The Dark Knight (2008) Poster

5,680 Reviews
Perfect combo
harrybhangu12 January 2021
Best movie ever. Heath ledger's work is phenomenal no words......
71 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dark Knight
elmerivikki9 January 2021
Totally one of the greatest movie titles ever made. Everything was great, filming, acting, story. Nothing to complain about
42 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dark Knight
MR_Heraclius12 February 2020
Confidently directed, dark, brooding, and packed with impressive action sequences and a complex story, The Dark Knight includes a career-defining turn from Heath Ledger as well as other Oscar worthy performances, TDK remains not only the best Batman movie, but comic book movie ever created.
427 out of 504 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERPIECE
Aegontheconqueror7 October 2019
It is just what you want for the best movie. Great story great acting, thrilling twist. Just watched Joker in 2019, I just has to come back and give dark knight a 10. And thanks to Heath Ledger for the exceptional performs.
192 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film surpasses the hype
straightblaster9 July 2008
We've been subjected to enormous amounts of hype and marketing for the Dark Knight. We've seen Joker scavenger hunts and one of the largest viral campaigns in advertising history and it culminates with the actual release of the movie.

Everything that's been said is pretty much spot on. This is the first time I can remember where a summer blockbuster film far surpasses the hype.

For as much action as there is in this movie, it's the acting that makes it a great piece of work. Between all the punches, explosions and stunt-work is some great dialog work. All the actors have their moments.

Bale's Batman is the definitive Batman because we see everything in this character finally on film. Martial arts skills, cunning, great tactical thinking, forensic application, technological genius to advance or improve Luscious Fox's inventions/technological breakthroughs, intimidating personality, and even a little swashbuckling.

As for Heath, yes he gets credit for his performance as the Joker. But you have to also recognize Jonathan and Chris Nolan for the writing and treatment of the character. It's not just the fact that Ledger makes the Joker so menacing, but the Nolans have given the character this great manifesto that drives its actions. The Joker's stance on chaos, order, anarchy, the morality of the average modern human being make the character so interesting psychologically. The Nolans drafted a complex character and only a perfect performance could've pulled something like this off. That's how difficult of a role this was, and that's why Ledger's performance is so great.

This isn't an action movie. It's a film that explores literary themes of the hero and villain, as well as order and anarchy. Yes, listen to the dialog because it's all in there.
3,934 out of 4,982 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9.4 Top Contender for 'Best Superhero Movie'
has1er14 January 2021
*level of enjoyment* #10 top tier - from start to finish The Dark Knight has you on the edge of your seat, enjoying every minute

*likelihood to recommend* #10 highest recommendation - if you haven't seen it, watch it, it is a masterpiece, the downside? likely to put all future Batman features to shame

*quality of acting* #9 excellent - Bale is the gold standard Batman, gruff, tough, aloof, positively fueled by the tragedies of his dark past. Ledger is the nightmare villain, twisted, evil, unapologetic, irrational, completely void of a moral compass

*quality of writing* #10 perfection - one of those movies you wish you could have a memory edit in order to watch again and again

*quality of intangibles* #8 excellent - visual is on point, dark gloomy Gotham, perfect setting for a hero to operate and succeed from the shadows very good - music and sound puts viewers in the mood and anticipating the next intense scene
46 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger's Dark and Brilliant Swan Song
filmquestint20 July 2008
I couldn't believe "The Dark knight" could live up to the hype. That's perhaps the biggest surprise. The secret, I believe, is a stunning, mature, intelligent script. That makes it the best superhero movie ever made. As if that wasn't enough, Heath Ledger. He, the newest of the tragic modern icons present us with a preview of something we'll never see. A fearless, extraordinary actor capable to fill up with humanity even the most grotesque of villains. His performance is a master class. Fortunately, Christian Bale's Batman is almost a supporting character. Bale is good but there is something around his mouth that stops him from being great. "The Dark Knight" is visually stunning, powerful and moving. What else could anyone want.
623 out of 792 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best in it's class and much more
sjvkarki16 January 2021
This is the best superhero movie ever made!!!! If you like to watch superhero movies then you should definitely watch this.

However, I must say that this movie is much more than just a superhero movie. If you don't like superhero movie but want to watch a good drama/action movie then this is one of the best.
33 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie ever
mahmoudr-1345119 January 2021
The dark knight is the best movie I have ever seen in my life
40 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie
sojisabu20 January 2021
Everything in this movie is perfect. Joker (Heath ledger ) nailed it. I love the cinematography. And nolans directing.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic!
krazycrukids11 January 2012
Im just gonna start off by saying I LOVE this movie.Its one of my favorites of all time. I honestly cant think of too much wrong with this movie other than its a little long and Batmans by now infamous voice. But everything else is top notch. The acting,story,atmosphere,and actions scenes are all amazing. If you haven't seen this movie see it right now! I went into this not expecting to much but I came out blown away, I cant imagine any movie being much better. I'll just have to wait for The Dark Knight Rises to release to see if anything can be better. Until then, this stands as the best movie I've ever seen
330 out of 427 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger
redbullrex22 January 2021
If someone else acted as Joker, I would give the movie 7-8 stars. The majority of people ended up loving the villain more than the hero, and that rarely happends in movies.

Rest in peace Heath Ledger.
29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best Superhero movies EVER!!!!!!!
baltazar0715 January 2012
I saw the dark knight about three years ago when I was in the 8th grade. And I was blown away at how beautifully done it was, the camera work, the acting, the story, it all took me by surprise. It is to this day one of the best movies I have ever seen or will see. No other movie can impact you in such an intense way than The Dark Knight. It is a movie worth seeing due to the fact that the workers put so much time and effort into this one film and they did not want to waste money putting up garbage. So Christopher Nolan, thank you for not wasting our time, instead earning our time with this film. To this day I still am anxious to see the movie at home. I recommend it to anyone who likes action movies in general. To anyone who doesn't, don't waste your time write bad reviews about this film.
299 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies
maka1215 January 2021
The actors, the script, the scenery make it one of the best movies I have ever seen. The best-played character of the joker is amazing. That's how I imagined him. In the film, he is portrayed as an ultra-intelligent person with a psychopathic "brain". Honestly, I was very surprised that someone known for their niche productions would play such a good role as one of the most important characters in the Batman series. Unfortunately, we will probably never see the joker so well again, because Heath Ledger, from unknown circumstances, died. This is sad news. However, back to the movie. The main character, Batman, played by Christian Bale, also shows the character very well. Therefore, my rating for this movie is 10/10.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Batman Of Shakesperean Proportions
littlemartinarocena24 July 2008
Dark, yes, complex, ambitious. Christopher Nolan and his co-writer Jonathan Nolan deserve a standing ovation. I don't usually go for loud movies filled with mindless gore and violence. "The Dark Knight" is certainly loud and violent but it's not mindless. It has depth and soul. Even the Joker, in an extraordinary creation by Heath Ledger, is deeply human. The natural petulance of Christian Bale makes his ego and alter ego the most fascinating and complex of all film superheroes. Part of the genius of this movie is that Batman himself, in screen time, is not really the lead. My attention was captivated by Heath Ledger and he determines and inspires the breathtaking atmosphere that envelopes Gotham as well as us. The aplomb of Christopher Nolan as a director is mind blowing and his secret, I believe, is his obvious respect for his audience. What he's done is to elevate a popular genre into Shakesperean proportions. Bravo!
437 out of 585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Most Realistic True to Heart Movie Based on Comic Books.
Impartial-Critic20 February 2020
A brilliant tense movie from the beginning to the end in which tells the story of the rising new menace in Gotham city known only as the Joker and how the Dark Knight has to reach his limits trying to control the havoc he breaks in Gotham city.

The movie is an extraordinary piece of the filmmaking art in all its aspects, the plot is carefully and smartly written as a intricately wrought canvas, the character development is very satisfying, the movie was shot well and nicely directed, the epic score fits the scenes and add up to the whole visual experience, the acting was intense by all cast where each fit their role perfectly, specially Heath Ledger who managed after all these years of having the Joker around in comic books, animations, TV series and even movies to literally bring this complicated character with all its twisted, brilliant, sadistic, dark and sometimes funny personality to live on the big screen. This is the last movie that Heath Ledger filmed completely and I believe some how he saved the best for last as he managed to put an outstanding final act of a realistic Joker and managed to put a smile on our faces before death brings down the curtains on his talent.
88 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By far the BEST Batman movie .
andreadave-8169915 January 2021
I was never much for Batman movies but Christian Bale was by far the BEST Batman EVER ,paired with Heath Ledger and the dynamic was incredible, I believe that Heath Ledger was the BEST 'Joker, and his portrayal of the Joker in the movie of the same name was sheer brilliance. The best coupling by far, in fact when I used to have my grandson over we watched Batman 'The dark night' repeatedly. Loved this movie.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surpasses "Begins" in every aspect!!!
johnnymacbest7 July 2008
Christopher Nolan's second bundle of joy "The Dark Knight" EXCEEDED all of my expectations!!! With the success of 2005's reboot of the Batman franchise, they took what was already established and expanded it, amped it up, and gave a deeper, darker and brooding story that is more gripping and the suspense is likely to catch you of guard several times throughout. Christian Bale delves more deeper into Batman, sworn to fight evil and injustice, though also quite reluctant and uncertain if his crusade can ever end and cleanse his inner turmoil from his fractured soul due to the murder of his beloved parents. But with the help of his trusted butler/ally Alfred (played superbly by Michael Cane) grounds him, gives him moral support, and keeps him in check. But the real star of the show is Heath Ledger as Batman's most deadly enemy, The Joker. I can HONESTLY tell you that: as good as Jack Nicholson was in Batman'89 he is CHILD'S PLAY compared to this Joker. He is sadistic, psychotic, and downright SCARIER and PSYCHOLOGICALLY disturbing than the previous incarnation of The Clown Prince of Crime and Ledger gives it his all to do him justice. Along with the original cast comes some fresh faces such as Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and more. I must say though I liked Katie Holmes, Gyllenhaal gives a much better performance and is a far cry from the "damsel-in-distress" stereotype (though there's a little of it, THANKFULLY) that's common in films. Bale and Gyllenhall have MUCH better chemistry this time around more so than Holmes. Even better, the fight sequences are vastly improved and feature more brutal and bone crushing combat than "Begins" in addition to new technology at Batman's disposal. Also worth mentioning is screenwriter Jonathan Nolan, who gives the film an added frosting to an already delicious cake. Simply put, The Dark Knight is totally more bad ass than "Begins." The action is great, and the plot is more deeper and engrossing. I applaud Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, and especially Heath Ledger (who sadly passed away earlier this year) and all those aboard for believing in Mr. Nolan's talents for this second installment. Although some may feel a bit of melancholy over Ledger's death, but as a final note I will say this sincerely from my heart: Remember Heath Ledger and honor him in your minds and hearts not only for his performances, but as a human being and father to his daughter Matilda Ledger. May we issue him best wishes for his family and friends and his daughter for years to come. Remember . . . Honor him not only for this role and past roles, but as an incredible individual and talented actor. Rest in peace. Heath Ledger: 4/4/1979-1/22/2008.
2,434 out of 3,485 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christopher Nolan back at it again.
maxwellvinh9 December 2020
What can I say, it was made by Christopher Nolan so it has to be good. Amazing action. Amazing characters. Amazing director. This movie has everything. Literally nothing wrong with the Dark Knight.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sequel we deserved to the Batman we wanted
guerillagorilla16 July 2008
I used to leave a theatre after seeing a highly anticipated movie, specifically a sequel, and be so revved up about what I saw that I would declare that movie to be the best of a series. After each of the prequel "Star Wars" films, I rated that one the best, as good as any of the originals...for a time, until my opinion balanced out and I had a more well-rounded take. For that reason, I steer away from that mindset, and did for "Dark Knight".

Though my opinion is solidifying already after having seen a Warner Bros. screening last night, "Dark Knight" ably stands on its own with or without "Batman Begins". At a two and a half hour runtime, it's definitely an epic of a movie, but one that never runs out of gas. A delightful addition to this experience was a healthy amount of IMAX footage, which significantly adds to the feel of being on a personal, and gruesome, tour of Gotham City.

Christian Bale plays such a well rounded Batman and Bruce Wayne, qualities that none of those who have donned the cowl before him have pulled off. I still have to remember that Bale is British since he speaks with such a spot on American accent. Bale has a particular slurring lisp that serves him quite well, charmingly for Bruce Wayne and threateningly for Batman.

Countering him is the late Heath Ledger, who plays such a scary and creepy Joker that I found it impossible to NOT have chills half the time I saw him on screen. What really separates this brand of Joker from Jack Nicholson's portrayal is true unpredictability. It's obvious that, to be a good guy and think like the Joker, it really takes a toll, and it sure isn't easy. How exactly does one take him down when he's woven his harebrained plot around multiple hostages, explosives, or disappearing parlor tricks?

Initially, I was uneasy about how the character of Harvey Dent would be handled. In my mind, there was really only one faithful portrayal of him, and that could be found in the "Batman" animated series of the early 90s. As well as Tommy Lee Jones COULD have handled him in "Batman Forever", he certainly did not, though it still was a highlight of that movie. Aaron Eckhart ably assumes the mantle here, delivering a performance out of this world, easily on par with the Batman animated series.

Be it known, this caped avenger stands for the good of Gotham City that the police force and its counterparts can't represent, the good that has no jurisdiction, no procedures...and no rules, save for one. I can only hope that we've seen just the prelude to the Dark Knight's upcoming legendary battles with the worst of Gotham City's dark underside.

"The Dark Knight" gets a solid 10 of 10 stars.
1,390 out of 2,012 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
JoeyPiersonIII12 February 2021
My go to movie on a Friday night! Excellent all around!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heath Ledger is a ledgend!
rustyalex216 July 2008
Well here it is, one of the most anticipated movies of the year so far. How was it? It was excellent. By far the best Batman film ever made and of course it will be one of the most memorable action films for a long while.

Everyone was waiting to see how well Heath Ledger performed as The Joker in this film. He definitely deserves an Oscar in his honor. The character was so dark and creepy that it sent chills up my back. Compared to Heath's other films like '10 Things I Hate About You' and even 'Brokeback Mountain' proves that this man could actually act, doesn't matter what character, he could do it.

The film's storyline has many twists and all are rewarding, the story is developed constantly after each scene, making you wonder what's next. Excellent craft and flows well towards the conclusion.

During the film on the scene with Batman against the Joker, Bike vs Truck. People thought this was the ending. No, it kept going which was awesome, the story kept getting darker and darker, I guess that's why they called it the 'Dark' Knight as well as the relation to Batman himself.

The cast was great. With Christopher Nolan playing Batman, good performance, Heath Ledger played extremely well, Maggie was annoying at times, but still deserves to be praised. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman had minor roles which satisfied the audiences. Aaron Eckhart starts with a minor role which slowly progresses and becomes evil which is quite surprising and entertaining to watch.

Great directing made the movie enjoyable, they added more action this time which made the film feel powerful, lighting was done well especially showing Harvey/ Two Face's face in the many moods he displayed.

Great explosions made it entertaining. Made you feel great that this is finally the best action to come in a long time.

This movie deserves a 10/10 rating and credit on behalf of the great young actor Heath Ledger's life. (May he R.I.P) His performance made what this film is right now.

I recommend this film for any action fan, especially a Batman fan. Or if your even a Heath Ledger fan. Go ahead right now and see this film. It's great!
230 out of 329 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie Of All Time For Me.
himanshusinghsisodiya21 February 2021
This is the Greatest Work of Cinema. A Masterpiece in All Sense. Christopher Nolan Nailed In The Feild of Direction. Heath Ledger'Joker is A Never Seen Experience. It's just Perfect. K
Masterpiece
jchambers-2844417 February 2021
Acting, script, music, action, and cinematography is all perfect. This is the greatest movie since The Godfather.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This town deserves a better class of criminal!
dseferaj17 February 2021
This movie is a work of art. The finest sequel ever made. I don't think we will see another movie like this for a long time. Heath Ledger's Joker is the best movie charachter I have ever seen by far. Avengers Endgame is great, but The Dark Knight is much better. The best Batman ever! The best Joker ever! The best DC movie ever! The best superhero movie ever!