbs do it? See? Engaging, eh? Thought so.

I am sure this movie was shot in color, but there were so many dark scenes that it could have been shot in black and white. Or was it really in black and white? Hmmmm……….

What starts this party off is Dave Brubeck's Take Five and you will hear good, but subtle, jazz music throughout the movie. A nice touch.

OK, truth time: I did know how Hobbs did it and where the diamonds were hidden. Hey, I have smaaart cousins in Boston. Something had to rub off. And, when you discover how Hobbs did it and where the diamonds were hidden you will say, "how did those dumb investigators not know this?" But, like many trips, it's the journey, and not the destination that keeps you engaged.

Violence: No, Sex: No, Nudity: No, Language: One F bomb was uttered by the CEO of London Diamond Corp.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
well done, artistically soul engaging heist for adult audiences
beregic1 May 2008
as recommendation this would pertain to elderly and middle aged groups viewers of both sexes.also to progressive jazz lovers and a especially, a MUST SEE incentive, towards anyone involved in feminist studies. onto the last taught i am quiet disappointed with the feminists issues depicted in movies as of late where "blame the man" approach is taken, very convenient yet simplistic without addressing the roots of the issues as they are, and have been, on the historical platform. not to be ignored but to be understood in order to find solutions. also this would be very much appreciated for a superb Flawless artistic execution with a well defined mood setting(s).to me the soundtrack is perfectly chosen and contributing immensely as well to overall rating here. visuals and sonic elements are perfectly combined. nevertheless this will be appreciated by people familiar with "blood diamonds" , people in search for that realistic European vibe of the 60's and also those involved or with jobs within financial institutions.this will touch you at same level guaranteed providing that you not looking for an "action" flick or "thirller" as advertised on its genre.

i must include here the performance of Demi Moore. i was pleasantly surprised with her in "mr brooks"( where she reminded us she is still a very live and "kicking" actress). but here she really shines. why? well many, very likely, will remember her from "ghost". the pretty, good looking sensible woman has been evolved into a very "flawed" one ( i can not believe she is only 45 years old, or maybe i thought of her as "forever young"?). BUT i appreciate her a lot here for portraying a real woman without much beauty(if any) left on the surface,all of it seemingly gone within; and expressed well by body language, facial expressions and mimics. this is a picture of a woman that has grown old elegantly and know how to deal with her shortcomings when the "pretty" is just NOT THERE anymore.she expresses a sense of subtle desperation , well controlled , but somehow tragic, in need of a new life experience that she has never seemed to have had it in her youth(as a character, maybe because the work she has put in to get where she is and no further?).the director could not have found anyone better for this role, keeping account of the OLD Demi on the sliver screen...this choice in itself will move you enough to create a realistic state of mind where you can be more practical in your thoughts and assessments of overall issues. the end of the movie fits like a glove for this actress; makes you wonder if the whole feature was made by her or FOR her.

this is a heist movie indeed, but to it seems only a facade to have a better story hidden within. Michael Caine plays great,some nice dialogs, but i just find him to "typical", somehow of a general character that always must be present in such features as this one, . you will not be disappointed with him or the main plot but it seems well to simplistic to me(also he never seems to grow too old enough to retire, no complaints). yet IT IS very engaging as much as "the bank job" but with different takes you may or may not agree with. also Demi pretty much caries the movie by herself alone, and there is not much of any secondary character development. but the cinematography, soundtrack and this elegant actress are giving more then enough to even notice shortcomings(such as a slowed down pace at times and some implausible possibilities facts regarding old cameras).Lambert Wilson is great as well,but would have liked to see more of him in this one as well. i am a fan of his ever since his best performance in "the matrix" series. however the MOTIVES behind the heist are well defined across the board.

and not to forget to give AGAIN credits to British cinema as of late. when i started watching this feature i was sure is an American production( because Demi of course), but withing 15 minutes i HAD to check the production and when i saw who made it i had to give an out loud "i knew it!"

those being said i have to get the soundtrack!...but then again probably will not go as good as "having it" without the movie.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good Old style - old fashion thriller
kewos21 January 2009
At last a decent thriller this year. Flawless it's been a good surprise from beginning to end. Is a thriller with all substance and no flash. There's no tricks, characters and their relationship are really good developed. You understand them, their motives to rob and also their doubts and the most important, you understand how they do it. No tricks, no James Bond gadgets which solve every issue.

The story is truly believable. Also are the characters. Michael Cain (janitor)as usual fills the scene just with his presence. Demi Moore is in one of her best, probably her best, role and performance (and I'm not a big fan at all of her). The screenplay and dialogues are brilliant. The plot is very well knitted and the final twist is different, refreshing.

Is like to be watching a good movie from the 60's. No doubt, I recommend this movie to those who like real thrillers.

7.5/10
Jamie Ward29 November 2008
The great robbery genre is one of many formulas and techniques that have been tested over endless arrays of such examples from the genre. In fact it seems reasonable to believe that not since the 1960's has a truly original or groundbreaking heist movie been made, all thanks to the successes of those features. From then on in it would seem that all that would follow would do so in the footsteps of those beforehand, learning from the mistakes and the fortunes of such efforts. While this can lead to a long barrage of groans and yawns from audiences who are tired of seeing the same old idea pulled off year after year, there still remains a certain joy and excitement to behold when watching a heist that is pulled off with flare. Flawless is that kind of heist movie; it never does anything out of the ordinary, nor does it add any twists to the standard form of the robbery feature structure, but it nevertheless succeeds in telling an engaging story all the same. Cemented in place from two absolutely compelling performances from Michael Caine and Demi Moore, director Michael Radford in no way crafts an innovation of the genre, but creates a solid example of why they are still getting made the way they were forty years ago. Predictable and formulated, Flawless isn't a genuine diamond by any means, but it's a fair imitation of one.

The story here revolves around two people, both in very different stages of their lives and even more so in their social status. Laura Quinn (Demi Moore) is a female executive of a company that buys and sells diamonds, a successful figure for the time but nevertheless trapped in her position because of her gender which during the story's timeframe of the early sixties, makes her an unlikely candidate for promotion. When sixty year old janitor of the building Mr. Hobbs (Michael Caine) overhears that Quinn is soon to be released because of a confidentiality leak regarding certain Russians, he takes it upon himself to proposition her to take what she can while she can. From here on in writer Edward Anderson opts to tell a standard, albeit very well constructed heist story that does well to stick to the genre's best features. Focusing strongly on character, the act of the heist itself whilst leaving part of the job a mystery to be solved during the movie's latter half, Anderson knows that the best robbery stories often succeed through those three central elements. To be sure there are major missteps taken with his script, most of which rather irksomely arise during the movie's final act, but for the majority of what is present, he and Radford do very well in convincing the audience that this formulaic throwback is actually worth watching.

Part of what makes it so compelling to watch however lies mostly outside of the talents of the writer and director, residing within the talents of lead stars Demi Moore and Michael Caine. Moore, who I've always felt was an underused and underexposed actress, nails her character perfectly here, resulting in a powerful female figure that commands the screen every bit as much as she caresses it. Intelligent, dignified and dashed with enough hints of humiliation, Moore's character serves as a the feature's central figure and the actress does extremely well in filling the position with enough conviction and personality to keep things moving along. Caine, who has always been more suited to the supporting role in his features of late, comes across exactly as you would expect him to. His timid janitor character rarely breaks the actor out of his comfort zone, but Michael always seems to bring a real sense of warmth and humanity to his roles that in turn help to ground whatever feature he stars in. As a duo both Caine and Moore make a formidable pair and the interplay between both is always inviting to watch. Their characters too share a natural bonding, with both being distinctly different and yet sharing so many characteristics that go beyond their social façades.

So while there is nothing remotely new or imaginative about Flawless in its design, execution or display, one can certainly take the experience as is and simply enjoy it as such. In contrast with this year's earlier efforts (The Bank Job springs to mind), Radford's treatment to the now overdone genre feels somewhat trained, informed and welcome in amidst the rubble that comes before it. Of course, there's no cause for anyone to run to their cinema to see this; anyone who has seen a fair heist movie has in one way or another already seen this. With elements that are refined and poignant enough to keep the audience intrigued, Flawless is definitely a compelling piece of work; but lumbered with an all too familiar story the movie fails to resonate as much it could. Yet it goes without saying that for those who like these kinds of movies, Flawless should serve its purpose well enough until someone comes and reinvents the wheel once more.

• A review by Jamie Robert Ward (http://www.invocus.net)
My Review
joemamaohio20 July 2008
The year is 1960. Laura Quinn (Demi Moore) is working in a diamond depository, and is being overlooked despite her obvious genius, probably because she's a female.

She finds out she's about to be terminated, and is approached by janitor Hobbs (Michael Caine) to pull off a major heist and show the higher ups who's really boss. She's reluctant, but goes along with the plan.

After the heist occurs, she begins to slowly realize that it really never was about the money, but about something much more important to both her and Hobbs.

"Flawless" is more than just your average heist movie - it's about retribution. Moore and Caine are flawless in their performances, and it's a positively delightful movie to watch.