Knocked Up (2007) Poster

(2007)

Clever Writing ....
Vic_max21 December 2008
Although the subject matter wasn't really appealing to me, the critics and general audience reviews are right: this is a very well made movie. The acting is great, the plot fast-paced, the characters believable and the dialog witty and clever. It reminds me of Superbad - another movie that I would never normally see, but one which wins you over by it's sheer (albeit crude) brilliance.

The basic premise is simple: a young TV reporter celebrates a promotion by getting drunk and inadvertently pregnant. The father-to-be is a good natured, pot-head slacker who has no money. When she decides to have the baby, she's not sure what her relationship with the father should be... and the movie progresses from there.

It's a simple plot but the dialog is what makes this movie shine. No matter the scene, it was always fun to hear what the characters were going to say. Even though most of them were one-dimensional, the dialog made them seem human and easy to relate to. A fast-movie plot also kept the movie moving along - something was always happening and there was never a dull moment.

While there is a certain level of crudity throughout, the movie is generally lighthearted and innocent. It's a fun movie to see.
62 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vulgar, Sure, But Certainly Not Stupid.
RabidED99022 October 2007
I've noticed a lot of the negative comments about this title tend to focus on this movie's vulgar, 'stupid' humor. Now let's get one thing straight. Knocked Up is vulgar, absolutely it is, but is is not stupid. Stupid humor is crap like "Mr. Woodcock" and "Good Luck Chuck," movies with no real craft to any of their jokes.

"Jessica Alba fell down!!! Ahahahahahaha!"

"He yelled 'sex' really loud!!! Pssshhahahahahaaheheheheeee!"

No. Die.

Knocked Up, on the other hand, is actually pretty clever most of the time. And even the movie's vulgarity isn't done in an over-the-top, simply-for-gross-out way (cite the fat bitch from Good Luck Chuck). It's what I guess you could call 'relevant vulgarity.' Anyway, the movie is extremely funny. Every joke is naturalistic, but not expected. The movie's characters are all convincing and multi-dimensional, and above all likable. Seth Rogan really does make the movie, though. He is hilarious, but he comes off more like a real nice, frank, down-to-Earth guy. Just the kind of guy you'd like to sit down and have a beer with. The kind of guy you'd more than like to get smashed with. The kind of guy you'd really like to have ill advised unprotected sex with. The kind of guy you'd love to raise a bastard child with. Needless to say, he's the reason the movie works.
266 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simple story is made into a very entertaining comedy
se7en18715 April 2007
Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) meets Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl) at a bar, they get drunk and have a little fun afterward, then they part ways. That is, until a few weeks later, Alison discovers she's pregnant and Ben is the father. This simple story makes up the hilarious film Knocked Up. I really enjoyed this, it has a lot of great laughs and it also has a lot of heart spread throughout.

Seth Rogen does an excellent job, I'm glad he's been given the chance to be the lead in such a big film. And Katherine Heigl is equally entertaining. The two of them are so great together, they're just so much fun to watch on screen. The supporting actors are also wonderful. Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd are perfect together. And I think Kristen Wiig steals the show with her small yet hysterical role as one of the workers at E!.

When people go to see this they'll want to compare it with 40 Year Old Virgin. Though I'm not a big fan of comparing movies to other movies, I guess I'll have to go through with it. For me, 40 Year Old Virgin is a funnier movie, but Knocked Up is a better written film and it has more heart to it. Both films based their story on a simple premise (a nerdy 40 year old hasn't had sex, a guy has a one night stand and gets the woman pregnant), but it seems like 40 Year Old Virgin used its idea to just get laughs. Knocked Up, on the other hand, uses its set up and continues the story throughout the film, developing its characters.

So, Knocked Up is a very enjoyable film, it has some big laughs (I particularly love the side story with the bearded roommate) but its also very sweet at times. I'm sure people will love it. See the movie and you'll get more than just laughs.
256 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Pregnant Pauses in A Sharp, Often Hilarious Character-Driven Comedy with Loads of Heart
EUyeshima2 June 2007
Probably because there is something fundamentally poignant about watching people you deem hopeless stumbling toward responsibility, this movie reminds me of the old Natalie Wood/Steve McQueen dramedy, 1963's "Love With the Proper Stranger", about a Macy's salesgirl who gets impregnated by a ne'er-do-well jazz musician during a one-night stand and then tracks what happens afterward. However, this is the 21st century, and the girl is now an interviewer on E!, and the guy is a very non-McQueen-like slacker in this uproarious and quite humane 2007 comedy, the latest work from writer/director Judd Apatow ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin"). In both comedies, he manages an amazing balancing act between a raunchy, post-frat hilarity and a shrewdly observed social commentary. Yet, there is no discernible fluctuation in the humor or the genuinely good spirit the films generate. Blessedly free of exhausting crescendo moments, the dialogue has a nice ramshackle feel and so do the characters. You really feel you want to know what happens to them after the film ends.

The story looks at the outset like your standard Hollywood opposites-attract rom-com as it centers on the burgeoning relationship between Ben Stone, the perfectly named definition of a slacker, and Alison Scott, the beautiful entertainment reporter. They meet at a trendy LA bar where she is celebrating her promotion to on-air personality. Ben buys her a beer, and she is impressed enough by his unexpected chivalry to keep him company. One thing leads to another, and you can guess the rest. But what you can't guess so easily is how these characters respond to the situation and to each other. There is also a surrounding gallery of characters offering their own opinions about what is developing, in particular, Alison's acerbic older sister Debbie, who is facing a crisis of her own as the control-freak wife of passively dissatisfied husband Pete. Their story intertwines nicely with the main plot line to the point where each makes the other more resonant.

Familiar faces from "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" return in this movie beginning with Seth Rogen, who proves he can carry a movie as Ben. Despite outward appearances to the contrary, his shaggy-dog demeanor and sometimes piercing self-deprecation provide much of the heart in the picture. As a last-minute substitute for Anne Hathaway, Katherine Heigl proves she can translate her natural likability on "Grey's Anatomy" to the big screen with ease. As Alison, she shows herself to be the rare actress who can be drop-dead gorgeous, smartly aware and genuinely non-judgmental. Apatow's wife Leslie Mann, who memorably demanded French toast while driving drunkenly through LA in "Virgin", is terrific as Debbie, an often-irritating mass of neuroses whom you somehow like despite herself. She has a great self-revelatory scene with a bouncer outside the same bar we see at the beginning. Paul Rudd plays Pete in his deceptively casual manner with a standout scene stoned in a Vegas hotel room.

Harold Ramis has a nice small scene as Ben's proud dad, while Ben's friends are an assortment of slacker-types played out like a well-tuned improv troupe. My one complaint about the film is just some of the sluggish pacing toward the last third of the film, the same problem I had with "Virgin". A running time of 129 minutes seems a bit long for the story being told here, though the birthing scene is hilariously executed, in particular, a scene-stealing bit by Ken Jeong as the passive-aggressive gynecologist called on to deliver the baby at the last minute. One other minor irritant are the deliberate references to "Virgin" in some of the dialogue between Ben and Pete. Regardless, this is one smart, heartfelt character-driven farce that far exceeded my expectations.
88 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can see what people admire and praise about it - but I think some are going too far.
MovieAddict20169 August 2007
"Knocked Up" is a well-made, enjoyable comedy about the consequences of an unprotected one-night stand. It has dual lessons for its lead characters: Seth Rogen has to learn to grow up and accept responsibility and Katherine Heigl has to choose between a professional life as a television interviewer or a possibly less rewarding (as she sees it) life as a stay-at-home mom.

And because it's Judd Apatow, he handles the sex gags carefully and with enough maturity that it doesn't become another stale sex comedy. But I think some people jumping on the Apatow bandwagon are so eager to praise him as the "Savior" of the sex-comedy genre that they are overlooking some of the film's flaws.

First of all, if we're going to be picky, the comedy isn't very consistent. Which is OK - I'd prefer it that way - but when you see reviews touting it as "the funniest movie of the year," expectations can't help but build.

I didn't think the acting was as good as in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." Seth Rogen is a great supporting actor - but I find him rather irritating as a lead character. His revelation at the end of the film, too, isn't very believable - they spend so much time focusing on his life as a slacker that the transition between him being a man-child and accepting responsibility is as realistic as a "Rocky" training montage; he has a heartfelt talk with his dad (Harold Ramis) and suddenly he's 100% willing to become committed. Okay.

I'm not a big Heigl fan, but she fit the role well here. Paul Rudd was the real scene-stealer, though. But he's thrown off-balance by the casting of Apatow's wife - can he PLEASE stop putting her in all his movies? She can't act.

Overall, this is an OK comedy - better than most of its genre - and the drama is more realistic than most sex comedies, but some people were so willing to jump on it as a "masterpiece" of its genre before it even came out that the hype just killed it for me.
43 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and Entertaining
claudio_carvalho17 September 2008
When Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl) is promoted in E! Television, she goes to a night-club to celebrate with her older married sister Debbie (Leslie Mann). Alison meets the pothead reckless Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) and while having a small talk with him, Debbie's husband Pete (Paul Rudd) calls her to tell that their daughter has chickenpox. Debbie immediately leaves the place but Allison stays with Ben, drinking and dancing along all night; completely wasted, they end up having a one night stand. Ben does not use condom and eight weeks later, Allison discovers that she is pregnant. She calls Ben and they decide to try to stay together and have the baby. But the immatures Ben needs to grow-up first to raise a family of his own.

"Knocked Up" is a funny comedy and an entertaining romance with a charming cast. Seth Rogen and the gorgeous Katherine Heigl show a perfect chemistry with their charismatic characters, very well supported by Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd, and I laughed a lot with the most hilarious situations. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Ligeiramente Grávidos" ("Slightly Pregnants")
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent, but I don't see what all of the fuss is about.
B_D12 June 2007
I went into the theater not knowing what to expect, not having seen the trailer, and two hours later I felt I had seen a decent movie, quite funny at times, but I couldn't figure out what everyone was making such a big deal about. Compared to a lot of what passes for comedy in the cinema these days, Knocked Up is great, but it's hardly the "instant classic" that I've seen it called in many professional and IMDb reviews. It's certainly worth seeing, but maybe at a discount matinée instead of a full-price evening show.

Much of what is wrong with Knocked Up is simply an over-reliance on Seth Rogen to deliver the laughs. To be sure, Rogen is a funny guy - he handled the jump from second-tier supporting actor (a la 40 Year Old Virgin) to leading man surprisingly well, appearing confident and charismatic. The problem is that as the film goes on, he just doesn't get a whole lot to work with from his supporting cast. Rogen doesn't have enough in him at this point to carry an entire film on his shoulders, but often he is forced into that role, providing the only humor in many scenes (especially in the second half of the movie). At times it almost seems as if Rogen has landed in the wrong film, delivering clever quips and laughs while the barely-likable characters around him remain too serious. Paul Rudd manages to break this up, taking some of the burden off Rogen, but Katherine Heigl and Leslie Mann's unfunny and quasi-sympathetic characters drag them down.

To be sure, the first half of Knocked Up is great, but by the second half the script becomes mired in slow, cliché drama. Marital dissatisfaction and the loss of youth are interesting themes to explore, but in doing so, Knocked Up fails to establish a consistent tone. As the film trudges past the 90-minute mark, it is sometimes humorous, sometimes dour, often clichéd, all resulting in an awkward mix of styles.

Overall, Knocked Up was a good effort, but a little more editing of the script would have helped a lot. I don't mind long movies at all, but 20 minutes could have been trimmed from this film to good effect.
324 out of 557 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Young America In The Eternal City
claudiaeilcinema21 October 2007
As I lived part of my life in the US, both coasts. I was able to read between the lines of the dubbed-into-Italian breakthrough Judd Apatow comedy and laugh. Most people dismissed it at the movie theater in Rome where I saw it. Thought it was vulgar and old hat. Vulgar? The Italians of the Massimo Boldi comedies thought it was vulgar?! "Knocked Up", besides making me laugh out loud and amusing me no end taught me a really important cultural lesson. We, in Italy, ride a very high (non existent) horse. I think the time has come for us to get off the horse and start looking at ourselves for what we really are - like we used to in Dino Risi, Pietro Germi and Mario Monicelli's films. "Knocked Up" is ultra sophisticated and yet, it reached a vast audience in the States because the sophistication is so amazingly smart. Seth Rogen is a real find. His eyes when he realizes Katherinre Heigl is going to stay with him that first and fatal night made me fall in love with his unlikely character. Katherine Heigl is another incredible discovery. Superb and stunning and classy to boot. Now, all this praise and I haven't even seen it in its original English version. I can't wait.
72 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over-hyped
Gordon-1113 August 2013
This film is about a successful TV presenter who gets pregnant after a drunken one night stand.

"Knocked Up" tells a story that a lot of people fear, and a lot of people can relate to. The two individuals in the spotlight are very incompatible with each other, and yet they try to be in a relationship for the sake of the unborn baby. The film s funny at times, but most of the time the five pot heads are far too annoying to be entertaining. Watching them acting irresponsibly like spoiled teenagers is not my idea of comedy.

I cannot help compare "Knocked Up" with "This Is 40", which is the sequel of this. I found "This Is 40" funny but fragmented; "Knocked Up" is cohesive but not so funny. I think it is over-hyped. If it wasn't for Katherine Heigl's charm and Leslie Mann's attitude, "Knocked Up" would have been a bore.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Judd Apatow is simply a genius
kirk-24613 May 2009
I liked Judd Apatow's first comedy,'The 40-Year Old Virgin'.When it comes to comedy,Judd knows exactly how to make people laugh until they beg him to make another movie.'Knocked Up'isn't just funny.It's a smart and refreshing movie that actually teaches a lesson:make sure you wear a condom when you have sex with a woman.But if you want a child,then do whatever that floats in your mind.The one thing that I probably dislike about the movie is it's running time.Even you probably wouldn't want to watch a really funny movie that lasts 129 minutes.But its definitely worth it when it comes to 'Knocked Up' and Judd Apatow.Grab some popcorn,get some friends,and laugh your butt off at this funny and brilliant comedy if you haven't already.
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Repugnant in Every Sense of the Word
Casablanca37844 June 2007
Absolutely disgusting. It has to be one of the lousiest movies I ever saw. Maybe the teens dig it as well as the early '20s crowd and why not? Doesn't their lexicon demand the noun F--- or the adjective F-----G in every sentence?

The gist of this mess is that a guy who needs a shave throughout the entire torture--a guy who doesn't work but instead hangs out with a group of potheads working on developing a raunchy website--a guy named Ben Stone played by Seth Rogen is lucky enough to have a one night stand with a most attractive TV personality called Alison Scott played by Katherine Heigl and an ACCIDENTAL pregnancy develops. Now what in the world Alison sees in Ben is beyond comprehension but too much liquor does odd things.

The rest of this abomination for a film centers around the pregnancy and the interaction of Ben's bum friends as well as Alison's classy gal pals. And the payoff is a few perfect shots of Alison's bare genitalia in less than comfortable circumstances.

The premise of the film is raunchy. The language is filthy. The whole drug scene is abominable. I estimate the picture is 30 minutes too long. Newspaper columnists are giving this excuse for a movie four stars? It's impossible to believe yet I must because there wasn't an empty seat in the entire theater. There would have been one in a half hour had I been able to get a refund.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A daily comment from Midget Emma: Knocked Up (2007)
I went into this movie thinking it was going to be another teen movie. But it wasn't this was more for the adults. It was funny, it was heartwarming and it had great performances.

This had jokes that seem like they took along time to write. Some of them i was sitting and then i yelled "oh i get it".

The guys who played Ben stones friends were excellent. They had some of the funniest moments.

I have to give a mention to Apatows kids. They were hilarious.

There were some unexpected moments that made it even more hilarious. It is definitely worth seeing. I recommend.

27 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic
snow0r20 August 2007
Knocked Up is a comedy about pregnancy, love, and marriage, that has far more intelligence and emotional depth to it than somewhat its flippant title would suggest. Ben (Rogen) is a layabout bum who lives with his stoner friends, "working" on a celebrity porn movie website. Alison (Heigl) has just been promoted at E!, and when she heads out to celebrate, their worlds collide with disastrous and of course hilarious consequences.

The comedy is clever and insightful, loaded with little self-referential moments and pop culture references (the Munich one is particularly awesome), and while it occasionally veers toward the puerile, the movie's subject matter ensures that the humour remains considered and intelligent for the most part. The performances are outstanding, but not just in terms of comic timing. Rogen appears built for this sort of balanced role as he realises that he has to grow up to meet the challenges of relationships and parenthood, and Heigl is just as effective as she learns to accommodate Ben's lifestyle and releases her grip on her career. The support from Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann is also brilliant. While their conflict-ridden marriage doesn't make them the greatest of role models for Ben and Alison, it certainly provides lots of laughs, and the clashes between Mann's overly paranoid Debbie and Rudd's laid-back Pete provide an interesting projection of how Ben & Alison's relationship could turn out.

The Rudd & Rogen moments make for some of the movie's better lines, but their humour is finely balanced with that emotional depth that I mentioned before, making the characters far more than punchline machines, which benefits the movie immeasurably. The awkward intimacy of Ben & Alison's almost-forced relationship also provides touching and comic moments, as Apatow examines what happens "when life doesn't care about your plan". Even the serious, emotional scenes are laced with a sort of ironic, bittersweet humour, which again gives the characters a sense of realism but also makes the movie that bit more comfortable and reassuring.

A subject that could have been treated with a crass touch, Apatow remains in tune with his previous effort, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and chooses to focus on the impact the pregnancy has on the lives of the characters, allowing their actions and interactions to create the comedy as they come to terms with their new situation. His light touch makes Knocked Up touching, insightful, and very, very, funny.
47 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWESOME MOVIE!!! If you are twelve
TheTwistedLiver3 November 2007
After my friends, who I consider moderately intelligent, raved about this movie for weeks, I decided to rent It, hey why not? I'd give it a shot. The movie was a total rip off, not funny, waste of time. The underlying premise is not believable, thus every thing that happens after the initial one night stand is pointless. I don't know what star system these characters live in, but I have been to many bars and have never seen a girl that looks like Kathryn Heigl go home with a guy who looks like Seth Rogen after just meeting him at a bar no matter how drunk or how much tic she has snorted previously that evening to have unprotected sex on a one night stand. How stupid and desperate is this girl? and on top of that we are supposed to believe she is an otherwise intelligent A-type personality who has it together who just made a mistake? For a guy who looks like Seth Rogen, knocking up that girl and having her keep the baby is the equivalent to winning countless scratch and win one dollar lotteries. On top of that, no women I know are dying to go out with fat, unemployed, pot heads, no matter how funny and how big their jew-fro is or how many stains they have on their shirts, I know this because that is what I look like. It's just a movie you may say, NO this was an insult to everyones intelligence involved in the film, watching the film or citizen of any country where this went to number one. On top of all this, we have a scene of Ryan Seacrest losing it off camera, like we are getting a glimpse into his non American Idol real personality, WHO THE $$$$ CARES ABOUT SEACREST? This was weird and not funny, edgy or smart. The scene with the bouncer was awkward and strange, I don't know what they were going for but in the world I live in you don't call someone a "Faggot" for doing their job and if you do you deserve to be pimp slapped. The only good thing about this film that I did enjoy was it strangely resembled watching a car wreck or trainwreck, it was mildly entertaining to see how low it would sink which too me I can go to a kindergarten class during recess and watch the kids play outside in the mud and get the same effect for free. His friends were lame and uninteresting, countless jokes about one of them having a beard, wow, lets think of how many times we can come up with different names to call a guy with a beard that is so funny! The Asian girl who was laughing at everything was unlike any stoner I ever knew, and I've know hundreds, The dialog which was supposed to pass for edgy or witty was just plain stupid and embarrassing, not embarrassing as in the Amish would blush, but embarrassing in the way that if you have more than a modula oblongata operating your bodily functions, and have conscious thought, you are sad and stunned that humans can pass this off as conversation. these are the types of people I have gone my entire life trying to avoid why would I want to watch a two hour movie with them? I'm amazed that this film made so much money, truly what passes for humor in this country is unbelievable. I'm moving to Canada as soon as I can find a time machine to take me back to 1977 when SCTV is just beginning and Saturday night Live is peaking. Truly we have lost our comedic way
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly inane
dkncd28 August 2007
"Knocked Up" follows a painfully simple premise as its title suggests. A respectable woman and an irresponsible man meet at a bar and after alcohol consumption there is an unexpected pregnancy. Apparently there's supposed to be humor in the fact that he didn't bother to use a condom and she didn't bother to check whether or not he used a condom.

The "hilarity" is supposed to ensue from there. However, it does not and the jokes are mostly inane with a lot of low-brow humor, profanity and random unfunny movie references mixed in. I found the characters in the movie to be simply irritating rather than amusing as was intended. The only exception was Harold Ramis' character, who has a decent cameo appearance.

I was unfortunate enough to be subjected to "Knocked Up". Hopefully you will be more fortunate and avoid seeing this movie.
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated but Still Pretty Damn Funny and Touching
MichaelMargetis21 November 2007
Pete: Marriage is like a tense, unfunny version of Everybody Loves Raymond, only it doesn't last 22 minutes. It lasts forever.

Going into 'Knocked Up' I was expecting a lot. After seeing his last film, the side-split-tingly funny '40 Year Old Virgin', I noticed I was quickly becoming a big Judd Apatow fan. If I were to say 'Knocked Up' met my expectations, I'd be lying. Honestly, I loved it, but I was expecting so much more from it than great one-liners and a good story. I was expecting one of the funniest movies I've seen, and that's not what I got. 'Knocked Up' is very funny, but there's only one or two scenes where the funny level drifts into the 'hysterical' zone, so to speak.

The story is kind of familiar. Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) is an out-of-shape ambition-less pothead. In most cultures we'd call him a loser. He and his less classy but very entertaining friends; Jay, Jason, Jonah and Martin, run a website that tells you exactly how far into movies hot celebrities get naked. Too bad none of them ever heard of Mr. Skin.com, a revelation they have later in the movie and find disheartening. One night, Ben and his buddies are at a club getting sh__t-faced, and Ben meets Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl), an extremely attractive E! news anchor, and they have a drunken hook-up. Eight weeks later, Alison finds out she's pregnant due to Ben's condom mishap. Like anyone with a brain in their head could have predicted, Alison tells Ben, and Ben decides to take on the responsibilities of being a father. The two slowly start to fall in love with each other during the ordeal.

As far as the acting goes, I was pleasantly surprised. Seth Rogen surprised the hell out of me in his capability as a leading man. His acting isn't half-bad and he's very convincing in his role consistently through-out the film. Rogen is also hilarious for the most part, in both his dialogue and screen presence. Katherine Heigl also gives a merit-able performance. She's not nearly as funny as Rogen, but she's not over-the-top like most female leads in these kinda movies (like Jennifer Aniston in 'The Break-Up' -- pbbt!) I've heard from many people Heigl is good in 'Grey's Anatomy', but I wouldn't know, I don't watch that stupid friggin' show. Leslie Mann is humorous as Alison's annoying sister, and Paul Rudd is excellent in his role as Alison's sister's husband who compares marriage to a very long and unfunny episode of 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. Rudd, whose proved himself with commendable work in 'The Shape of Things' and 'The Cider House Rules', is without question the best actor in the film and his performance adds a lot to it. 'Knocked Up' also has a number of interesting cameos from people like Ryan Seacrest, Jessica Alba, Steve Carrell, and my personal favorite, Mo Collins as a gynecologist.

Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen's writing is perhaps the strongest aspect of the movie in most cases. Apatow and Rogen provide some ingenious one-liners that in more ways than one are the saving grace of the movie when it gets kinda boring towards the final 20 minutes. But that's the thing -- 'Knocked Up' relies on one-liners instead of big extravagant physical comedy sequences to make it funny. This is where one of the biggest problems of the film lies. This would be fine if the one-liners were more prolific than they are here. There's just too many dull blocks of time in 'Knocked Up' to make this type of comedic approach work as successfully as it could.

You may think by reading my review, I hated the film, when in fact I really quite enjoyed it. I was just sorely disappointed in it. There are many parts in the film that are genuinely funny and the film isn't sappy in it's dramatic moments, it's just such a let-down from '40 Year-Old Virgin', 'Borat', or some of the other REALLY good comedies that have been released in the last two years. But there is a lot more to like about the movie, than there is to dislike about it. I recommend it to anyone looking to have a fun time at the movie theater in a year where movies just flat-out suck. In a summer where the god-awful 'Spider-Man 3' and sleep-inducing 'Pirates 3' lead the box office, 'Knocked Up' is a freakin' godsend. Grade: B+
24 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just not as funny as I thought it would be
Ed-901 July 2007
I just don't find people constantly screaming "f--- you!" (or at times, omitting the "you") very funny in itself. The characters' intensity was very draining, directed at each other, at those they loved, at perfect strangers, or at themselves. The characters had no obvious means of support, nor did they have any jobs or occupation, or family commitments. They seemed to caricature the oldest California stereotypes.

But to me, what was most discomforting was the anti-Muslim "banter" early in the film by the group of boys (men?) who had been clearly identified as being Jewish several times in the film. Maybe that was to give it a certain "edginess" that unrelenting sexual references no longer provide? Anyway, I found the movie to be unbelievable and tedious, and I waited out the last 10 minutes in the lobby.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i was expecting more because...
MLDinTN19 May 2008
of all the great reviews I heard about this film when it was in theaters. I thought it was OK, nothing great. I hardly laughed, but it was amusing. Alison is a reporter for the E channel and just got a promotion. So, she celebrates at a club with her sister. Her sister goes home leaving her by her drunk self. She starts chatting up Ben and takes him home. One thing leads to another and 8 weeks later discovers she's knocked up. So, she must contact Ben again. She realizes she is having a child with an overweight, non-working, pot smoking, mid-20 year old loser. But for the sake of the child she decides to get to know Ben and they date. She soon thinks they won't work out because he does drugs, doesn't have a job, etc... But, Ben wants to make it work so shows enthusiasm and wants to make changes.

There is subplot between Alison's sister and her husband. They seem to be a happy couple, but more or less got married because she got pregnant. Allison doesn't want to make the same mistake.

FINAL VERDICT: Could have been funnier. Not as good as 40 year old virgin. But check it out if you like adult comedies.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Fun
Michael_Elliott27 February 2008
Knocked Up (2007)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Hilarious and often times touching story of a slacker man (Ben Stone) who knocks up a woman (Katherine Heigl) after a one night stand and the downfall that follows. This is from the same man who made The 40-Year-Old Virgin and like that film this one here isn't afraid to attack stereotypes but the director is smart enough to add some serious moments to the mix. We've seen countless raunchy comedies in the past but this film here throws in a heart and some serious moments that makes the film a lot better than it would have been in lesser hands. Rogen and Heigl are terrific together and the supporting cast including Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are just as impressive. I watched this with my girlfriend and we both really enjoyed the film but we also say things differently just like the men and women in this film.
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
SnoopyStyle22 March 2014
Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) is a weed smoking party animal and leader of his pack of friends. Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl) works at E! living with her sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and her family (Paul Rudd, Iris Apatow, Maude Apatow). She's getting promoted to an on-screen position. Then after one drunken night at the bar, they end up in an one-night stand.

Writer/director Judd Apatow is bringing the mj smoking, gross out, inappropriate comedy to a new frontier. It is one of the few pregnancy comedies that work. Seth Rogen is great as a lovable slob. Leslie Mann and her kids are hilarious with Paul Rudd. Where baby comes from has never been funnier. His gang is chalk full of crazy funny Apatow alumni. It's a sweet hearted comedy for everybody with a good sense of humor.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Knocked Out Early.
tfrizzell28 June 2007
A whirlwind one-night stand between loser Seth Rogen and aspiring Entertainment Channel interviewer Katherine Heigl leads to a surprise pregnancy that changes each of their lives, and seemingly everyone else's lives, forever with would-be heartfelt and hilarious results. Another example of the one-joke pony that would not die as "Knocked Up" is a vulgar, mean-spirited, and uneven mess which puts an admittedly likable cast into a cinematic nightmare of epically pretentious and interminable proportions. Basic sitcom ideas that are not funny are randomly replaced with sudden dramatic turns that are sadly more laugh-inducing than the actual waning attempts at humor. Somehow a film which has developed a rather strong box office and critical following, but nothing more than an ugly stepchild of a movie with no real noteworthy qualities. Disappointing and totally forgettable. 2 stars out of 5.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just hit 60 minutes.....I haven't laughed yet
LoveGoodFlicks13 September 2007
I'm obviously getting old and wise....

Love Heigl, but sorry these two have no chemistry and there's just no laughs!! While the Stone character is a nice guy I can't see Heigl falling in love with him because he's sweet...and the premise that falling preggers and the guy will do the right thing is not really based in this day and age.

I don't know who did the marketing on this one but they were worth every penny...because the movie certainly doesn't deliver.

If you haven't seen this wait for it to be on TV...it's not worth buying the DVD.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
She is having a baby
Prismark1015 April 2014
Seth Rogen and Judd Apatow make a film about relationships and pregnancy as slacker Rogen knocks up Entertainment reporter Heigl. The film makes observations about relationships and flawed people getting along with each other which is rare. I think at no point are people intentionally mean to one another which is rare in a Hollywood film.

The film has the usual gross out humour dealing dope and sex. The men act liked doped up adolescents with an interest in building a website that points out when the actors get naked in movies yet in the film Heigl always has sex with her bra on.

However as a comedy the film is less successful, it failed to even make me chuckle slightly, its also overlong when it should had been snappier and I never really bought the relationship between Heigl and Rogen as a couple who would ever get together for a one night stand, never mind be with each other whilst she is expecting.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't live up to the massive hype but is still enjoyably fresh and funny despite the rather dodgy moral message under the surface
bob the moo28 April 2008
Alison Scott is a production assistant on E! Entertainment who finds herself offered a spot in front of the cameras. She goes out with her married sister to celebrate in a club and there she meets the friendly but terminally unemployed Ben Stone and his stoner friends. Drink + music = a one night stand where Ben clumsily misinterprets an instruction from Alison and has unprotected sex. The next morning sees Alison faced with a curly haired, flabby man washed up in her bed and a brief breakfast leaves her in no doubt that she can do much, much better. However two months later and Alison is throwing up much more than she used to and finding she is pregnant decides it only right to get in touch with the man totally unprepared for the news that he is to be a father.

Hearing about this at the time of release you would have thought that it was the second coming of the Messiah. I was in New York during its run in theatres there and could not avoid posters hailing it the film of the year and the hype continued when it arrived in the UK. Not really being into teen comedies, I sort of dismissed it and moved on. When it hit DVD I decided to give it a try and found something that is not totally worthy of the hype it received but certainly better than the crude teen sex comedy that I had the image of it being. What it actually is is a pretty natural and engaging comedy based around people who are, if not "real" then at least recognisable. The dialogue is quite snappy and the comedy mostly avoids being broad or crude and on the contrary manages to be really well observed at times (the rather bitter woman in Alison's manager's office being a favourite of me and my partner).

The characters do help and for some will be really recognisable. I don't really know people like any of them but the feelings and actions mostly feel genuine and real to me and I did care about them to sufficient extent that my interest was maintained even when laughs were not to be had for a bit. Speaking of genuine actions though, the one thing I would say that struck a sour note was the rather strange moral decisions taken where two people stumble into this relationship due to the child. I appreciate that it is not a subject for this film so much as a plot device to set up the story but it still didn't ring true to me and wasn't helped by seeing the topic being handled much better in Juno (where it was also not a big political message either). That said Apatow's script does bring out valid themes and it is these that see the film be convincing and feel quite real. Dissatisfaction in long-term relationships, fears, worries, the passing of youth etc are all there to be seen within the characters and, while not a searing comment, the film is smart and natural with it.

The cast mostly respond well to this although it is clear that the vast majority work best with the comedy material. Rogen is not totally up to the task of leading a film, but he is funny if nothing else. In the more demanding aspects of the role? Well, I'm not totally sure. Heigl is charming and beautiful but almost to the point where the central relationship is made less convincing. I would have preferred a less stunning actress in the role as it would have covered for the lack of doubt in her character and also been more interesting in regards Ben's choices. Anyway, she is quite amusing and she is more comfortable in the more dramatic moments in the film. Mann is OK but Rudd is better. The support cast of stoners etc are mostly funny but my favourite turn is from Wiig who is wonderfully bad at concealing her tired bitterness while also going along with the bosses to keep her job.

Overall then, Knocked Up is an enjoyable and fresh comedy that is funny while also having natural characters that I either cared about or recognised enough to be interested in. Not totally convinced by the fudged morality of the film or the way the central relationship goes but Apatow's script is funny and interesting enough to cover up for the weaknesses he has also created. Don't believe the hype but it is still fun.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Boy Meets Girl" with a twist in a modern love story
screenwriter-141 June 2007
KNOCKED UP is an extremely entertaining film which has real dialog that rings true for singles who meet today, have sex and then discover that a baby can throw their whole lives off, as well as take them on an unexpected journey that neither would have dreamed of. Seith Rogen is such a modern man in every context of the word-out to get screwed, have a good time and just"party hearty" until Katherine Heigl steps into his life through a bar encounter and changes everything. The chemistry between Rogen and Heigl just feels right on the screen.

The male bonding between Rogen and Paul Rudd is terrific to watch as at last each has a male friend that truly understands one another. The frat house atmosphere of the "party males" rang true and their never ending beer busts, porn films and wanting to get laid are real to men today, as well as yesterday. Men and women issues come out on the screen with a great sense of frustration each sex feels for the other but KNOCKED UP delivers these issues in an amusing fashion.

The audience in Westwood (Los Angeles) really enjoyed the film and the laughs kept rolling along with the picture. The growth of the relationship between Rogen and Heigl is marvelous and the last scenes are just wonderful. So, "boy meets girl", "boy knocks up girl", but in the end what they deliver to each other is very special. I loved this film.
20 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.