Ant-Man (2015) Poster

(2015)

Second most underrated MCU film.
jstrohm-5835910 May 2019
Ant-Man is great Heist film disguised as a superhero film. With great performances all around, I'm surprised it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Definitely a must-see-movie.
78 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely fun origin story
masonsaul18 July 2019
Ant-Man is an extremely fun origin story and a superb addition to the MCU. Paul Rudd is incredibly charming in the lead role with Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas and Michael Peña giving great supporting performances. The CG is great and the action sequences are extremely impressive. The humour works really well and it's consistently funny. Unfortunately, it does suffer from the weak villain problem that some other Marvel movies suffer from.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minor Marvel, but still good Marvel
TheLittleSongbird30 May 2016
Having enjoyed a vast majority of Marvel's superhero output (more so than most) without worshipping them, 'Ant-Man' is a minor effort from them but there is still a good amount to like about it.

'Ant-Man' manages to be a better film than expected. The character is not exactly a household name and is always tossed aside in favour of other superhero characters like Spiderman that have had longer longevity and perhaps have more compelling origins and stories, hence why they are adapted more. Also wasn't sure what to make of the trailer, which made the film out to be rather bland and too reliant on humour.

Seeing it for myself finally a year on, 'Ant-Man' could have been better. While the humour mostly works wonders, there are a few instances where it's not so funny and not very well placed, like in emotional scenes that are actually quite poignant and then interrupted by a joke that is not only forced and unfunny but also not belonging in the scene. The family scenes are a mixed bag, sometimes they are sweet and touching while at other times they're a little flat and predictable, contributing towards a few rare dull stretches. Corey Stoll also goes through the motions as the rather generic and under-characterised villain.

On the other hand, 'Ant-Man' is a great looking film, it's beautifully shot, very atmospheric, is very slick and the special effects, mostly the rapid size-changing and with the ants, are clever and of the usual high-quality Marvel standards. The music avoids being over-bearing, one-note, too quirky or too bombastic, fitting well tone, mood and pace-wise. Direction is more than competent, keeping the story going at a solid pace and the telling of it interesting enough, though maybe a little more flavour may have been more welcome. While the action is not as much as most Marvel films, it is fun, thrilling, nicely choreographed and tautly shot and edited, especially towards the end. Admittedly there are a couple of cheesy parts towards the end too, but kind of in an endearing rather than jarring way and it doesn't jar with the rest of the film.

There is some very smart and hugely entertaining scripting and dialogue here in 'Ant-Man' too. While it doesn't work completely seamlessly, 'Ant-Man' is one of Marvel's generally consistently funniest films, and the film doesn't take itself too seriously or too much of a joke either, instead not being afraid to embrace the silliness and humour while ensuring still that the subject matter is treated with respect. It is especially good with the title character's deadpan quips and Luis' fast-talking patter. The story is mostly diverting, it's narratively simpler than most Marvel outings and less risks here are taken than most Marvel films but it always makes sense, moments of dullness and jarring are few (while not being completely absent either), it's fun and it doesn't try to do too much or try to insert too many characters while not playing things too safe either.

While not complex as such, the characters are mostly engaging and are not too one-dimensional, only the villain could have had more done with him. Paul Rudd is a strong and hugely entertaining lead, while Michael Peña's hilarious in a role that could have been really annoying. The seasoned support of Michael Douglas adds hugely too, and Evangeline Lilly gives the film some much needed heart. Anthony Mackie is good too.

Overall, minor Marvel but good Marvel. Well-made and a lot of fun, but there is a personal preference to the Marvel films that took bigger risks with more and often richer characters, bigger bolder action and more going on in the story. 'Ant-Man' executes a vast majority of its components really well indeed, just that Marvel has done even better before and since. 7/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought it would be
Dana_Sibilsky2 September 2015
Antman. When I first heard about the plans for this movie I laughed to myself and thought, "How can becoming smaller be cool?" Sure enough, Marvel has surpassed my expectations and turned something I thought would be lame and uninteresting into something hilarious and actually pretty cool. I'm not going to include any spoilers, but I will say the fighting style of Antman is much better than I thought it would be. I learned a lot about the story as well as the abilities he has.

Antman gets much more interesting when doing combat. The ability to shrink and grow at will is something Marvel has gotten very creative with.

The language in this film is good enough for my young children to watch. There are no F or GD bombs to ruin the mood and the moment with the family. I'd say I'd surely watch it again.
188 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best introduction to a new character!
Top_Dawg_Critic20 July 2020
Excellent story, just the right amount of comedy, perfect casting and performances, and great S/VFX!
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun off Marvel film
welhof124 November 2021
This is one of those MCU movies that are great but aren't that important in the overall plot of the MCU. Paul Rudd is great in this role. His personality really fit the character. The CGI was top notch. They did a great job shrinking things down. I wonder if he'll have a bigger part in the MCU. Anyway, great enjoyable film here. Worth the watch.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun introduction to a new MCU story
benjaminwest-2425 October 2021
Ant-Man is a solid addition to the Marvel film collection. Rudd and his co-stars take on their characters well, allowing for convincing emotional pieces and well advanced comedic plays. The visual effects are stunning, working with a somewhat new angle in particular for this film. Some of the plot works out a bit too "perfect," but it's an exciting story regardless. The editing throughout is well executed, too.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 legs bad; 6 legs better
bob-the-movie-man21 July 2015
OK, so I will probably target the wrath of a legion of fan-boys but as a PhD Physicist I will categorically state that much of the science in the Marvel universe is total nonsense. For example, it requires a certain suspension of belief that whole cities can be levitated. But it's called "Science Fiction" for a reason, right? "Ant Man" pushes that suspension of belief to whole new levels. The concept that a miniaturised man, were such a thing even possible, could exert the same moment and force as a full sized person would make Newton spin in his grave.

With these nagging doubts I watched the trailer increasingly comfortable in my view that, (even with a free cinema pass), this was a film I would avoid like the plague. That was until the final scene, featuring Thomas the Tank engine, that was ludicrously and surprisingly comical. Could it be that, like last year's "Guardians of the Galaxy", Marvel had pulled its pompous head out of its ass and come up with an 'Avengers-lite' that could entertain a broader audience? I decided to risk it. And I was glad I did.

Paul Rudd ("Friends", "Anchorman") plays ex-con Scott Lang who is recruited by brilliant scientist and would-be superhero Dr Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and his gorgeous daughter Hope ("Lost" and "The Hobbit"'s Evangeline Lilly) to steal a jacket. (No, really). The owner of said jacket, albeit a high-tech jacket, is businessman and all-round bad-guy Darren Cross (Corey Stoll), with evil intent. (You can tell he's evil by what he does to a cute little lamb - this is the worst viewing for sheep since "Far from the Madding Crowd".) By miniaturising Lang and securing the help of an army of ants, the stage is set for a heist of a most unusual kind.

This sounds ridiculous to even write. So why does it work? First up, the script by Edgar Wright ( of "3 Flavours Cornetto" fame), Adam McKay ("The Other Guys"), Joe Cornish and Paul Rudd himself is as tight as a drum, with some situations and lines that are downright hilarious. A couple of brilliant lip sync scenes, one featuring the requisite Stan Lee cameo, are grin-inducing pleasures.

Supporting the screenplay, the three leading players pull off their roles with enormous panache. Rudd is hugely likable, with all of the smart-whip humour of Downey Jnr.'s "Iron Man" but with none of the appalling arrogance. Michael Douglas, in his one outing this year, seems to be revelling in his role and (presumably with the help of some clever makeup and/or CGI) looking very dapper in the 1987 version of his character. And Evangeline Lilly enters the Avenger's world with a bang and looks very comfortable there. In an effective supporting role, Michael Peña ("American Hustle") adds a comic lightness of touch as fellow robber Luis. Abby Ryder Fortson also deserves special mention (and an Oscar for cuteness) as Lang's young daughter.

Whilst real fan-boys might object to the flippant nature of the film, there are a number of clever cross-overs into the 'mainstream' "Avengers" films, with one B-list Avenger guest star and (eventually) an A-list appearance. And (as is common in these films, and notable as 80% of the audience stayed in their seats for the full credits) there is both a mid-credits scene (that's a set-up for the sequel) and a final post-credit scene that (so I'd told) is hugely significant for next year's "Captain America: Civil War" (in which Rudd is set to reprise his "Ant Man" role).

The director is Peyton Reed, whose limited movie portfolio to date includes Jim Carrey's "Yes Man" and "Bring it On".

As I found myself thoroughly enjoying the experience, my rating, against all the odds, is twice what I expected it to be. I can't believe I'm saying this… but I recommend you go see this for a fun movie summer experience.
89 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was not expecting this... Brilliant addition to the MCU.
lukehiggs19 July 2015
AntMan is a lesser know character of marvels but by no means does that effect the quality of this movie. First off I thought that the casting of this film wasn't going to work, that been Paul Rudd mainly, just because I have read a few of the AntMan comics and didn't think it was going to work, I was wrong he is brilliant, hilarious and believable, all of the jokes he made actually made laugh out load which doesn't happen much. Michael Pena was great in this film, he plays the same kind of character he always seems too, but it really works, especially the story telling scenes were hilarious. This was a all round well cast film.

The action and CGI Was great, on first thoughts I thought when AntMan shrinks down that the CGI would take you out of the movie but let me tell you it doesn't, it's awesome! Especially seeing the world from that size and scenes where AntMan is shrinking and enlarging when fighting i thought would get a little too much but the honestly don't.

All around I AntMan felt different to all the other MCU movies that have come out, but a good different.    A well cast,directed and acted film that will be a welcome addition to my marvel collection.
223 out of 361 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1/10!
AnnaPagrati31 August 2021
I love Ant-Man! He's such a great & pleasant part of the MCU!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite Superhero Flicks
aidanratesmovies28 June 2021
By far the most underrated Marvel film ever made, Ant-Man is an incredibly fun little action flick that will make you smile from ear to ear. No drama, no bs, Ant-Man's pure focus is to bring a good time to the audience- and it truly succeeds. Between the fun visual gags, quirky sense of humor, and Rudd's charming antics- there is very little do dislike about this movie. The only flaw I really have with the film is the villain. Corey Stoll certainly tries his best in his role as Darren Cross, but it can often be a little too much at times, and his character itself feels rather thinly written- obviously to only serve the purpose of being the films antagonist. That all being said, the yellowjacket suit in the film is incredibly well done, and obviously the Ant-Man suit is perfect as well. Besides Stoll, I truly did enjoy all the performances at hand. Rudd is the obvious standout, capturing his signature charm into a peculiar hero I don't think I could ever get tired of. We also have the great Michael Douglas in a great supporting role, as well as Evangeline Lilly and Michael Pena as our other standouts. The film is incredibly entertaining from start to finish. It's almost two hours long, but you'll feel like you'll want more once the credits role, and even more after. In the end, Ant-Man is a criminally underrated little superhero flick (no pun intended) and just may be one of the MCU's best.

My Rating: 9.6/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Change From Marvel's Previous Movies
schwarz-155-50814825 September 2015
Like many people, I came into the theater wondering how Marvel would make the audience care about such a little-known character with decidedly unimpressive powers. It turns out they used the opportunity to make one of their best movies yet.

Ant-Man was not at all what I expected. I have been a fan of most of the previous movies of the Marvel Cinematic universe, but you don't have to be a fan of super hero movies to enjoy this movie. it has good pacing and holds your interest throughout. There are plenty of action and the fight scenes, but unlike the previous Marvel movies, this movie focuses on a heist. This, along with the comedy throughout, makes it a breath of fresh air in the Marvel universe. No Marvel movie since has so seamlessly bonded the genre of action and comedy.

The main character, Scott Lange, is not a billionaire or scientist or ancient god, and he doesn't have super strength or intelligence; he is a thief who deals with holding down a job and being able to see his daughter. This makes him incredibly relatable. Being played by Paul Rudd doesn't hurt either. Rudd, along with the rest of the cast, delivers a memorable performance. The idea of a father trying to reconcile his relationship with his daughter may have been used before, but Evangeline Lilly and Michael Douglas make it work without seeming trite or overused. The role that really stands out is Corey Stoll as Yellowjacket. He is, in my opinion, the most terrifying villain the Marvel universe has seen yet. He doesn't want global domination, he wants money and power, and that makes him a very believable villain. Stoll's performance is more three-dimensional than one might expect in a super hero movie, and adds to the already great cast.

Perhaps the most impressive part of Ant-Man was the visual effects. I saw this movie in IMAX 3D, and the quality was stunning. I don't like most movies in 3D, but this one worked well. The shrinking and growing looked very good as well as the action sequences. Although the action happens on a small scale, it can stand up to any of the other movies Marvel has made.

If you haven't seen this film yet, I would highly recommend it. The acting, directing, and cinematography all make this film highly enjoyable, even if you haven't seen any of Marvel's previous films.
92 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's f-ant-astic.
shawneofthedead15 July 2015
For a few brief moments, the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) looked like it was about to grind to a halt with Ant-Man. Unlike most other films under the Marvel Studios umbrella, this production has been haunted by doubt and dissension. Fans were nervous about the narrative decisions to relegate Hank Pym – the original Ant-Man in the comic books – to the sidelines, while killing off his wife Janet Van Dyne (who, as the Wasp, is one of the founding members of the Avengers). Then came that hugely publicised parting of the ways between Marvel and original director Edgar Wright, who oozes so much geek cred that people understandably mourned his departure from the project after years of development. And yet, the final product – Peyton Reed's Ant-Man – is a fun, frothy delight, one that proves once and for all that Marvel knows precisely what it's doing and where it's going with the most crazily interconnected movie-and-television franchise of all time.

After serving his jail sentence, Scott Lang (Rudd) just wants to reunite with his daughter Cassie and get his life back on track. But he soon discovers that people in the outside world – including his ex- wife Maggie (Greer) and her new cop boyfriend Paxton (Cannavale) – aren't particularly kind to former convicts. Beaten down by circumstances, he agrees to pull off one last heist with his eternally optimistic buddy Luis (Pena). It's a crime that places him squarely in the path of Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), a retired, semi-reclusive scientist who decides to enlist Scott in his life-long mission of preventing the Pym Particle – a technological breakthrough that allows him to become the super- small, super-strong Ant-Man – from falling into the wrong hands.

Truth be told, Ant-Man gets off to a somewhat shaky start. The tale of an honourable rogue who's looking for a shot at redemption is a well-worn storytelling trope, one that the film initially seems to embrace rather too eagerly. As we watch Scott soldier through a host of tiny indignities, the dialogue – still credited to Wright and his co-writer Joe Cornish, with rewrites by Rudd and Adam McKay – is uninspired, and oftentimes uncomfortably on-the-nose. There's no subtlety here, and the sense of fun that accompanies Scott's attempt to hold down a job in Baskin Robbins feels a wee bit forced.

But the film kicks into higher gear, and stays there, once Scott stumbles onto or, more accurately, steals his second chance. His discovery of the Ant-Man suit and all that entails – working with Hank, meeting Hank's aloof but eminently capable daughter Hope (Lilly), training to prevent Hank's former protégé Darren Cross (Stoll) from replicating the Pym Particle for sale to the highest bidder – give the story the shot of adrenaline it needs. In the blink of an eye, this superhero heist flick finds its feet, and transforms into a whirlwind of action, humour and heart. Reed's camera zigs merrily from Luis' unique method of exposition (brilliant) to Scott's attempts to survive Hope's training (bruisingly hilarious), before zagging into the dark, trembling heart of Hank's troubled relationship with his daughter.

Indeed, what makes Ant-Man work so well is its insistence on respecting its characters and taking their concerns and relationships seriously. This provides the film with an emotional anchor amidst all the madcap chaos and gleeful irreverence. Scott's overpowering love for his young daughter runs parallel to Hank's own concern for Hope, and even Paxton – initially caricaturised as the stereotypical brutish new boyfriend – is given layers and depth beyond what might be expected of a film that seems so silly on the surface. This culminates in the film's best action sequence: one that manages to be utterly ridiculous, as the camera cheekily zooms in and out of a conflict that's entirely proportional to the size of its participants; but also deeply heartfelt, when Scott makes a split-second decision between life and probable death.

For anyone concerned about Ant-Man subsisting in its own little bubble within the MCU, rest assured that there's plenty on display here to please even the most die-hard of fans. The film features not only a welcome cameo from a very popular agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., but also ties Scott firmly into MCU continuity with a hugely pleasing direct reference to Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The subsequent semi-aerial battle that takes place between Ant-Man and a certain Avenger proves that this miniscule hero has what it takes to stand proud alongside the world's mightiest champions. (Stay through the credits, by the way, for two incredibly exciting hints at what's to come for the MCU in the future.)

As with all the other films and television shows in Marvel's burgeoning media empire, the cast of Ant-Man is pitch-perfect. Rudd puts his goofy and amiably sexy charisma to excellent use as Scott, allowing us to believe that this one man can be as silly as he is strong, and as serious as he is funny. Lilly gets the big-screen role she richly deserves in Hope, who's acknowledged at every point in the film as being better, stronger, and more capable than the men around her think she is. Douglas plays a far more palatable version of Dr. Pym (who can be tough to swallow in the comics), and does so with his trademark charm and magnetism, while Stoll gives good psychopath as the increasingly unhinged, patently cruel Cross.

Ant-Man may not edge out the other films that make up Phase Two of the MCU in a straw poll – it does, after all, face some pretty serious competition in what has been an unbroken run of truly excellent superhero films. But it's an incredibly solid effort: smart, rich, deep and funny, teeming with ideas, genres and the potential for so much more. Now if that doesn't make for a great superhero movie, what does?
156 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie gets too much hate for no reason
silliohooie18 September 2021
This is the most underrated Marvel movie in my opinion. I heard so much bad about it, but I really enjoyed it! It was funny, full of action & had a wholesome ending.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
gianmarcoronconi15 August 2021
Good, colorful and light film that tackles big problems in a mature way but not too much with a good level of action and with a nice plot.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable movie with good humour and star power
snoozejonc5 August 2021
A cat burglar is released from prison and given the opportunity to pull a superhero style heist.

'Ant-Man' is a solid movie that entertains whilst laying some important foundations within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The plot is simple and brings the heist genre nicely into the MCU. Characters are well written and their motivations and objectives, once revealed, are clearly defined. There is a lot of exposition dialogue that slows things down and does not always work, but it is for the sake of character origins and the expansion of the franchise. A lot of the information provided in this movie is important for other movies like 'Captain America: Civil War', 'Ant-Man and the Wasp', and 'Avengers: Endgame'.

The characters of Scott Lang and Hank Pym are important within the overarching narrative of the infinity stones era of the MCU and they are brought to life superbly by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. Their performances make overly long dialogue scenes enjoyable. Other characters such as Hope van Dyne and Darren Cross function well within this story and are at times good fun. Evangeline Lilly and Corey Stoll are on good form.

'Ant-Man' has a nice sense of humour that is reflected in some comical dry banter and strong visual gags. The character played by Michael Peña in particular is good value for his screen time.

As you would expect from Marvel the visuals are fabulous. I particularly like the editing in the scenes that contrast action taking place at the miniature level with how it looks to those watching that are full-size. It is for me the quirkiest spectacle in the MCU.

I personally rate this as a 7.5/10 but I round upwards.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most underrated movie from mcu!
papanloveu31 July 2021
This film is One of the best Marvel films. It's more like a Classic Sci-Fi --- Creature Feature hybrid with a splash of super-hero fun for good measure.

Paul Rudd did a great job of being a guy who is struggling in life and has made some bad decisions even if they were for good intentions. He's got the humour right and played the action right as well. Michael Douglas was well cast as Dr. Hank Pym and the story was really good from start to finish. The humour in this film was brilliant. An Excellent Cameo from Stan Lee. The visual effects are fantastic. I thoroughly recommend seeing this film as it stands out well as it's own movie rather than a stepping stone for others. Final Verdict: One of the Best Marvel films.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the great MCU entries!
vithiet19 July 2021
I forgot to rate this one so I'm fixing it now! I've now seen this movie 3 times and it never gets old. Great origin story and Paul Rudd is excellent as the most unlikely hero possible. A great addition to the MCU you shouldn't miss!
Ant-Man
kaden_lewis21 June 2021
I thought this movie was really cool. I was a little skeptical about the acting choice for Ant-Man, I didn't think Paul Rudd was a great choice, but just like every Marvel movie, the acting blows me away. I am extremely happy that they chose Paul to do the role, he was great. I really like what Marvel has tried to do recently. Adding in new characters to the franchise (The Guardians, Wanda, Pietro, and Scott), I also like how they are trying to diversify their genres. The Guardians of the Galaxy was a hilarious action comedy, they tried to do that again with this movie, but they also added in the heists genre element, and I liked it even better when it was basically the whole plot of the movie. I also liked how we got to see something we haven't gotten to see yet in the Marvel universe, that being the superhero having a family. I really liked how we got to see it with and his daughter, I hope we get to see more of that in Marvel Movies.

Marvel never disappoints, and even though this movie wasn't the strongest of them all, it was still really good. It was also fairly standalone, and since this was a pretty PG movie, I recommend this as a good movie for a family movie night.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fast paced, exciting and enjoyable movie
jahter25 April 2021
Marvel has successfully continued the tradition of making a movie like a normal human movie, not a superhero.

The movie has very interesting and sometimes very funny scenes, The hero of seventy years ago successfully moved to 2015.

Cast is very good especially Michael Douglas is awesome,
Ant Man is astonishing.
ajetunmobimoji1 July 2015
This movie is incredible. A ton of fun with brilliant action and hilarious dialogue this is another fantastic win for Marvel. Paul Rudd plays a likable and charismatic hero who really makes you root for him and his goals. Michael Pena is the real heist of this film as he steals every scene that he is in. Corey Stoll as the villain was a fantastic choice from Marvel. He can play the corporate business man and an intimidating villain. The visuals are stunning in this film. All of the tiny ant scenes are visually outstanding and hilarious. The are two post credit scenes which are fantastic and really tie into the larger universe. Ant Man is a fantastic movie which is worth your money and I suggest that you see it in cinemas.
320 out of 582 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best superhero movies yet
subxerogravity17 July 2015
I went into this flick not expecting much. I'm not an Ant Man fan so I was not waiting in anticipation for this as much as I wanted to see Age of Ultron.

The character that Paul Rudd plays in this movie is not the Ant Man I wanted to see, and Micheal Douglas' role as Hank Pym, the original Ant man only made me want to see him dawn the suit even more, cause Micheal Douglas was everything a superhero should be in this movie, Charming, really good dialog, and ready for action.

Overall, Ant Man surprised me. It was one of the more unique superhero movies out. Ant Man did things far beyond just punching and kicking that a lot of superheroes are doing on the big screen and went places no other super hero could go making for an action packed adventure. As cool as Ant Man was when he was regular size beating up the bad guys, was as good as when he was shrunken, riding and controlling ants in a world only he can go to.

The villain Darren Cross was actually pretty good too. Not as good as Loki, but just as psycho.

Once again, not an Ant Man fan but this movie is changing my mind. I'm so impressed with what Paul Rudd did with the character.

Not only that, but it's a great Marvel comic movie, in how it intertwines with the whole Marvel cinematic Universe.

Definitely recommend seeing in 3D cause it's that type of movie that deserves it.
121 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mammoth in its Tiniest Form
Had it been too desperate and hopeless, ANT-MAN would have shrunk its way for admission to the almost-complete, Avengers team. But neither such concern nor saving the world from an impending catastrophic destruction, holds weight heavy enough to pull this miniature superhero from his top priority: winning back his daughter. The emotional weight of the narrative comes across as an anomalous content to the generally comedic structure of the film, but they serve purpose for the overall flow of the proceedings, nonetheless.

The film follows Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), who has just been released from prison after committing burglary. He has been prohibited to see his daughter due to his inability to provide financial support, no thanks to his being an ex-con that keeps hindering him from getting a job. He meets the highly-intellectual yet solitary scientist, Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), who has a job for him: pulling off a heist on his ex-protégé, Darren Cross (Corey Stoll), who is in possession of a size-changing prototype, that poses massive amount of threats to worldwide security. Using a military suit that allows him to shrink back and forth, in size, Lang carries on with the mission with the hope that by doing so, he would be able to reclaim and earn the reputation and respect he lost, especially his daughter's.

It's easier to see Ant-Man as a beautiful mess, rather than a well-crafted superhero flick with profound depth and sense . There's a lot of illogical nonsense that always nearly sends the film to wreckage, but there's also so much of the fun side to make up for the eventual narrative shortcoming. At the center of its comic efforts, Paul Rudd's Scott Lang/Ant-Man shines with his general amiability, pulling off his role with credible wit and comic allure. Rudd is such a delight here, and his presence and effortless take on his character make the mostly messed-up flow of the events, extremely palatable. There's also much to say about Michael Douglas, how his character, Pym, easily integrates well with Lang and his daughter, Hope (Evangeline Lily) , to provide a firm and well-knitted character framework. Corey Stoll, on the other hand, is less impressive, barely providing the needed threat to make his presence felt and his belligerence imminent. But on moments where he and Lang engage in beautifully-choreographed fight scenes, the ineptitude gets relegated below the more important aspects of the proceedings, and once it does, the breathtaking visual schemes work under the spotlight, capturing Lang's size-changing skill with epic elaborateness. There's magic in every size shift, and the visual artistry is at its peak to deliver the moment.

Perhaps, one of the most immediately-noticeable difference of Ant-Man from its Marvel fellows is that it doesn't engage, nor rush too much, to explosive battles that generally results to immeasurable destruction. It is noticeably evident on the fact that its most interesting and most jaw-dropping action setpiece, happens in a toy train set. Most importantly, this new addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe places its comic prowess at the center of its general effort to validate its entry to the franchise, and that is achieved without putting the natural action/adventure tendency of its superhero, nor the inevitable emotional nature of its characters, at risk of getting overshadowed by the rudimentary elements of the narrative.

It's actually hard to gauge ANT-MAN using the same measure that made the rest of its pack, mammoth and omnipotently powerful. But in its own right, and sub-atomic scale, this microscopic superhero is clearly a power behemoth, and it will surely spring back to its even bigger form, once the Avenger call is delivered.
156 out of 278 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Astonishing Ant-Man
lukecage6168 July 2015
This movie exceeds all expectations. From a tight and streamlined plot, to outstanding performances from the cast. This isn't a simple comedy. It's a movie with depth and heart. The cast gave great performances from top to bottom keeping the viewer engaged. Paul Rudd is another great choice as lead from the Marvel casting department. Michael Douglas gives a signature performance as Hank Pym, and Evangeline Lilly is another kick-ass female character in the MCU. Oh yeah, Michael Pena stills the show with his comedic timing. The action in this movie is like nothing you've ever seen. And the comedy was on point throughout. The heart of the movie is it's focus on a father's love for his daughter, and what he'd do to show that love and protect her. All in all an amazing release from the House of Mouse.
73 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic all around and definitely going to watch it again!
thierry-arnaud637 September 2015
Through this masterpiece, on par with, in my humble opinion, all other Marvel movies currently out in the Avengers Saga, obviously including the side series, Marvel has completely blown me away.

Character development, solid plot, fantastic humour and amazing cast all done flawlessly and did not leave me hoping for more, but rather asking 'When's the sequel coming out?'

With Michael Douglas and Michael Peña, having seen them both in previous movies where their performances are exemplary to say the least, I expect such mastery, but with Paul Rudd, and all the other actors, given this is the first movie in which I ever saw them, I had no idea what to expect. Complete success!

The fighting style of Ant-man is was as I expected since I have some background knowledge of the character, and yet I nonetheless could not have dreamt for such a good combination of just-enough special effects and fantastic actor performances! Ant-man is already brilliantly made, and it only gets more so during the combat scenes, for the ability to shrink and grow at will is something with which, to my great delight, Marvel got very creative, not holding back.

I'm trying to figure out when I can watch it again.
44 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.