Drive Thru (2007) Poster

(2007)

Funny ^__^ I liked it
rajanime1814 March 2007
This is my first review on IMDb, okay here goes: So this movie is about a seemingly supernatural killer clown, the mascot of the extremely popular local burger joint (Hella Burger) he murders teenagers all of whom have some sort of connection with the main character Mackenzie. He gives her clues as to who will die next. She starts to piece together the puzzle and must stop him before he claims her life next.

Basically it's a comedy/horror, the film doesn't take itself very seriously and is full of random humour. You'll laugh out loud at most of the scenes. It's still a horror movie and contains plenty of innovative and gory kills. Overall, I recommend it to horror fans or anyone who has 1 hour 23 min's to spare for a few laughs, it's the kind of film you simply switch your brain off and enjoy :)
34 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Horny the clown? Eh, works for me.
kirk-24630 September 2009
'Drive Thru' is a very deranged comedy that seems like it was directed by some pothead like Danny Leiner.Surprisingly, it's not a bad movie.It has it's share of blood, gore, violence, and what horror movie like this one wouldn't have any humor?It's like 'Eight Legged Frieks' and 'Tremors', except the killer is not a giant spider or an underground worm.I watched this movie for free on Fearnet On Demand a year ago just to see if it was any good.For 83 minutes, I sat through which appeared to be a dumb horror movie, yet a somewhat smart comedy.If you enjoy movies about killer clowns who butcher people, then 'Drive Thru' is on the menu.Would you like some blood with your order?
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I could tell straight off...
Ulfman500023 December 2007
This was about to be one of the most awesomely sh1tty movies ever made. Your generic, run of the mill, horror movie plot - dumb partying teens, the evil clown, and that one dude from Heroes that I hate. But the acting was really pretty acceptable and the script wasn't nearly as bad as you'd think. There was some sort of weird, political subtext that was a bit obnoxious, but it didn't seem to hurt things too badly. The beginning was a bit "Malibu's Most Wanted" for my taste, (ie really dumb wigger jokes) but that passed. All in all, it has some awesomely cheesy moments, and I'd say this is a must see for all fans of really bad horror movies.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Fast Food Kills
Claudio Carvalho23 June 2013
In Blanca Carne, California, the seventeen year-old student Mackenzie Carpenter (Leighton Meester) is celebrating her graduation in high- school with her boyfriend Fisher Kent (Nicholas D'Agosto) and her classmates. Mackenzie receives messages about her close friends while they are murdered by Horny The Clown, the symbol of the Hella-Burger fasts food.

On the eve of her eighteenth birthday and after the death of a couple of friends, Mackenzie realizes that all of them are connected to a dark event in the past of her mother Marcia Carpenter (Melora Hardin). Further, she will be in danger on the day of her birthday.

"Drive-Thru" is a gore unfunny comedy too silly for a horror movie using a clown that is a parody of Ronald McDonald. This B-movie has a couple of good jokes, like "fast food kills", but does not work well. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Drive-Thru: Fast Food da Morte" ("Drive-Thru: Fast Food of the Death")
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Good If Not Taken Too Seriously
dvd1232 June 2007
Considering some of the reviews here and elsewhere and the lack of any big names, I was more than a little skeptical going into this film. My suspicions turned out to be unfounded, though, as the film was actually surprisingly good.

It's been a long time since I've heard a movie soundtrack where the bulk of the songs were not only performed by people born in the last 20 years, but they were performed well. A good soundtrack is hard to find and adds SO much to a movie. You can have a pretty mediocre film and add a great soundtrack and it ends up being quite watchable.

Some of the acting is a little wooden and the plot is almost laughably cliché. One could argue, though, that a laughably cliché plot was their goal, that they were somehow trying to recreate the far-fetched plot horror flicks of years past. If so, they did it masterfully.

I was expecting a very low budget, but it really didn't look that way. I'm always impressed when low budget movies don't look low budget. The editing was creative, especially the ramping of the kill scenes/killer's movements for increased dramatic effect.

Overall, this movie portrayed something that seems to be in short supply on celluloid these days- youthful exuberance. If you are a teenager, or, if, for 83 minutes you can channel the spirit of a teenager, you're in for a fun ride.

With a little more money and some better writing, I think these directors will be able to do really great things. I'm looking forward to their next project.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An entertaining and satirical addition to the slasher genre.
misbegotten3 April 2007
As a fan of slasher movies, I have to say that the direction in Drive Thru isn't too impressive, often being of the 'point and shoot' variety. In addition, most of the kills take place off-screen, and at first glance the story is also highly unimaginative - a teenage girl called Mackenzie Carpenter ('Mac' to her friends) discovers that pupils at her high school are being killed by a maniac who's dressed as Horny the Clown, the mascot of the Hellaburger fast-food restaurant chain (he looks like the secret love child of Ronald McDonald and Satan).

So far, so clichéd. But Drive-Thru's script then proceeds to overturn most of the conventional rules of the slasher movie genre.

For example, traditionally the heroine in these films is always a quiet, likable, well behaved and respectable young girl who is often bullied or victimised by the popular in-crowd. Not so in Drive-Thru. Here, the Final Girl is a foul mouthed, drug-taking teen who thinks her parents are morons, and - together with her emo friends - behaves appallingly to anyone she doesn't like. There's even a clever subplot in which we learn that she's decided not to sleep with her older boyfriend until she reaches the age of consent - but just as it seems that the movie is finally reverting to convention, she changes her mind and has underage sex with him anyway (!).

Another slasher cliché is the creepy janitor, who often acts as either a prime suspect or red herring, but again Drive-Thru acts as though it's playing the game, only to suddenly perform a bodyswerve and wrong-foot us. So yes, the creepy janitor is dutifully introduced, but he promptly gets killed in the very next scene.

The movie also skilfully satirizes current American youth culture: in addition to Mac's emo friends, Horny also takes his machete to handgun-flaunting wiggas, right-wing WASP preppies, goth wiccans, and stoner drop-outs. There's also a surprisingly political edge that's rare in the genre: Mac is described as a vegetarian left-wing liberal, and the dialogue contains quite a few barbs aimed at the Bush administration and Republicans in general. Mac also regards the police as incompetent fascists, and doesn't tell them anything she's discovered about the murders because she believes she's got a better chance of uncovering who the killer is. In fact, the female detective in charge of the case is actually highly efficient, but her investigation is being hampered by Mac's refusal to share information.

The cast all deliver solid performances, with Leighton Meester (who plays Mac) being a particular find. There's also a funny cameo from Supersize Me writer/director Morgan Spurlock as a Hellaburger manager.

But despite being a highly entertaining movie, Drive-Thru isn't particularly scary. Horny is a colourful and visually striking psycho-villain, but the climax of the movie is quite weak, and the only scene that delivers a genuine frisson is when the killer clown empties a gasoline can over Mac as she's tied to a chair (as a prelude to immolating her), and she starts screaming in complete, helpless terror.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Hella Burger is Hella Good!
lastliberal5 January 2008
Initially, I did not have a good feeling about this film. Two white boys talking like they were ganstas turns me off.

However, it really turned out to be a good movie.

First, the lines throughout the film were really funny. They referenced a lot of things that were familiar and were delivered spot on by some really good acting featuring Leighton Meester, Nicholas D'Agosto, Lola Glaudini from "Criminal Minds", Melora Hardin, Trudy from "Monk, and my personal favorite, Larry Joe Campbell from "According to Jim", as Detective Crackers.

Secondly, it had a really good story that made a lot of sense.

It wasn't particularly gory, but had plenty of blood. The only thing it was missing was a horror staple - breasts.

If you like horror, you really need to check this one out.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
tropicalwindxst10 February 2008
Drive Thru was one of those movies I was expecting to turn off in the first five minutes. I was previewing movies on Ondemand's Fearnet, and something about there being a Horny the Clown grabbed my attention. The acting is at college level. The effects are at college level. The cinematography is at college level. However, the film kept my attention the whole way through. It was fast paced, cheesy, and full of enough humor to keep me thoroughly entertained.

One of the best things about this movie is the seamlessly endless amount of minor characters that serve no purpose but to be deep fried and macheted by Horny the Clown. These actors know they are in a stupid horror movie, and do their best to provide over the top performances until their ultimate demise. The main characters are pretty average. The "virgin" chick is a feisty liberal stoner who provides a unique twist for a horror movie heroine. The boyfriend is oddly intriguing, although a bit dull. Detective Crackers is annoying as hell, but that's how his character is supposed to be. I could do without the stone cold detective, she seems a little far fetched and unnecessary. The mom, who looks only a few years older than the daughter, is by the far the worst actress. She really drags the movie down in her scenes, but once again, this movie isn't about quality acting. The real character, Horny the Clown, is fantastic. He is funny, fast, and deadly. I enjoyed every moment he was on screen. His antics remind me of Freddy Krueger, but in an updated OC kinda way.

The deaths are pretty awesome, too. For having real shoddy effects, the deaths are varied and funny. My personal favorite is the microwave. It looked like something out of Saw.

This isn't the next Scream, but it's a fun flick for a Friday night with a couple of friends and a lot of beer.

Characters - 20/30 Story - 13/30 Atmosphere- 3/15 Effectiveness - 13/15 Excitement - 7/10

Total - 56/100
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Would you like fries with that Slasher-crap?
Coventry16 March 2008
From start to finish, this is utterly irritating and infantile slasher-fodder of the type that makes you want to poke out your own eyeballs with a rusty spoon. This is the type of junk you've seen six dozen of times before already, and every single one of them was better and less insulting to your intellect. The plot is derivative of approximately fifteen other early 80's slasher films, the soundtrack is nefarious (for the last time: heavy-metal and suspense rarely mix!), the characters are insupportable stereotypes and the maniacal killer (yet another evil clown) is the complete opposite of menacing, with his lame one-liners and overly flamboyant outfit. The film opens with a couple of white trash guys who desperately wish to be black thugs and their arrogant behavior and incomprehensible slang pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the film. Seriously, are American teenagers really this stupid nowadays? Luckily they quickly get massacred by Horny the Clown, the Ronald McDonald of fast food restaurant "Hella Burger" located in Orange County. The serial killer-clown continues his murder spree in the local high school, but his teenage victims – and particularly their parents – appear to have something in common, namely a dark secret about a prank that horribly ran out of control and killed a nerdy kid on his 18th birthday party. The concept is as old as the slasher-film itself, yet the writers pretentiously act as if they re-invent the genre and particularly the comical aspects miserably fail their effect. There's zero suspense, or what else did you expect, and the screenplay stupidly enough often hints at supernatural powers even though there's no logical explanation for this. The film tries to be intelligent, and distract you from all the plot-holes and improbabilities, through its main character Mackenzie Carpenter. She's a rebellious, opinionated and politically engaged teenager and, granted, Leighton Meester's presence and cute on screen charisma is unquestionably the movie's main strongpoint. Yet, she also still makes a couple of stupid decisions and all of her friends, including her horny boyfriend, are more than dim-witted enough to compensate for her cleverness. The gore is pretty decent, I have to admit, but overall "Drive Thru" is a totally insignificant movie.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Hamburglar Has Nothing On Horny the Clown
yodaccm1 March 2009
I'm rather confused by this movie's premise and I think the director was also. How does one go about making a slasher movie where the killer is dressed up in a fast food clown mascot costume? Given that premise, you would think such a movie would make light of it's plot and not take itself too seriously.

With "Drive Thru" it begins with a light, albeit horror inspired, tone with a group of idiot wannabe gangsters getting hacked up by a killer whose name screams satire: Horny the Clown. OK, fine enough. Considering the title of the picture and the nature of slasher you figure this will be a hoot.

But as the movie progresses, you realize that there is a real plot here with serious undertones. The plot is familiar enough and we have some doltish characters populating the ridiculously named city of "Blanca Carne", Spanish for "white meat", get it? But the main characters take this movie rather seriously, searching for clues to the identity of the killer and unraveling a decades old mystery.

That's all fine, but how are we to perceive this movie? For one, this movie is not scary at all. The director doesn't even go for any real scares, he shows his hand way too often. There is no suspense as you can figure out who the killer is about halfway through the movie. The comedy is rather sparse and is relegated to a ridiculous fat cop named Crockers (or Crackers as people tend to call him) and some lame renditions of pot heads and the afore mentioned wannabe gangsters.

Horny the Clown is like a cross between Jason, Freddy Krueger, and the clown from It. However, as a menacing killer, he hardly fits the bill. He spouts off stupid one liners and dispatches his prey with a huge meat clever. Most of the action occurs outside of the fast food restaurants so the connection with the whole fast food killer is loose at best. Although you may be able to figure out the killer early on, after all is revealed and your guess is validated there are many questions still unanswered about the killer and his, lets say, existence. It's an old horror movie cliché and it is used quite unabashedly here.

Anyway, despite my criticism it was an o.k. viewing. I commend the film makers for attempting something a little different, but in the end it doesn't really mesh well. Maybe in the sequel, which wouldn't surprise me if there is one in the making, Horny the Clown and Ronald McDonald can duke it out ala Aliens vs. Predator. That would probably make a better movie than "Drive Thru".
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
If you pride yourself on being a horror geek, you'll feel pretty smart...
twostpr4110 March 2009
all by yourself...on your couch with your dog...at 11:00 am...on a Monday. But that's just me.

I'm not gonna summarize this flik because you can look it up at you're convinience at certain movie data-bases. Do it, then read me.

This is great for those of us who love to be scared s**tless by clowns, but love to see suburban home-boys take it up the you-know-what. O.k. so I wasn't THAT scared, but very amused to be sure.

So this movie LOVES paying homage to a plethora of 80's horror movies; "Happy Birthday To Me," "The Shinning," and "Nightmare on Elmstreet" just to name a few. The gore factor is good and sub-par; just how I like it, though the dialogue seems a little too on the nose, you know? Just a little TOO thought out and clever for it to come out of the mouths of these kids. It just sounds VERY scripted. Not very natural.

Morgan Spurlock (of "Fast Food Nation" fame) is the tiny wink of super cool in this teenage slaughter-fest, and "Jan" from "The Office" probably has more acting chops than anyone.

All in all, the story is more or less slightly above standard for a 2000-oughts movie, the B&G is pretty good, and Ouija boards aside, was pretty resourceful, if not just stealing stuff (see above) I'm a generous girl (surprise!) who loves cheap gore, so if you can watch this one for free (like I did) do it to it!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
So stupid, it's funny
Dude8821 March 2007
I saw this film yesterday, and was not impressed. The acting was pretty bad, the gore effects were not great, the story was lacking and the music was terrible, especially during the action sequences.

But, I kinda enjoyed myself watching it. There were a few jokes, and most of them were not funny. Most of the fun was because of the lacking script. At some points it was just so stupid, it was funny. I also found the killer clown's remarks entertaining, even though none of them really had much to do with the story. And the concept of a killer clown, though a bit cliché, is still pretty funny.

This film is pretty bad, but it's entertaining if you can ignore the flaws, just sit back and laugh at the unfortunate teens.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Horny is KILLER!
Crash24729 March 2007
Horny The Clown is the mascot for a burger chain and he's starting to get a taste for raw meat. Meanwhile Mackenzie Carpenter is a teenager who thinks her biggest problem is dying of boredom in the urban wasteland of Orange County. That is until her classmates start dying of blood loss and Horny the Clown begins stalking her with cryptic messages left in 70's kitsch toys! As you can tell this isn't your straight forward slasher flick. Filled with irony and general sadistic humor, Drive Thru does for fast food what The Gingerdead Man did for pastries! I guess the moral of the movie is that fast food can kill you (yeah I know how bad that joke was, sorry) It's a little rough around the edges, but what it does well, it does REALLY WELL. I think we'll be seeing more of Horny the Clown. At least let's hope so.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Decent enough slasher but nothing special.
Paul Andrews18 April 2007
Drive-Thru is set in the small American town of Blanco Carne where local resident Jack Benjamin (John Gilbert) has built up a chain of fast food restaurants named 'Hella-Burger', however the story is tinged with tragedy as his son who played Horny the Clown in all the TV commercials & promotions was killed in a terrible accident some years ago on his 18th birthday. However it seems like Horny has come back from the dead to avenge his untimely death at the hands of a prank gone bad by killing the teenage children of those responsible, or maybe it's some nut-case just dressed up as Horny the Clown? Watch it to find out...

Written & directed by Brendan Cowles & Shane Kuhn this is actually pretty poor fare saved by a good killer & the fact it doesn't last long. The script is basically a rip-off of A Nightmare on Elm Street (1983) as a group of parents past indiscretion's come back to haunt them & take revenge on their children so in that respect it's not original & is pretty predictable, then there's Horny the Clown killer who is indeed a pretty cool killer but the whole twisted killer clown thing was done with far more imagination & wit in Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) & I'd like to see anyone try & argue with that. The teenage character's are poor & not very likable which doesn't help, the so called funny one-liners are actually pretty lame & the jokes aren't particularly funny either. Then there's the story which tries to keep the killer identity secret until the end, well all I can say is you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work it out. There's no background given to why this guy has risen from the grave & if he is some sort of demonic killer he seems very human at times in what he does. To it's credit it's moves along at a fair pace & didn't bore me that much.

Director's Cowles & Kuhn do a great job here & this looks really nice & it seems like there was actually some money behind it. Unfortunately while the film looks very professional it's not scary, it has zero atmosphere & the bad one-liners fall flat. So basically you have this incredibly good looking film but it has absolutely no substance to it whatsoever. There is also a distinct lack of gore, sure there's blood & a few 'plastic meat clever stuck on someones forehead' type effects, a stupid scene where someone has their face burnt by having a microwave with a hole in the bottom placed over their head & held in place on them with steel chains & a CGI sequence where someone is cut in half but there's nothing memorable or particularly convincing here.

Technically Drive-Thru looks really good with great production values & it's certainly well made. Having said that I hated the rock music that is used every time Horny the Clown is on screen, it simply kills any tension & ended up giving me a headache. The acting is alright.

Drive-Thru seems to have had a lot of positive comments on the IMDb, I'm not really sure why as this is a pretty routine, predictable, virtually bloodless to get an 'R' rating, filled with comedy that isn't funny slasher film that has a decent killer but very little else. Prehaps we have been starved of good low budget horror for a number of years that we almost want to like this, anyway this is average at best & predictable rubbish at worst. Watch it if your desperate.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
First Mikey then Freddy & Chucky,and now Archie!
reeves200227 August 2007
I don't always like comedy and horror mixed but this one did make me laugh hard and I liked the story.It had some really good kills and some hysterical original humour.The whole revenge storyline is old but a good and effective one.It reminded me a lot of Nightmare on Elm street how a bunch of parents killed a guy and he comes back from the dead to exact revenge on the kids of the parents.Of course Nightmare on Elm street was more of a horror.I hated the first scene of drive-thru.I cannot stand it when white kids act and talk like they're black,especially the well educated ones.Watching the way they were acting and talking made me cringe. I anticipated all those whiggers dying brutally, and they did! It's sad how brainwashed a lot of youth are these days.It's time for a rock revival and to say goodbye to rap! I liked the soundtrack for this movie.The theme song sung by Leighton Meester was cool and I liked the other version playing during the end credits.If there was a soundtrack sold in stores I would buy it. This movie would have made a good theatrical summer movie. We need a new demonic serial killer to hit the big screen. Jason,Freddy,and the others have all been over used. Not that I want their evil legacy's to end(especially Chucky my favorite),but it's time for a new one and Archie had potential.With a bigger budget and more advertising it could have easily made it's theatrical debut.A bigger budget sequel would be nice.If there is plans to do one I would like to see the survivors all brought back to face the demonic horny clown again!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Was this movie suppose to be awful on purpose?
Homer Bob14 January 2008
Hands down one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Now, why did I even watch it? Because the description of the movie sounded so awful, I thought I would watch it for a laugh. I found the movie on comcast free movies on demand. I should have known what I was getting myself into. I never even heard of the movie before, even though it came out this past year. Anyways, the movie was more than laughably bad, it was painful to watch. For one thing, the story line sounds like it was written by a 10 year old. The storyline is so awful and predictable. You'll probably predict the whole thing before the movie is even half over. The acting is even worse. Some of the worst acting I have ever seen. You will hate the characters guts; luckily most of them get killed. I just wish it were all of them but most is almost good enough. The characters are basically a bunch of obnoxious, trashy teenagers with sewer mouths. Seeing them die is the best part about the film. Really, the movie's plot overall is about some murderous clown killing certain people when they show up at his restaurant. His name will make you laugh, it's Horny the clown. Oh and you have to hear the reason why the clown was killing a certain select of teenagers...

Apparently the murderous clown once lived a normal life. He was a social outcast who was bullied and it was by all the murder victims parents, yeah that's right. The clown wanted to kill all of the children of the parents who made fun of him when they went to high school together. So, the clown at one time was some poor, sadistic, pathetic loser. Oh, poor boy. I almost felt sorry for him... Not! It gets better. The mother of the main character was the one the clown had a crush on. So he wants to kill her daughter on her 18th birthday and here's another reason. The poor kid was killed by a fire by the main character's friends; yes the parents of the murder victims killed him on his 18th birthday. Or was he killed? I think you can figure it out. The plot to this movie makes Lifetime movie plots look like academy award winners. I mean, I find it funny that they actually tried to add a plot to a horribly directed movie such as this one. The movie wouldn't have been any worse without a storyline. In fact it might have been better.

Overall the movie is about as bad as it gets. It's even suppose to be a horror movie which is about as scary as Dora the Explorer. The movie will have a lot of blood which of course looks so fake. Really, this movie looks like one that was made by a local high school. Really, it wouldn't make any difference in the quality. My main warning overall is avoid this movie like the plague. It's beyond "so bad, it's funny". It's under the category "so bad, it's painful."
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
To Go Please.
John Crane24 January 2008
Well, the only reason why I ever saw this movie was because it caught my interest by the name of the clown: Horny the Clown. It had an interesting plot and the face on the DVD cover reminded me of S.I.C.K., and because of the experience I had with that movie, I was about to stay away from this film. Well I didn't. However, sadly enough, this movie was better than S.I.C.K. for all the wrong reasons. It essentially tells of the tale of a madman who is brutally killing young teenagers while dressed as Horny the Clown. The catch is: this madman may not be human and his revenge spreads farther than just the teens that he is stalking. First off, the acting was really bad in this movie, the scares were not there and they were childish, it was really funny and the plot was so predictable. The main thing that bugged me was that it had nothing to do with a drive-thru.

Let's get started. The acting. There was some good acting but other than that, the acting was really bad. Even at some of the most horrible scenes, where the dialogue had an exception of being bad, the dialogue and the acting was just plain bad. Not only where some of the performances pretty bad, the dialogue seemed so scripted and unnatural. Even movies of this caliber, despite there bad plot and really cheesy scares, usually have some pretty descent acting, however, this movie was horrible. They just seemed to not care about emotions or driving forces and were there just to be there. It was very wooden.

What about the scares? First off, there was no real scares, and the when there were "hauntings," they were horrible. It's not scary when somebody gets there head microwaved, or deep fried, it's really quite funny and stupid. Killing somebody in a child's play pen isn't scary, it's just plain stupid. I will give credit to the costume designer for attempting a reasonable outfit for the killer clown, because it was kind of cool and had its weird looking gadgets (i.e. the "flame" butcher knife). Some of the scares were so cliché and very predictable, like you know who was going to die and the "jump out factor" was next to nothing when it came to surprises. There was some blood and gore, but it was wasn't anything to be grossed out about. Because it was accompanied by bad scares and really awful clichés, the gore had absolutely no real effect on me and just looked like red jam slathered on the walls or floor.

As for the plot, well, like I said, it really did not have anything to do with an actual drive-thru and should have better off named "Restaurant" or "Horny the Clown." The plot could have been way better and should have just stayed a psychopathic killer hunting down beautiful girls with a predictable or semi-predictable twist, rather than something stupid and supernatural. The plot has some holes in it and evolves random visitations and a completely irrelevant Ouija board that says something that could have been told in a scarier manner. Plus, I never thought that I would see another movie where it was so predictable down to the point where I knew who was going to die, based on the music and the quiet and eerie silence. It was just an altogether thing liquidly plot.

Overall, this was hardly a horror movie, however, if it was labeled comedy, then I would have a completely different review. There were a lot of funny parts and most of them were very unintentional. This movie just has really bad acting, no real scares and a stale plot with predictable endings to add to it. To me, it was a half-baked idea that could have had a good chance of being something else, but they peppered it with clichés and, what looks like, a last minute casting call. I would recommend this movie to anybody who does enjoy B-movies, as well as college height movies, however, for those who enjoy a thicker palette, then you may want to avoid this movie. Though, you may want to rent if it you are looking for a good cheese filled laugh. I, on the other hand, did not enjoy it and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
more cheese than meat (and the cheese is rancid & moldy)
movieman_kev6 June 2007
I rented this one based on largely marginally positive reviews i've read, expecting a fun little gory horror flick, what I got however was a pretty uninspired "Nightmare on Elm Street" retread, but with a clown fast food mascot. The jokes fall extremely flat and the horror just isn't there. Plus it has a non-ending ending of the kind that I've really grown to detest throughout the years, leaving it open for a sequel which i'm not hoping for in the least bit. Perhaps it would have helped the film if any of the characters were fleshed out in the least bit, but the way it is now the movie had me thinking about how much creepier it might have been if it was about a deranged Burger King mascot (YOU watch those commercials and play Sneak King and NOT be terrified). Oh yeah before I forget the film also can 'boast' (and I use the term loosely) a forgettable cameo by Mr. Super-Size Me Morgan Spurlock, in a role so atrociously acted that one of the people from the group of individuals that he made fun of during a college lecture can act circles act circles around (no I'm not going to use the term he did, you have the internet, look it up)

My Grade: D
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A Fun slasher movie ( I loved that clown very creepy)
atinder21 September 2010
I have been putting off seeing this movie as it sound a bit poor but I am clad that I decided too check IT out as I do enjoy slasher movies like this.

Plot:Horror gets Super Sized when Horny The Clown, the demonic mascot of "Hella-Burger," starts slashing Orange County teenagers with his meat cleaver from Hell.

I really enjoyed watching this movie very much, I really like the killer Clown mask that was really creepy and bit scary However the killer voice did sound a lot like Ghost-face from scream series.

I also liked some of the gory death scenes in this movie and they did make some of the deaths scenes really funny at same time and acting is okay for a movie like this.

This movie is a lot of fun to watch with friends if you are staying in on a Saturday night.

I going to give this movie 6 out of 10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
back to the 80s scary movie style
chipura12 March 2009
yeah, well we begin. I will start with the introduction for asking if any of you ever watched a b horror movie from the eighties, yes you will adore this one because the movie gives all the clichés and serious acting applies for another star for the movie, except "Larry Joe Campbell" from "According to Jim". He is really enjoying for filming a b type thriller movie(I love him). Our another star is for "Lola Glaudini" from "Groove". I am so glad to see her again. She is so into the movie.(I know they are having so much fun) Gossip Girl star, Leighton Meester, she is really shocking for me such as being in this kind of a movie and I think she is a secret gem like Ed Westwick(it was an compliment). I am a fan of the b movies, especially 80s. I say if you know the bad movie history of eighties and if you have a couple of friends in same taste, you can have so much fun. this is one of the good ones in its following the 'let's appreciate and respect the genre of thrillers in 80s. My top is, yeah, comedy and horror, I say Evil Dead, which is more fun and Braindead which is more drama. I'm giving you ten because I'll be watching you. Warning! Not Stable.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Your balls are showin
Max_Doobermin22 December 2007
Okay. This movie sucks. I knew is sucked going in. Someone online said it was a pretty good throwback to the 80s slashers. It's not. It's supposed to be. but it's not.

I was at my friend's house and he showed me the opening scene on Comcast OnDemand because he said he watched it and it sucked really bad. So we watched it and it did.

So I had a friend over tonight and i did the same. but then we watched the whole movie. we fastforwarded through some boring parts but we watched plenty of it.

the acting is subpar. the writing is awful. the story is clichéd and predictable. the production value was pretty decent. everything looked good, besides a couple of the kills.

i didn't like Horny the Clown's costume. it was nothing special. he looked like a reject of the kiss army. the movie as a whole was pretty awful. i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. not even for the sake of watching a crappy movie.

BUT there was one funny line that ALMOST made the whole thing worth while. it doesn't come across as well just typing it, but the delivery was priceless. i watched it about 10 times. Crockers says to the kid in the hospital, while stuffing his face with a burger "your balls are showing." man...it was hilarious. it may sound childish, but it was classic. and that line is the only good thing i have to say about this movie, really.

half a star. and that's just for the "your balls are showing line." fine...maybe 1 star.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
What the hell!
mario_c20 August 2007
What a ridiculous film! This movie is so bad I can't believe I was daring enough to see it until the end! But it was hard! Do you know when you start watching a movie and in the first 4/5 minutes you start asking yourself: "why doesn't it end right now?" Yes that's right, this film "stunk" from the very first minute…

The psycho character is ridiculous! I mean, what stupid clown suit is that?

The plot is pathetic! One of the silliest I've seen the last times!

The acting is bad! I know it's a B-series movie (or is it a Z-series one instead?) but the acting could be much better.

The "special effects" are lame. I know it was a low cost production, but even so!

The all main idea of using a clown and the "fast-food setting" is absurd, ridiculous…If it's supposed to be funny or spoofing it just spoofs itself!

Fast food doesn't kill but this film does….of boredom!
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I am soooo sick of clowns...
dj_stv14 March 2007
I can't even imagine what must have been running through the directors head when he did this movie... without any doubt, this is the worst horror movie I have ever seen in my life! The story is plain: a mad clown from hell (OMG, that's very original!), seeks to kill as many teens as possible in the most brutal and horrific way. I'm sure ur very impressed and extremely anxious to see this great film but hold ur horses :) Drive-Thru is a real test of character because it takes a real man/woman to see this movie till the end, where, like all great movies, it leaves room for a sequel. The action is weak, the acting is weak, the screenplay is even weaker... the story is really overused and beside the cool clown costume, it doesn't have anything worth watching. All the lines are unnatural and the young actors take it even more below the average.

In conclusion, do urselves a huge favor and don't waste precious time on Drive-Thru...
9 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Keep on driving thru
thesar-210 January 2009
I'd like 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' patty, an order of 'Final Destination' Fries, a supersized 'Killer Klown' Kola and if you could throw in a 'Happy Birthday to Me' Meal with the 'Funhouse' toy, that would be swell. I wish I was kidding when that opening sounded exactly like what the writer was ordering while driving through a fast food joint one day and came up with the (ha) original idea for 'Drive Thru.' Incoherent scenes – the lead's birthday was to be the next day, but ended up two days later, horrible acting and so-called fast-food jokes, a laugh-out-loud 80's dressed clown and awful music played while the Freddy Krueger copycat attacked. Yes, I'm taking it way too seriously – it just seems to be a harmless remake of 'Nightmare' and 'Destination,' but it really could've been so much more. I'm probably just bitter for being such a huge fan of the movies it's ripping off (well, for 'Nightmare,' 'Klown' and 'Destination,' not so much 'Funhouse' or 'Birthday') and I wonder if it's any coincidence that as a fan, as well, of NBC's 'The Office' that it stars two people who has costarred on the TV show – Nicholas D'Agosto and Melora Hardin. And as for the title, it's practically nonexistent throughout the film; in fact all of the carnage (meaning both kills as well as the mangled script) in the film is, ah-hem, sandwiched between the only two drive thru scenes.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?