The Mechanic (2011) Poster

(2011)

Good
MR_Heraclius29 February 2020
A well-crafted thriller, The Mechanic is an intense and action packed film from director Simon West. Starring Jason Statham, Ben Foster, and Donald Sutherland, the film has a strong cast that delivers good performances. The story follows an assassin who takes on a protege, but is forced to go rogue when he's betrayed by his employer. The material is familiar, but the writing is able to keep the film engaging. Though it's not that original, The Mechanic is a solid action film.
45 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good hardass killer thriller
p-jonsson10 April 2017
When Jason Statham is good he is very good. In this movie I think he is very good as the silent, deadly killer for hire. It is a straightforward killer/action/thriller. The story is nothing new but it is a well working story which is nicely executed.

The story is, as I wrote above, not very original. Killer for hire finds out that his next target is his mentor and friend. As the professional he is he executes the job anyway but later discoverers that not all is as is should be. Time for revenge. A simple, straightforward and well working story.

Things are complicated a bit by Bishop taking his friend's son under his wings. Of course he wants to walk in his fathers footsteps. He is inexperienced but also undisciplined. Something that, not surprisingly, is causing problems.

I do like that Bishop stays a no bullshit hardass killer throughout the entire movie. No whining or silly emotional outbreaks or breakdowns. I also like the unemotional, silent and deadly impression of a professional assassin the he radiates.

There are quite a few fairly well done action scenes in the movie ranging from silent assassinations to the obligatory blow things up scenes. The parts where Bishop and Steves goes after the big bad guy is quite well done with some quite cool stunts without being over the top.

The ending was probably the only thing in the movie that was a bit unexpected. Unexpected in a good way that is. I quite liked the little surprise there.

Overall I as well as my son liked this movie quite a lot. I hope that Mechanic: Resurrection is as good as this one.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Is One Of Stathams Best Action Films
ActionFan-Reviews2 March 2015
The Mechanic may not have the critical praise or box office $ as movies like "Snatch", Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" "The Expendables"and the upcoming "Fast 7". But there is one thing it does rank as and that's one of his best pure, balls to the wall action films to date. In the last decade, Statham has consistently delivered hard hitting B Action films and if your a fan of the old school, 80's/90's R rated action, the mechanic is a must watch. For a brisk 90 mins, it manages to provide on some no holds barred, brutal and bloody action. It will remind you of the days when they made more adult oriented action without all that CGI and PG 13 but more fight choreography and realistic stunts and action. I think this is one of the most underrated and one of the better action movies within the last decade.Overall, this is a movie worth watching more than once and if your a fan of action and haven't seen this and your looking for a quick 90 min movie to entertain you without thinking too much, this is highly recommended.

20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Enough For a Late Night Flick
SpartanIII10 February 2011
I just got back from seeing a late night showing of The Mechanic. After having a long week, this film did exactly what I wanted it to do...entertain me.

Was the plot original? No.

Was the acting amazing? No.

But... Was the action good? Yes.

Was Jason Stathham in it? Yes.

Can you ask for anything else in an action film these days? It didn't label itself as a milestone of cinematic achievement. It was marketed as an action film, with good death scenes, mildly intriguing characters, and a simple plot and it delivered exactly on cue. Go see this if you just want to see some good action stars kick-butt for a couple of hours. 6/10
96 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure I like this one
mike-384228 January 2011
I am one of the original Jason Statham fans. I loved the Transporter, Crank and his collaborations with Guy Ritchie like Revolver and even tolerated some of his less glorious efforts such as Death Race.

For me what makes his movies so enjoyable is the tongue in cheek humour and the likable side of the tough guy. We all know he's not a great actor but the lovable rogue is his trademark and that's why we keep going back for more.

"The Mechanic" is about a ruthless hit man and it gives Statham no opportunity to smile or engage in banter, nor make us laugh. It's a non- stop action film with a few goofs and a script with holes big enough to drive a bus through. Normally I would forgive and forget, because I like him, but he didn't make me laugh nor make me wish I could be like him this time.

There were no characters to like in this film, but there was plenty of action which makes it instantly forgettable. I know you want to read the movie was great but I wouldn't be honest if I pretended it was. Worth watching but don't expect another Transporter.
115 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It works
artalmarcelo13 June 2011
Some things may not make sense and the storytelling may feel extremely fast paced, but you know what, in those moments where 'The Mechanic' promised to entertain you, it does it at its best. And don't get me wrong, cause I'm not a Statham's fan. I didn't like 'The transporter' cause the acting (especially the bad guy) was way too unreal. I didn't like 'Crank' either cause the directing was really bad. 'The Mechanic' is not a movie focused on the story but on the action, and that's where it shines. The action scenes are really sublime and they don't stop until the last minute. Actors also fit in an interesting story. Again, the director chose not to develop the story but to give an explosive experience, and I believe he achieved it. Don't look for a deep experience here and you won't be disappointed.
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A spectacular, hardboiled, and sometimes vicious action movie
davidx271820 January 2011
A typical Statham movie, like the Transporter but with a higher dose of brutality and nastiness. Statham's character Arthur Bishop, a.k.a the Mechanic, is awesomely tough and cold-blooded, and the assassination plans and escapes are brilliant. But images like that of an old man getting shot in the chest (near the beginning) are hard to shake. Ben Foster is great as the jaded alcoholic who becomes the apprentice assassin. It's not clear where he learnt to take on a 350 pound killer with his bare hands, but like he says, "I've seen some s***." All the men in black suits and SUVs who try to protect their clients are equally impressive, and ineffectual. What use are dark glasses and handguns against killers who can climb buildings? Bishop has his hideaway out on the Bayou where he enjoys the finer things in life, like playing the soft classical music that soothes him after a killing, and rebuilding his Jaguar. (And his idea of rebuilding involves micrometres as much as wrenches.) He's got an arrangement with a woman that involves quick visits and wads of cash left on the table. His friend Harry tells him that he (Bishop) needs companionship, but the movie makes it pretty plain why his friendships don't last long. After the intense action sequences you may be saying cool, but does this guy have a soul? If so, it's well hidden under Statham's half-shaved, snarled-lip mug.
74 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do some people go to Comedy clubs that have an offensive comedian to be offended?
cox5266 February 2011
What I find alarming when I read reviews is I either get someone who is trying to pretend to be some great film critic from the New York Times or Daily Express, or someone who is simply stupid. Now call me old fashioned; but if I see a sign that says Jo Bloggs Comedian- if anyone is easily offended please do not attend and I fell into the bracket of easily offended, I wouldn't go. Similarly if I knew the comedian sounded just the same as every other comedian that is currently tapping the boards I wouldn't go. SO it beggars belief that someone says Jason Statham is rubbish and can't act and is one dimensional. SO why are you going to watch him, if you think he's so Great!! Then compare a film to one previously made some years ago with the late Charles Bronson and say it doesn't match up to that. You are already setting yourself up for a fall if you start comparing things. Let's value it as a film, is it entertaining? YES. Does it have a story line, you can follow and understand and get to grips with? YES Is there good action scenes . YES

I found the cinematic experience a pleasurable one. Nothing outstanding, it won't be getting any Oscars, I know what to expect when I see Jason Statham and he never lets you down (I think WAR is his best movie- outstanding), Ben Foster plays a good part too and so the supporting cast fulfil there role. I was happy ate my popcorn and drank me Cola, had a big smile went home, Job done- Why people start dissecting it and finding that a paper clip was on a table one minute and not the next I think YOU ARE SAD! Just don't go if you hate Jason Stantham and if you don't like violence and the odd expletive, stay at home and watch the Untouchables or something. Otherwise go and be entertained it will not disappoint.
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above average remake and action thriller
amesmonde30 May 2011
An assassin's abilities are tested when he takes on an apprentice, but things get complicated when he finds he's been used on his last job.

Entertaining assassin/mentor yarn which tries to avoid clichés. Donald Sutherland puts in a welcomed cameo but is missed throughout the rest of the film. Jason Statham is hit man Arthur Bishop, while he can do these roles action roles blind folded Statham is subtler and more complex than most previous parts he's played. Ben Foster gives a hard hitting performance giving an edginess and weight to the character of Steve McKenna and corporate bad guy Tony Goldwyn is notable.

Some logic aside the Mechanic stands head and shoulders above the mass of recent cheap and big budget flicks due to it's 1973 source material, smart writing and Simon West's gritty direction. The wonderful locations give it an air of realism and the soundtrack complements the setups.

With some thought out character development, twists and well executed action scenes it's a pleasing above average hit-man thriller.
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could you possibly make less sense?
jff-johnson6 February 2011
I understand the suspension of disbelief. I understand watching only for "entertainment" but even within these realms this movie makes absolutely no sense. The lead character is the heartless solitary killer for hire working for the nondescript assassins r us. Then out of nowhere a guy shows up and tells him his best and only friend, his freaking mentor betrayed the company causing the death of some fellow assassins. Almost without question he promptly kills him... why? he betrayed the company, so... some other assassins got killed that he either didn't know or did not like, and what does he do? He shoots his friend. He doesn't help him or warn him or even ask him if it's true, (yes he falls or the oldest hit man ploy in the book) he shoots him because if he doesn't do it someone else will, stupid.

Then the heartless cold blooded assassin feels some sort of guilt and takes his dead friend's son under his wing and in less than two weeks trains him to be a super assassin taking out other trained killers with no sweat, right.

Eventually our hero figures out what every single person watching knew from the beginning, he was set up. He then proceeds to hunt down and kill everyone involved even his best friends son. Yep that's right he drags this innocent kid into the situation, he doesn't need the kids help for any of it nor does he makes any attempt to explain anything to him he just goes to very elaborate lengths to plan the kid's death.

The end.
57 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Am I missing something? Have the positive reviewers actually seen this movie???
Meven_Stoffat30 January 2011
1. For a movie that tries to make you root for Steve, the killings... oh dear. West was clearly going for shock value, but I somehow felt sorry for the people being killed. So depressing and grotesque.

2. The pair go around and into other's places, and they don't wear gloves, leave plenty of fingerprints, and yet they aren't once suspected of murder.

3. Honestly, if Bishop knew that he'd get into pickle with his boss, why did he even bother with Steve at all. A good assassin would be professional and not go out of his way to train some drunkard douche and kill him later.

4. What was the point of the O'hare bus fight??? I know Bishop wanted him out of the way quick, but why bother putting his work aside for the sake of killing some random guy??

5. On that note, how did no one notice a fight on a bus, but just a guy getting hit with a car after being tossed out a window?

6. The ending. Steve is like 20 KM from the gas station and this is a wireless detonator. How is that even possible????? There HAS to be some distance limit. That was such bullcrap.

7. The acting is terrible. Statham, an actor I usually love, was limited to 2 emotions (if you can call them that): 1. "Don't bother me, I'm trying to figure out who this target is" and 2. "Don't bother me, I'm trying to make sure the job is done correctly" Ben Foster mumbles his way through the film, I literally could not understand WTF he was saying. You thought Ray Winstone's mumbling in Edge of Darkness was bad? Ben is FAR worse. His lines needed English subtitles.

8. Better than 80% of the film was reaction shots with no dialog, of people standing around looking shocked. The rest of the film is jargon-filled exposition heavy dialogue and about 5 minutes of actual action.

9. LAZY ACTION SCENES. I'm tired of going to action films and getting sick because the director has a problem with people being able to see what's going on. Shaky camera and quick cutting must die, I'm tired of it.

10. When I walked out, I felt depressed and sick, like I just ran 4 miles and ran face first into a brick wall. I was excited, but this was just bleak, boring and lame, and I am a Jason Statham fan.

I have not seen the original, and I must say I CERTAINLY don't plan on it any time soon. Avoid.
74 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular film plenty of frantic action , thrills , intrigue and lots of violence
ma-cortes9 March 2011
Remake from classic film directed by Michael Winner (1972) and starred by Charles Bronson with screenplay by Lewis John Carlino . Thrilling movie about the very deadly rivalry between two contact killers . Arthur Bishop (Jason Statham in similar role to Charles Bronson) is a very professional hit man , he is the number one killing people with a bullet whose reputation has caught up with him. Bishop makes his missions of the way more mechanic and perfect, for that reason he is known as ¨The mechanic¨. Lone Bishop only has one friend named Harry (Donald Sutherland in the Keenan Wynn character) . His last assignment for a powerful organization (led by Tony Goldwyn) results to be the killing an important business man . Stressed and tired he plans to get out after one of his last jobs. He always works alone but he takes an apprentice named Steve McKenna (Ben Foster , role formerly played by Jan-Michael Vincent) who learns the criminal lessons from his master , both have innumerable ways to murder. At the beginning the protégé follows the advices given by his master murderous . Both of whom form a relentless killer team but Bishop is caught in the middle of treason. As hot-headed Steve McKenna want to off Bronson and attempts to assume the position of top hit-man.

This crime thriller packs intrigue, suspense, noisy action-packed with grisly killings ,explosive excitement, thrills and lots of violence and sex . This moving film is as calculating , cold and passionless as its central characters , two brutal hired assassins . Jason Statham with his usual hard acting displays efficiently his weapons and killing mercilessly his objectives . It's certainly thrilling , though the morality may be questionable , even in this time, as the spectators were clearly on the Statham's side in spite of being a cruel killer . Statham as a wealthy murderer for a powerful organization offers the sort of strong acting as always. Furthermore, appears a nice secondary cast as Donald Sutherland , Tony Goldwyn and brief performance of the gorgeous fashion model Mini Anden as Bishop's love interest, but the romance isn't what this movie offers , it is about action and violence and director knows his work . It packs stirring musical score composed, orchestrated and performed by Mark Isham . Colorful cinematography by Eric Schmidt with spectacular scenes filmed at New Orleans . This big hit motion picture is professionally directed by Simon West though with no originality . The director Simon West's well-oiled techniques generate some explosive entertainment and excitement as usual . This is an acceptable film about a deadly rivalry among two hired killers that will appeal to Jason Statham fans and action lovers .
26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really liked this twisty action flick, once I got on board
juneebuggy7 October 2014
This was different than what I was expecting especially in the beginning where it wasn't your usual mindless Jason Statham action flick. For the first half (anyways) the car chases and cool choreographed fight scenes take a back seat, in fact there are large sections where Statham isn't even in it, he just narrates. Instead we get Ben Foster, which is no hardship.

Intriguing story once I got on board, revolving around an elite assassin who gets double crossed and then proceeds to teach his trade to an apprentice who had a connection to one of his previous victims. As things progress the body count rises, Statham shows his moves and things get awesome. The window washing stunt was excellent as was all the twisty double crossing. Great (explosive) ending. 5/24/14
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very good
ibutzen575 February 2011
I admire Jason Statham, I really do. He's managed to transform being a bald, vaguely threatening Englishman into movie fame and fortune (see: Transporter series, Crank series, etc.). He's found his niche, and he's sticking with it; more power to him.

But this movie is pretty bad. I saw another reviewer describe this movie as a thriller. It is not. Nothing happens in this movie that you can't see coming a mile away. Here's the Reader's Digest condensed version which CONTAINS SPOILERS. Jason Statham is a badass professional murderer-- Sorry, hit-man-- who likes to kill his targets in ways that look like accidents, which is kinda clever. He works for "the company", which is never named, so I'm going to call it Evil, Incorporated. Evil, Inc is run by two guys: The soft spoken, wheelchair bound older guy who's been Statham's character's friend since forever. The other guy has a corporate haircut, wears an expensive suit and rides around in a convoy of sleek black vehicles, accompanied by sunglasses-wearing men with guns.

Anyway, Corporate Guy tells Statham that his old friend is In League With The Enemy, and Statham kills his old pal at Corporate Guy's behest. The Old Pal's drunken loser kid shows up and asks Statham to train him up so he can find and kill the man who killed his dad. Statham agrees, because I guess a washed up, vengeance crazed drunk is the guy you want along when speed, silence, and skill are your keys to survival. Cue training montage.

Statham finds out that Corporate Guy is SPOILERS AHEAD the real villain (bet you didn't see that coming). They set out to kill him, Drunk Loser Kid finds out Statham killed his dad, they kill Corporate Guy, Loser Kid tries to kill Statham, but Statham gets away and kills him instead. Roll credits.

In addition to the cookie cutter plot, there were a few other things that annoyed me. 1) Statham's character is utterly unsympathetic. He's a loner who kills people for money. His only female companionship is a hooker. 2) He's supposed to live in the bayou area near New Orleans. His house has glass walls. Never mind that his work depends on secrecy; that's a hurricane zone. 3) I know this is small, but anyway: during the training scene, we see Statham and Drunk Kid shooting various guns. In one show motion cut, someone fires a Barret-type .50 caliber rifle, and the spent casing gets ejected toward the camera. The casing is crimped on the projectile end-- It's a freaking BLANK. Seriously, guys?

Wait for the DVD and watch it with pizza and easily amused friends.
28 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy acting abounds.
PWNYCNY17 February 2011
Being a hit-man has its challenges. Like murdering people for money and then not trying to think about it. After all, hit-man ARE human too and have feelings, just like the rest of us who work at more mundane jobs. The problem with this movie is that the story is so weak that not even the nonstop violence is enough to prop it up. Gratuitous scenes of violence is a telltale sign that a movie is in trouble and this movie is in deep trouble. Besides offering the thinnest of stories, the movie contains what has to be some of the cheesiest acting in recent cinematic history. The movie borders on being campy yet fails to attain that dubious status since it's really not goofy enough to be taken with a grain of salt. In short, the story is stale but without being laughable. The characters are two-dimensional, cartoon-like, and are devoid of anything that sparks even the slightest bit of interest. The violence is pervasive and explicit, but when the targets themselves are vicious, the violence fails to generate any sympathy. A hit-man plotting to assassinate another hit-man just does not make for a dramatic story.
38 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mechanic repairs action genre: The Filmsmith
electrablind28 January 2011
thefilmsmith.com

The iconic bald white guy John McClane is no longer allowed to say his catch phrase on screen, or shoot people who actually ooze blood. So it's good to see another bald white guy take up the action film banner in all its messiness.

Jason Statham plays Arthur Bishop, a mechanic, who whacks guys with the skill to make them look like accidents. Things get dicey when his wheelchair-bound boss Harry McKenna (Donald Sutherland) is killed, and McKenna's vengeful son Steve (Ben Foster) comes looking for an education in the assassin business.

From The Transporter to Crank, Jason Statham is a wrecking ball: you wheel him in to rock the house, but if you're looking for something more riveting between action feats (character development, acting, etc), you need a different tool. Which is where Ben Foster is useful. In the critical darling The Messenger or The Mechanic Foster vibrates with a centered zen that draws you in. Statham may have a menacing mug, but Foster, as the enigmatic Steve, upstages the action star at every turn.

Neither actor benefits from Simon West's direction, since most action scenes are close enough to make out nose hairs, but none of the fisticuffs. Where Statham's physical virtuosity could be showcased, West forces us to be in the scuffle with nary a notion of what's going on. This film doctor prescribes some wide shots from a Jackie Chan film.

Despite directorial issues, some action pieces escape mangling. Hand-to-hand combat is particularly brutal when small-statured Steve goes up against a 300 pound foe and his clever shots with a Glock 9mm make him an admirable badass.

The brutality of these scenes is a change of pace since we've been raised by a decade of PG-13 cop films that avoid the F-Bomb or bits of blood that get a film slapped with an R rating (which equals lower box office receipts and restrictions on advertisements). Foster and Statham dispatch goons in such varied, messy ways you almost feels sorry for the hapless henchmen. The film's blood lust is as dark as its blood stains.

MAJOR SPOILERS, SKIP PARAGRAPHS What's most disappointing about The Mechanic is that it looks to conclude with a poetic equilibrium, yet trades it in for a perfunctory ending that leaves an opening for a sequel.

One of the plot twists to the film is that Arthur is told Harry McKenna crossed the company they both worked for. Arthur kills Harry (who tells Arthur, "I'm glad it was you,"); this leaves dangling tension between Arthur and Harry's son Steve. Once Steve knows Arthur killed his father, the two men stop at a gas station. At this point each of them knows the truth, but neither let on. Which makes it all the more meaningful when Arthur tells Steve, "I'm sorry about everything," in a vague unrelated way, possibly hinting that he knows what Steve is about to do.

Steve walks away from the truck while pumping gas and shoots the gas tank, engulfing Arthur's truck in flames. He then goes back to Arthur's place. A sports car Arthur has been working on is now completed and Steve takes it for a spin. He sees a piece of paper in the passenger seat which tells him "If you're reading this, you're dead." Steve good-naturedly lols before being blown up.

A nice, reciprocal, poetic ending for a couple of assassins.

Until The film cuts to security camera footage of the truck explosion, which shows Arthur rolling away in a comical fast-forward – rewind loop. We then cut to a close up of Arthur leaving the crime scene and driving away in a truck he just happened to have stationed nearby for just such a random occasion.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with this ending – it's just not as fresh as the one hinted at. Having Steve kill our lead guy went against tired action film tropes. The ideal ending would have had Steve drive away with Arthur's sports car (a changing of the guard) or even having them both kill each other, Steve's last words being laughter. That would have been something to talk about.

But no. Kill the most interesting character and leave the block of wood, Statham, standing to live another day – or star in another installment.

MAJOR SPOILERS OVER Yes, I'm disappointed the film didn't follow through on its transcendent ending, but don't let that dissuade you from seeing this. The action sequences will making you think you've been transported to the 1990′s (some digital blood, but otherwise tons of practical effects) and Ben Foster makes it capable of withstanding a second viewing. If you were disappointed by The Expendables, The Mechanic is a good mix of bullets and character to quench your action thirst.

-Remington Smith
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Fan and Ill tell you why
AkiraKyoShi8 March 2011
I rated this pretty high and Im sure a lot of people don't feel its justified considering the original was so incredible but.......the chemistry between Jason and Ben was excellent. Im becoming a big fan of Ben Foster as an action star and with the two of them it was exciting to watch the action sequences. The choreography was awesome and the blood splatter, bullet wounds, looked very good on camera.

The storyline and some other parts were average at best but I think overall with the quality of the acting and the action it was worth the watch.

I look forward to big (bigger) things from Ben Foster.......hopefully.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good
mohammed210520 February 2011
Most people know Jason Statham movies involve high octane action with brilliant fight sequences, you will be happy to know that this film delivers this well, however I believe that a movie with no decent storyline or good characters has no reason being made, even if the action is good. Some of the specifics of the film are ridiculous and some are cliché. Nothing in the story is fresh or original, if you have a good idea of what Jason Statham says or does in his action movies he probably will say and do them in this one, you won't be surprised a lot in this film, one surprise element may pop up but it definitely isn't enough. If you enjoy action movies regardless of the storyline
48 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is broken, no wonder they need a mechanic.
TitusPrime8 February 2011
This remake has managed to do what very few films have accomplished, it made me stop watching it. With no feelings I might miss something and perfect assurance I could have been doing something better than watching a rock video for serial killers. Instead of following the formula that worked in the past the producers and director, this time around decided that it had been missing graphic and brutal depictions of murder, so they fixed it. But ended up breaking something that didn't need fixing.

If your thinking that I am just not into violent films, you would be wrong. Many films have brought the fictional representation of violence to the level of fine art. This is not one of them. In fact I had not it was a remake even. I did see the original though. I caught it late at night just as it started in 1983 on HBO.The film was riveting. I have often thought back to it through the years as a fine example of American action suspense film.

Halfway through this Redux of fail, I began wondering why I was watching it at all. Then I caught a post from a young man reviewing it here, Which said( this film is so lame >>>>> so on and so on.). But what got me was the end of his review. "The movie they based this on must suck to, I will never watch the original." That is pretty damn sad.

I had different issues than the angry young man had with this film. Over all it is well made. I think the director lost his mind and forgot he was making a movie though and attempted to make The Mechanic into the first Blockbuster Snuff Film. The assassinations depicted for these so called professional killers are very close to torture. Long involved scenes of merciless stabbing, choking, crushing, and slicing the contracts they are paid to terminate left me queasy.

By halfway through the film I had lost all consideration for any kind of plot. I no longer cared for, or could root for either of the main characters. Once you start thinking that your main heroes should both be lobotomized and incarcerated for life because they are sociopaths, its pretty hard to care if there is a story .

All I remember is how bad I felt for the people I was supposed to not care about or even dislike; as they died. So in my opinion, this film was wretched, and forever tarnished the good name of a foundational piece of American Cinema.
39 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A remake that actually follows the original quite well!
brockwilson3 March 2011
You don't see enough accurate remakes of movies these days, and that's why I was particularly happy with this one.

To start off on a different note, I've never quite enjoyed the on screen pleasure of Jason statham much. I'll let ya know that right up front as a guy who doesn't necessarily flock to the theatre every time I hear about one of his new films coming out. As well, I must confess, I've never seen the original (The Mechanic (1972)) either, but I have read a very detailed and accurate storyline/review of it, and it seems that based on the specific events that take place in each Mechanic film are quite accurate between one another. As well, it seems, from comparison, watching the remake, and knowing the stars of the original (the mechanic being Charles Bronson) that both sets of actors seem to fit the role quite well for this typical turn your mind off and watch stuff explode and plans go wrong action film. There is a few humorous moments as well. Kind of tongue in cheek, and dark humour combined, in both the original and remake of this film. Take a look if you like any of the contributing aspects this movie has to offer.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant from Statham as usual
tr9125 August 2013
Jason Statham is one of my favourite actors and I'm gradually getting round to seeing all of his films. It's very rare that they disappoint, this one certainly didn't.

Jason Statham is just superb as 'The Mechanic'. He just really suits these sort of film roles, he's a proper bad-ass. Ben Foster also put in a very good performance alongside Jason. The action is fast paced when it gets going and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is filmed really well and the stunts/action scenes look really good.

The plot is good and keeps you guessing with a few twists along the way. The film is pretty violent and there are a few scenes in particular that might make you wince a little.

Overall a very enjoyable film. Just good solid action, definitely worth watching.

8/10.
Lifeless, dark and dumb
Marvelouis16 February 2011
Remake status aside, this film delivers nothing special and in fact, offers no one to root for or connect with in any way. The plot itself makes little sense and the reasoning behind just about everyone's actions is absurd. I remember watching the original Mechanic featuring Charles Bronson many years ago but I honestly can't remember the plot or circumstances of that film. I don't remember it being this lifeless, dark and dumb. Maybe I'll have to refresh my memory because it'll be interesting to compare the two movies but I can't imagine the original being this bad and not registering with me years ago. The sad thing is that I really like the cast here and was hoping to see them shine.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Professional hit men at their best
the-movie-guy28 January 2011
(Synopsis) Arthur Bishop (Jason Statham) is the "mechanic," which actually means professional assassin for hire. Bishop is the best in the business of eliminating targets, and making it look like an accident, meticulously setting up every detail of the hit. The hit is perfect when no one knows that he was ever there. Bishop's mentor and friend Harry McKenna (Donald Sutherland) dies, and Bishop takes Harry's son Steve (Ben Foster) under his wing to teach him the business. Together, they are one force; you don't want to be within their gun sights!

(My Comment) This is a story of professional killers in action, and in this movie you will get plenty of action sequences and explosions. Usually Bishop is detached from his assignment, but when he goes after the people responsible for Harry's death, all he wants is vengeance. Jason Statham's outstanding performance as the cool killing machine was right on target. Ben Foster's character of killing his target is a little more complicated than killing someone the easy way. There is a lot more brutality; however Steve pays the price for not following what Bishop taught him. In one scene where Bishop questions a body guard at his home to get his boss' address, he goes way over the top. Overall, I liked this action packed movie, but it is over before you know it. (CBS Films, 1:32 Rated R) (8/10)
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mechanic reeks of unoriginality.
Troy_Campbell26 March 2011
The Mechanic reeks of unoriginality. And I'm not talking about the fact it's a remake of a Charles Bronson flick from 1972. It's the stale screenplay by Richard Wenk and Lewis John Carlino, and the uninspired approach from director Simon West (Con Air, Tomb Raider) that had me feeling like I had already seen The Mechanic numerous times before. The set-pieces are sporadically enjoyable, granted, but everything else surrounding those fleetingly good moments are dripping in dullness. The plot is predictable, the characters are one dimensional and the violence – although gory – is hardly entertaining. Even the soundtrack is strangely boring.

Since his double whammy debut of Lock, Stock and Snatch Jason Statham has churned out cookie-cutter action flicks like they're going out of fashion. He's starred in everything from the good – Crank, The Italian Job, Death Race – to the bad – The Expendables, the Transporter trilogy, Cellular – to the ugly – Ghosts of Mars, In the Name of the King. Perhaps he's worried one day he'll be out of the job; a likely outcome if he insists on starring in underwhelming vehicles such as this. The Stath needs to take a few risks and steer away from the calm, cool and collected bad-ass that he's apparently so comfortable playing.

He's given capable support in the way of Ben Foster, a young actor who hasn't wholly delivered on the promise he showed a few years ago. Foster proved with his remarkable performance in 3:10 to Yuma that he can do the eerie, menacing type, complete with charisma and flair, however here his quiet craziness lacks the same gravitas. Elsewhere, old timer Sutherland is completely redundant and Goldwyn is neither threatening nor humorous as the wimpy, boring bad guy. To be honest, the cast aren't given much to work with past clichéd characters and stilted dialogue, but then why in the name of decent film selection did they sign on for this? There's nothing on offer here that you haven't already seen throughout Statham's career.

2 out of 5 (1 - Rubbish, 2 - Average, 3 - Good, 4 - Great, 5 - Brilliant)
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Crass American equivalent to Corbijn's European The American (ooh the irony)
destroy-apathy30 January 2011
Creators: Directed by Simon West, director of the legendary Con Air (didn't know this before viewing; no wonder I was so pleasantly surprised) Story and Screenplay by Lewis John Carlino, writer of the 1972 version (Ignorantly, I had previously no idea of this original's existence). Richard Wenk (16 Blocks) also contributing to the screenplay

What Happened: Plain and simple action/hit-man genre film. Jason Statham's Arthur Bishop takes under his wing Steve McKenna (Ben Foster), the son of his old friend/mentor Harry McKenna (Donald Sutherland) - who also happens to be his last hit. Bishop tries to bring him up to his regimented standard, but the youthful, unruly McKenna has his own eccentric style. Plenty of over-masculine shenanigans and brutal deaths ensue.

Theme/Message: As a non-ironic display of machismo it is important to concede that most of the point of this film existing is for the spectacle of things blowing up, brains blowing out and screwdrivers rammed through faces. Reading past this a little, I thought that there was a thinly veiled idea that both ends of a spectrum are not healthy. There seemed to be an effort to promote the balance between the overly formulaic control freak (Bishop) and the chaotic, out of control degenerate (McKenna), but this theory didn't hold up toward the end. I don't know if having one of the most physically intimidating and brutish displays of might come from a gay hit-man was some way of counteracting its unapologetic masculinity or not, but it was something to note.

What it did particularly well: The brutality really was entertaining. I was expecting Transporter levels of action, but that wasn't what the film was about. It was a little slower paced than that, but with the violence in the action sequences really ramped up and very graphic. The two leads were really crassly entertaining; never did the uber-machismo bother me, as it sometimes tends to (I'm looking at you Expendables). It was like a really unsophisticated version Corbijn's The American (complete with ridiculously attractive prostitute). In fact, considering The American was a very European film - itself an ironic concept - this was like an American version of The American - Irony overdrive. The film was paced really well too; both the action and the character development (yes it did have a little) were nicely spread throughout so that there were no lulls.

What unimpressed or didn't quite reach potential: Certain plot holes that were a little unforgivable, e.g. when they explained that McKenna was able to make a connection with their next mark because this is his first job. Really, the son of one of the biggest names in hit-man organisation wouldn't ring any alarms to a professional doing some background checks?

Performance of the film: Ben Foster was really something. Still has that slightly psychotic look in his eyes that he had back in Six Feet Under, but he really impresses as a competent and charismatic action star, with his own unique edge. (He was also my best performance of 30 Days of Night)

Scene of the film: Steve McKenna blasting his way out of a pretty dire situation and thus convincing me of both the character's elite status in this film and of the young actor's potential to be a great action star (he can actually even act)

Most outstanding or memorable feature: Brutality of the action.

More film musings and the like at destroy-apathy.blogspot.com or on twitter: @destroyapathy
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.