Silence (2016) Poster

(I) (2016)

Silence Of The Lambs
lucaajmone-it9 May 2017
Agnus Dei that is, Lambs of God. What an extraordinary film.Martin Scorsese confirms his seriousness of intent and his enormous respect for his audience.He rates us so highly that he confides in us, telling us something that clearly comes straight out of his heart. Dry, severe, an intellectual's sensibility that becomes clear and accessible to all as we realize that Scorsese is not trying to sell us something but just to tell us, to share with us something that obsesses him. I was enthralled and moved throughout. The performances in a Scorsese film are always superb but in Silence, Andrews Garfield goes a step beyond superb. He managed to make his priest someone I knew personally even if his reality is far, far away from us in time and space. A masterpiece.
124 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Piercing Silence
willandthomas-picturehou7 January 2017
The experience is extraordinary from different reasons. Martin Scorsese with a legendary career behind him breaks new ground with the fierce and renewed passion. A film made for the love of film not for box office expectations. A work of love from beginning to end. Then, Andrew Garfield. What a year for this young spectacular actor. The kindness in his eyes made the journey so personal for me. I must say that I've been very lucky because I've been lead by my mentor (another Martin by the way)into the world of Scorsese. I found Scorsese's films brilliant yes, but too dark, too violent and hopeless and my mentor said, "No, don't stay in the periphery, go in. You'll see Martin Scorsese's films are religious experiences" Well I got in, I saw, I felt, I understood and as a consequence I wept for most of Silence. Thank you Marty and Martin from the bottom of my heart.
255 out of 401 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scorsese in Bergman/Dreyer mode, and it's amazing
MisterWhiplash8 January 2017
It's Scorsese. Martin Scorsese. He makes the best films. Is this one of his best? Hmm....

It's a personal/religious epic, but it's all about the interior self - an intimate epic, which is always the toughest to pull off. Silence chronicles morality in such a way that is staggering and with very few specks of light (that is, brief relief through laughter - it does come through the character Kichijiro, more on him in a moment), and it's practically an anomaly to be released by a major studio with such a budget and big stars. This is a story that comes from history you rarely ever get to see anymore - history from a country like Japan that doesn't involve samurai (at least how we see them) and dealing with Christianity vs Buddhism - and it's directed with a level of vision, I mean in the true, eye-and-heart opening sense that declares that this man still has a lot to say, maybe more than ever, in his latter years.

Silence is, now pondering it hours after seeing it, possibly the best "faith-based" film ever made (or at least since Last Temptation of Christ); in its unintentional way, a great antidote to those pieces of garbage like God's Not Dead and War Room which preach only to a select few and insult the intelligence of everyone else. In this story of Jesuit priests who go on a journey to find a priest who may be long gone but could be found and brought home, it's meant for adults who can and should make up their own minds on religion and God, and the persecution part of it isn't some ploy from the filmmakers for fraudulent attention. This is about exploring what it means if you have faith, or how to question others who do, and what happens when people clash based on how people see the sun. Literally, I'm serious.

It's also heavier than most other films by this director, which is good but also tough to take on a first viewing. And yet it feels always like a Scorsese film, not only due to the rigorous craft on display (I could feel the storyboards simmering off on to the screen, I mean that as a compliment, this is staggeringly shot by Rodrigo Prieto, I'm glad Scorsese's found another guy), or the performances from the main actors (Garfield is easily giving his all, and not in any cheesy way, Driver's solid, Neeson seems to be paying some sort of penance for some mediocre action fare), but because of a key character: Kichijiro.

He's someone who really fits in to the Scorsese canon of characters who are so tough to take - he makes things difficult for Rodrigues, to say the least, and yet keeps coming back like some sad pathetic dog who can't make up his mind - but, ultimately, the toughest thing of all for this Father, as it must be for this filmmaker, is 'I know he is weak and irrational and probably bad in some way... but he must be loved as all of other God's children.' So as far as unsung performances for 2016 go, Yôsuke Kubozuka follows in a tradition set out by none other than De Niro (think of him in Mean Streets and Raging Bull, it's like that only not quite so angry).

I may need another viewing to fully grasp it. But for now, yes, see it, of course. For all its length and vigorous explorations and depictions of suffering (occasionally highly graphic), not to mention the, for Scorsese, highly unusual approach of a lack of traditional (or any) music or score, it's unlike anything you'll see in cinema this year, maybe the decade, for pairing the struggle of a man to reconcile his God and his responsibility to others in a repressive regime with the visual splendor of something from another time - maybe Kurosawa if he'd had a collaboration with Bergman. And yet for all of this high praise, there's also a feeling of being exhausted by the end of it. Whether that exhaustion extends to other viewings I'm not sure yet. As a life-long "fan" of this director, I was impressed if not blown away.
146 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will take some time to process
artmania9016 January 2017
There's a reasonable argument to say that SILENCE is one of Martin Scorsese's better movies. The talk is that it was a passion project of his for decades, finally being released in all it's artistic endeavors and mysteries. I suppose someone else could argue the opposite: that this is a story full of brutality and despair without the signature style of the aged director. I think I'm falling right on the middle on this one. This is surely one of the year's most powerful stories, and yet I have to admit it left me cold.

The story follows two priests from Portugal (Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver) who venture into hostile Japanese country in search of their mentor, Father Ferreira (Liam Neeson), who has abandoned his Christian faith. Some chalk it up to mere rumors. These two young ministers take the journey to find out for themselves.

What begins as a fairly traditional story ventures into the heart of Japan in the 16th Century with a sharp attention to both detail and horror. This is less a story of a search for one man as it is an odyssey into the despair found in conflicting religious beliefs. Father Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield) holds hope that Ferreira is alive while also working to convert as many locals under cover of darkness. Upon landing on the shores of Japan (smuggled in on small fishing boats from China), he encounters villages of faithful Christians who worship in secret. For them, the arrival of Rodrigues and Father Garupe (Driver) is confirmation of their beliefs. Through language barriers, it seems that God is always present.

As we delve further into the country towards Nagasaki (where Ferreira is said to be held), the two priest break off on separate journeys. Rodrigues, though oftentimes alone, is shadowed by a Japanese recluse named Kichijiro, a drunk who once betrayed his faith in order to spare his life (he witnessed the execution of his entire family) but returns to the faith time again in order to make Confession and amends with the Lord. Rodrigues continues to absolve him, and yet this is the slow unraveling of an aspect of this story: do the Japanese really comprehend the religion in the same way Westerners do?

There are three people who make this movie better than average: Andrew Garfield surely gives one of the year's best performances as a man trapped in his own personal Hell, forced to grapple between martyrdom and eternal damnation. It's a strong year for Garfield, getting accolades and Oscar buzz for his other leading role in 'Hacksaw Ridge.' Trust me, this is the better performance. Second is the skill of Martin Scorsese, who slowly paints a portrait of a time long forgot with such attention to tone. It's a horrifying and at times morbid story to sit through, but there was never a moment I found myself any less than fully-focused and contemplative.

Third is a surprise, a breakthrough performance by a Japanese actor named Issey Ogata who gives without a doubt one of the year's most memorable performances. Throughout the film the Christians living in Japan are routinely inspected by samurai officials who intend to hunt down and capture any found citizens in violation of the law. One such official is Inoue Masashige (Ogata) who treats the job with a certain flair. Constantly waving a fan and with an ear to ear smile, this is a performance that steps above the rest of the cast by perfectly encapsulating the braggadocious nature of Japanese law without missing a beat. It's a winking devil performance that I hope the Oscars won't look over.

'Silence' is at times hard to palpate and yet rewards the audience for it's patience. Whether or not this film can be interpreted as being pro or anti-Catholic is maybe not the ultimate message of this film. While the final act delves into a horrifyingly-dark arena, consider the final shot before the credits begin to role (I won't spoil it). In such a brutal era with antiquated customs, isn't there still hope left to be found?
64 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
stunned into silence
philip_franklin200011 January 2017
20 years in the making (apparently) and yet the most stark silence was that of the audience after the movie who clearly and with understandable deference to the Scorsese canon, were unwilling to immediately call this movie out for the self-indulgent disaster it actually is and could find few words to compensate for the searing boredom most had undoubtedly endured. Perhaps it's art masquerading as entertainment but, for me, it fails as either. The story was sparse, the characters undeveloped, the cinematography sometimes lush and promising and often the best thing about the movie. The message? There was little here that gave me anything to chew on. Faith is a tough gig at any time but particularly on a clandestine crusade in 17th century Japan? Sure. When life is almost unbearably awful the promise of paradise in the afterlife is alluring? Uh-huh. Belief is riddled with ambiguity, uncertainty, fear and doubt. Yep, I get it. If we were meant to sympathise or even empathise with a mission to convert the peasant classes in isolated and xenophobic Japan then I failed, badly. When God spoke in the silence I got confused, more worryingly so did the Jesuit priest. What was the question Scorsese was struggling so obviously to answer? I don't know but as Bukowski once said "for those who believe in God most of the big questions are answered" and for those who don't? Well they have an opportunity to be their own God.
192 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterful In Craft & Rich In Experience, But Dreary In Nature
CalRhys5 January 2017
To this day, Martin Scorsese remains my all-time favourite director, a man whose approach to cinema completely differs to others in Hollywood, his appreciation towards cinema as an art form is his finest quality in what makes him arguably the greatest film director around. With 'Silence' promoted as Scorsese's 20-year passion project, it was a film I couldn't resist seeing, the legend back behind the camera focusing on a subject not fully studied in cinema, a subject that's mostly misunderstood.

I want to start with my conclusion and go from there. 'Silence' won't be everybody's film, the same way other ambitious films like 'The Revenant' or 'The Tree of Life' weren't, however despite my respect to Scorsese's mastery and level of detail, in my own honest opinion I believe this film fell short due to the lack of insight into it's main theme and thus instead transformed into a slow and somewhat dreary tale that arguably didn't need it's near 3-hour running time to tell its tale.

Now don't get me wrong, in regards to the film's craft it is a masterpiece, the cinematography is raw and epic, the direction from Scorsese is phenomenal and the set design is gorgeous. Accompanying this are a series of fine performances, most notably from Andrew Garfield who should receive monumental praise for his role, I haven't seen such a visceral performance in years, the raw emotion is uncanny. But unfortunately the technicalities and craft can't cover up the flaws that lie in the running time and the tediously slow plot that didn't want to end.

If there's anything I can leave you with from this review to help you decide as to whether it's a worthy watch or not, let me just say this: 'Silence' isn't a piece of entertainment, it's instead an experience; and whilst a technically masterful one at that, many audience members may find themselves slowly drifting off to sleep - as my neighbour in the cinema did. It isn't really a case of liking it or disliking it, it's more a case of the adventure, and despite my partial disappointment with it, the adventure was more than worthy enough for the viewing. Scorsese is still an exquisite auteur, flaws or not.
71 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shines a light on the inadequacy of both secular materialism and fundamentalist religion
howard.schumann15 January 2017
Christianity came to Western Japan in 1542 by way of Jesuit missionaries from Portugal who brought gunpowder and religion. They were welcomed mostly for the weapons they brought and their religion was allowed to be practiced openly. Christianity was banned, however, after reports circulated of missionary intolerance towards the Shinto and Buddhist religions, and there were rumors of the sale of Japanese into overseas slavery. It wasn't until the late 1630s, however, that a complete ban on Christianity was declared and enforced by the Tokugawa Shogunate and persecutions, torture, and murders were relentlessly pursued.

Based on Shusaku Endo Edo's 1966 historical novel culled from the oral histories of Japanese Catholics, Martin Scorsese's masterful film Silence brings us face to face with the repression faced by the early missionaries. While the film does not condone the subjugation of religious minorities, it examines the advisability of attempting to convert a country's population without a deep understanding of their beliefs and traditions. The film opens in 1635 as two Jesuit priests, Sebastian Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield, "Hacksaw Ridge") and Francesco Garrpe (Adam Driver, "Paterson"), request permission from their superior Father Valignano (Ciaran Hinds, "Bleed for This") to go to Japan to discover the fate of their mentor, Father Cistavio Ferreira (Liam Neeson, "A Monster Calls"), rumored to have renounced his faith and to be living with a Japanese wife.

The missionaries are not unaware of the persecution and murder of thousands of peasants and priests who have converted to Christianity, yet they are anxious to undertake their dangerous mission to support the local Christians and to find out the truth about Father Ferreira. When they arrive in Japan they are greeted by a group of "hidden Christians" known as "kakure kirishitan" who have been compelled to publicly renounce their faith and go into hiding to practice their faith in secret, knowing that anyone can earn 100 pieces of silver for turning in a Christian to the authorities and 300 pieces for surrendering a priest. Here, the two priests hear confessions and give baptisms and say mass in the middle of the night In order to avoid capture.

Working with such past collaborators as Editor Thelma Schoonmaker ("Learning to Drive"), Production Designer Dante Ferretti ("Cinderella"), and Cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto ("The Wolf of Wall Street"), Scorsese does not hold back in showing the graphic nature of the torture that those who are arrested must endure. This includes beheadings, being wrapped in straw and burned alive or thrown into the sea. Some are mounted on a cross and placed in the sea until death comes mercifully after repeated pounding of the waves against them. For some, to die a martyr is a high calling, one which will be rewarded in the afterlife and they accept their fate willingly similar to today's Islamic suicide bombers.

Rodrigues, however, now separated from Garrpe, takes on a Christ-like appearance and begins to see himself as the personification of Jesus. He now must choose between rigidly maintaining his religious beliefs or saving the lives of innocent villagers by surrendering to the audacious Inquisitor (Issey Ogata) by placing his foot on a carved Christian icon known as a fumie, an act tantamount to renouncing his faith. In doing so, Rodrigues thinks about Kichijiro (Yôsuke Kubozuka, "Deadman Inferno"), a convert who continually begs for the Sacrament of Penance after he apostasizes again and again. The issues are further crystallized when Rodrigues confronts the truth about Father Ferreira.

While Silence does not fully achieve the transcendence of a true spiritual epic, Scorsese should be acknowledged for opening up the space for a meaningful inquiry into a subject that has perplexed countless philosophers and students of religions for centuries. Perhaps inadvertently, the film, however, does shine a light on the inadequacy of both secular materialism and fundamentalist religion to satisfy our true spiritual needs and answer the overriding question of the film. This must be answered by each person through their own direct experience. For me, to know God is to embrace the silence, to live in it, and know that it is the "source of all sound."
105 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Can't Believe
aharmas24 December 2016
"Silence" is en experience, a trip into the hell some "padres" went through during their attempt to spread the Christian faith in Japan during the 1600's. The film tries to give us a peek into the treatment of the priests once the locals decided to institute a policy that found the practice of forbidden doctrines illegal and punishable. When the movie opens, we go straight to the depiction of some of the ways Japanese tortured some of the Christian followers.

Next, plans are approved to start searching for one missing priest. It's the duty of two young priests to locate him, save him, maybe even do a little Christian work to save and enlighten a few souls. This is where the problem begins: There's something sloppy about the way the quest is introduced, and we have three characters who don't seem to even believe whatever comes of their mouths. One looks doubtful, the other is eager but his his eyes don't project any fire, and one seems to have wandered from another period, setting, and faith, maybe even another picture. He looks militant, irascible, doubtful this will have a positive ending. It seems as if he knows this is all futile--their enterprise and maybe the whole act of watching this film.

When the two young men arrive in Japan, our own torture begins, as we listen to dialog that is both incomprehensible and stilted. Never we get into believing that these people have any commitment to anyone but themselves. I'm not sure if it is the acting, the directing, the endless scenes that appear to go in circles, never revealing or truly pulling all the different layers of a complex theme. The setting is dark, grungy, inhospitable, and very foreign. It is never clear why they decide to start their journey in the middle of the winter, or what appears to be the very foggy season in this island. It becomes annoying.

Bring on the never ending series of psychological, physical, and amazingly, very little exploration of theological questions. In "The Last Temptation of Christ" one is willing to overlook some strange casting choices because the central figure is powerful, and well played by DeFoe, giving us a new perspective of what one of the most famous people in history must have gone through. Here, Rodriguez looks lost, both within the story, and Garfield is never anything but a selfish, whiny, and sick looking man of the cloth. I couldn't help thinking about the other long suffering fictional character of the year, Lee in "Manchester by the Sea". At least, we had a solid portrayal of pain, guilt, and impotence. "Silence" doesn't even give you a hint of any of those emotions.

In addition, the length of the film is unbearable. Much doesn't happen for minutes. We have shots of the surroundings, conversations that highlight the redundancy that weakens the film. It is not as if there was nothing to discuss or explain. It felt like a jackhammer kept going and going, keeping us from engaging, from developing any sort of rhythm and connection to the material. The depiction of the torture and persecution never stopped, getting to the point that the ordeal of the troops captured by the Japanese in a recent World War II film appeared more like a prank by a bully. The torture scenes are not something to avoid because they're too graphic; however it feels like the ones being tortured are the members of the audience because we either have to suffer through the weak dialog which goes nowhere or another way in which the bad guys show their bad qualities, and/or, the Christians keep experiencing hell.

There is a very reliable team behind the production. Sadly, there is also a pervasive realization that nothing really works. Landscapes and close ups are admirable in their clarity but drained of any emotions. The lack of musical score is jarring making the "silence" way too overbearing and boring. Costumes and sets might be accurate but feel empty because the characters are poorly presented, and I was wondering where the editor went because we could have easily removed 1/2 of the film, and we would have gotten the same amount of pertinent information. The only scenes that appeared to really work involve Liam Nesson, an actor whose presence and delivery allows us to have an idea of what really is going on. To make matters even worse, this makes every other performer look even worse.

If anyone wants to see how spirituality can be shown, with and without the explicit reference to a particular faith, through beautiful cinematography and the perfect marriage of sound and visuals, check Mallick's "The New World". For now, some real silence seems more than appropriate.
63 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was silenced after watching it
paulijcalderon1 February 2017
Wow, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't silenced after watching this film. Really interesting subject matter. I am curious about the book now. When I first heard about the film I thought it looked like a modern "Andrei Rublev" set in Japan. Well, I was wrong about that. This film is very much its own beast. These are my first impressions right after seeing it.

I didn't know much about the history of the Jesuit priests who traveled all the way to Japan. I did know that some Japanese converted to Christianity, but I didn't know there were that many. So, I was very surprised by that. It does explain a lot though. I understand more of the reasons why a civil war started in Japan that would ultimately lead to any foreigner being banned from the country. It's actually very interesting how the Japanese Christians almost feel more faithful than a lot of the European characters.

This film explores both the beauty and the horrors of humans and their faiths. There are many beautiful calm scenes where you can relax and admire the stunning sets and locations. Then there are many scenes that will make you nervous, emotional and horrified because of the cruel punishments that some people must endure.

Religion is an interesting subject matter and everyone has their own different view and opinion on it. I still haven't finished processing this film yet, but I'll tell you this; it's something that will stay on your mind for a while. It makes you think about a lot of things. Like what's right and wrong about the different views brought up in the film? And how would things have been different if everyone would have accepted each others beliefs? And even if they didn't believe in the same thing, could they all still live in peace?

It's not an action packed adventure, but more of a spiritual journey with exploration about morals, history and so much more. I thought it was wonderful, but do see it if you can and judge for yourself.
54 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High hopes but it left me cold
greg-3211719 February 2017
In brief, this movie to ENDURE, not ENJOY.

It is just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. TOO. LONG. Three hours of relentless torture, persecution, despair, poverty, brutality, murder, betrayal, and then more of the same, was just too much, and Scorsese really should have made a 60 minute documentary rather than a movie. Yes, there are moments of lightness (two, we counted), and a brief sequence of hope and purposes where one of the padres felt like he was making a difference to the bleak poverty of the lives of Japanese villagers. Other than that, this movie is one inevitable, ghastly, slow slide to apostasy. On occasions, Mr Scorsese, I want my movies to give hope, humour, courage and good things, and your movie gave none of those.

I had high hopes for this: Neeson, Garfield and Scorsese made it an attractive proposition. However, an hour into the movie and I was ready to leave. The plot was muddy and laborious, and Scorsese insisted on showing us short imagistic fragments that led nowhere.

Two last gripes. Firstly, the idea that medieval rural Japanese villagers would be able to speak English (or Portuguese as the narrative language) is ridiculous. Secondly, why oh why did Scorsese make us sit through the credits before the house lights came on? A few more minutes of tedium? Whatever you wanted, it didn't work.

It gets 2/10 for the cinematography and nothing else.

Unless you are a fan of medieval Japanese torture and murder techniques, don't both watching this. Some movies stay with you for days, weeks, months, a lifetime. This one you will want to forget asap and move quickly to something more edifying.
34 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unapologetic story of faith, conversion and martyrdom
kinolieber2 February 2017
SILENCE is beautifully filmed and strangely involving for such a grim and slow-moving tale. For a 2 hr 40 min movie, I never felt bored or felt that the story was unnecessarily stretched out. As an ex Catholic who, as a child, was intrigued by the idea of martyrdom and by tales of the saints who were killed because they refused to renounce their faith (and so, got an express ticket to heaven - a very attractive end result for one who feared hell as much as I did), I could identify in a more distanced way with the protagonists and their Catholic followers in Japan.

I expected that in telling a story set 400 years ago, Scorsese would provide some kind of modern day insight (psychological, political,sexual) to the true events depicted in his narrative. Instead, all I could glean was that this was a film by a devout Catholic, about devout Catholics. Who would have thought Scorsese was possessed by such primal and dogmatic religious feelings?

Shockingly, the Japanese culture is referred to more than once as a 'swamp' where nothing truly spiritual, much less Catholic, can grow. The inquisitor who persecutes the Catholics is portrayed by a lizardy actor with a high pitched voice, doing what I guess is the Japanese equivalent of a moustache-twirling villain. Cruelty, execution and torture take up a large part of the picture, and while accurate I suppose, is probably no worse that what was done by the Catholic inquisition in Europe.

I was hoping for some kind of statement about religious fanaticism, and at one point, when a Buddhist is trying to reason with the priest, asking why it isn't better to focus on the common elements of the world's different religions, I thought the film was going in that direction. But it ends on an 'upbeat' religious note, when it is revealed that the priest held onto his faith in the Catholic god right up to the end. The film was premiered at The Vatican which says a lot about where it's coming from. There is a dedication to the priests and converts in Japan.

I wasn't impressed by Andrew Garfield in the central role. I felt like he was miscast, so it's mostly not his fault - too young and modern (and who kept his hair so coiffed in the first half of the movie?). Adam Driver was excellent as always, but not sure why he felt he needed to lose all that weight for the role, he was really skinny and sunken-eyed. Liam Neeson, also miscast with his very tall stature and hard-to- disguise Irishness was good in a thankless role. The Japanese actors (except for the inquisitor) were fine, but most of their characters were never really developed into anything more than simple-minded worshippers or cruel torturers.
30 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts in 1500s and NEVER ENDS
lrb-366083 January 2017
This is among the worst films I have ever seen. Even among those, I can recognize good film making...this is NOT good film making or good basic storytelling. Repetitive, dragged out foreshadowing so that the only people who seemingly don't know what is going to happen next are the people in the film, and plot and character inconsistencies that you could drive a whole religion through.

And it is LONG. 45 minutes would have easily captured this story and done so with more suspense (less dragging foreshadowing) and more horror. By the time each act of torture happens, everyone but the stupidest priest who ever lived knows exactly what is going to happen and it loses its effect. Speed this up, and it might be compelling. Right now, it is like a third grade story...and then...and then...and then...and then...we have to see every moment in time of the whole freaking story.

If this film had any other director, it would never ever ever see the light of day in a theatre. And awards? Really shameful pandering, a mockery of great film making and a great director, who went off the rails with this.
129 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark,dreary,boring,slow,did i say dreary?
peter-140422 March 2017
I started watching this move having been intrigued by the story and spent a long time trying to cope with the boredom. And the fact that I'd seen interviews, read interviews with Mr Scorcese talking about the fact that he spent 20 (!) years in the making of this movie. Well, Mr Scorcese... As boring as it eventually was, maybe you shouldn't have made it. I've seen better movies by your ideas and direction but gosh this is just beyond boring. And the fact that you had rave reviews over this movie makes me wonder... Are the reviews great because you Scorcese or what? In my mind, I'd hoped you spent 20 years with something fantastic instead of 2 catholic priests going to Japan to find another ex-catholic priest. That idea, had I even thought of it, would have taken anyone 5 minutes.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was the point of it all?
mpuleston26 March 2017
I left half-way through. I didn't storm out, but after 1.25 hours I'd had enough. What I saw was well-done, but I kept asking myself "What was the point of all this?" The film was hugely supportive of missionising, but was the Jesuit missionising in 17C Japan a good thing? The Japanese government had a policy of keeping out all foreigners, including missionaries, but they had good reasons for doing this. As had been seen in the Americas, and was being seen in China, missionaries came hand-in-hand with commercial interests, backed up by the military. It usually didn't end well for the local people, who were usually colonised and often enslaved.

Yes, the methods used by the Japanese government were cruel, but were no crueller than what Christians were doing to each other at the time. The Thirty Years War between Catholics and Protestants was an ongoing bloodbath.

The missionaries were excellent marketers, skilled in the double-whammy approach - first sell 'em Sin, then sell 'em Salvation, the missionaries being the indispensable middle-men. So thousands of Japanese died because they swallowed the missionaries' self-serving mumbo-jumbo.

I had hoped that the film would be more nuanced, exploring the rights and wrongs of missionising. Instead Scorcese chooses to do a propaganda piece - glorifying brave, noble missionaries against the cruel Japanese government.

Not a great film.
72 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but Too Long and Tiresome Film
claudio_carvalho12 March 2017
In the Seventeenth Century, in Portugal, the Portuguese Jesuit priests Sebastião Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield) and Francisco Garupe[ (Adam Driver) ask permission to Father Alessandro Valignano (Ciarán Hinds) to travel to Japan to investigate the rumors that their mentor Father Cristóvão Ferreira (Liam Neeson) had committed apostasy abandoning his Catholic faith after being tortured by the shogunate. They meet the alcoholic fisherman Kichijiro (Yosuke Kubozuka) that agrees to guide them to Japan. When they arrive at a small village, they learn that the Christians residents live hidden in caves since the Inquisitor kills any villager suspect to be Christian. Along the days, Rodrigues and Garupel propagate Catholicism among the villagers and try to find a lead to Ferreira. But when the Inquisitor arrives in the village with his men, the live of the residents and the priests will change.

"Silence" is a film directed by Martin Scorcese that shows how cruel a man can be. Based on historical facts, "Silence" show the powerful Shogunate defending their religion and culture against the European Catholicism that promises easy paradise to the suffered Japanese workers that has to work lot to pay the taxes and survive. The result is a good, but too long and tiresome film. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Silêncio" ("Silence")
51 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The latest temptation of Martin Scorsese
Ramascreen23 December 2016
With regards to Martin Scorsese's SILENCE, let me just put it this way, I saw Scorsese's 1988's "The Last Temptation Of Christ," back when I was in college, as you know that film was also an adaptation, and I thought it was pure masterpiece just in terms of its themes because whether or not you'd want to argue that perhaps that some of the approach may have been sacrilegious or religiously inconsiderate, if you will, to me it was about wondering the what if's and whether or not doubt has any footing in order for faith to grow. To a certain extent, SILENCE conveys something similar.

Based on Shusaku Endo's novel, SILENCE is about two Jesuit missionaries who travel to Japan because they have heard that their mentor, Father Ferreira (Liam Neeson) has publicly denounced God. At the time, Christianity was outlawed in Japan, so in their search for their missing mentor, they endure torture, suffering, and the ultimate test of faith.

In a way you could say that SILENCE is Martin Scorsese's way of paying respect to the legendary filmmaker Akira Kurosawa especially for us fans who grew up watching old time Japan's samurai classics, although SILENCE is not action-driven obviously, but the authoritarian rule depicted in this film is definitely something that's culturally based on that particular era.

From technical standpoint, SILENCE is as rich and complex as the story itself, even the violence is done in a graphic yet artistic manner. Because the story is told through Andrew Garfield's Father Rodrigues' perspective, you'll find some of the shots from inside his prison cell, looking out, with the frame being in between the wooden bars, to be quite engrossing. It makes the tension all the more real because your mind just keeps racing, you don't know how much more gruesome it would get. Odd to say this but it sort of becomes a point of anticipation, it's as if every other half-hour or so, you know some Christians are going to get tortured and so you're just bracing for impact. Martin Scorsese's ever-so-reliable high standard quality filmmaking is present through and through, so there's no disappointing you there.

After being religious and full of conviction in "Hacksaw Ridge" as a Seventh-Day Adventist, actor Andrew Garfield becomes religious and full of conviction again, this time in "Silence" and what's interesting is that both films feature Japanese people. All that aside, this is yet another evidence of Garfield's commitment to his work, the same goes for Adam Driver and Liam Neeson who not only went through physical changes, you actually feel a bit concerned for their health, but that conviction is shown in their eyes. It's amazing to see how this former Spider-Man quickly this powerful force. The Japanese actors are equally outstanding, especially Issey Ogata whose performance has his own flamboyant way of being ruthless.

This is Scorsese's long passion project, he had been wanting to do this film for years, but the question remains, and those of you who've watched the film are probably wondering it as well. And my answer is no, I don't think SILENCE means to demonize Buddhism. If this film is Scorsese's way of promoting Christianity, then that is his prerogative. But throughout mankind's history, there had been many cases in many lands where the majority religion, whatever religion that maybe, persecutes the minority religion because they view them as a dangerous threat; a symbol of a potential takeover. Inquisitions have happened everywhere. Which leads me back to what I said earlier about how SILENCE reminds me a lot of "The Last Temptation Of Christ," we see men who are supposed to be like rocks, seemingly falter and start to question their faith, but perhaps questioning your faith is one way of reaffirming it. Liam Neeson's character in this film has a counter argument to Andrew Garfield's Rodrigues and he may make a bit of sense if you see it from his version of truth.

-- Rama's Screen --
79 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misguided, Incomplete portrait of Feudal Japan
johnptomai30 March 2017
I was expecting an Epic on the level of "Shogun" and got a lecture on the rejection of Christianity in feudal Japan which was shallow and unexplained . The subject matter of Japan in the 1600's as Japan is introduced to Western Culture and Christianity is ripe for an in depth and detailed portrait of the clash between Bushido and Western thought, and is well documented- elsewhere. I was expecting a more detailed study of the resistance to Christianity by Japanese culture of the time to preserve the order of Bushido. Nowhere in the film are the traditional concepts of Bushido and Budhism represented in the film, except for implicitly.

The movie seemed to force the viewer to the conclusion that Christianity was the best thing for Japan without explaining how Christianity was in-congruent with Japanese Culture and Social Structure of the time. I began to wonder, are the beliefs implied by this movie born out empirically? A quick survey of Modern Japan today says no. Despite all the strife of the Christian Missionaries in "Silence", a mere 1% of Japanese are Christian today. Apparently the writers overlooked core Japanese culture in the making of this movie.

A more pertinent theme would take place in the Modern Middle East where massive numbers of Christians are being murdered in the modern world and ignored by the Media.

The case of a few Missionaries in Japan back in the 1600's is intriguing only if we study and compare the influences of Bushido and Christianity to the Social/Political normalities of the time.

The 1980's Mini Series Shogun delivered this and far more drama than you'll ever find in "Silence".
41 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely disappointing
iamwretched8 January 2017
I was attracted to this film because of the director's prestige and because it was an adaptation of a well-received book. It has also received many positive reviews.

I don't know why. The film is too long (much too long), too repetitive and too superficial in its treatment of the central issue of religious faith. The acting is uninspired. None of the characters awoke my sympathy. Japanese men speaking good English to Portuguese priests was just weird. Scorcese combines all this with gruesome torture scenes and monsoon weather to reach his full numbing effect. The only redeeming feature was the music: there wasn't any.
126 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost 3 hours of hell.
TheTopDawg23 January 2017
What was Martin Scorsese thinking? Is he trying to set a record for the longest time to bore an audience?

It used to mean something when someone said "it's a Martin Scorsese film". Does this now mean it's long and boring?

How can anyone who invested 2 hrs and 41 min not say this was way to long and could have gotten the message across in a comfortable say.. 1 hour?

Such a waste of talent. No big story here, the summary accounts for the almost 3 gruelling hours of boredom with no real message, although the one I did get made this even more of a time-waster.

How can this be rated so high? Is society that bored and have that much time to waste on non-entertainment?

Save yourself, you've read the summary, you're better off moving onto another movie.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huge Disappointment instead of Inspirational
pilar-0217414 January 2017
You endure a lot of torturous scenes hoping for a good, at least logical conclusion... but no, the one who is supposed to be the hero quits. Padre Rodrigues not only completely undermines the sacrifices made by his and God's followers, but he commits heresy and leads many, many souls astray by caving in and writing against his own Faith. Liam Neeson's performance is pitiful. I suppose that's a testament to how this usually good actor battled with his own conscience and could not act his way out of it. Andrew Garfield is a big let-down in the second part of the movie. Again, all that build up for not only being a quitter, but a traitor in the worst way you can be. THIS MOVIE IS A FRUSTRATING WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY, at the theater or at home.
78 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Self-indulgent cra*p
iantrader24 March 2017
The problem with being Scorsese is that people - ie. movie-goers - expect great things of your movies so when you produce stuff like this the disappointment is all the greater.

This is well-made, beautifully executed and constructed but, boy, is it boring. Sorry, that should be Boring with a capital B.

I'm not against religious movies per se but they need to have something to say and, preferably, say it with a new angle or at least with interest. Yes, please say it in an interesting way! Jesuit priests trying to convert 17th century Japan? If you're not a die-hard Jesuit you may wonder WTF but that's what they did in those days.

The high IMDb score is because it's Scorsese and Liam Neeson is in it (a bit), not because it's a brilliant movie. It's not. If you want preaching, read the Bible, otherwise go watch something else. Anything, probably.
30 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
thegwoe26 January 2017
Every so often the Christian movie makers try and take this subject on and every effort is a failure. Quite simply put, the Japanese wanted their own culture more than they wanted the Western one, and most importantly, they were willing to fight for it tooth and claw. I know I'm suppose to feel great sympathy for the poor priests struggling against the heathens, but I don't and I don't want to. I'm quite happy that Japan has a great culture of its own design and evolution and so all the movie slander promoted by even a great director like Martin Scorsese seems just wasted talent. Oh, there is plenty of "talent" in the film; director, camera, actors, but the script and the of course the "idea" can never succeed. I know that "christian hardship porn" is satisfying for many believers, but unless you are one, you should let this movie go away.
141 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James_De_Bello13 January 2017
After receiving a worrying letter from their mentor Ferreira (Liam Neeson) from Japan, Portuguese priests Rodrigues (Andrew Garfield) and Garrpe (Adam Driver) embark on a journey to reach Japan in order to find their beloved colleague and help the Christians against the religious oppression perpetuating during the 1600s by the hand of the Japanese Buddhists.

I think that the best way to explain my thoughts on this film are to start by explaining my history with legendary director Martin Scorsese. Whilst I think that "The Departed" is a top-notch film and find "Hugo" to be a really well told tale, I have rarely had the pleasure to enjoy his films. That's just how it is. From the 1970s right down to his latest efforts I have always had a really hard time with Scorsese and I have grown to actively dislike some of his films, whilst still finding something to mine and appreciate in them.

I find that there is a common thread with what I come to dislike in his pictures. Firstly, I have always had a hard time in keeping up with his third acts, from "Cape Fear" to "Goodfellas" I have always carried myself through to the ending forcefully and have rarely appreciated his climaxes. I have always felt them as meandering and over long, not really getting to a point. Which brings me to my biggest problem, with the exceptions listed above, I have never left a Scorsese feature with something to take with me, I've never had a payoff, his films have generally left me cold and empty, his thematic explorations have often frustrated me and given me not much to appreciate.

I once felt like this must be a coincidence, but the pattern has repeated itself too many times for it to be considered so, "Silence" being no the confirmation and actually embodying the worst about my criticisms. This is a religious slog-fest that made me angry in its self importance and complete nonsensical length.

Now, I don't want to appear like I'm a jerk, whilst everything I said above is true I can't help but have anything but respect for Scorsese, he is a giant of cinema, his achievements are overwhelming, it just so happens that he really has a hard time in matching my taste and whilst he managed to get really on my nerves here, in particular, because of some of the thematic messages, I still find in all of his pictures a lot to appreciate.

For one, "Silence" has a great first half, the drama with the characters is alive and touching, the portrayal of 17th century Japan is raw and unnerving, the atmosphere that is captured is genuinely unsettling. The point of view that is established in this first half is not a religiously inflated one, what is moving about it is how we witness the hatred that man can be brought to and the contrast with the innocence in the Japanese farmers is ever so captivating.

Driver and Garfield really fuel the drama with some remarkably intense performance work that manages to not call attention to itself. Their journey is unpredictable and the recreation of the chaos and the poverty of the time really hits home. The cultural differences are explored on a visual level other than a thematic one and it makes for some really good viewing, I will fully admit that up to the hour and forty five mark I was following the drama attentively.

On a technical level the film does have some fantastic production design, but for the rest there is something that really stands out as being remarkable, probably a reason for which the last hour becomes so overbearingly boring.

Then comes the last hour, which shatters to pieces everything achieved before, changing perspective and escalating in melodramatic, masturbatory, religious bullsh*t with an ending that proves its aimlessness and disgusting self-importance. The drama just turns off, it evolves in a discussion that has no heads nor tails, to the point that I felt like it was contradicting itself at times. The ending is abysmal, ridiculous and trivial in a way that made me stand up and leave the cinema angrily without even waiting for the first credits which I always do.

If I am listening to a full hour of religious debate which combines ethical and moral complexities to it and I am left utterly bored and empty there is something that is worryingly wrong about the film for me. I was lost for words, every word that was uttered was a further step down for the film, a real disgrace because for a good portion it was going for something an succeeding at it, then came the rest of the feature and made me sick with boredom and anger.
50 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christian PROPAGANDA!!!
simon-526843 January 2017
Literally fuming at wasting three hours of my life, not to mention the money for a ticket, on something that is CLEARLY a Christian Propaganda film.

You can all read the plot elsewhere. Instead of this being a "rescue" film, it is a racist tirade against the Japanese's ill-tolerance to the invading Christian missionaries, who when are denounced suddenly become the "persecuted".

I was so close to walking out three or four times at the sheer blatantness of the arrogance and complete offensiveness of the plot (and some dialogue). This is a fictional story, but I would fully believe that this could have happened. Not to mention the very obvious ending. *eyeroll*

Seriously have lost much respect of Andrew Garfield for agreeing to do this.

This film is basically encouragement to those who think that they have a right to force their personal faith onto others at any cost. AVOID!!!.... and if you must see it, find a free ticket or just download it.

Horrific.
58 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scorsese Does it Again!!!
horitaj15 January 2017
"Silence" is Martin Scorsese's latest masterpiece of cinema that he's brought us since his 2013 hit "The Wolf of Wall Street". "Silence" follows two Jesuit priests played by Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver who invoke on a mission to go to Japan to find and rescue their mentor, Father Ferreira (played by Liam Neeson) and to spread the faith to the Japanese at the same time.

"Silence" was a film that Scorsese spent the past few decades trying to make and even though it took him such a long time to bring this powerful story to the big screen I'm just glad that it got made. "Silence" is adapted from the novel of the same name by Japanese author, Shusaku Endo. I read the book and loved it and the movie is just as up to par as the book. This is one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen, the movie has all the plot points, themes, and messages the book had and brought it to the screen flawlessly.

The acting in this film is phenomenal. Every person in this film is on the top of their game no matter how big or small their role was in this film. Andrew Garfield's performance in "Silence" better get him that golden statue because he gave such a powerful and emotionally draining performance to the point that I forgot that I'm even watching a movie. Seeing Liam Neeson actually give a dramatic and emotional performance was great, it was nice to see him take his time to be in this film and not go off and do another mediocre action movie.

The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous in this film and there's not one shot that feels out of place or out of focus. Scorsese directs the hell out of this movie and never loses focus one bit, he better get nominated for best director for the Oscars.

One thing I will say about "Silence" is that it is very long and very hard to watch at times. Considering that the film is about the test of one man's faith automatically seems like an emotionally draining film, it's nowhere what you thought you'd imagine while watching this film. You see our protagonist (Garfield) go through hell and back while watching and experiencing such horrific things. There were times where I teared up and there were times where I grimaced, and there were times where I just wanted to see the suffering end. If there were to be another title of this film it would be called "Suffering", no joke.

What else can I say, Scorsese pulls another masterpiece out of the box and deserves all the credit he deserves for just making this film alone. If you love Scorsese's work I highly suggest you to go see "Silence" because this is one of his finests without a doubt.
77 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.