Primeval (2007) Poster

(2007)

Nothing great, but above average horror flick
godjunior7112 January 2007
I admit it, I have a soft spot for monster movies. Maybe it's the kid in me who watched all the old "creature features" at a young age, or maybe it's the fact that no one has really made a serious monster movie since...well, you tell me. That being said, "Primeval" is no work of genius, and like most mainstream films, is loaded with clichéd moments that we've seen in better movies. However, when compared to the films that pass for horror today, this one has surprising bite (no pun intended) at certain moments. The main complaint here seems to be the misleading advertising campaign of the film, hyping it up as a tale of serial killer in rural Africa. Of course, the actual story details an American news team (the brooding male leader, the hot female sidekick, and of course, the token black guy who serves mostly as comic relief) traveling to the war-torn Burundi to film and hopefully capture Gustave, an enormous crocodile who has eaten hundreds of people. Naturally, things go wrong, and the river soon runs red. An interesting aspect of the movie is the inclusion of a warlord in the plot, adding a second threat to the protagonists (Gustave is, of course, their first threat). This risky move sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but I applaud the filmmakers for trying something new at least. What really redeems the film however are a few key scenes that are surprisingly atmospheric (something most modern horror films have forgotten), well edited, and increasingly suspenseful. Without giving too much away, the croc itself is better than one may expect from this kind of a movie. The cast does what they can with a strictly average script, yet for the most part, manage to elicit some interest and sympathy. The final act is a bit of a disappointment, but by that point, it's already been a fun, exciting ride, and one doesn't really care. In short, "Primeval" is strictly what many of us go to the movies for: popcorn entertainment. I myself had originally gone to see "Pan's Labyrinth" but as the shows were sold out, my friends and I eventually decided to give "Primeval" a go. I wasn't dazzled, but then again, I wasn't expecting to be. It's simply fun, escapist entertainment, and despite what any film snob will tell you, there's nothing wrong with that. Just shut your brain off and you should have a good time.
72 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent enough to enjoy
ValianceInEnd14 January 2007
I'm sure that I'm the only person here who really isn't going to bash on this film. Of course, I already knew it was a crocodile in stead of a serial killer. I mean c'mon, if you looked around on the internet you would of known, and the trailer made it apparent. Still I agree that it was a cheesy scam to call this killer croc "the world's most prolific serial killer". Aside from that, the movie had a simple (if not too simple) story line. Croc kills important person, team sent to catch it, croc is smarter then them, they try to survive. If you've seen Lake Placid, then this is generally the same idea. Just subtract one croc, set it in Africa, and put a really funny black guy in. Yeah, Orlando Jones does an exceptional job as Steve and makes you laugh more then once. Unfortunately, the other actors are so-so at best. The croc's animation was decent, but I felt he needed a better design. He just looked like a really big croc rather then anything original. And the gore was disappointing. The animated blood in the raining scenes was laughably bad. Overall, it might be worth a rent when it comes out on DVD, but it isn't going to ever be a vintage horror film. If you've seen Lake Placid, no need to apply here, except that this is the better Lake Placid.
58 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could've Been Better
The_Defiant120 January 2007
This movie seems to suffer from a low budget. The writing is okay. The plotting was okay. The actors are okay. The special effects are weak. All could have been better. This movie could be compared to Anaconda, but replace the snake with a killer crocodile. Swap out South America and see Africa instead. Unlike Anaconda, Primeval makes a social statement about the political unrest in Africa. In the back drop of filming a crocodile documentary, political unrest and murder is happening all around them. Where this movie suffers is the pacing. It starts out slow and isn't even interesting until the crocodile appears. Once the crocodile appears, that's really all you may care to see. Unfortunately, the special effects are too obvious and the crocodile acts fake and looks fake. It's only at this point that the movie even gets up to the quality of Anaconda which also had fake looking effects.

Orlando Jones as Steven Johnson brings a welcome light touch of humor to an otherwise serious movie. Brooke Langton as Aviva Masters brings a welcome touch of beauty to a dirty and unattractive African setting. The other characters aren't quite as appealing.

This movie is worth seeing, but just barely. Wait for the DVD.
28 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, if there is a cover of a crocodile, I'm expecting the crocodile to make more than a 5 minute appearance
Smells_Like_Cheese11 July 2007
I have no idea why, but from the cover and short summary in back, I thought that Primevil might have been an entertaining horror film. I'm not really into crocodile stories, they usually don't work, but for some reason this one looked very promising. When I started watching it, I kept checking the cover just to make sure I was on track, but the story just seemed to get lost somewhere. Now I don't mind different stories, but the cover promised something else and I wasn't even really that entertained or moved by the story.

Basically there is a killer crocodile in Africa, apparently he is a big one to be very frightened of. So an American crew of reporters wish to capture the beast or get him on film so they can help these villages and become famous more so. But there is another major problem that takes the story to a completely different place, where there is a huge war going on and starts to terrorize these reporters and one by one they are killed off before the crocodile gets to them.

Primevil would have had good potential for a horror movie, but it just went in an intense turn where you had no idea where the film would take you. The script was also in some ways done in poor taste and wasn't well thought out, like I'm not offended easily usually when it comes to racial jokes, but Orlando going on about slavery in Africa went a little too far and was ridiculous. The acting is so so, not the worst I've seen, but the effects are not that impressive, a warning in advance. But if you would like to check out this film, please feel free, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Primeval Is Lake Placid Without The Humor
walken_on_sunshine13 January 2007
Primeval was geniusly marketed as a slasher film and attempted to get people to pay for a ticket expecting a slasher flick and sucker them outta cash with a crocodile movie.Based on the amount of pi$$ed off people reviewing this film in anger of being scammed i'm going to say they succeeded.Now on to Primeval as a movie yes it has the token black guy, and the sexy blonde wearing pretty much nothing, and the tough guy who takes charge but after seeing Stomp The Yard I wanted to see people die and Primeval did that oh so well.Even though it's not technically a slasher flick it is a gore fest though and an enjoyable one with some very innovative kills and very little to know cheesy scenes.They don't make it intentionally cheesy like Freddy vs Jason, or See No Evil this film is completely serious which makes it more believable and more fun to watch.Is it scary sure if blood scares you but other than that it's the pulse pounding chase scenes that keep you watching and enjoying Primeval.Visually Primeval is beautiful and ugly at the same time as the locations are gorgeous yet the mud or the water looks eerie and murky it really gives you the impression that something is living there and it's not expecting company.Is it clichéd?Please..what movie isn't nowadays and better yet what horror film isn't nowadays so the clichés are easy to ignore and don't hurt the overall excitement of the film.Primeval has disturbing full out gore scenes with all the blood you wanna see and more.It certainly doesn't let you down in that department.Primeval has taught us all a lesson research what movie you're going to see before you go see it because personally i thought it was funny that Primeval screwed most of you other critics outta your money i on the other hand knew what i was going to see and enjoyed every minute of it.Overall ignore the more than likely low IMDb average rating because most critics gave this film a 1 because they were pi$$ed that they didn't get what they wanted like a little kid in a toy store.
77 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misleading advertisement: Actually an action-adventure thriller worth giving a shot
lanmwolf14 January 2007
I thought that this movie was very well done, but like many other people have said the advertisements were extremely misleading. My mom and I are big fans of horror movies and went expecting to see a slasher film, but once the movie started we quickly realized that it was an action adventure thriller. However, despite the fact that the movie was not what we were expecting, we both ended up really enjoying it (probably because we are fans of both genres).

Now on to the movie: The script was extremely well written, managing to bring the broader issues of genocide and civil war to light while at the same time delivering plenty of action and scare sequences, as well as humor to lighten the mood between the thrill sequences.

In addition to the writing, the actors only further contribute to the high quality of the script by consistently hitting their marks and clearly conveying the intended humor, horror, or whatever else is called for during the different scenes.

I was also impressed by the directing and cinematography. The combination of the two resulted in creating a movie that manages to involve the audience and provide footage that matches whatever mood is needed at the time; whether it be awe at the beauty of Africa or the fear when the characters are facing a dangerous situation.

To be fair, I must admit that the movie did not have very good graphics and audiences will be able to easily tell that the crocodile is done through CGI. However, between a little imagination and the actors believable performances, this does not detract from the thrills of the movie.

Ultimately if you are a fan of action-adventure and enjoy a good thrill I would highly recommend this movie, but if you are looking for a slasher film don't bother.
37 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Advertisements are Unforgivable
binks76115 January 2007
When I realized about 10 minutes into the film that I had paid to see a crocodile movie and not one about a serial killer as advertised, I was mad as h*ll!. For the first time I was about to demand my money back. However, I gave the movie a chance. I did end up enjoying it, but not enough to forgive being duped into paying the price. It is a pretty fun movie, but it's the same thing we've seen before on Sci-Fi Channel for a fraction of the price. To the distributors credit, they knew what they were doing. No one wants to pay to see a run-of-the-mill crocodile movie when they can see an giant reptile, insect, or animal/human hybrid film on cable each weekend. I love "Lake Placid", but if I knew this movie was about a croc I would not have gone to see it. It was a fun film, so if you want to pay to see Sci-Fi fare, you'll enjoy it.
43 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mismatched creature feature
BroadswordCallinDannyBoy18 January 2007
After a noted scientist is killed by what can only be described as some sort of beast an expedition is sent to track it down. Dealing with their own problems, conflicts, and the fact they are in country torn part by civil war.

The film starts as a typical monster flick with an intense death scene and a hint of political agenda. It then proceeds to be a typical creature feature with some decent gore and terror, but the political agenda brought up subtly in the beginning resurfaces and the film becomes mismatched. Fans of gore and horror will have fun with the gore and horror, but the political theme is sorely out of place. It is hard to say that it is irrelevant, because if it was well developed it could serve as a decent metaphor.

Godzilla, for one, is a monster metaphor - the bastard of the nuclear age. Here that is what the film tries to do with Gustave - the HUGE killer croc. It fails - whether it is noble failure or pathetic failure is ultimately up to you - but the failure to intertwine themes and idea throughout the movie results in this mismatching. Things just seems to appear out of nowhere, like a long sequence where the main beast literally disappears from the film. It was right there in the previous scene, but for a while it is gone. Then it is conveniently back for the conclusion. In a funny way this seems to be a monster horror flick from the Sci-Fi channel that has the seriousness of "Blood Diamond" here and there. That just doesn't work, folks. Metaphors and themes must be a pervasive presence to work. --- 4/10

Rated R: graphic violence/gore and profanity
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your money!
veekman10 January 2007
I saw this movie at a special screening. There is nothing special about it. I wont ruin it for those who want to see it, but I will tell say this to people who are not sure: Don't waste your money! It's only January and already this movie has the potential of being the worst of 2007.

This movie steals every plot point from other movies. Orlando Jones, who should have been banned from movie screens when Evolution came out, basically plays the same character he always plays: The Token Black Guy.

PLOT: 0 FOR 10 Acting: 0 for 10.

I cannot say anything nice about this film at all.
45 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than I thought
shaw_bros13 January 2007
First of all the movie isn't as bad as anyone has said, in fact I thought it was rather good. Not only was the plot better than expected but the jokes were well done and Jones delivered them with perfect timing. I know a lot of people are mad because of the advertising, but one of the people I went with thought it was going to be a human killer and was really happy with how the movie turned out. A lot of people has a bias towards movies like these because they are too predictable or the actors and too typecast, but I didn't find any of these a problem (Well I guess Orlando Jones is a token black guy). Overall the movie was good and the effects were well done.
21 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horrible movie that lacks entertainment, suspense and a sense of humor
christian12316 January 2007
Television producer Tim Manfrey (Dominic Purcell) leads a team down to the Burundi section of Africa to investigate and try to capture a large killer crocodile dubbed Gustave, who has been killing and eating hundreds of natives.

After reading the plot synopsis, I was expecting something similar to Anaconda which was a cheesy, entertaining movie that didn't take itself too seriously. The preview did scare me in the sense that they didn't mention the alligator aspect at all. I don't get why the studio would hide that fact since it would be the movie's main draw. Also, the preview looked very underwhelming. However, my friend wanted to see it which we did and now I wish we had seen something else. Primeval is neither scary nor entertaining. Instead, it is dull, wooden and it doesn't have an ounce of personality.

Director Michael Katleman should get the blame for this. He kept the movie way too serious and the pacing was very slow which made the whole thing tedious. He added unnecessary social commentary and he didn't do a good job at mixing it with entertainment. He also didn't take advantage of shooting in Africa, failing to capture the beauty of the location. I thought it was impossible but he made Africa look ordinary. Also, everything was very dark and annoying. I don't mean the film was actually a dark comedy but everything seemed to be shot at night and it was hard to follow the action. I guess this was done to lower budget costs but it didn't help when it came to actually view the movie. The screenwriters (Michael Ferris (III) and John D. Brancato) were equally useless although this should not be surprisingly since this pair wrote Catwoman. The one good thing about the movie was the alligator and all of his attack scenes. They were somewhat entertaining even if they did look fake.

The acting was just as bad as the writing and directing. Dominic Purcell was horrible as Tim. He was very wooden and he showed no emotion. This was clearly a paycheck movie for him since he appeared to be reading his lines. Brooke Langton was enormously bland and just useless. Orlando Jones was surprisingly bad and I say surprisingly because he's usually pretty reliable in supporting roles. Here, he was wooden and bland, just like his co-stars. Overall, Primeval is simply terrible and it's not worth checking out unless you love bad films. Rating 2/10
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
are you serious?
jeff_unseld14 January 2007
A gigantic crocodile that thinks? Come on. This is basically a mix of Lake Placid and Tears of the Sun, both of which are infinitely better than this movie. Primeval's attempt to use a movie about a killer croc to show the genocide taking place in civil war ravaged Africa is not only shameful, but downright laughable.

The acting is better by the stand-in African bushmen than it is by the American "actors." Dominic Purcell and Brooke Langton are only in this movie for their aesthetic appeal. And Orlando Jones is the token African American comedic relief. The cinematography is the best part of this movie, showing the landscapes and culture of the African people.

I went to this movie because I have a free pass. I feel sorry for you if you spent money on this joke. Bottom Line: Awful movie, even if you're drunk
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Movie
kampeerauto19 June 2007
This is not just a "big crock movie". And the story is not suited in South Africa, but on the border between Burundi and Rwanda. (Filmed on location in South Africa though). I like this movie because to me it had a balance between a good "monster" movie and a political movie. At the time the story is told, there was a civil war going on over there. And in that way the movie gives us a peak of the horrors that occurred in Rwanda and Burundi. Besides that its a thrilling story about (trying) to hunt down a monster animal.

Not an All Star Movie (Jurgen Prochnov was the best known actor to me), but a movie casted with excellent actors. The Ten points I voted were based on the excitement this movie gave to me. I had some question-marks about the way the movie was edited. If I would count the editing part for my vote, I think I would vote for an 8. But as I wrote, it was the excitement that made me give the ten points.

Major Tom
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
get a life!
yellowjente3 March 2007
The movie was great. I just don't understand why some people would prefer shooting their heads rather than watching the movie again.. Why don't you go and find gustav and let him eat you alive?!! I by so far think that the movie was in the first place clear that it was not about the mass murder in Africa.. I suppose that the trailer was apparent enough for "intelligent" people to understand what was it all about! probably only sissy heads like someone out there would have to watch the entire movie to know this, oh and then criticize it afterwards and give spoilers to people who hasn't watched the movie yet.The movie was based on true story, so what do people want?! to change the movie, just to make it unpredictable?! that's stupid... the writer might perhaps not want to completely alter the story because he/she might still want it to be in line with the reality behind it and wants to maintain its essence --- Think first guys before commenting!
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When did 'mass murderers' mean ALLIGATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!
vinishjlc22 January 2007
The worst movie I have ever seen, well at least next to Anaconda and Lake Placid. My god, I thought this was going to be an awesome horror movie about a real life mass murderer in Africa. Instead, it was a b-horror movie about a killer alligator that was SO PREDICTABLE you wanted to shoot yourself in the head after the first 10 minutes. I meant to leave a short, to the point comment, but the site insists on 10 lines. Let me sum up the movie, and yes, this will ruin it for you (as much as it can be ruined): Movie starts, leading you to believe the serial killer is human, kills his victims with barb wire and buries them (nice). 5 minutes in you learn the serial killer is a 40 foot alligator. Next, a team is rounded up of 1 black guy, 1 white guy (from prison break) and 1 woman; but I'm sure it was an accident that the team was so PC. This team, which is composed of admittedly sissy reporters is shipped off to Africa to find and capture a man-eating alligator. Yes, you guessed it, Africa was in the midst of civil war and no one was sure if they could trust their contacts...good guess, I never would have thought twice. Main story short, NOTHING unpredictable happens, they plan to catch a 40 foot alligator in a large metal cage that looks like it has been sitting in the bush for 20 years. People die for no reason, Jurassic park rivals the CGI, and whenever a good guy is about to die, some predictable twist of fate occurs.

Overall, I would honestly rather shoot myself in the head than watch this again.

Enjoy...
19 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Primeval: Step and Fetch It Goes to Africa
ihafrica15 January 2007
I rarely walk out on a movie but I endured this farce of a film just to see Orland Jones' character get his just desserts.

The acting was wooded and constipated, the story line sophomoric, disjointed and filled with stereotypes and colonial caricatures of Africa, and the coverage of one of 56 countries on the continent of Africa a throwback to the days of Stanley's "Dr. Livingstone I presume." The most insulting part of the film was Orlando Jones' modern day rendition of "Step and Fetch It." From the "Oh help me Lord!" exaggerated rolling of the eyes, the asinine ignorant one-liners ("I hate Africa", paying homage to the institution of slavery to highlight his ambivalence towards Africa), to the black side kick getting killed off -- this movie reeked of Crocodile dung from start to finish.

Throw in the murderous African thugs, the attempted rape of a white woman, the wise and mysterious witch doctor, the Great White Hunter, and the African youth whose "noblesse sauvage" is put on display when he serves himself up as crocodile bait to get a ticket to America, and you have the recipe for a movie that is only missing Tarzan who comes to the rescue when all seems lost.

The best "actor" in this film was Gustave the Crocodile. My only regret is that he was not tasked to eat the writers, producers and director of this comedy of errors that insults the intelligence of even the dullest of minds.

Africa seems is getting a lot of attention from Hollywood these days, and this film shows that such attention is not necessarily a good thing.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Slasher Film, But Still a Good Movie
tonymuyo14 January 2007
I just got back from seeing it a half an hour ago and I thought it was pretty damn good. Sure the advertisement was misleading, made you think that it was a crazy killer film, but it was actually about a giant killer croc. Now I'm a reptile enthusiast, but this definitely not a waste of time. It is a good movie that combines some humor, a little politics, and a whole lot of suspenseful, gory moments. Sadly I doubt it will get any good reviews in Entertainment Weekly or by Roger and Ebert, but from any actual movie fan's point of view, I suggest you see it. What makes this movie interesting that their is actually a giant croc out there killing people, and is still large. In short, Primeval is not a waste time.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very brutal. Very intense. Very scary.
ajaws4ever12 January 2007
I feel like I'm the only one that likes this movie. I don't know why people hate this film. I thought that it was pretty damn graphic and gory and brutal and intense.

I didn't know this film was based on a true story...but that just makes it scarier. ***MINOR SPOILER HERE***---->Knowing an alligator is a serial killer (which they technically are) is pretty scary...<----***MINOR SPOILER ENDS*** especially if the movie is based on a true story.

Anyway, back to the real thing. This movie is very intense and brutal and extremely gory. The action was nonstop and the terror was constant. Like, you knew something was going to happen...but you didn't know when. And just because it has that element, it doesn't mean the movie is predictable, because 'Primeval' IS NOT predictable.

And the movie didn't have well-known actors, but I thought they did pretty good. Also the alligator played a huge part in the movie...so I guess the alligator did good, too...although I don't think the alligator even knew what it was doing.

All in all, the movie is very intense. Very brutal. Very gory. Very terrifying. Very disturbing. Very graphic. Very violent. Very gory. Very sick. Very frightening. Very scary.

See it. Unlike most people, you will not be disappointed.

Original MPAA rating: R: Strong Graphic Violence, Brutality, Terror, and Language

My MPAA rating: R: Strong Graphic Violence and Disturbing Content, Brutality, Intense Terror, and Language

My Canadian rating: 18A: Gory Violence, Disturbing Content, Coarse Language, Frightening Scenes
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Crocodile Movie
Supanoon6 September 2010
There has always been a special place in my heart for Killer Croc movies. "Crocodile" from Tobe Hooper was super cheesy but entertaining as hell; an example of a "good" killer croc movie. Then there is "Blood Surf" that was so bad it made me giggle at the title creature every time it poked it's low budget face out of the shrubs (yes only the face is shown unless it's crappy CGI). "Primeval" is genius, even better than Hooper's croc movie. The special effects are beautiful; the croc actually looked real and monstrous at the same time, making it at least somewhat frightening. The night scenes combined with tons of blood made it look beautiful at times too, especially the kill at the bridge.

Now, this is definitely a movie for moviegoers who love a good laugh and blood and gore. I see in the forums that certain people consider some of the dialogue is "racist," but I have to disagree. Orlando Jones is hilarious, and if your sense of humor is very intact you will find him to be the most enjoyable character due to him being the character who makes sure the movie does not take itself too seriously. Jones and the croc are the stars of the movie, they save it from being too generic.

If you want a good storyline, do not watch this movie. It's fun as hell, but the story is too political when it should be about the croc. The tone shifts a bit too much showing that the director or writers tried to tie in political criticism just to express a last opinion. It would have been great overall popcorn fun if the movie would have been strictly about Mr. Gustave the Crocodile and no African rebels and such. Other than that, I love this movie and will always be able to watch it. Fun it is, deep it is not.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Giant croc eats good taste
petra_ste28 July 2008
There is something supremely distasteful about using one of the most horrible tragedies of the last century - the genocide in Rwanda/Burundi - as the colourful setting for a monster movie. Imagine horror flicks about gremlins on United 93 or werewolves in Auschwitz, and you pretty much get the picture.

When it focuses on a team of reporters (non-entities Dominic Purcell, Brooke Langton and Orlando Jones) searching for a man-eating crocodile, Primeval is cheesy stuff with a few unintentionally amusing moments, such as Jones rushing through a field pursued by the beast, which is portrayed with the size and speed of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park (it can roar too!).

Then you realize you are snickering at a movie about the Burundi civil war - perverse credit is due to the filmmaker and writers for taking this Malthusian catastrophe and, without the slightest bit of shame, using it as an excuse to play with their toy monsters.

Bad taste aside, this is just weak - script is abysmal, set-pieces ugly. Worth no viewings.

Better watch Discovery Channel
jignesh56818 February 2008
3 votes are also for good camera work for initial 30-40 minutes of movie.Its bad movie,its really very bad movie.Don't waste your time as well as your mood and your next day by watching this movie.

It starts on well,have some very spectacular visuals of Africa,but it disintegrates,disorients thereafter.Its very good example how you neglect most vital part(rather say it soul)of movie that is SCRIPT and ends up most boring movie ever made.Storyline simple,leave it nothing to say more about it.I usually watch horror flick for special effect ,but it is not the case here.It seems director avoids such situation where special effect needed,if its there though very few which looks really primitive as compared to other Hollywood movies.I think it could have been better,overall its bad in all aspects except photography.
Gustave the serial killer
elkist19 January 2007
For those that where not paying attention the film's promotional trailer dubs a "serial killer", who has claimed more than 300 victims and "remains at large". It is compared to Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac Killer with his non-human status never mentioned except for a brief line where the narrator says, "He's real, but he's not human". Gustave the killer is in fact a crocodile. The film is inspired by the true story of Gustave, a 2,000 pound (907 kilograms), 6-meter-long crocodile in Lake Tanganyika, Burundi. Urban legend or not, overall a pretty good movie and a must see for some. It was far better then Hostel even for a coocodile movie.
Modestely entertaining horror/action/thriller.
hu6753 October 2007
In the darkest jungles of Africa, there's a local legend with the people about Gustave as the natives call him. Gustave is actually a 25 foot man-eating crocodile. An American news crew (Dominic Purcell, Orlando Jones and Brooke Langton) are traveling to South Africa to search for this legendary crocodile, if he does exist. But they are not alone, since they are with a animal activist (Gideon Emery), a hunter (Jurgen Prochnow) and a group of soldiers along the ride. Since they are trying to capture this big crocodile. But one of the news crew filmed three innocent people getting killed by a mysterious gang lord. Now they find themselves in mortal danger and these soldiers are not what they seems to be. Now the news crew, the animal activist and the hunter are now running from their lives from a group of killers and Gustave are in their way.

Directed by Michael Katleman made an entertaining film that certainly has its moments. Although most audiences expected to be only a crocodile movie, nothing more. But it ends up having an subplot that resembles "Blood Diamond" instead. The CGI Crocodile is actually above average and it has some good moments of thrills. The cast is decent enough, Jones gives this film an sense of humour. Prochnow probably gives the film best performance as a hunter with a hidden agenda. This movie turned into a box office disappointed instead.

DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer and an strong Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. DVD has an modest commentary track by the director and visual effects supervisor Paul Linden. DVD also includes an behind the scenes featurettes and deleted scenes with commentary by the filmmakers. This film will probably get an cult following on DVD. This picture isn't as bad as some critics or audiences might think. For sure, most people were expecting an monster movie like "Jaws", "Lake Placid" or "Aligator". But this film is actually more serious plotted than most audiences would think. It's a worth a look, despite being an wildly uneven movie. Loosely based on a true story. Written by John D. Brancato (Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines, The Game, The Net) and Michael Ferris (Catwoman, Into the Sun, The Unborn). Super 35. (*** ½/*****).
Goremongral's Review: Primeval
ChiefGoreMongral25 June 2007
Killer Crocs and Gator movies are a dime a dozen for every "Alligator" there is "Lake Placid 2". However the concept of a very violent and aggressive Crocodile movie gets me a tad excited. Unfortunately for Primeval more hopes were dashed as we get a tad to much comic relief and way to much political/civil war story and not enough Croc action.

The story is about a news crew who are sent in to South Africa to capture a 25 foot long killer Croc dubbed "Gustave". Unfortunately for us the film-goer there is a civil war that has broken out which we are surrounded with for much to long of the stories running time. Be it the tribes in the area or the military men that are with them the movie just really wanted to hammer that fact home, with the Crocodile as the side story. We do get the Croc and when it was on screen it was a bad sucker unfortunately they opted for more CGI then you could shake a stick at but it was not of "The Mummy/Mummy Returns" crappiness so I guess we can let it slide to a point but would a prosthetic monster Croc be too much to ask for in some of the scenes as it would have been more effective.

The shame here is that the whole myth and legend of this creature was very cool but ruined by the fact that we hardly see it for most of the running time. I believe total there is about 20 minutes at best of Croc action. The rest well you get the point. I highly recommend getting the original "Alligator" or the lesser known Austrailian Croc film "Dark Age" as they are more effective and you get to see what the movie intends for you to see...Croc and gator action.

In the end this is a waste of time, it really is a "just there" movie with a few good Croc scenes (the cage scene comes to mind). If you have seen all the Croc movies and want to see another well have at it but for the average horror movie/ nature amok fan this one is just not that good.

4/10: Below Average: A few Croc scenes that are good otherwise a lame excuse to shove info on South African civil war at us.....go figure?
Crocodile tears
Jay_Exiomo28 February 2007
"Primeval," in a word, bites. Going into the theater I knew I was in for a crocodile movie (as if the misleading ad wasn't mentioned enough previously) so I really can't blame the publicity team if I didn't enjoy it at all. What really bogs this movie down is that it lacks a sufficient amount of campy fun as it insanely takes itself seriously - too seriously, in fact - at some points, blending a B-monster movie with something along the likes of "Blood Diamond" or "Hotel Rwanda."

Journalist Tim Manfrey (Dominic Purcell) and his cameraman Steven (Orlando Jones) are sent into Burundi, along with female reporter Aviva (Brooke Langdon)to search and capture the legendary "Gustave", a 2000-pound crocodile reputed to have killed more than 300 people. Directed by Michael Katleman, the film feels like a direct-to-video release that that tries hard to throw to the audience something more than it should. As a result, the film gets confused and fails to provide Gustave with a sense of menace as the croc is reduced to a marginal character in a film filled with awful one-liners that contributes more hypocritical preaching on African genocide than genuine suspense.

If there's something good to be found here, it's that the cinematography is impressive at times and that the film is short enough. But then again, when things get going only after the first 45 minutes or so, it barely makes up for its flaws. In the end, "Primeval" is bad and it isn't so bad enough to be good.