"Inspector Morse" The Way Through the Woods (TV Episode 1995) Poster

Superb episode based on a superb book!
TheLittleSongbird7 July 2009
I loved the book, but I thought the adaptation was better, again I could be biased as I do prefer John Thaw's interpretation of Morse. Speaking of Thaw, he was absolutely outstanding here, definitely one of his best performances of the character. Kevin Whately also shines in the episode, somehow loyal, yet yearning for a promotion. Malcolm Storry and James Grout are also excellent. Good supporting performances from Michelle Fairley, Chris Fairbank, Neil Dudgeon and Nicolas Le Prevost. But for me, Claire Holman was excellent as Dr Hobson, I loved her line, "I am looking for Chief Inspector... Looks like Mouse," it was very funny. The highlight of the episode has to be the scene in the woods with the murderer, one of Morse's best climaxes, honestly it was tense and so well-acted, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Beautiful music too, and the story line and characters hold up well despite a 2 year absence between this and the 7th series back in 1993. The episode isn't really faithful to the book, but it was so good in terms of plot and acting that I don't care to honest with you. 10/10 Bethany Cox.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Way Through The Woods
Ed Hadley27 January 2006
In my humble opinion, I think that this episode of Morse is up there with the best of them. The cinematography is crisp, the music is first class, the scenery is beyond compare, the acting is incredible and John Madden's direction is superb. This episode was adapted from Colin Dexter's book of the same name - the book itself is also one of his best - and though it changes several elements of the original story, it is (believe it or not) actually an improvement.

The tension between Morse and Lewis is portrayed exceptionally by Thaw and Whately and the murderer is one of the best developed murderers in the series!

This episode was the first in a series of one off specials of the series which appeared almost every year until the end of the programed with 'The Remorseful Day' in 2000. For anyone looking for a Morse episode which is thrilling and utterly absorbing and one which offers one of John Thaw's greatest performances - then this one is certainly for you.
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Tremendous Acting !!
Chas the Hacker29 July 2015
This is my choice for the very best episode of the Inspector Morse series. I've watched all of the series episodes from the beginning, and I noticed right away that the writing and acting improved as each season progressed. The chemistry between Morse and Lewis may have developed slowly, but now I cannot imagine the series casting any better actors for the lead roles. The characters are fallible and believable, and frankly, I never thought I could grow to love a British crime drama. Now, as for this particular episode.. the writing is superb, and the acting is absolutely tremendous. It is truly an edge-of-the-seat thriller at the end. I highly recommend it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Best Whodunit?
EngAnglo7 June 2017
The exception to the rule that "the book is always better than the screen version". This episode of Morse is far superior to the novel and one of the finest, if not the very best, whodunit.

As is usual for the Morse series, the supporting cast are top notch. Malcolm Storry is excellent as the antagonistic DCI Johnson, a Jekyll and Hyde character who appears to have Lewis' best interest at heart. The shady Daley family are all played superbly, as are the Michaels who hold the key to the case. Throughout the investigation, the jousting between Kevin Whately's Lewis and John Thaw's Morse adds to a mystery full of misdirection and red herrings, with an end solution which is both logical and convincing.

This has to go straight to the top of any whodunit fan's wishlist.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A truly first class episode.
Paul Evans26 March 2016
The Way through the Woods is arguably one of the finest episodes in Morse's history. For me it feels like the beginning of the end of Morse, after seven glorious series, we'd now only get a special each year.

It boasts an intelligent, strong, multi layered story, with twists and turns, and questions coming from all angles. We have a fantastic deal of tension between Morse and Lewis, some time since the pair worked together, both actors brought their A game to this particular story. It features one of the best endings of any show I can think of, masses of tension, a genuine feeling of unease.

It was an absolutely fantastic debut from Clare Holman as the much loved Dr Laura Hobson, she started off as she continued, full of sass and sarcasm. Tough job replacing the wonderfully charismatic Max, but she did it in style.

Beautifully acted as I've mentioned by all concerned, but Michelle Fairley steals the show, what an outstanding shift she put in, she made the ending something special. The realism and anger she put into Cathy Michaels is quite chilling.

One of the best, 9/10 (Up next, another one of the best, Daughters of Cain.)
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Agree with one reviewer, possibly the best Morse ever
E Canuck10 June 2018
I like the fact Morse does in fact merit some of the resentment his much put-upon Sergeant Lewis finally lets fly at him...though he's right about Lewis' strengths and his own. Despite being a dour and at times self-centred boss, Morse is forced to get down to brass tacks in the case when his brains are not winning him any friends and are alienating his work horse junior, nearly causing Lewis to jump ship. The case is interesting and its untangling seems to evolve naturally, with the counterpoint of Morse and Lewis' relationship tensions adding to the drama. The confession of Morse to one character that he'll die in the saddle and doesn't have much else in life to look forward to is poignant given his character's and John Thaw's deaths that fell quite close together.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
If You Go Out In The Woods Today You're In For A Big Surprise.
Robert J. Maxwell3 March 2011
I'm not going to vote on the number of stars this episode deserves because my attention was swept elsewhere by a tap on the shoulder from Morpheus but I can say the opening was of some interest. Morse has been away on holiday. Lewis's style has been tainted by his having had to work with a different DCI. Apparently, a murder investigation was botched. A man, killed in prison, was held responsible for three killings of young women but confesses on his deathbed that he was innocent of one of them.

Morse, determined to get to the bottom of it, finds a body in a wooded area, where the snotty woman pathologist on the scene twits him a little. She has nothing to be so uppity about. The skeleton, assumed to be that of the missing third victim, turns out to be that of a male instead of a woman. An anthropologist could tell a grown man's skeleton from a woman's on the spot after a one-minute exam. We learned to do it in physical anthropology blindfolded, and just from the skull.

Then, there was that lapse I referred to earlier.

The climax was genuinely tense. One of the most hellish looking women on earth holding a shotgun on Lewis as he digs the grave for her last victim -- and himself -- wearing a bloody shirt. Wow, is she angry! And she has reason to be, but after all you can't just go around killing people who get in your way. Those shotgun blasts are pretty convincing, though.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Beautifully Structured Plot
Hitchcoc12 March 2018
I always wonder how there can be so much animosity toward a person like Morse when he is the most successful, insightful detective imaginable. I suppose it's jealousy. There is apparently this guy running the department, who, no matter how many crimes are solved, constantly puts Morse under the microscope. I wonder what his department would look like if Morse hadn't saved his skin so many times. You do feel for Lewis. He is routinely abused and put down. He is incredibly hard working and good at what he does. Morse can be such an ungrateful ass. But in this episode, we get to see a whole cast come to the fore. We may not like most of them, but the sophistication of the plot speaks volumes. A trail of possible suspects is constantly winding here and there. A serial killer has recanted his confession to a priest and this sets it all in motion. Well done, to say the least.Wonderful, Meandering Plot
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wonderful, Meandering Plot
Hitchcoc9 March 2018
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?