It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

One of the best, funniest and most refreshing shows currently on television
MovieAddict20169 July 2006
Dennis (Glenn Howerton), Mac (Rob McElhenney), and Charlie (Charlie Day) are all the owners of an Irish bar in Philadelphia, and "Sunny" essentially follows their awkward lives - each episode revolving around some type of political or social issue such as gun control, abortion, steroids, underage drinking, health care, and the handicapped (just to touch on a few issues already addressed in the show).

It begs comparison with "Arrested Development," "The Office," "Seinfeld" and "South Park" in its broad humor and wit, but it is completely original in its own right. The pilot was filmed on a low budget by a few friends and was picked up by FX after wards, so the show retains its low-budget feel - giving it a gritty, down-to-earth edge.

"Sunny" does border on the edge of bad taste sometimes (hell, what am I saying - it crosses the line every time) but it contains enough satire and wit to get away with it. For example: in one episode Mac and Dennis decide to pick up girls at an abortion rally. Mac pretends to be pro-life just so he can be around an attractive woman, whom he ends up sleeping with. Later, she tells him she's pregnant. "You need to get an abortion," he says. This type of irony runs throughout every episode.

The banter between the characters in the show is what tends to be particularly funny. The actors - although novices - are all great. Charlie Day in particular has me laughing like crazy every episode. And his interaction with Danny DeVito (who's been brought in for season two) is hilarious. Season two is more polished so far in terms of the mechanics of the show - the characters have all been setup now and they know what they're doing - and in that regard it is seeming to get better and better with every episode.

You do have to have a very sick sense of humor to like some of this - DeVito's character, Frank, is the father of Dennis and Dee, and his reason for being in the show is that he is getting a divorce and wants to relive his glory days as a youth. He tries to re-ignite a relationship with an old girlfriend of his from high school - but when he finds out she's a grandmother and not interested in doing anything wild, his attention instantly turns to the waitress and he tunes her out. It's cruel, sick and hilarious. DeVito is playing another ruthless character (same as in "Taxi" all those years ago) and it works splendidly.

Overall this was a delightful blast of fresh air - after seeing so many stale sitcoms, this proved to me that FX really is becoming the new lead in character-driven comedy-dramas (such as the equally superb "Rescue Me" which isn't quite as funny, however).

My only hope is that "Sunny" doesn't become so popular that it attracts controversy and sells out and dumbs down its humor. Right now it's on par with the early episodes of "South Park" and "SNL" in terms of how irreverent its humor is - and personally, in my opinion, its plots are better than most comedy films I've seen within the last few years.

If you want to see something new, different, and funny, check this out. I have a feeling it could either become huge, like the next "Seinfeld," or - more realistically - it will become a cult phenomenon. Either way, I'll be watching.
255 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best 'dark comedy' on TV
I_saw_it_happen22 June 2010
This is a genuinely funny show, well worth watching, and deserving of it's high ratings on this site. It's compared to South Park for a number of reasons, most notably the enthusiasm with which it tackles socially sensitive issues and assaults them with the most extremist brands of political incorrectness --- but whereas South Park always tries to tidy up it's mess and make sure the audience knows the distinction between right and wrong, this show revels in the depravity and insanity of it's sociopathy. And it works amazingly well.

Since it's a situational comedy, there's not much to say about it without giving away the goods, but the actors all work better than any cast I've seen in a long time. It really seems like half the show is improvised and that the cast is talented enough to make it work without a hitch. The first few episodes are definitely the weakest, but still stronger than just about any comedy out there.

Highly recommended.
86 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My new favorite show
nkb_junk3 August 2006
Now that Arrested Development has been laid to rest (RIP), I have found the next best thing.

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is different and funny, in a crossing-moral-lines kind of way. Good for FX that they have the cojones to put this show on.

How can you not laugh when story lines involve trying to take financial advantage of a religious miracle, or considering sleeping with your fiend's mom to get even, or tea-bagging (not the actual act, but, 'nuff said)?

I can only hope this show stays on the air long enough to gain sufficient viewers to not get canceled.
154 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure brilliance
S C N11 August 2006
While I am typically not a fan of television, I can't get enough of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

As a resident of Philadelphia and one who enjoys the more scenic and luxurious aspects of life here, 'Sunny' doesn't exactly shine a great light on the city, but it IS without a doubt one of the most brilliant works of ensemble comedy I have ever seen.

It's irreverent, self-serving characters without a doubt suggest a bit of a naughty Seifeld. Yet dare I say it, it's more than that. The subtle interplay of class politics, ivy-league pomp, and south-philly street smarts go far beyond Seinfeld's tried-and-true model.
225 out of 267 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest shows on television.
Andrew Gold15 August 2016
There hasn't been a show in the world that makes me laugh as hard or as often than It's Always Sunny in its prime. Seasons 1 through 5 have some of the best, sharpest comedy writing in ages. Since then, the show hasn't been as consistently brilliant, but there are gems in every season. The premise is very simple. It's about the life of four Philly bar owners. At least until season 2 brings in the father of siblings Dennis and Dee, Frank Reynolds, played to perfection by Danny DeVito, where it becomes a fearless fivesome of hilarity. The thing is, these aren't your ordinary people. They're delusional, narcissistic, borderline-psychotic idiots. The show has been described as "Seinfeld on crack" and that's about as good a descriptor you can get. The gang are always coming up with ridiculous schemes and stupid ideas which consistently result in awkwardness and belly laughs.

One of the best parts of the show is the characters themselves. They come across as shallow douchebags most of the time, because for the most part, they are, but they each have their own distinct personality that mesh so well with the others. Dennis Reynolds is about as close to an everyman that you can get from the gang, and he's a manipulative, insecure, raving sociopath. His sister Dee is almost as depraved but with more self-loathing and less psychopathy. Their father Frank is a rich businessman who traded that life away for living in the slums as a lascivious alcoholic. Specifically, he shares a bed with Charlie, the illiterate, idiot savant wild card of the group. Dennis' roommate Mac is an oblivious closeted homosexual that favors badassery above all else. To put it lightly, they get themselves into some interesting scenarios. Whether they're all together or broken into various group combinations, you can guarantee laughs are to be had.

The chemistry between the actors really sells the whole thing. Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton, and Charlie Day are geniuses. Their writing, their acting, it's all so natural and infectious that you can't help but get immersed into any zany idea they come up with just to see how the gang comes out the other side. Kaitlin Olson and Danny DeVito are just as much necessary pieces to the cast. The humor ranges from uncomfortable to terribly politically incorrect, and that's the beauty of the show. It takes these "delicate" topics and shines a light on them that many people are afraid to address. The first season alone deals with racism, abortion, transsexuals, and child molestation. And no matter the topic, they find a way to make it hard-to-breathe hysterical.

I can boast about this show for days, but the fact is you either enjoy the humor or you don't. There's a lot of yelling and plenty of curse words, and it may be grating for newcomers to dip their toes into something like this, especially if they don't know what they're getting into. But for those who do and appreciate clever unrestrained comedy, treat yourself to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Great intro episodes: (#3.9) Sweet Dee Is Dating a Retarded Person - (#2.4) Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom - (#2.3) Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare - (#4.10) Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack - (#4.12) The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Make Over Edition - (#6.3) The Gang Buys a Boat
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
About as close to brilliant as you can get
njstorm113 October 2007
There are so few television comedies that generate as much humor with generally unlikable characters, and "Sunny" probably tops the list. "Strangers With Candy" and "Absolutely Fabulous" come closest to capturing the laugh-out loud comedy it generates. Part abstract theatre, part absurdist drama, "Sunny" not only skewers every hot-button issue imaginable, but barbecues and presents it as a scrumptuous entree. And the zingers ... "Which one of you fags is my dad?" and "You might as well call it Rape Bar" are killer. Plus being a Philly boy myself, the opening montage with images of The Linc and 30th Street Station are always good for a smile. With "Drawn Together" set for its impending exit, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is the reigning TV king of comedy.
118 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Actually Funny
snortin_php5 August 2005
I've been a big fan of FX ever since my wife coerced me into watching an episode of Nip/Tuck. I then got sucked into the various other dramas like Rescue Me, 30 Days, Over There, etc.

I was a bit worried about FX trying to do comedy. I didn't think it would work out at all.

And yet, I was completely wrong. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a fantastic show. It's about three guys and a girl that own an Irish pub in Philly. You might be thinking that you've heard similar plot lines, but this is completely different.

The show is politically incorrect, vulgar and hilarious. The first episode deals with racism which is a pretty lofty subject to start with, but it handles it with ease.

This is by far one of the best comedies on TV. Well worth checking out.
226 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great
kevinhmj0829 June 2006
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is one of the greatest shows on TV right now. It is daring and hilarious. It was created by three guys on a budget of less than $200, which I find very admirable because I am and aspiring actor/writer. Its raucous stories that run the gamut from cancer to abortion to Nazis to pedophilia are written by the cast. Their devotion to the show is very evident and I hope we will not lose this great show to politics of Hollywood. Heading into is second season I am excited to see what we are going to tackle this summer. I am ready to be shocked and amazed at the lengths these guys and a girl will go to to get over. And with Danny Devito joining the show we are really seeing how "sunny" it is in "Philadelphia"
134 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can sociopaths be considered as funny?
gusdanjaq5 December 2011
Well TV sociopaths can indeed. In the same fashion as Seinfeld and Arrested development, this show deals with a group of unlikeable misfits while they engage in moronic adventures based in equally moronic impulses. The difference with those spiritual predecessors is that Sunny takes it a step further. As the tagline of the show indicates ("Seinfeld on a crack) the writers of this show not only embrace the selfishness of their characters but takes it a step further by completely severing their social awareness and empathy towards other human beings. The result, needless to say, is not only sometimes disturbing, but utterly hilarious. Here is a small introduction of each one of the characters:

-Dennis Reynolds: A malignant narcissist in its truest form. Dennis believes he is the closest to physical perfection a human can achieve. A reputed ladies man, he is not above using alcohol, lies, emotional abuse and even the implication of danger (if they say no) to get girls in bed with him. He shows great amusement by watching how other people might get hurt by his actions, even if those people are his friends or his sister (who he constantly refers to as a bitch).

-Mac: Dennis's best friend and roommate, he equally enjoys to be part of the gang's plans even if that means hurting or offending innocent people. He even benefits from Dennis's system to pick up and seduce girls, because Dennis let's Mac hit on them when he gets bored with them. Mac believes himself a skilled martial artist (Even if he has not taken one lesson in his whole life) and enjoys resolving problems with violence or vandalism.

-Charlie: Although equally impulsive and alcoholic as the other's in the gang in many ways, he is the only one who has shown he has some empathy for his fellow human being. He spends his time drinking beer or huffing glue (yes, he huffs glue). Being the most naïve from the group he is easily manipulated by the others, although he has shown he isn't above manipulating them either. He is highly resentful and is prone to violent outbursts.

-Deandra "Sweet Dee" Reynolds: Dee is as manipulative ad his brother and has been shown as only motivated by her own agenda. She is heavily picked on by the others on the gang because of their misogynistic views. Although as the other characters of the group, specially his brother, she shows no regard for how other people might be getting affected by her actions. She is highly vindictive and she goes to great lengths to make sure her schemes and her lies are being bought by the people involved.

-Frank Reynolds: An impulsive, violent and eccentric ex-millionaire he is highly delusional and carries a gun all the time. His likes include prostitutes, drugs and ham (Yes, ham). He is highly irrational and is always looking to crazier and more idiotic ways to deal with the possible issues that might arise for the gang.

This show appeals to your inner child in the way that this characters really have the mental development of a child, and you will find hilarious how they will impulsively engage in idiotic plans without showing any preoccupation of how the consequences could be for them, their friends or for the people unfortunate enough to get involved with them. Is a refreshing show because it is one of the first comedies that embraces the darkness of its characters and the comedic possibilities of having a group of alcoholic, impulsive, borderline criminal, but dim witted protagonists. These are highly unlikeable people, and their humor might offend you in one way or another, but mark my words: You will enjoy every minute of it.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best show currently on cable TV!
Christopher Smith21 August 2005
I have said it before, but one of the joys of summer is watching summer shows , knowing that they aren't being given even the slightest chance of survival. In most cases, these shows are being deservingly dumped in the summer because most of them are terrible. Surprisingly, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which premiered earlier this month, is not terrible. Even though it seemed like it might have been, it ended up being one of the better shows to come along so far in the 2000s. The show is about four friends who own a bar in Philadelphia. At first glance, it doesn't seem like anything special. The owning a bar scenario has been done several times before in a variety of other sitcoms including "Cheers" and the recently canceled "Grounded For Life". However, since the show is more clever and much funnier than the previous sitcoms who have used the device, one can forgive the lack of originality.

What makes "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" better than any other of the sitcoms that are on today is the clever writing. The writing on sitcoms these days is beyond awful. The writing on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is great. In fact, if the show doesn't receive an Emmmy nomination for writing, there is no justice in the world. The three episodes that have aired so far have been incredibly well written and unlike with most sitcoms, the dialogue doesn't seem like typical sitcom dialogue. The dialogue comes across as natural as opposed to coming across as forced like on network sitcoms and other cable comedies. The writers are also the stars and executive producers of the show, which gives them almost complete control. Let's hope the writing staff doesn't change. I'd give "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" 9/10. It's one of the best shows one is ever likely to see on cable.
162 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This show is great
sbills8931 July 2006
Seriously, The true show that begs comparison to Seinfeld. Like the tag says its Seinfeld on crack, weirdest crazy situations that you can oddly relate to in some psychotic parallel universe.

Awesome show i also like how its made by a few buddies and then FX picked it up and it took off.

Try it, You'll LOVE IT

Also i love the group of friends in it their personalities reflect so funnily on each other which makes it seem like Seinfeld in such a likeness.

Also begs comparison to friends but friends was never this funny.
121 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Refreshingly modern comedy
andyphillips-868-75411417 February 2014
If you scour the lowest rated reviews for this show you'll only hear criticism in the form of 'it's not funny' with little or no justification.

I think the reason for this is exactly the same reason behind similar criticism for 'The office' here in UK - which is that some people just don't get it.

The boring out-dated premise for comedy is unrealistically happy young people getting into mishaps followed by feel good endings all round - e.g/ Scrubs, Friends, Big Bang Theory - Boring.

The premise for It's always sunny is narcissistic and selfish characters on the upper edge of youth trying to make everything about themselves to their own detriment.

In other words, we've gone in completely the opposite direction to the status quo, which comedy SHOULD. The addition of Danny DeVito who's synonymous with 'old school' is just the icing on the cake, well done Danny for 'getting it' and for contributing to something genuinely funny and original!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It doesn't get much weirder and goofier than this... OH, and awesome too!
andy-qlster4 November 2011
This show is a mind-blow with each new episode... And it's one of those show that gets better with every season, so if You like the first season, stick with it, the show will knock You down laughing so hard, that You'll have a six pack before being done with season 3 :D One of the funniest shows ever! If You have a developed sense of humor, and i am not talking about one of those laugh-track scum that can be found out there...

P.S. - I wonder what is going on in their minds when they are writing scripts for the show, if the show has one, because it all seems so naturally improvised.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What more can you ask for?
Farhang Bayat29 April 2011
A cheap show, a crazy gang, a lot of guts to say whatever they want, what more can I ask for? I came across sunny the first time on IMDb and was really surprised with the rating it had. beforehand the title seemed a little too lame for me to care for, but man, if I'd known what I was missing out on...

Sunny is interesting in a many ways, the production doesn't stand out as perfect especially for the first couple of episodes and it's almost like a bunch of good friends just talking nonsense for quite a long time, but then the comedy kicks in, the racial jokes, the waitress, Charlie's illiteracy, Mac's karate moves, Dennis' pride and Dee being ignored over and over again, they all seem to make sense after a while and God, are they funny! The beginnings have always been a favorite point for me when the gang starts talking about nothing and they start screaming and everything.

And also let's not forget about Danny Devito and his sick twisted way of treatment of others.

So don't miss out on this great little show!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perfect Show for anyone having a bad day
Strictclybiz30 January 2011
These guys have made me a happier person for 6 years. I honestly can say no other TV show makes my day like "IASIP" for 6 years people have shunned this show and doubted the actors. Well, IMDb show that many people rate this show as a piece of art because that's what it is. People that don't find this show funny are just plain dull. That or they don't like todays comedy. All the other comedies on TV don't amount to this. Sure, maybe they do in awards but "IASIP" isn't built for the popularity contest, in the DVD's the actors come out and say they like the fans the fans are what moves them. That is the truth many, many, many people love this show. And they keep it moving currently 6 seasons going strong! Keep up the good work Mac, Dennis, Dee, Frank were watching.
Hilarious Television
tbertt7 July 2010
Never have I ever seen a television show with such unlikeable main characters. Never have I ever seen a television show with such unlikeable characters that amused me beyond belief. This show is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it is all due to the superb writing and acting, and directing.

The show follows the unbelievable but strangely everyday occurrences of "The Gang" in a what seems to be failing Philadelphia pub. What happens everyday are outrageously hilarious situations these characters get themselves into, for instance in one episode, two characters try become drug addicts just to be put on welfare. Every episode is extremely original, and it never seems to get old.

There are many reasons to laugh at this show. One of them is the joke after joke formula, never trying to hard to be funny. The other thing that makes you laugh at this show is how you can tell this cast loves making this show, and how you can tell they have just as much fun making the show as how much fun the actual show is.

If you haven't seen this show, I beg you to give it a shot. I guarantee you will not be disappointed if you enjoy purely funny TV.
Always Sunny - Always Funny
goldiemcg15 August 2005
The show is great! I love the edgy humor and how they're addressing everyday issues and finding the hilarity in them. I think what I enjoy the most is that they're not tip-toeing around issues, gay, abortion, underage drinking (no, they're not promoting these, they're just addressing them). The way they have the real life situations and the true reactions within a set of friends sets this show apart (Seinfeld anyone?)...there's no following the lives of multi-millionaire brats as lead characters (fill in the blank for that show, there's only about 5 on air right now), none of the worn out "the city is going to blow up unless you catch the bad guy in 5 minutes" plot lines...it's real situations and almost everyone can relate...and laugh at.
114 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
side splitting at times
davedawes22 March 2012
I can only only assume the negative reviews for this show comes from the people who find such programs as 'mike and molly' 'big bang theory' and '2 and a half men' funny and rely on canned laughter to tell them when something just funny has happened. I must admit i stumbled across this program whilst in bed in Vegas wishing i hadn't started drinking in the day and it made me vomit with laughing...i'm not usually a huge fan of US comedies as they are few and far between but when one comes along like this it baffles me that there is that much crap on US TV?!?! The characters are perfect together and whilst at 1st was dubious about DeVito's role i've grown to him and think he's perfect too. More like this America and you'll be forgiven for the amount of terrible alleged comedies you roll out and 'reality'....if you can call them reality rubbish.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crude, rude, funny, hilarious and far out pushes the comedy limit. Shows you don't have to be serious in life, one of TV's best!
Danny Blankenship20 December 2009
Over the years on FX I would tune in and catch an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" from time to time. Only eventually it would be just like getting hooked on something as now I'm a faithful viewer of the series it's just like a religion. And who wouldn't be hooked the series it pushes the envelope it's far out funny and crude and rude as it just doesn't give a hoot and all of the characters are risk takers and speak it like it is about the world as I agree with them it's time we come down on this society more as it's became to much of a yes man and politically correct one. And the chemistry between the actors and guest is top notch. As it's a watch for the legendary Danny Devito who shines here as he proves he's not to good to do a cable comedy sitcom after being in many big screen movies it doesn't affect his legendary status.

Anyhow it was created by Rob McElhenney(who plays Mac)and many episodes were directed by Fred Savage("The Wonder Years")as it's set in the city of brotherly love Philadelphia, PA. And always the opening sequences get you into the mood well by showing city landmarks from Market Street, the Rocky statue, and Lincoln Financial Field. So you feel that Philly freedom! The plot and storyline aside from just four grown friends having a ball of fun, is centered around Danny Devito who as Frank Reynolds is still in Philadelphia with his two grown kids Dennis(Glenn Howerton)and Dee(Kaitlin Olson)and they hang out with Charlie(Charlie Day)and Mac(Rob McElhenney)who are two grown slacker men who've been friends since childhood. And all four of the grown adults gets their kicks and meetings together at the Irish pub bar they run called "Paddy's".

And thru the years the series has provided some funny and crazy moments of themes that center around road trips, medical problems, relationship problems, alcohol contests with rival bars, stalking, protest, crazy inventions, illegal immigration, and just down right good old funny fashioned fun with the gang pushing the limits and rules of not only just the law but society also. Overall this series is never boring or dull with it's wacky and crazy far out themes that's what makes it so watchable and likable is that it's different! Really a wonderful series one of the best on TV as it proves with it's comedy and raunchy fun that it's okay to be crude, rude, and outspoken in a crazy and envelope pushing way! Glad to see a show that speaks to society in a blunt and feel good fashion proving not to take life serious as it's okay to have fun your way. So be ready and remember "It's Always Sunny in Philadlephia" as it's good and nice to look at the cool and crummy side of life!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious show
pablo-178-4384235 October 2011
The series follows "The Gang", a group of five depraved underachievers: twins Dennis and Deandra "Sweet Dee" Reynolds, their friends Charlie Kelly and Mac, and Frank Reynolds, Dennis and Dee's adoptive father, who runs Paddy's Pub, a run-down bar in South Philadelphia. They are dishonest, egotistical, lazy, manipulative and vengeful. Episodes usually find them hatching elaborate schemes, conspiring against one another and others for personal gain, vengeance, or simply for the entertainment of watching each other's downfall. Their tactics often rely on inflicting emotional and sometimes physical and psychological pain on individuals both deserving and undeserving. They regularly use blackmail and manipulate one another and others outside of the group.

Much like in Seinfeld, the plots and schemes hatched by the Gang rarely result in lasting success; indeed, oftentimes, the plans backfire to adversely affect the group or at least, leave the Gang back at square one with little to no gain.

This show is hilarious. Watch it now.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most complete comedy, ever.
Dylan Williams14 April 2010
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a unique comedy. The show's humor can range from subtle and intelligent, as seen in shows like Arrested Development, to outrageously, raucous, and to some outright offensive.

Much like Seinfeld, IASiP is a show that takes a normal situation, and, with it's hilarious characters, creates an insanely, original ending. Much to the show's own benefit, the actors,aside from Danny Devito, started as basically nobodies. In fact, the original four were friends before the show, and their chemistry shines through their performances( however this isn't to say that Devito doesn't mesh with the original four ). One of the show's few downsides, however, is that the character's need some getting used to in order to establish their places in the show and understand their sense of humor. On the other hand, this sacrificed time period will result in the best viewer to character connection a person can find in a comedy.

I hear tons of people say that IASiP is "Seinfeld on crack", but, as accurate a statement as that is, I would much rather say it's what you would see if the brute, crudeness of the Chappelle's Show was juxtaposed with Arrested Development.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's always Sunny...
Lance Greenzweig28 July 2006
Think South Park in South Philly. Danny Devito does just enough to anchor the cast but still allows the younger and lesser known co-stars to develop their characters around him. Often times, a more established actor with Devito's credentials will wash out the co-stars and smother the show. This is not the case with Sunny. Put simply, this show works. It may take another solid season for this show to cultivate a substantial core audience. But it seems FX is willing to stick with it long enough to find out. Even if FX decides to run this show up against the big boys (CBS' "Without a Trace") in the fall, Thursdays at 10pm is a perfect time slot. Sunny is gritty and dark at times, but in a harmless and smart kind of way. Kudos, FX...This show is a winner!
89 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Greatest Comedies Ever
Dante Arnone5 February 2013
The show has tailed off a bit over its last few seasons, but what show hasn't in its 7th and 8th seasons? The fact that they aren't doing most of the writing surely doesn't help either. For the people who have only recently come across the show due to its growing popularity, I highly recommend you watch its earlier seasons.

The early to middle seasons of this show are pure brilliance. The wit, timing, satire and chemistry between the characters is one of the best if not the best I have ever seen in a comedic cast.

I cannot express how much I love this show. It seems every time I watch an episode again I somehow find it even more funny which I didn't think was possible.

In its prime the show is as close to perfect as a comedy can get
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing scares gays and black folks like Irish crap
I love it. I absolutely love it. Any time I watch one episode I say, "OK, just one more," and three episodes later I'm saying "one more." All the characters are very well played by each actor, especially Frank who is played by Danny Devito and Charlie who is played by Charlie Day.

The show is consistently funny and very smart. Every episode is a good episode and provide, at least, about 2 laugh out load moments and it's trickled with titters and "that was cool," moments.

I thoroughly enjoy it and is my favorite comedy TV show in a long time and is probably the funniest viewing pleasure I've had in terms of TV shows AND movies. I'd highly recommend it, although Season 7 is very, very comedy of the black nature and you'll cringe. Although I prefer Season 7 to all the rest of them.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Always Sunny In My House!
Susie V.C.14 April 2012
I admit, I was late to the game. I began watching Sunny when Comedy Central started to air it.

Initially, I didn't get it -- at all. The plot lines were all over the place and I couldn't make sense of it. Their crazy antics made me laugh but I was completely lost. And then I experienced it, "The Nightman Cometh"...the episode that changed it all for me! I found everything from the "rape scene" to the marriage proposal so intriguing that I was determined to watch the entire series and piece this Sunny puzzle together.

I did my homework. I bought the Six Pack (Seasons 1-5 & "A Very Sunny Christmas"), Season 6 and I even ended up buying the soundtrack. I caught up to it within a few weeks and I am hooked!

This is not your typical (boring) cast of characters and the fact that they do not fit the typical (predictable) sitcom mold is what makes it so darn excellent! And to add to the charm of the show, I come to find out that they're all pretty much married to each other in real life! :-)

I LOVE this show! They bring a huge smile to my face! I can't wait for Season 8!