The Dark Knight (2008) Poster

6,443 Reviews
MR-ODIN12 February 2020
Confidently directed, dark, brooding, and packed with impressive action sequences and a complex story, The Dark Knight includes a career-defining turn from Heath Ledger as well as other Oscar worthy performances, TDK remains not only the best Batman movie, but comic book movie ever created.
492 out of 531 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This town deserves a better class of criminal!
dseferaj17 February 2021
This movie is a work of art. The finest sequel ever made. I don't think we will see another movie like this for a long time. Heath Ledger's Joker is the best movie charachter I have ever seen by far. Avengers Endgame is great, but The Dark Knight is much better. The best Batman ever! The best Joker ever! The best DC movie ever! The best superhero movie ever! Ando for me, the best movie ever!
141 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERPIECE
Aegontheconqueror7 October 2019
It is just what you want for the best movie. Great story great acting, thrilling twist. Just watched Joker in 2019, I just has to come back and give dark knight a 10. And thanks to Heath Ledger for the exceptional performs.
258 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Batman Of Shakesperean Proportions
littlemartinarocena24 July 2008
Dark, yes, complex, ambitious. Christopher Nolan and his co-writer Jonathan Nolan deserve a standing ovation. I don't usually go for loud movies filled with mindless gore and violence. "The Dark Knight" is certainly loud and violent but it's not mindless. It has depth and soul. Even the Joker, in an extraordinary creation by Heath Ledger, is deeply human. The natural petulance of Christian Bale makes his ego and alter ego the most fascinating and complex of all film superheroes. Part of the genius of this movie is that Batman himself, in screen time, is not really the lead. My attention was captivated by Heath Ledger and he determines and inspires the breathtaking atmosphere that envelopes Gotham as well as us. The aplomb of Christopher Nolan as a director is mind blowing and his secret, I believe, is his obvious respect for his audience. What he's done is to elevate a popular genre into Shakesperean proportions. Bravo!
446 out of 585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger's Dark and Brilliant Swan Song
filmquestint20 July 2008
I couldn't believe "The Dark knight" could live up to the hype. That's perhaps the biggest surprise. The secret, I believe, is a stunning, mature, intelligent script. That makes it the best superhero movie ever made. As if that wasn't enough, Heath Ledger. He, the newest of the tragic modern icons present us with a preview of something we'll never see. A fearless, extraordinary actor capable to fill up with humanity even the most grotesque of villains. His performance is a master class. Fortunately, Christian Bale's Batman is almost a supporting character. Bale is good but there is something around his mouth that stops him from being great. "The Dark Knight" is visually stunning, powerful and moving. What else could anyone want.
610 out of 773 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the IMAX version if you can
kosmasp14 September 2008
I had the pleasure to watch this movie in an IMAX theatre in London (it advertises itself, with the slogan "Biggest screen in the UK"), which was one of the greatest movie experiences I had in my life. And it was my first movie in an IMAX theatre. I can only recommend it for anyone who has the chance to watch it, even if not the entire movie is shot for an IMAX theatre, this still is able to blow someone away! Great visuals combined with a great story and superb acting.

The movie could also have been called "The Joker", but even with Heath Ledgers great performance, this still is a Batman movie. And "The Dark Knight" is clear enough, even without the Batman in the title. I simply loved the movie, but I heard some complaints from some friends. It seems that some might have a problem with the depiction of the characters (I loved Heath Ledger, but there are a few out there who would have wanted to see him even crazier) or the plot threads (especially what is done with the character of Aaron Eckhart). Although I can see why that might be a problem for fans of the comic books, I still stand by my vote. This is the best Batman movie ever (until hopefully Nolan and Bale make the next one)!
50 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surpasses "Begins" in every aspect!!!
johnnymacbest7 July 2008
Christopher Nolan's second bundle of joy "The Dark Knight" EXCEEDED all of my expectations!!! With the success of 2005's reboot of the Batman franchise, they took what was already established and expanded it, amped it up, and gave a deeper, darker and brooding story that is more gripping and the suspense is likely to catch you of guard several times throughout. Christian Bale delves more deeper into Batman, sworn to fight evil and injustice, though also quite reluctant and uncertain if his crusade can ever end and cleanse his inner turmoil from his fractured soul due to the murder of his beloved parents. But with the help of his trusted butler/ally Alfred (played superbly by Michael Cane) grounds him, gives him moral support, and keeps him in check. But the real star of the show is Heath Ledger as Batman's most deadly enemy, The Joker. I can HONESTLY tell you that: as good as Jack Nicholson was in Batman'89 he is CHILD'S PLAY compared to this Joker. He is sadistic, psychotic, and downright SCARIER and PSYCHOLOGICALLY disturbing than the previous incarnation of The Clown Prince of Crime and Ledger gives it his all to do him justice. Along with the original cast comes some fresh faces such as Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and more. I must say though I liked Katie Holmes, Gyllenhaal gives a much better performance and is a far cry from the "damsel-in-distress" stereotype (though there's a little of it, THANKFULLY) that's common in films. Bale and Gyllenhall have MUCH better chemistry this time around more so than Holmes. Even better, the fight sequences are vastly improved and feature more brutal and bone crushing combat than "Begins" in addition to new technology at Batman's disposal. Also worth mentioning is screenwriter Jonathan Nolan, who gives the film an added frosting to an already delicious cake. Simply put, The Dark Knight is totally more bad ass than "Begins." The action is great, and the plot is more deeper and engrossing. I applaud Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, and especially Heath Ledger (who sadly passed away earlier this year) and all those aboard for believing in Mr. Nolan's talents for this second installment. Although some may feel a bit of melancholy over Ledger's death, but as a final note I will say this sincerely from my heart: Remember Heath Ledger and honor him in your minds and hearts not only for his performances, but as a human being and father to his daughter Matilda Ledger. May we issue him best wishes for his family and friends and his daughter for years to come. Remember . . . Honor him not only for this role and past roles, but as an incredible individual and talented actor. Rest in peace. Heath Ledger: 4/4/1979-1/22/2008.
2,393 out of 3,403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
elmerivikki9 January 2021
Totally one of the greatest movie titles ever made. Everything was great, filming, acting, story. Nothing to complain about
194 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger
redbullrex22 January 2021
If someone else acted as Joker, I would give the movie 7-8 stars. The majority of people ended up loving the villain more than the hero, and that rarely happends in movies.

Rest in peace Heath Ledger.
76 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christopher Nolan back at it again.
iamanoob09 December 2020
What can I say, it was made by Christopher Nolan so it has to be good. Amazing action. Amazing characters. Amazing director. The Dark Knight has everything. I have no problems with this movie. But the thing keeping me back from giving this movie a 10 is that something about it just didn't fully connect with me.

Overall rating: 9.4.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a movie!!
khizernawaz24 April 2020
Perfect, greatest movie.. the plot, action, storyline everything is best , best
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sequel we deserved to the Batman we wanted
guerillagorilla16 July 2008
I used to leave a theatre after seeing a highly anticipated movie, specifically a sequel, and be so revved up about what I saw that I would declare that movie to be the best of a series. After each of the prequel "Star Wars" films, I rated that one the best, as good as any of the originals...for a time, until my opinion balanced out and I had a more well-rounded take. For that reason, I steer away from that mindset, and did for "Dark Knight".

Though my opinion is solidifying already after having seen a Warner Bros. screening last night, "Dark Knight" ably stands on its own with or without "Batman Begins". At a two and a half hour runtime, it's definitely an epic of a movie, but one that never runs out of gas. A delightful addition to this experience was a healthy amount of IMAX footage, which significantly adds to the feel of being on a personal, and gruesome, tour of Gotham City.

Christian Bale plays such a well rounded Batman and Bruce Wayne, qualities that none of those who have donned the cowl before him have pulled off. I still have to remember that Bale is British since he speaks with such a spot on American accent. Bale has a particular slurring lisp that serves him quite well, charmingly for Bruce Wayne and threateningly for Batman.

Countering him is the late Heath Ledger, who plays such a scary and creepy Joker that I found it impossible to NOT have chills half the time I saw him on screen. What really separates this brand of Joker from Jack Nicholson's portrayal is true unpredictability. It's obvious that, to be a good guy and think like the Joker, it really takes a toll, and it sure isn't easy. How exactly does one take him down when he's woven his harebrained plot around multiple hostages, explosives, or disappearing parlor tricks?

Initially, I was uneasy about how the character of Harvey Dent would be handled. In my mind, there was really only one faithful portrayal of him, and that could be found in the "Batman" animated series of the early 90s. As well as Tommy Lee Jones COULD have handled him in "Batman Forever", he certainly did not, though it still was a highlight of that movie. Aaron Eckhart ably assumes the mantle here, delivering a performance out of this world, easily on par with the Batman animated series.

Be it known, this caped avenger stands for the good of Gotham City that the police force and its counterparts can't represent, the good that has no jurisdiction, no procedures...and no rules, save for one. I can only hope that we've seen just the prelude to the Dark Knight's upcoming legendary battles with the worst of Gotham City's dark underside.

"The Dark Knight" gets a solid 10 of 10 stars.
1,333 out of 1,936 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Most Realistic True to Heart Movie Based on Comic Books.
Impartial-Reviewer20 February 2020
A brilliant tense movie from the beginning to the end in which tells the story of the rising new menace in Gotham city known only as the Joker and how the Dark Knight has to reach his limits trying to control the havoc he breaks in Gotham city.

The movie is an extraordinary piece of the filmmaking art in all its aspects, the plot is carefully and smartly written as a intricately wrought canvas, the character development is very satisfying, the movie was shot well and nicely directed, the epic score fits the scenes and add up to the whole visual experience, the acting was intense by all cast where each fit their role perfectly, specially Heath Ledger who managed after all these years of having the Joker around in comic books, animations, TV series and even movies to literally bring this complicated character with all its twisted, brilliant, sadistic, dark and sometimes funny personality to live on the big screen. This is the last movie that Heath Ledger filmed completely and I believe some how he saved the best for last as he managed to put an outstanding final act of a realistic Joker and managed to put a smile on our faces before death brings down the curtains on his talent.
69 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best in it's class and much more
sjvkarki16 January 2021
This is the best superhero movie ever made!!!! If you like to watch superhero movies then you should definitely watch this.

However, I must say that this movie is much more than just a superhero movie. If you don't like superhero movie but want to watch a good drama/action movie then this is one of the best.
37 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind Blowing
nowego16 May 2017
I am not a huge fan of sequels and it is hard to write a review about what I see as one of the most perfect movies I have had the privilege to see.

The Nolan brothers have done a brilliant job with this sequel to the critically acclaimed Batman Begins of 2005.

Heath Ledger as the Joker virtually steals the movie, add him to Christian Bale as Batman, Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent and Michael Caine as Alfred, then add the brilliant Morgan Freeman and the ever reliable Gary Oldman in their respective roles and you have an absolutely brilliant cast to work their magic.

I am not as eloquent as many of the reviewers on this site who have gushed superlatives about this movie in 1000 words or less, but my short review will suffice for me to get across my opinion.

If you have not already seen this movie after 9 years you have really missed out on one of the entertainment experiences of life that you could have very cheaply experienced by now.

You owe it to yourself to get a copy of this somehow and see it.

One of the easiest movies to rate 10 out of 10.
Heath Ledger makes this great
SnoopyStyle1 November 2013
Batman takes on the crime lords with the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent. However an even bigger evil rises to terrorize Gotham.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is an improvement over Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. Aaron Eckhart adds a good performance as Harvey Dent. In the end, this is Heath Ledger's movie. He overpowers everybody. His early death may have immortalized him, but my opinion isn't inflated. His presence is electric. It helps that his character is so ridiculously crazy. His motivation has nothing to do with power or money which is so mundane. He wants chaos and that is so much more fascinating. Heath Ledger makes this movie great. And it surpasses the series reboot 'Batman Begins'.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Modern Masterpiece
tjgoalie136 May 2015
A modern masterpiece of 21st Century Cinema. The Dark Knight combines great direction, with brilliant acting, and beautiful cinematography to create a film that transcends it genres and becomes a great film. This will remain a perfect example of why film is still worth shooting in, why practical effects should not be a thing of the past, and why the Oscars should pay attention to comic book films as they can be art in their own right. It serves as a comic book film, but also a tragedy of Shakespearean quality, with one of the best villains of the last 20 years. On top of that Christopher Nolan's unflinching faith in practical effects creates a truly realistic and beautiful experience.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger is a ledgend!
rustyalex216 July 2008
Well here it is, one of the most anticipated movies of the year so far. How was it? It was excellent. By far the best Batman film ever made and of course it will be one of the most memorable action films for a long while.

Everyone was waiting to see how well Heath Ledger performed as The Joker in this film. He definitely deserves an Oscar in his honor. The character was so dark and creepy that it sent chills up my back. Compared to Heath's other films like '10 Things I Hate About You' and even 'Brokeback Mountain' proves that this man could actually act, doesn't matter what character, he could do it.

The film's storyline has many twists and all are rewarding, the story is developed constantly after each scene, making you wonder what's next. Excellent craft and flows well towards the conclusion.

During the film on the scene with Batman against the Joker, Bike vs Truck. People thought this was the ending. No, it kept going which was awesome, the story kept getting darker and darker, I guess that's why they called it the 'Dark' Knight as well as the relation to Batman himself.

The cast was great. With Christopher Nolan playing Batman, good performance, Heath Ledger played extremely well, Maggie was annoying at times, but still deserves to be praised. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman had minor roles which satisfied the audiences. Aaron Eckhart starts with a minor role which slowly progresses and becomes evil which is quite surprising and entertaining to watch.

Great directing made the movie enjoyable, they added more action this time which made the film feel powerful, lighting was done well especially showing Harvey/ Two Face's face in the many moods he displayed.

Great explosions made it entertaining. Made you feel great that this is finally the best action to come in a long time.

This movie deserves a 10/10 rating and credit on behalf of the great young actor Heath Ledger's life. (May he R.I.P) His performance made what this film is right now.

I recommend this film for any action fan, especially a Batman fan. Or if your even a Heath Ledger fan. Go ahead right now and see this film. It's great!
204 out of 299 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
auuwws19 October 2020
Excellent film and great performance by Heath Ledger
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindblowing
RayCharles8124 November 2019
I thought I was getting a clever comic book movie. Instead, I got a profound, chilling introspection on good vs evil with allegorical references to God vs Satan, good vs evil, and social-political and true life realities that made me cry as the credits rolled at just the powerful, brilliant fil experience it was.

I was enthralled and mesmerized with what the director and writers were doing to something that was only supposed to be a Batman movie. I've now seen it at least 10 times, and I still get the same feeling. This is big budget, blockbuster filmmaking at its absolute best for the ages, a top 10 movie of all-time.
One of the best movies
maka1215 January 2021
The actors, the script, the scenery make it one of the best movies I have ever seen. The best-played character of the joker is amazing. That's how I imagined him. In the film, he is portrayed as an ultra-intelligent person with a psychopathic "brain". Honestly, I was very surprised that someone known for their niche productions would play such a good role as one of the most important characters in the Batman series. Unfortunately, we will probably never see the joker so well again, because Heath Ledger, from unknown circumstances, died. This is sad news. However, back to the movie. The main character, Batman, played by Christian Bale, also shows the character very well. Therefore, my rating for this movie is 10/10.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect combo
harrybhangu12 January 2021
Best movie ever. Heath ledger's work is phenomenal no words......
230 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9.4 Top Contender for 'Best Superhero Movie'
has1er14 January 2021
*level of enjoyment* #10 top tier - from start to finish The Dark Knight has you on the edge of your seat, enjoying every minute

*likelihood to recommend* #10 highest recommendation - if you haven't seen it, watch it, it is a masterpiece, the downside? likely to put all future Batman features to shame

*quality of acting* #9 excellent - Bale is the gold standard Batman, gruff, tough, aloof, positively fueled by the tragedies of his dark past. Ledger is the nightmare villain, twisted, evil, unapologetic, irrational, completely void of a moral compass

*quality of writing* #10 perfection - one of those movies you wish you could have a memory edit in order to watch again and again

*quality of intangibles* #8 excellent - visual is on point, dark gloomy Gotham, perfect setting for a hero to operate and succeed from the shadows very good - music and sound puts viewers in the mood and anticipating the next intense scene
59 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing non-stop action and eye-popping skyscraper scenes!
planktonrules24 July 2008
I first need to point out that I generally hate action films--they just aren't a genre I generally would go to see. However, my teenage daughter saw the film and DEMANDED that we immediately go to an IMAX-equipped theater and see it as soon as possible. Had I not agreed, I think she would have threatened force or threaten to leave home, so I reluctantly agreed. I'm pointing all this out up front so you'll understand that if I didn't give this movie a 10 and found a few minor problems with the plot, it's probably because of my bias. However, for me to give an action film a 9 is very, very unusual--it was a terrific film and almost earns a 10.

As far as action goes, it was nearly non-stop and there were more eye-popping stunts in it than nearly any film you could see. Plus, I truly recommend that if you do have an IMAX theater nearby that is showing it you go there and not to a regular theater. The sounds, the sights and the action are just amazing on this huge screen--and in hindsight I probably should have taken my hearing aids out before the film began--I DIDN'T need them! For many, this will make the film a must-see, though I admit that it was was a bit tiring after a while--for an old fogy like myself, maybe there was a bit too much action--though teens and action fans will adore it.

The characters were excellent--with the possible exception of Batman. He was fine, but I wish he'd have stopped mumbling in his deep voice. This made him a lot less interesting and perhaps less likable than the villains!! As for the villains, the Joker was great and very, very sadistic and I liked Harvey Dent as well (especially after his cool makeup job late in the film). Oddly, perhaps my favorite character was a guy who was only a bit character--Tommy 'Tiny' Lister who played one of the scariest prisoners I have ever seen in film. His bit part on the ferry boat was really exceptional.

Overall, this film is better than any superhero film I have ever seen and much better than the earlier Batman films. My only serious problem was the ending--what Gordon and Batman agree to do made no sense at all and wasn't necessary. Still, with such amazing eye-candy, who am I to complain? A wonderful ride and a must-see movie for action and superhero fans. HOWEVER, it is a very violent film intended for adults--I would not take kids or even some teens to the film--it's THAT dark and intense.

As of today (7/26/08), this is by far the highest rated film on IMDb. If these numbers can be believed, this film is better than THE GODFATHER, CASABLANCA, GONE WITH THE WIND and 12 ANGRY MEN! Let's have a bit of perspective here--it's a very, very good film but the cult members out there need to get a grip.
67 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good evening comissiner
adambarta17 September 2020
Its one od the best movies of decade,centuries and millenium! Its drama,Action,unexpected thrill that is everywhere and heath ledgers joker is unforgetable. I know you're saying that it cannot be the best and all of this stuff but WHY SO SERIOUS?
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.