Igor (2008) Poster

(2008)

Well, I Liked It
ccthemovieman-122 February 2009
I don't know why this movie doesn't get more positive recognition; I thought it was terrific, and I've seen most the feature-length animated films of the past several years. This holds it own against most of them.

For an animated film, it has exactly what you want: fantastic colors and colorful characters -most of them very funny and entertaining to view and hear - and a good story with some interesting twists to it. The artwork in this film is just amazing, especially on Blu-Ray. (I've discovered that's how to watch these new animated movies - in high-def, because most of them look awesome. This film certainly is no exception.) There were many times I just wanted the freeze-frame the picture and take in all the wild artwork. I might do that on a second viewing.

Also no surprise is Steve Buscemi, who always gets humorous roles in these animated films and makes everyone laugh. He usually plays a rat, too. I mentioned that to a friend and he said, "That's because he looks like one in real life." I wouldn't go that far, but I understand where he's coming from.

Actually, all the leading voices - Buscemi, John Cusack, Molly Shannon, Sean Hayes, John Cleese, Jay Leno and more were all great. I'll give a special nod to the voice that cracked me up more than all the others, the one of "Hedi," done by Jennifer Coolidge. She was hilarious!

If you enjoy the famous Frankstein monster story, or wild characters in a monster-lab-type setting, you should enjoy this parody. It's an underrated film and looks super on DVD.
37 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Igor : fun and entertaining
verandii22 September 2008
Let's clear something out of the way right now : Igor is an animation movie, but mainly not for children. Kids will not understand most of the jokes as the topic for most of them are intended for an older audience. There is, however, a visual comedy that will apply to younger viewers, but overall I think this movie targeted teenagers and adults.

People will like Igor based on what they expect from the movie. If they expect it to be like Wall-E and other Pixar movies, you probably will be disappointed. Igor has it's good sides and bad sides. The visual side was breathtaking, the setting is beautiful, with unorthodox character design. However in some cases, like the king of malaria, it seemed like a copy of Nightmare Before Christmas' mayor, and that was disappointing. The story is not too bad, but not the best. It lacked a bit of depth at some times, but it is still amusing and entertaining.

Overall Igor is a good animation movie. It's not the best, definitely not the worst. It's definitely worth seeing for animation fans, people who like Tim Burton's work (as the design in the movie is similar to his style), and anyone who wants to enjoy a light story with a happy ending.
38 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun little film, not the best in its genre but still worth watching
rjray20 September 2008
As a fan of CG animation and cheesy horror, I was really looking forward to this one. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, and not nearly as good as it *could* have been, given the talent. But the premise was nicely original, and the actors put in some good performances. Steve Buscemi steals almost every scene he's in, and Eddie Izzard was really good. Jennifer Coolidge was another standout, as was Sean Hayes. I think Cusack made a very funny character, certainly more fun to watch than the Disney lead in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The animation style is very reminiscent of The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride. Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was a nice break from the steady diet of comic book films and action films I've had this summer.
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthwhile comedy-horror fun
dfranzen701 March 2009
In this animated comedy adventure, John Cusack plays the titular character, a sweet, intelligent lab assistant to an evil mad scientist who creates life, much to the chagrin of the mad-scientist community, in the, uh, person of a giantess named Eve. Although it's completely computer animated, the movie recalls such stop-motion-animation fare as The Nightmare before Christmas and the recent Coraline, not to mention the old Universal monster classics, whose old clichés get tweaked a few times.

Igor (it's both his name and his profession) works for Dr. Glickenstein (John Cleese), who's desperately trying to make an evil invention to enter into the Evil Scientists Fair. See, King Malbert (Jay Leno) believes that the town can prosper only through these evil inventions, what with the farming community destroyed by climate change. Meanwhile, Igor - our Igor - is much smarter than he lets on, as Igors are stereotypically supposed to be dumb, slurring oafs good only for fetching things and pulling switches. Igor, in fact, has already made two inventions - a snide, suicidal-yet-immortal rabbit (Steve Buscemi), and a dumb robot with a brain (Sean Hayes).

Circumstances lead Igor to try to make his own evil entry - the creation of life itself, something the real evil scientists have never been able to accomplish. The result: Eva, a giant, giant, giantess who's... well, not evil. This is because her Evil Bone must be activated, see; to do so, Igor even takes her to get brainwashed, but instead of horror images Eva somehow watches an episode of Inside the Actor's Studio with James Lipton, so when she emerges she's a struggling actress who's on her way to a big audition.

Personally, I found this movie a whole lot of fun, probably because a) I love the old monster movies that are just skewered here and b) I love animated movies, too. John Cusack, one of my all-time favorites (I've seen more than thirty of his films) is great as the not-quite-evil lab assistant, and the animation is top notch, with wonderfully realized backgrounds that recall those old monster movies quite well. Steve Buscemi is an absolute hoot as Scamper, easily stealing every scene he's in - he gets all the great lines, but it's Buscemi's comic timing that make them come alive. So to speak. There's also a contextually perfect soundtrack, including a bouncy tune by Louis Prima called "The Bigger the Figure." Molly Shannon, who voices Eva, also delivers a fun, appealing performance.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a fun movie
cbankston-123 September 2008
This was a great animated film. A little twisted fun! The actors were great and the music was such a nice surprise! Clever, clever, clever. Steve Buscemi as a suicidal rabbit and Sean Hayes as a STUPID brain play so well off one another! Jennifer Coolidge is one of my favorites and she doesn't disappoint. She plays two characters and is great. Arsenio Hall was really funny. Welcome back Arsenio! I haven't been familiar with Eddie Izzard's work, but he does such a wonderful job on this film. I would definitely watch the age of the child you bring. Eight and older seems appropriate. This movie is a good mix of dark and light. Adults and children can appreciate this movie.
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not wonderful, not terrible, kinda fun
Hack_Writer_7720 September 2008
King Malbert (Jay Leno) rules the world of mad scientists with flashy clothes and dark storm clouds. As such, the mad scientists all clamor for the honor of winning the royally-sponsored "Science Fair". Each scientist has their own right arm, an Igor, with optional Lorre-esquire manner. When one scientist's efforts leave nothing but his actual right arm, however, his Igor (John Cusack) sees a chance at greatness, in activating his own monster. But is he too good to be evil? This one's a sleeper in every sense, which is kind of a good thing. Although it's a grand year for animation, with ambitious offerings from many studios, sometimes you look for something a little simpler. Igor excels at that. There are just a few things that keep it out of the "great" category, so let's point those out first. Technically, there are a few instances when the lip-sync is off, probably due to shuttling, as noted below. A noticeable number of the jokes (and a couple of songs) have the feel of being recycled from other animated films, which is never good. This being an animated comedy, that naturally hampers the story a bit. Although pop culture references (a recurring complaint on various message boards) are kept to a bare minimum, the ones used...well, grate on the nerves a bit.

The good parts: the film is beautiful to look at, in a "Tim Burton" fashion. The tight animation is well-serviced in digital; a feat in itself, since the credits reveal that this thing was literally made around the world. Visuals of the environment are consistently stunning. The stylized design does help to endear you to the characters, who themselves are a parade of great ideas, with voice talent that shows some thought. Examples include Igor's pals: the surly Scamper (Steve Buscemi), a reanimated roadkill rabbit, with the tire track to prove it, and Brian (Sean Hayes), a disembodied brain in a machine, named by way of dyslexia. There's also invisible talk show host Carl Cristall (voiced most appropriately by Arsenio Hall) and the villain's girlfriend, a shallow, multi-personality fashion plate called Jaclyn Heidi (well-voiced by Jennifer Coolidge). Even the James Lipton cameo is oddly appropriate.

So, in short, what works really works, and what doesn't really doesn't. It will likely be a welcome dollar peep once Halloween is closer.
28 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really liked this movie.
itshappybunny713 March 2009
I really loved this movie. The music, which happened to be one of my favorite types of music, was cheerful, compared to what I expected to hear in the movie. Igor looks as cute and adorable as a puppy with those big eyed. Brain and Scamper remind me of Billy and Mandy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, with Brain being dumb and cheerful like Billy and Scamper being smarter and grumpy like Mandy. As for Eva, I think she is very pretty for someone who looks like a giant rag doll. I love how Igor changed from wanting to be an evil scientist to a nice person. Also, this movie reminded me of Wall-E. Both Wall-E and Eva had feelings for someone (Eve and Igor), who didn't seem to have those same feelings. At some point, both Wall-E and Eva have been changed so that they don't love, and both Eve and Igor showed how they really feel. And of course, I have noticed that the couples from both movies (Wall-E/Eve, Igor/Eva) have the girl being taller than the guy, which is something I rarely see.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very cute twist on the classic tale
Dragoneyed3632 March 2009
What I found in Igor was nothing more than pure fun and entertainment. I was delighted every second while viewing it by how interesting and enjoyable it actually ended up being. Though the movie itself isn't the best movie of all time, it tries as hard as possible to be memorable, and even though it was a bit bland and mediocre around the edges, the movie doesn't fail at just having a good time. The character of Igor for me was absolutely unable to hate, and all the other characters are so intriguing as well that they make the film unable to look away from. While this movie did get boring at times, it is just so cute and it has a lot of humorous and sweet scenes. It still of course isn't a masterpiece, but it's a film that anybody in the right mood could have a decent time with and I recommend it if you can appreciate if for what it is.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twisted fun (more fun than most kid's movies), and just a little coco-nutty!
madmaxmedia21 September 2008
I took my daughters (7 and 3) to see this movie today, knowing absolutely nothing other than seeing about 5 seconds of a TV commercial. I am normally relatively picky about what my kids see, but decided to join a friend who was going anyway. Plus my daughter loves Tim Burton, and this was at least stylistically similar.

I thought this movie had a cool twisted sense of humor, and much more original than the typical warmed over rehashes we normally get from a lower-budget CGI flick. And guess what- not a single fart joke! That alone means it meets my very low expectations for what passes as children's entertainment these days. Unofortunately, I think it is a little too off- kilter for most, thus the small marketing budget as well.

A nice little take on the classic Shelley Frankenstein tale. Not sure why the accusations of Nightmare Before Christmas rip-off, Frankenstein was obviously the source material for this story. Which is a very good thing in my opinion. Me and my daughters liked it a lot.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cute animated film, with some scary moments (but nothing serious)
Mightyzebra17 January 2009
I enjoyed "Igor" because its messages, humour, the characters, the cast chosen and the CGI was terrific. The messages explain that we all can be evil, but we do not have to be evil and can make our own decisions - an incredibly good message that all too few people in this world seem to grasp. The humour can be dark and slapsticky some of the time, but there are a great deal of very entertaining one-liners. The characters are all likable, even the baddies (the most featured baddie, voiced by Eddie Izzard, is extremely good and mainly because of Izzard). All of them are well-planned and have an important part in the film. The cast chosen were very good, including the comics Eddie Izzard (mentioned earlier) and John Cleese (he hardly appears, but is an important character). The CGI is almost always dark, a sort of creepy purplish colour. All of the characters, objects and places in the film are well- animated. While they do not look realistic, they still look impressive.

In "Igor" (which is based on Frankenstein), we come to the kingdom of Malaria, where everything is evil and the sun never shines. In the kingdom are a group of evil scientists who make evil, destroying inventions each year for the annual evil science fair. The scientists have hunchbank servants, all called Igor. There is one Igor who is slightly different from the rest. He wants to be more than just another "Igor", he wants to be an evil scientist. He has already created an immortal rabbit (who does not want to live) and a robot with a big brain - a rather idiotic brain, I hasten to add. Will Igor manage to live up to his dreams, and create an invention to win the science fair..?

I recommend this fun, watchable film to people over the ages of 8 (this may look like a children's' film, but some children might be scared easily by this film, as there are a few gruesome bits), to people who like madcap creepy fantasy films and to people who like CGI animation. Enjoy "Igor!" :-)
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and funny for kids and adults
pugetsoundtransfer26 September 2008
The movie was funny and entertaining for me and the kids. Not nearly as scary as "Nightmare before Christmas" for kids. The Igor character is likable and the sidekicks are excellent. The voice talent is matched up with the characters very well. This is one of the best kids films we have been to see at the theaters in a few years. It is right up there with Cars. We may go see this movie again at the theater and I am sure the DVD will keep the kids entertained again. It is great that an independent company can produce an entertaining film and we don't have to just wait to see what Pixar puts out. Go see this movie for yourself, you will not be disappointed.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun film, but not in any way a masterpiece.
garfield271031 January 2010
After watching "Igor" I didn't know what to think. It seemed a little dark to be a children's film and delivery was late. However, after I gave it some thought, I realized I liked the film better than I first thought. This movie, while not brilliant, is actually kind of fun. This is one of the few attempts to make a children's dark comedy, probably because kids wouldn't understand the things played for comedy should never be done in real life. Take Scamper, for example. He is an immortal, who doesn't want to be immortal. So he tries to kill himself various times, but of course he doesn't dies. While funny on screen, it is not funny in real life. Don't get me wrong this movie can actually be funny and even at times clever. However, it lacked magic. There was nothing that made me wish there was more (except for maybe Scamper) and very little heart. Don't get me wrong, this is a good film, but don't expect "Citizen Kane". Expect a cheesy, dark, but sometimes funny animated film that unfortunately doesn't 100% satisfy.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good fun, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting
Smells_Like_Cheese27 September 2008
Naturally most fans of The Nightmare Before Christmas who saw this trailer were interested in seeing Igor, it was the dark humor we craved around Halloween, not the typical safe humor used in most children's movies. I couldn't wait to see Igor, we have an awesome cast and what seems like a great story that was made for entertainment. So I saw this opening day with great hopes, but I left the theater a little disappointed, while it's a cute movie and is fun to watch at times, this was technically a failure when it comes to what I was expecting. I thought this was going to be funny and just a delight to watch, but it turned out to be predictable, the animation was mediocre and the humor at times was a little off key with the story. I'm not saying this movie was a total disaster, it's cute, it's worth the look, but like I said, the story doesn't add a special touch to make Igor stand out against other animated films.

Igor is... well, and Igor, he's been trained specially for this job to serve a master who doesn't have the screws tightened quite right in his head. Igor doesn't want to be an assistant, he wants to be an inventor, and after one of his master's inventions kills him, Igor sees an opportunity to create the most evil invention of all and finally be respected as an inventor, with the help of his two friends/practice inventions, he creates Eva, a female Frankenstein type of monster who's not exactly monstrous. After trying to brain wash her, she gets the wrong message and wants to become an actress, Igor figures a way for her act evil and win the competition, but realizes that maybe having a heart of gold isn't so bad. But he still has one more problem, another inventor who is trying to take over will do anything to get ahold of Eva and rule the city.

This movie is worth the look, I'd just say if you're going to go to the theater for it, I'd recommend a matinée, it's fun for your kids and I will say that there are some fun laughs and despite the story's predictability, it's still enjoyable. You really enjoy the comic relief from the two friends that Igor has, a cat who is immortal and a brain who isn't the smartest tool in the box, but they had great chemistry and gave the scenes some relief on the humor. I did like the movie, but it just didn't stand out to me, seeing it once was enough, I was really pulling for this movie, we need a new fun Halloween movie, but unfortunately Igor doesn't cut the cake.

8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
stichy at best
justin_of_the_dead19 September 2008
Igor flip the channel. I'll start off by saying i really wanted to like this movie. I've been looking forward to it for more than 2 months now and I was completely blown away by it's lack of humor and uninspired script. I'm a big fan of John Cusack and he does a good job with the voice acting but honestly there's no shining light to this film. It's the biggest disappointment of the year for me and i strongly suggest anyone hoping to see a fun movie to look elsewhere. It was long, tedious and felt stitched together. The movie isn't funny and may be too complicated for the younguns and is too childish and uninspired for adults. If you like horror comedy with a playful twist i suggest you simply go out and buy Nightmare before Christmas instead. I hope this could help, i wish i would've read a similar review beforehand.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Failed attempt at multi-generational film-making and film-making in general
Simon_Says_Movies23 October 2008
A staple of any family oriented animated film, past, present and I'm certain continuing into the future, is that it must appeal to both old and young alike. This can represent any sort of balance of splendid animation that stimulate the senses, pop culture references that give the adults a guffaw and of course generally competent film-making. Not only does Igor fail spectacularly at reaching a broad audience spectrum but fails at almost every other tier of film-making at the same time. To be blunt, I am a sucker for animated films. Looking over my archive of films viewed in the past, animated features are the one genre of movie that continues to be of a solid calibre. There are obvious missteps, such as with films like as Madagascar, but with the creative minds associated with studios like Pixar, Disney and the finally blossoming Dreamworks, who pump out a few flicks each a year, achieving widespread failure is difficult. Not only did I essentially hate Igor, but it is one of, if not the worst animated film I have witnessed. In its attempt to appeal to the masses, Igor plays it dark and sinister and boasts a similar vibe to the Gil Kenan faux pas Monster House and as such will not find an audience with children. At the other end of the table, director Anthony Leondis effort to insert inside jokes and mature humour falters complimentary to the former, as none of these jests are particularly insightful nor funny and results in a mediocre experience all round. In summation, we have a film that kids will not understand, and that adults will simply find to be a poor movie. I was continually surprised by the macabre and depressing components of Igor, and would most likely make even Tim Burton squirm. Even a simple plot summary reveals the bleakness and sometimes unnerving subject matter that it evident here. In the cloud consumed land of Malaria, evil reigns. The black-hearted King Malbert (Jay Leno) encourages widespread acts of evil and malice over the entire kingdom. In this dark place, the scientific community are represented by half-dozen or so prestigious, but mad scientists. Looming on the horizon however, is the yearly evil science fair in which the most brilliant minds compete to create the most evil invention imaginable. Malaria is land of quirky and eccentric creatures, bizarre architecture, as well as being a place where "Igor" is no longer a name, but a verb. Every mad scientist has their own "Igor", which essentially pertains to their hideous appearance and servant-like place in society who exist solely to "pull the switch". In this specific Igor's (John Cusack) castle, it is the hunchbacked sidekick that is the true brains behind the operation, so to speak. His master Dr. Glickenstein (John Cleese) continues to falter and does not heed the advice of his subordinate or that of Igor's creations including a robot named Brain (Sean Hayes) although labelled with permanent marker incorrectly, much to his chagrin, as "Brian" and Scamper (Steve Buscemi) a suicidal reanimated rabbit. (Yes, you heard me; he continually and morbidly commits suicide throughout the film. Oh, and did I mention his is immortal?) After a disastrous failed experiment Glickenstein is killed, and Igor excitedly takes the reigns to ensure victory over his invention stealing nemesis Dr. Schadenfreude (Eddie Izzard) and floozy sidekick Jaclyn (Jennifer Coolidge). His dream is to create a life of pure evil, and in true Frankenstein fashion, he constructs a large and hideous monster named Eva. (Derived from a mispronounced "evil", but also eerily similar to the name of WALL·E's love interest, Eve in summers vastly superior film) The one small problem…Eva is not eva enough, and thus is useless for his competition. Yet after befriending the creature, he is torn between achieving the respect of colleges, and finding what may be love. With elements of violent death, suicidal rabbits, betrayal and general emphasis on evil, such a macabre take on the popular "Hang in there" poster, featuring the cat clinging to a clothes line, which this time round features a dead cat dangling from a noose. At the conclusion there is the essential moral teaching about being who you want to be and thus forth, but the ride is not a fun one to be on. Despite the lean running time the storyline seems fragmented and meanders wildly at times. Scene stealing moments by Buscemi can't save the failed multi-generational gimmick and mediocre voice work from the remaining cast; this is not prime family entertainment and like its protagonist, will end up being an outcast itself.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyable!
jemps9189 October 2008
Really enjoyable! Igor and its cast of oddities are absolutely lovable! Igor is about the land of Malaria, which produces evil inventions and where the evil scientist is king. If you're born a hunchback, you are automatically an Igor, a generic evil scientist's assistant whose main job is to "pull the switch!" upon command. But one Igor (John Cusack) is different; he dreams of becoming a scientist as well, and has already made a few inventions of his own: his sidekicks Scamper (Steve Buscemi), the immortal Energizer bunny with a deathwish, and Brian (Will & Grace's Sean Hayes) the dyslexic brain who might be a bit too gay for his own good. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, Igor gets a chance to invent something really big that may just win him the praise his genius finally deserves.

The plot is fairly original; the punch lines may be a bit trite sometimes but are still delivered well so they still work. The situations can be shockingly too dark for children but can be appreciated by adults who just want to have a good time. The animation is incredibly moody but quirky and unique, reminiscent of Tim Burton's creations though more tongue-in-cheek and not as depressing. No wonder Igor is so funny; its writer Chris McKenna also wrote for American Dad and its director Anthony Leondis was involved in the similarly humorous Emperor's New Groove 2 and Lilo & Stitch 2. It also helps to have a strong cast (that also includes talented comics John Cleese, Jennifer Coolidge and Molly Shannon) that fit their characters v. well.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Waste Your Money
brc197419 September 2008
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. My kids were so excited to see this movie and it was such a flop. Halfway through the movie several people were leaving. My family does not get to go to the theater very often to watch movies and it really ticks me off to spend my hard earned money on something like this. The whole movie had a dreary feel to it. At one point a rabbit gnaws off is foot....that is about what you feel like doing by the end of the movie. I think my 8year old could come up with a better movie than this. There was really no funny parts whatsoever in this movie. Do not waste your time seeing this terrible piece of crap they call a movie.
17 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" In the Land of darkness, there is really only one way out. Find the Light "
thinker16914 May 2010
This strange inventive movie is straight out of the same ghostly, nightmarish imagination of the same company which produced such great films as 'The Nightmare before Christmas.' In the far away land of Malaria, there lives a odd population of Evil Scientists and their able hunchback assistants all called Igor, who together via yearly for the coveted award of Mad Scientist of the Year. Each of their murderous creations must be as monstrously evil as possible so that King Malbert (Jay Leno) can threaten the outer world with their release if they don't pay him to keep the monster locked up. However this year, one particular Igor (John Cusack) wants to evolve into a Mad Scientist himself and create the ultimate monster. Together with a number of recognizable Hollywood voices like John Cleese, Steve Buscemi and Eddie Izzard assemble to craft what will most likely come to be known as a creative Classic. A movie designed for the entire family. Recommended. ****
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark and witty. Definitely for the admirer of the genre.
john_the_revelator-122 September 2008
I went in to this movie with no real expectations. This was a nice surprise for a Saturday matinée. The humor is dark and quirky, something that one wouldn't expect kids to understand, unless you're talking about a very cynical 5 year old or a pre-goth 11 year old.

This movie's message was substantial in that it demonstrated several themes, at least to me. The first is that stereotypes are something that should be thrown out of the window and that through getting to know someone who isn't like you can open your eyes. Second, people have different abilities - and some may be too shy or scared to really shine so it's difficult to know them. Third, we choose who we are and that we all have the propensity for malicious decisions, so we must make our decisions with conscientiousness and wisdom. Fourth, real loyalty and friendship overlook individual differences and can't be swayed.

The animation was at a level one expects this day and age - excellent. Steve Buscemi's (Mr. Pink as he will always be known to me) role as the Rabbit kicked butt. Oh, and of course, schadenfreud (the act of taking pleasure in someone else's misery) deserves a mention. Never did I expect that to be worked into an animated movie.

There was some intensity in the movie, and one of the main characters "turns on" the evil in the end, which can be frightening and perhaps confusing to small kids.

It was good to watch on the big screen, and I'm looking forward to its release on DVD for at least rental, and a probable buy.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ease up a little
jsmith-34820 September 2008
Give us a break, will ya? No one expects a movie like this to equal "WALL-E" or "The Iron Giant"! Granted, it rips off "Nightmare Before Christmas" unabashedly (was anyone else as bugged as I by the shameless similarity between Malaria's King Malbert and "Nightmare's" Mayor?); and it has some pretty flat writing in spots. But there are good jokes ("Jaclyn/Heidi"; a "Yes Master's Degree") -- and you gotta love Eva, with the way she riffs on the Frankenstein tradition. Instead of misfit who can't figure out how to act right in a normal world, she's a maladjusted do-gooder in a kingdom of darkness. And that Louis Prima soundtrack -- some songs sounding like they were written just for this movie!

I sat through it with a handful of families, and the kids sure liked it a lot. My guess is, it'll become one of those mid-level films like "PageMaster" or "Surf's Up" that some kids watch again and again.

Not great; but by no means the disaster it's made out to be in other reviews here. . . .
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Fun
miami9210 November 2008
I absolutely loved John Cusack and Sean Hayes performances in this film. The digital animation was splendid. Great to hear Arsenio in the film. Jennifer Coolidge caught my attention. Her performance was colorful and was executed masterfully. I do feel the film is directed at adults and older children, even though younger children will love the visual surroundings in this animated film. They may not understand much of the actual banter in the film, but the characters are definitely out there and really easy to mesh with.

In conclusion, I think although this film is not the best film I have seen, it does draw in the audience with the brilliant performances by the cast, and the sheer genius of the animation.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nice Treat, But Somehow Lacking
gavin694222 September 2014
Animated fable about a cliché hunchbacked evil scientist's assistant (John Cusack) who aspires to become a scientist himself, much to the displeasure of the rest of the evil science community.

"Igor" is the first animated feature film produced by Exodus Film Group and the French CGI animation studio, Sparx*. Work was split between the studio's Paris and Vietnam facilities, and despite a large array of celebrity voices, the film ended up becoming rather obscure. While not a smashing success, the film did earn a small profit. (This would also likely be the last film from Sparx*, as they were acquired by Virtuos shortly after.)

Rotten Tomatoes writes, "With an animation style that apes Tim Burton, and a slew of cultural references that aren't clear enough to reach the crowds, Igor's patched together antics make it hard to see who the film is trying to please." This sums it up very nicely. The animation is clearly Burton-inspired (the king looks an awful lot like Halloween's mayor), and much of it was hit and miss. Fun, yes, but never a home run. Trying to pinpoint where it went wrong is difficult, though... something just feels off.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Originally a 7 but after having found it more entertaining second time around, I'll give it an 8
Stompgal_8716 August 2013
I first saw this film when I rented it four years ago and it was creative but the majority of it was not very memorable. Up until now the only scenes that stood out were those where Igor's creation calls herself Eva when he tells her she was doing evil things and those that referenced 'Annie (of of my favourite musicals as a child).' When I heard this film was showing on Viva (a music and entertainment channel in the UK), I decided to give it another chance and I found it even more entertaining second time around.

While the animation was decent and the dialogue was dark and witty, the characters were modelled in unique, surreal ways, although Heidi in particular looked a bit plasticky, a lot of the backgrounds were not as colourful as the characters and props and the special effects were rather cheap. Nevertheless, I found the side-characters of Scamper the rabbit and the robot-and-human-organ-hybrid Brain (mistakenly named Brian once or twice) very funny, the background music's mood ranged from spooky to tense to joyful and I liked the swing/jazz-type songs and the hilarious 'The Bigger the Figure,' a parody of Largo al Factotum from 'The Barber of Seville' as well as the gorgeous end-credits song. The film did remind me of any 'Frankenstein' movie and 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' due to the main character bringing a woman to life and having a hunched-back. As for the writing, it had traces of word play (the character of Jaclyn and Heidi being a female version of Jeckl and Hyde, the second I've heard of since childhood favourite 'Julia Jekyll and Harriet Hyde'), irony (the blind orphans singing 'I Can See Clearly Now' at the end) and pop- culture referencing (in particular 'Annie'). I also liked how the Invisible Man was depicted as a TV show guest and commentator but I found the name of the film's setting Malaria rather depressing.

Overall, this film was worth a second look even though it doesn't live up to the standards of Pixar and Dreamworks CGI films. 8/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'It's better to be a good nobody, than an evil somebody'
Chrysanthepop5 November 2010
It's a shame that this little film did not receive the deserved acclaim. Anthony Leondis's 'Igor' may not tell a story that is completely original but it's a nice and fun adaptation of Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. It has all the ingredients of an amusing adventurous animation film. The atmosphere and colour created by the vivacious animation draws the viewer and the colourful characters keep one involved. The actors that include Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, Molly Shannon, Sean Hayes, John Cleese and Jennifer Coolidge, behind the voices of the characters do a remarkable job. Coolidge is particularly hilarious with her weirdly funny accent as Heidi. Writer Chris McKenna does a very good job in adapting the story and making it lighter in order for it to appeal to children as well. However, I must add that the film is targeted at the young adult audience than children because many of the jokes are for 'grown-ups'. That does not mean that children will have less fun. Even though McKenna has made some big changes from the original, the heart of the story pretty remains the same even though this one ends on a more positive note with a different message. However, perhaps as a result, the story sometimes lacked in depth and a few little things remained unexplored. Yet, this flaw is very minor and doesn't ruin 'Igor' from being wholesome family entertainment.
Seriously flawed
marcusdean11827 October 2008
A great voice cast is wasted here. The jokes were not funny. What is an animation without a few laughs? I couldn't count the number of punch lines that went down with silence in the theatre, and this was one packed with kids! The idea is not too bad if not heavily influenced by other work. Cleese is not in it much, but he wasn't particularly funny when he was in it. To waste Cleese is a sin, but to waste Cleese, Izzard and Buscemi is something else.

The animation is annoying as we have seen so much better from Pixar. If this film had been given to Brad Bird, we would have seen a better and more successful movie. With this version i was only left with the question. Would this of ever been made without Tim Burton?
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.