WCW SuperBrawl VII (1997) Poster

(1997 TV Special)

Pure NWO PPV
amanwhorocks12 February 2014
1. WCW Cruiserweight Title Match: Dean Malenko Vs. Champ-Syxx - Syxx won in a very good opener. 8/10

2. Six Man Tag Team Match: Konnan/La Parka/Villano IV Vs. Juventud Guerrera/Ciclope/Super Calo - Now.......That was a match! What a furious fun, except Konnan every guy moves like JOrdan. Calo and Guerrera were best. If I don't give this match full stars, then I don't know which i should. 10/10

3. WCW World TV Title Match: Rey Mysterio Jr. Vs. Champ Prince Iaukea - Mysterio is king of High-fly, magnificent moves. Iaukea retained by Regal's interference. 9/10

4. Buff Bagwell Vs. Diamond Dallas Page - Good match except DQ ending by NWO. 8/10

5. WCW U.S. Heavyweight Title Match: Chris Jericho Vs. Champ-Eddie Guerrero - Great performers, good match. 8.5/10

6. Faces of Fear Vs. Public Enemy Vs. Harlem Heat - Barbarian did some nice catching of flying opponents It was short and better than I expected. 7/10

7. Steve McMichael Vs. Jeff Jarrett - For me boring like hell. Jarrett was top heel! 6/10

8. Death Match: Kevin Sullivan Vs. Chris Benoit - Hell that stiffy non-wrestler Sullivan... Suffer when I watch him. Poor Benoit. Sullivan is as great as his Double Foot Stomp Finisher move :) Benoit won and finally get this dumb-ass from the ring. Only for taking Sullivan out of ring forever I give: 7/10

9. WCW Tag Team Title Match: Champs: The Outsiders Vs. Giant/Luger (appeared later) - Luger appeared and helped Giant to win Tag Team Titles. 6.5/10

10. WCW World Heavyweight Title Match: Champ-Hulk Hogan Vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper - Ugly main event with two over 40 bad-skilled wrestlers. Hogan won. 5/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining enough
SlyGuy219 April 2018
1st Match: Dean Malenko vs X-Pac, WCW Cruiserweight Championship. Waltman has been stealing both Malenko's and Eddie's belts over the past few weeks, so that's a thing. The match is a pretty good start, both guys get some good shots in, and it's nice to have WCW commentator's on. The match ends via Waltman hitting Malenko with the belt after an accidental distraction from Eddie, kind of a weak ending, but it was alright up to that point. Rating: 3.5/5

2nd Match: Konnan, La Parka and Villano IV vs Juventud Guerrera, Super Caló and Ciclope. I know a couple of these guys, but this another one of those AAA spotfest matches to get he crowd invested. It's entertaining, mostly thanks to Mike Tenay knowing all the moves, but nothing special. I'll give it some points for the creative ending though. Rating: 3.5/5

3rd Match: Rey Mysterio vs Prince Iaukea, WCW World TV Championship. I'm guessing Iaukae is like the WCW version of Rocky Maivia. As green as the kid is, he does a good job against Rey, who's of course in top form. Regal comes down and causes Rey to lose, because he thinks he can beat Prince better than Rey. Interesting match. Rating: 3/5

4th Match: Buff Bagwell vs DDP. DDP's on a roll here, which is good to see, and story going into this is interesting. Bagwell is sent to dismantle Page, end of story, so there are no real pins here or anything, just a beatdown. It was nice to see Page get a one-up on the nWo though. Unfortunately the match ends in a DQ, but both guys do a good job here. Rating: 3.5/5

5th Match: Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Jericho, WCW US Heavyweight Championship. Two of my favorite guys goin' at it here. Both young, both incredibly talented. Great mix of technica and high-flying here. A few "Boring" chants from the crowd, but screw them, this is a great match. I hope these two can have a few more matches. Rating: 4/5

6th Match: Harlem Heat vs The Faces of Fear vs Public Enemy. Kind of a forgettable match. The team-up is alright, but I can't really remember a highlight except for Barbarian catching one of Public Enemy in mid air. Rating: 2.5/5

7th Match: Steve McMichael vs Jeff Jarrett. Another average match here, I just can't stand Jarrett on a personal level, so every match he wins I feel is bad for my health. Steve isn't all that great either, but he gets annihilated with a briefcase to the head, so there's that. It's really weird that WCW is still trying to squeeze action out of feuds that now have no relevance because the nWo is on top of everything. Rating: 3/5

8th Match: Chris Benoit vs Kevin Sullivan, San Francisco Death match. This match is basically their brawl from The Great American Bash last year. It's an entertaining fight, and Jackie and Nancy add some comedy to the match. The really awkward part for me is when Benoit and Nancy are being choked with the belt though. I know this was before their deaths, but it was still hard for me to watch knowing what happened to them. That has no bearing on the match though, just something I'm pointing out. Benoit pins Sullivan via diving through a table that doesn't break, and he, Jackie, and Sullivan are all stretchered out. Rating: 4/5

9th Match: Big Show and Lex Luger vs The Outsiders, WCW World Tag Team Championships. This suppose to be a handicap match for the belts, like Nash and Hall need another excuse to have an easy match. Show holds his own pretty well, Nash actually manages to Jackknife him, that's impressive. Luger comes out and saves Show, the two win the belts, and the crowd pops. Unfortunately they didn't keep 'em long, now I'm seriously wondering who is gonna take the belts from Hall and Nash. Rating: 3/5

10th Match: Hollywood Hogan vs Roddy Piper, WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Another alright brawl, even if the ref is super lenient. Also Nick Patrick isn't at this show, so that's a big positive. Pier and Hogan do a good job, given their age, but the ending is super overbooked. Piper gets Hogan in a sleeper, Hogan passes out, but the ref restarts the match once he sees Hogan's feet under the ropes. Savage hands Hogan some brass knucks, and Piper gets KO'd, the match ends like 6 seconds after it's restarted. It's a cluster of a finale that only serves to make Savage turn heel. super convoluted, but an OK end to the show. Rating: 3/5

Final Rating: 7 out of 10. Not the best show, but compared to WCW's show before it, it's a masterpiece.

R.I.P Chris Benoit

&

R.I.P Eddie Guerrero
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is a very annoying PPV
callanvass30 June 2016
Live from San Fransisco, CA

Attendance: 13,324

Your hosts are Tony Schiavone, Dusty Rhodes & Bobby Heenan

We open the show with Roddy Piper leaving "The Rock" prison in Alcatraz

Cruiserweight Championship

Dean Malenko (C) Vs Syxx

Syxx wins the title after Eddie Guerrero accidentally costs Malenko the match. This is an above average match, but there seemed to be something missing. I just felt these two are capable of much more. A good match that could have been better.

**3/4

Konnan, La Parka Villano IV Vs Juventud Guerrera, Super Calo & Ciclope

Konnan wins after pinning Juvi with a Razor's Edge into a powerbomb. They did some really creative stuff here. It was full of high-flying spots and lot of excitement. I love the Cruiserweights because they aren't so prohibited.

***1/4

Television Championship

Prince Iaukea (C) Vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

Iaukea retains the title after Steven Regal costs Mysterio the match. Iaukea figures out that Regal interfered and goes to give the belt to Mysterio, but Mysterio refuses it. They shake hands and embrace each other. This was a decent match, but it felt a little heatless. I just didn't feel this match was very important, despite the title being on the line.

**1/2

Diamond Dallas Paige Vs Buff Bagwell

DDP wins by DQ after the nWo tries to interfere. I was actually enjoying this until the abrupt ending. It moved quickly and managed to be fairly exciting. Decent stuff for sure!

**1/2

United States Championship

Eddie Guerrero Vs Chris Jericho

I am PUMPED for this one! Eddie retains with a sunset flip. This match was awesome! These two went all out and delivered an excellent match. The crowd infuriated me by chanting boring and being silent. At least the crowds today appreciate good wrestling.

***3/4

Triangle Match

The Faces of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian) Vs Public Enemy Vs Harlem Heat (W/Sister Sherri)

Public Enemy wins. This match was pretty pointless considering that nothing was on the line. There is nothing really wrong with it, it just lacked importance.

Steve McMichael (W/Debra) Vs Jeff Jarrett

Jarrett wins with the help of Debra. I can tell this PPV is gonna start to go downhill now. This is the first mediocre match of the night. There wasn't much Jarrett could do with McMichael's limitations.

*1/2

San Fransisco Death Match

Kevin Sullivan (W/Jacqueline & Jimmy Hart) Vs Chris Beniot (W/Woman)

This match means anything goes. Beniot wins after splashing Sullivan and Jacqueline simultaneously through a table. The table doesn't break and WCW officials are forced to come out. Sullivan, Beniot, and Jacqueline are all carried out on stretchers. Well, I have mixed feelings about this match. On one hand, it was cool to see Woman and Jacqueline kicking the crap out of each other at the same time Beniot and Sullivan were wrestling. On the other hand, it was distracting. I thought the match was pretty average as well.

Tag Team Championship

The Outsiders (W/Syxx) (C) Vs The Giant

Lex Luger was not allowed to wrestle because of Eric Bischoff. The match is now a handicapped match. Lex Luger comes out at the end. Bischoff tries to stop him, but Luger throws him aside. Luger and The Giant end up winning the tag team titles. Well, this match was below average to be expected. Nash hitting the jackknife powerbomb on The Giant was pretty cool.

*3/4

World Heavyweight Championship

"Hollywood" Hulk Hogan (C) (W/Ted Dibiase & Vincent) Vs "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Randy Savage turns heel and costs Roddy Piper the world title. This main event was a complete joke. Bischoff is robbing people of their money with crap like this. The ending to this match is an insult to anybody's intelligence. Rarely do I get this worked up over wrestling, but this really put a bad taste in my mouth.

½*

The PPV started off well, but went downhill after the undercard stuff was over. Unless you wanna be infuriated, I'd skip the main event. Then again, some people may dig the main event.

5.5/10