"The Outer Limits" The Galaxy Being (TV Episode 1963) Poster

(TV Series)

(1963)

Setting the tone for the series
GazHack10 December 2007
The first episode of The Outer Limits contains many elements which would reoccur throughout its run. A dedicated scientist who is obsessed with his work and neglects his emotional life until it's almost too late. A misunderstood alien visitor. A clash between high ideals of scholarship and the more venal concerns of commerce and greed. There are some minor differences between this pilot and later episodes, most notably a slightly longer title sequence which merges into the first scene of the story. But the strengths of the series are self-evident: intelligent writing, a well-realised alien creature and a terrific film noir look to it all, lots of stark shadows and a hard cold look to the picture. Cliff Robertson is ideal as the man reaching out to the stars, but missing the importance of people around him. A great template for the series.
36 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not surprisingly, the first show from the series was about aliens...
MartinHafer26 September 2011
Cliff Robertson stars as a radio station owner and amateur scientist. Using his station's transmitter, he's begun sending messages across the galaxy--and has created a device to transmit images in 3-dimensions! And, not surprisingly, he DOES make contact--with a weird-looking but seemingly benevolent creature. However, the alien was warned him NOT to increase the power output. Later, however, a stupid DJ jacks up the power--and this somehow sucks him through the device to planet Earth! However, there is something about the alien's biochemistry--he exudes radiation and an electrical storm follows him as he walks about the planet. Eventually, Robertson discovers the alien and wants to help send him back home.

This is an interesting episode because of two big reasons. First, the alien was NOT evil--just different and curious. It was a bit change from the typical alien in 50s sci-fi movies. Second, when you read on IMDb's trivia page how they made this very effective looking alien, it's really amazing how cheaply they made the creature--as "The Outer Limits" had a tinny budget and always seemed to make the most of it. The net effect is an entertaining and quite philosophical look at alien life as well as human nature. A good start to the series.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent pilot with daring discussion.
Patrick Broderick17 August 2014
As the other reviewers pointed out, this was the beginning of a wonderful series of science fiction on early television. Even with a limited budget,Leslie Stevens & his colleagues managed to convey the effects needed for each thought-provoking story very well. Even the Schaper Cootie lookalikes in "The Zanti Misfits" scared the s#!+ out of me when I was a kid. (I couldn't play with the toy/game for a couple of months after that.)

But this episode also contained a unique, fascinating discussion of God, life & death and existence - an interesting give and take on mortality, immortality and how the universe all tie in together on a basic level. Similar to Kenobi explaining the Force to Luke but more grounded in the real science of physics and matter.

When I first saw this, it blew my Catholic-raised mind. Then I realized this was from 1963 and was stunned it was even allowed to air. But sci-fi can get away with this kind of thing since it's not 'real'.

Like the 1st interracial kiss on "Star Trek" or discussions on racism and intolerance that wouldn't make mainstream TV for several more years - when "All in the Family" burst on the airwaves. (A show that would never be made now, thanks to political correctness.) If you haven't seen it, give this episode a try and see what your reaction is to the Q&A between the Terran and the Andromedan.

And remember, don't be offended. It's just another point of view.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Touch That Dial!
fenian21537 January 2010
The other review of this episode hit the nail on the head: a brilliant template for the series. Cliff Robertson plays the single-minded radio station technician who contacts a being from another galaxy. He discovers the Galaxy Being and himself share traits such as intense curiosity and a willingness to take huge risks. When he's forced by his wife to step away from his experiment for a time, Alan (Robertson) tells a fill-in disc jockey not to increase transmitter power. He neglects to tell him the reason for this request. Of course the DJ takes this as a challenge and, once Alan is gone, turns the power dial all the way to maximum. The Being from another world is then instantly transported to Earth and all hell breaks loose. Besides his appearance, the thing that made the biggest impression on my ten-year old mind when this was originally broadcast in 1963, was the alien's assertion that "...electromagnetic radiation, infinity, God...all the same".
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
End of Transmission
Claudio Carvalho10 February 2018
The radio station KXKVI operator Alan Maxwell (Cliff Robertson) uses most of the station´s power to research the space seeking life. When he contacts an extraterrestrial being from Andromeda, they exchange experiences and information. They agree that their experiment is illicit in both planets but they decide to go on in their conversation. However, Alan´s wife Carol Maxwell (Jacqueline Scott) interrupts him and forces Alan to go to a feast offered by the mayor and the community to him. The reluctant Alan goes to the banquet and leaves the channel of communication with the alien open in low power. He warns the Radio DJ Gene 'Buddy' Maxwell (Lee Philips) to keep the transmission in low power. However Buddy turns the power up to full, bringing the alien to Earth and causing havoc in the community.

("The Galaxy Being" is the first episode of "Outer Limits" with a great story of direct contact with an alien. In the period of the Cold War, there is an exaggerated importance and participation of the army. The special effects are ahead of time. The conclusion with the ignorance of the army and the being fading out is the reflection of this dark period. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "O Ser da Galáxia" ("The Galaxy Being")
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Start Of A 1960s Trilogy
StuOz25 June 2014
Cliff Robertson makes contact with a friendly being from the outer limits of the galaxy.

I was not alive in 1963 when this first aired, instead I first saw it in about 1980 when I was still a High School kid.

The wonderful musical score, the B&W photography, the script, the acting from Cliff Robertson (aka Shame from the Adam West Batman series) all come together to create a top pilot for a top series! This pilot has no negatives, everything about it is good. As for the series as a whole (which I will do 49 IMDb reviews for), I view The Outer Limits as a pre-Star Trek (1966).

Granted, Limits was a monster-of-the-week show and Star Trek was not, but both shows were complicated and adult compared to Irwin Allen's Big Four 1960s Shows...so for that reason I pair up Limits with Star Trek (and the 1967 series The Invaders makes that pair a trilogy).
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Outer Limits--The Galaxy Being
Scarecrow-883 January 2011
Stealing power from his radio station's transmitter shed, Alan Maxwell(Cliff Robertson), an "electronics wizard", believes he has made contact with an alien being in a far reaching galaxy. Through his "bleeding electricity" with expensive equipment such as transistors, circuits, cathode ray tubes so he can develop visual 3 dimensional waves of sound on a visible screen, Alan believes he can reach the "secrets of the universe." Through a binary system thanks to Alan's computer, the alien can communicate to him with thought patterns, telling him that it is from Andromeda. When Alan must attend an award ceremony in his honor for what the radio station has done for the community, a temporary DJ decides to turn up the transmitter power so his voice could be heard cross country in turn causing the alien being to surface on Earth, the creature's radioactive power a danger to any human being it comes in contact with. Essentially electromagnetic microwaves, the transmitter's signal caught the alien being, giving it form. Because the alien had a desire to explore against the wishes of those it belongs, there are consequences. Actually a non-violent creature, it saves Allan's wife when she is shot by military aiming to kill the alien at the command of the government, considering the being a threat to humankind. Good sci-fi story with a message beckoning mankind to seek out the mysteries of the universe and explore beyond our own planet. The story also warrants against using violence just because we may not understand those who are different than us. What I always liked about this show was how grounded in science it was. And the screenplay is quite intellectually sound(we are carbon based life forms, the alien is nitrogen), even if the budget for the show isn't as rewarding. Jacqueline Scott is Carol, Alan's wife, who pleads with him to abandon his radio experiments and pay more attention to her and his duties running the station. Lee Philips is Gene "Buddy" Maxwell, Alan's brother and the voice of the radio station, questioning why he is wasting so much electricity and not giving credence to the sponsors who pay for them to broadcast. The creature is essentially a man in a rubber suit, but through an effective lighting technique, giving the creature a bright glow, it is odd and unnerving.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just Don't SETI Well
darbski7 June 2017
Yeah, nobody mentioned the part about it being years before SETI was up and running. I know that we're so erudite about technology and all that we can look back and view with almost pitiful acknowledgment of this show's attempt to maybe tell another side of things - good or bad.

I give it a 10 because of the acting, and the fact that the presentation of life as another form of existence was very interesting considering our preconditioning that all must be made (even god) in our image.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Outer Limits-Episode one!!
Benedito Dias Rodrigues27 October 2017
This series finally landed officially here in Brazil,really good news if you living here,we must pray everyday when it's happen, l've figure out the most probable The Twilight Zone's alike,watching the first episode gave me a good impression and l'm very excited about to came,how l've been watching sixty series at once,following three movies between,l have to wait probable two months to watch the second episode,in this pilot had as guest star Cliff Robertson,not bad for a starting!!

Resume:

First watch: 2017 / How many: 1 / Source: DVD / Rating: 7.25
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First Transmission
AaronCapenBanner10 March 2016
First episode of this classic TV series stars Cliff Robertson as Alan Maxwell, who runs a radio station with his brother Gene(played by Lee Philips) who acts as a Disc Jockey there, while Alan is the explorer/inventor who creates a means of communicating with a being from another galaxy who is quite similar in feeling and circumstance to him, that is also conducting unauthorized experiments. When Alan is forced to attend a party, another DJ foolishly increases the power, ejecting the galaxy being out of his containment field and into the world, creating chaos in its wake... Fine way to start the series is both interesting and intelligent(if a bit contrived).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good Pilot for a great Science Ficiton show!
b_kite4 January 2018
Episode 1 has Adventurous radio station operator Alan Maxwell (Cliff Robertson) contacting a fellow experimenter and alien being in another galaxy. When he is forced however by his unbelieving wife (Jacqueline Scott) to go to a benefit event in his honor, he locks the being in 3D communication, but a upstart DJ who wants to impress by opening the signals range, boosts the signal all the way up, unknowingly sucking the alien, who's composed of electricity, into the remote desert town, witch wrecks havoc in the process. Now its up to Alan to send the alien being back in time before its to late.

Its no suprise that the first episode of this wonderful '60 sci fi anthology series was about a human contacting an alien being from another galaxy. The story about a radio station operator managing to find life outside earth thru a radio station signal is a pretty nice unique story. The creature itself is done very well I must say and holds up very good by today's standards. However the only thing that is keeping me from giving this a higher rating is that it seems every character in this thing is an insensitive idiot other then Cliff Robertson. The wife as I think another review stated is the worst and seems to be here for nothing other then to give Robertson's character a hard time, which makes it even more better towards the end when the being saves her life in an incredible stupid scene were she is accidentally shot. All in all its a nice start to a much to short lived series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting but Tacky
Hitchcoc1 January 2015
I'm just rewatching the original series. I have to say that while this episode has an interesting concept, the acting and the basic plot elements are lacking. The interaction among the characters is stiff and unbelievable. The wife is an insensitive stiff who refuses to listen to her husband, not even giving him a chance to explain himself or to involve him in what he is doing. Cliff Robertson has made an intergalactic connection where a being that is brought to him through waves he receives in a radio transmission station takes on a corporeal being when a silly dial is turned up by an idiot disc jockey. The thing begins to run around town, emitting some kind of death ray, while Cliff attends and awards ceremony in his honor. How they attempt to come to grips is amazingly stupid. Not a very good beginning to the series.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this