"The Twilight Zone" The Fear (TV Episode 1964) Poster

(TV Series)

(1964)

Prowlers from space
bkoganbing4 February 2014
A rather wealthy heiress who has one royal high opinion of herself and a state trooper get thrown together on a mysterious night. Hazel Court and Peter Mark Richman positively can't stand each other, but before their time together is over they will have succeeded in repelling an invasion from outer space.

Richman answers a call about prowlers from Court near her house. What they find is some interesting aliens full of illusion and trickery.

This was a very clever episode that holds up well even today. I can only hope that first contact with these aliens is made by people like Richman and Court.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Control Your Limbic System.
rmax30482325 April 2013
A state trooper visits a young woman who is a recluse in a mountain cabin to ask her about strange lights. A strange light floods the cabin. The trooper goes out into the darkness to investigate and finds his car, despite its emergency brake being set, rolling down the driveway and turning over. The trooper (Richman) and the terrified woman (Court) are now isolated because neither the police car's radio nor the cabin's telephone works, and the nearest village is thirty miles away.

A noise outside attracts the policeman, who now finds the car upright with four huge fingerprints on it's side, suggesting it's been moved by a giant hand. There are only four prints, indicating that either the giant has only four finger like Mickey Mouse or that it has an opposable thumb that isn't engaged. Giant footprints complete the picture of a fifty-foot monster.

Nothing to do but wait until daylight. Over coffee, Court admits that she seems snobbish but it's because she wants to drive everyone away, since she fears them. Richman admits that he's been in two wars and is a police officer and he knows what fear is.

"There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them", observed Andre Gide. That turns out to be the case here. Next morning, the duo are confronted by a towering homonid figure in what looks like a space suit. The two overcome their fear and Richman plugs it full of holes, upon which it collapses. It's a huge balloon filled with air.

Behind the now-collapsed homonid blimp is a small space ship with two tiny figures inside, begging their leader that they be allowed to get the hell out of there because earthlings refuse to be frightened into submission. Zipp! -- and they're gone. Richman and Court smile at one another and we can practically hear the faint chime of wedding bells.

It's not a bad episode, considering it was the last. It carried a simple message, if an impractical one. Richman is okay, turning in the performance of a seasoned TV actor, but Hazel Court, despite being curiously attractive, lacks a convincing voice.

What I need to know is how these two miniature buggers in the space ship managed to disengage the car's emergency brake and then set the car back upright during the night. That's what scares me.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scream Queen in a tale with a message
darrenpearce11115 November 2013
This episode is very quaint now and, in parts, laughable too. However, it does deliver a nice message concerning the title. This is the sort of Zone to watch in a marathon or sandwiched between some others, it's light but has a nostalgic sort of appeal.

Hazel Court (Scream Queen from Hammer's first Frankenstein and several Roger Corman films inspired by Poe) and Mark Richman play an unlikely duo come together to face the unknown. I rather like the last shot of Ms Court and the last line delivered by Richman, but you'll have to watch it to see what I mean. One of the better of the very last episodes, as the series limped towards it's own fate with rubbish like The Encounter, Caesar and Me, and The Bewitchin' Pool.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so horrible I couldn't watch it, but needed better writing
talonjensen30 March 2018
Unlike some of the other reviews I blame the poor acting on the writing, there is only so much actors can do if they decide to follow their lines.

I've seen both of the actors do better in other shows, so I think it is writing/direction that is a little weak. I do think this episode is a little below average for The TZ, but I do prefer episodes where I can't guess the ending twist.

I did like that the monster was shown as blowing in the wind a little before we are told it is a balloon, it gives the viewer another important clue to the reality of the episode.

One of the goofs is supposed to be the car on its side, which could have been the parking brake releasing as it rolled down the hill, because it clearly is no longer where he parked it. But, they both express disbelief as to believing in failed brakes which is realistic. So, I don't think that goof is correct.

I did like the little mischievous glint in the woman's eyes as the episode ends. lol
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Fear".....of the unknown
chuck-reilly28 January 2008
"The Fear" explores a familiar theme with narrator and writer Serling. By fear, Serling was referring to the fear of the unknown. In this case, it's an alien invasion that lands out in the boondocks and near recluse Hazel Court's remote cottage. When state trooper Mark Richman shows up to investigate, they're both confronted with what appears to be a gigantic alien being that is seemingly impossible to defeat. Colossal footprints are everywhere and all signs indicate that the two of them are doomed. As it turns out, the alien monster isn't quite as big as they thought it was. Perception soon turns to reality as Court and Richman discover that the only thing to fear is "fear itself."

Nothing outstanding in this episode except to note that the Twilight Zone's budget was minimal at best. Richman and Court's dialog is a bit contrived and forced, through no fault of their own. The beautiful red-headed Ms. Court was a fixture in "B" horror films throughout the 1950s and early 1960s and she tries her best to put some life into this episode. Unfortunately, this story was one of the weaker ones in Serling's vault and seemed to be aimed at a very young audience. It does make its point, however.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Been There, Done That
Hitchcoc16 April 2014
This isn't a bad episode, but if you've watched The Twilight Zone long enough, you've seen the same basic plot done before a couple times. The idea of some sort of mystery force doing things to frighten us simple earthlings has appeared before. In this one a woman has sought refuge in the woods after suffering a nervous breakdown. She has reported seeing some bright lights and a trooper comes to her home. She is full of anger and belittles the "hicks" that live in the area and is eventually scolded by the young man who appears to be her intellectual equal (he even quotes Shakespeare). Fear, as the title indicates, is the central theme here. There is something out there that is big and impressive and threatening. The couple soon find themselves allied against the unknown. The trooper's patrol car is tipped over, the radio disabled, and huge fingerprints (that look like they have been painted on) appear on the side of the car. Later, the cruiser is back upright. I won't go any farther because the resolution would be unfair to the viewer. Let me just say that it is a bit schmaltzy.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It's how you react to fright, that's what really counts".
classicsoncall12 September 2010
Earlier entries in the series dealt with a similar theme - the second season's 'The Invaders', and 'The Little People' in the third season. Further evidence that The Twilight Zone was about to run it's course, as various other topics had received the retread treatment more than once as well. As a stand alone tale of terror and tiny people, this one works OK, but just OK, with that blow up balloon of a Cyclops alien being just a bit over the top. The more imaginative thing here was that set of giant fingerprints on the trooper car; that was a fairly creative touch. But how the car wound up on it's side in the first place simply defied any kind of credibility. At worst, it would merely have hit a tree or some heavy brush and just stopped. Can't be too critical though. With one more story to go before the series ended, The Twilight Zone provided more interesting tales than clunkers in it's five seasons, and a legacy that keeps on providing fanciful entertainment to this day.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fear Itself
telegonus27 September 2016
The Fear is a pretty good sendoff (well almost, but not quite) from the Twilight Zone, and it doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves, at least as I see it. As science fiction, it isn't much; and from that perspective, given the reputation of the series I can see why many find it a letdown, and a rather repetitive one at that. The good news is that there really are aliens in this one.

For me it works as a two character story about how people face fear, with one person a self-confessed angst-ridden New Yorker, the other a state trooper, veteran of two wars, thus presumably a seasoned fear fighter, so to speak. Not so easy, though, where the unknown is concerned; and by the half-way point in this story he's getting a bit rattled himself.

Both characters learn a lesson in life. As to exactly what it is, I can't say, however what strikes me as the often self-referential nature of the Twilight Zone itself is the moral of the story: strange things do go bump in the night sometimes, and this might not be your imagination. It could also be your television set, specifically the show you're watching, that's yanking your chain, and in the end you're going to be alright.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Zone-The Fear
Scarecrow-881 January 2011
I can see why THE TWILIGHT ZONE couldn't survive past the 5th season as evident in the rather unspectacular THE FEAR, despite two strong performers in Mark Richman(the a$$hole teacher on the boat in "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan")and the gorgeous Hazel Court(her kind of beauty is definitely missed)who try to make the most of it. The plot is simple--there could be alien invaders surrounding the wilderness home of Court, a snobbish outsider from "the big city" who escapes from a nervous breakdown with not-so-hospitable feelings for the common folk(she calls "country bumpkins")and so a trooper(Richman)hangs around to keep her safe. Both are scared silly about what might be out there leaving giant finger and footprints as a calling card. Trooper Robert Franklin(as brought to us by Richman)sounds and acts exactly like Serling, kind of unrealistic..I think at some point he even quotes Shakespeare, a means I guess to prove that not all country hicks are uneducated and lack communication skills. Hazel is mostly worried and lovely. Her opening is pretty hostile, in the script she admits to using such acid as a means to mask underlying psychological troubles. Her occupation is a fashion editor, and she cuts into the trooper upon his immediate entrance. So the two eventually bond over the night as the fear continues as they wonder if some giant alien creature plans to crush them. What they do encounter leaves less to be desired and sure fell flat, something Serling normally delivered with panache. Even Serling had his off days..
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Unknown
AaronCapenBanner8 November 2014
Peter Mark Richman stars as Trooper Robert Franklin, who is checking up on a cabin inhabited by visiting big city fashion editor Charlotte Scott(played by Hazel Court) whom he dismisses as a snob after an argument, but the coincidental arrival of a UFO seemingly manned by a giant causes them much fear, though as it will turn out, it will become a question of who is really afraid of who... Run-of-the-mill episode has little originality or purpose, having been done before and better in the series. Though Richman in particular is perfectly fine, thin and even bland effort comes up short. Would prove to be the penultimate episode of the series as well.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.