The Man from Earth (2007) Poster

What is the need of amusement parks if you have movies like this!
bakliwalananya18 October 2020
One of the best movies i have watched till now , its just amazing . I never thought that just a conversation of 89 mins can be so so interesting and thrilling. The movies which leave you thinking are the best ones and it is one of them. I really loved the plot, script ,direction everything was perfect except the acting , i think casting could have been better. The way the movie starts with a slow pace and gradually takes the shape of a fast thriller ,amused me. The way everything was explained so expertly and smoothly was great. I really liked how the movie ended on a note that the person watching can take his/her perception and can think what would have been the truth. I would highly recommend you to watch this masterpiece.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A black comedy, maybe.
Delrvich9 September 2020
It would seem that most people, like in the movie, will close their minds to something that conflicts with their education, training, and or beliefs.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basic, Simple, Excellent !
bluestrat5 September 2020
I just finished watching this for the 5th time. I watch it approximately every 2 years. Wonderful atmosphere, good acting, excellent dialog. A great conceptual movie...
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure scifi
chelseabb-922 July 2020
This is the kind of film that just concentrates on amazing concepts. I only watched it once so far and it was amazing. Wonder how much I'll pick up on the 2nd viewing.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful idea that could have been 'movied' better.
sahuneeraj12 July 2020
What an extraordinary movie. Such a brilliant concept. Content wise this one is a masterpiece. Yes, actors could have done better. But apart from that, it is an amazing film.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like an attention black hole
preetjee3139 June 2020
I did not have many expectations when I started the movie but it had me hooked tight within the first 15 mins. The premise is mouth watering and revelations made throughout keep the plot engaging.

3 - 8/6/2020
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diamond in the rough
garman-6745814 May 2020
This is a true hidden gem. It's interesting, thought provoking, and a slow burn drama that leaves your head swiveling at the end. It's a VERY dialogue heavy movie, which is not for everyone, but if you loved movies like 12 Angry Men, My Dinner with Andre, Glengarry Glenross, The Breakfast Club, The King's Speech, or others similar, then you'll appreciate this movie a lot. I can't believe so few people know about it. It's filmed on a shoestring budget, so probably didn't have much distribution or marketing, but it blew away my expectations.
Interesting and Engagaing
debayansinha011113 May 2020
As Rene Descartes said " I think therefore i am" , this movie engages you to think beyond your spectrum and question the reality.

The entirety of this movie was shot on a room where people with expertise in different fields of study try to decipher the true identity of their friend.

A masterpiece and a must watch.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film making at its best!!
paulsamuel-4817724 April 2020
I was completely hooked right from the first scene till the end of movie. This movie is an classic example, that don't require CGI's, adrenaline pumping fight sequence to keep the audience glued towards the seat. It's a complete roller coaster ride and you will wish, the movie could have been extended some more time. Not to mention the performance of every artist, they lived up to the character. Kudos to the director for giving this hidden gem. Forget about all the negative discussions of this movie. If you are a movie buff, this movie is complete different experience and you'll definitely love it!! My rating - 9/10
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'll either love or hate it. I love it
mitch_phxaz13 March 2020
It's an amazing thought provoking movie. It's a thought process of a movie not JJ Abrams. If you're expecting beautiful CGI to be science fiction you'll be disappointed. You could listen to the movie and have the same engagement as watching.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A creative triumph and a must watch for sci-fi buffs!
sammehta18 February 2020
After the approximate hour and a half of the film's runtime, I sat still in my bedroom, wondering "Wow! That was indeed one hell of a movie".

Very rarely do Hollywood, or for that matter any "'wood" comes up with a movie based on just dialogues, and makes your brain question and work out the plot! The Man from Earth is not just a movie which you watch with your eyes and ears. It is a movie which forces you to run your brains, to derive conclusions based on the dialogues. And biggest of all- whether you believe it is real or just a tell-tale!

I am sure if a hundred movie-goers watch the movie, atleast half of them would bash the movie for being unrealistic and hurting religious sentiments blah blah! But these are the people who have never used, and thus sadly don't know how to use their brain for inference and debate.

A story of a Cro-Magnon, living until the present time is not something you'd ) come across even once in a decade or two! As one of Professor Dan's (Tony Todd) dialogues in the film, "How often do we get to meet someone who says he is a Stone Age man?" All the arguments and rebuttals in this sci-fi flick are accurately based and make complete sense if given a proper thinking to! The only character I hated and wished she weren't in the movie was Edith (Ellen Crawford). Edith is just a blind follower of Christianity who although accepts that Bible(or for that matter any so called "holy book") has undergone a lot of changes, yet she has this unshakable belief in God. Good for her! But she has absolutely zero logic to her arguments and she is more often than not, irritating and a liability in the living room.

The end of the movie, I won't spoil it for those reading this review, is really satisfying to the whole story.

Go ahead and surely watch this movie. This isn't a kind of movie which you can binge watch on a night after a tiring day or just to take your mind off things. You actually need to think throughout the movie and make sense of everything being said! But be rest assured, it is completely sensible and logical.
A Dogmatic Film That is Literally a Reflection of its Own Palpable Themes
MOVIE-REVIEW-POOPSHOOTs12 January 2020
The Man From Earth; such a vague, ambiguous title for a film that is so apprehensible. But only if you allow it to be. Now, this is a science-fiction movie, and you will immediately find out why it is as such. But there are other aspects of the plot that are presented on behalf of its most 'sci-fi' trait that are not intended to be construed as such. Rather, these themes are to be deduced as 'questionable' rather than 'fictional'.

For many viewers, the difference between what is certainly possible and what is probably not will be very distinguished. In addition, you may also feel that this film almost renders itself as an intermediate of your own conceivable reality - you just never knew how to express it. For these sort of viewers, such as myself, this film is a delight to watch. It is captivating, expressive, thought-provoking, and will have the same tears you shed in brief sadness become tears of joy before you are able to wipe them away.

The Man From Earth has a very basic and stoic plot that is remarkably powerful due to the gravity of the themes that are addressed. At its core, this film simple and organic, but that hardly means it will be perceived as such. Just as anything in life, this movie will be subject to each of our own 'filters' as our minds find their own ways of dealing with it.

The Man from Earth is a replica of its own conjurations. And whether the creators intended such irony or not, it is without a doubt what makes it so poetic.
Well developed!
bumbray9912 May 2019
In this movie the plot thickens very well, it will have you yelling at the screen!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought Provoking
Marwan-Bob22 March 2019
My Favorite Kind of Sci-fi Films Simple Low Budget and Thought Provoking, Captivating story-telling which lets go only once the movie finished.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really enjoyed thie film.
hyewonchang9 January 2019
I liked it overall, except the film showed the male characters to be logical and outspoken, but the famale characters to be religious or illogical and reserved. I think there is some inequitable gender dipiction. However, I think the screenwriting is brilliant. I enjoyed a lot watching it, and it makes me think about a lot of things. Thank you for making this film.
Unique in all aspects
seekingallthetime24 October 2018
I gave it 9 out of 10. Why? Because not only this wonderful film is so attractive throughout the story, it does have a mind blowing idea with totally mesmerized story and in this regard it is certiainly a unique film. It touches deep down in your brain provoking those hidden question which are hidden and tells what possibly be an alternative explanation. I love that and I love this film. Acting is perfect in my opinion and the script totally justifies with the story. I strongly recommend it. And after writing this review, I just changed my mind, I am going to give it 10/10.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing script
pablo_magana10 October 2018
This is one of those things that make movies so grate. The scrip of this movies over shine most of the sci-fi movies of today. It's simply shows that a well done script can take a movie very far.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A science fiction offering an alternative, and a hymn to philosophy.
manuelwinchester2 September 2018
That was sensational in a few words; a proper science fiction debate instilled in philosophy and critical thinking, and, a thoughtful masterpiece which puts the audience to think about and doubt any principle. "The Man from Earth" represents the most profound Q&A game by revisioning the history itself and humanity's passage. A film you can imagine a fervent Skeptic has composed it, only to counteract our genuine beliefs via science fiction scenarios. An echoing "what if" it continually emerges in the film as something like Rene Descartes' thought experiment with the evil demon. Jerome Bixby's idea, the film's writer, is not just different and pioneering, but also a revolutionary one. How many times have we involved ourselves in an endless debate about essential and existential matters? I dare to say several. By participating in such debates we discover and recreate our views, constantly moulding our personalities. And that is the biggest success of this extraordinary film. I expected nothing else from a movie shot in only one place, because, movies directed likewise becoming critically acclaimed. And that's the case with "The Man from Earth" and the director Richards Schenkman who stages a bunch of particularly representative characters sophisticated enough to sustain a relentless, thoughtful debate. Each one serves a domain, for example, biology, psychology and religion; but all of them are absorbed in a discussion that will make them reconsider their firmest beliefs. "The Man from Earth" creates a unique interaction which enforces the audience to experience every question and get even more surprised with the accompanied answer which renders it definitely interesting at first, and exceptional after watching it.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of thinking that we could bring through a lifetime
linearattack30 August 2018
At first sight, I could tell this is a low budget movie, with poor editing and poor camera, I started to doubt this movie. If you watch a loooot of movies, than probably you doubt this movie too, how the gesture of the actors, their blocking technique, they certainly aware of the camera.

But then I started to realize, there's something more about this movie. Like expressionism art, it should not be pretty visually. A discussion that actually the same thing that we could hear from podcasts, is amazing. This is not necessarily produced as a movie, I dont feel like watching this on a theater, I'd rather watch it on my laptop, so I could just rewind parts that I missed, but thats okay and turned out great.

Eventually, I bring something for me to hold, thoughts.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make your best effort not to give up on this
jrarichards8 August 2018
There are several points in Richard Schenkman's "The Man from Earth" in which differently-motivated watchers may feel inclined to reach for the "off" switch. The first time will be about 10-15 minutes in, and the motivation will relate either to the basic sci fi premise (no spoilers, but it's bound to be an instant turnoff for some), or to a query from many a typical filmgoer as to how interesting 5 or 6 University types questioning their close, about-to-leave, colleague John Oldman (David Lee Smith) in a remote cottage somewhere can really get!

On the latter score the makers do as much as they can, as the "solid front" of clone-like colleagues rapidly disperses into displays from each of different emotions, different attitudes. Aggression, disbelief, mockery, cynicism, acceptance are all released, but above them all is the spirit of eager scientific inquiry and open-mindedness that OUGHT TO BE present in every academic. We of science do our jobs by hypothesis-testing and taking nothing for granted, nothing at face value. And here a cerebral script allows the most to be made of that desirable truth about academics.

Nevertheless, Ellen Crawford serves increasingly well as the uptight religious one (notwithstanding her academic side), while John Billingsley is there in his typical kindly+witty avuncular role. Then there is the coolly sarcastic hip one and his beautiful young girlfriend/student who represents the openness of youth, and then there is that ever-welcome player Tony Todd as the kindly, accepting, philsophical one. That leaves Richard Riehle as the psychiatrist who wants to help - but is also ultimately the most aggressive responder to the situation.

Together, this crew throw themselves at John from as many different angles as you can easily think of - not only scientific; and as the time passes this interaction gets richer and richer. Furthermore, it's not all between each individually and John, but also via a web of connections across the group, which makes things interesting. A few other plot twists creep in to further diversify the format.

The Ellen Crawford character wants to "switch off" at one key point, and there are many in the audience who will likely find themselves tempted to do likewise. I surprised myself by being in this group, thinking a step too far had been taken. But I plucked up the courage to come back to it, and don't regret it, as the film's best work is done after this point, and some worthwhile (if definitely somewhat uncomfortable) questions about religion are raised, in a very clever way.

Indeed, the film starts off looking stilted and rather faux-intellectual but definitely ends up looking like the real thing.

Did the actors get into what they were doing? Or is it an adjustment from the audience? Either way, it's fascinating how it happens.

Wherever you look in this film you will see the name Bixby, mostly - though not solely - Jerome Bixby. He's behind a shockingly unforgettable piece of sci fi from 1953 called "It's a Good Life", which sets an ENTIRELY different tone from "The Man from Earth". On the other hand, the idea used here got its first outing when Bixby wrote the "Requiem for Methusaleh" episode of the original "Star Trek", so anybody who's a fan of "ST:TOS" will recognise elements of this.

And sweetly, ST is referred to in the film, several of whose actors have also appeared in different manifestations of "Trek", so that's a pleasing side-effect for those in the know.

Main message: this is ultimately a far better quality film than you can imagine at the outset, so do stick with it...
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never would have thought it had potential....
terrasilex16 May 2018
Loved it.....good chance it will surprise you.....
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating.
dariansdad11 February 2018
Is that too simple? Maybe. But, this film brings up questions that I've never heard before and discusses possible answers in a medium that normally chooses to titillate rather than stimulate.

Kudos to Jenkins and the team for bringing the book to life on the screen. Although shot on a small budget in virtually one location, it is of no import. The story and the way all the actors immersed into the story was the big sell.

I heard about the movie on some site, somewhere and was fascinated by the story and the method of distribution. Turns out that pirates made the this movie popular; popular enough to bring some money around to make a second. I have seen both and you'll have to read my review over there for the rest of the story.

I want to watch this again in about three months after I have fully digested it.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is one of those little known about, hidden gems
walleye-4253718 January 2018
Ok, for those of you that have read my comments on movies in the past, you know I rarely have given a movie a rating of over 8. Especially a movie that might have a smaller budget (most of them I have seen just aren't that good). This one however, IS THAT GOOD.

It has a very interesting concept and story line as well as some Actors you will have seen from MANY other projects, especially guest starring on TV shows, heavy on sci-fi.

The Lead is David Lee Smith who has been in a few things but popped up as Lt. Stetler on CSI:Miami towards the end of it's run. He is easily a "Go To" lead in my opinion.

Tony Todd whom I saw for the first time in the remake of "Night of the Living Dead" and who I think has been on nearly every Sci-Fi and Horror Show since the 90's and is a very solid actor is also on board.

John Billingsley, another actor in this movie that has a ton of work on his resume but I think is best known as Dr. Phlox on Star Trek:Enterprise.

Ellen Crawford who has been acting since I was a Senior in High School and is best known as Nurse Wright on ER.

Richard Riehle who is another one you will recognize instantly and probably has been on nearly every TV show ever made since the 70's lol.

A few other relative unknown actors who are surprisingly good and then of course.......

A personal favorite of mine as a youngster, "The Greatest American Hero" himself, MR. William Theodore Katt. I remember back in the mid 80's he saved me from being forced to watch what I thought was going to be a complete disaster of a movie on a first date with a young girl who I was VERY smitten with and I thought that the date would be equally disastrous as I really liked her but I didn't think the feeling was mutual. Then to find out she dragged me to a movie called, "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend" at a theater with nasty popcorn, well, I was simply contemplating going to the bathroom for the 1 1/2 hours of the movie lol. As I was looking for the closest exit, Lo and Behold, I was in for several surprises that evening, first off, the Popcorn was still nasty, but I saw William Katt appear on the screen and with his quirky acting ability, he did not disappoint. And then the biggest surprise of them all, after about 5 minutes into the movie, the girl turned and looked at me and said, "Thank you very much for taking me to this movie, I really wanted to see it but none of my friends or family wanted to". Then she proceeded to lightly grab my chin, pulled my face to hers and gave me "THE KISS". You know, "the kiss" that made everything in your body, mind, and soul come alive and you just knew she was "The One".

Anyways, back to The Man from Earth. The movie was shot at basically one location which kills more movies than it helps. At that point, in order for a movie to "Make it", it needs to have a Strong Story, Acting, and Dialogue. Most movies like this fail miserably, but not this one. The story by Jeremy Bixby was SOLID. He had a small resume of some sci-fi show writing like Star Trek and others, but I believe this was his first ever stand alone "Book". Well, Mr. Bixby NAILED IT. Sadly he passed away in 1998 and never got to see his Book turned into this WONDERFUL movie.

The Directing is also pretty important and Richard Schenkman who had about a dozen Directorial projects under his belt when he took the helm of this project did a Bang Up job with it.

The Acting was Solid and what you would expect out of a mostly very experienced cast and the Dialogue was pretty decent with more High Points than low ones.

I don't know what the Budget was on this movie, I can't believe it was very much with most of it probably going to Cast and Crew, but when I see a movie like this, it shows that even a lower budget movie can have the look and feel of a Big Name Studio Flick with a Larger Budget.

I have seen this movie over 9 times during the course of the last 10 years and I am entertained every time. They recently came out with a Sequel to it, "The Man from Earth, Halocene" which I just watched and they are planning on hopefully a 3rd installment or better yet, making it into a series. There is so much and so many directions sequels and/or a series can explore with the Main Character, John Oldman. I have no doubt this franchise would end up becoming something many people would watch and become vested in. At the very least, it would end up with a large Cult following for sure.

I gave this movie a 9, something I rarely do. While it may not be as strong as some of the other movies I gave 9's to, it is just more than an 8. While not perfect (very few movies are), it has MANY more good things about it than bad and it is a movie that really makes you think "What If?"

Do yourself a favor, track this movie down and watch it. Then, watch it a second, third, and fourth time and you will really grow to love it.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good example for a well-thought story AND an extra-ordinary execution
vborn22 November 2017
The movie "The Man from Earth" presents a theory, which even leads to many other inspiring theories. In my opinion this movie is not just something for people who have the rationality to hear other perspectives. I actually hope especially people who are fixed on their strong belief to take a look on this movie, because it also teaches us the true meaning of how we should "believe".

Jerome Bixby did a very good job in executing his idea. The story began with curiosity and it lead to even more curiosity. Usually I expect the visuals to tell the story. But in this movie the visual storytelling didn't have that much of a relevance with the exception of the details. The movie was still captivating the spectator with the very realistic and pleasant dialogues. Also the simple characters make it possible for everyone to watch the movie.

And these roles were filled with delightful performances, especially David Lee Smith and Tony Todd made it so easy to understand the characters.

I hope those who still didn't watch the movie will give it a try. Because of the simple execution and because of less visuals as well it may be not the type of movie for everybody. But I guess you've got nothing to lose to just give it a try.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Single Conversation with Countless Ideas
Sparse9 June 2017
The Man from Earth is based on a screenplay conceived by Jerome Bixby and completed shortly before his passing. About a decade later, the film went into production. This movie is for anyone who loves sci-fi, or just thought-provoking texts in general.

This sci-fi fantasy is one of my favorite films, but is really more of a conversation than a film. It explores various topics and ideas, and will keep you engaged and interested. As a film however (from a production standpoint), it's far from perfect.

The cinematography and direction are fine. The video and audio quality are just OK. The acting is a little shaky, sometimes distractingly. The music is serviceable, though isn't necessarily anything special. Overall, it's not very impressive from a technical angle. Considering the layers of inquiry central to the film, there's a lot more that could have been done from a directorial standpoint. To the director's credit though, the film holds up well considering the low budget and the fact that it takes place almost entirely in a single room. To most people that would seem pretty boring, but The Man from Earth manages to be both interesting and engaging, with no small amount of help from the screenplay. It's the writing that I love it for (in fact, it's actually been adapted into a play, which seems more fitting).

The Man from Earth was written by Jerome Bixby, who worked as a writer on both Star Trek and The Twilight Zone (two of the most influential sci-fi works in history), and what made those shows compelling is just as present in The Man from Earth. This film explores multiple ideas, but this time through a single conversation: what if a man could survive from the prehistoric era to modern day?

At first, that seems like kind of a silly question. It's actually where the "fantasy" in "sci- fi fantasy" comes in, but they take this concept a long way. This conversation is an introspective reflection on history—an exploration of perception itself. As we listen to the main character speak, we get a sense of how the time and space around him not only affect what he perceives, but how he perceives it. It's basically saying that our circumstances are not only what we perceive, but our circumstances shape how we perceive it. It's very cyclical, and endlessly fascinating—not unlike principles of language. It's the exploration of these subjects that help The Man from Earth classify not only sci-fi, but propel it to among the best the genre has to offer.

There are also some rather fascinating deconstructions on religion. This includes new how religions borrow from past religions, and successive denial of borrowing at all. It also explores how someone's view of religion would be shaped after seeing so many religions come and go. Between the themes of living (essentially) forever and coping with death, the thoughts over religion fit right in.

There's a subplot or two that feels unnecessary, but overall it's a very interesting movie, with a handful of quotable lines even. The Man from Earth: Holocene is coming up very soon, and though I'm VERY skeptical that this sequel is necessary (or could even be good), I'll give it a chance. (Also it's got Michael Dorn so whoooo!) I recommend this film to anyone who is a science-fiction fan, or just likes movies that make you think.

Score: 9/10
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.