High School Musical (TV Movie 2006) Poster

(2006 TV Movie)

Disney Channel Was On Some Other S**t Back Then.
colorthekid2 February 2020
Re-watching this as an adult made me realize that I had no idea what good writing was back then, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Maybe because of the songs or the nostalgia factor, but I honestly feel like I can watch this over and over again and not get bored.

Even though I'm aware that High School Musical is not at all a "good movie", I can't deny that it's a fun movie. and nostalgia doesn't allow me to express anything other than love for it.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Musical Delight!
NikkiSweet20 January 2006
"High School Musical" was a movie that can pick you up and make you "dance". The songs were great especially "Get your head in the game". With some dance moves, the movie also added great humor,"love",and for those jocks out there BASKETBALL! The actors rocked the stage and just made the movie a teen can watch and who knows maybe one or two can relate to "Troy"(Zac Efron),"Gabriella"(Vannesa Anne Hudgens),or even "Sharpay"(Ashley Tisdale). Disney has proved itself once again as the movie magnet! Like other movies "Right on Track", "Go Figure", "High School Musical" is a great movie which you can sit with family or with friends and enjoy and you never know when you might be singing along!
234 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Hideous
chilipepperz918214 July 2006
Maybe I'm just a weirdo. After reading all these other reviews, I'm pretty sure that I am. Or maybe it's just because I've been performing with musical theatre companies since I was about seven, so the idea of a musical isn't something novel and new for me. But every time I tried to watch this movie, and every time I heard somebody talk about how great it was, I just couldn't help but CRINGE. Not only was this another long shot for the young Disney stars to prove their "versatility", such as it is(n't), but it was yet another show about the magical clichés and drama of high school, something I'm getting absolutely sick of. I have to go to school every day and deal with petty high school drama; why would I want to come home and listen to people SING about it? Seriously. At least REAL musicals that used those themes, like Hairspray and Grease, had actual talent behind them, as well as good songs and actual FUN. Not a bunch of pretty-boy jocks smiling cheesily and singing about how much they love basketball. The whole production was so shallow...I still haven't been able to sit through the entire movie. I've had to watch it in sections of twenty minutes, just to be able to stand it. And something that ESPECIALLY bothered me: the representations of the people in the drama club. Dude, that teacher? "Brava"? You've got to be kidding me. And then that little drama queen and her wimpy brother...so, so cliché. I haven't met anybody like any of those three since I was, like, ten. And I know, I know: it's just a corny little Disney movie playing up the clichés. And for about half a second, characters like that might seem kinda funny. Then try going to school the next day and hear people asking you if you've ever had a director like that teacher, or asking how you can possibly be a "real" theatre person because you don't seem obnoxious enough...it gets old. This movie sucked. Why do people like it so much?
342 out of 561 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good
emmad0420 January 2006
This was a overall good movie by the Disney Channel's standards! I, being 18 years of age and sitting at home on a Friday night to watch it, am happy to say I sat through the entire thing happily! This movie is for adults and kids and also brought me back to high school even though it was only a year ago! The music brings meaning to the story and without it the movie wouldn't be complete which is why it is called High School Musical! I hope everyone who sees it enjoyed it as much as I did!! If Disney keeps up at this rate all the new actors and actress, singers and everyone will be the new product of them! Look at Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Raven, and many others! This movie has a few soon to be rising stars in it! Good job Disney!!
246 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
too cute!
michelle_janz23 August 2006
high school musical is an awesome movie and i recommend it to everyone! Zac Efron is so hot! anyways , its a great movie and the story is so cute. this movie has an awesome cast with amazing voices. the movie has awesome songs , voices - and not to mention all of the sweet dances. its the kind of movie that u fall in love with and just wanna watch over and over again. its definitely aimed at girls and its one that u can always watch with your girls and swoon over Zac Efron's hotness!there is also supposed to be a sequel coming i out during summer of 2007 so ill sure be watching it and once u watch this movie you will too! anyways , be sure and watch next time it airs or pick up a copy. p.s.- it has an awesome soundtrack too! It starts off when Troy Bolton (a basketball superstar) meets Gabriella (a pretty genius) at a new years eve party on vacation when they are chosen to sing together for a karaoke contest. when Troy goes back to school to find that she is the new girl , they must both make hard decisions- should they do what they're heads are telling them to do ( which is to stick with basketball and smarts to do what they're friends want) or go with they're hearts and sing together.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh it was excellent!
lyrischertenor21 January 2006
It was just sooooo great! So much fun, too!! It's like every high school musical theater junkie's dream. Everyone was just excellent and the directing was superb. And I love the message this movie sends to young minds, that you explore other facets of expression other than the one that's socially acceptable. And I love the little undertones and subtleties throughout the film. And I love how all the tough mean hard guys are CLEARLY dancers in real life. I was muy impressed!! Everything and everyone was perfect. From the clothes, casting, choreography, sets.... it all looks like a dream. And in beautiful clear New Mexico. Who could want anything more!
240 out of 437 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superior Performance
rabid_monkey20220 January 2006
I expected the movie to be good, but it's great! Each of the actors did a superb job bringing his or her character to life. The choreography was brilliant, the songs beautiful. I thought the male lead would be disappointing, but he wasn't in the least. This has to be one of the best DCOMs (Disney Channel Original Movies) made yet, if not the best. Watch it! You won't be disappointed! It should be made into a real stage musical. The plot line was engaging. Very much a feel good movie. I appreciated how clean it was, with no swear words or immodest clothing. Most of the time I get sick of watching all the promo stuff on Disney, but not with this movie.
134 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the taliban might even approve
toreadorable29 August 2007
Romantically entangled High Schoolers who don't kiss? Students who drink milk with their lunches? A "be true to yourself" message that includes all the timidly heterosexual students (none of whom struggle with their sexual identity)? Ridiculously stereotyped faculty members and parents who can do no wrong by their kids?

As many have mentioned, this is a shameful throwback to the early-mid 20th century.

I'm not sure whether this paints a more bleak picture of the Disney operation or of a wide swath of the downward-spiraling American culture.
59 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was hideous.
hadertjou1222 May 2006
I can understand The Disney Channel when they try to aim toward a children's audience but when I have to listen to the awfully fake singing that is blasting from my younger sister's room as they play the movie constantly, it begins to irritate. One day, I decided to give Disney a chance by actually bearing to watch the movie. Right as it started I began to feel embarrassed for the ACTORS! It was some of the worst acting and singing I have ever heard. I tried my hardest to sit in on the whole thing until it went to the cafeteria scene (if you could call it a cafeteria, more like a Chucky Cheese cruise-liner dining room). I started laughing not because of their failure at being funny, but just how annoying the song was! I immediately turned off the TV and kept laughing. I say that Disney should stick to it's roots and stop airing shows that include ONLY high-schoolers when the viewers are between ages 4 and 12. The messages these shows are giving are either giving children the wrong idea or just going right over their heads. A 1 out of 10.
140 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are You Kidding Me!!
CowsOnlyMooForSoLong5 August 2006
OK first I want to say i did NOT watch this on my own initiative! I was FORCED to watch this movie and I must say that hour and a half I will never get back! I wasn't expecting much and I was still severely disgusted that I had to watch this movie.

The movie not only features bad actors and OBVIOUS lip singers, but it also has terrible lines and terribly stereotypical characters! There is the jocks, the nerds, and the preps! This movie portrays high school a place full of cliques which is also a stereotype! Though it tries to portray a good message, the amount of stereotypes in the movie almost negates the message its trying to send! This is a terrible movie, even by made-for-TV Disney standards!

PLEASE!!! If someone tries to make you watch this movie do NOT give in! You will be bored, sickened and you will have severe distain for the person that made you watch this poor excuse for a movie.
114 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best DCOM Ever
jay-mann-120 January 2006
This was the best DCOM ever it had everything I wanted in a Disney movie.It was so just amazing and just plain awesome.I will be watching it again this weekend.Plus it had a perfect cast with Ashley Tisdale and Zack Effron and Lucas Grabeel and Vanessa Anne Hudgens. This could be better like it could have been longer. I'am going to watch the Sing a long tomorrow and the making of the movie on Sunday.I hope that maybe they will make a High School Musical 2 in the future.If they did that then they should keep the original cast.So, anyway's this movie so rocked and I'am going to keep watching it each time it comes on T.V. I hope that everyone enjoyed this movie as much as I did.(P.S so should really watch this movie.) See Ya!
143 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh...
xanadu_dan19 April 2006
This can't even compare to Grease or Fame - I'd say a better comparison is Grease 2, although mentioning From Justin to Kelly would be much more accurate as to what this "film" is like. Writing that makes Saved by the Bell look erudite, songs that come out of nowhere and mean nothing to the plot, annoying stage-mother-driven kids that can't act (or sing, according to reports that singing was dubbed). No distinct look, a lack of production numbers, and the most disposable score I've heard in years contribute to this being one of the worst musicals I've had the displeasure of sitting through. Mind you, I'm sure the kids will eat it up, as kids are notoriously undiscerning in their entertainment as long as it's packaged correctly. However, if you're over 18 and don't have children, avoid this like the plague.
82 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the best DCOM ever made
jason-112425 January 2006
It's the Disney Channel Principle of Equilibrium - if one or more elements of a movie/show are done particularly well, something else has to be done badly to compensate. Good writing, bad direction. Bad writing, good direction. Bad writing, bad direction, very good actors doing their best for a lost cause. And High School Musical is no different: Kenny Ortega and the team of actors who signed up for this movie were not given much of a script to work with. But work with it they did, so much so that they tipped the scale: despite the writing, this is a very good movie.

Easily the best part of the entire movie was the relationship between Troy (Zac Efron) and Gabriella (Vanessa Anne Hudgens). I'm so sick of all the weird, hormone-infused, obsessive teen relationships that show up nowadays on WB dramas and the like, and this was a HUGE refreshment. You could just *tell* that they liked each other, they enjoyed being around each other, they loved the other's company. Chemistry is never something you can predict, but somebody did something right because this is some of the best chemistry on screen that I've seen to date. And I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about here.

The choreography was also very good, although I was probably already biased, having found out that the director was also the choreographer. The cinematography was also surprisingly good, and trust me, that's something I watch out for. As far as the music goes, I do have to admit that I'm not generally a fan of musical music, so I'm not the best person to ask. But some of the songs were pretty good, and "Breaking Free" was amazing. The last song was a bit heavy-handed with the cliché, but not unbearable.

The only part of the movie that really suffered was, like I said, the writing. Musicals like this tend to be over the top just by nature, and that's fine, but a lot of the writing was really stilted and - for lack of a better term - just plain bad. The character development was about as subtle as a tractor, with changes in character happening in sudden, surprising leaps. I honestly have no idea what made Sharpay and her brother change their minds at the end. It just didn't fit.

But like I said, somehow Ortega's direction turned that script into gold, so it wasn't just a bearable movie, it was a truly great one. And that's my final word on THAT.
56 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
high school musical
dowdy423 August 2006
high school musical was a great film well actually it was my favourite i have watched it 8 times now and only had it for 2 days its so good i recommend it to anybody its so great and has loads of songs that will just get stuck in your head once you watch it you have to watch it again and again its really addictive but i rate it 10 stars because it will make you laugh and cry and happy all in the base of an hour and a half so please watch it before you rate it because for all you no you might think it looks cheesy but it might turn out to be your favourite film. i hope that they make another high school musical but keep the same characters because the characters make the film. i think that Disney has finally out done themselves with this movie and they should have showed it at the cinemas thats how fantastic it is .
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney's High School Musical
mdang0127 February 2006
I have seen High School Musical and I recommend it to others. It is a movie about a basketball star and a soon to be newcomer in East High take a vacation in the same place. They sing "The Start of Something New" and suddenly come addicted to singing and partially, each other. I love this movie and have seen it every time on Disney Channel. You might think it's boring because of singing, but once you watch the movie, you'll definitely change your mind. The main stars of the show are Zac Efron as "Troy", Vanessa Anne Hudgens as "Gabriella", Ashley Tisdale as "Sharpay", and Lucas Grabeel as "Ryan". I love this movie and I guarantee that you will love it too.
48 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie.
kraziaznhandlez23 January 2006
Very well played, production smooth. I think one of the best Disney movies I've ever seen. The fact that their are so many talented Young Adults with a future ahead of them. They got a lot coming towards them. Perfect story line, it shows some drama, great climax point during the story. The filming was excellent. Music writers for the song has great ambition and strong, and moving. Check out the movie on Disney channel. I think the movie was well played because not only that beautiful actors were in the movie, is that because the director Kenny Ortega has been experience through all his other shows. In the movie Choreography takes a big factor into the dancing scenes. One thing that they forgot was to put more background into the 2 main characters, played by Zac and Vanessa. They should of added more about their family's, and where their from but otherwise it was amazing. I highly recommend this movie to anyone out there, if you love music, beautiful actors, great choreography this movie is meant for you!
55 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great! read on to see why...
ivyjoaqer20 January 2006
i loved this DCOM (for those of you who don't know what that is-Disney Channel Original Movie)! I went in expecting to find Zac Efron annoying-but no! He was great! He was charming and funny and sweet! Although AShley TIsdale was a wonderful actor and dancer, she was not the best singer in the film. Lucus Grabeel was wonderful! He is so talented! He is an amazing dancer and singer and is hilarious! Although the girl who played Gabriella's voice was annoying, i guess she worked for the character. She was my least favorite. Corbin Bleu was great. The music is great and you will want to buy the soundtrack right away! The choreography was great as well! One of my favorite scenes was the one in the lunch room with all the singers and dancers. It made me want to be in the movie and be a part of that scene! This is one of my favorite DCOMs (along with the following which you should try-going to the mat, the other me, and tru confessions)!!
58 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An all singing all dancing emotional roller-coaster.
jamie-crump24 February 2012
Before I start my review i would like to say that i found the two leads,Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens have such beautiful chemistry and they really make this film the classic that it is.

The movie is packed with tremendous and fabulous dance routines which are expertly choreographed and perfectly executed, the main cast and extra's perform these with such heart it makes me proud to be a musical lover. The songs in the film are sung with such emotion especially by Zac Efron, (A star in the making) it makes me tear up very time. When the two leads are together it always reminds me of my mother and father, both really attractive and with such a spark they light up the room.

I can say with all my heart that High school Musical is my favourite film of all time and is set to be a classic, it's best to watch it with friends though as were all in this together.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Disney movie yet!
iloveorli45422 January 2006
As an occasional viewer of Disney channel, I have been very disappointed with their recent movies, but after watching this one I have changed my mind! this is the quintessential teen movie, with the perfect blend of incredible musicality, humor, and romance. This movie really sends out a good message of doing things that culture dictates you not to. The musical numbers are filled with vigor and spice, and the acting is top notch. It will leave you dancing and cheering at the end! The music is both moving and cheering, with well written lyrics and beats. the dancing is very well done, as a dancer, i was a bit apprehensive as to the quality of it, but the dancing turned out great! the actors and actresses should also be commended on a job well done! their portrayal of some outrageous characters really brought the movie up another level. I especially loved Zac Efron (summerland) as Troy bolton. He was very believable, and made my heart ache for him by the end of the movie!!! this movie is incredible and will have you dancing and cheering by the end!The songs are very moving(we're soaring, flying, there's not a star in heaven that we can't reach, and if we're trying then we're breaking free) Whether you're a Disney channel regular, newcomer, Young child, or forty years old, you will love this movie!!! 10 thumbs up!
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful.
tuMrsBatman17 July 2006
This has got to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Disney Channel movies are notoriously awful. This one definitely no better.

The plot is just stupid. The acting is super bad and I shudder to think how degrading it must be to have acted in that. The writing is awesomely horrible. It's the kind of writing meant to entertain 3-year olds, but it's aimed at teens. It seems like it's supposed to be funny but I laugh only how elementary those writers are. I am disgusted to see that this treacherous movie has a rating above a 4.5.

I can only find two reasons this movie can possibly be liked. The music isn't wretched. But it's dumb. Some people think Troy (Efron) is semi-cute but he's got this nasty gap in his teeth. The voices of the characters are so lame and when they sing, oh gosh when they sing, the voices they use can't even sing well. And it is unbelievably obvious that they lip-synched and/or had bad audio/visual synchronization.

This is one of THEEEE STUPIDEST movies I have EVER seen in my ENTIRE life! I gave it a two only because that one part where they're practicing that soaring song. The background music is nice.
46 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
overrated and unrealistic
what_the_heckx325 July 2006
High School Movie was a really unrealistic and OVERRATED MOVIE!

like seriously what high school breaks out into song at lunch period because someone has a different interest then they're friends. I thought that was so weird it was hysterical.

and the whole no body likes drama its all about basketball-ARRRGG!!!! That was so completely annoying and unrealistic because HEY I'm into all the theater arts and plays and drama at my school and our plays are always sold out so what was up with that whole like 5 kids were there to watch at first until basketball was canceled.

plus i feel compelled to say this movie may have sold really fast and a lot of people watched Disney channel after that simply because one reason-Zac Effron. I'm not kidding. everyone that likes this movie that I know personally, only like it because they think Zac Effron was hot and that seriously disturbed me that people would watch this weird movie just to see HIM.

and about being unrealistic. okay i don't know how many times people broke out into song at the most absurd times in this movie. *Okay, during BASKETBALL PRACTICE the players started SINGING what is UP WITH THAT!!!! Tell me one real-life school that actually DOES THAT??? Guys usually don't sing all girly-like during their practice. *also when everyone went away to the pep rally Gaberiala just started sliding around the school automatically singing some song and like there weren't even like janitors around. and how did she even KNOW the words to that song without even thinking about it. *when Gabriella was singing and she went up to the poster of the basketball players and Zac Effron was like in the middle and huge and i know hes the captain but PLEASE the love of Zac Effron was obnoxious include the rest of the team okay? *i already explained how ridiculous the whole lunch song was *in homeroom when Zac and Gaberiella were like messing with their phones EVERYONE took out their's and what was UP WITH THAT? and they fact that everyone had the expensive high-tec phones was absurd *i could go on and on but I don't want to offend people TOO MUCH this is just my view of this ridiculous movie
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the love??? This movie is pure trite, absolute trite
LoneWolfAndCub29 January 2007
I seriously don't see how people could actually like this movie. I mean, I've seen bad but this is horrendous and beyond. The acting is laughable, I mean, none of these pretty faces can actually act. They are just there so girls can swoon over the guys and boys can get hard over the girls. Of course, I never planned to watch this because I could tell it would be bad. My girlfriend made me watch the damn thing because she loves it so much. I don't think I've been in more pain than having to sit and watch some wannabe teen actors prance around like spastics and sing about nothing.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, though, it is a Disney movie. But hey, Disney have produced masterpieces like The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Snow White. The message in this movie is unbelievably obvious and cliché. Be yourself, this message is hammered into the audience until are skulls have cracked and a brains are leaking all over the floor. Half the time I wished someone would come and chainsaw all the damn freaks up.

Don't waste your time on this movie, it isn't worth it. I can't stress this enough.

9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is bad bad bad.
vikuska29 August 2007
This movie is just horrible. It is full of clichés ad absurdum. In certain moments it sounds like a rip-off of Grease - or its amateur (high-school) version; as to the main plot line, certain scenes and moments or some melodies. Also each and one of its characters is fake fake fake. The music is cheesy and SOOOO descriptive as if the plot was so complex and sophisticated that you need an explanation JUST IN CASE you didn't get it - which is a rather unnecessary worry taking into consideration all the stereotypes. I sometimes work while having the sound of my TV in the background, but this one did not let me work. I'll switch it off as soon as I click "Submit this review".
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is crap
slayer-chic20 August 2007
In the month of June 2007 I sat down with a nice snack and turned on the television, that's when I saw Disney's movie 'Highschool musical' on. I decide to watch it since it was ALL the talk nowadays, let's just say I have a peanut allergy and I had a reaction to that movie worse then my deadly allergy. It was the most HORRIBLE movie I have see to this day, I had to baby sit my little sister who was in love with the teletubies and this movie made that movie look like an award winner. I honestly have no clue why the rating is so high if it was a work of crap.

If you let your kids watch this movie they are guaranteed to get stupid. This movie has nothing to do with REAL highschool life, when you hear people saying there life is just like this movie, please just hit them over the head already with a blunt object they are clearly disturbed.

The main character who played Troy was an awful actor and has a terrible singing voice. He just stands there and prances around like a magical pixie horse trying too hard to sing, it's like they hired him to look pretty. The main girl, I have to admit did have a good singing voice but her acting sucked. Oh and the 'antagonists' the brother and sister looked like they were in love with each other which was wrong.

The songs that are sung in this musical were all clearly crap if you actually listened to the lyrics and not the actual music. The dubbing, well lets just say it made me hurl... TWICE. The mouths literally moved 20 seconds after the words are actually spoken, you can actually tell that this was dubbed. This movie clearly had a low budget.

All in all, I hated this movie and I don't know why so many people like this movie. Please, don't risk your health so don't watch this movie.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie really sucked.
melonade60117 June 2006
Wow...I expected a lot better than what I saw in that movie. The lipsynching is awful, the character "Troy" wears more makeup than any of the girls, and Disney basically just tried to make an imitation of "Grease". (Doesn't even BEGIN to compare to "Grease", by the way). Being a musical theatre student myself, I expected a lot better in this movie than the squeaky voices from the girls and the (DUBBED!) voice of "Troy". The only parts I could enjoy in this movie were the parts with Sharpay and Ryan...I think Ryan is the only talented character in this movie, and Sharpay is just really good at playing a typical backstabbing high school girl.
31 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.