Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021) Poster

1,382 Reviews
Either make a Clancy movie or don't
rikakiah-685222 May 2021
As a generic soldier/spy movie, this isn't horrible. I'd give it maybe a 6--don't expect much, but it has entertaining moments. As a Tom Clancy movie, based on a book with established characters and canon, a 1 isn't a low enough rating. It has nothing to do with the book, and little to do with the Clancy universe beyond a couple of names. It's nothing more than a cheap cash grab using the Clancy name. People need to either come up with original IPs, or at least attempt to stick a little closer to the namesake material.
321 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why name it like a great book, if it has nothing to do with it?
markusshahn3 May 2021
Without Remorse is probably my favorite Tom Clancy book - imagine my excitement when I see it's been turned into a movie and then my utter disappointment after realizing that the only thing this movie has in common with the book are the title and the names of a few characters.

To add insult to injury, what follows is a bland storyline with at times nonsensical situations.
382 out of 433 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry Tom
demoxpert11 May 2021
This could not have been a bigger disappointment it they tried. Tom Clancy deserves much better. This can't even be called an adaptation, because it had nothing to do with the novel. The acting was wooden the plot was weak and ludicrous and even MBJ seemed to be phoning it in, which I am very sorry to say. The technical inaccuracies made it difficult to even enjoy the action, which really wasn't that enjoyable anyway. Basically, this could have been a better movie if they had left it to a couple of shaved wombats for writing and directing. As a John Clark fan from way back, it was the absolute worst way that they could have told his story. MBJ could have knocked it out of the park if he had something better to work with.
89 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop using Tom Clancys name if it's not Clancy!
feyipuk6 May 2021
I haven't read Without Remorse, yet considering Amazon started business selling books, why can't the writers of these productions read one if they're going to say it's based on one! Tom Clancy was the master of the techno-thriller, mixing elements of science fiction, political thriller and spy genres, albeit Clancys extensive research helped readers understand foreign militaries and his plots eerily echoed real events to the degree rumours circulated the CIA thought he was a mole.

This film has none of his subtlety. Yes, it's normal for books to change when made into a film, but all that seems left of Clancys work are a few names.

On the plus side, Jamie Bell does get the sneaky company man role down. His spook demeanour in relation to the other soldiers is probably the most in keeping with Clancy.

MBJ makes a decent effort as the lead, who in typical Hollywood fashion is pretty trigger happy, an amazing shot with grenades, but never seems to be in much peril, while Jodie Turner-Smith seems to only be allowed one emotion.

On the other side, I'm not sure if Guy Pearce was just tired all the way through, but compared to the usual energy he shows in his other films, he was putting me to sleep.

The cinematography is dark at places really hard to see what is going on. I get fighting in the dark adds to the effect, but I ended up watching one of the early fight scenes three times and only found out what had happened later in the film. It shouldn't be that hard.

The post credits scene should have filled me with joy, but considering everything I'd just seen, it just left me more sad.
62 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible waste of my time and yours!
ebaker-637442 May 2021
The script writers should be ashamed of themselves. I read all of Clancy's books and have always loved without remorse. This movie has only two things correct to the book: 1: The main characters name is John Kelly/Clark 2: He is/was a Navy SEAL.

Tom Clancy is rolling in his grave at this terrible adaptation.

Side note: I love reading the reviews from people saying that the only reason people are giving this movie terrible reviews is because they can't handle an African American as the main character. What a joke.
249 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total disappointment
mparam-002264 May 2021
Except some action sequences, nothing is good in this movie. There is no screen play and no story. Don't waste your time!!
124 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stolen identity
rncxwnxm3 May 2021
The name was there and I expected the story to be abridged, possibly significantly to a 2021 version but really? This was nothing at all like the story, not even a little. It was like they took a random and not very good story and thought they could just use a few characters names to make it a Clancy. In my opinion the best book in the series and the very worst film. Disappointing.
206 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed... Not a Tom Clancy story.
lrm-3336130 April 2021
I loved Tom Clancy books and movies growing up and I always wanted them to make Without Remorse into a movie since the book was so good. I was thoroughly disappointed. The only commonality are some of the characters and the title. They could have just changed the character names and the title and not claim this to be a Tom Clancy film. Either stick with the plot of the books and do them justice or don't claim to do a Tom Clancy film. The plot they did use instead was stale and not what I would expect for a major release. It was more in the direct to DVD league.

It also seems like they did not have very good technical advisors... or geographers. The opening scene takes place in a landlocked city and yet Kelly and his team infiltrate via water. The uniforms are also very inconsistent... Greer is wearing a commanders cap in at least one place which is different than what her rank would be. Since the writers took so much liberty with realism, they just wrote her in as a SEAL instead of a more plausible role like being some sort of subject matter expert attached to Kelly's team. I'm not one to dismiss the idea that there are women out there capable of becoming Navy SEALs, but I would expect the to be built like a crossfit games winner instead of the stereotypical model. I know this comes off as nitpicking, but the filmmakers should know their audience. Tom Clancy's books and previous films were always very detailed and realistic and this film was far from that.

The one positive part of the film was Michael B. Jordan's performance and the only reason I gave this any stars. I was excited to see him in the role when it was announced. He did well with what he had to work with. It is a real shame. Had they stuck to the plot of the book and took the details seriously, I would be excited for Rainbow Six. Now I just hope they forget they planned on doing it.
600 out of 723 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huge disappointment
kcp106230 April 2021
I don't even know why Tom Clancy and his estate sold the rights to his books. The only movie that did justice to his books is Hunt for Red October. Other than that the movies have just got worse and worse. Especially this movie, other than the main character John Clark being a Navy Seal there is nothing in this movie that comes even close to the book. Seriously, this movie isn't worth the time.
500 out of 619 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bomb
d.e.katz6 May 2021
This is one of the worst movies ever made. The plot (what little there was of it) made no sense at all. I'm all for the willing suspension of disbelief when watching an adventure yarn, but this movie requires the viewer to suspend all knowledge of the real world--and it isn't a science fiction movie.

Utter dreck.
108 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing like the book.
teaston_2130 April 2021
If you're a fan of good acting and a well scripted storyline, prepare to be disappointed. If you have read the novel, it's even worse.
453 out of 565 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad movie
diegomedina-253152 May 2021
The alexa commercial had a better script than this whole movie.
121 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What could have been
IMDbCPT3 May 2021
Reality is some people will enjoy this movie but most like those that will enjoy this movie have probably not read of any of Clancy's novels and they are lucky they haven't.

I have read a few Clancy novels but even though I have not read this one you do have an expectation and this one sadly doesn't do Clancy's words justice.

This could have been such a great start to a franchise of movies.

Seems like the Hollywood producers of this movie just decided let throw in explosions, gun play we will have a block buster.

For me Michael B Jordan just doesn't bring Clarke to life it feels like he over acted.

If you enjoy action without story you will enjoy.

If you like Clancy novels and enjoy his detail and story you will be bitterly disappointing.

I am planning on reading the novel to see how bad they stuffed this one up

Now to see what they do with Rainbow Six and this one I have read

This was not a good start.
127 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blame the Director
dmcgrew-786625 May 2021
Terrible movie. Bad dialogue. Bad acting. Especially bad directing. Terrible plot... this movie had no chance of being any good.

Oh... this stupid woke culture created a flat and boring female seal commander. First of all, there has never been a female seal. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Jodie Turner-Smith, the female seal commander, was the worst at acting. Her persona was certainly NOT that of a seal commander or even anyone in the military. Weak and passive, her character was terrible and painful to watch.

Stay away from this movie.
147 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Review With Remorse
theface-047002 May 2021
I really was looking forward to this movie. I loved the book, but the only things the movie and the book have in common are the title and the main character (and the movie only got him partly right. In the book he was a retired SEAL living quietly alone on a boat. The plot was totally different. The Tom Clancy name and book title were only used to sell an average action movie.
110 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clancy is spinning in his grave
lfc35710 May 2021
This is an utterly embarrassing interpretation of the book. Literally nothing is right except a few of the names. Would have been a five star movie without the Clancy name connection.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm disappointed in Taylor Sheridan and MBJ
goldandblackx30 April 2021
With all the great stuff written by Sheridan and all the great roles played by Michael B Jordan you would think this movie would have been great. Not the case, unfortunately. Total waste of time. Predictable. Poorly written and acted.

For a Clancy film, the gun play and action sequences were really lacking. Embarrassing excuse for a film.

Maybe online book retailers should stick to selling books.

Ps. To the guy complaining about car doors being opened under water... once all the air is out of the car, yes, the door can be opened with little effort.
290 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SOOO forced
Arjanz1 May 2021
Realy the female seal commander ruined the whole movie for me.

At 19 minutes when she goes off against ritter i knew this movie was gonna disappoint so bad.
193 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Someone Should be Remorseful for This
Cineanalyst30 April 2021
A generic shoot-'em-up that Hollywood used to do with Westerns ever since they began making movies. It doesn't matter that there's the military, espionage and geopolitical conspiracies involved in the Tom Clancy variation on the formula; it's always the same thing. The baddie and his red herring are so obvious that one of them might as well be wearing a black hat. But, sure, the action is standard, if darkly lit, and Michael B. Jordan fits the part of a muscular star to recognizably pose between the rest of the interchangeable tropes. Maybe you'll even find "Without Remorse" a bit fun with him not playing by the rules, out for revenge as he is. For crying out loud, we even get a mid-credits scene setting up a franchise.

When a movie is this dull, I start desperately looking for something to be worth my attention. One character makes a point regarding the Cold War having brought Americans together, whereas now without a common enemy one half sees the other half as the enemy. That comes too late to matter, though. There's also the business of Jordan's character telling his enemies to say his murdered wife's name. That got me thinking about the SayHerName campaign, but the picture doesn't do anything with its star being an African American, and in one sequence he takes out an entire squad of Russian police officers who are just doing their jobs. So, yeah, there's nothing here.
190 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
car crash of a movie
spellerwix30 April 2021
I was sooo looking forward to seeing this.

I've no read the book, but enjoy the author! Plus I was excited to see what MBJ was going to do in the role of a SF SEAL, sort of let it rip!!

OMG.. i was gob smacked. I had to have a double take..a female SEAL commanding officer. Now i'm from the UK, but i don't recall reading in the news the US had recruited female SEALs into their ranks. Paused the movie, did a bit of research...NO..still no female SEALS YET!! I get this is fiction, not fantasy?

I would imagine this will be very disrespectful to serving and retired SEALS?

I didn't recognise the actress, but her acting resembled a wooden doll

i was extremely disappointed with guy peice..you dropped stink bomb in this!

Now MBJ...mr jordan...WHY ow WHY!! You are a steller actor...WHY!!!!

20 minutes into this movie...i picked up my phone and started to look at new wallpaper for my lock screen...hoping the movie would get better soon and draw me back in..i did momentarily. I painfully watch the movie to the credits purley out of interest, to see if it would finish on a high...

please don't get me going about the ending..
220 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you can ignore the fact that it bears no resemblance to the book...
chippysmyth30 April 2021
This is STILL a terrible film.

The pacing is wrong, the writing is pedestrian and the acting is completely one dimensional.

It has no heart, people die and you feel nothing, you would feel a greater sense of loss after a bowel movement.

Some set pieces DO work but they are not held together by any story arc or sense of narrative. The writers try to create emotional attachment by sharing given names but it feels so clunky and the acting with meaningful pauses just makes it really REALLY tacky.

Given how good the cast are this film must have come with a huge payday because its a career low point for all of them.
169 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible waste of time
jmhwesternusa30 April 2021
Readers looking for reviews need not need to read through the lengthy ones - this simple one should suffice: this film is dumb in concept and execution, stupid in all regards and needlessly convoluted - worst in recent filmdom. Please honor the time of your own self worth on this earth and so not waste it on this film!
225 out of 313 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just No. Stick with the book
pnxwjcft30 April 2021
Bad acting, predictable bad guys and the supposed plot twist was obvious as hell well before the time.

Forget all the PC and girls in The SEAl's comments ( true or otherwise). They're a highlight of this travesty.

If you're a fan of Tom Clancy's books ( at least the original ones) then stick with the book. Watching this will just make you wish you had.
205 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is everyone so bored????
LionsLord3 May 2021
All the characters walk around talking like they are bored or stoned. I got about 30 mins in, was bored to all heck, checked the IMBD reviews, saw it doesn't get better, and saved myself the rest of it.

Just don't even bother with this one.
46 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filmed in flat angles with stale performances.
ferrariohh30 April 2021
Nothing to spoil here, its pretty charmless and predictable. Convenient situations drive the story along. MBJ doesn't even bail this out of the dumpster full of bad action movies it belongs in.

This is the tv series version of a better movie with the same name.
205 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.