Deal or No Deal (TV Series 2005–2009) Poster

(2005–2009)

Surprisingly Exciting "Deal"!
truegenius-122 December 2005
"Deal or No Deal", from Endemol, the folks that gave you "Fear Factor" and "Extreme Makeover", brought this international import to the States for a five-night run on NBC originally back in December 2005. Hosted by Howie Mandel, the show is like a cross between "Let's Make a Deal" and "Russian Roulette", and here's how it works: A contestant out of the audience chooses one numbered briefcase out of 26 for their game. The cases have cash values ranging from one cent all the way up to $1 million (and there are several six-figure prizes starting at $100,000). All the values are posted on a large, projection-screen TV monitor in the studio. The contestant then begins a process of elimination, calling out the numbers of six briefcases. As each number is called, a lovely model opens the numbered case to reveal the cash amount inside (Mandel: "Nikki, open the case."). The cash amount is then removed from the list of cash values on the projection monitor.

Following this, a "banker", seated in a surveillance room above the studio floor, phones the host with an "offer" - a dollar amount he is willing to make for the briefcase the contestant chose at the start of the game. Essentially, the offer is an average of all the cash amounts on the monitor that haven't been yet eliminated - the more low amounts that are eliminated, the higher the offer. The host informs the contestant of the offer - which is posted in large numerals on the projection monitor - and then, after a bit of mathematical banter, the host pops the all-important question to the contestant: "Deal or No Deal?" If the contestant accepts the Deal, he/she wins the value of the offer and the game ends. If not, the contest must open five more briefcases before the next offer is made. If the contestant passes on the Deal at that point, then he/she must open four more cases, then three more, then two more, until in the later points in the game, there is an offer issued after one briefcase is selected.

The tension increases with every round of selections because in many cases, a contestant chooses a case with a large dollar amount, eliminating the possibility of winning that prize. Also adding to the drama - the contestant has three to four other guests (loved ones or friends) on the show to help him/her decide whether or not to take a Deal, usually introduced after the second round of briefcase selections. So there is an emotional aspect to "Deal" as well, one the large studio audience gets pumped up for.

Once the contestant has accepted a Deal, the host has the contestant theoretically play out the rest of the briefcase selections ("Let's see what you would have done...") and then reveals the contents of the briefcase that the contestant chose at the start of the game.

Overall, "Deal or No Deal" offers the best odds for winning $1 million on national TV - 1 in 26. But as host Howie Mandel states at the beginning of each show, the game is a combination of "luck, guts, and a great sense of timing." Part of Mandel's opening spiel: "One million dollars as the top prize. No crazy stunts to perform, no trivia questions to answer. In fact, there's only one question you need to know how to answer, the only question that counts. Deal or No Deal?" At the time of this writing, "Deal or No Deal" was introduced by NBC as a "stripped" broadcast (same time for five consecutive weeknights), airing between 8pm and 9pm Eastern Time. The show's initial ratings for the first two nights were great news for NBC; they handily won their Monday and Tuesday time slots.

Part of the entertainment value of "Deal or No Deal" is watching the contestants agonize over whether to accept a Deal or press their luck; a knowledge (or appreciation) of probability helps a lot, and screen graphics are occasionally shown to help viewers do the numbers (Example: "Kyle has a 25% chance his case contains at least $300,000"). The exchanges between the contestants and their guests are often very funny. Host Howie Mandel, better known for his goofball stand-up comedy and appearances on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno", is an affable host, not overpowering the show. He has "a great sense of timing" himself, and sets up cliffhangers before each commercial (sending the audience into frustrated groans of anticipation).

And for anyone that doesn't believe there's a play-along element to the show, you get caught up in the moment, screaming at the TV, "Take the deal, you bonehead!" Most NBC affiliates also participated in the "Lucky Case" home game, in which viewers could win $10,000 based on their selection of one of the 26 cases.

Considering "Deal or No Deal" requires no intellectual knowledge (other than, perhaps, a little statistical analysis) nor mastery of a game (such as "Wheel of Fortune" or GSN's "Lingo") it is a surprisingly entertaining show. At the time of this writing, over 30 other countries had their own versions of the show.
38 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
character analysis at it's most interesting level
babblingbooks7 April 2006
Well, I, for one, find this show to be very interesting and entertaining. Walk away when the commercials come on and come back three or four minutes later and you will eliminate most of the irritation. Howie Mandel does a really good-natured hosting bit that should be a lesson to those that take themselves too seriously.

The girls are great and are having a lot of fun. This show will develop into a truly entertaining habit for the American viewing audience.

I found myself muttering at the ridiculous offers of the mysterious banker (the cheap creep ... get real!) I wanted some of the macho type, posturing contestants to refuse an offer and have to settle for a lot less. (goody goody) .. The whole gamut of human emotions that is strung out here is quite consuming... I look forward to the next show to see what sort of contestant we have and how they will handle it.

I should like so much to slap some of the contestants silly. Greed is either funny or pathetic and sometimes both at once. Tune in and feel very superior to these poor creatures and find yourself pulling for some of them and despising others. All the facets of watching a wrestling match without having to ignore the phoniness. These people really do want that money.

I am trying to tell you why you are going to get hooked. A very nice package and I say, "Yay, Howie, keep it on the fun level that it is now. Watch it. Enjoy it. Don't let anyone tell you it is not worth while until you have tried it yourself. Any night it is NOT on, I am very disappointed.

OLD DAD
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intellectually challenged???
smenapache1 March 2006
Since when does a show have to be "intellectually Challenging"? Wheel of Fortune has lasted for decades with practically NO intellect required. (Other then knowing the English Language) The reason this "game" is so good is because it IS Brilliantly simple. They could've just called it "Greed" because that's all it's about.. that and knowing how to play the odds. In the tradition of "Let's make a Deal" where contestants keep their prizes or chose between trading for what's behind curtain 1, 2 or 3; there hasn't been a similar game on television since.

You have to Praise "originality" on television these days no matter how simple. Look at how many Networks copy the success of an Original show.. there was American Idol, so other networks tried to bring back Star Search to compete, and then Nashville Star.. both of which never came close. Survivor becomes a hit, so they try Fear Factor, The Cage, and endless others. "Tough Man" makes a mark as a Boxing competition, so they throw out the Contender and another Boxing reality show. Lost becomes a hit, so networks try and compete or Capitalize with Surface, Invasion and Threshold ... Law and Order and CSI are hits, so they make two more Spinoffs of each that saturate the Original.

These days, if a show isn't competing with a similar show it should be PRAISED. Surprisingly enough, "Deal or No Deal" actually has that "addictive" entertaining quality to it. No matter how simple it is. It's only downside in programming is that it's competing for airtime against "American Idol" which has been dominating 3 nights in a row in it's new season... blame those responsible for scheduling.

I can see this show returning many more times. And as for the "Banker", He'll probably be revealed one of these days. Maybe It'll be Regis. Simple it may be, but with all the copy-cat programming, at least it's refreshingly "Different".
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just about enough
caa8216 April 2007
Please, spare me!! This program was watchable at its beginning, and Howie Mandell is a likable presence. And even now, he does the best possible, given his "script," and the guests which the producers have chosen.

I must admit, though, I still watch it some, with the sound muted about 90% of the time or more. Almost without exception the contestants act like yowling hyenas or screeching magpies, and their actions are a good approximation as well.

If there are those who feel as I do, then suicide watches should be established for the inevitable moment when Howie says "...change your life" one too many times.

The game is a simplistic lottery, with no way the contestants, who usually avow they have chosen a case with big bucks, could possibly have any intelligent reason for so believing. And then the Stepford models wish them luck, and purport sometimes to act if revealing a huge amount is somehow their fault. All they do is walk-on and stand like attractive cyborgs, holding an object with a figure enclosed which nobody viewing has any notion as to its amount.

So why do I watch at all? First, it has reached the level, like some movies, as being so bad that it is (sometimes) pretty "good," in a fascinating way. And I hope to catch the occasional contestant for whom you can "root," who has the intelligence to take the 6-figure offer, perhaps $200,000 or more, rather than risk opening the one large case remaining, among several smaller ones. This would be like someone having a $200,000 bankroll in Vegas, and laying $150,000 on the table, knowing if they picked a low card (among, say, 4 or 5) they could make a nice winning but if they selected the high one, their 150 thou would be gone. No sane person should make this wager. Yet several who could have walked away with a quarter of a million or so have opened one case too many and left (if smart) with 30- to 50-thousand. But several of these have continued and opened the last reasonably large case to leave with $10,000 or less.

Even the best poker players - the pros - go "on tilt" - playing stupidly the nest hand or two after a significant loss, compounding the problem, even though they know better. The contestants on this show do this a maximum speed.

I'd also like to see the occasional show (only one I saw was close to this, although there have probably been some others) where a contestant opens almost nothing but low amounts.

The reverse would interesting, where a contestant might open the cases with the nine largest amount initially.

One other fact. Among the contestants, as well as the three friends/family each one has on-stage (they must be endured, as well, as well as Howie's banter with them) most seem to have one thing in common: whatever their ages, backgrounds or interests, few look like they have ever pushed away from the dinner table early, or refused additional helpings.

On a recent program, the man playing turned-down $41,000, and then opened the last big case ($300,000) with $5,000 the highest of the few then remaining. He got to the point of a $2,500 "offer, with two cases remaining - $5,000 & $10. He kept "his" case, walked away with ten bucks, but with Howie's affirmation that he has a lovely family.

On another, A young Korean man, for once a likable, non-annoying presence, announced his folks had come to America with just $750 to make a new life. His parents were in the audience (and thankfully, likable as well), and he had the good sense to take $200,000+, with $75, $750 and $750,000 remaining. The was indeed an interesting coincidence, and his case contained $750, more interesting yet. But Howie treated this as if it were just shy of being on the order or the "second coming." This show does not lack hyperbole in any way.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was SO suspenseful!!!!!!
BauersHere00719 December 2005
I liked this show a lot!!! It was incredibly suspenseful!!! The object of the game is really good. There are 26 different cases,each with a different dollar amount. The amount's range from 1 million dollars to 1 cent. Howie Mendal was really cool and made the game fun for everyone. Truthfully I almost had a heart attack watching this.

The commericals were REALLY getting on my nerves. Not really much you could do about that. I admit it's not as bad as American Idol commericals but still really annoying. In conclusion, I liked the show. Once again, very suspenseful!!!

**** out of *****
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deal me out!,
benbrae7611 September 2006
I just cannot warm to this boring and stupid tarting up of "Take your Pick". The only saving grace is that the old ludicrous "Yes, No Interlude" was omitted. (I am talking about the UK version of the game, not the American, which seems be an altogether more extravagant and flamboyant affair, if the other comments on it are anything to go by.) We have the Lottery, TV Poker, and other shows of their ilk coming out of our nostrils, and it seems to be the modern TV trend to turn the whole country into raving gambling addicts, and this "game show" is no exception to the madness.

There is virtually no viewer participation involved, not even the semblance of any knowledge, intelligence or brain work required (even to the extent of adding up two and two, which seems to be the limit as far as these types of shows go). I do realise that not all programmes have to be soul-searching and brain-wearying, but surely this show has been scraped from the bottom of the barrel. That people actually watch it, and seemingly enjoy it, is probably a great surprise to the producers. However, please forgive me for having better things to do... like sleeping.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People Pick Random Numbers... That's It... Who Finds This Entertaining?
Andy5 September 2008
All that happens in this entire show is models holding numbered briefcases walk out, then the host (that famous and hilarious guy who starred in the movie "Walk Like A Man" in like 1981 then disappeared until now) asks the contestant to randomly pick numbers. Then they open those cases. Wow! That's it. The object is to not open the cases with big dollar amounts in them. A completely random game. After each round, the "banker" (a shadowy figure in a booth overlooking the studio floor - possibly one of the host's "Walk Like A Man" co-stars) calls down with an offer to buy the briefcase the contestant selected. Then they have to decide if they will take the offer or shout "NO DEAL!" and put the smack down on a big red button, which is so dramatic a moment I simply cannot put it into words. This show is almost as boring as watching grass grow. It says nothing but horrible things about our society that this random-numbers-guessing-game is a highly rated TV show.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
$0.49 text message? No Deal!
jsmith12-11 February 2006

Anywho, I feel the show was OK, but the numerous commercial breaks and the dumb calls to the mysterious banker made it unwatchable. To be fair, I liked the shows premise and enjoyed watching the contestants' reactions.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sad example of why T.V. has gone down the drain.
BlackJack_B25 March 2007
You know, I used to enjoy watching T.V. but today all we're getting is nothing but reality T.V. and terrible game shows that could never match such greats like The Price Is Right or Match Game. The dumbing-down of North American society mandated by Dubya and Hollywood continues to reach new lows and Deal Or No Deal isn't even the nadir.

To be honest, I've played the game on occasion at parties and it's pretty fun. However, there is no skill involved except for trying to control your greed.

The show, on the other hand, is absolutely unwatchable. It's not due to Howie Mandel, who I've always felt was a pretty talented guy or his models but for the contestants they bring in. These people represent the worst of North American society. Many of them deliver the exact stereotypes of a society gone terribly wrong. The accent has to be on "stereotype" because I can't believe any of these individuals are "regular people". I believe that no money is being won and the "contestants" and their "families" are just actors from Casting Central. However, the job of DOND is to convince the dumbed-down society that this is a legit game show and with the I.Q. of the viewing audience being lowered they believe that the show is legitimate. After all, if it's on T.V. it is real. Uh-huh.

Of course, staid contestants wouldn't bring in the big ratings. The over-the-top, overdone, over-everything reactions and stylings of the "contestants" are the reason the populace loves this show. In today's anything-goes-before-Armageddon T.V. this is what brings in the bacon. No successful show has staid qualities.

Sadly, all I can do is simply shake my head. I'm probably the only person who pities Howie Mandel. He deserves better than this. I think doing comedy in Las Vegas and being the spokesman for Boston Pizza in Canada was better than this. Oh well...
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nifty idea well done
CC Hunt27 February 2006
Who would have thought that a new premise for a game show was waiting around? "Deal or No Deal" (2005) borrows heavily on the style originated by "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" (1999), but the game play is unique and fun to watch.

As good as it is, host Howie Mandel makes the show much better. He easily ranks as high as any of the best hosts of shows past in skill and is easily on par with Gene Rayburn, Bob Eubanks, and Richard Dawson for genuine personality. He would be a joy to watch even if the show itself was of lesser quality.

The show is well worth watching but I fear that the viewing public will tire of it quickly. Likely the pace is not frenetic enough for many and those seeking a mental challenge will feel forgotten.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Train Wreck of Human Nature - I Can't Stop Watching
TheVillageRogue2 March 2006
When I first read the little synopsis on this show in TV Guide, I couldn't believe how far Howie Mandell had continued to sink. First those horrible Boston Pizza commercials and now a crappy NBC game show involving no talent whatsoever, outside of the ability to calculate odds (which, oddly enough, nobody on the show seems to be able to do).

And yet, when I turned in by chance a few nights ago, I couldn't turn it off. Never before have I seen anything which disgusts me more, and I keep tuning in. Why? Because there is nothing more interesting than watching people turn away guaranteed cash in favour of those pie-in-the-sky numbers glittering on the board.

I've seen a doctor, admittedly up to his eyeballs in loans turn down $140 thousand because he had a small chance at the $1 million left.

I've seen some woman turn down 3 years wages to end up with $5.

I watch each and every night, hoping and praying that contestants' greed turns against them and they pick "the case" which unravels any chances of a six-figure outcome.

And finally, back to Mr. Mandell. Howie, I have to say, I love you more than ever. While originally I felt that he deserved a nice swift kick to the nuts every time he cut to commercials, there's nothing quite like seeing there grief stricken faces when he tells them they need to wait until the break is finished.

I give it 0 stars out of 4, and will be tuning in tomorrow again at 8:00.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Game show host, comedian, former cartoon actor.
picrob200022 May 2006
To tell the truth, I never thought the former "Bobby" (host Howie Mandell) would become a game show host, but many other actors such as Louie Anderson and Richard Karn (Family Feud) and Donny Osmond (Pyramid) have done this and made success out of it, and Mandell, in my opinion, was a good choice as host, despite the many ways he can ask that one question every viewer can think of an answer to, "Deal or No Deal?" Out of all the prime time game shows, I predict this will not become a syndicated daytime game show like others such as "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire," which changed hosts while it became syndicated, but Regis Philbin has hosted a few specials after the change, otherwise, Meredith Viera from "The View" as the host. The only person I don't like on the show is the banker because I think he can give better offers to contestants than what was shown on episodes. For example, the banker may offer around $100,000 when the contestant has his own case and four other cases, including the $1 million case and a couple of other top amounts are still on the board in play, NO DEAL. Overall, great show, even though the banker needs to get real.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What makes a good game show?
leeland_h28 March 2011
What makes a good game show? A good game show is one that the viewer can play at home while watching it on T.V. You can answer Jeopardy questions or you can solve puzzles on Wheel Of Fortune; however - you, as a viewer, really can't do much of anything on this show.

The ONLY exciting thing about this show is the fact that there is big money involved. This is great for the contestant, but the viewer can only live vicariously through the winner.

Seriously, this is only fun to watch when the person loses (or wins) all the money - mostly loses though. It seems that later episodes, the producers put contestants on that had a good sob story (not to diminish them).

I think the reason this game show became such a hit was that they put a pretty good improv comedian (see his early works) as the host and that the games rules are ultra simple - answer only one question (Deal or No Deal).

I can only give this show a rating of 3 because it is the same ole' episode every single time. I can even guess with pretty good accuracy what the banker will offer.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Suspenseful Game Show
Troy Goodwin20 December 2005
I think we got ourselves a big hit! Here is the scenario: 26 models-Each one is carrying a briefcase that has amounts of money-From $1 Million Dollars to a single penny. They are some risks each contestant has to face by picking one briefcase at a time, and after that, The Man upstairs give Howie a phone call, then after that Howie ask him/her a simple question: Deal... or No Deal? Somehow, these players will eventually become greedy pigs as the game progresses when each player calls out a briefcase number, it reveals an amount of money, then the amount goes off the board. It plays out just like The American Idol Result Show: Trying to find out what are the results. But when they reveal-They'll go to a break first. I think this also plays out like "Who wants to be a Millionaire"-but there are no hard questions before you win the money. I think this show will be on for a long time after one week.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's Make a Deal without the silly costumes
lordjm-120 December 2005
I don't know why all the hype around this show, which is not much more than an updated version of Monty Hall's "Let's Make a Deal," except there aren't the silly costumes or the three doors. Instead of dressing up, the contestants show just how greedy they can be on national television, with money hungry family members sitting nearby to egg them on. The show's main features are both silly and sexist. The unknown "banker" who phones in offers... silly. The 24 models who open the briefcases... what's the point? They make a point at the show's outset that neither the host, the producers or the briefcase models know what is in each case, yet the models mug and simper and try to pretend they know, or somehow have some influence over what in in their case. And why just female models? Why not an equal mix of men and women? Rampant sexism. Quite boring after the first 15 minutes.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd rather watch paint dry
Fusetr1 April 2006
This is, without doubt, the most boring show I've ever seen.

I admit, I've only watched it once, but once was enough to convince me there is a major void in talented game show producers.

The only way I'd watch again is if it was on late/late night and I was having trouble sleeping.

It might be less boring than counting sheep (I suppose).

And that Howie person? Oh please.

zzzzz

(and seriously, all those models...where did they get those things, Stepford Modeling Agency?)
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Game Show Ever
fee_slice27 February 2006
There have been some boring, mindless game shows in the past, but this takes the cake. It's pure luck, zero skill required, and basically relies on the spokes models to carry the action.

This show is pathetic. The only kind of person who would actually like this show would be someone with no intellect, curiosity or sense of adventure. I guess that's why it's so popular in a country that re-elected George W. Bush.

Do yourself a favor, and watch ANYTHING other than this steaming pile of turd. I felt myself getting dumber with each passing second of the one episode I could bring myself to watch.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
enrichus7 October 2006
I'm not very patient. Waiting for Howie to reveal what's in the cases is infuriating with his after the commercial delay after his deadpan, dumb expression delay. All the drama surrounding the contestant's "deal or no deal" and their helper's standing nearby to help is childish. Howie's germ fetish is ridiculous. If he is that afraid of touching hands why is he on the show. Howie is not as funny as a host than when he is doing stand-up comedy with his "glove" on his head. Maybe he needs to put the gloves on his hands. Get the show moving!!! I'm afraid that the show would be only fifteen minutes long if that happened. I don't watch the show anymore even if there is nothing else on the "tube". Then, TV is off. Sorry, Howie, I hope you didn't quit your day job!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumbest Game Show Ever
echuether27 February 2006
How can anyone watch this drivel. There is no point to it. At least games like the Weakest Link and others take some skill. This game just goes to show how mindless TV is getting. This game requires absolutely ZERO skill. Seeing Howie Mandel sinking down to this form of self promotion is sad. The only thing appealing about this show is the models and I guess that is the point. The networks must think that all men only watch television to see pretty women and hope for a wardrobe malfunction. What do they think of women then, that good old Howie will make their knees quiver. The reason games like Millionaire were so popular is people like being intellectually challenged. I do not believe for a second the claims NBC are making about this show. They are a struggling network with absolutely nothing to offer viewers anymore. A sad era for the network that brought us Cheers, Seinfeld, Fraser and Friends
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
greatest american game of all time
treykrumel10 August 2018
26 lovely ladies 26 lovely cases 26 amounts all for a 1 Million dollars very exciting and full of new surprises it not about trivia but the odds all am saying is this is a great peek of a show.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindless Entertainment
DKosty12311 September 2011
This might be the least challenging game show ever devised. I mean, all you have to know is how to pick a suitcase and have it opened. There are some factors that make it work.

Howie Mandell is the perfect host for this. He brings humor and personality to the table. He can over state the obvious and sell water to an Arab without being annoying (just imagine Gilbert Godfried trying to host this show).

Then, the show sells the models (sex) in that in a lot of them, 24 great looking women all wearing the same gown march out with suitcases to open on stage. There are more women wearing the same dress here than in most non-celebrity weddings.

Finally, there is the banker. Sitting in the dark glass room throwing out offers after each set of bags is opened. He or she calls on the phone and makes calculated offers to either tempt or create a boo from the audience. They are the wild card to the show. We don't need to know who the Banker is though we do on some shows. What is important is this evil persona thrown in to put us all on our guard for the next financial crisis.

Still, the package holds up enough along with the contestants friends and relatives to create entertainment. There is no violence here, and the innuendo is usually pretty harmless. Mandell is always topless and the models are always ready for the next ceremony. Sometimes they even cut the pay scale by using Contestants with the bags instead of models.

Strange how this works, but it does pretty well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So do you think this is fair or not?
whitesel199528 March 2006
Iam writing to complain about deal or no deal the only way you can become a contestant is if you live in the designated area and you are smart and what ever else what about people like myself who don't live in that area and are not the smartest person on the block and who is profoundly poor? i mean why not give any one a chance to change there luck or there lives for the better? doesn't that sound a little more fair? people like myself have struggled for years to make ends meet and a sweet chance like being on deal or no deal comes along but wait only for people who live in the area not right at all so i guess the real answer here is NO DEAL other game shows even let you try out if your in the area or just visiting heck for a shot like that wed find a way there but i guess there's no chance for that so why even bother watching the program and only be able to dream? MGW
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falsehoods,Oh,the falsehoods.
S.R. Dipaling15 February 2008
First off,I don't want to sound like some buzz-kill here in regards to this show,or sound like I'm taking this show too seriously. Basically,when and if I watch this,besides the possibility that there's not much else on,I watch this primarily because I'm a student of human nature,and I do find it interesting what--when it comes to money--is any given individual's "breaking point" is. Sometimes I put myself in the place of the contestant,where I would or wouldn't deal. Sometimes I put myself in the role of Howie(and he does a very good job as the host,one part friend,one part Devil's advocate,lighter on the advocate). I even occasionally put myself in the role of one of the Oh-so-Gorgeous models(don't ask)! Much of the time,though,I'm usually just watching to guess what the Banker would do,figuring how much he would offer according to which cases have been opened.

The falsehoods I'm referring to--and thusly,why I feel like this show is equally,if not more so,head-banging and frustrating in nature--are some very important little notions and precipices that this show so famously stands atop. I've narrowed down the offenders to three biggies:

1. Each contestant is playing for a Million Dollars. While in principle,this is a correct assertion,more realistically and literally,the contestants are more playing to see how much they can make off the BAnker's offers. At it's heart,this show is adversarial,and few contestants leave with what's in the case they select(and usually,when they do,it's WAY less than they wanted).

2. That the case boards are easy to read. For example,just because someone eliminates a fair cluster of small amounts,particularly early,means that the board IS a player's board. By contrast,just because a number of large amounts are off the board at the start,DOESN'T mean the board cannot be favorable. In other words,in a game of probabilities,just because the high odds might favor the player ISN'T in and of itself a good tell of whether or not a player should deal.

3. After the deal has been made(and often it is),the host will ask the contestant what he or she would've taken if they'd gone on. Ponder that for just a second. Unless the contestant in question had a map plan of which cases they would've taken and when,this is a HUGELY false device,meant to instill a sort of "What if...?" twist to the end-game that is neither truthful or necessary.

There are more minor examples of these:magical thinking devices that are to somehow fool the contestant(And by proxy,the audience)into thinking that this is(or is supposed to be)ruled by something other than happenstance or luck;the assumption that the contestants are all somehow "average" people,when it seems like there is a definite type of people who are selected(usually,that connotes a person who possesses a lot of enthusiasm,good luck charms,loud, resolute family members and friends and stays pretty light on such meaningless stuff as intelligence,particularly in math,pretty SUB-average IMHO). I guess what I'm trying to say,in sum,is that this show is a perfectly okay wasting of an hour's TV time,but you might want to keep in mind that this is as much(if not more so)sideshow and theatrics as it is any sort of chance for people to get rich. Do that,and the viewing of DoND will go down a lot easier,particularly if you are not their type of contestant material.
The At-Home Contest
wonka1873 April 2006
Another user above posted: "Just as an FYI, the $10,000 text message contest they advertise just before each commercial break costs each sucker (er … home contestant) $0.49. This means NBC pays for the prize after only 20,408 entries, which I'm sure they get within the first couple seconds. Hmm...maybe they should have fewer commercials since they are making so much money off the home contestants! Just a thought." Well, now they are offering $20,000 - but they are charging $0.99 per entry. So now they only need 20,202 at-home entries to pay for the entire prize.

I hate the show when they get down to the point of opening one case at a time though. It's like, 1 case - then another commercial. One episode I saw had the contestant open 1 case, then they went to a commercial before getting the banker's offer. When they came back they got the banker offer - then talked to the friends - then went on ANOTHER commercial break before even opening another case. Too many commercials, it drives me nuts. If I TiVo the show, so I can skip the commercials, I always find myself deleting the show before I watch it. I just can't bring myself to take the time to watch a game show in my free time.
Deal or No deal in England
josiebeck99 March 2006
I have seen an American version of deal or no deal and personally don't really like it. One of these reasons is because of the prize funds. $0.01 - $1 Million is a bit over the top if you ask me. I found it quite boring because offers were generally the same throughput the game with a few ups or downs.

The UK Version however, is less over the top. it has a lovely studio with 22 contestants, 22 identical sealed (Red) boxes and 22 cash amounts ranging from 1 Pence to 250,000 Pounds. The host Noel Edmonds can become quite annoying at times, but the general atmosphere is good. The show consists of 22 contestants. these people choose what box they want . Each day, one of the contestants are picked, they take there box and put it in front of them.(at the front of the studio). in the opening round they pick 5 boxes, and then there is a call from the banker. After that there are 3 boxes in each round. The highest amount won on the show was 120,00 Pounds. Every offer is within a different range of figures. thats what makes it so interesting. The cash amounts 1P - £750 are shaded blue. The amounts £1000-£250,000 are shaded red.