Conviction (TV Series 2006) Poster

(2006)

An Amazing Show, Please watch reruns this summer to save it!
tinkerbellekat20 May 2006
This is an excellent addition to the Law and Order Family! And it truly is a family with the return of Alex Cabot from SVU. It would be a shame for this show to get cancelled as it is on the fence, it could go either way according to nbc sites.

I am sure you'll fall in love with the characters and you'll look forward to each episode. The show is aired on Friday nights, I think that has a lot to do with possible low ratings.....if you don't have dvr or tivo, stick a tape in the vcr. You can still go out and enjoy your Friday night, and have an amazing hour of entertainment awaiting your return.

Watch it, there's a good looking guy/girl for every viewer to drool over! And the best thing is, you get that, plus great plot lines and character story lines!
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
KRican24 May 2006
The show got off to a weak start. As a huge fan of Stephanie March and Eric Balfour, I hung in and I am really glad I did. The episodes became increasingly more interesting and I began caring about the characters by mid-season. What I need to say is - the season finale surpassed any by far that I've seen in a long time. I am addicted to SVU, Desperate Housewives and Close to Home had a great finale this year, but Conviction's 180.8 episode absolutely blew me away. The emotion, sense of panic and urgency, as well as the poignancy of what people mean to us in times of tragedy had me on the edge of my seat in shock, horror and tears for it's entirety. I cannot wait for next season!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Conviction, It's worth a watch
Sarah4 March 2006
Conviction is a spin off of the Law and Order series. I am a personal favorite of Law and Order, and Law and Order:SVU, I've seen Criminal Intent and it is good, but I prefer the other two. When I saw this show advertised I thought I'd give it a try to see how I would like it.

As I watched it, I have to say, it was a little slow to start, but I did enjoy it. I love that Stephanie March returned and has reprized her role as Alexandra Cabbot from SVU. She was a great ADA on SVU and now she carries that over to Conviction. There are a lot of up and comer actors/actresses and I really think that if NBC gives it a shot, it will be a great show.

There are some stories lines that develop romantic relationships which looks like the difference between the other shows in the Law and Order series. They don't seem to focus on the personal lives of the detectives, the ADA's, the district attorney's, etc. This show doesn't point the spotlight on it, but it does get a little spark, enough to make me want to watch what happens next week.

And it's not just the office romance. The actors in this show really step up with hard shoes to fill. They all seem to have their own personal views on how the law is seen, understood and most of all, how it should be practiced. They step up to help each other and to help the victims they defend in court and most of all, to put away the people who created victims.

This was a good show to watch and with time it will get even better as the stories lines can only get more interesting. If you like any of the Law and Order series shows, you should absolutely check out conviction. I cannot wait to see this show develop. And I've only seen it 1 time.....
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Conviction is an excellent show!!!!!!!!!!!!
gymnast10127 March 2006
I would highly recommend Conviction to anyone interested in law or just someone who wants to find a great show about life. It has great actors including Stephanie March and Anson Mount. It's good to see Alexandra Cabot out of witness protection. She was amazing on SVU. I've heard reviews about Conviction saying that it is unorganized, but I sincerely disagree with that. It might not have been made for people to follow the cases, but it doesn't leave you hanging either, on conviction, your supposed to follow the characters. It is the opposite of SVU. I think that is why some people don't like it. They're used to Dick Wolf's usual hard core dramas. He is just trying something new, and so far it is turning out great. It is a big step over from SVU, which I would also highly recommend, but all those people out there saying how horrible conviction is, just want something to call bad. I wonder if they even actually watched it. It is a great show about young inexperienced attorneys trying to maintain their work level while dealing with their personal lives. It is hardly what I call a "sex in the work place show" and it's not NBC's attempt to replace Greys Anatomy. That's ridiculous. Grey Anotomy was good, but so is Conviction. Conviction is an emotional Crime Drama. Many people say that they made the characters careless, or too problematic. That's what we call Life! The characters are normal people trying to survive their work and home lives. There insults are not true. If your lives don't slightly resemble theirs, then you must be living the perfect life. Conviction is an well made show, with excellent characters. Dick Wolf should feel very proud.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best lack all conviction: Existential TV, maybe?
jshoaf19 March 2006
I was impressed by this show, of which I've seen two episodes. The theme seems to be that the pace of life and of crime today is so fast that one can no longer seek truth or justice--one must just keep doing what one is doing and perhaps try to be kind to those who can't keep up.

The classic crime show follows the track laid down by Sherlock Holmes and beloved of all mystery readers: the Good Guys are the recurring characters, and they are completely dedicated to Justice, and in each episode/story they track down Bad Guys who have violated the law or morality in some way and try to see that the legal system punishes the Bad Guys for what they have done. Maybe sometimes it turns out that there is no crime actually committed--no Bad Guy this time; maybe sometimes the Bad Guy turns out to be sympathetic and virtuous; sometimes legal system is unable to follow through. But all these conflicts are registered for us through the wisdom of the Good Guys, who represent the desire for Truth and Justice.

In Conviction, the protagonists are not in fact particularly Good Guys. The head of the group of DAs, Cabot, will bend truth, justice, and/or the law to obtain a desirable conviction, and clearly gets a personal thrill not out of Truth or Justice but out of Winning. In another show, she would be shown up as stupid or incompetent, but here she is the smartest and most competent person around. The assistant DAs who make up most of the cast could be divided between those who will bend the law to protect themselves and those who are naively committed to some version of Justice--except that the law-benders have consciences and the committed ones find themselves compromising, and compromised too. Winning a case can be worse than losing one, even if Justice is served for a few minutes in the courtroom. What's more, in some cases even we the audience don't get to know the truth about a case--all we get to know is what the DA knows, and that may not be conclusive.

It is really impressive to have such a large cast, each member with a case, all moving around, bumping into each other, often lying to each other, in one episode. The plot is just a pattern glimpsed in chaos. There is no illusion that when one case ends, the DAs can sit down and congratulate each other; more crime is out there, other cases are bubbling up as the criminals and victims of the preceding one sink into the background. I feel that this could be a very truthful and moral show, precisely because it does not comfort one with the triumph of Truth and Virtue.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
NBC cancels yet another Dick Wolf drama without giving it a fair chance
tristabella72119 May 2006
I have to question NBC's cancellation of Conviction *just* when it was starting to get good - just like they did to Law and Order: Trial By Jury. But this time, we will be left with a cliffhanger of season finale that turns out to be the series finale. And NBC is putting Law and Order: Criminal Intent into the Friday 10 p.m. slot, also known as the kiss of death air time. Will NBC cancel CI, too? In related news - NBC has chosen to bring back Crossing Jordan, a show I love, but are waiting until January. Maybe we will get lucky and NBC will decide to bring back Conviction after all as a midseason replacement - or maybe CourtTV, A & E or Bravo will decide to pick it up. NBC could have even moved it over to USA network (which they also own).
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Refreshing. Not bad. Better than most other stuff now.
nolimitpolo3 March 2006
In the first episode of a show that I turned on halfway through, the one thing I felt stood out was the acting of a few members of the cast...I felt that they portrayed an amateur or younger lawyer or DA perfectly in comparison to what we see on Law and Order. As for the rest of the show, it is different enough from the other Dick Wolf stuff that I find it more than interesting and will be marking this on the list for next week's show.

I realize that 12 or so years ago this show might not have legs, but compared to what we see now, this makes the short list with The Shield, The Office, and My Name Is Earl as shows to watch in 2006 for me!!!
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bring This Back
This was one of the best things on TV in the past 25 years. I don't see why it was cancelled. All the cast was perfect.

I especially liked Stephanie March, Milena Govich, Jordan Bridges, and Eric Balfour.

This legal drama show, created by Dick Wolf, was a spin-off of Law & Order and about a group of young district attorneys who were eager to make a name for themselves. The professional and personal lives of each one was played out to the fullest as you came to know their histories, families, feelings, and beliefs.

This is the one show that should have lasted. I am glad I bought the DVD's!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Best I have ever seen
asdincome22 May 2011
I am truly sorry that I never saw this when it came out. I watched all 12 episodes on Hulu and thought it was one of the best series I have ever seen. I would have been upset that it got canceled and wish it was showing with the same cast on todays TV series. It is thought provoking, interesting and the cast had chemistry which gave it a real life feel. I am a particular fan of how the characters are made to be vulnerable yet tough in an environment they are supposed to be invincible in. If this series were to return I would most certainly watch it and believe that it would have a much longer life than it did the first time around.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has potential...
harvardchick3 March 2006
All of the Law and Order shows focus directly on the crime committed during the episode. The personal lives of the detectives remains somewhat of a mystery... This show is about the characters and their personal lives. Of course, the courtroom drama is still there. We enter the world of young, naiveté, Assistant District Attorneys. Some beginning their career as an ADA, others continuing. It's unique characters consists of: Bureau Chief Alexandra Cabot, an original cast member of Law and Order: SVU, and departed the show by entering witness protection (which will be explained in future episodes). Has been describe as "savvy, yet dedicated" attorney. Deputy DA Jim Steele, a straightforward guy who always seem to know things... Nick Potter, a young lawyer who left a "posh" firm to become an ADA. Brian Peluso, a womanizer balancing his job and trying to mend his love life. Christina Finn, who tries her first case the best she can, learning from all her, quite hilarious, mistakes. Billy Desmond, an egotistical lawyer who only takes on the cases he can win. Jessica Rossi, another quite mysterious person, she helps out Nick. The ensemble cast is just amazing. Although the plot does have it's ups and downs, I liked it. It lacks the stupidity of Boston Legal, but has more professionalism in their office. I do think that it has room for improvement. You know, don't take my word for it, go watch it and check it out for yourself.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
loved it
anster18222 February 2006
I was able to view a prerelease copy and its great. Glad to see Stephanie March back into action from witness protection program but we do not right away find out why and how she comes back first episode filled with characters you can relate too and a suspenseful twist. The show keeps you on your toes, and not only concentrates on Law and the "business" part of the show, but mostly with individual characters, their emotions within work and social life, and interpersonal relationships inside the bureau. This show is a mix of Grey's Anatomy's (with characters in relationships with fellow colleagues) and the Law and Order franchise's criminal prosecuting.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
these young prosecutors show promise
grace avila22 February 2006
Dick Wolf, the creator of the acclaimed Law & Order and its spin-offs, has yet again been dipping his creative pen into the world of law and order in a new NBC series. Set in the New York District Attorney's office, Conviction gives us a peek at the lives of the assistant district attorneys in Wolf's imagination. Joining NBC's lineup mid-season could be a death sentence to any new drama series. However, Conviction has the potential to follow in 2005's Grey's Anatomy's successful footsteps. There are, in fact, similarities in the two series' plots. Though in a legal setting, Conviction is a show about twenty-somethings starting their careers after graduate school. These smart young attractive lawyers, through their uncertainty and eagerness, appeal to the audience. Viewers will respond to this smart show positively, that is if they are open to another sex-in-the-workplace melodrama.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow
c2000666027 December 2006
Hi Over the Christmas break I got a chance to watch the Conviction DVDs and I must say that they are amazing.

Being an SVU fan, I was initially drawn to the Alexandra Cabot character, however I must say that I have enjoyed all the characters.

Is there any chance that this series will be revived?

The most exhilarating episode was the second last one and I was very thankful that there was a finale. So many of the 'ending' episodes prior to a series being off air for the non-ratings season end with cliff-hangers and I was pleasantly surprised that this one did not.

While you knew the ending, come on the good guys must win. But I wasn't prepared for it to be so dramatic.

The character profiles make the DVDs a worthwhile buy even if you have seen the series on TV.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Season Finale of the Spring Season--Maybe ever?! This show should not be canceled!!
dachsiegal25 May 2006
This is one of the best shows on TV. The finale reduced both me and my husband to tears--& I am an attorney!! The characters are well developed and you care what happens to each. And the show is not formulaic--there are surprises. At the beginning, I hated the Potter character--unbelievable, wooden, spoiled--he reminded me of Potsie from "Happy Days." But after the finale, when he stood up to the hostage-takers in court, I felt he redeemed himself. This show should be given a chance. It is much better than "Desperate Housewives," "Lost," or "House." It is well-written and entertaining. This coming from a 31-year old woman--good demographic!! NBC please reconsider the cancellation!!!!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dick Wolf Vs David E. Kelley…
ck-732 April 2008
As I am only two episodes into 'Conviction', I will restrict my comments to cursory observations rather than critical analysis.

The visual tone of Conviction is unlike any other show from the Dick Wolf stable. It is filmed in a much more accommodating, easy-to-swallow manner – i.e. LESS grit MORE gloss. It undoubtedly has a more light-hearted backbone than the Law & Order franchise– owing in most part to quirky incidental music reminiscent of Boston Legal, and cast interplay akin to that of Ally McBeal (Look out for ex-Ally actress Julianne Nicholson).

In addition to the above points, the romantic sub-plots threading through each episode offer the viewer a more 'soap-like' viewing experience – (make your own mind up as to the merits of this gambit).

The acting is solid, with the odd shining light raising the bar (no pun intended) – namely Eric Balfour; who manages to make the creepiest of moustaches look fractionally cool. Stephanie March is of course as effortless as ever, with accomplished support from J August Richards and Anson Mount.

Although there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about this show, it does sustain viewer interest by combining brisk filming – intertwining 2-3 cases in each episode – with office romps, office politics and office banter. Blend all of this with an attractive cast, quirky music and glossy camera filters – and hey presto, another watchable Dick Wolf production.

My only criticism, and believe me, this is being hyper-pedantic, is what a terrible choice of names! 'Conviction' as a show title is far too abrasive, and in no way reflects the actual tone of proceedings. I told you it was pedantic didn't I?

In conclusion, after watching two episodes, I will probably seek out a third, but if my TV explodes later today - rendering me unable to watch any more Conviction - I will be more upset that I have to buy a new television than missing out on episode 3,4,5 etc.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Different than all other Law & Order Shows
fatkidchuckles24 April 2006
What most people fail to realize is that this show is examining the lives of the ADAs, how the cases effect them. It does not focus on one case each episode like all the other Law & Order shows, and so, yes, characters like Cabot are going to have more personality. I for one am happy with the show. I think it is a good departure. There are way too many CSIs, Without A Trace, Law & Order shows out there, that the stories all start to blend. Not to mention, the writing on all of these shows is so bland, dry, overused, clichéd and there is very little actual character development. Conviction is a character-driven show, not a case-driven show. Let's just hope the writing will help it reach its potential, and not kill it before it even finds life.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Conviction" - It's worth watching.
strawberries_2210 March 2006
I think this show has potential, if NBC sticks to it. I must say, I had no idea about this show until the night of its debut when I came across it just as it was starting. I liked it well enough. As with most pilots however, you are busy trying to figure out the dynamics of each character so I wasn't overwhelmed or anything. But the second episode which just aired tonight was REALLY good. Most of the characters have good and bad in them, I think and over time, could develop a lot. I wasn't sure about Eric Balfour as a lawyer at first, but whoa the guy can act! :) Kind of reminds me of a young Sean Penn. You know how Grey's Anatomy is more about the characters rather than the cases? I think Conviction is similar (not the comedy part of it!) in that the character, and how they react/act/think, are the essence of the show. I hope they keep the show going for a while, allow people to catch on.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A warped view of the American vision of a system of justice
Peter Guither1 March 2006
I watched the pilot of Conviction, because I wanted to check out how the "Law and Order" folks would portray the role of prosecutors in our society.

It was appalling.

Don't get me wrong. It's a well-produced slick formula series that pushes all the right buttons, and it may do well. But it's not a bit about justice and it continues that conviction- at-all-costs, defendants-are-scum philosophy (along with sensationalism) that was developed in the endless "Law and Order" series.

There are a whole lot of very attractive young prosecutors having sex and dealing with their personal problems along with their jobs, and they end up at a bar at the end of the day à la Ally McBeal. But unlike Ally McBeal, the bars are meaningless (and so is the sex).

There's the attractive African American prosecutor who never lost a case, (and to protect his record will dump the tough ones), the sloppy guy with his shirt-tails out who's a good prosecutor but can't handle his personal life, the attractive brunette who's sleeping with her boss, the idealistic young man who comes from a privileged family and will have to shed that baggage. And I didn't care about any of them.

There was one -- an Assistant DA -- that gave me just a glimmer of hope that here might be a character that cared about justice (and not just conviction). But they killed him off halfway through the pilot, in an apparent manipulative shock moment to make us see that prosecutors have tough, scary lives, and so we could feel for the young prosecutors who were sorry that their boss was dead.

Now lets take a look at the cases being prosecuted. Mostly drugs, of course. The marquee event was the Escobar case. The producers wanted to be sure there would be no question which side you should be on. The drug trafficker was a sleazy guy who would entice attractive blond white women into partying at his clubs and then convince them to swallow balloons of drugs and smuggle them. When one of the balloons broke and a girl started to OD, he personally slit her belly open to retrieve the drugs, all in the presence of her friend (who oddly had been allowed to turn down the drug smuggling offer and even more oddly was left alive to tell the story).

The prosecutors were going to do anything to get their conviction.

At one point, when the witness is too scared to testify...

"Arrest her."

"There's no proof she committed a crime."

"Find some. A couple nights in Ryker and she'll sing Bel Canto."

Later, they do arrest her, charging her with felony drug conspiracy and felony murder, in order to force her testimony.

The second case -- the comic relief subplot case -- was about a young black man arrested for selling crack.

The officer -- an incredibly fat white man who looked like he'd have a heart attack if he walked 10 feet -- tells the green prosecutor:

"You didn't plead him out? I appreciate your efforts, counselor, but this case is strictly N-H- I... there was No Humans Involved -- it's scum dealing drugs to scum. A less enlightened guy might say 'who cares.'"

The young prosecutor screws up every aspect of the case, from not knowing how to question a witness to losing track of the evidence, and the curmudgeonly judge helps her through these lapses.

In the trial, the defendant and his attorney (who claim he was framed) extensively (and rightly) ridicule the cop's claim that he chased the defendant for 100 yards. I was convinced the defendant was innocent, and the jury seemed convinced as well. And then the young prosecutor steps up with her summation:

"There's no question that the defendant, by virtue of his charm and humor and eloquence was able to diminish the serious nature of the crime with which he's been charged. I mean, let's face it. He was funny. He made you laugh. He was, in a word, entertaining."

"But picture him in a different setting -- the street. A place where he deploys his humor and his charm and his eloquence to entice naive children to experiment with crack -- the poison that he sells -- the poison that decimates so many promising lives. And that, ladies and gentlemen... is not funny."

(At that point, a dramatic camera shift shows the judge, who smiles and nods – (she did good))

Conviction.

Yep, it's the "Drugs are bad, Mmmkay" prosecution. It wasn't about witnesses, or developing a link between the evidence and the defendant. No. The prosecutor said "Drugs are bad," and the jury said: "Well, the defendant must be guilty, then."

Now, I understand that this is television. It's not a documentary, and there's no requirement that a dramatic television series reflect reality. And stereotypical exploitive criminal justice story lines are much easier to write and sell. I fully support the right of NBC to program whatever they wish and for individuals to watch it or not as they wish.

Also, the show is intended to be about the characters -- the young prosecutors -- and the actual prosecution is of secondary importance to the writers. And who knows -- the characters may turn out to be interesting as the series continues.

But it does make me sad.

Audiences who follow this show are going to continue to get a viewpoint that the only thing that matters is conviction, the defendant is always scum, and that things like the Bill of Rights are annoyances around which the prosecution must navigate.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As a writer I am embarrassed...
cutebutstoopid4 March 2006
The first thing I noticed was the fact that none of the front line creative people have ever been involved with the whole 'L&O' franchise before.

Then I noticed the clichéd way the male characters dealt with their hook-ups the next day.

Then I noticed the insanely seventies manner in which a SITTING JUDGE teaches a REPRESENTATIVE OF THE STATE how to caretake evidence which includes controlled substances. Which? The degree of incompetency that would be required for controlled substances to be left unattended in a COURTROOM is just a joke.

It amazes me that everyone piled on the previous occupant of this time slot: 'Inconceivable.' (Also with a 'L&O' alumnus.)

This is embarrassing. The fact that NBC has buried it in the same slot that killed 'Inconceivable' should tell you all you need to know.

The people who are responsible for this show have never known privilege, have never known poverty, have never worked in an office and have likely never taken a moral stand in their entire lives.

Enough said.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so Bad
shoguntee3 March 2006
I know some people are hammering the pilot pretty bad, but really it's not that bad. Sure there are the stereotypical cast of characters, but that doesn't mean the writing is automatically bad. It's what happens with these characters over the course of time that really matters. Conviction is more focused on the lives of the prosecutors than the other Law and Order shows, and the change is a definite plus. In time, this show could turn into a good replacement for those of us who just can't get into Boston Legal.

To the guy who is complaining about Elias Koteas? Get outta here, man. Clearly, he wasn't brought in to be a "Chris Meloni" type, as he was killed pretty quickly! It makes me wonder if you even watched the entire episode or just skimmed it and left.

It's good to see Stephanie March back on regular TV and I hope this show at least gets the chance to get it's feet under it and become something good.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wish there were more episodes
yuehan115 February 2007
Compelling show, enjoyed every episode. Thought I would hate it, but couldn't resist downloading the first episode for free from itunes. I was hooked from there. Too bad it was canceled. Some of the comments here claim that this show was too formulaic, but I beg to differ. There was a freshness in the cast of this show. Enough to make it worthwhile to come back to. My one criticism stems from the predictability of the episodes. It seems that the young DAs somehow win every single case, or at least get a pretty good plea deal. This seems unrealistic to say the least. I would think that there is a MUCH lower success rate with these types of cases. Then again, TV requires suspension of disbelief, and apparently the better the show, the more one must suspend. Here's hoping that the powers that be see some of the positive comments about this show and decide to breathe life into it once again.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome, A must see!
danicakes1626 May 2006
At first i wasn't so sure of the show, i watched the first one because it was a Wolf production and a i love L&O AND L&O SVU, so the first show starts of with two ppl making love so i was a bit confused as to where it was going but after the first show i couldn't wait till the nest week. There's a more personal connection with the characters which i L&O all the series somewhat lacks. Now that the season is over i cant wait till it starts again, but i agree with Sarah's post the cast defintley puts up their own views subconsciously on how the law should be interpreted. all i can say is for those who watch the show it was about time that Christina and Brian finally came clean about their feelings!! But Conviction is directed to a younger audience than the L&O series, but my mom still likes it!!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Dick Wolf show that deserved a fairer chance
TheLittleSongbird9 August 2015
The other being Law and Order: Trial by Jury, also a very short-lived series that had its problems but was getting better. Conviction is an uneven show and nowhere near the best work that Dick Wolf did (the original Law and Order), but it showed a lot of potential and got cancelled- which I put down to scheduling- before it had time to properly grow.

Like Trial by Jury, Conviction also has a few too many characters, and some are better developed and more interesting than others, with Potter and Finn faring the best of the main characters and one does wish that the show gave a reason for Cabot's presence and how and why she came out of witness protection for continuity with Special Victims Unit. That a lot of the show felt rushed with a lot of content and too short a length added to this. While the concept was really interesting and different, the most original of Wolf's shows, some of the writing still could have been tighter, some of it detailing the personal lives of the characters was like predictable soap-opera, especially in the early episodes. There are also times where it does try to do too much, with instances of trying to take on two, three or more elements (grit, light-heartedness) with variable effectiveness (like the light-heartedness feeling occasionally at odds), giving it at times a disjointed feel.

On the other hand, even with a different, glossier look, the series is stylishly filmed and looks great. The music is quirkier and more varied than the Law and Order shows, but no less atmospheric or fitting, and there is some taut thought-provoking script-writing in the scenes dealing with the crimes, trials and in the later episodes and in a way that feels more honest than Trial by Jury. The early episodes lack tightness, and the show feels rushed and over-stuffed, but the stories do maintain interest and thought and there are some great moments, like the teen being tried as an adult, the cancer storyline and especially the spectacular finale that was both intense and heart-wrenching. Conviction also has some excellent acting, Stephanie March does not disappoint (anyone who is a fan of her character on Special Victim's Unit will love her here), Eric Balfour does sleazy perfectly, Anson Mount is stoic and powerful in presence and Julianne Nicholson is affectingly vulnerable.

All in all, uneven and could have been better, but also impresses in a lot of areas and deserved a fairer chance than it got. 7/10 Bethany Cox
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Addition to the Law & Order Universe. Sad that it only lasted 1 season...
A.D.A. Alexandra Cabot was definitely without a question my favorite out of all the ADA's in the entire Law & Order Franchise. I thought this show was awesome! It opened the door for so many crossovers with all of the different L&O Series. I also thought that it was a good idea that Wolf decided to do a spin-off centering around The District Attorney's point of view. I have no idea why they canceled it. Everybody I know that is a L&O fan loved this new series. And honestly, who more better and qualified to handle that job then the Ice Queen Cabot. She totally kicked butt as SVU's Liaison and definitely had a command presence about her character. It was so disappointing when they wrote her out of the series again after coming back in 2011.

There were so many amazing ADA's in the whole franchise that they could have used them all as a revolving cast for the spin-off to have kept it going for fans. Every fan has at least One ADA that was their favorite and they would have liked to seen more of.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant but....
mahajanssen11 April 2006
I have been a faithful Law & Order fan ever since I can remember so I waited with anticipation as I heard about this new one here. All in all, it's pretty entertaining and gripping at times & as another commentator quoted here, it's a lot like 'Grey's Anatomy' but the sex-in-the-workplace formula is getting really old. They've used it in almost every series so they should do something different already. I mean it's logical for co-workers to get involved, especially ones who spend a lot of time at work but I'm sure not all lawyers marry/sleep with other lawyers. It would be interesting to see how they would juggle with a partner of a different profession. Wouldn't that be more interesting especially if it were to explore another territory altogether instead of doing the same old thing all the time. We had it from Ally McBeal, The Practice etc. They should do something different for a change.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this