Avatar (2009) Poster

(2009)

2,712 Reviews
Blue Moon...
Xstal13 November 2022
There's a moon that's called Pandora far away, its unique flora and its fauna hold the sway, keeping everything aligned, a rooted network gives a spine, but looting plunderers have plans to clear away. The indigenous in this place are called Na'vi, harmonious and peaceful and they're free, now Jake Sully has appeared, in a body that's been geared, to gain their trust and then encourage them to flee. But these folks are going nowhere and they fight, against an army with great power and great might, one for all and all for one, they must do what must be done, and hope that someone has the vision to see the light.

It's a wonderfully told tale of sadness and disgust, especially as it reflects so well the losses of so many cultures, species and environments on a planet very similar to Pandora, and all because...
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A NEW WORLD.....
shaikhirshad-4122323 September 2022
Hatts of to JAMES CAMERON for thinking and creating a vision like this. It takes a lotseof hardwork & research to build a whole new world. And there is a reason why this movie is still the no 1 movie in the world. I've never seen this kind of visuals in any other film. And this movie was made in 2009 that was an amazing achievement by the VFX creators & the director itself. You can easily get connected with the movie plot and the way the director has shown the Pandora world was just unbelievable. Cast of this film has done a fabulous job while performing so well and get into the character that not a single one will disappoint. Emotional scenes are so powerful that you feel the characters and their pain for what their suffering. Visual Effects makes this movie so powerful that every creature and big scenery scenes looks real. That's why it has re-released once again to feel the same experience. Don't miss this one on the big screen if you haven't seen it. It's a total new world experience. Can't wait for the PART 2....
53 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an experience! A magical one.
eldreddsouza23 September 2022
I was waiting for this day for the longest time. I was a kid back in 2009 when this movie released. So never got to watch it back then. But now when it rereleased I booked the first day show to a IMAX show and oh boy was I blown away! This is nothing short of a masterpiece! It's beyond belief how a film like this could've been made. Every scene, every shot is perfection. You are transferred to a different world and become so engrossed in the film. Never have I attended a movie where at the end of it people got up from their seats and started clapping! Last time this happened was after Infinity War. That movie too was a damn brilliant one. I'm from India and this is legit rare, where people go crazy, so crazy after any English film. This was one experience that I will never forget. I'm definitely going for it again next weekend cuz just once was not enough.

Every human on the planet needs to experience this magnificent work of art!
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best cinematic experiences ever...
ClaytonDavis14 December 2009
Forgive me, I'm going to jump from professional to fan boy for a while here. I haven't had the jitters after a film the way I've had for Avatar in quite sometime. James Cameron's Avatar is the most entertaining and enthralling cinematic experiences of my life. It is incredible, simply put. What Cameron has done here is the most passionate film project put out since Steven Spielberg released Schindler's List. His attention to detail and his zeal for pushing the envelope is so admirable to any filmmaker or actor who will ever do another film from this point on.

Avatar is the story of Jake Sully, a paraplegic marine, who replaces his brother on a secret mission to infiltrate the Na' vi, the colony of beings that sit on the planet of Pandora, where there is a precious ore, that sells at a ridiculous amount. When Jake learns the ways of the Na' vi, his feelings and learnings will put him and the people he trusts in dangerous jeopardy.

The performances here, in the sense of reacting, becoming, and understanding what Cameron has written are astounding. Not to be confused with a sensational bravura performance from some of the centuries best such as Marion Brando, Tom Hanks, or Diane Keaton; these actors along with the director inhabit these visual transformations with special effects as if they are have lived these beings all their lives. This is all based on character movements and reactions. Sam Worthington, as Jake Sully, is an actor who's on his way to becoming a star. Though he has problems with his Aussie accent often enough in the film, he gets the job done. Zoe Saldana, who plays Neytiri, a Na' vi huntress, is thrilling and electrifying. Stephen Lang, as the rock hard Colonel Miles, takes on a villainous turn to a new level in science fiction. He offers actual emotion and emotes evil to the audience and gains our hatred easily. Sigourney Weaver as the beautiful Dr. Grace, is sufficient enough to have on screen again teamed with Cameron. She lives inside her role with effortless ease, but suffers from some of the typical James Cameron cheesy lines.

Narratively the film works perfectly on the cinematic level. The first forty minutes or so require patience and hope as it is the weakest part of the film and offers some dreariness, but when the second act takes off, it's sky high with no limits for James Cameron. Avatar delivers the best action sequences put on film of all time. That is the boldest statement I have ever made in all my years of criticism. I sat on this for two days before charging it out, but I mean it. It is the best visual experience of my life, period.

Other than those visuals, the film pops with all the other technical aspects thrown into one. Art Direction is killer as the two worlds blend in perfectly for an acceptable time. The Film Editing is the crowning achievement of the film as it also offers the perfect blend of the two worlds, enticing the viewer and shifting us around. Mauro Fiore is the threat for a Cinematography Oscar this year. It was if the viewer sat down in a chair, put on glasses, and was literally placed on Pandora, spaceships, and floating mountains. The viewer can feel so engulfed by the imagery, you feel like you can smell the leaves from the trees. Avatar is utterly hypnotizing. James Horner's score is some of the best work done in his career. It offers a variable of devastation that moves the viewer to near tears. It goes back to his work on Titanic, where the musical instruments lifted the material immensely. The entire sound team is also locked and loaded for Oscar recognition as the feeling of animals, machines, and arrows buzzing by your head leave you imprisoned in Cameron's exquisite film.

James Cameron has come back home ladies and gentlemen Cameron is back, bigger, badder, and mature in his crowning work of his career. Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Titanic do not even compare anymore. This is the film that can blend the fans of those two films together and lock Cameron into your heart. He's a definite spoiler for a directing bid for the Academy Awards. You have admire the raw, natural talent the man has. How could you ever conceive such an experience and put that much effort and work into it and have it pay off? The box office success will surely keep him in the minds of voters for various critics' awards. His screenplay, leaps and bounds better than 1997's Best Picture Winner, is primed, developed and ripe for the taking. Though, you do acquire the tacky and atypical dialogue you expect from a science fiction director of this caliber, you can appreciate the effort and the honesty of it all. James Cameron is everything Michael Bay wishes he was, to put it bluntly.

Avatar will bring also great actors putting their best foot forward such as Giovanni Ribisi, who is as underrated as they come. Michelle Rodriguez who exudes sexy like any woman starring in a sci-fi epic. Joel Moore, showing his range outside of his comedic work in Dodgeball: An Underdog Story. And the classy veteran actors, CCH Pounder and Wes Studi, who just simply don't work enough.

Avatar is one of the best films of the year. The most exciting, thrilling, and superb work you'll feast your eyes on in any theater this century. Cinema, forever, will remember the benchmark that James Cameron placed not only for himself, but for any man, daring to change the game, the way Cameron did. Avatar is a movie experience to be remembered, and please experience in a movie theater first.

***½/****
1,630 out of 2,667 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technically impressive and important but beyond that there is not a huge amount to talk about
bob the moo1 March 2010
Although I was not too bothered about seeing Avatar as a film, I felt it was a bit foolish to let this milestone of cinema go past me – particularly when the thing it is hyped for are the effects and being the first "big" film to utilise 3D technology to this degree. It just seemed that watching it on my TV in about 9 months on DVD with a basic stereo system would be missing the point. Unsurprisingly I was right because Avatar is technically a brilliant film that deserves to sweep the Oscars in terms of awards for visual effects and other such categories.

If we ignore the 3D for a minute, the actual effects look great and I imagine that it will still be impressive in 2D. The landscapes and world of Pandora are imaginative (ironic since how dumb the name of it is) and very vividly created to the point where you forget that they are effects when you step back from them. Likewise it is so easy to forget that the Na'vi are not actors in quite brilliant outfits and makeup because they look so real and move so naturally – it is a million miles from the films such as Spiderman or Indy 4 where you can see where the real person ends and the jumping/swinging special effect begin. There were points in the film where I found myself wondering how on earth they managed to get a particular shot and where the camera was, only for my brain to kick in a second later to remind me that what I'm seeing is entirely virtual. OK the fantastical visual aspects are clearly creations but I was startled by how accepting of it all was and, in 2D I thought that the effects were pretty seamless.

In 3D it doesn't quite hit the same mark for me. The "look it's in 3D" shots are not as obvious as some of the other films (where stuff comes out of the screen for no reason) but it is still a little distracting when the 3D forces your focus or has stuff where it doesn't aid the scene. Of course the world of Pandora looks great with things moving around in front of you and the final battle sequences are great – the money is all there to be seen. Thing is, the reason I was able to think about "how did they do that shot" while watching the film is because the technical aspects of the film is really all there is to engage with. The plot is basic and obvious – others have talked at length about the rights and wrongs of a story where the white man comes to the aid of the indigenous people, so I'll not add to that debate. The problem for me is simpler than that, it is simply that the plot is weak and the script is just as weak. My girlfriend laughed out loud when the name of the mineral on Pandora was named as "Unobtainium" and there were plenty of things like this. The dialogue between the characters is full of needless plot exposition and thus doesn't ring true. Of course all this is helped by the action and the effects but the narrative and writing weaknesses are all I can think of when I have to listen to people tell me how Avatar is the best film ever.

The cast manage to do solid jobs considering how easy it is for them to get lost in the effects (see the modern Star Wars films to see this happen). Worthington is stuck with some awful dialogue but he is a good presence even in his Avatar. Saldana's performance is good, again despite some of her expressions and dialogue. Weaver is "so-so", Moore is pointless, Ribisi is miscast in a character that is so clichéd that it needed a decent casting to make it be more than it was. I liked Lang a lot and his OTT badass character worked well. Rodriguez seems like she is there because someone important likes her and her character doesn't add a terrible lot. Voice work from Studi, Pounder and others is good.

Overall Avatar deserves to be seen for its technical importance and how impressive it is but the degree of praise for it needs to be put in context by considering how it plays as more than just a special effects milestone. In these terms it is not as good due to a poor plot and script that hurts the actors more than the effects do by handing them some awful dialogue. That it works is testament to how impressive the effects are but there is not a terrible lot to gush about beyond these.
47 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually mind-blowing, but lacking in the story
TheLittleSongbird6 August 2010
I did see Avatar for the first time a while ago, and didn't know what to make of it. To me it felt like a visual feast if little else. Re-watching it again, I found more strengths, but there are several weaknesses that prevent it from being a masterpiece.

Starting with Avatar's strengths, it is absolutely mind-blowing visually. The cinematography, landscapes, scenery, colours, make-up and effects are outstanding and are by far and away Avatar's strongest asset. I also liked the score, it is certainly not the best score I have ever heard, but it had some very nice moments, while Cameron's direction is competent, the message admirable, and the finale well and truly explosive. I also loved the flying sequences, they were breathtaking.

The acting in general is a mixed bag. Sam Worthington is a charismatic enough lead, while Zoe Saldana is strong and spirited. Stephen Lang is an enjoyable and over-the-top villain of the piece too, however Sigourney Weaver is somewhat so-so, doesn't help really her character isn't that interesting while Michelle Rodriguez and Joel Moore aren't given very much to do.

What didn't work so well is that Avatar's story, with themes of love in a time of chaos and man alone in a hostile environment, is rather simplistic and predictable. I also felt it took a while to get going, and that the relationship between Jake and Neytiri was on the dull side. And is it me, or does this film drag at times, particularly towards the end? Now don't get me wrong, I liked the concept, it wasn't exactly original, as I often heard it described as "Dances with Wolves in Space with rip-offs of Pocahontas and FernGully"- but I am not going to join those who say that- I have to admit regardless of its originality or lack of it the concept intrigued me. Then there is the dialogue, which is nothing special and never quite rings true. There are some amusing moments but a vast majority of the dialogue in the middle of the film never quite convinced or came across as cheesy. The characters also came across as rather clichéd, especially Giovanni Ribisi's, and the character development was lacking.

So all in all, Avatar does have a lot of strengths, but a lot of weaknesses too. I will say I preferred it over The Hurt Locker, which to be honest left me cold, but I think I would be stretching it a bit if I said it was 5-star masterpiece. 6/10 Bethany Cox
83 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A visual delight.
mariahopkins-1894627 August 2018
Avatar is James Cameron's child in waiting for longer than a decade. Twelve years since Titanic Cameron again delivers with a great science fiction epic with the usual tropes and clichés but somehow making it work. The film looks gorgeous and the planet Pandora will surely give nature pangs to many of us. It makes me wonder how much a great storyteller's skills matter- Everything and everyone was against Cameron and somehow, he has managed to deliver. If you haven't seen Avatar(how?) you should see it as soon as possible- this is a great science fiction adventure from a master filmmaker.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks great, I just wish I cared what happened in it
NoArrow1 January 2010
"Avatar" is not the next "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings." It might be the next "Matrix," though. Or, perhaps more accurate, the next "Matrix Revolutions." It's technically groundbreaking craftmanship put to work on a story that was played out after "Return of the King." There are a lot of bad guys, a lot of good guys, and sooner or later they're all gonna meet on the battlefield. The little details are not-so-shockingly unimportant, since nothing could stop, change or even, really, comment on the unstoppable trajectory of this film's story.

It's the future. An Evil Corporation is parked on distant planet Pandora, mining the planet of all its precious minerals. The native population, big blue humanoids called the "Na'vi," aren't too happy about this. The corporation has hired scientists to create avatars of Na'vi bodies to be controlled by human brains, in order to communicate to the Na'vi that...they better move, lest be bulldozed by the evil Col. Qautrich (Stephen Lang).

Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is flown in to Pandora because his twin brother, who had an Avatar made specifically for him, is dead. The coincidence is an obvious plot device so that we can have a newcomer to Pandora to share in our amazement. Oh, and he's paralyzed, so running around in his new alien body is rather freeing for him.

I don't feel as if I need to continue with the plot description. You know what'll happen. You've seen "Dances with Wolves" and "The Last Samurai." Heck, even "Dead Man." The Na'vi represent nature, the (all-American) corporation represents destructive technology. Quatrich has a Southern accent and says things like, "we have to fight terror with terror." The Na'vi are clones of Native Americans - filtered through the imagination of a white liberal. It's all very obvious.

The question, of course, is whether or not it's entertaining. Well...sometimes. It certainly looks good. Some sequences - especially those with the winged beasts - are eye-popping. Lang makes a fun villain. Pandora is more derivative than original, it reminded me most of Skull Island in Peter Jackson's King Kong. All the monsters have a plastic-y look to them that make them feel too well-done. The 3D is distracting at times and I had a headache before the movie was over.

But there are scenes and individual shots that pop with ethereal beauty. It's worth seeing for that reason, but I don't think it'll be as fun after multiple viewings. The great thing about "Star Wars" was the characters: Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, R2-D2, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and so on. They embodied the other-worldliness of the story, taking the weight off the effects.

In thirty-two years, I don't think anyone will remember "Jake Sully." 6/10
435 out of 765 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An impressive rare gem by master James Cameron's crew
UniqueParticle23 November 2022
I originally saw in the theater twice back in the day just wasn't reviewing till 2018, otherwise I would've seen in the theater again for re release in the last couple months. Anyways about the movie focused on Jake Scully whom spends time in a wheelchair till he gets to take part in alternate reality of which is pandora which is a stunning visionary world full of unique creations, floating mountains, tribes, and precious gems all of it is outstanding! I want to be prepared for Way of Water coming soon glad Avatar is on Disney plus as of recently. This movie is a mind blowing experience that legend of beginning special effects or at least was one of the first to make them known helms the project through enriching grand scales!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible scope and spectacle
NonSequiturL16 December 2009
A film with the scope of James Cameron's Avatar was always going to be a risk both artistically and financially, especially in today's economic climate. Whether it will pay off monetarily is a question only time can answer, but this viewer can at the very least attest to it being an artistic triumph.

Avatar brings us as close as cinema ever has to actually visiting an alien world. The beautiful environs, the exotic creatures and incredibly lifelike natives of Pandora arrest the senses, visually, aurally and emotionally. The world in Avatar is the true star of the show. The amount of detail and work that has gone into bringing this new world alive is seriously impressive, and it will be a while before we see anything that overtakes it in scope and quality. WETA Workshop and ILM have truly outdone themselves.

Relative newcomer, Aussie Sam Worthington provides a solid human heart amongst all the science-fiction/fantasy beauty and Zoe Saldana gives an impressive performance as the 8 foot tall Na'vi, Neytiri. Even though the characters they both play are blue, giant, catlike aliens, they managed to evoke a chemistry and likability that pierces through the special effects.

That's not to say that everything is perfect. The story is basic and dare I say, clichéd and predictable. We have seen it plenty of times in all forms of media. The bad guys are cartoonishly evil, and sadly paper thin. The love story, while charming, is also clichéd despite being between man and alien. But in the face of these shortcomings, Avatar is a success because its storytelling lies in the brilliant visuals.

Avatar is a beautiful piece of film and a true event. It does exactly what cinema was always intended to - it takes us away from our problems and worries for a few hours and gives us memorable images which will undoubtedly and deservedly enter into the cultural lexicon to stay for the foreseeable future.

9.5/10
990 out of 1,616 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" FI ( LM ) NOMENAL " 💎 💎❗❗❗
A { - M I C R O - } REVIEW .

I just { R E }-watched this film on DVD ...{ YES, believe it or not, some of us STILL like to do that ⭐❗}.. at home with my family the other night. I'm pretty darn sure that I'd watched it ATLEAST twice ( if not an outright THREE times ) ...just AS SOON AS it was released a whole D E C A D E ⭐ ago....... WAY, WAY, WAY back in December 2009 .

I am ENTIRELY-aware that I'll be { TRULY :P } lucky if EVEN FIVE PEOPLE read this review, given the aforementioned, above fact. { THE REASON ⭐ } ..I'M writing this review is to get, ( say ), THREE of the "5 of you" who M A Y JUST ~ ( & this is ENTIRELY possible ) ~ N O T have seen it... Y E T . . to watch it . { YES , S T I L L❗} .... it is truly a " TIMELESS " . . . . M A S T E R P I E C E 🌠 .

If you come to the film with an OPEN HEART & AN OPEN MIND, then I can unequivocally promise.... this "truly LAVISH" visual & metaphysical extravaganza will well & truly set your SOUL ON FIRE 🔥 🔥 { in the Good Sense, of course }. If you thought that the CGI & SPFX of " T I T A N I C ❤ " were just.. { - W - A - Y - } Ahead of their time, for circa 1997 ; then Trust Me . . . . . THIS TOPS EVEN { - T - H - A - T ⭐ - } VERITABLE CINEMATIC "COLOSSUS", believe -it-or-DON'T .

A LAVISH, "CELESTIAL", NO-REGRETS 25 MARKS OUT OF 10 💥❗❗.
142 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Spellbinding!
miruleyall16 December 2009
I am sure my comment will be lost in a sea of blue but anyways here goes...

Just attended the Advanced Screening at my local "Event Cinema" BCC in 3D

Now this movies graphics are gorgeous, everything is so real, the 3D just adds to the effect beautifully without distracting you.

From a technical standpoint this movie is amazing, just the detail on the Navi's faces are amazing, they feel more real then their real life counterparts!

Without giving anything away about the story, the plot itself is very solid, very character driven and perfectly executed by Jim, safe to say this is his best original story since "The Terminator" and "Terminator 2" and is definitely one of his best movies, so good it ties with T2 which is my most favorite movie of all time...

So for those of you who have not seen this yet... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

946 out of 1,666 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avatar is a masterpiece & a breakthrough in cinema
springsunnywinter15 December 2009
It was Terminator in the 1980's and then Titanic in the '90s and it's definitely Avatar in the 2000s!!

James Cameron is my most favourite director and he has once again broken all boundaries and created a visual extravaganza.

Avatar is Cameron's latest magnum opus is probably one of the most anticipated movies since Titanic and now it seems that the visionary director has indeed created a film that'll revolutionise the world of cinema.

The movie is set in the year 2154 and is about a man called Jake who can't walk and he is selected in the Avatar program where he has to go to Pandora jungle which is not a planet but it is one of the three giant gasses that is about 4 light years away from earth. On Pandora there are life forms such as the navis that are about 10 feet tall have sparkly blue skin, big eyes and tails. The humans have genetically bred human-navi hybrids known as Avatars. Jake is able to walk but falls in love with a female navi and now he has to choose the side between humans or the navis.

The film was absolutely fascinating, interesting, entertaining and emotional. I loved the look on the Pandora jungle and it must be the best scenery in film history and the navis are definitely the best digital characters since Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. The special effects are so amazing that Pandora looks like a real location and you can mistake the navis as real characters. Avatar was almost 3 hours but it didn't seem that long.

Avatar already makes it on my top 5 favourite movies and I intend to see it again and I am already waiting for it to release on Blu Ray because I'm sure that it will be one of the best Blu Ray titles.
982 out of 1,908 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mr so-called "King of the World" returns with a visually dazzling spectacle and so-so story
Quinoa198419 December 2009
James Cameron has big ideas and big visions. Thankfully, the latter he dives into with a lust for cinematic glory and (with more money than some countries have in an entire year) he has made his vision of a planet called Pandora in the year 21-something something of a real wonder. If only his big ideas weren't, for the most part, cribbed from other movies and stories and archetypes. I would be reminded of Joseph Campbell's myth-buster formula that so many have taken to heart in adventure movies, but Cameron's formula would appear to come second to his attention to visual detail. This has its pros and cons, some more or some less depending on what viewer sees/hears in it all.

It is ambitious, and quite expensive, and it all shows up on the screen. It has to be said, Avatar is absorbing to look at. So much time and energy was spent into creating this fictional alien species, the Na'vi, and it pays off in the respect that Cameron's visual fx team painstakingly makes it appear real and otherworldly at the same time. We might recognize the lush and green surroundings, or even some of the trippy creatures, and if it comes close to anything it's like Ferngully: The Last Rainforest squared and made semi-pre-historic. But it's the scope and grandeur, and when we see the Na'Vi in close-ups or even just far away, you can see the sweat and the detail in their faces, the human beings playing them projecting off the screen. I forgot, if only for a few moments at a time, that they were animated and done in motion-capture. If part of a filmmaker's job, in a situation like a super-mega-sci-fi epic is to make us believe in another world and place (even if it's familiar), then Cameron has done his job very admirably.

So if Pandora is great to look at (especially in the practically prerequisite 3D, which also has its own levels of detail and nuance and doesn't just JUMP at a viewer), and if the technology shown on screen- of how a human being goes into an avatar, is fascinating, then why isn't it such a smash all around? Simple - the story, and the characters. Cameron does pay them attention, but only inasmuch as to get us going into the Pandora environment. When he has characters like Jake Sully (very good Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Saldana, even better) saying such trite dialog and going through the motions of a story that is familiar to anyone who has seen Ferngully or Dances with Wolves or, to a lessor extent, Last Samurai or New World (super pro-environment, obvious anti-colonialist), it starts to drag the film with it. I never grew tired of the cinematography or the wonderful sights on Pandora, but could I have done without such one-dimensional gritting-of-teeth from Stephen Lang? Absolutely.

I'm not sure if there should be more movies like Avatar. It takes a filmmaker with the ambition and drive, and the super-screw-you-guys clout that James Cameron has with such a project (not to mention the time for it allotted him - not since Kubrick has a filmmaker taken so long between projects), to pull off something like this. CGI-driven movies could progress thanks to the prowess displayed here, but it does need to be done with the right frame of attitude towards the story. Even if such story is formulaic as this one, a filmmaker does need to try and push the technology a little further while also not forgetting about the human element. Cameron comes close... no, he does go over the brink of doing style over substance, but for this case- and maybe just this one time from an otherwise masterful blockbuster director- it's satisfying.
67 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible, inventive effects can't save this
dfranzen7029 December 2009
James Cameron's long-awaited Titanic follow-up is very pretty to look at but suffers from a flimsy plot and astoundingly stupid plot development. The characters are one dimensional, both as written and as portrayed, and there's hardly anything unpredictable. The only thing this movie has going for it are its state-of-the-art effects, which are truly boggling.

Sam Worthington plays Jake, a paraplegic ex-Marine who's sent to a distant moon to help humans mine a mineral called unobtainium (in the running for the least creative chemical name ever). Seems there's a huge cache of the stuff under a huge tree in a jungle that's populated by an indigenous race called the Na'vi, blue-skinned, really tall people with feline characteristics. Meanwhile, a scientific program headed by Grace Augustine (played by a typically stiff Sigourney Weaver) has focused on learning as much as possible about the Na'vi in order to benefit scientific knowledge. Augustine's research (funded by the same company who's mining the unobtainium) involves the use of avatars, in which scientists form a psychological link with a mock-up that looks just like a native Na'Vi, the better for the humans to exist within the unbreathable atmosphere. Jake gets inside the Na'vi within his avatar and attempts to find out what they would want in exchange for moving from away from the giant store of unobtainium; during the course of his mission, he falls for the Na'vi chief's daughter, Neytiri (Zoe Saldana). (Of course he does.) And as said mission drags on, Jake's perspective changes from meathead jerk to tree-loving jerk, and he begins to wonder if what he's doing is right.

Is he serious? You're an alien race (humans) and have no business on this moon. Your employer's stated goal is to gobble up all the jewels he can find, basically raping the planet. Your employer will stop at nothing to get it, as he answers to no one. You're being sent down to find a diplomatic way to screw the natives out of the bounty on which they sit. And he thinks this might be wrong? A power grab ensues when the military leader of the human expedition, a Colonel Quaritch (Stephen Lang) decides enough is enough and wants to bomb the hell out of the Na'vi, with the approval of the head of the company, Parker Selfridge (Giovanni Ribisi), another patently obvious name. This sets up the rather obvious showdown between the primitive Na'vi and the gung-ho ex-Marine humans, who have missiles and guns and ammo and rockets and helicopters and who knows, even a Star Destroyer or two. The final battle scene is overtly reminiscent of the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi, in which the primitive Ewoks manage to defeat a stormtrooper army using only their quick wits and some old-school, homemade traps of destruction.

But even if the plot doesn't need to be complex, it sure ought to make sense. Here's a nonspoiler question to ponder. Jake, under the guise of his avatar, is taken in by the Na'vi, whose spiritual leader asks Neytiri to teach Jake their ways. Why this is to be is not terribly clear. It's evident that the humans have made several attempts at learning the ways of the Na'vi but that prior emissaries had been scientists; as soon as Jake tells the Na'vi that he's a warrior, they're all about teaching him. I don't quite follow the logic here; if I were the Na'vi and had not been able to teach the smart humans who obviously (to me) were not there to do me harm, why in the world would I want to teach someone who's used to using aggression and violence to solve problems? I get that the Na'vi, as a warrior race, would relate more to the soldier, but surely they would be reluctant to share knowledge with someone who was outside of their group anyway, let alone with one who might well do them harm.

Moreover, I'm not sure what the Na'vi thought Jake was, really. He looked like them, through his avatar, but they referred to him at least once as an alien. My best guess is that they just thought he was from another clan. Other clan? I'll assume that only this one clan, the Omaticaya, made its home at Hometree (yet another clumsy naming convention) and therefore was the only clan with a stake in protecting it. But if they simply thought Jake was from another clan, why did they let him in anyway? Why did they teach him? What purpose would it serve them? And on top of that, since the Omaticaya mentioned being approached by "aliens" before, doesn't it seem more likely that they would have assumed Jake was another alien ambassador anyway? This makes my brain hurt.

I think it's pretty obvious that Cameron wanted this to be his own Star Wars, an epic taking place on a distant world. He uses the standard Cameron recipe of astounding special effects and innovation coupled with a weak plot and laughable characters and hopes it all comes out okay (although for a movie that gestated for more than a decade, that's simplifying things a bit). The effects, it should be noted, are really mesmerizing visuals of the jaw-dropping variety. The 3D effects were unbelievable, and I mean that in a good way. Avatar is extraordinarily shot, using 60% CGI and 40% live action, and the two elements are flawlessly intertwined. It's a remarkable film.

But it's only part of a film. the entire movie seems to try pretty hard to keep some emotional distance from its audience, and when a film is emotionally uninvolving, it's lost the battle for your heart.

And that's the core problem. Despite some wonderful, beautiful effects, Avatar gives us characters in whom we can't really get invested, and when a key element of your story is an interspecies romance, this is a crucial, fatal flaw.
59 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colourful Visuals . Black And White Storytelling
Theo Robertson21 September 2012
I really did not like the way way this movie was advertised " A film that will change the face of cinema etc etc etc " . I'm one of those strange creatures who is actually turned off by hyperbolic markerteering . On top of that I'm not someone who's going to sit in a cinema wearing 3D glasses . It's bad enough being a speccy in real life . Who wants to add expensive insult to injury by sitting in a cinema looking like a muppet with shades ? In summary I had no intention of watching AVATAR in a cinema if at all

In April I found myself on a very long plane trip from Heathrow to India and decided that because I'd seen most of what was on offer I decided to watch AVATAR . Being on a plane where the format is cropped and missing the 3D visuals means that you're able to concentrate on the story . The truth is that the plot is absolutely threadbare and is padded out with long sequences that might seduce an audience in to watching the visuals but plot wise there's nothing happening at all

Fault number one - there's very little happening to the plot for large chunks of the movie . Fault number two is that character wise everything is black and white . Good guys ( Read humans ) are blacker than the darkest night while good guys ( Read blue skinned aliens ) are so white they're brighter than the sun itself. It's almost like watching a simplistic revisionary Western where the Indians are the goodies and the calvary are the baddies . I say " almost " because Hollywood has never come up with a Western like that and never will . There is no complexity involved what so ever . The bad guys are bad guys and the good guys are good guys and there's no motives involved . Some people may complain that LORD OF THE RINGS also suffered from this characterization but at least the LOTR wasn't a 3D gimmick and had saving graces . Take away the 3D and you'll find AVATAR has no other function as a marketing tool . Also nice to know it was stuffed at the Oscars by the cheap and compelling tiny budget THE HURT LOCKER
47 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even if it is sporadically decent or fun, it's mostly a bore
zetes28 December 2009
A crashing bore. There is almost no real reason to see this film. As you could probably tell from the previews or other plot descriptions, it is a virtual remake of Dances with Wolves, but starring elongated, CGI, blue aliens. Yet even that movie wasn't nearly as patronizing with its noble savage bullcrap. I am not exaggerating when I say I have almost never seen a less imaginative movie. But what about the visuals, you say? Well, they are pretty, and the CGI is better than it has ever been in the past. But I'd say it isn't even close to a huge step forward. A pretty tiny step, really, from The Lord of the Rings' Gollum. The (motion captured) faces look more expressive than Gollum's. But they still have far to go before the CGI creations look "photo-realistic", as the idiotic Cameron likes to describe his cartoon characters and settings. And they still haven't worked out just how to move CGI characters - they still don't look like they exist in any kind of real world outside of a computer hard drive. But I guess by now I have to accept filmmakers are always going to rely on CGI, and it's always going to look like a cartoon. I have to say, I did mostly enjoy it when Cameron was introducing new jungle creatures (I think the final tally is about nine different species of animals that live on the planet), but both the flora and the fauna are reminiscent of black light posters and prog-rock album covers (I'll credit Jim Emerson for tipping me toward that, but I knew even in the previews that everything looked a little too familiar). And the N'avi? They're Native Americans. Cameron's allegory is easily the thinnest I've ever seen in a major motion picture. Some critics have argued about how it allegorically relates to current American military woes, but, frankly, if Cameron intended any of it, he screws it up royally by making the N'avi 100% justified in whatever they do. It's every bit as black and white as anything George W. Bush ever said. I'm sure he loves the Hell out of this film. And, even if I tried to just shut off my brain (pretty impossible), so much of the ride is uneventful. If not for the film's final half hour, which is comprised of the big battle, I'd probably call this the worst film of the year. As it is, I'd probably rather sit through Transformers 2 again. At least I can marvel at the audaciousness of Michael Bay's tastelessness. It's better than Cameron's utter blandness.
77 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating concept .Must be seen cannot be described
lionel-1412 December 2009
I saw this epic last night at the Empire Leicester Sq in London, which is a superb venue in which to view this film. Huge screen, excellent sound and an extraordinary Dolby, 3 dimensional image. The whole effect is mind blowing.

This is a 'Must see' movie, innovative, and extraordinary. I think it will be regarded by most cinema goers as another milestone in the history of the art. The level of realism achieved is remarkable, and although the film is relatively long in real time, it retains it's excitement and holds the audience's attention to the end.

Performances are good, but this is not the sort of film that dwells on big star value for the actors, although Sigorney Weaver does shine and delivers a very convincing performance, as do the rest of the cast. But as there is so much entertainment and action value on screen the human element does not dominate in the usual way.

As Writer/Director, James Cameron deserves high praise for this creation and in my opinion it will break box office records. I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
1,924 out of 3,057 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most overrated film in history
wwe79612 August 2010
The plot is stolen from many different movies, there was only 3 good actors, the characters are either bland or stereotypical, and yet it made almost 3 billion. When I think a film is overrated I usually like it. I don't think of it as Oscar worthy, but I like it. Then there is Avatar a film I not only think is the most overrated film in history, but also on its own without the hype a terrible movie. It didn't have any effort put into the story at all. Star Wars took the ideas of many movies together to create something epic, but Avatar takes instead of being inspired by these things is just being lazy by stealing the ideas. It is an awful movie, but people and critics liked it. Why is that? Well that is due to the effects. Few watching, or reviewing cared about what the story was. All they cared about was the effects. Yes the effects and 3-D are great, but without the substance of a well written story it fails. I don't care if the effects are the best ever. Giving this film a good review based of the effects is like walking to your computer, and staring at the screensaver. You think it looks cool so you look at it. Next time you look up it is 3 hours later. Would consider that a good way to spend your time. No you would not, but you think that Avatar is worth your time. This a movie that is destroying filmmaking.

1 star out of 4
93 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
MR-ODIN23 February 2020
Avatar tells a familiar story but its a story that works so well inside of this movie. The visuals and 3d are still one of the best to date and i totally get why it made so much money.
83 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Movie With Too Much Hate That Deserves More Appreciation
cdjh-8112520 October 2016
Over the years James Cameron's, Avatar has become an extremely controversial movie with some people calling it groundbreaking and a masterpiece and some calling it an overlong and derivative bore. I find myself not completely agreeing with either side but I do believe that it's got far to much um warranted hate. The main hate from this movie comes from that fact that it's got a few blatant similarities to other movies and it's probably this films greatest short coming but it doesn't kill the films it got far to much good in it for it to be considered bad. But one other slight negative with the film is the fact that Sam Worthington is a but bland in this film he just never really stands out or does anything other than what he's required to. But Zoe Saldana is amazing in this film she just completely invests herself in this character and is the greatest motion capture performance since Andy Serkis in Lord of The Rings. The one thing that no one can call derivative in this film is the world of Pandora it is incredible the landscapes look incredible and the Nav'i look incredible they're culture is interesting and entertaining to watch grow. The action sequences look amazing and you feel the scale of these two races fighting each other only through Cameron's direction. In all honesty there's nothing particularly special about Stephen Langs villain but he's incredibly entertaining and holds his own in the battle scenes.

I hate the fact that so many people have turned on this movie when James Cameron so clearly poured his heart and soul into it. It looks incredible and has mostly great performances and is truly a movie that (even though similar to others) is like nothing I've ever seen before.

89%-A-
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AVATAR has a soul
rettercritical16 December 2009
AVATAR has a soul

I saw AVATAR today. It was a boiling 40 degrees Celsius in Australia. I caught a bus and train to get there. I spent months on a forum before that. Incremental stops included a scriptment, stills, a teaser, a foot, AVATAR day and a full trailer. Now released I have had many reviews to read which have been mostly very positive.

It is a marvel to watch. The opening scenes are very sci-fi with a glimpse of low gravity aboard a space-craft. Sam Worthington fills us in with a short narration. He is taking over his diseased brother's role in the AVATAR program. These opening scenes are actually among the most effective 3D in the film, pulling you into this story, tracking shots putting you into the steps of the characters.

I jump ahead, like the film, to The world of Pandora which is lush with earthly life as seen through pulp fantasies. The rendering of this world is terrific. The life and activity is in the plants as much as it is the animals. Wonder is generated with this ambitious creation. Cameron has lifted the bar. The CG is the best I have ever seen. Everything you have heard is true. The 3D enhances this with leaves falling and swaying branches life-like in the foreground.

The realisation of the Navii is also ambitious. They are CG but there are many moments that make you think they are real and in terms of the story they are more than good enough to propel the narrative with strong emotional content.

I went into this film knowing mostly everything within it. Hours of reading, some from the treatment and pages of the recent reviews. It is very much a family film like "Nealz" said in his IMDb review. There is a moment where one of the ferocious animal species that earlier were attacking Jake are seen with a litter, the children in the audience loved the cute pups! The spiritual side of this film is much better than expected. It is in fact a beautiful story. The structure is classical film-making but with amazingly new scope in CGI to express grand images. An epic

The journey that Jake takes through Pandora is lovely. He is taken in by the Navii and explores their culture, language and habitat. Natirii, the female Navii he meets while lost, helps him through this journey. This is a love story of both soul mates and with a wider picture. Existential connections with the natural world. Personal destiny.

I had tears in this film. I tried to hold them back but by the roll of credits they came. This is a movie that I have anticipated for so long. I think the ingredients of its story and my connection to this films production gave me a very emotional response. I cant imagine this disappointing any of the fans on the board. Keeping in mind that it is a family film but delivered everything I wanted.

Expect a special edition. After AVATAR is a hit, a special edition will make its way to the cinema. I can understand why they would cut the earth scenes and it works. The actual film seems pretty brisk and it could also have more padding out. You want more of it and that is a triumph for this type of film running two and a half hours. It is a good balance because at two and a half hours AVATAR is aimed directly at the cinema going audience. Broadly appealing with elements for everyone. My earlier prediction of a billion or more world-wide seems safe.

I don't want to go on about visuals too much but the lovely shots of the natural wonderland of glowing life in still 3D shots is magical. Something to take kids to see. Floating tiny neon li

fe jellyfish their way through the air with grace. The monkey-like extra-limbed creatures with the peeping eyes flock through the forrest quickly. The creature design is done in a clever way with the motion of a living thing. The action is over the top, epic, frenetic and a new take on the battle sequence.

James Cameron didn't stuff this up. He probably pressed the studio way beyond their comfort zone with the time, money and effort that has gone into this. Sam Worthington is excellent casting choice. Sigourney Weaver ads frank reason. Stephen Lang chews the scenery as the ultimate you know what. Zoe Saldana is beautiful as Jakes guide into this world and.

I went to the cinema and it was a very hot day. By the time I left the cinema, the streets were wet with rain. A warm humidity was thick in the air. Lightning splashed my walk to the train station with white light. I honestly wondered if It was my time to be struck down with a bolt of electricity from the sky.

Watch this film. It is destined to become a childhood classic to many little-ones too young to be on this forum. It will be talked about at high school by male and females as spectacular. It will be watched multiple times by fans. I loved it but beyond my appreciation for the film itself, is the the message of love permeating from this movie that I hope enters the zeitgeist like elements of Cameron's other stories have. At its heart is a soul. AVATAR is an achievement in many technical departments but I wouldn't say the story is deficient. It is a beautiful experience and the story is surprisingly what I loved most.

Believe the hype.
749 out of 1,392 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Cameron: thanks for the chance to witness a turning point in cinematic history.
Troy_Campbell17 December 2009
How often do you get to see a turning point in cinematic history? Not in hindsight, but as it is actually happening? Not often. Those watching The Jazz Singer in 1927 (debut of audible dialogue) or Becky Sharp in 1935 (introduction of Technicolor) experienced it. I wasn't born for another eight years, but I have read and heard that when Star Wars first came out in 1977 people were feeling a similar way; that they were witnessing something never before seen that would change movies from that point on. Has it really been 32 years between motion pictures that have had this impact? Well, revolutionary movies wouldn't be revolutionary if they came along all the time.

James Cameron's long-awaited, much-touted 3D motion-capture technique is a step towards the future. What we see on screen during Avatar is nearly impossible to explain with words. But I'll try. Do you think 3D is just a gimmick? Think again. The depth and clarity afforded by the third dimension is invaluable; it immerses you into the action so well that you aren't sitting in a cinema for three hours, you enter a whole new world. Forget the blurry patches to the sides of the screen or the impossibility of seeing things that are moving too fast, as experienced in previous 3D flicks, with Avatar you see everything as if it were real.

The digital surroundings that Cameron has created (so he could shoot his actors with mo-cap in an environment that already existed) are awe-inspiring. Pandora is a beautiful forest and jungle-like land, whilst its non-Na'vi inhabitants are exotic and exhilarating in equal parts. The realism of this fantasy world is extraordinary; from the opening shot to the closing credits, Pandora and all its creatures do exist. In addition, and most importantly, the motion-capture technique used for the Na'vi is astounding. Cameron's groundbreaking technology enables the Na'vi to look, move and interact realistically; the smallest of nuances from the actors, including pupil movement, have been mimicked flawlessly onto their digital counterparts.

The aforementioned visual revelations are unsurprisingly marvellous during the action sequences – the climactic battle is undoubtedly the standout – however they lend themselves to the subtler scenes just as well. Cameron refuses to use his pioneering invention just for spectacle; he wants it to assist in capturing the minds and hearts of his audience. Take for example a couple of the scenes where the Na'vi fly on their local birdlife. To experience something so graceful and elegant, yet so thrilling and jaw-dropping, is where the real pleasure lies.

Most gratifying is not all the optical splendour on offer mind you, it is the powerful tale that it is in aid of. Cameron's account of love, war and nature is more affecting than you might expect. Avatar boasts a screenplay which at times will make you laugh, at times make you cheer and at times make your heart heavy. It never neglects the story and even infuses the action with a surprisingly high level of emotion. A pivotal scene midway through where the humans launch their first attack is genuinely gut-wrenching and shattering; evoking similar feelings you get when watching the atrocities committed in wars gone by. Cameron is greatly assisted by James Horner's booming score too; it's African-esquire sounds giving it an exotic and poignant feel that match the proceedings perfectly.

Hollywood's new kid on the block, Aussie actor Sam Worthington, delivers a star-making performance as the conflicted Jake that, along with his turns in Terminator Salvation and the upcoming Clash of the Titans, will surely see him catapult to the top of the A-list. The unrecognisable Zoe Saldana is breathtaking as Neytiri; Sigourney Weaver adds her usual class and elegance as the 'mother' of the Avatar program, Dr Augustine; Michelle Rodriguez gives a career-best performance as the cocky yet likable pilot Trudy Chacon; whilst Stephen Lang makes one heck of a badass.

James Cameron: thanks for giving this 24 y.o. his first chance to witness a turning point in cinematic history. It will not be forgotten.

5 out of 5 (1 - Rubbish, 2 - Ordinary, 3 - Good, 4 - Excellent, 5 - Classic)
119 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome Back the King of the World (and Other Worlds)
3xHCCH17 December 2009
James Cameron had not directed any movie since being the "King of the World" after "Titanic" in 1998. This big movie "Avatar" is certainly more than an worthy comeback project to again re-launch Mr. Cameron back into filmdom's firmament.

When I first saw the trailer some months ago, I admit that I was not entirely enticed to catch this film. Lately though, the film had been garnering nominations and wins for Best Picture in some year-end award giving bodies, including the Golden Globes. And finally, I was lucky enough to win two free tickets to a special invitational 3D screening tonight, so there was no question that I would watch this. And wow, I am sure glad that I did.

Truth to tell, the basic story is not entirely new as we have seen it in various incarnations in so many previous movies. However, the grand imaginative vision of Mr. James Cameron is what elevated this piece into the masterpiece that it is. We are effectively transported to a whole new time (in the 22nd century) and planet (called Pandora), with plant and animal life the likes of which we have never seen before.

The magical effect of 3D was put to good effect in the whole movie. From the amazingly big battle scenes to quiet scenes, the 3D drew us into this alien place as more than a mere spectator. I found it hard to imagine watching this film in regular 2D. The extra money you would pay to enjoy the 3D is very much worth it.

The acting of the humans and the aliens were all very good. Clearly standing out are the good guys led by Sam Worthington (very convincing as both the crippled Marine Jake Sully and his alien Avatar) and Sigourney Weaver (as his mentor and leader of the Avatar project, Dr. Grace Augustine). On the alien side, female characters like Zoe Saldana's Neytiri and CCH Pounder's Moat stand out. The bad guys were a bit on the cardboard side, one dimensional in their wanton greed and evil machinations.

This film is definitely a front-runner in the award season in the next few months. It is clearly the leader in the field of Visual Effects. Cameron reportedly conceived this project back in 1994, but only pushed through now when the technology to realize his vision had been developed, and how! We the audience are also effectively drawn into the heart that beats within the story, and get caught up in the adrenaline rush of the action along the way. This is told as only James Cameron can. Indeed, he is back!
43 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shock+Awe...INaWondrouslyMysterious,Magical+EvenSpiritualSense!
KissEnglishPasto18 July 2016
From PASTO, COLOMBIA-Via: L. A. CA; CALI, COLOMBIA+ORLANDO, FL

------------The ONLY Tony Kiss Castillo on FaceBook!---------------------

There have been only about a score or so of films that have transcended being simply a movie and, because of their unprecedented impact upon many millions of viewers, have contributed to our culture, becoming part of it, and more recently, to that of the entire world.

After being 62nd birthday-treated to AVATAR in IMAX 3-D by my wife, I state, for the record, it is an incomparable voyage, a magical mystery tour experience, to a poignant culture-clash on an enchanted world most distant both in time and spaceA movie it is not! Visionary James Cameron has created, crafted and orchestrated a labor of love for the ages.

At long last, CGI has come of age, finding in AVATAR a vehicle capable of demonstrating the awesome splendor of its true potential. We are transported to an intricately designed world, complete with a Neolithic race of aliens, rich with culture and traditions, speaking its own uniquely linguistically engineered on-screen language (A Cinema First) As for the "It's Anti- American!" grumblings:

1) The troops were not even U. S., they were corporate hired guns!

2) Life isn't about winning or losing battles: It's about living in harmony with one's environment!..At least that's how I saw it.

Wow! Talk about nefarious agendas!

In the opening seconds, James Cameron seems to pay tribute to both 2001 and Star Wars. Some reviewers have mentioned a similitude to Pocahontas. There were different moments that conjured up memories of story threads from many different films, but thematically, Dances With Wolves was, perhaps, closest. However, a straight up comparison to any other film does not do AVATAR justice. It is totally in a league of its own.

Every aspect of AVATAR is practically hyperbole-proof. Just look at the plethora of gushing reviews. Yet, amazingly, there are some 2*, even 1* ratings! Honestly, I can't fathom how anyone who has ventured more than 100 miles from their place of birth could rate it less than 5*. (The word Provincial keeps popping into my head!) Closing words: The only film in my life that raised the cinematic bar more was Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey(1968)..Don't just see AVATAR...Experience it!

10********** ...... ENJOY! / DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English o en Español, are most welcome!....
38 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.