Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time (Video 2007) Poster

Cute!
raevan-210 February 2007
I was excited to see this movie when I first heard about it. I love all the Disney fairy tales and while the sequels usually are awful this one was done perfectly! They give personality to each character that was lacking in the first movie. The prince actually wasn't a smiling idiot, the step-sisters were the evil-step sisters but had more spunk, and the evil step-mother was just as wicked and ambitious for her daughters as the first. Even Cinderella herself showed a courageous side that you didn't get to see before.

It seemed to be a darker story compared to most Disney movies and it turned out well. I enjoyed the ending and understood exactly why they kept it that way.

This is definitely an awesome movie to pick up!
33 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a chance without prejudice. it's actually a great film!
brandonsc9 February 2007
There are many reasons to enjoy "Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time." In many ways it improves upon its predecessors. Unlike the animators from the original film the amazing animators at DisneyToon Australia worked from their own imaginations instead of relying on live-action "reference" film. Furthermore the plot is far superior to the first. Still with me? Great. Here's what makes this plot better than the "classic" fairy tail: 50 years ago Disney's idea was to adapt the fairy tale into a full length film. The story was of a girl who, denied her birthright was forced to work as a maid for her step-family. She dreams of a life of luxury, and because of her kind heart she has friends that do all the work for her, she gets her chance with a prince and after dancing she's in love and gets married. Fairy tales are supposed to teach you something. The original Grimm Tale had a lot more plot to it and actually taught children never to give up. Disney's watered down version still taught that lesson- sort of. But the basic lesson was hold on to your dreams . . . . someone will eventually show up and magically make them come true.

That lesson is turned on its ear in "A Twist In Time." Instead of making everything easy for Cinderella, she is now working against magic and must overcome something a lot more powerful than a mean old lady- a mean old lady with a magic wand. She works hard to achieve her dreams. Oh sure, the mice help, but Cinderella is the clear heroine in this new film- a heroine that little girls can look up to.

Step-mother gets hold of the Fairy Godmother's wand and turns back time to the shoe fitting scene from the first film. One may recall that the step-sisters feet were too big, but also remember that in the Grimm tale the step-sisters cut off their heels and toes to make the slipper fit. Well, this is still a Disney film so magic is used and the slipper now fits Anastasia. Now's when the movie kicks into high. Cinderella is determined to find the prince she met the previous night and she sets off to do just that. Knowing what the girl he danced with looks like, the prince is forced by magic to think that Anastasia is the right girl for him. Although what follows seems a bit hokey when describing it (The magic of the wand is not as powerful as Cinderella and the prince's predestined love) it is handled maturely and time is given for the couple to get to know each other a bit more (in the first film they had said, what, four words) before getting married. Meanwhile Anastasia, who in the beginning wants nothing more than a prince of her own- even if it is Cinderella's prince, must overcome her jealousy of Cinderella lest she take what is not rightfully hers.

This film is not only a worthy sequel to the original film (unlike Part II), it surpasses it. Not just with a much more valuable lesson: Cinderella must not "live in dreams if (her) dreams are to come true" but vocal performances and the animation are consistently better. While the prince's design has been puffed out a little, I always felt the original design was far too stiff. Cinderella also has a pretty stiff design, but under senior animator Ian Harrowell's supervision she is allowed to be expressive and give a performance that can match with Jennifer Hale's vocals.

The songs are a bit more contemporary than the classic film, but that's to be expected. We're not in the 1950's anymore, kids. Personally, I can't get enough of "More Than a Dream," Cinderella's balled that sucked me into the story and told me that we'd be dealing with a much more pro-active Cinderella than ever before (somehow I cant' imagine the Cinderella from the first film singing "There's a better life that's waiting past the mountains I must climb. I will take a chance on love to get my once upon a time" . . . she was much more concerned with what a nightingale sounded like), and frankly that suits me just fine. I feel that this way to go is a lot better character for Cinderella to be. In a time when every other blonde that girls are looking up to are drug-addicts or bulimic it's refreshing to see a twist on a classic character that makes her someone to be admired.

As I've said the animation in this film, which seems to be getting the most flack from critics is astounding. What probably no one short of myself will ever realize is the historic significance to this film. It is the last film to be hand-animated by Disney Animators. Quietly Disney has for years been shutting down the traditional animation studios in Paris, Tokyo, Montreal, Orlando and in the case of the original in Burbank- converting it to a CGI studio. Australia's DisneyToon Studio was the last of it's kind. With this film (and thanks to that overrated story thief John Lassiter) the chapter is closed on Disney's traditional animation Perhaps most fitting this film (unlike the aforementioned studio's final films) bears a dedication to its animators. It reads "Special Thanks to DisneyToon Studios Australia for their many years of producing beautiful hand-drawn animation." I mourn the loss of an art form that Disney worked so hard to gain respect for, the brilliant animators who are now out of a job, and for the fact that their efforts will no doubt be overlooked as "mediocre" by critics and audiences that simply don't understand the effort that went into this film. There are many reasons to enjoy this film, but I fear that prejudice and ignorant people will find their voices of protest and cries of blasphemy for making a sequel to a "classic" the loudest.
61 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Not Bad
storyteller9356 February 2007
I'm a complete romance fluff person and this movie satisfied my taste. You really feel how much Cinderella and Charming love each other, and its so sweet to see that, even if it is only a cartoon. The characters are rather out of character for my taste, but thats only if you're traditional. The plot was decent and the animation, while nothing can compare to the original, is decent and colorful as well.I'm sad to say that the second movie actually had better music than this one. Music is something i really expect from a movie and sadly while slightly entertaining, it did not deliver. The stepmother definitely shows her evil side a little more in this one, a perfect villain. Not to mention you have two sets of comedy reliefs, the stepsisters and jaq and Gus, a great pair. But if your as much of a kid as i am then you will definitely get a kick out of this movie.Buy and watch over and over, trust me you won't be the only one.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The one sequel that comes close to being as good as the first film.
Daleylife4 February 2007
Cinderella III is the story of our beloved Disney Princess celebrating her one year anniversary married to the prince. The Fairy Godmother is there as well, and carelessly flings her wand in the bushes while singing. The wand lands in the hands of Anastasia, one of Cinderella's stepsisters. And soon, the wicked stepmother takes matters into her own hands by reversing time to when the duke arrived to try the slipper on the feet of the stepsisters. BUT, this time- the wand is used to make it fit Anastaia's foot. From there, a suspenseful series of events follow Cinderella as she tries to set things right.

This film is amazing. It is the best Disney sequel I've seen to date. The animation isn't the quality of a theatrical release, but it much better than most direct-to-video films are.

The story is very suspenseful and creative. It is slightly predictable, but aside from that, it keeps your attention and not once will you be bored.

The acting is wonderful. The voices are obviously not that of the original film, but the actors do their best to bring feeling to the characters, and that is what matters. (In my opinion, the actress who voices Anastasia did a wonderful job.) The film contains some new songs. No song is as great as anything you'd find in a golden Disney film, but again- these songs are ones you want to listen to again. Along with the songs, the score to the film is wonderful especially in climactic scenes. And yes- there are "action" scenes in this film, and they are wonderful.

This film wasn't made for money. It was made to please all the fans who were disappointed in "Cinderella 2." And let me tell you, Disney did something right with a sequel for once.
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Cinderella for the new generations...
disneygirl6108511 February 2007
This movie is definitely NOT the Cinderella so many of us grew up with...it's a continuation. It adds more to the story to keep the interest of the newer generations and is a good lesson of how sometimes things can be taken away without a moments notice, and you have to work to get them back. This story builds Cinderella into a determined young woman instead of a poor house maid and gives Anastasia a chance to do what is right. Cinderella III also gives the character of the Prince a chance to develop (even though they still don't give him a name!) All in all, Cinderella III is full of good morals, great new songs, a few subtle jokes for the parents, and of course, a famous Disney Happily Ever After ending.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it!
VanillaSparkle206 February 2007
This is was a Great movie the songs were Little ehh but the story line and the twists were just remarkable... I loved the twist at the almost end made it more dark.I also love the fact that Cinderella Got the princes love more harder then before not just cause of her looks and everything but cause of more she had to fight for love it was more realistic then a girl going to the ball and thats it.They showed more of the prince too we didn't really know him before and he talked a lot more which made it better.The 2nd movie was horrible made no sense and was not interesting to watch and way off story line. This one made more sense lovely I am actually 14 and i love this movie any Disney movie I love but this one was one of the best sequel's they have made from Disney. Anyways yeah you should see this at least once
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time' Reminds Us How Good 'Disney' Can Be!
KyleCV17 February 2007
When it comes to Disney sequels, most people say that they're not happy with them. Either the characters are too different, the animation isn't good, or basically some feel that the originals shouldn't have a continuation. See, I'm one of those Disney fans that seems to enjoy all Disney movies, classic or sequel. However, I believe all the originals are better than the sequels when it comes to Disney classics- EXCEPT for when it comes to Cinderella.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the original- I mean, it IS a classic. And I'm not saying it isn't good. But in my opinion, this sequel is simply better.

'Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time'is a heartwarming tale that teaches many lessons to both young and old. One main message that seems to stand out, is that not even magic can conquer true love. Another good thing about this film, is not only the stunning animation, but the development of certain characters- specifically Prince Charming, Anastasia, and even Cinderella herself. And instead of Cinderella simply getting everything without working for it, like it is in the original, she actually has to WORK for her dreams to come true in this sequel. Everything doesn't just 'fall into place', which is a strong point for the film. Plus, the story in general is original and clever. I mean, turning back time, and making everything go wrong for Cinderella using magic and more? Makes for a lot of fun, for both the young, and the young at heart.

Please, before you judge this movie, and say you refuse to watch it because it's another 'unnneccesary sequel', give it a chance and watch it. I can almost guarantee you will somewhat enjoy this movie, if not all-around love it as I do. This sequel is 100% better than the horror that was "Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True". This film is a story of love, determination, and the good in (almost) everyone. I HIGHLY recommend this movie, and I believe those who enjoy suspense and good fun in a Disney movie, will thoroughly enjoy the film.

'Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time" gets Two Huge Thumbs Up from me.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very impressive, especially for a seemingly unnecessary SECOND Disney sequel...
sure_promise8 February 2007
I usually try to watch all of the Disney sequels I can, and have certainly been disappointed a few times, but this movie is proof to me that, sometimes, they do a great job! My friend and I (who are in college and still watch our favorite Disney movies all the time) just finished watching this movie, and we both loved it. I certainly don't think that all Disney movies NEED sequels, but from time to time they can be quite enjoyable. And even though I really wanted to see it when I found out about it, I certainly didn't expect it to be great (especially not for a SECOND sequel that didn't seem at all necessary), but we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and laughed quite a few times! I have never liked the prince in the original Cinderella; he had pretty much zero character development (understandable), and I actually thought he was a bit too girly, even for a Disney prince, but this movie has completely changed my opinion about him! He was really engaging, and funny, and even quite attractive for an animated character (as many of the other Disney princes are)! And yes, the voices were different, and the animation wasn't exactly the same, but it was still beautifully done (with amazing scenery), and Cinderella looked gorgeous in every scene! It's true that the songs weren't amazing or anything, but the story was really interesting, and I will probably watch it again before I return it, and maybe even buy it. Either way, my (future) children are definitely watching it someday... So if anyone still feels skeptical, I would say to just please at least give it a chance. If you hate it, that's certainly your right, but honestly, I don't see how you could. :-)

Also--This line had my friend and I laughing for about ten minutes. I'm not entirely sure why it's funny; it just sounded very absurdly amusing: "Hold the trumpet!"

If you see it, maybe you'll agree, or, um, think I'm crazy... :-)
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than expected, and a huge improvement over Cinderella 2:Dreams Come True
TheLittleSongbird7 October 2009
The original is a timeless and inspiring Disney classic, with beautiful animation and songs, though I will admit it is not my favourite Disney movie. The second Cinderella was cute, but lacked originality and seemed lacklustre in quality. I watched this worried that it would be worse than Cinderella 2, which I still think is one of the weaker Disney sequels, and guess what? It was a huge improvement over the second in all departments. The animation is colourful and fluid, and on the whole beautifully done, with some very memorable scenes. And I really liked the music, true it isn't like the beautiful Tchaikovsky-inspired melodies of the original, but it is memorable and a notable improvement over the awful contemporary songs in Cinderella 2 that felt uninspired and rushed. I wish the mice had more screen time though, they were so cute in this one. The story is very clever and beautifully constructed, the writing is excellent, there are some inspired life lessons that don't preach, and the voice acting from all involved especially from Tress McNeille and Jennifer Hale is fantastic. And Lady Tremaine is a real villainess here. The film however is too short, there could have been more of the secondary characters like the King and the Duke and one or two scenes felt rushed. On the whole though, it is an above average and perfectly watchable movie, almost as good as the original, and a vast improvement over the second. 7/10 Bethany Cox
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
so good
jalo102811 February 2007
Let me tell you how much I loved Cinderella III. I always thought that Cinderella I didn't tell me much about the prince, and how "charming" he really is, so I never found Cinderella I a fantastic movie. There was no manly fighting for love on his half, but in Cinderella III, he tried and fight for her. It was like, that's the Prince Charming I'm looking for. And because I still think like a kid, I say you should listen to me on this. Cinderella III rocked socks. :) I absolutely loved it. I would shout it out in caps about how much i loved it, but this site won't let me. It gave my heart a tingly feeling and everything! and... it was some-what of a thriller! wow. that's the word. even my little brother loved this movie... and he's a little kid so buy this movie.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding!!
cylonlover10 February 2007
Cinderella III is by far the best Disney movie to be the final chapter in a trilogy. Most of the sequels and "final chapters" never have the chance to hold their own and try to be at least as good as the first, but this movie does it. We see the Stepmother turn more wicked than she was in the first film after she gets the wand. We see which step-sister is actually ugly and wicked. Anastasia's character really shines in this film. Though watching and dealing with Cinderella's newest problem, you also watch, laugh, and cry with Anastasia. You truly see what's in her heart and how she feels. I love the way she progresses and shows that though someone may come from a family of cold black hearts, that one person can still be warm and caring on the inside if given the chance. The Prince is given a new look on how sweet and kind he actually is and why he's "Prince Charming". The mice are lovable as always and almost even more and of course, Cinderella our Heroin... this movie deserves to be watched with an open mind. Yes, go and remember how the original story goes, but do not expect it to be as sugar coated, Cinderella III is for one that everyone will enjoy. When magic's involved... all bets are off.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must-see for the 3-9 year old set
danielle_gonzales15 January 2007
I had low expectations for this film *considering I'd never even heard of Cinderella II). But its actually cute. the songs are forgettable, but the story is creative and fresh. Like the way the stepsisters and Lucifer and not just incorporated but become a key component of this movie. The prince is actually given a personality - unlike other Disney movies that focus so much on the women that ya never get a peak into the dudes perspective. Lingering questions and disbelief are common in fairy tales, but this flick actually does a good job of addressing those questions up front. If you have a young girl, i say thumbs way up! If you are twenty- or thirty-something who grew up with Cinderella, find yourself a five-year-old and cue it up. anyone else -- don't bother.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than one would likely expect after "Cinderella II: Dreams Come True"
Electrified_Voltage22 February 2011
This is another one of many direct-to-video sequels to Disney animated features made in the past seventeen years, and the second sequel to the 1950 Disney version of "Cinderella". Both of these sequels were made over fifty years after the original. I saw 2002's "Cinderella II: Dreams Come True" earlier this month, and unsurprisingly, it didn't mean much to me. I didn't think this one, released five years later, would be any better until I saw that it had a significantly higher rating here, so even though it was another one of the Disney direct-to-video sequels, which are usually fairly weak, I had higher expectations for it than I did for the middle "Cinderella" film. While this film still can't match the original, it is above average.

The Fairy Godmother's magic wand falls into the wrong hands when she accidentally drops it in front of Anastasia, who has been spying on the couple's wedding anniversary and witnessing the Fairy Godmother doing her magic, and by doing so, she has found out how Cinderella and Prince Charming got together in the first place! She takes the wand back to mother Lady Tremaine and sister Drizella, and when the Fairy Godmother comes to retrieve it, she is accidentally turned into a statue! Now realizing this wand's power, Lady Tremaine uses it to reverse time and return to the moment where the Duke came with the glass slipper! Before Cinderella gets downstairs, her stepmother uses the wand to change the size of the slipper to fit Anastasia! Since Cinderella is the one who danced with the prince, she is determined to prove that she is the one. After her cruel stepmother and stepsisters leave for the palace, Cinderella secretly goes there as well, with her mouse friends, Jaq and Gus, to assist her. She thinks Prince Charming will remember her from the ball, but Lady Tremaine erases her from his memory!

The musical numbers in this sequel aren't that good if you ask me, and this already shows at the schmaltzy beginning, but the songs aren't exactly bad, either. At least they are sung by the characters, and are not like the pop songs performed by Brooke Allison and featured in "Cinderella II: Dreams Come True". The only exception here is "I Still Believe", performed by Hayden Panettiere, but we don't hear that one until the closing credits. The humour in this second sequel usually fails, with the sight gags that include conflict between Anastasia and Drizella, who make a huge mess in one of the palace rooms at one point. I don't think anything here made me laugh, not even the scenes involving the King, as much as this character made me laugh in the original 1950 Disney flick. However, I have no complaints about the animation in "Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time", and the story is the main thing that keeps this direct-to-video release from being boring, even if it wasn't 100% satisfying to me for some reason. It most certainly wasn't like I didn't care what was going to happen to the characters.

As with any direct-to-video sequel to a Disney animated feature, some fans of the original theatrically released movie (in this case, one which was made and shown in theatres long before the invention of the home video) are bound to hate "Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time". However, some fans of the 1950 "Cinderella" movie could be surprised. The premise sounded interesting to me before I watched the film, as much as some viewers might be disgusted by it, and may be the main reason why this particular Disney direct-to-video sequel is better than most of the many others I've seen. I almost feel I could rate it a seven out of ten, but not quite, and if I did that, it would mean I would be giving it the same rating I gave the original. I'm sure many Disney fans would consider that inexcusable! Still, even if you've seen "Cinderella II" and don't like it, you might not want to just assume that "Cinderella 3" isn't any better.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great twist on the original!
s-schneider11 February 2007
I have to admit that before watching this one with my 2 year old daughter, it seemed virtually certain that I'd be doing a great deal of groaning and yawning for the next hour and fifteen minutes. After all, a movie made for young girls, released straight to video, and branded with a 3 at the end of the title, doesn't really sound all that thrilling.

Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised! The artwork, score, and voice acting were all up to Disney's usual high standards. But I was most impressed with the writing / screenplay. Where the original Cinderella was and always will be a classic, I felt it lacked character depth. It was a wonderful movie… in its day.

C3's characters had real world problems and values. The plot was a great twist on the original. This one's a great little flick for any child or child at heart. I was surprised to see even my little 2 year old got emotionally involved in the story and stayed with it almost all the way through! At the end, I felt slightly disappointed that it wasn't released in theaters.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
brings better messages for kids than in the original
patty_flanagan25 March 2007
i loved this movie very much. i say this because in the original Cinderella is all goody goody and has dreams of getting away from her step family and all she does is sit around just waiting for something to happen. seriously people when kids see the original they will think that some random magical person will come and solve all their problems. although when you kids see this and also the first sequel (cinderlla 2 dreams come true) they will learn that something might happen to their magical person and that when you sit around doing nothing you wont get anything near of what you want (ofcoarse friends would also be helpful) also in both sequels Cinderella is much more independent and you learn a lot more about the other characters like the princes mother and the kings past and the stepmother is countless times more evil. and you also learn that one of the stepsisters want what Cinderella also wants. i love the songs epically "just a dream" and "at the ball". their is so much more comedy and more sweet moments with a lot of the characters and not just Cinderella and the prince. also you get a lot more information about the prince except for his name. i would give this about an 8/10 because i wish that Disney would put Cinderella's dead mother and father figure in the clouds or something watching her live happily. so to sum it all up watch this movie and your get a much more magical feeling.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From a young man's Perspective
The_Light_Triton13 June 2010
I might not have been around too long, but i've learned that when you're with a girl (In this case it's my best female friend) watching kid flicks or chick flicks is a whole lot easier. In this case I spent just a little over an hour of my time watching the 3rd Cinderella installment. And I can't believe i'm about to write this...it was worth it.

The evil stepmother is sick of seeing her former slave enjoying life with the prince. Every day she wishes for vengeance. She finally gets it in the form of the fairy godmother's wand. What leads is a real hard effort from Disney to fill the void between the first and second Cinderella movies.

First off, No sequel nor prequel can beat an original. But Cinderella 3 came pretty darned close. I usually don't say that about Disney movies, since most of the sequels are simply trying to cash in on whatever they can get. But Cinderella 3 had something special. I don't know what, it just did. Maybe a lot of young people can relate to Anastacia, for example. They just want to find the love of their life. Maybe we just wanted to see injury added to insult to the evil stepmother. Or maybe we need to see why Cinderella was so nice to Anastasia in Cinderella II. There's so many reasons why this 3rd installment isn't in the 3 out of 10 star rank with multiple negative comments.

I give it 7 out of 10. If your best friend wants you to watch it with her, go for it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's do the time warp again
Smells_Like_Cheese13 January 2008
Recently they've been advertising that Cinderella III: A Twist in Time along with the other Cinderella movies are going back into the "Disney Vault". I never wanted to see the sequels of Cinderella before, but do to the wonderful world of subliminal messages, I broke down and decided to rent the sequels. I watched Cinderella 3 yesterday and even though it was kinda weird, I don't think it was a continuation of the second Cinderella movie, it was pretty cute and a wonderful children's movie. The animation was a big improvement from the second Cinderella, it was a lot more bright and fun to watch. The story was a pretty clever idea, it was nice to see what happened to the wicked step mother and Cinderella's ugly step sisters.

Cinderella and her prince are just living happily ever after, nothing could be more perfect in her life. But when we visit the step mother and her greedy daughters who are living Cinderella's former life of yucky chores, but when one of the daughters, Anastasia, she sees the fairy god mother and steals her wand. The step mother thinks it's time for revenge on Cinderella and turns back time with the wand. Now it seems that the prince wants to marry Anastasia, and Cinderella gets squat. But when the mice find out about what the step mom did, they are going to make sure things get set back right with Cinderella and her prince charming.

Cinderella III: A Twist in Time is pretty fun to watch, it has a good story, fun songs, and just makes you go "Aww", all the ingredients to a decent Disney movie. As we know that many Disney sequels don't really work that well, normally since they're released straight to video or DVD, they're low budget and not that fun. Even though Cinderella III: A Twist in Time isn't up to Cinderella's original magic, it's still a fun little movie that I'd recommend for any child.

Better than expected.
PopSixSquish13 March 2007
The box claims it's got "more magic, wonder, and suspense than the original"--I knew there was no way that could be. But like Cinderella II, this "midquel" of sorts is semi-enjoyable, and not a TOTAL atrocity.

Now to put a time frame on Twist, understand that it starts a year after Cinderella has married the Prince. Lady Tremaine magically rewinds time to the moment when the Grand Duke shows up with the glass slipper in the first film. Thus the first segment of II, starting right after Cinderella's honeymoon, has already happened in the beginning of Twist, but time is then rewound; the third segment with Anastasia and the Baker happens entirely after Twist; and the second segment, which was the stupid little story about the mice, is completely irrelevant. Got that?

It becomes pretty clear, really. So in Twist, they have built on the second one instead of ignoring it, as I had expected them to do. At least, Twist has an original plot. With the exception of Jacques & Gus' song, and the one at the end, the music in Twist is lame. The whole movie still has that "I'm not even going to try to live up to my original" sequel feel. The animation, while it looks good overall, is actually horrible upon close inspection—so horrible, in fact, that it's absolutely hilarious. I mean, usually I have to slow down and pause the movie to see all the hysterically funny individual frames of the characters, but in this one, I saw amazingly exaggerated, hideous, hilarious things go right by on the screen, though we were obviously not supposed to notice.

Depth is added to certain characters; we meet the King's Queen (albeit in paintings), and discover a truly romantic side to the goofy King. The Prince, instead of being a personality-free, rhino-hating, long-eyelashed nobody like he was in II, is now a really nice, humble, long-eyelashed main character with a less formal and more modern attitude. It's a bit ridiculous, but so is everything else and it makes for some great lines and expressions. What depth there is in this film comes mostly at the part where Cinderella's walking aboard the ship to be banished. Cindy also ends up having to be kind of tough, escape danger, protect Anastasia from a spell aimed at her by her own mother, and foil the diabolical plans of Lady Tremaine involving Anastasia as a 'Twinderella.'

I felt as if they were combining elements from other Disney films, like Tarzan, Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid. I mean, when the King was showing Stacy the Kingdom I expected him to warn her against going to the elephant graveyard. Since we know Stacy's going to find true love with a baker, we can see why she's portrayed sympathetically from the start. Drizella spends the movie making wisecracks and it seems that she's too greedy and attached to her mum to take the step towards redemption that Stacy has, but she's fully capable of it. It's a bit disturbing to hear Lady Tremaine say "Bibbidi bobbidi boo" so much, but she does, and Stacy lets her talk her into all kinds of trickery before getting her lesson about true love (that it's the most powerful kind of magic there is, that her mom doesn't get it, blah blah.) She finds out she wants true love, but she's not going to get it from the Prince, and she winds up refusing to split him up with Cindy.

The humorous parts: Well, as always the Grand Duke and King are outrageously funny. Now, the Prince is pretty funny himself. Drizella is a repulsive pig (in more than one way—watch her face when Tremaine brushes her hair, please) and Stacy is the worst dancer in the world.

OK, the one thing that angered me about Twist was the one character I really liked from the second one, the one I thought saved it and made it any good. I was, admittedly, pleasantly shocked to see that she'd made it into this movie at all. But Holland Taylor's voice talent was pretty much wasted and it's almost as if they shouldn't have included Prudence at all. I mean, she is drawn completely differently and looks incredibly weird now. Her eyes are no longer green. She disappears before the movie is half over, and doesn't interact with anyone but Cindy. She had basically no purpose and was nowhere near as cool as in the second one. I can only say it was neat to see her in the castle before the time of the second movie. Additionally she revealed that she's supervised for 30 years, offering a clue to how old she is. But anyway, the best couple by far in Dreams Come True was her and the Grand Duke. I didn't expect any more character development in Twist, after all, it's before the point where she dances with him and we see that she's not exactly as she appears to be. It's just that..I don't know, I wanted something more than the absurd scenes they gave her. It's no coincidence that the King threw her onto the Grand Duke at the royal banquet, in that segment it's pretty obvious in the beginning that he and Prudence like each other and do a bit of flirting. I thought we'd at least see them together in one of the portraits at the end. I certainly didn't expect them to be married and having kids or anything because again, this is before they actually hooked up. But, still…I felt Prue was dreadfully underutilized and didn't meet her potential.

Except for the shameful things like that, Twist was worth a watch or two.

1,000-word limit? Bah. I had more to add. Just see entry 57948 on Quittikat's LiveJournal for it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it really wasn't that bad
angeelalala12 February 2007
i actually thought that this movie wasn't that bad. when i heard that a Cinderella 3 was coming out, i was like..when did they ever make a Cinderella 2. so i did some online searching, and i found the Cinderella 2 summary and it somewhat rang a bell. but i guess if Cinderella 2 was any good i would have remembered it. but Cinderella 3 like i said really isn't that bad. i love the whole plot to the movie, makes you really think what would have happened if Cinderella never got her fairy tale prince and all. some of my favorite parts was when the prince jumps out the window, i just love his facial expressions and how he does it, it looks like hes trying to fly. lol. well yea, if you have kids or anything, you should at least give this movie a chance, maybe you might like it yourself
Best Disney Sequel
faye_murphyblonde14 February 2007
WOW i loved this film i cannot tell you how excited i was when i got home to watch Cinderella 3 beings 19 my friends think i am mad for beings so obsessed but it doesn't matter you will love no matter how old you are. The story line is a lot better than the previous sequel and i personally think more original. There were some things that did bug me though as a true Disney fan i kept picking out the characters voices and where i have herd them before. Anastacia's singing voice is Ariels from The Little Mermaid however her voice is slightly altered to suit the character and the Prince in Cinderella 3 has the same voice as Prince Eric also from The Little Mermaid 2.

BUT GO OUT AND PLEASE WATCH/BUY THE FILM IT WILL NOT DISAPPOINT LIKE SO MANY OTHER Disney SEQUELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like it!
btalksmuch10 February 2007
My mom and I just finished watching this movie and I liked it a lot. Just the way it was made and what happened. I found the song that the mice sing (At the Ball) was really funny and I was trying to find it on the internet, but I haven't found it yet. I hope that a soundtrack of some sort comes out or they release at least some of the songs on an EP. That would be really cool. I liked what happened in the movie. When I first found out that they were making another movie and what was going to happen in it I was a little upset because I didn't want the story to change and I didn't want it to be turned around in a 360 degree turn, but I'm really glad what happened and it was a really good movie.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Phenomenal
magnusplin4 January 2016
Cinderella III: A Twist in Time is the story of what happens if Cinderella had never tried on the famous glass slipper. On the anniversary of Cinderella and Prince Charming's marriage, one of the stepsisters, Anastasia, finds the Fairy Godmother's wand in the forest. Cinderella's stepmother, Lady Tremaine, uses it to reverse time to the day Cinderella tried on the glass slipper. However, Lady Tremaine makes the glass slipper fit Anastasia before Cinderella has a chance to try it on. Cinderella must outwit her stepfamily and win back the prince.

OK, so what makes this movie so good? First of all, the animation is absolutely GORGEOUS. It's smooth, clean, and flawlessly accompanied by bright colors. I'd even go so far as to say the animation is comparable to that of the original movie's. Secondly, the characters are lovable and stay true to how they were in the original movie. We have, of course, our wonderful protagonist, Cinderella. She is, in my opinion, the most beautiful Disney woman of all time. I love that, even though she has more badass scenes and is more proactive (not that she wasn't in the original), she's still the same person we all know and love from the original. She's kind, caring, patient, witty, and is willing to be the better person. Props to Disney for treating one of their most beloved and iconic characters with respect. We get the lovable mice from the original, as well. Jaq and Gus are likable and full of personality as ever, and it helps that they have such wonderful voice actors that effortlessly bring them to life. Lady Tremaine is just as much of a bitch-bag in the movie as she was before, and Drizella is hilarious. Anastasia's redemption arc allows her to perform one of the most selfless acts ever to grace a Disney movie, and that's saying a LOT. Especially considering who Anastasia IS. And who can forget about the King, the Grand Duke, and Prince Charming (who has more of a personality in this movie than in the original)? The music in the movie is beautiful. With the exception of "Perfectly Perfect Year", every song in this movie is just phenomenal and fits with the scene it's in perfectly. The score is fantastic, and the effort is shown in what we hear in the film. I'd even say that the score of this film is on par with the score of the original classic.

If there are any flaws with Cinderella III: A Twist in Time, it's that, in my opinion, the Fairy Godmother isn't very well-portrayed in this movie. In the original movie, she puts the wand away and takes it out when she truly needs it. In this one, she's highly careless and loses her wand when she flings it out of her sleeve, causing Anastasia to find it. Also, Prince Charming is given some modern humor that feels slightly out of place.

All in all, we have a genuinely great movie that's interested in a lot more than just moneymaking. There are many Disney sequels that feel like a cash-in on existing property. Thankfully, that is not the case with Cinderella III: A Twist in Time. No, it is not as good as the original Cinderella. How could it be? However, this is a worthy sequel that is much more than a money-grubber.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My second favourite in the Cinderella franchise
Stompgal_8714 June 2013
As I may have mentioned already, I own this film alongside the original and 'Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True.' This is one Disney sequel I had forgotten about until fairly recently and like the second film, the Nostalgia Chick, who finds this the most tolerable out of all Disney sequels, prompted me to watch this.

The film opens with a song that I found surprising because when I heard it in the Nostalgia Chick's 'Top 5 Least Awful Disney Sequels,' I thought it was just Cinderella and the Prince's song while I thought Anastasia and Drizella's part they sing as they wash the dishes (which I saw as a separate clip on YouTube) was a totally separate song altogether, whereas they were singing the complete opposite to Cinderella's part - likewise with Anastasia's solo part where she sings about someone who loves her being nearby. While the beginning of the main plot appears to be using recycled animation from the first film (for example Cinderella being locked in the room), it still makes sense to some extent. Like the second film, the pace is consistent with fluid and colourful animation for a direct-to-video/DVD release.

As well as the pace and animation, the best aspects of this film were Anastasia and Drizella getting more screen time in this film than its predecessor, Jaq and Gus's hilarious re- enactment of Lady Tremaine stealing the Fairy Godmother's wand to undo Cinderella's spell, Anastasia turning into a Cinderella clone towards the end and Lucifer turning into a convincing human during the climax. I also found the Prince calling Cinderella 'Cinderelly' rather comical since he picked it up from the mice. The downsides of this film include the songs apart from the opening number being forgettable and Anastasia wanting to marry the Prince since she found love in 'Dreams Come True.' I even thought that if Anastasia had wanted to marry the Prince in the second film, then it would have made sense for her to fall for the baker in this film as a second chance.

All in all, this film is slightly better than 'Dreams Come True' and just as good as the original. 8/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney has been improving it's sequels - this is no exception
ridiculonius14 June 2009
I, like many of those avid Disney fans out there, was outraged by the release of several sequels - such as Hunchback II, Cinderella II, Mulan II, etc. However, I think that Disney has realized that nobody really likes those crappy sequels - even the kids - and so has been upping it's game when it comes to straight-to-DVD-sequels; lately, the attempts at thirds has been actually quite good. After the success of the hilarious Lion King 1 1/2, the third Little Mermaid (Ariel's Beginning) definitely made par - Cinderella III: A Twist in Time also lives up to the standard set by both it's predecessor and what we've come to expect from Disney sequels.

Cinderella is married to Prince Charming and living in the castle - her stepmother, Lady Tremaine, and her stepsisters, Drizella and Anastasia, are stuck doing all the chores she used to to. Jealous of Cinderella's happiness and craving her own happy ending, Anastasia manages to steal the Fairy Godmother's magic wand. Lady Tremaine, determined to get revenge on her stepdaughter, uses the wand to take them back in time and alter the past, so that Anastasia's foot ends up fitting the glass slipper. Also with the help of magic, Tremaine enchants the Prince so that he thinks Anastasia is the girl he danced with at the ball. Cinderella, with the help of her mice friends Jaq and Gus, must now fight for her happily ever after.

I never liked Cinderella - I accept it as a timeless classic; I know it was groundbreaking for both animation and for film-making at the time it was made, and respect it for that. However, I never liked the story of a helpless heroine getting all she wants just because she has a good heart and befriends rodents. At least in the Grimm version, she had to really try to get her man (and there was some gore besides), but the Disney film really watered down the original grit.

Thankfully, the grit was brought back in this second sequel - Cindy has to do so much in this film to get the Prince to remember her (such as overcome exile, kidnapping, and defeat a human version of the diabolical cat Lucifer) that we really see her turn from a worthy girl benefiting from Karma into a determined heroine. And, since the Fairy Godmother is frozen at the beginning of the movie, she must battle Tremaine's magic with nothing but her own wits.

Cinderella III: A Twist in Time recaptures not only the drama of the Grimm fairytale, but also the magic of Disney hand-drawn animation, an art form that has been lost in the flashiness of CGI. I love computer-animated films, don't get me wrong, but I find they lack the intimate and personalized style of 2D animation. Somehow the beauty of hand-drawn animation manages to capture a humanity in characters and landscapes that you simply can't get with a computer - it turns the film into a work of art instead of just a movie. While this film's animation hasn't the beauty of other Disney flicks, it still retains enough of the magic to keep you riveted.

All in all, despite obvious issues with Disney sequels, Cinderella III: A Twist in Time brings an interesting plot, more three-dimensional characters, and a little Grimm touch to an undeniable classic - all the while retaining the intimate feeling of hand-drawn cartoons.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinderella 3...... Good or bad?
lilmufasa221 July 2008
When you compare this to say The Return of Jafar or Cinderella 2, it is much better with a warm story and no useless new characters that have important roles. However, when you compare this to The Lion King 2 or Aladdin and the king of thieves, this film doesn't even match. Still this the first sequel i was actually rating from awful to great. The original was much better but this is one of those good Disney sequels up there with: Lion king 2, Aladdin 3, Little Mermaid 2, Kronks new groove, and of course lion king 1 1/2. The villain has much more screen time so you get to understand what she feels rather than when she didn't show rage and was cool and collected in the original.