Bon Cop Bad Cop (2006) Poster

Really good !
Bawow4 August 2006
I've seen it yesterday and it is very good! I'm french, so I've seen it in french, but I'll probably go see it in English too, because although I watched it in french, there's a lot of English parts (subtitled) so I guess the English version will also be subtitled for the french parts. It not hard to understand, it's completely hilarious, but there's also a very good story and I honestly suggest it to anyone (exept young children, there's a lot of swearing (haha) in both languages! ) The movie is not too long, it lasts about two hours but I never felt tired of any part. It talks a lot about hockey, our national sport, but the story is not all about it, which allows the less-informed viewers to understand easily (There are some inside jokes with our hockey reality, but only a few). Seriously, I laughed, I got scared, I jumped, I laughed again, and I simply loved this movie which I recommend to you all.
61 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely funny and yet suspenseful
tstmary-11 August 2006
The chemistry between Huard and Feore is fantastic. I had thought the subtitles would be annoying but they are such an integral part of the humour that I didn't mind them at all.

There are moments in the movie that are shocking enough to make you squeeze your eyes shut, but the humour is retained all the way through.

Warning - I was part of a test audience. There were a lot of complaints about language and violence. I thought it was brilliantly done, however if you're sensitive to either, this movie may not be for you. I hope the film doesn't get changed because of the complaints. It is perfectly balanced as it is.
62 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
super
quixoticlie6 August 2006
Bon Cop Bad Cop had me in tears. The laughs are continuous, the suspense is consistent, the imagery is beautiful, the action is impressive... the chemistry is incredible. It's almost like Boondock Saints. fast paced and modern, while staying true to Canada and the abrasive feelings between Québec and Ontario, while centering around, what else, Hockey! Being bilingual, I can say I may have laughed twice as hard as anyone else in the theater; However, this half-English half-french movie is sure to please anyone regardless of maternal language thanks to perfect subtitles which only add to the amazingness of the film.

Highly recommended.
60 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lovely movie
selesse7 August 2006
"Bon Cop, Bad Cop" was fun to watch. It carried a typical story, but it was played out so well that it didn't matter. In my opinion, it succeeded quite well in bringing in the typical "cliché" traits that are given to Ontarians and Quebeckers. The fact that the film was bilingual was something new and something exciting, and the subtitles didn't affect the movie at all, it even made it better. The cast was very convincing and very real.

Patrick Huard succeeded in portraying his role as a light-hearted Quebecker and helped take the stress off of some events with his good sense of humor. Louis-José Houde played a small role but couldn't keep the audience from laughing. This movie is definitely a must-see, especially if you're a fan of Patrick Huard or Louis-José Houde!
43 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
chrisludgate4 August 2006
I saw this with my wife on opening day, and we both loved it! Great action and great humour. We saw the French version, ie: the English dialogue is subtitled. I imagine that in the English version it's the other way around. If you are bilingual you have an advantage as we found a few times we were the only ones laughing. Some of the jokes didn't get translated quite right from English to French, and I'm sure there are a few French jokes that are funnier if you are from or are familiar with Québec. The direction was superbly done, with some great juxtaposition in one of the scene. The language wasn't that bad (unless you are French, there's more French swearing than English) and there were a couple of graphic scenes, so don't take young kids. Also a good spoof of some prominent hockey figures. Rick Mercer and Louis-Jose Houde provide their typical comedy excellently.

Overall a great movie and I strongly recommend it!
42 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of fun
LeRoyMarko19 August 2006
It's rare that a Canadian movie has people talking like this one. What other subjects than the so-called rivalry between Ontario and Québec could have made a better film? Add to that our national sports, hockey, and you've got a winner. It's a winner also because it's funny, especially the first half. The location where the first body is found is hilarious! Patrick Huard and Colm Feore are both doing an excellent job. They're supported by a great cast. I especially like Pierre Lebeau. That guy knows how to swear! Of course, it's full of clichés and stereotypes that the population from the two provinces (English and French) have of the other. But that's why it's so funny. I hope this film does very well at the box-office. My guess though is that people from outside Canada will not find it as interesting. But too bad! Seen in Toronto, at the Beach Cinemas, on August 18th, 2006.

79/100 (***)
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious Police Story
claudio_carvalho6 October 2007
When the body of the executive of hockey Benoir Brisset is found on the billboard of the border of Quebec and Ontario, the jurisdiction of the crime is shared between the two police forces and detectives David Bouchard (Patrick Huard) from Montreal and Martin Ward (Colm Feore) from Toronto are assigned to work together. With totally different styles, attitudes and languages, the reckless David and the ethical Martin join force to disclose the identity of the Tattoo Killer, a deranged serial-killer that is killing managers of hockey.

"Bon Cop Bad Cop" is a sort of parody to "Lethal Weapon", exploring the rivalry in Canada between Quebec and Ontario and the passion of Canadians for hockey. The film is a hilarious police story, using the common clichés of two different cops that become partners but in very funny situations. In the deleted scenes there is one particular showing the two families together that should have been used in the final edition. I liked this film a lot, but I believe it is funnier for Canadians and fans of hockey. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Bon Cop Bad Cop"
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, action-packed and well-written dialogue in English and french
kitchendancer16 August 2006
Bon Cop, Bad Cop is probably the best movie I've seen in awhile. What struck me to most was that the chemistry between Patick Huard (Bouchard)and Colm Feore (Ward) was very believable, and the dialogue was very human. The characters were never "exposition-y" and spoke like real people. I also liked that both characters are bilingual, not going for the cheap/insulting digs of "stupid English doesn't understand french" or vice versa. Viewers, of course, do not need to understand french to know exactly what's going on or being said. In fact, there is an entire tutorial on swearing in french given by Bouchard fairly early on in the film which some might find educational.

There are some hilarious digs at hockey culture: the entire character of Harry Buttman being the most obvious; but it never descends into forced jokes or "strategic" set-ups a la Will Ferrell.

Though it is a very Quebec film, it deserves a wide audience.
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hit every cliché in the book
islay_2725 September 2006
While Bon Cop Bad Cop was certainly an entertaining film, I was left cringing in my seat from cheap acting, dime store clichés, and one too many fight scenes. Patrick Huard's character (David Bouchard) fills in the antiquated stereotype of an oversexed, impulse driven French Canadian. Early in the film, David's ex- wife notes that if it weren't for work, women and booze, they might still be married. While it might be expected that his character will develop past these flaws, a romantic climax is later reached with a manly looking Sarain Boyland.

The script drags and is perilously unfocused. The motivation for the Tattoo Killer is never revealed. After two hours of indulgent fist fights and chase scenes, I was at least expecting a twist in the end. Is the tattoo killer simply a crazed hockey fan or does he have a more specific reason for killing off elite members of the hockey community.

Overall, the film could have used better editing (way too many fight scenes, it just got boring) and a tighter script.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie of the summer!
jbelair-113 August 2006
This movie is brilliant! I was not only laughing my head off as I walked out of the cinema, but I was also bursting with pride. To think that this idea sat on the shelves for so long before Patrick Huard decided to do it... A movie made by the same director as New Rouge could only be so good. Pat is so funny, hilarious, and hot, and I've grown fond of Colm Feore. I think a lot of Quebecois can find and recognize themselves in that movie, and I hope it's the same for Ontarians, maybe. I saw it last week and I will go see it again. It's a shame it isn't show as widely outside of the province of Quebec, I'm sure a whole lot of English Canadians can get a good laugh out of it. It manages to make fun of Quebec, Ontario, and the ridiculous rivalry between the two, all while staying in good taste. A jewel! I loved it.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shamelessly uses every cliché in the book and yet it works - strangely enough
Craig_McPherson5 August 2006
Imagine this scenario: an English Canadian movie producer, impressed by the strong box office showings of Quebec films like C.R.A.Z.Y., decides to see if he can develop a cross-over product that will appeal not only to Quebecois film goers, but popcorn munchers from the ROC (Rest of Canada) as well. So, with this in mind, he enlists the talent of one of Quebec's hottest leading men and begins to brainstorm how to find the winning formula.

Clearly it must contain copious cultural references that bridge the language divide….. hockey! That's the ticket! Swearing; yeah, we'll add that too. But not just run of the mill English cusses; this movie must have French ones because, well, French swearing is funny. You know where all this would fit in well? A buddy cop movie! Yeah, we can't miss with that formula.

And so, the blender is set to high and the ingredients poured in. The end result is Bon Cop, Bad Cop, and in spite of all its clichés, stereotypes, telegraphed scenes and flimsy excuse for a plot, the film works on some base level that defies logic.

Starring the Shakespearean stage actor Colm Feore and Quebec star Patrick Huard as a quarreling Canuck version of Lethal Weapon's Riggs and Murtaugh, Bon Cop, Bad Cop throws virtually every hoary cliché imaginable at the theater screen. A victim is found dead straddling the Quebec/Ontario border sign, victims are killed with hockey sticks and skates to the head by a villain who wears goalie masks and dresses up as a beaver mascot. I swear the DVD extras will no doubt feature a poutine food fight that didn't make it into the final cut. If it doesn't, I bet producer Kevin Tierney is kicking himself reading this: "Jeeze! I didn't make a poutine reference! Damn!" In fact, I can count the number of clichés on one hand that DIDN'T make it into this movie.

I know I sound appalled by all this, but strangely, I left the theater having had a few (albeit guilty) chuckles, and a fairly good time. Huard and Feore actually work well together, and while I would have liked to see more attention paid to the plot, the overall formula (and make no mistake about it, this movie is ENTIRELY formula) works. In fact, I actually expect to see this movie spawn a sequel, irregardless of whether or not the film is able to hold its own at English Canada's box offices. Quebecers appear to love this movie. The screening I attended (at an English theater in Montreal) was packed like few Hollywood movies are able to these days. In this respect, I think the folks behind this movie have shown they're smart as foxes, knowing Quebec box office receipts should return a decent profit on their investment. If English Canada laps it up, it's just so much gravy on the poutine (hey, if they can use the clichés, so can I).

Note to everyone involved: if you plan giving this formula a kick at the sequel can, tone down the over-the-top aspects of the cultural and thematic stereotypes, give Huard and Feore a truly decent mystery to solve, and build on their newfound partnership instead of having them bicker over trivialities like who's going to speak what language where. If you do this you may actually have a franchise on your hands. Just one more thing, if you decide to bring back Rick Mercer, make sure Huard does the audience a favor and have him put a bullet though his head.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
we are in trouble
conchie-225 January 2007
If this stands as the highest grossing Canadian movie we are in trouble. I will be more careful in watching a movie on a single recommendation in the future. You put together scenes of police incompetence, vulgar language,brutal torture, gruesome murder,child abuse,marriage breakup and call it comedy. Maybe somebody can enlighten me but I don't see any thing funny about these subjects. Ah but what about the great satirical takes on hockey, Anglo-Franco relationships etc.I can get that in a much better done and more enjoyable fashion by watching "R.C.A.FARCE" I watched this movie to the end for two reasons 1. tried but failed to get my rental fee worth of value out of it. 2.to give validity to my criticism of it.RENT SOMETHING ELSE Canadian AND KNOCK THIS POSEUR OFF A THRONE IT SHOULD NOT BE ON!!!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
vgoudreault5 August 2006
Despite being based on a somewhat overdone format -- that of two totally opposed policemen forced to team up to resolve a crime -- "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" still manages to come up with a quite entertaining story line, and all that was done with a total budget that would not even pay one half of some of Hollywood superstars. The movie is not without fault; the Bad Cop character (Patrick Huard) is essentially overdone. Chain smoking, foul mouthed cursing, authority defying, he recklessly drives a heap which regularly loses parts around, and is even beating up a vending machine, in short, this is unlikely that someone so headstrong would ever be admitted in a police force, let alone remain in active duty. That said, the movie does have its moments. The scenes featuring the hyper active medical examiner (Louis-Jose Houde) are brilliant (and the actor is not really acting, that is how he is in real life!) or when the Quebec policeman is teaching how to curse "en Quebecois" to his Ontario counterpart, helped along the line by the criminal he his beating and stuffing in his car trunk, are worth the prince of admission. Despite all the clichés that are expected of this format, the movie comes up like a most entertaining one, and no doubt this well served recipe will lead to a "Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2".
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An awful movie full of vulgarity and nasty violence, and not funny
TerryHub2 January 2007
This movie tries to use the gimmick of Canada's French/English rivalry as a launching point for some sick humor in the approximate vein of say, the Police Academy series. The effort though is much rougher and repulsive and relies on vulgarity and graphic violence for it's juice. Why do we care about these ridiculous, stupid characters? They are so unreal and unattractive. We learn the worst words to swear with in both languages over and over again. Ha ha. The characters continually engage in obscene violence and the ongoing gag is how the French police detective uses the method of transporting arrested suspects by stuffing them into the trunk of the official police car (or their own car). Lots of blood, mutilations, crashes and explosions. What a waste of talent all around.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Cop, Awful Cop
guillaumebarreau7 September 2006
This film is not worth watching. I thought I was going to see an interesting reflection about the cultural differences between Quebec and Ontario. What I saw is more like a B action movie, trying to be humorous at times but not managing to decide whether it takes itself seriously or not. At times, it has the nerve to attempt some cliché' emotional scenes which don't work at all. The plot goes nowhere and it gets more and more improbable.

Even the effects and music don't save the movie. Don't waste your time going to watch it ! If you are interested in seeing a film that says something interesting about Quebec and the Quebecois, go watch "Montreal-Quebec", "La face cachee de la lune" or "Un crabe dans la tete".

And if you are into suspense and action movies just try another one.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little bit of everything
shar9598-120 August 2006
I initially went to the movie with the attitude that I was supporting a Canadian film, and if it was crappy, oh well, I'd spent a lot of money on crappy Hollywood movies, what was the difference? I went with a group of co-workers, half of us anglo, the other half francophone -- and we ALL loved it. What was intriguing was that some of the laughs were just for them, some for us and most were for all of us. Because the movie was shown in Ontario, the subtitles for the french portions were in English, but even with a passing level of French, most of the jokes were visual enough to "get" without the subtitles. The movie was so real. Real people, real life situations (friendly ex's, difficult teenagers), very real emotions, and real laughs...the kind of things we really DO laugh at as Ontarians and Quebecois living closely to one another. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The only thing I found a little lame was the names they used for the main hockey league characters...a little too corny for my liking.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bon Cop Bad Cop is an excellent film!!
arlenedayj20 August 2006
This movie was excellent and the acting was amazing. This is a great movie that mixes comedy and the grittiness of a crime drama extremely well. I think that the chemistry between the two male leads was wonderful.

Lot's of action for the guys!! Lots of beefcake for the girls!!

I will definitely see this movie again!!

This movie was unique mixing the French and English language along with the attitudes of both cultures.

Go and see this movie and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

The plot worked because of the acting, which was excellent.

The French and English language only made the movie better and worth seeing.

I am waiting for the sequel.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good performances - not so good script
Skriptman19 August 2006
I really wanted to like this film. Here's a commercially-aimed buddy flick that's not afraid to be Canadian (gasp!) Colm Feore is dependable as always, and Patrick Huard does a nice job as a gruff Quebecois cop who lives in the flat above his ex-wife - so he can continue to be an involved, caring dad to their precocious daughter. The film is entertaining in spots, but suffers badly from not knowing exactly what it is. It begins as a gritty cop drama as evidenced by the opening torture scene that results in a body ending up on the Quebec-Ontario border -- hence the unlikely pairing of an Ontario cop with a detective from Montreal. But it weaves back and forth between solid action sequences and a host of off-kilter (and regrettably not very funny) comedic segments that are mostly lame and predictable. For example, when a marijuana grow-op explodes into flames, our two heroes end up stoned and can't stop giggling in front of the police Captain. Yeah, yeah, I know. It's about as funny as it sounds. Add a case of the munchies and an uncooperative vending machine and...well, you can see where this is going.

The film takes a rather unsettling turn toward broad parody when it introduces Harry Buttman as the conniving Commissioner of a fictitious professional hockey league with a penchant for moving Canadian hockey teams to American markets. Buttman is a mini-lookalike of Gary Bettman, the Commissioner of the NHL. Buttman, Bettman. Get it?? Golly, I can hardly stop from slapping my thigh either. Even the killer's motive (which I won't reveal here) borders on being so ludicrous it threatens to sink the otherwise solid dramatic elements of the story.

What gets lost in this mishmash of styles is a potentially pleasing film that, given the appeal of the main characters, could succeed, SHOULD succeed if only it knew what it was trying to say.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie... if you're in the right part of the country
pnadon20 August 2006
Very good movie. Intellectual? Well... that depends. Do you live in a bilingual country? See it. Hwever, if you're in Quebec, there are no English subtitles. If you're outside Quebec, there are no French subtitles.

I think that excluding subtitles regardless of the part of the country is a mistake by the distributors.

Other than that? There are no mistakes. One hell of a fantastic movie.

See it!! ( I've seen it twice. In both PQ and ON )

( 10 lines is required in order to leave a comment. Please note that I may have adhered to this policy by possibly adding unnecessary words and ideas that may or may not pertain to the actual comment - but most likely I have met the 10 line policy... I like to talk...)
A good start!
darkash185 August 2006
This movie was really good. No stretched useless moments, not too much naked people (like Quebec movie always have). This is just a good action movie. The only little problem was the drama part. Knowing that Patrick was an humorist more than a drama actor, it would have been more advise not asking him too much emotional scenes. Another little problem was the text of Gabriel when she was on the chair with the maniac. She was asking his father to come for her even if he was already in front of her. I don't know if it was a translation problem (I saw this movie in French).

I'm proud of that film. It is for the first time a really exportable movie.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good mix of French-Canadian and Anglo-Canadian humor!!!
nexusofjupiter3 August 2006
I'm from Quebec and here, we've been talking about this movie since we first heard about it. What would a movie be like if the main guideline to the movie are the cultural differences between french Canadians from Quebec and the anglophones of Canada, especially the Ontarians. Its hard to understand why this subject could be that great unless you are well aware of the situation or if you live directly in it. Basically, french from Quebec, and English from Ontario kind of...don't like each other. And its not only since the Maple Leafs and The Canadians hockey clubs exist, its from way back...Anyways, the movie itself has great acting from Patrick Huard (The Frenchy in the movie from which the idea of the movie came to) and Colm Feore (The stiff cop from Toronto. As the movie develops itself, these two fellas get in a lot of trouble and trying to work things out through their lack of understanding themselves. A joke doesn't wait another and the twists in the storyline are solid too. And if your a fan of hockey, you'll find the story even more interesting since it is the background of the plot and where team names and people names (The Montreal Patriotes for examples instead of the Montreal Canadians). In all, I think this movie is finally the one and only thing that all politicians in Ottawa wished for...a way to unite Canada and Quebec in a good jolly laugh!!!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What about the rest of us?
luckyhb1319 August 2006
I'm in, ahem, spirited energy land here - I liked it and wish that we could see more of this stuff, instead of so many US imports. Virtually every joke is cheesy and lame but there is always a joke at the expense of another. The acting is perfect for the film and the anal Toronto cop is well played as a stooge to the more gallant Quebecois cop.

The plot is diverting enough. It unravels nicely to allow some amusing Hockey jokes, which will obviously have mass appeal across Canada. I'd advise viewers not to leave too quickly as the dream Canadian hockey announcement is made. The premise itself is believable enough not to affect the film.

It's just one of those movies that makes you feel pleasantly entertained with a good few laugh aloud jokes.
Bon Cop, Great Movie
rykskelton19 August 2006
On the 'net many Quebecois have stated that they hope that this movie will gain an English audience, I assume because they think it too French. However, coming from a Kiwi in Canada that doesn't understand French, nor hockey, I found this movie to be thoroughly refreshing and humorous. I may not have understood half the jokes in the movie, but I the one's I did understand easily outnumbered the number of laughs from the so-called Hollywood comedies - and this wasn't strictly a comedy.

Not a "perfect" movie, as you might start wondering how certain elements of the plot came about or what happened to others (**minor spoiler** for example, was the marijuana only there for comic relief or was that a plot thread that wasn't tied up?), however "Bon Cop Bad Cop" is far superior to most of what Hollywood can produce. Even the action sequences weren't impossible martial art moves or cars leaping gigantic gaps in pavement, they were exactly what you would expect to happen in real life.

I hope this movie gets the recognition it deserves, as it is one of the best I've seen for a while. I can't wait for a sequel, and hope that the relationship threads left hanging are hints of more to come.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as anything made in the USofA or elsewhere
jeromemorrow14 August 2006
I couldn't bring myself to write a monolingual review on a very bilingual movie - one that celebrates and chastises us on the childishness of our cultural and linguisitic disputes. Colm Feore is, at 1st, sort of low-key to the loud/foul-mouth Huard, but he quickly gains our respect as a straight-man (with an edge), and some funny sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek humor. I'm quickly turned off by an over-abundance of swearing / violent-action-sequences, but in this movie - it fits the bill. The storyline is solid (not too many obvious gaping-holes) and the packaging is top-rated. Looking forward to a sequel.

***

I was going to a french component of my review but the IMDb engine forbids it ... a shame !
Great Movie, Great Fun
jeloca13 August 2006
Bon Cop, Bad Cop was a great, great, great, GREAT movie. Definitely one I want to own. It is about 40% in French, but don't let that deter anyone from going because there are subtitles, and it doesn't go too fast. I preferred listening to the French dialogue rather than reading the subtitles, because not everything translates smoothly and it was much funnier in French. What a hysterical movie! It's supposed to be a cop thriller, but there were so many truisms and so much humor injected that really there is hardly a minute that goes by when you're not laughing at something.

To sum up the premise, a killer is on the loose, and when a body is found half in Ontario and half in Quebec (don't ask!) a cop from each province is assigned to work together. The scenes in Montreal take place mostly in French (with much swearing) and the ones in Toronto are in English. Patrick Huard and Colm Feore are brilliant together, and I really hope this becomes a series, much like the Lethal Weapon series. The serial killer's motives are a bit unrealistic, but it doesn't matter because the movie is so much fun. That's the only reason I took off 1 point- I didn't buy the motive. But it didn't matter, because I still (clearly) loved the movie.

And let me just say how much I love seeing Montreal on screen when it is actually portraying MONTREAL! Too often our fair city is used to represent places all over the world- it is so refreshing to recognize an area and- lo and behold- it is actually supposed to be THAT AREA. There is a scene that takes place at Spurs, a country-western bar near my work. I love watching the movie and going "hey, I know that place!" Other scenes took place on Mount Royal, on our highways, at the Old Port and more.

And for a Canadian movie on a Saturday night- the place was PACKED. It started at 9:50pm, we got there at 9:45pm and barely found seats. People were coming in all through the previews and had to split up. Most of the audience was French but I really hope this movie finds a foothold with English audiences too, because it really was great.