Pride and Glory (2008) Poster

Great performances, below-average movie
Slaughterlouse26 October 2008
Colin Farrell, Edward Norton, Noah Emmerich, and Jon Voight all deliver great performances. There are many intense scenes throughout the movie, and Norton and Farrell match them with their own intensity. Voight is believable and realistic as the patriarch of the family of cops and the chief, trying to keep his family in order as he thinks it should be.

Despite the inspired performances of the main characters, however, Pride and Glory falls short due to awkward pacing, pointlessly convoluted side-stories revealed in equally pointless scenes, and a general lack of focus. Pride and Glory tries to tell two or three stories at once, but fails to really punctuate any one of them, leading to a fairly emotionless climax and no discernible, unifying theme. The result is a forgettable movie and a hint of buyer's remorse; if you're a big enough fan of Ed Norton or Colin Farrell and want to see either of them put on a great performance, catch the matinée, or even still, wait a few months and rent it.
113 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The cast made the movie
obsessive_disintegration26 October 2008
The plot of this movie is the fairly predictable (though always entertaining) idea of the corrupt cops against the good cops and the always-annoying injection of the nosy media. If it had been done by amateur actors, this movie wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Edward Norton was absolutely STUNNING, blew me away. He's always been a favorite of mine but every role he's in continues to amaze me. There a scene where he's talking to a Spanish woman and his expression throughout the scene is the main thing that stuck out to me in the whole movie. There's just something in his eyes that draws you and sucks you in.

Colin Farrell did an amazing job as well, as did Jon Voight. They managed to bring their characters more personality than I expected there to be. Especially Colin. Even though he played a such a bad character, there was something there in the way he was with his family and everything that still made me feel BAD for him.

And though the f-bombs were sometimes distracting and the ending could've had more punch, overall I really liked this movie.
109 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More True Than Some Want To Know
nyshrink26 October 2008
I haven't seen a lot of cop movies, so perhaps that's why I didn't find this picture "formulaic" as some have called it. I did find aspects of the film familiar, but for a different reason: I have been a resident of New York City for some time now; I have known law enforcement officers, and I think this was a realistic movie (except for the large number of murders, but hey, it's a movie). Many scenes of this film were quite reminiscent to me of stories I heard from a (former) corrupt cop I used to know.

I appreciated the fact this film showed the characters as human beings with families. I am tired of films that show both heroes and villains without back stories. I'm sure there are younger film-goers who would have preferred a more comic-book like movie...you'll grow out of that.

I liked the way the film ended. It brought in another dimension to the human drama.

Overall, this film is gripping, well acted, well directed and has an integrity to it that is often missing in films these days.
54 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timeless American Film
AnthonyTambakis16 November 2007
I saw a screening of "Pride and Glory" last night. It's the kind of American movie you don't see anymore, a throwback to the big themes and dramatic tone of the 1950s, when Elia Kazan was making movies like "East of Eden" and "On the Waterfront," and Arthur Miller was writing plays like "Death of a Salesman" and "All My Sons." Family, honor, corruption, right and wrong, fathers and sons--these are the kinds of issues that director/co-writer Gavin O'Connor is taking on in "Pride and Glory," and in doing so he's made a timeless film. Sincere without being sentimental (much like "Miracle," O'Connor's last effort), "Pride and Glory" gets elbow deep in a corruption scandal that threatens to crack the blue wall of the NYPD and destroy the Tierney family legacy (patriarch Jon Voight, sons Ed Norton and Noah Emmerich, and outlaw brother-in-law Colin Farrell, who has never been better). A muscular, old-school American film, with big themes splashed on a big canvas, "Pride and Glory" is familiar and original at the same time. In the Age of Irony, these are the kinds of movies you rarely see anymore. An honest, gripping drama.
215 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard police corruption saga that is fine but you've seen it before elsewhere and seen it better
bob the moo11 January 2009
The Tierney family is a family of cops across the generations – with cops even married into the family. When a NYPD officer is killed in a violent drug-related shootout, Ray Tierney is asked by his father to be part of the task force dedicated to finding out who it was who killed one of their own. Ray agrees as the unit affected is led by his brother Francis and includes his brother-in-law Jimmy. With Ray searching the streets for the truth, Francis already knows more than him as his men are involved in activities outside the law, using their roles within the police as cover. Everyone wants to close the matter but not everyone wants the truth to come out in doing so.

The release of Pride and Glory was delayed and the suggestion reason was its similarity in tone and broad theme to We Own the Night. I'm not sure whether this is true or not but I will question whether it was necessary to delay this film if the aim was that it would avoid comparison with other films or feeling like it is something the viewer has seen before. I question this because the film's biggest failing is that we have seen it all before and it doesn't really bring much beyond the star names to justify me being excited about seeing it again. This is not to say it is awful (although some have) but just that it is very familiar and very "sturdy" – sturdy being a quality one looks for in furniture rather than films. Thankfully the film doesn't keep the "corruption" in the cupboard for very long because to suggest it is a mystery would be an insult to the viewer, who can pretty much see where the film is heading about 90 minutes before it gets there.

With many stories it is hard to plough a new furrow so one does find that often films have a familiar narrative and that this is not a problem. The thing is to draw the viewer in despite having seen it before or perhaps knowing where it is going – make them hope for different, make them care about the characters you put the fact that this is a film with an ending to the back of your mind. Pride and Glory doesn't manage to do this though and it surprised me considering the actors involved. The problem is not really with them though but with the material, which has too many characters but too little development of them. Norton seems a bit lost in this but still does turn in a solid performance. Likewise Farrell is good and it only further highlights how much of a waste it is not to give them more to work off individually and together. Voight and Emmerich add to this but again neither has the material to really do good work with so, although nobody is "bad" nobody really impresses either. O'Connor does an OK job as director but doesn't get much urgency or emotion into it – although this is the result of failing to do the same as writer.

Pride and Glory is a solid but wholly unremarkable film that is distracting but unmemorable. It feels old and dated despite still being in the cinema and I imagine this will only be worse when it arrives on television in about five years time. The names involved are impressive but nobody can really deliver what they are able to because the material is just not there in the depth they require. Not a "bad" film by any means, just one that is hard to get excited about or shake the feeling that you've seen it done better elsewhere.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising Story with a Terrible Conclusion
claudio_carvalho28 March 2009
When four police officers from the 31st Precinct are slaughtered in a raid in Washington Heights, Chief of Police Francis Tierney Sr. (Jon Voight) assigns his son, Detective Ray Tierney (Edward Norton), in the task force that is investigating the murder under the command of his brother and Chief of 31st Precinct, Francis Tierney Jr. (Noah Emmerich). Ray uses his common sense and knowledge of the streets to chase the criminal Angel Tezo (Ramon Rodriguez) that survived the slaughter and is the main witness of the crime. However, he also discloses a network of corruption in the police department and has a moral dilemma when he finds that his brother-in-law and also officer Jimmy Eagan (Colin Farrell) is dirty and a drug-dealer.

The complex "Pride and Glory" has a confused beginning, where many situations are disclosed without the necessary development of the characters. However, after fifteen, twenty minutes, the viewer has the big picture of the events and sees many parallel dramatic sub-plots and the promising movie is highly engaging. Unfortunately the conclusion is terrible from the moment that Ray decides to meet Jimmy in a bar and bring his brother-in-law arrested with him. Why doesn't he go to the Internal Affairs and tells the truth instead supported by his brother? The fight and the subsequent death of Jimmy would be enough to sentence him guilty in any court. I do not understand why the writer decided to spoil the excellent plot with this stupid conclusion, transforming my exhilaration in a great deception. "Dark Blue" has a similar theme (multi-generation of detectives, corruption in the police department etc.) and is more solid and consistent. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Força Policial" ("Police Force")
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad,but mediocre
Argemaluco25 June 2009
From the first scenes of Pride and Glory we see a lot of tragedy,shouts,rage and violence.But,for a long time,none of those elements could emotionally connect with me.And when the main conflict is finally defined,the movie already got a little bit tiring.Pride and Glory is not a bad movie,but I just found it to be mediocre,and I cannot deny that the excellent performances from Edward Norton,Colin Farrell and Jon Voight make this movie seem to be better than what it really is.The weakest element from this film is that it is full of elements we have already seen on many other cop flicks.Some examples are slow motion funerals,private lives which are ruined by the tension of work and the grey morality some cops have.It may seem as a stupid complain,but I found the constant use of the "F" word as a negative element.That does not offend or scandalize me,but it is used with so much frequency that it finishes distracting us from the story.In other words,there comes a moment in which the use of that word stops being realistic for becoming in the version of "New York reality" from co-screenwriters Joe Carnahan and Gavin O'Connor (who was also the director).Besides,the screenplay makes too many turns for getting to the final point we have guessed much before.Pride and Glory is not a bad movie and I can give a slight recommendation to it,because in general it did not bore me.But the final experience is absolutely forgettable.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some flaws here and there, but still has a very decent story
Smells_Like_Cheese12 November 2008
Edward Norton and Colin Ferrell, the automatic great duo, they make a perfect team for a movie like this. They're both great actors and will make any movie worth the watch. So my friends and I watched Pride and Glory a little over a week ago, I was hearing mixed reviews on it, but still, when you love these actors as much as I do, you have to see it. So based on my honest opinion, this is a very good story, but the film just needed better editing, it was a little longer than it should have been. Also I didn't really like the ending, although I know they did it more for the cinematic reasons as people wanna see the bad guys pay for their crimes. But Ed, Colin, and even John Voight make this film very watchable and click right on screen. We've seen a million crooked cop movies, I think we're still looking for one that really stands out, but Pride and Glory holds itself well and is watchable.

Jimmy is a narc who does pretty much all the dirty work when it comes to busting in on drug dealers, hookers, murderers, rapists, etc. One night though he among other cops receive a call that 4 policemen have been killed in a building with drug dealers. Jimmy is trying to figure out what went wrong only to find out that one of the drug dealers had an inside man who called in advance to warn them that the cops were coming. But one of the policemen that he suspects is his brother in-law who does the best he can to justify all that he is doing.

Pride and Glory is a very good story, I'd say though to wait for the rental, but I'm warning you there are some really intense scenes, Colin goes really far in one scene with a baby, I'm a person who has seen every disturbing film known to man, and this scene had my hands over my eyes. If you wanna see this film, you'll see what I'm talking about. There are some shocking lines as well and hurtful, this was just an intense movie and is not for the weak hearted. It's like the more disturbing episode of The Shield in some ways. Ed and Colin work well together and are a great duo, Pride and Glory is a good movie, just needs a little more editing.

47 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
strong performances + significant problems in NYPD drama
Quinoa198421 November 2008
Interesting to see the reactions to Pride and Glory on IMDb: some people like it a lot, so much so that they rank it as one of their favorite films of the year, while others rank it low, very low, saying it's low-end predictable trash that rips off from every other cop movie around including last year's We Own the Night (that title comes up often, which I can't comment on as I've yet to see it). I might be one of those small handful that are in the middle: Pride and Glory is an alright cop drama, not amazing or really terrible. It borrows from many movies and TV shows, this much is definite, and its directorial style goes between fine competence with actual dialog scenes (with the occasional noir-ish flourish) and overbearing with the hand-held in action scenes. It seems as if no cop drama in recent memory can quite come up to the height that Narc reached with that- coincidentally in this case Narc director Carnahan had a part in writing P&G's script- and for most of the running time the film suffers from a lack of real stylistic vigor.

But, thankfully a big but, the performances are all stellar all-around. From the big players like Edward Norton (who, unless under duress or restraint by the studio, turns in fantastic work that's subtle for the camera but as intense as a theater performance) and Colin Farrell (gaining cred fast this year with this, In Bruges and underrated Cassandra's Dream), Jon Voight (who, somehow, has bounced back from the STP-nightmare appearance in Bratz), and character actor Noah Emmerich (often with one facial expression- tension and an inner sadness- but still good if not as good as Little Children), to Jennifer Ehle who plays Emmerich's dying wife who is, for every moment she's on screen, absolutely terrific and even makes great scenes out of otherwise OK elements.

This is, in fact, a real actor's movie, unlike Righteous Kill which rested entirely on he heels of its two stars, and for all the black-and-white-and-sometimes-gray areas of the script- about a family of cops who become embroiled in one member, Jimmy (Farrell) and his incredulously corrupt dealings and murders- the bulk of the cast make it more than watchable: one is almost fooled from time to time, with all its rampant cursing and crazy bits (i.e. threatening hot-iron on a baby), that it is great. But it isn't. So much of its plot is middling and only sparks of fascinating scenes keep it together, like when a sleazy Hispanic character pays a personal call to Jimmy's house while his family is home, and its final 15 minutes are a mix of wild hysterics (a supporting character, part of Jimmy's corrupt crew, snaps in a convenience store during a 'pick-up' and a big race-inspired protest happens on cue) and a true-blue Irish bar fight that perhaps would've benefited from John Ford rising from the grave to guest direct.

So catch it on TV, now that it's almost gone from theaters, if you haven't seen it yet, and judge for yourself if it's high, low, or in the middle of expectations. I'm in the middle, though it does seem like the kind of OK movie that may play better on repeat viewings when nothing much else is on. 6.5/10
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One outstanding gritty cop drama..
DarkVulcan2930 October 2008
Pride and Glory manages to reach such high depth of entertainment, in which it shows the effectiveness of the good guys and the bad guys. It may seem like another type of mystery drama, but it goes beyond that.

It begins in December, where Ray(Edward Norton), a missing persons police detective, and his older brother Francis(Noah Emmerich) are at a football game where the cops and the firemen are playing against each other. There brother in law Jimmy(Colin Farrell) who is also a cop, is playing also. But after the game, Francis gets a call, about a shoot out. When Francis, Ray and Jimmy arrive at the scene, they find it was a drug bust that went horribly wrong, and four cops are dead. Francis Sr(Jon Voight) a retired cop, suggest that Ray should come in on this case. Ray has a troubled past, but agrees to come on. But during the investigation, what there gonna discover is something not only shocking then the crime itself, but the events that led up to it.

Terrific performances by Voight, Emmerich, Norton, and Farrell. The crime drama is also great. It seemed to slow down a little for some parts. But I liked the direction it was going, it showed the gritty realness of a cops life. It just wasn't focused on the crime part, but also on the emotion part. It was a great film, don't miss it.
40 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit slumberous and uneven but still a solid and compelling police thriller
davideo-216 November 2008
STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

When four police officers are brutally gunned down in a run down, drug infested tower block, it sets a deadly chain of events in motion that threaten to tear apart the brotherly structure of the New York Police Department. Honest cop Ray Tierney (Edward Norton) starts with the proper approach, getting a statement from an eye witness to what may have gone on in the shape of an innocent, unlying child who admits to having seen notorious drug dealer Angel Tezo (Ramon Rodriguez) fleeing from the scene in fear. With what happened starting to look fairly obvious, the hunt begins for Tezo. Unfortunately, that includes less honest cops Jimmy Egan (Colin Farrell), related to Ray through marriage, and his men whose corrupt activities have lead to the murders. It all builds up to a devastating battle between family and friends, loyalty and justice, truth and honour.

As any one who's glanced at the trivia section (or Empire Magazine!) will already know, work on Pride and Glory was scheduled to begin as far back as 2001, but owing to America's characteristically patriotic respect for NY cops who risked their lives to save lives that fateful day, any suggestion of corruption amongst them was deemed, well, unpatriotic and it's been left till seven years later for the film to come out. It would appear the most high profile film to come from writer/director Gavin O' Connor, whose other credits appear a smattering of unheard of films that have skipped the sort of exposure this one's got.

Though a few have claimed the film has been done before (which it surely has), it is still far more than a standard, straight-forward cop thriller, with an intelligent, twisty turny screenplay that keeps you hooked with it's developments and raw honesty. Despite this, the narrative flow fails to keep going as well as you'd like, and a fair few scenes gracelessly flow on from the last one rather than keeping you hooked for them. Also on the plus side are strong, solid performances from leading men Norton and Farrell, not to mention Jon Voight and Noah Emmerich as the other honest, well meaning father/son cop team caught up in the middle of the corrupt shenanigans as everyone else. But Norton and Farrell not only have good presence, they have good chemistry together and it's a shame they're scenes together are too few. Another down point is their climactic fisticuffs session, which feels corny and out of place amongst what has been a raw, unflinching, brutally and unsearingly honest cop film up till now, belonging more at the end of a Jet Li or Chuck Norris movie to be honest.

Still, this is a solid, well made cop thriller that was still quite worth the wait. ***
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family of cops & a whole load of blood; Enjoyable
joebloggscity6 December 2008
Films revolving around a family of policemen are nothing new. Pride & Glory, starring Norton & Farrell, isn't anything revolutionary in the genre but takes a generally strong storyline and adds some good acting.

Story revolves around a group of cops (led by Farrell) up to their necks in trouble after their corrupt scams have backfired on them, and to cover their backs they need to tread deeper into the mire. On the other hand is Norton (Farrell's brother-in-law) who slowly discovers what's going on, and it all goes helter-skelter.

In many ways in these films they can get a little clichéd and melodramatic, but this film seems conscious of that fact, and in general has strayed away from what it could have been. Nevertheless, its nothing special but still interesting. The main interest is the family politics and dynamics and that should keep your interest with the generally good acting. An enjoyable movie.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Pride, No Glory
bigtimage12 November 2008
I don't usually write comments, but this movie was just awful. First, I never sleep during a movie, even when I'm tired. But this movie was just that boring. It had a good storyline, but expressed it ways that are unbelievably terrible. The plot jumped from place to place until the extent that it didn't make sense anymore. Some parts weren't even necessary. As such, the beginning (the random football game) had no point and the ending didn't tie all the loose ends. The lighting was dim and barely visible at times. The camera was unstable and shaky, which makes no sense in a dramatic movie such as this (does better in a movie like Quarantine). This is probably because the movie, instead of using a rail, carried it by hand in some parts. It made the unnecessary scene into longer scene, whereas the action and the "important dialogue" was cut up into short pieces. The editing and transitions could also use a lot of work too. There were scenes where a different language was used, but no subtitles were given (which is practically a middle finger in my case). Everybody swears: "fuck," "shit," "bitch," it's as if the actors had just quit smoking or it was their period. Finally, the acting was probably mediocre at best all together, even with more experienced actors like Edward Norton and Colin Farell. If you like a good movie, watch Body of Lies or something that doesn't make you say "I was expecting more," or "What the hell was that piece of crap?" Do anything, but don't watch this movie.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid Police drama
shadowman1231 December 2008
Pride and Glory is a very well constructed urban gritty police drama which is different from other various cop movies. On the surface it might just seem like a superficial police drama, but scratch the misleading trailers and underneath you have a tough cop drama dealing with the moral themes in a complex melting pot. I could not think of someone who handles complex characters better than Ed Norton and his ability to do that with what might seem like no effort is magical, Colin Farrell on the other hand was equally entertaining with his out look as a police officer. The action is nothing over the top and deals with certain issues with a very in your face way of getting its point across. Although it might be a little too long and drag on in places it however does keep you watching it due to the performances. To some it up , Pride and Glory is drama that one has to be in the mood to watch although there is heavy script and acting involved it requires a clear and rigid mind to view.

PRIDE AND GLORY : 8.3 OUT OF 10
29 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best, if not one of the best films of 2008
kkgoh0723 October 2008
This was one of the best movies I've seen in 2008.

A thoroughly intense movie lasting over 2 hours, it was jammed packed with plot twists, drama and suspenseful moments, and yet somehow came out feeling totally believable. Edward Norton and Colin Farrell gave some of their best performances, just don't neglect the fantastic acting from the rest of a somewhat star-studded cast. The level of violence, profanity and some nudity may be offensive to some, but it is an R rated movie after all. Definitely not a popcorn movie meant for kids.

The artistic direction, cast of characters and film technique was superb. It hearkens back to the old days when the true value of a movie was in its plot and acting, not a bunch of sci-fi Hollywood special effects.

I actually watched it at the Chicago International Film Festival with the director Gavin O'Connor present for a Q&A session at the end of the show. His comments were very insightful. The film took over 9 years to come to fruition (little had to do with the shoot, which took only 60+ days). The realization that most of these "actors" were not professionals is even more amazing.
57 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding Movie
kircherfamily25 October 2008
This movie was great. A good performance by Colin Farell and even better by Edward Norton. Don't listen to any of the negative comments about this movie they are not true at all. The movie has you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire thing. Edward Norton proves again why he is the best actor today, and how he carefully chooses what movies to star in. The movie had some violence and dropped a lot of f-bombs, but if you are a Ed Norton fan and want to see a good movie, here is the one. The movie has a good ending, and kept me interested. There were also solid performances from Noah Emmerich and Jon Voight. Overall, I loved this movie and was one of the best I have seen this year
48 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie....despite beginning
hb-boyd16 October 2008
I saw the advance screening of Pride and Glory last night in NYC. It's an excellent film despite the first 30 minutes, which is riddled with enough F-bombs ((classic Collin Farrell)) and Spanish speaking between characters ((no subtitles!)) to make you question whether you'll ever understand what's happening on screen. It's not until after the 30 minute mark that the storyline is finally spelled out for those of us who can't cut through all the nonsense at the start. Thanks to outstanding performances by Edward Norton and Jon Voight this is definitely a MUST see film. All the action will literally have you on the edge of your seat towards the end. However, I'd advise you to spend the first 30 minutes doing something more productive with your time like standing outside in the concession line for popcorn and candy. In the bathroom washing your hands. Maybe on your cell phone having a conversation with your mother would be less punishment than watching the poor set up of this cop flick. But do go out and see this film!!! Just be sure to leave the kids at home, because the profanity, nudity and violence was even a bit too much for some of the adults in the audience. Enjoy.
24 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New World Record: 250 F-Words
vitaly-tomilov18 November 2010
I watched for the second time just to carefully count and tick off how many times the F-word was used in the movie, and it came down to an impressive 250, which is somewhat of an outstanding achievement in scriptwriting, and a World Record in foul language over-use on screen.

For most part, the acting was very good, realistic, emotional, but it was greatly spoiled by the dialogs in which every second word was the F-word. And for this simple reason I would not recommend it for watching to people who appreciate eloquence and good articulation, you won't hear any well-spoken decency in this movie, it's all endlessly flat foul.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top tier talent in a mediocre product
Craig_McPherson28 October 2008
If there's any value to be gleaned from Pride and Glory it's that even movies built around a pairing of top tier actors with a strong supporting cast can be miserable failures if the story isn't up to snuff.

Ed Norton and Colin Farrell play two New York City cops at the center of this tepid tale of corruption and murder. Both are linked by family, with Farrell's Jimmy Egan married to Ray Tierney's (Norton) sister. When a crew of officers are found shot in a botched raid on a crack house, the force puts a full court press on finding the gunman, and hands the reigns of the investigating task force to Tierney.

Director and co-screenwriter Gavin O'Connor wastes little time in establishing that the killer was part of a slimy corruption ring involving criminal gangs and cops, however he quickly lifts the veil off the mystery by revealing the identities of the officers on the take, forcing the story to simply go through the motions leading up to the inevitable and all too predictable climax.

Norton and Farrell both turn in strong performances, as do Jon Voight and Noah Emmerich as Tierney's father and brother respectively, and if a movie was judged on acting alone, Pride and Glory would be in the top shelf. Unfortunately it's built upon a theme that's been mined countless times before, and fails to break any new ground in the process. The end result is a film that is destined to be one of the many unremarkable titles that line the racks at the local DVD outlet, or pad the bargain bins at department stores.

As the police often say: "move along folks, there's nothing to see here".
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love cop movies set in New York, but I hated this
loveofmovies846 November 2009
Generally, when I get caught watching a bad movie, I try as hard as I can to stay to the end. As a movie lover, I feel obliged to give a movie the benefit of the doubt. Just because the first half was so terrible doesn't mean it can't get better.

However, there was one scene in Pride and Glory that had me eyeing the theater exit. It involves Colin Farrell's character trying to get information out of a suspect by threatening to disfigure his infant child with a steaming clothes iron. Thankfully the iron never touches the babies flesh, but Farrell keeps it about a half an inch away from the baby's face, so you know it's burning the poor kid.

It's a extremely unpleasant scene in what has, by this point, proved to be an aggressively lugubrious police procedural.

Pride and Glory is drenched in such a suffocating, doom-filled atmosphere that it leaves you feeling depressed when it's over. About ninety percent of the movie consists of characters fighting back tears and having emotional outbursts, while the other ten is devoted to scenes of police brutality and torture.

And it's all filmed in many drab and murky compositions. Director Gavin O'Conner films everything in such thick blues and grays that it lends the movie a spectacularly unattractive visual polish.

If this movie has a message, it's that life sucks and occasionally good people suffer because of it. It's a spectacularly stupid movie, handled in such a lethargic and derivative way that the movie's two hour and nine minute running time feels twice as long.

The movie stars Edward Norton in a role that wastes his considerable talents. He plays Ray Tierney, a sad-eyed New York City cop with a "troubled past" who spends much of his time working on missing persons cases.

However, after four cops end up dead in a drug bust, Ray is called to investigate by his high-ranking police officer father, Francis Tierney, Sr. (Jon Voight). His investigation leads him to a circle of crooked cops, one that involves his older brother Francis Jr. (Noah Emmerich) and his hot-headed brother-in-law Jimmy Egan (Colin Farrell).

What little plot there is is padded out with clichéd side stories involving Francis Jr.'s cancer striken wife (Jennifer Ehle) and Ray trying to work things out with his long suffering wife (Carmen Ejogo).

This is all stuff we've seen in a dozen of other movies, done with a lot more energy, humor, and conviction than it is here.

Take for instance last year's grossly underrated cop thriller We Own the Night. That movie, while far from a perfect film, at least had some bitingly intense action scenes and a trio of actors who were able to convince you that they were a family.

Pride and Glory has none of these things. Although the movie has an A-list cast, there is not a single convincing performance in the entire film, which renders the scenes of family bonding painfully artificial. There is hardly any action in the movie to punctuate the tedium, save for a risible bar fight between Ray and Jimmy in the final third.

However, what really sinks the movie is the incredibly nasty vibe Gavin O'Conner gives the material. The scene involving the infant is bad enough, there is another particularly stomach turning scene where Jimmy and a couple of his goons were shoving what looked like a lead pipe down one suspects throat.

Pride and Glory sat on the shelves for a few years because of its depiction of crooked cops in a post-9/11 New York City. As far as I'm concerned, it should've stayed on the shelves, because there is nothing in this movie to entertain anyone.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not For Me
Easygoer1019 September 2016
I was very underwhelmed by the lack of direction on this film. With such a low budget of $30Mil, especially for that era's films (made about 10 years ago), it has a terrific cast. However, it has a very meandering script; the director really doesn't seem to know what he wants it to be about. In the "making of featurette" on the Bluray disc (which is over an hour long), Colin Farrell is quite noticeably absent; his name is only mentioned once, and he is never interviewed or shown. That struck me as very odd. The only reason I could think of was it had something to do with the legal department. I will give props to the director for truly wanting to make an authentic film about the NYPD; however, I do not believe he succeeded. I would not see it again, nor would I recommend it. I think "We Own The Night" is a much better film about the NYPD.
Average Formula Police Thriller
Floated231 October 2015
Pride and Glory starring Colin Farrell and Ed Norton is a take on a typical NYPD good-cop-bad cop film with a plot that resembles several old television shows. The clichés come fast throughout(who should know better, having made the far superior version of this film, Narc). Ray has lately removed himself from dad's unit (to the symbolic Missing Persons) and lives on a leaky boat (being adrift and all).

A couple minor flaws but I do believe a lot had to do with the operator and not the shaver it self. A few people complained about it pulling on 3-4 whiskers at a time and causing pain, however, they did mention they only tried the shaver two or three times and most all shavers recommend up to 21 days for your face to adjust to a new shaver. Until the 21 days has been reached just try pulling your skin taught to reduce any pain associated with the grace period.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavyweight performances... missing heavyweight punches.
UptownRox25 March 2014
Such a great cast. Some intense individual performances. If this were the type of movie that could be made or broken by its cast it would be a classic. Unfortunately that's not the case.

The movie starts off and sets a high bar. At a cops vs. detectives rival football game we learn about a 10-13 -- four officers have been killed. A number of story-lines converge to create a number of potentially explosive relationships. But about 30 minutes in, the whole rhythm of the film just about falls flat. The good pursue the truth with tireless effort, but not much personal conflict; while the bad stay one step ahead trying to tie up their loose ends.

I found the story and this world of police corruption pretty fascinating, but the angle taken to pursue it--the burnt out cop getting back in the game, played by Ed Norton--pretty cliché and not dynamic. Norton is great, but his character doesn't have any particular traits to make him interesting or memorable, or in conflict with himself. In fact the only character I thought interesting, other than Voigt as a father of two cops, and Maximiliano Hernandez as an interesting journalist but arriving too late, was Farrell as the trouble-making cop welcomed into the honest family. That character alone stands on a pedestal and makes the picture interesting. But without a heavyweight counterpart to punch back with his own personal cause, e.g. Norton's character, Farrell can't raise the bar back to the heights of the first scene at the football game, where the story promised an intimate clash of one side versus another.
Good Cop Bad Cop Badass Cop
Chrysanthepop8 August 2011
Gavin O'Connor's 'Pride and Glory' is a well-made, dark, gritty, urban film that looks into corruption within the police force. Given the title, I was under the impression that this would be just another typical police drama but 'Pride and Glory' is almost noncompromising in its depiction. O'Connor and has crew seem to have gone out of their way to achieve authenticity in their film and they have succeeded for the most parts. The director's sincerity is also apparent as he steers clear from sentimentality.

His style of execution (cinematography, art direction, lighting and use of score) is very detailed. In addition, he has extracted some fine performances from his principle cast that includes Jon Voight, Edward Norton, Noah Emmerich and especially Colin Farrell (this is easily one of the best works of his career). The women do not have much to do but Jennifer Ehle stands out. John Ortiz and Frank Grillo lend strong support.

Of course 'Pride and Glory' is not without its share of drawbacks. It does risk being a little too Hollywood at times. For example, was it really necessary to have a boxing-wrestling bar-fight sequence near the end? The story too at times loses focus as it occasionally slips towards unnecessary side stories.

Yet, 'Pride and Glory' is still effective. It's gripping, brutal, well acted and decently directed.
A mixed bag of a film
freemantle_uk10 May 2010
With a script that entered into production in 2001 Pride and Glory was one of the most highly prized screenplays in Hollywood, with names like Mark Wahlberg and Hugh Jackman attached to the leading roles. But because of the attack on 11th September 2001 the idea of film about dirty NYPD officers would have been in bad taste. It proposed until 2008 and had Ed Norton and Colin Farrell in the lead roles. So was it worth the wait?

Pride and Glory tells the story of a family of Irish American men who are members of the NYPD. Ray (Ed Norton) is a skilled investigator and a plain clothes detective, whilst his brother-in-law Jimmy (Colin Farrell) is a mid-ranking uniformed officer. The family seem close but all have their problems, Ray is suffering from guilt of a previous case gone wrong and his marriage falling apart. His brother Francis Jr. (Noah Emmerich), a senior station chief, is having to support his wife whom suffering from cancer and their father Francis Sr. (Jon Voight) is a even more senior police officer and a borderline alcoholic. Only Jimmy seems to have a strong family life. The family and officers are called into action when four of Francis Jr. officers are killed in action and all of them are colleagues of Jimmy. Ray is assigned the case but soon discovers that it a much more complex case of a simple shooting. Jimmy and his colleagues had been running amok within Francis Jr.'s station as the man is struggling with his personal life. Jimmy is a corrupt cop, selling drugs, robbing and acting like a paid assassin. He uses violence and imitation to get revenge and retrieve money his crew has lost. But Ray is slowly closing in on his brother-in-law and a professional and personal conflict is about to arise.

Gavin O'Conner is an effective director, trying to make a gritty and violence film about the NYPD. His effects are noble, he does not tone down the violence and the physical poverty that some people would have to live in. He films it in a slightly grey ting and uses hand-held cameras very effectively, giving the film a realistic and almost documentary style to it. There is also strong performances from Norton and Farrell (though he is forced into angry mode for most of the film). Voight is also pretty good throughout the film. But some of the supporting cast members were weaker in comparison, particular Emmerich who did not seem to match Norton or Farrell.

What makes the film not as strong as it should be is the script. It should have been a simple straight-forward police-thriller and attempt to be a update of the Al Pacino film Serpico. It attempted to be realistic and could and should have shown how corrupt cops can work in a modern setting and how other police officers would investigate them. But the screenwriters of O'Conner and Joe Carnahan do two big problems: first is that it's a bit unrealistic that a whole family this day and age would all be cops and even more unlikely a senior father cop could assign cases to his sons. In real life wouldn't the police authorities split them up to ensure there is no favouritism? Second is the plot is bogged down with too many sub-plots: it's noble of the writers to bring about some extra character development, but there was too much that detracts from the main plot of the film and some areas lead to no where, like the journalist sub-plot. What the two writers could have done was either cut out most of the sub-plots to make a tort film, making the film longer, extend the sub-plots and made the film a bit longer or really extend everything about the film and a make an effective 'The Wire' type TV series. The film also suffers from so very silly, unrealistic scenes like Ray and Jimmy clearing a bar and then having a big fist fight. The dialogue too was weak, suffering from the usual cop-film clichés we have all heard before. Finally the film also drags a little in the beginning and goes a little silly in the end. It was the middle part of the film which was the best.

There was potential in the film but it was not fully realised. It needed some re-writes before it should have been made. But it is a noble effort of film.