"The Sopranos" Toodle-Fucking-Oo (TV Episode 2000) Poster

(TV Series)

(2000)

The boy is back in town
ctomvelu-14 August 2008
Richie Aprile, the late don's older brother, is back in town after 10 years in the can, and quickly moves to reassert himself. This includes ramming and then running over someone who supposedly is under Tony's protection. While Richie is a head shorter and much older than Tony, he is defiant almost to the point of physical confrontation with the new boss. He dead-stares Tony as Tony dresses him down, not once but twice. Richie also cozies up to the easily flattered Junior, pledging his undying loyalty to the old fart. Meanwhile, Meadow throws a wild party at Livia's house, and the cops get called in. Meadow deftly manipulates her father as he tries to discipline her. You have to catch her priceless facial expressions as she knows she has won. Dr. Melfi has a breakdown, thanks to Tony. Kudos to David Proval as Richie Aprile. This veteran character actor makes you truly believe Richie is a scary, dangerous man. A great episode.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Raging Richie
Max_cinefilo8927 March 2008
Although the first film people usually come up with when discussing The Sopranos is Goodfellas, there are times when other gangster flicks are just as deserving to be mentioned. In the case of this episode and a few others from Season 2, for example, it is suitable to compare them to Mean Streets, the Martin Scorsese masterpiece that better than any other picture depicted street life and gave the world the first proof of Robert De Niro's talent.

The main link between Marty's film and David Chase's show is, once again, all in the casting: while several series regulars and guest stars appeared in Goodfellas as well, David Proval comes straight from Mean Streets. Proval, who played one of Harvey Keitel's associates in the film, joins the cast as Richie Aprile, older brother of the deceased Jackie, who has just been paroled after ten years in the joint. It doesn't take long before he starts to cause trouble, though: he sends a former client to the hospital, doesn't get along with Christopher (the latter slapped Adriana, who happens to be Richie's niece) and disagrees with most of Tony's decisions, finding a more sympathetic ally in Uncle Junior, who is old-school in everything except the language ("Federal marshals are so far up my ass I can taste Brylcreem" - a classic!). Meanwhile, Meadow gets in trouble for throwing a party in Livia's empty house, and Dr. Melfi freaks out because of the effect Tony has on her life.

Apart from the memorable line Junior delivers, Toodle-F**cking-Oo calls for plaudits for how it develops two established characters and introduces two new ones: in the first case, Meadow comes off as more "rebellious" than her attitude in Season 1 suggested, while Dr. Melfi, wonderfully incarnated by Lorraine Bracco, shows that psychiatrists might have as many problems as their patients (a concept that is used to terrific effect in Showtime's drama Huff); this situation leads to the screen debut of Melfi's own therapist, Elliot Kupferberg, a welcome return from oblivion for New Hollywood legend Peter Bogdanovich, who does however play second fiddle to Proval's gut-driven energy. Even though it's been 27 years since Mean Streets, Richie acts as if nothing had changed, right down to the way he casually commits acts of unspeakable violence. "I thought I told you to back off Beansie!" Tony yells. "I did, and then I hit Drive!" is the instantly cool answer. It is almost possible to hear "Jumping Jack Flash" all over again...
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Toodle-F(i can't believe IMDb makes me censor it) -Oo (#2.3)
ComedyFan20105 March 2014
One of the members of the group, Richie April, comes out of jail after spending there 10 years. He is not used to the changes and also already causes trouble by severely injuring somebody. Meadow is testing her limits with Sopranos after cops come to her party. And Dr. Melfi seems to have problems because she decided not to have Tony as a patient anymore.

A pretty good episode. Richie, greatly portrayed by David Proval seems like he will be a great character. He will definitely bring a lot of trouble. His relation with Janice may also contribute to it.

The Meadow story I could do without, but it wasn't too bad. It just didn't make sense to me all the things she told to her parents. I would never tell mine back in the days that I had access to ecstasy, and my parents aren't in the mafia.

I did really like the part with Dr. Melfi. Was both great to see her in the chair as well, and so was the fact that she may get Tony back soon. I miss their scenes.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this